AC Condenser Fan Motor Replacement Cost

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sophiainvests

Re: AC Condenser Fan Motor Replacement Cost

Post by sophiainvests »

Thanks, Tibbitts!
I am very interested to hear your view, as I was kind of surprised at the plumber's proposal to replace the kitchen faucet since I've replaced the washer in our bathroom faucet successfully (maybe $2 investment), after two previous plumbers did it over the years... and a plumber has replaced the cartridge in our shower faucet (can't remember the price, but as part of a bigger visit maybe $70 just for the cartridge replacement). Is kitchen faucet a lot different/ more risky? It's Delta and I've seen videos online that don't mention the corrosion issue and don't make it seem too hard, but if the plumber sensed corrosion may be a problem (faucet I believe is just 10 years old or less), maybe it's a real issue. This plumber at first said $250 for the work (if we purchased our own faucet), but later brought it up to $375 as they would need to purchase the four supply lines for us. Can't remember the materials, but he planned to use something different than our current copper pipes. Anyway, the drip is at the level that it can be stopped/ prevented if you position the single lever perfectly when turning it off, but a bit of a hassle to get it right. (Sorry for getting so into this, maybe I should find a plumbing thread - but the relevance is this is the same company that just fixed our AC ; )
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

sophiainvests wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:14 pm Update: Some progress on researching AC repair people. My mom's friend uses someone who we think is a solo practitioner that is $99 per hour. Interested to find out what's the difference with a big company and whether solo practitioners are able to get the parts under warranty from the manufacturer for you, or even if they can't if it's a lot cheaper to use them and just get new parts. I wonder if it makes sense to continue to use the big company for the twice annual checks and the solo guy for repairs. Or if the solo guy might also be better for the annual checks. I am also thinking of the possibility of having the solo guy come over and check out the noise problem with the unit that the company guy didn't end up getting rid of with his expensive 15 minute condenser fan motor replacement. It crossed my mind that under the company's business model it just doesn't make sense to try to get down to the bottom of the rattling if a big fee/ part replacement is not involved. I've been researching online and the finding seems to be if the noise is pretty loud compared to usual, there is something that can be done about it. (We had the same company's plumbing guy come out and when I showed him a drip in the faucet his answer is you might as well replace the faucet and lines. He said it might well be corroded and then he couldn't fix the drip without replacing it, so might as well go straight for the replacement given how they charge, but now I'm wondering about that.)
If you find someone knowledgeable and reasonably priced, I'd absolutely use them for the annual checks. I doubt it'd be more expensive than the big company, and it's good to establish that relationship so that if they're busy during your emergency, they'd be inclined to prioritize your job rather than decline it.

Replacing a faucet can be more economical than paying labor to replace seals. Not sure about replacing lines, but if we're talking about the flexible hoses to an indoor faucet, then it's not a bad idea to proactively replace them if they're getting close to a decade old, rather than risk them bursting or leaking.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

sophiainvests wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:19 am Thanks, Tibbitts!
I am very interested to hear your view, as I was kind of surprised at the plumber's proposal to replace the kitchen faucet since I've replaced the washer in our bathroom faucet successfully (maybe $2 investment), after two previous plumbers did it over the years... and a plumber has replaced the cartridge in our shower faucet (can't remember the price, but as part of a bigger visit maybe $70 just for the cartridge replacement). Is kitchen faucet a lot different/ more risky? It's Delta and I've seen videos online that don't mention the corrosion issue and don't make it seem too hard, but if the plumber sensed corrosion may be a problem (faucet I believe is just 10 years old or less), maybe it's a real issue. This plumber at first said $250 for the work (if we purchased our own faucet), but later brought it up to $375 as they would need to purchase the four supply lines for us. Can't remember the materials, but he planned to use something different than our current copper pipes. Anyway, the drip is at the level that it can be stopped/ prevented if you position the single lever perfectly when turning it off, but a bit of a hassle to get it right. (Sorry for getting so into this, maybe I should find a plumbing thread - but the relevance is this is the same company that just fixed our AC ; )
I don't think the kitchen faucet is more risky, but it takes me about the same amount of time to replace a sink faucet as to do a repair the first time (when I'm trying to figure out how the faucet comes apart, what parts I kneed, etc.) Someone who repairs faucets all day long would of course already know how to disassemble and repair almost any faucet so that might be faster for them. A tiled-in faucet like a shower is usually much more difficult to replace and I would certainly try to repair that. I have a couple of faucets with the position-exactly-in-the-middle problem too. They're 30 years old Deltas. I could replace them myself but really need to replace the sink. And the blue Formica countertop. And repair the woodwork and the walls. Partly because of all those things being in "matching" condition, so far I've been lazy and just close the faucet in the middle position. If it's an older installation you might have copper all the way to the faucet but with newer installations the last couple of feet will usually be flex line, and I always replace the flex line when replacing a faucet. There will probably be some corrosion in any older installation, partly depending on the water in your area.
Topic Author
chuckwalla

Post by chuckwalla »

sophiainvests wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:41 pm Well now that the probably overpriced AC co has replaced the condenser fan motor and left, it seems to me the noise is back up to being as loud as before.
If it's rattling noise, sounds like you have some missing/loose screw(s) holding the panels together and has nothing to do with the motor.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I recently repaired our 7-year-old Kohler single handle pull down kitchen faucet. It had slowly lost pressure, both hot and cold, and was getting down into dribbling territory.

I cleaned the head, holes and screens, and there was very little grit considering that we are on a shallow well. Cleaning helped a little, so I removed the head and soaked it for a few hours in vinegar. Not much improvement at all.

Okay, so I ordered a $15 cartridge/faucet valve and a day later thanks to Amazon, I removed the handle and switched cartridges. No improvement. Back to the head. I found the serial number on a tag on the unit's cold water line and looked it up on the Kohler site. Nothing there. I messaged the number to Kohler and had the head part number in less than 2 minutes. For $31 I had one from Amazon the next day - we are surrounded by Amazon facilities and 10 miles from the airport - and had it hooked up in 10 minutes and the faucet works like new.

Fwiw, the head has a switch for stream or spray and a button to interrupt the water flow. After rudely hacking the thing apart it appears the button interrupter was corroded, working but stuck within a limited range of movement and causing all the problems.

Not counting the aggravation, $46 fixed it. An identical replacement is $290 at HD and $310 at build.com/Ferguson.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

andypanda wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:16 pm Not counting the aggravation, $46 fixed it. An identical replacement is $290 at HD and $310 at build.com/Ferguson.
That's probably something I hadn't considered, since most of my faucets cost closer to $46 to replace.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

JDave wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:24 pm The cheap capacitors are made in China, and well, they're made in China. Amrad capacitors are the only ones made in the USA and cost about 3x the Chinese ones. Amazon sells the Chinese and the Amrad capacitors.
They used the Amrad on my last capacitor repair. Probably easier to just keep these universal ones on the truck so he can make the switch immediately, which at the time (party in 100%+) I was thankful for. They are US-made and have a 5-year warranty and hopefully will last longer than the cheaper versions.
https://amradmanufacturing.com/products ... 00-family/
random_walker_77

andypanda wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:16 pm I recently repaired our 7-year-old Kohler single handle pull down kitchen faucet..
I cleaned the head holes and screens... Cleaning helped a little, so I removed the head and soaked it for a few hours in vinegar.
...I ordered a $15 cartridge/faucet valve and a day later thanks to Amazon, I removed the handle and switched cartridges. No improvement. Back to the head. I found the serial number on a tag on the unit's cold water line and looked it up on the Kohler site. Nothing there. I messaged the number to Kohler and had the head part number in less than 2 minutes. For $31 I had one from Amazon the next day ...had it hooked up in 10 minutes and the faucet works like new.

Not counting the aggravation, $46 fixed it. An identical replacement is $290 at HD and $310 at build.com/Ferguson.
This is a great illustration of the difference and cost savings to DIY. If you're willing to spend the effort, and maybe take a couple detours, then the parts are almost always relatively inexpensive. Hiring a pro to spend the time, making multiple trips, and charging $75/hr, it doesn't matter if they're 3x more efficient than you are, it's going to be a very expensive labor bill and so a outright replacement is more economical, even if it means more stuff goes into the landfill
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

andypanda wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:16 pm I recently repaired our 7-year-old Kohler single handle pull down kitchen faucet. It had slowly lost pressure, both hot and cold, and was getting down into dribbling territory.

I cleaned the head, holes and screens, and there was very little grit considering that we are on a shallow well. Cleaning helped a little, so I removed the head and soaked it for a few hours in vinegar. Not much improvement at all.

Okay, so I ordered a $15 cartridge/faucet valve and a day later thanks to Amazon, I removed the handle and switched cartridges. No improvement. Back to the head. I found the serial number on a tag on the unit's cold water line and looked it up on the Kohler site. Nothing there. I messaged the number to Kohler and had the head part number in less than 2 minutes. For $31 I had one from Amazon the next day - we are surrounded by Amazon facilities and 10 miles from the airport - and had it hooked up in 10 minutes and the faucet works like new.

Fwiw, the head has a switch for stream or spray and a button to interrupt the water flow. After rudely hacking the thing apart it appears the button interrupter was corroded, working but stuck within a limited range of movement and causing all the problems.

You should have called rather than message for the part number. Kohler faucets have a lifetime guarantee. I called for troubleshooting assistance with mine and they fed ex'ed me a new cartridge. Had it the next day for free.
https://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpn ... 511-12.pdf
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Call and wait on hold? No thanks.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

Then use the same messaging system you used. Ask for the part on stated warranty rather then part number info.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Maybe next time. Maybe not. The part I wanted to replace on a longshot wasn't broken.
sophiainvests

Post by sophiainvests »

Thanks chuckwalla on the thoughts on the AC condenser noise to potentially be rattling due to loose or lost screws on the panels. Interestingly, the guy from the AC company who replaced the condenser fan motor noticed if he pushed the outside of the condenser unit in a certain place, the noise got a lot less. But when I asked him if he could fix it, he said "no." Today I noticed the sound is pretty much as loud and similar to before they replaced the motor. I also tried pushing on one side mid-right with hands and knees and sound got much dampened. Very interesting! I wondered whether that's evidence it is indeed probably loose or fallen screws of the panels in that area, or if instead the body contact with the unit is just serving to dampen the sound throughout. If it is screws, I'm surprised the AC company wouldn't be able to figure that out and just fix it. Are such screws impossible to get to or something? Or is our AC company (or at least the guy they sent) super lazy and only interested in bigger bill items like replacing the condenser fan motor? He did use an electric device to tighten all the screws on the outside, but that didn't make a difference. He did at one point mention "loose" stuff could be causing the noise, but at another he said it was probably that the coil was deformed and nothing that could be done about that.

Random Walker: good point on using the solo AC guy or small company for the biannual checks to develop rapport/loyalty if we can find someone good. I think I have been feeling more confident in a medium to big company for that since they probably have a standard checklist (and I know very little, but especially that we don't want our house to burn down due to AC electrical issues or hopefully not have AC go out in summer or furnace in winter), but maybe such standard checklists would be industry wide, so anyone (perhaps with a license?) would be just as good as some random person from the big company? Is there something to ask to make sure they will provide a decent seasonal HVAC check-up?

Tibbitts and Random Walker: For the kitchen faucet drip, I'm sort of a new DIY person, so changing the springs/washers may be the best I can do if I DIY, though now I understand why Tibbitts would just change out the whole faucet. We still have copper pipes coming down from the faucet, so I figure they are longer lasting than the flexible ones. The big news is I sent photos to Delta Faucet and they identified ours as 300 series and told us the part, but they didn't mention the "ball" (this is single handle faucet) which I'd seen sometimes get damaged in videos. I wrote back in combination with a call to Delta and asked if they would supply the parts for free though we don't have a receipt and also asked about this ball and corrosion. Amazingly, they are sending us a "standard repair kit" that is supposed to work with this model (though the first person had written back about springs/washers specific to this model). They said the balls are very sturdy so don't think that's the problem. And they did not think corrosion would be an issue that would prevent the job from getting done and require total replacement as the plumber had told us. I'm pretty amazed. Their criteria for home owners to get free repair parts I think is that the faucet was purchased from a valid Delta source and the home owner is the same one as when it got installed. I sure wish American Standard would have done this with our bathroom sink and shower faucets which I had a hard time finding parts for in the past! And it does make me want to get more Delta fixtures in the future...

Thanks so much to everyone in this thread. Feel very enlightened now compared to where we were before.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

" I also tried pushing on one side mid-right with hands and knees and sound got much dampened."

Our 3-year-old fully variable Lennox XP20 unit rattles when it's running at or near full speed on 95*F days, but I cannot hear it inside the house and it's located on the end of the house facing the woods so I grin and bear it. The sheet metal is so thin I can almost totally eliminate the rattle with one fingertip pushing in the center of a louvered panel.

The manufacturer saved a lot of money by making the panels lightweight and would probably say they are saving the planet by using thin metal approaching the thickness of heavy duty aluminum foil. Okay, I exaggerate, but not much. Flimsy, flimsy, flimsy.
boglefannyc

Post by boglefannyc »

andypanda wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:39 am " I also tried pushing on one side mid-right with hands and knees and sound got much dampened."

Our 3-year-old fully variable Lennox XP20 unit rattles when it's running at or near full speed on 95*F days, but I cannot hear it inside the house and it's located on the end of the house facing the woods so I grin and bear it. The sheet metal is so thin I can almost totally eliminate the rattle with one fingertip pushing in the center of a louvered panel.

The manufacturer saved a lot of money by making the panels lightweight and would probably say they are saving the planet by using thin metal approaching the thickness of heavy duty aluminum foil. Okay, I exaggerate, but not much. Flimsy, flimsy, flimsy.
This Youtube video is about possible reasons for a noisy A/C. His other videos about A/C problems and how to DIY are very good. As always, safety first if you aren't sure what you're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sW14-QELUU&t=692s
random_walker_77

sophiainvests wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:43 pm Random Walker: good point on using the solo AC guy or small company for the biannual checks to develop rapport/loyalty if we can find someone good. I think I have been feeling more confident in a medium to big company for that since they probably have a standard checklist (and I know very little, but especially that we don't want our house to burn down due to AC electrical issues or hopefully not have AC go out in summer or furnace in winter), but maybe such standard checklists would be industry wide, so anyone (perhaps with a license?) would be just as good as some random person from the big company? Is there something to ask to make sure they will provide a decent seasonal HVAC check-up?
At a company, you might get the new hire who's only been doing this for a season or two. For a solo guy, they've probably already done their time w/ a bigger company, and now they've struck out on their own b/c it's more lucrative to own your own business than to take a salary from a larger company. They'll know the checklist. You can ask them what they do for biannual checks? How many years have they been in the business? And how long have they owned the company? It's not rocket science, but experience is good, and of course, they should be licensed and insured. (Also, how are their reviews online?)

Keep in mind that regular maintenance is the simple stuff. Tearing out and installing a new system is a lot of work ($$$) but moderate complexity. Diagnosis and repair of a malfunction is the complicated part.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"This Youtube video is about possible reasons for a noisy A/C."

Nice video, but the only noise coming from ours is from the tinny panels. They don't sound like imitation thunder made with a good piece of sheet metal or like someone playing a musical saw, they just vibrate a little.
sophiainvests

Post by sophiainvests »

Thanks, Random Walker - Appreciate the advice on our potential shift to a solo guy. It's reminding me that with our current company, once when we had problems and complained they send us their best guy (who indeed seemed great), but the rest of the time they don't. I guess the main downside of the solo guy is if he's unavailable (e.g. gets covid, etc.) right when one's AC breaks down. But maybe knowing of an alternate through friends could address that issue.

Boglefannyc - Appreciate the video link. By the way, I've been watching a lot of them and just found a brief one (link below) where the guy puts pads on the inside the condenser under the compressor and then wraps the compressor with some different stuff. I've heard the compressors could be the thing that might be causing our noise, so was interested, but haven't heard anyone else recommend this so was wondering if it is a legit plan (for an outside unit) or actually would not be recommended due to problems it might cause. I would be really great to have a much quieter condenser unit if techniques like this for the compressor and perhaps a few other things could really damp out a lot of the noise. I have also seen blankets for the whole unit advertised, but directly addressing the problem (if it is the condenser) seems to be more on target to get rid of the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCUlnxJB58c
EDIT ADDED 8/12: Browsing the internet on this, I found one discussion thread in which some are suggesting wrapping your compressor would not be good if it was not originally designed for that. Others seemed to think it was an option. Some implied putting pads under the compressor (inside the condenser) might be okay.

AndyPanda - do you think in your case it could be the compressor causing the rest of the unit to rattle? I've checked all our outside screws and they seem firmly in place. Still trying to figure out what's causing the noise.
Last edited by sophiainvests on Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

It's probably the fan ever so slightly out of balance, but only when the fully variable unit is running wide open when it's either 90+F or in the mid-20s. It did it before the compressor was replaced too. It's just thin, thin, thin sheet metal. They save money making it and save a little weight shipping it, etc. Penny pinching.

Did I mention the fan blades are sort of flimsy, too?

I was browsing HVAC-TALK the other day and the pros were comparing notes on old outdoor units after one member started a thread celebrating the 50th birthday of an outdoor unit he services. In the pic it appeared to be built like a tank.
ItzaHoot

Post by ItzaHoot »

I just had a 3.0 ton heat pump w/electric strip heat for emergency/backup system replaced in Florida. This was a turnkey job with a new Lennox 15 SEER condenser, new air handler in the attic, new concrete pad for the condenser, new digital thermostat, all labor and installation costs, and hauling away and disposing of the old equipment. 10 year compressor, 10 year parts, and 1 year labor warranty, plus twice a ear checkup for 2 years. Total price was $8,800. Next day service and very professional.

First contractor I called for repair/quote was $109 for service call which didn't fix anything and I later saw where some wiring was cut, the low voltage transformer was removed, and things left disassembled. I was given a quote that was seriously skimpy on details for a little over $5,000 and two to three weeks to probably repair the old system. This was followed up b a call from "the manager" with a verbal $12,000 for a 2.5 ton system, no other details and he said just give him my credit card number and he would have a new system installed the next day. I requested a detailed quote (several times) with no response. He called again a week later and tried the just give my your credit cad routine again. NO thanks.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I finally got my 1993 fan and fan motor replaced plus both capacitors. Total cost was a bit over $300 for Lennox OEM parts (vs $1400 quoted for parts and labor). Took me about an hour. The old fan motor was really wedged in tight and the fan was not separable. Easy fix.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
wander

Post by wander »

Years ago when I was lazy, a HVAC technician replaced capacitor for my condenser fan for $220. I would pay $300 - $400 (part included) for replacing a fan motor; otherwise, I would replace both capacitor and fan motor for $200.
yakers

Post by yakers »

Anyone have their fan and/or condenser replaced by American Home Shield (AHS)? We have their coverage and they have been OK on some other services. Good couple times on gas pipe fix and electrical but not so good on one plumbing issue). I suspect my condenser will need to be replaced and I am wondering aout doing it proactivly or waiting until failure and having AHS fix it.
akpk

Post by akpk »

I paid $425 just for capacitor change in bay area. This was first time I was getting it changed and didn't realize that similar good quality capacitor can be bought for $50 on amazon. You live and learn I guess.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

sophiainvests wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:10 am Thanks Mel, j9j, nydoc!

Mel, that's pretty interesting you got a relatively high quote for this condenser fan motor replacement labor ($500) with same situation (part under warranty), though not as high as us ($627 member, $679 nonmember). I am starting to wonder if it is a big time sink for the AC repair co to get the parts under warranty and that's why they charge so much for an hour (or less?) of labor associated with a warranty. I wonder if I were to ask them for future repairs if they can tell us the part and let us get it on our own how they would respond. And, wonder then how much the bill would be. Did you use the same company to purchase and install the new condenser unit? How much were parts and labor if you recall?
Actually, I bit the bullet and purchased a new a/c unit for just under $8k. Because of the hot weather, it's been running overtime ever since. Got a new 10-year part and one-year labor warranty.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
sophiainvests

Post by sophiainvests »

Just wanted to update that the firm that charged us a lot to replace our condenser fan motor came to do our fall check and I requested they double check the condenser as we originally had them come out due to noise concerns and the noise had not reduced when the condenser fan motor was replaced. We also requested a different technician this time. This technician turned the compressor off and things got real quiet, so he concluded the compressor is the problem and quoted $1900 or so for an under warranty compressor to be gotten (paperwork only I guess) and installed. It's interesting to me that the first guy who came this summer re our noise issue did not do this kind of test to see if the compressor was making the noise (or if he did, he did not tell us). At the same time, I'm not sure if turning the condenser off and finding that the noise stops confirms the condenser is defective? He didn't say we needed to replace now, but said the noise means it is likely to go out sooner than it would if it was not making this noise. He said he didn't think purchasing pads for the four corners to reduce the noise would help -said he thought it would just shift the noise elsewhere, such as we'd get noise from the copper wires. I noticed when we press on one side with our knees the noise goes away, but he said that there was not a way to permanently recreate that pressure from our knees to stop the noise. If we decide to replace the compressor while it's still under warranty we are going to look into a solo provider one of our friends use - we've heard the provider is something like $100 or so an hour. How many hours would it take to replace the compressor and do the paperwork to get the compressor under warranty? I guess one question is whether such providers will process parts warranties for us? But I would imagine they must do that as many customers will have systems still under warranty. I am guessing it is going to be a lot less than $1900.
EDIT: Just read that replacing the compressor is a lot of work, such as a full day's work. The company also indicated to us had the part not been under warranty, parts and labor would be around $6,000. The unit is about 8 years old and I think the warranty is 10 years.
enad

Post by enad »

akpk wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:53 pm I paid $425 just for capacitor change in bay area. This was first time I was getting it changed and didn't realize that similar good quality capacitor can be bought for $50 on amazon. You live and learn I guess.
I was quoted $250 for each capacitor on two outside units and $175 each on two inside units (in the attic where the furnaces are at). I thanked the tech for letting me know, then pulled one from each and bought them on eBay. They were GE capacitors and I paid $60 for all 4 and replaced them myself. This was 5 years ago.

I have electrostatic air cleaners in the ceiling in the hallway on each side of the house. One Power Supply failed and Honeywell wanted $550 to replace it. I went to their depot and bought a new unit for $75 and replaced it myself. I wouldn't mind paying a tech but with the markup I just have to do it myself.
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

sophiainvests wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:16 am Just wanted to update that the firm that charged us a lot to replace our condenser fan motor came to do our fall check and I requested they double check the condenser as we originally had them come out due to noise concerns and the noise had not reduced when the condenser fan motor was replaced. We also requested a different technician this time. This technician turned the compressor off and things got real quiet, so he concluded the compressor is the problem and quoted $1900 or so for an under warranty compressor to be gotten (paperwork only I guess) and installed. It's interesting to me that the first guy who came this summer re our noise issue did not do this kind of test to see if the compressor was making the noise (or if he did, he did not tell us). At the same time, I'm not sure if turning the condenser off and finding that the noise stops confirms the condenser is defective? He didn't say we needed to replace now, but said the noise means it is likely to go out sooner than it would if it was not making this noise. He said he didn't think purchasing pads for the four corners to reduce the noise would help -said he thought it would just shift the noise elsewhere, such as we'd get noise from the copper wires. I noticed when we press on one side with our knees the noise goes away, but he said that there was not a way to permanently recreate that pressure from our knees to stop the noise. If we decide to replace the compressor while it's still under warranty we are going to look into a solo provider one of our friends use - we've heard the provider is something like $100 or so an hour. How many hours would it take to replace the compressor and do the paperwork to get the compressor under warranty? I guess one question is whether such providers will process parts warranties for us? But I would imagine they must do that as many customers will have systems still under warranty. I am guessing it is going to be a lot less than $1900.
EDIT: Just read that replacing the compressor is a lot of work, such as a full day's work. The company also indicated to us had the part not been under warranty, parts and labor would be around $6,000. The unit is about 8 years old and I think the warranty is 10 years.
I guess I wouldn't assume a manufacturer is required to allow you to use someone who is not an authorized dealer to replace a warranty part, especially if there is an authorized dealer available. But I'm sure someone else will know.
sophiainvests

Post by sophiainvests »

Great point, tibbetts! I just checked Carrier's website and indeed they indicate "Our Factory Authorized Parts are currently only available to Carrier dealers for repairs."

So how do the much more reasonably priced solo or small company AC people that were suggested earlier in this thread do business? Are they only able to do non-warrantied part business? Is it still cheaper to use them and just get new parts? I'm assuming that all these dealers are going to be like our current AC company and charge in the environs $1900 labor/ processing of part to replace the compressor, when maybe a small shop would charge substantially less for the labor. Or could I be wrong and some of the authorized dealers would be more economical than ours? Maybe some are very small shops?
sophiainvests

Post by sophiainvests »

PS. Still researching this, but I found a smaller AC company (maybe just one guy and some assistants) recommended on Next Door that does seem to be an official Carrier distributor. That's just one data point, but maybe it means it is not mutually exclusive to go with a smaller AC repair outfit with more reasonable prices and be able to get warrantied parts.