Current time frame for home renovation contractors

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Xrayman69

Current time frame for home renovation contractors

Post by Xrayman69 »

Beginning to consider the process for kitchen and bathroom updates in our primary home (Seattle) and for a condo (Midwest major city).

Just wondering for those currently booked and scheduled or in the process of starting the bid process what are your time frames with regards to months out or backed up and are the cost of materials leveling off for your projects?
lazynovice

Re: Current time frame for home renovation contractors

Post by lazynovice »

From bid to start is a little hard to say because some of the lag from bids was due to our time to obtain multiple bids. From narrowing to one contractor and refining his bid to start is looking like a month. From contract signing to start, about three weeks. We are in Colorado and since the work has not actually started, take the start date with a grain of salt.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

Material availability drives construction schedules.
Topic Author
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Californiastate wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:02 pm Material availability drives construction schedules.
Has your local (presumably in California) material availability time begin to decrease or remain stagnant. And what is your material availability time for various materials ?
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Highly reputable licensed and insured General Contractors that have an excellent project record and high standards will have the longest time frames. Time frames shorten proportionately from there on down to contractors and so forth that are less in demand for various reasons.

J🌴
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ironman

Post by ironman »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:03 pm Highly reputable licensed and insured General Contractors that have an excellent project record and high standards will have the longest time frames. Time frames shorten proportionately from there on down to contractors and so forth that are less in demand for various reasons.

J🌴
If a contractor can get started within a week run!
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

Xrayman69 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:37 pm
Californiastate wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:02 pm Material availability drives construction schedules.
Has your local (presumably in California) material availability time begin to decrease or remain stagnant. And what is your material availability time for various materials ?
You'll need to check with your local wholesalers for a comprehensive list.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

You probably will find long timeframes for cabinets. I know one who does a lot of cabinets and there is usually 2 to 3 months before they will accept an order.
Topic Author
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

carolinaman wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:10 pm You probably will find long timeframes for cabinets. I know one who does a lot of cabinets and there is usually 2 to 3 months before they will accept an order.
Will suggest to DW that we begin the process of self learning what she wants and thus have a well developed plan when decking on a future contractor and wait until labor and supply chain more favorable. Our last major renovations took place in 2009 and was very efficient as both contractors and materials availability was favorable to the homeowner.
hand

Post by hand »

Am in process of committing to decent scope home renovation with anticipated start date September / October.
In terms of supply shortages, GC seems to have good process of identifying and ordering commonly delayed materials upfront.
Word is that higher end windows / cabinets have fewer shortages and delays than builder grade.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Starting a kitchen remodel in greater Minneapolis area. All custom cabinetry shops we met with were booking installs into November. The larger builder-grade manufacturers were similar and are adding pretty substantial fuel surcharges that made their inferior product nearly as expensive as the custom stuff. Counter shops won’t measure until cabs are installed, so add probably a few weeks for that. Cabinetry is basically driving our entire schedule.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

we just finished up basement remodeling right now...
just need finals, so have some current experience

Some contractors wouldn't even bid (distance too far... nowadays, even before the fuel increases, the good contractors have enough business that they don't want to have to travel far... many have limits of under 30 miles !); if the build isn't big enough they'll just pass on it... It took a bit but got one- - had to jump and complete permit application (got it very quickly as I'd submitted very detailed plans, with adequate documentation... the GC was surprised at how quickly I got it done, but it wasn't my first RFP)- - that allowed it to be started about two and a half months after permit/ contract.

Currently... the GC I used is fully booked until about March; If I hadn't got my permits as quickly... my job wouldn't have started until Nov/Dec. (He does both residential and some commercial and has multiple former union subs for parts he doesn't do (especially just labor intensive, like drywall finish). He's noted that he already has enough repeat business that he's likely not gonna take any more new clients.... OP, that's likely what you might find for good contractors nowadays... Good Luck.

Make sure you clearly define Scope of Work, try to at least identify which materials you want (in your case, specific sinks, faucets, tiles & backsplash, cabinets, etc)... this will help in determining timeframes and make it easier for permitting (in our case, due to existing bath, it allowed us not to need any plumbing changes or permits for plumbing)
Topic Author
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Just as an continuation. Started to look at solar panels for roof recently, received 5 responses within 24 hours with offers to come out within days to provide estimates and start. Interesting how fast it’s available.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

It is wildly variable now. We hired a highly reputable general contractor in August 2021 who was available to start May 2022. He offered to start Nov 2022, no short notice, and we declined due to the wet weather that month. He started on time and finished (on budget), with significant subcontractor hiccups and issues finding the correct clear cedar (Canada not exporting), in about September. I worked to get a single 4x12' metal roofing panel for about one year, but it finally arrived. The GC was able to swap out subcontractors to fit our needs within days.

In contrast, we have a neighbor who did his own GC work and a project in April 2021 that it is not done and won't be done until 2023. They will have had two winters with Tyvex flapping in the wind outside their living room. He can't get contractors to show up.

Another neighbor started a project June 2022 but was unable to start the exterior paint work so it appears to be sitting all winter until June or July 2023 for paint completion.

Neighbor three has removed all the siding from his ADU, did some window work, re-wrapped it and now appears stuck with winter in progress and no siding. They seem to chip away at it on sunny days so it may get done this year.

Lesson learned - go with the best general contractor you can find. Be clear on your expectations for quality and timely completion. Be ready to wait to start and to pay them well.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Ralph Furley

Post by Ralph Furley »

I'm in the middle of some simple renovations: two new decks, new roof, exterior paint job, etc. My initial contact with the contractor was back in July... so I had to wait several months for them to get started. I asked this contractor if things were slowing down now and he said "not at all".
Tyrael314

Post by Tyrael314 »

Just did a complete bathroom gut job here in the Northeast. Hardest part was getting multiple bids in a timely manner. After we picked a contractor he was able to start the job within a month or so. He said normally it would have been longer but we are a 3 minute drive from his house so he was happy to bump us up.

Wife picked out all the finishes and materials ahead of time and we bought everything and stored it at the house so there was no delay because the tub was on backorder etc.

Good luck!
"A society grows great when old men plants trees under whose shade they know they shall never sit."