Help me choose a home security system please

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
worthit

Help me choose a home security system please

Post by worthit »

Dear BHs:

I am in the market for a home security system and finding it difficult to choose from the array of choices out there primarily due to my non-tech intellect.

Requirements:
1. Main entry door - security camera
2. Garage door motion sensor camera
3. Patio door Motion sensor camera
4.Basement window - motion sensor camera.

I don't mind if these come with flood lights or not. I would like for the data to be on the server for a week or so and would like to pay nothing to the most minimum monthly. Don't want storage services. I live in a fairly safe and secure neighborhood and some of my neighbors don't even have a security system installed so all this may even be an overkill. One thing I would prefer is not to keep changing batteries or worse not knowing when to change (like when we are away on vacation). That is is the reason for the wired preference.

Currently paying ~$32/month for monitoring offered by a regional provider.

Best buy offer: $1068 with taxes - includes $200 installation fee for a wired solution that covers
1. Ring flood light cam wired - $199.99
2. Ring video door bell pro 2 - $259.99
3. Ring spotlight cam wire free - $349.99

Costco offers the following for $499.99. Of course, I would have to pay someone for installation.

https://www.costco.com/arlo-pro-4-xl-sp ... 78621.html

Looks economical. Is this a reasonable system? All I am looking for is a simple, low maintenance security system that doesn't cost a ton.

TIA.
willthrill81

Re: Help me choose a home security system please

Post by willthrill81 »

Our neighbor has an Arlo system and has been very happy with it for years. If we bought one, it would be either Arlo or Ring. I'd probably opt for Ring due to the cost.
The Sensible Steward
dan7800

Post by dan7800 »

If you can run ethernet, I would highly recommend an NVR-based system that uses POE. I have a REOlink system and it is great.
CRC301

Post by CRC301 »

I can only speak to the Ring ecosystem. With Ring, there is the Alarm system and then there are cameras. The two different systems can augment each other; the door/motion sensors can trigger video recording on the cameras. The alarm system has built-in battery backup and a backup cellular connection.

There is no requirement for a month-to-month fee. The no-fee option will activate the siren and then notify you via the phone app when the alarm triggers. That said, for $100/year you will get professional monitoring; that is a very reasonable price. I know you said you don't care but that $100/yr also gets you a month (or more?) of cloud video storage.

There is something worth investigating with professional monitoring: your homeowners insurance may issue you a discount. Further, there are kits to link your existing CO/Smoke detectors into the professional monitoring service and this may get you more discounts with your homeowners insurance.

I really like my Ring Alarm system, but I have not tried others.

For your "requirements", I think the 8-piece kit would probably be all you need for the alarm portion; it comes with 4 door/window sensors and a 1-motion sensor. You can always add more sensors to it later.

Some questions about the cameras:
  • Are the cameras going to be mounted indoors or outdoors?
  • What power can you get to them?
Topic Author
worthit

Post by worthit »

Thank you all.
dan7800 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:24 pm If you can run ethernet, I would highly recommend an NVR-based system that uses POE. I have a REOlink system and it is great.
The installer quoted ~ $1350 for the installation of a POE system for 5 cameras with $150 additional for patching/painting breached drywall option. The POE system he recommended is Hiseeu (a private label for Hike Sense Security System as I understand from the installer).

Hiseeu 5MP PoE Security Camera System with 3TB Hard Drive,8CH 8MP NVR with 4pcs 5MP Dome IP Indoor Camera for Home Security,Night Vision,Waterproof,1-Way Audio,24/7 Surveillance Recording

REOLink is a bit more on the expensive side he claims although he will install it if that is my preference.
CRC301 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:55 pm I can only speak to the Ring ecosystem. With Ring, there is the Alarm system and then there are cameras. The two different systems can augment each other; the door/motion sensors can trigger video recording on the cameras. The alarm system has built-in battery backup and a backup cellular connection.

There is no requirement for a month-to-month fee. The no-fee option will activate the siren and then notify you via the phone app when the alarm triggers. That said, for $100/year you will get professional monitoring; that is a very reasonable price. I know you said you don't care but that $100/yr also gets you a month (or more?) of cloud video storage.

There is something worth investigating with professional monitoring: your homeowners insurance may issue you a discount. Further, there are kits to link your existing CO/Smoke detectors into the professional monitoring service and this may get you more discounts with your homeowners insurance.

I really like my Ring Alarm system, but I have not tried others.

For your "requirements", I think the 8-piece kit would probably be all you need for the alarm portion; it comes with 4 door/window sensors and a 1-motion sensor. You can always add more sensors to it later.

Some questions about the cameras:
  • Are the cameras going to be mounted indoors or outdoors?
  • What power can you get to them?
The 2nd installer suggests, a RING as you mention. In fact, he recommends the same one you are suggesting here. His installation charge is $250 while the system costs ~$250. This is what I am leaning towards.

Thanks all again.
dan7800

Post by dan7800 »

With a POE system, 95% of the effort is running the ethernet wires. The rest is easy.

POE is superior to WIFI in terms of speed, response time and not creating a lot of wifi interference. With that said, you need the cable runs which can be $$$.
Topic Author
worthit

Post by worthit »

dan7800 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:03 pm With a POE system, 95% of the effort is running the ethernet wires. The rest is easy.

POE is superior to WIFI in terms of speed, response time and not creating a lot of wifi interference. With that said, you need the cable runs which can be $$$.
Thanks. Running cables is something I am not looking for ward to. However, as you indicate, there are advantages and I am going to think through these options for some time before deciding.
Snowbird501

Post by Snowbird501 »

I have to tell you, I cheaped out and used Ring devices instead of going the POE route 2 years ago. Ring video quality is not great, plus you cannot view 24/7 footage in the event something happens.

All that said, I have someone coming to install a POE system next week. I highly reccomend biting the pulled and paying for it upfront - don’t be disappointed like me.
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

Think about what actions you want to occur with the motion sensor cameras. If you have it ding your phone every time, this can be annoying. Outdoor cameras get spider webs in front of them wavering in the wind (or the spider itself crosses the camera) and big flying bugs come visit the night vision light. Indoor camera will go off every time you walk in front of them.

My cameras just record on motion. So they aren't really an alarm, they are an after the fact "what happened" solution. I do look at the video sometimes just to see what is walking in the driveway and yard at times.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

worthit wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:41 pm Dear BHs:

I am in the market for a home security system and finding it difficult to choose from the array of choices out there primarily due to my non-tech intellect.

Requirements:
1. Main entry door - security camera
2. Garage door motion sensor camera
3. Patio door Motion sensor camera
4.Basement window - motion sensor camera.

I don't mind if these come with flood lights or not. I would like for the data to be on the server for a week or so and would like to pay nothing to the most minimum monthly. Don't want storage services. I live in a fairly safe and secure neighborhood and some of my neighbors don't even have a security system installed so all this may even be an overkill. One thing I would prefer is not to keep changing batteries or worse not knowing when to change (like when we are away on vacation). That is is the reason for the wired preference.

Currently paying ~$32/month for monitoring offered by a regional provider.

Best buy offer: $1068 with taxes - includes $200 installation fee for a wired solution that covers
1. Ring flood light cam wired - $199.99
2. Ring video door bell pro 2 - $259.99
3. Ring spotlight cam wire free - $349.99

Costco offers the following for $499.99. Of course, I would have to pay someone for installation.

https://www.costco.com/arlo-pro-4-xl-sp ... 78621.html

Looks economical. Is this a reasonable system? All I am looking for is a simple, low maintenance security system that doesn't cost a ton.

TIA.
Are there existing lights where the cameras would go? If so, Ring can be DIY. If you already have a wired door bell, Ring doorbell can be DIY as well.

The wire free camera would involve battery changes.

Whether ring is appropriate or not depend on your particular needs. We live in a low crime area so the only thing ring ever captured are deliveries and wildlife; no need for a system to record video 24/7.