questions about buying prescription glasses online

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
HeadTail

questions about buying prescription glasses online

Post by HeadTail »

This will be the first time I will order prescription glasses online (for adult), and I have a few questions.

(1) As I understand, in addition to the regular prescription I need some additional measurements. What are they called?

(2) I will get progressive lenses. Additional complications?

(3) In recent years my eye exams has two part: A technician came and made preliminary (?) measurements, and then the eye doctor came and did the len-swapping thing. Who should I ask to take these measurements?

(4) I spent a lot of time in front of computers so I need a computer glasses (I'm not talking about those blue light filter). For various reasons the monitor is set back almost 4 ft from me, and the usual "reading glasses" prescription does not work and I have a hard time getting the proper prescription for my computer glasses. Any advice on what magic words I should say/ask?

(5) In the past I ordered glasses at the same place as where I got my eye exams, and if the glasses don't work I could take a back and remake it to my satisfaction. I assume this is no longer true for ordering glasses online?

(6) Any other advice?

THANKS!
valleyrock

Re: questions about buying prescription glasses online

Post by valleyrock »

Your questions are explained when you order. I use go-optic.com, and of course there are others.

One measurement they should give you for the asking at the optician shop you've been using is the PD. That's the distance between your pupils. Sometimes they measure the distance from each pupil to the center above your nose. For some people, they are different. You can phone them and say you'll be traveling and need a copy of your prescription and would they please add the PD, in case you lose your glasses overseas or something. They'll fax it. This assumes they've measured your PD correctly, of course.

The online companies usually have unconditional guarantees, within a reasonable time, of course.

Jump in and try it
latenightrob

Post by latenightrob »

(1) As I understand, in addition to the regular prescription I need some additional measurements. What are they called?

PD is the distance between your pupils, I ordered online from Warby Parker and they had me take a picture of myself holding a credit card under my nose (centered) and they used that to calculate the distance.

(2) I will get progressive lenses. Additional complications? depends, I am meticulousness about seeing clearly and getting used to them will take some time. I really hated using them with a computer because the perfect focus zone is so much smaller then a pair of glasses dedicated to the computer, which is why I got the computer only glasses.

(4) I spent a lot of time in front of computers so I need a computer glasses (I'm not talking about those blue light filter). For various reasons the monitor is set back almost 4 ft from me, and the usual "reading glasses" prescription does not work and I have a hard time getting the proper prescription for my computer glasses. Any advice on what magic words I should say/ask?

I also have this exact issue and I simply asked my eye doctor for Two scripts one for Progressives and one for my "computer glasses" I said my set up is 2 ft away and they measured that distance and gave me a script for just that, I love it!

After ordering the expensive glasses from my eye doctor, I ordered semi cheap computer only pair from warby parker and a super cheap computer only pair from Zennioptical.com

Good luck!
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

The lens swapping thing is how the dr gets your prescription. That is already accounted for.
Rotarman

Post by Rotarman »

As others have said, PD is the other number. I have heard of some optometry practices being hesitant to give this out or outright charging for it. If that's the case, go to a sporting goods store and find an expensive pair of binoculars. They will have the PD on them and you can adjust until you find yours.

No complication getting progressive.

Some of the websites will give you "computer vision" glasses for your original prescription. I have seen a few times where these glasses didn't work well. It is better to ask your optometrist for another prescription specifically for your focal distance at your individual computer setup (e.g 4 ft). They don't even need to see you for this, it can be calculated mathematically from your distance prescription, in this case adding +0.83D to the first number in each eye.
chazas

Post by chazas »

Agree with others.

You have to still go to your optometrist/ophthalmologist for your glasses prescription. It will have all you need to order glasses online other than the PD measurement. I got my optometrist to give that to me after ordering a pair of glasses from him, for my “extra pair.” Once you have it, you have it forever. When you buy glasses from Zenni, they literally include about 5 little plastic PD measurement tools, I suppose one of those could work too.

If you are new to progressives, I would not order your first pair online. They take an adjustment period and you will not know whether a problem is you or the glasses without help.

After that first pair, probably fine. Some folks have trouble with online progressives bought online because they don’t measure “segment height” like an optometrist would - they use algorithms to try to get it right. Personally I have not had a problem. I have bought a number of pairs of progressives from Zenni and overall have been just as happy with them (and sometimes more so) than the expensive progressives sold by my optometrist. With the usual sale or discount codes, I can get a nice pair of progressives and upgrade to Trivex lenses for around $90 from Zenni. WIth my “insurance” I have paid anywhere from $400-800 at my optometrist. I much prefer having several pairs to change as my mood suits than relying on a single pair.
Doc7

Post by Doc7 »

I downloaded an app to measure my PD, and then I had a friend measure it with a set of digital calipers, and then I called the optician who I’ve bought all my glasses from the last 8 years. All 3 came out to the same.

Did I then identify the same font and add the PD measurement to the PDF for my prescription I used to order Roka sunglasses and am extremely beyond satisfied with the result? Maybe

I recommend the apps that do this
JPH

Post by JPH »

One thing you don't get with online ordering is frame adjustment. Sometimes adjustments to the fit must be made for comfort and best vision. With progressives the height of the line marking the beginning of the progressive zone is important. It depends on your facial structure and your head posture. It could be difficult to find an optician that will do it if you did not purchase from them.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Faces differ and frames differ. It's not just the distance between the pupils, it's also if you end up looking through the center of each lens as the manufacturer designed them.

https://hannafordeyewear.com.au/5-reaso ... enses-fail

From point 2:

"Progressive lenses are designed to be fit at a specific point relative to the eye, this is considered carefully by the lens designers and changing any parameters can have quite significant effects"

"I have worked with practitioners who claimed that taking the correct fitting heights for their progressive lens patients was unnecessary. Their argument was that the patient should be able to move their head to find the correct zone in the lens. What was the result? The wearer had to either drop their chin to drive or raise their chin up high to read. "

More info on how an optician fits the lenses to the frame so you are looking through the optimal part of the lens.
https://progressive-glasses.com/what-ar ... ive-lenses

"Position of the lens vertically
Position of the lens horizontally
Axis position of the lens
Manufacturer
Material
Type of progressive lens
Strength of near addition ADD value"

Of course, the local optician has the benefit of seeing you with the frames on before putting the lenses in the frame.
JayB

Post by JayB »

I used to order reading glasses and distance glasses from Zenni. Since I now use progressives, I would not suggest ordering online.

1. For progressives, the "horizon line" where distance correction turns into closer-up correction is critical to determine. It can't easily be established precisely with online ordering; it requires the frames to be fairly well fitted to your face first and careful measurements within a fraction of a mm from the inside bottom of the frame. PS I intentionally keep the horizon line slightly lower (about 1mm) in my progressive sunglasses; this is a common adjustment for sunglasses used for driving so that vehicles right in front of you don't get erroneously thrown into the closer-up correction territory.

2. Years ago, I tried single prescription computer glasses in addition to my progressives. What I found is that I would get too used to NOT nose following with them and when I put my progressives on afterwards, I would have a lot of blurriness until I got back into pointing my nose at what I want to be sharp. Ultimately, I just got used to progressives for the computer and find it easier overall on my brain and vision than switching back and forth.

3. Given that you want to view a computer screen from about 4 ft away and have glasses tailored for that, it's helpful to ask your optometrist for a specific prescription for that distance.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Progressives necessitate pretty accurate measuring and fitting. I would not buy a pair online unless A) the savings was dramatic, and B) there was a full money back guarantee. My wife has had to have two pairs of locally fitted progressives re-done (no charge); so far I have not.

"Computer glasses" are great! My optometrist told me that my computer glasses are "set halfway between my distance correction and my reading correction." IIRC, one of the online sellers (Zenni?) offers a specific choice for "computer glasses."
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

I would agree that progressives ordered on-line are riskier, but I have had success in the over five pairs of glasses I have ordered.

The issue isn't your PD, which you can measure yourself as explained above, the issue is the lens design and whether it is fit for the purpose you have in mind. If you buy solely on price, you will get what you pay for. More expensive lenses offer lighter weight and less peripheral distortion. Trivex from a top brand is a safe choice. Avoid high index unless you are willing to sacrifice vision for thinner lenses.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I ordered progressives at Costco and they were great, much much cheaper than the optician whose shop contains my optometrist's office. Costco has opticians and they seem fine.

I ordered a pair of single vision glasses for computer-screen distance from Zenni, and they were fine. I put them on and did not think any fit adjustments were needed. The frames I got from Zenni, even though cheap, had a "spring" in the temples and fit firmly but comfortably out of the box. The optical quality and mechanical quality of the frames seemed fine.

Zenni has online directions for measuring your own interpupillary distance, and it is doable.

I am leery of trying to order progressives from Zenni because fit is, as others have said, more critical than with single vision. In the days when I wore bifocals it took some skill on the part of the optician to get the glasses to rest properly on my head so that the bifocal lines coincided, and I imagine that is a similar issue with progressives.

Zenni's stated guarantee is "Zenni optical will refund up to fifty percent (50%) of the purchase price for glasses or issue a 100% store credit for any reason within 60 days. the 100% store credit will expire one (1) year after the date of issuance."

I have no objection in principle to the idea of "paying more" to get my glasses made at the optical shop that contains the optometrist's office--so that optician and optometrist can walk ten feet and consult with each other if need be. But by that I mean... you know... $350 instead of $300. But something horrible happened to glass and frame prices five or six years ago, and we were talking about over $1,000 for two pairs of glasses there versus about $300 at Costco... and no detectable difference in optical or frame quality.

I wish there were some completely upfront deal whereby an optician would take care of fitting and adjusting mail-order glasses for whatever fee it would take to make business sense.
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Bcdkgf

Post by Bcdkgf »

We have been ordering progressives from Zenni's for 24 years and have been completely satisfied with quality and fit. We ordered sunglasses (some were generic transitional), computer glasses, and regular progressive. I used to have to do the computations for computer glasses, now Zenni has the option to do it for you.

Costco will adjust your Zenni glasses for free. I offered to pay them, but they wouldn't accept any money from me, not even a tip.
Last edited by Bcdkgf on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Women and men plan, the Gods laugh.
rob

Post by rob »

HeadTail wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:32 pm (2) I will get progressive lenses. Additional complications?
Don't do it... I too am on my first pair of old guy glasses and for the last two weeks cannot get ANYTHING on the computer screen in focus.... For distance and driving they change where you think things are so are just damn dangerous. The changing shapes - ESPECIALLY on screens - as you move you head will give you motion sickness if your prone to that.

I paid a small fortune for this white elephant of a pair! They were supposed to replace the $6 amazon cheaters and when I swap back they are so much easier and calming. I'm scared that trying to get used to progressives (regressive's) will make my sight WORSE.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

you might be better off buying glasses in costco if you don't mind paying few bucks more , it is easier to get the glasses changed or fixed in store than online. I have tried https://www.eyebuydirect.com/ and it worked out after couple of rounds of adjustments and return .
Thanks!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

rob wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:48 am
HeadTail wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:32 pm (2) I will get progressive lenses. Additional complications?
Don't do it... I too am on my first pair of old guy glasses and for the last two weeks cannot get ANYTHING on the computer screen in focus.... For distance and driving they change where you think things are so are just damn dangerous. The changing shapes - ESPECIALLY on screens - as you move you head will give you motion sickness if your prone to that.

I paid a small fortune for this white elephant of a pair! They were supposed to replace the $6 amazon cheaters and when I swap back they are so much easier and calming. I'm scared that trying to get used to progressives (regressive's) will make my sight WORSE.
During tax season I spend a lot of time at the computer. For something like $20 I bought a pair of "bifocals" that have readers at the bottom and computer distance at the top. Allows me to shift from the paper in front of me to the screen. If I need to see distance I just take them off. I have a slight astigmatism which is not ideal for distance but I have a distance pair I use for driving - single vision.

I recently bought two pair of single vision distance sunglasses from EyeBuyDirect and I am very pleased with them.

I have a pair of progressives (not sunglasses) that I bought locally. It took three trips to get the angles adjusted. I would not try doing progressives online -- too much tuning required.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
sport

Post by sport »

Since getting progressive lenses just right is so difficult, perhaps bifocals would be a better choice for online purchases.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

As far as adjusting frames, almost anyone can do that. You are just bending them. You do need to make sure you carefully support directly on each side of the bend or you can damage the frame. With plastic frames, you need to give them a little gentle heat. I think I was 12 the first time I used my gas stove for this but a hair dryer is probably a lot safer.😏

The issue with progressives comes from whether or not the standard placement of the segments works for you. My spouse has never had a problem ordering progressives online. I have not had success with either of my attempts even though I have been extremely happy with my online single vision purchases. I think several retailers have a 100% guarantee within 14 days. You can try one of those and see if you are happy. If you are not, though, you will probably not know why. So, at that point, I would switch to in person.
Topic Author
HeadTail

Post by HeadTail »

Thanks for all the replies! I'll be asking a lot of questions when I have my eye exam tomorrow.

I just come across this article

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog ... es-online/

that talk about various pro/cons of ordering glasses online. Near the end (right above/below the last illustration of this web article) there is a discussion of misalignment between the center of vision of ones eyes and the geometric center of the lens. Question: Is there a way I can ask my eye doctor to take this measurement, and how can I report it when I order glasses online?

Thanks!
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

HeadTail wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:45 pm... Near the end (right above/below the last illustration of this web article) there is a discussion of misalignment between the center of vision of ones eyes and the geometric center of the lens. Question: Is there a way I can ask my eye doctor to take this measurement, and how can I report it when I order glasses online?

Thanks!
You can't really report it, because (unlike the PD, which is horizontal) the vertical position depends on the particular frame and how it sits on your face. In person, they might mark where your eye is with magic marker on the filler lens.

I find it difficult to imagine that this is a big deal. But I am sure that, as they say, some people are more sensitive to it.

39dollarglasses asks if you wear your glasses all the way up your nose or lower down on your nose etc. But that is quite approximate. The magic marker thing is approximate too, not everyone does a good job of it.
chazas

Post by chazas »

They won’t make your eyesight worse, and they’re not at all dangerous once you’re used to them. But obviously not everyone likes them.
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

Rotarman wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:16 am in this case adding +0.83D to the first number in each eye.
Yep, 4ft = 1.22m and 1/1.22 = 0.82 so one adds that number to the normal (distance) prescription.

My computer screen is ~1 meter away, so one needs to correct by 1/1 = +1.0. Not a huge difference from +0.82.

For reading, one typically adds +2.5. That is because it is automatically assumed that the reading material is 16" away, which is 0.4 meters. 1/0.4 = 2.5. But 16" may not be the correct distance for everyone.

Come to think of it, it is amazing that lens focal lengths are measured in meters, and thus "powers" in inverse meters, and no one protests. It is a slippery slope.
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

I've had I think four pairs of progressives from Zenni. Never had a problem. I did have experience with optician-supplied progressives before the Zennis so the adjustment from single vision lenses was not in play with the Zennis. Getting the transition from distance vision to nearer focus in the right place is just a matter of tilting the head a tiny angle. I would think most could adapt unless the glasses are grossly off.

If you are used to progressives, I think you can reasonably gamble on the cost of an online ordered pair for what they cost versus the brick and mortar store versions. If not, maybe some adjustments with the local optician are worthwhile.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

I have really crappy eyeballs.
-9.25 and -7.75 with astigmatism.
I am happy with my $130 Zenni glasses.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

HeadTail wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:32 pm This will be the first time I will order prescription glasses online (for adult), and I have a few questions.

(2) I will get progressive lenses. Additional complications?

(3) In recent years my eye exams has two part: A technician came and made preliminary (?) measurements, and then the eye doctor came and did the len-swapping thing. Who should I ask to take these measurements?

(5) In the past I ordered glasses at the same place as where I got my eye exams, and if the glasses don't work I could take a back and remake it to my satisfaction. I assume this is no longer true for ordering glasses online?

(6) Any other advice?

THANKS!
I am in the same boat except I have experience with online ordering.

You need OS/OD and axis #’s including both PD’s. I am using Eye Buy Direct this time as it was the cheapest. Why aren’t you getting the blue light filter?
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

Bogle7 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:45 pm I have really crappy eyeballs.
I’m a long-time satisfied Zenni customer, but now that’s a testimonial!
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

marc in merrimack wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:16 pm
Zenni is very low priced too. They make their own frames?
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Vanguard User wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:41 pm
Eyebuydirect has 14 day no questions asked returns and 1yr warranty, full replacement, and Zenni does not.
Danw

Post by Danw »

I am happy with my progressives from Zenni. I recommend ordering metal frames so that they can be adjusted with simple bending. The lens height can be adjusted by bending the nose pieces.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

chazas wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:13 pm

They won’t make your eyesight worse, and they’re not at all dangerous once you’re used to them. But obviously not everyone likes them.
True, the old YMMV principle.

Back when I got my first pair of progressives my opthalmologist told me that if I started with bifocals I likely would not be able to adapt to progressives if I wanted to try them later. So I went the progressives route. For me, they have been great. Close stuff is in focus, far stuff is in focus, I don't have to consciously adjust my head position or shift around or anything -- I just look at it and I see it.
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

nalor511 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:02 am
Eyebuydirect has 14 day no questions asked returns and 1yr warranty, full replacement, and Zenni does not.
Yup. Looking to buy Oakley Plank 2.0.
marc in merrimack

Yes, Zenni makes their own frames.
marc in merrimack

Zenni’s prices are lower, overall, than Eyebuydirect.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

marc in merrimack wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:12 pm
Not when you compare apples to apples. The warranty is what puts ebd on top
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

nalor511 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:07 pm Not when you compare apples to apples. The warranty is what puts ebd on top
The return policy is what took me to EBD. I also found their frame selection better.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

marc in merrimack wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:12 pm
Yes but they don’t have Oakley’s. I wear those.