Apple Watches/Amazon Prime Day

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MrWasabi65

Apple Watches/Amazon Prime Day

Post by MrWasabi65 »

I've never owned an Apple watch - but do have other Apple devices.

I see that Amazon is offering a $70 discount for the
Apple Watch Series 7 [GPS 45mm] at $359, so I am interested.

If you own one, please let me know if you would buy it again, had any problems, etc.?

Thanks.
stickman731

Re: Apple Watches/Amazon Prime Day

Post by stickman731 »

This gets asked a couple of times per year -

viewtopic.php?t=360725
Topic Author
MrWasabi65

Post by MrWasabi65 »

Thank you. I will add that the linked thread appears to be nearly 10 months old.

I would suggest that with device technology, 10 months could as well be years.
markjk

Post by markjk »

I'm a big fan of the Apple Watch.

My wife and I have had two models since 2017. The health data including activity tracking is probably the biggest true feature set I use daily. It's also nice to help find my phone when I misplace it in the house which happens way more than it should. I like some of the notifications going to the watch but not all. It can be a bit distracting but you can customize notifications based on your preferences. I like that I don't need to have my phone with me in case of a call, text etc. As long as you are within 30 - 50 feet, it stays connected. It can control the volume of music, shows, etc. when you have headphones on.

It just does a lot of convenient things that I really notice when I'm not wearing it. I've never had a problem. It gets wet, I use it in hot weather, cold weather, working in the yard, exercising, etc. No issues.
jpohio

Post by jpohio »

My wife and I both have Apple Watch 7’s. Love them. Never thought I would own one, but my Garmin that I used for swimming died so I decided to try Apple. As with all Apple stuff, integrates perfectly with iPhone. As we are both 70 and both walk daily, fall detection is a very nice feature. The health features are interesting, and it appears this is a focus for Apple.

I highly recommend
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

I have used one for many years now and over all I’ve really liked them - 3 different models over the years. That said, I took a couple of years off from wearing one and honestly didn’t miss it that much. The only problem I’ve had was with an earlier edition that had an issue with battery that expanded and caused screen to separate from watch body.

I wear it most days all day. Main screen I use is the infograph configured to show: activity rings, heart rate, stocks widget (set to VTI as default), weather forecast graphic, current temp, date, watch hands for time, next appointment ring, walkie talkie activation (DW has watch as well), and battery level.

I use it to generate Symantec VIP OTP codes for 2fa log in to Schwab and Fidelity.
Use it with 1password for OTP codes for 2fa for other services.

I use it as my golf gps (with Golfshot GPS) for distances to hazards and greens and for scoring.

Use it with OurGroceries app for great shopping list management

I occasionally wear during sleep (on theatre setting so screen stays dark and no alerts), and use a different screen with access to Blood O2, EKG, Mindfulness app, and AutoSleep widget. The latter is a great sleep tracking app.

Also enjoy using it with haptic alerts for directions, for walking or driving.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Apple Watch is very well built. I still use my Apple Watch 2 and it keeps running. I also had other fitness tracking (Fitbit, Garmin), but they last for a year or so. I’m surprised that Apple Watch can withstand my level of activities and usage. I’ll probably consider Apple Watch 8 since it’s been so long I buy a new Watch.
Time is the ultimate currency.
bogswenbern

Post by bogswenbern »

Huami Amazfit and put the savings in 60/40
Agent 99

Post by Agent 99 »

Apple Watch also has a fall detection feature that alerts emergency contacts and responders under certain conditions. I purchased a samsung watch for my nonagenarian mother for just that feature.