New California Middle Class Tax Refund

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
NorCalHiker

Re: New California Middle Class Tax Refund

Post by NorCalHiker »

Has anyone here NOT received their MCTR direct deposit even though you received a 2020 refund by DD? According to the FTB link, it looks like all DD for those who didn't get the GS stimulus should have completed by mid November.
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

NorCalHiker wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:08 pm Has anyone here NOT received their MCTR direct deposit even though you received a 2020 refund by DD? According to the FTB link, it looks like all DD for those who didn't get the GS stimulus should have completed by mid November.
We got our debit card two days ago even though we have always done refunds via DD. Not sure why.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

Have not gotten anything yet.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

NorCalHiker wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:08 pm Has anyone here NOT received their MCTR direct deposit even though you received a 2020 refund by DD? According to the FTB link, it looks like all DD for those who didn't get the GS stimulus should have completed by mid November.
I have not. No debit card either. I had refund direct deposited in 2020.
NorCalHiker

Post by NorCalHiker »

Hyperchicken wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:53 pm
I have not. No debit card either. I had refund direct deposited in 2020.
Ok, thanks everyone. So here's the schedule for the debit cards assuming somehow we all got thrown into the debit card box despite having refunds DD in 2020:

Non-GSS recipients (last name beginning with A – K) 12/05/2022 through 12/17/2022
Non-GSS recipients (last name beginning with L – Z) 12/19/2022 through 12/31/2022
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

It's debit card for everyone who filed paper, regardless if they requested direct deposit or not. I am in that boat.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

Well, I e-filed in 2020 and 2021, with DD refund promptly received in both years. Still not received MCTR, neither via DD nor a debit card. Not complaining (whatever), just sharing for everyone's information.
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

Their website says to wait until Jan 15 to report not receiving a direct deposit or debit cards. I haven't received anything yet either and should've received a direct deposit.
May all your index funds gain +0.5% today.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Haven't received anything yet.

fwiw: I file by snail mail (too cheap to pay the electronic filing fee for State). Last two years, I've let the CA refund ride over to the next year to cover the April 15 estimated quarterly payment.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

fareastwarriors wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:41 am Received my debit card yesterday
:beer
I filed with DD but ended receiving a debit card so the system is weird. FYI
Bodacious

Post by Bodacious »

I filed for DD refund in 2020, am eligible, and have received nothing yet.
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

Just got our $500 cash card. Kind of a PITA. I’ll go to the bank to see if I can deposit it in our account.
De gustibus non disputandum est
YoungJedi88

Post by YoungJedi88 »

Anyone having issues transferring funds from their website to Fidelity cash management? I’m getting an error stating the action cannot be performed at this moment. I tried using the longer form Cash Management account number. Thanks!
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

shogunn wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:13 am Anyone having issues transferring funds from their website to Fidelity cash management? I’m getting an error stating the action cannot be performed at this moment. I tried using the longer form Cash Management account number. Thanks!
Try again later. Then try the short number.
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

Just got our $500 cash card. Kind of a PITA. I’ll go to the bank to see if I can deposit it in our account.
I was able to deposit $498.75 to our bank account. There seems to be no way to avoid the $1.25 charge for using the cash card.
De gustibus non disputandum est
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

fwiw: BofA used to handle California's debit card stuff, but they lost millions on the rushed covid unemployment benefits so wanted out of that business. (BofA would not charge a fee.)

https://calmatters.org/newsletters/what ... f-america/
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

Big Dog wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:27 pm fwiw: BofA used to handle California's debit card stuff, but they lost millions on the rushed covid unemployment benefits so wanted out of that business. (BofA would not charge a fee.)

https://calmatters.org/newsletters/what ... f-america/
I suspect what is going on is the debit cards are "free" to the state (versus checks having printing and mailing costs) and the issuing bank makes up for it using debit card swipe fees. It is the same idea as credit card fees subsidizing reward programs. Large banks have their swipe fees capped at a low amount so BoA is not the ideal player in a business like this. Instead it would be the same kinds of banks that issue gift cards, NetSpend cards, etc. that are small enough to charge full-bore fees to merchants when the money is spent, use those fees to cover the cost of the cards/mailing/cust service etc, and keep the rest as profit.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

shogunn wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:13 am Anyone having issues transferring funds from their website to Fidelity cash management? I’m getting an error stating the action cannot be performed at this moment. I tried using the longer form Cash Management account number. Thanks!
There's also a daily limit. I tried to help my brother moved his $1050 at all once. The system wouldn't let me. I split into 2 payments over 2 days and things were fine.
LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast »

Filed electronically, last name "M", nothing received yet.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

LeftCoast wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:42 pm Filed electronically, last name "M", nothing received yet.
Haven’t received anything yet too . Always filed electronically
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

For my folks' card I just went to one of the free ATMs and withdrew there, but the transaction limit is also a daily limit so I had to do it over a few days.
Weathering

Post by Weathering »

Haven’t received anything yet. Expecting $600, last name starts with W, always electronically file, but typically owe rather than refund. Thinking it will arrive by Jan 20th or else I tossed it as junk mail a few months back.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Hi, I do not live in CA, but my mom does. She recently called me to ask about the stimulus. I did some poking around and the CA website indicated that there were 2 Golden Stimulus already. She said she did not receive either. I looked at the requirements and notice your income had to be under $75K, which is the case for her. Did the stimulus arrived in the form of a paper check or did it get electronically deposited. If it was electronically deposited, would it use the routing number that's on the 2020 tax form or the 2021 tax form?

By the way, can I assume that stimulus is not taxable by federal tax? I hope not, since I don't want to do another Amended tax.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

The Golden State Stimulus had its own thread here - viewtopic.php?t=381518
Depending on how they filed, the should have either received a direct deposit or a debit card. No checks were issued.

Here are details about the taxability. The GSS I and II were considered disaster relief so not taxable, while the IRS isn't sure about the current stimulus.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/california/ ... 625427.php
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

calwatch wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:47 am The Golden State Stimulus had its own thread here - viewtopic.php?t=381518
Depending on how they filed, the should have either received a direct deposit or a debit card. No checks were issued.

Here are details about the taxability. The GSS I and II were considered disaster relief so not taxable, while the IRS isn't sure about the current stimulus.
I received the Golden State Stimulus II by check at the end of 2021 but the Middle Class Tax Refund this year was a debit card.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

calwatch wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:47 am The Golden State Stimulus had its own thread here - viewtopic.php?t=381518

Thanks, you have made me aware that there were actually 3 stimulus
1. Golden State Stimulus I
2. Golden State Stimulus II
3. Middle Class Tax refund

The first I managed to track down stimulus I by going through my mom's bank transaction. I do not see Stimulus II, but it appears you only get that if you have a dependent (not if you are by yourself). Because she got a check, the Middle Class should arrived as a debit card. I will inform my mom to keep an eye out for it in the mail.

Why would CA issue this as a debit card? Is this CA's idea of diversifying income :-).
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

gavinsiu wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:10 am I do not see Stimulus II, but it appears you only get that if you have a dependent (not if you are by yourself). Because she got a check, the Middle Class should arrived as a debit card.
"Appears"? Where/how?
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

HanSolo wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:32 am "Appears"? Where/how?
OK, I figured out that the check deposited is GSS II and not GSS I. My mom did not qualified for GSS I.

I just need to have her wait or track down the debit card for Middle Class refund.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

gavinsiu wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:10 am

The first I managed to track down stimulus I by going through my mom's bank transaction. I do not see Stimulus II, but it appears you only get that if you have a dependent (not if you are by yourself). Because she got a check, the Middle Class should arrived as a debit card. I will inform my mom to keep an eye out for it in the mail.

Why would CA issue this as a debit card? Is this CA's idea of diversifying income :-).
2 potential reasons:
1. People lose/don’t use their debit card. Win for State.
2. People will spend their debit card cash vs. saving/doing nothing. Win for State.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
toddthebod

Post by toddthebod »

gavinsiu wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:10 am

They eliminate the costs of printing and mailing millions checks.
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

toddthebod wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:01 pm
gavinsiu wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:10 am Why would CA issue this as a debit card? Is this CA's idea of diversifying income :-).
Interesting that it costs less to make a plastic card with embedded electronics than to print a small slip of paper.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

Still waiting on mine. Suspect it will never come.
toddthebod

Post by toddthebod »

HanSolo wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:11 pm
gavinsiu wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:10 am Why would CA issue this as a debit card? Is this CA's idea of diversifying income :-).
Interesting that it costs less to make a plastic card with embedded electronics than to print a small slip of paper.
It costs the state less, because the debit card servicer prints and mails them and collects fees to pay for it.
mikep

Post by mikep »

My deceased father received a debit card.. he passed in June 2022.

I suspect I need to send it back? If I send it back how to prevent the 1099-MISC filed for him?
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

mikep wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:33 am My deceased father received a debit card.. he passed in June 2022.

I suspect I need to send it back? If I send it back how to prevent the 1099-MISC filed for him?
You should return it, yes. Technically, he's not eligible because he was deceased when the payment was issued. Here's a link to the instructions on how to return it: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsro ... ur-payment

But...expect he'll probably get a 1099-misc anyway. If you're not filing a return for him for 2022 (because he did not have enough income pre-DOD to be required to) then you can ignore the 1099-misc. If you have to file a return anyway, you can just enter it as miscellaneous income ("ca middle class tax refund") in your tax software and then add a negative entry explaining you returned it ("returned ca middle class tax refund").
mikep

Post by mikep »

BogleTaxPro wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:47 am
mikep wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:33 am My deceased father received a debit card.. he passed in June 2022.

You should return it, yes. Technically, he's not eligible because he was deceased when the payment was issued. Here's a link to the instructions on how to return it: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsro ... ur-payment

But...expect he'll probably get a 1099-misc anyway. If you're not filing a return for him for 2022 (because he did not have enough income pre-DOD to be required to) then you can ignore the 1099-misc. If you have to file a return anyway, you can just enter it as miscellaneous income ("ca middle class tax refund") in your tax software and then add a negative entry explaining you returned it ("returned ca middle class tax refund").
Thanks, looks like this one is worth returning certified mail, return receipt requested (like all govt correspondence) so I can prove it was mailed back to them. At my expense of course. Annoyed I have to pay out of pocket for that.

Other family members say to just use it but I think they would eventually catch up to it and want the money back. Plus I don't feel its wise to play games with the IRS or state FTB.
Last edited by mikep on Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anthro789

Post by anthro789 »

Deceased eligible individuals

Deceased individuals that did not use the single filing status, or that claimed another person as a dependent on their 2020 tax return, may qualify for the payment. The payment is not available for individuals deceased on the day the payment would be issued and that used a single filing status without a dependent.
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

toddthebod wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:28 am
It costs the state less, because the debit card servicer prints and mails them and collects fees to pay for it.
You mean we don't receive the full amount? I got debit cards from the Federal stimulus and never paid a fee.
toddthebod

Post by toddthebod »

HanSolo wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:05 pm
toddthebod wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:28 am
You mean we don't receive the full amount? I got debit cards from the Federal stimulus and never paid a fee.
They have fees for certain uses listed here: https://mctrpayment.com/fee-schedule/

Looks like they are really preying on the large Mexican-American population.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I tried the long and the short number for the Fidelity CMA --- both failed. I tried my Alliant checking, worked perfectly.

So you can't (at least I can't) transfer from the MCTR debit card into the Fidelity CMA, so you might want to go straight to trying your CU/Bank checking for these transfers (no fee for ACH)
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

Typically when I get these kinds of "temporary debit cards", I just suck the funds into an Amazon giftcard for myself, and then launder it into my Amazon balance.

Received my refund card last night, but didn't want to have that large of balance in my Amazon account.

I went to one of the "free" ATM's listed on the card website (half mile from my house). Subtracted the balance off the card, and put it in my checking account on the way to work.
I was amazed on how easy and FAST that solution was, compared with trying more sophisticated ways to get it into my bank account.
BBBob

Post by BBBob »

Just got our debit card. One disturbing matter I noticed is the issuing entity's accompanying privacy notice, which states that they can share our personal data with "other financial companies" for joint marketing. The information is defined as including SS numbers, income, account balance, payment history, credit history and transaction history. And we cannot limit such sharing.

I feel like the State did us dirty, especially in view of it purported concern with protection of privacy rights. Is anyone else disturbed by this unexpected intrusion?
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

got the card today and my wife thought it was a scheme since we never got a card before :D
schmitz

Post by schmitz »

We never received our debit card in the mail. Is there a website or phone number we can call?
toddthebod

Post by toddthebod »

schmitz wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:17 pm We never received our debit card in the mail. Is there a website or phone number we can call?
The distribution schedule runs through January 14th.
Weathering

Post by Weathering »

schmitz wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:17 pm We never received our debit card in the mail. Is there a website or phone number we can call?
I’m right there with you. Part of me thinks I threw out the debit card mailer before knowing what it was. The other part of me thinks the debit card will arrive in the mail by Jan 15.
Kinkajou82

Post by Kinkajou82 »

Weathering wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:26 pm
I’m right there with you. Part of me thinks I threw out the debit card mailer before knowing what it was. The other part of me thinks the debit card will arrive in the mail by Jan 15.
FYI ABC news did a segment on how you can call in to report a lost/discarded card. From experience there's also an option at that number to report that you've never received a card, but when I selected that it just told me to wait until the end of January. *shrug*

https://abc7news.com/california-middle- ... /12567074/
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

My sister just got her card yesterday. Last name starts with a "P" so they may be going alphabetically at this point. Hang in there.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

VanGar+Goyle wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:18 pm
LilyFleur wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:10 pm Indeed. Large Roth conversions can push us out of the middle class, at least for that year.
Good to know that any CA AGI of $500,000 or less is still middle class,
so over 96% of people are middle class. :)
Exactly what I was thinking. I guess $501k income makes you rich.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

BogleTaxPro wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:47 am My sister just got her card yesterday. Last name starts with a "P" so they may be going alphabetically at this point. Hang in there.
I know people with last names far earlier in the alphabet that have not received it yet