Florida residency and nomad lifestyle - sell home and Airbnb travel for 3 years

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Hebell

Florida residency and nomad lifestyle - sell home and Airbnb travel for 3 years

Post by Hebell »

My husband and I live in Florida and he is soon to retire. We live in an older condo, and would like to sell it rather than rent it out. We are also cyclists and love to canoe, so we plan to Airbnb in various places for as long as my knee permits. This means we would have no primary home, but we would continue to hold a Florida driver's license, voting card, and see our doctors in Florida. We have a very large PO box and a friend who could empty it every now and then.

EDIT: we have no intent on moving to another state. The purpose of this travel is not to find a new home. We simply don't want a home for quite some time.

I see no problem maintaining Florida as our state of residence since clearly no other state qualifies. (On the other hand, we won't be resting our head here). Does this sound correct, if we don't stay any place more than a couple of months?
Last edited by Hebell on Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockstar

Re: Florida residency and nomad lifestyle - sell home and Airbnb travel for 3 years

Post by rockstar »

I sold my primary residence and moved into an extended stay hotel before I bought a new home. I was considered homeless.

You're going to have to sort out the driver's license issue as well as the tax issues.

I'd go here as a place to start:

https://cheaprvliving.com/

https://cheaprvliving.com/kb/

https://cheaprvliving.com/kb/choosing-s ... s-license/

https://cheaprvliving.com/kb/how-nomads ... forwarder/

https://cheaprvliving.com/kb/how-nomads ... s-license/
jocdoc

Re: Florida residency and nomad lifestyle - sell home and Airbnb travel for 3 years

Post by jocdoc »

Checkout the Escapees RV club website where you setup a mail forwarding service and establish a new tax domicile address until you find a permanent home.
Escapees.com
Topic Author
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

We are not in any hurry to find a new home and don't have any intent to leave Florida

Given that we have no intent, but simply don't wish to own a home, it would seem that Florida would have to remain my domicile.

The only troublesome thing I can see is my umbrella policy staying in force if I no longer have a homeowner's policy. I'm hoping that carrying a high level of personal liability on my Florida auto policy, would do the trick.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

Hebell wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:20 pm I see no problem maintaining Florida as our state of residence since clearly no other state qualifies. (On the other hand, we won't be resting our head here).

Can anyone else tell me about residency issues if they are nomadic?
I don't know all State's laws but you might end up a resident there or part time resident if you spend too much time in that State.

I'm not really sure how useful it is, but Florida Statute §222.17 states that a person can show intent to maintain a Florida residence as a permanent home by filing a sworn Declaration of Domicile with the Clerk of the Courts. I did that.

In terms of your DL, how will you renew it? I don't think you can use a P.O. Box.

I think you can either 1) register your RV or boat in Florida and somehow use that or 2) or do a Certification of Address form HSMV 71120 and utilize a family or friends Florida residential address for driver’s license purposes

As other's have noted, the RV sites often have info into how to do this and many offer a mailing service that can forward your mail if desired.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

Hebell wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:20 pm My husband and I live in Florida and he is soon to retire. We live in an older condo, and would like to sell it rather than rent it out. We are also cyclists and love to canoe, so we plan to Airbnb in various places for as long as my knee permits. This means we would have no primary home, but we would continue to hold a Florida driver's license, voting card, and see our doctors in Florida. We have a very large PO box and a friend who could empty it every now and then.

EDIT: we have no intent on moving to another state. The purpose of this travel is not to find a new home. We simply don't want a home for quite some time.

I see no problem maintaining Florida as our state of residence since clearly no other state qualifies. (On the other hand, we won't be resting our head here). Does this sound correct, if we don't stay any place more than a couple of months?
Yes, you are correct. Florida will remain your home State (for now). As long as you're truly traveling (and not just living in another US State), then no other State can claim you and you can continue to claim Florida. Do be careful your travels don't leave you in another State for an extended period of time. Go over 181 days in a State and they can claim you (even if you don't own a home).

The DL issue may prove a problem eventually, but DLs are issued for 8 years in FL so hopefully your expiry is a ways away. You can update your mailing address on file with DMV to whatever you'd like (you will need to go to DMV to change it). They will mail your renewal notice there and possibly, allow you to just renew online (some can, others cannot).

Some advice is to open numerous bank accounts (redundancy) before leaving your home. Banks due to the Patriot Act, will not allow US citizens to open new accounts without a provable permanent US residence. So open at least 3 checking accounts with debit cards and 3 credit card accounts while you have your permanent address. In case one (or even two) ultimately get shut down, you'll still have some left.
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

I'm curious about this as well. We are buying a new construction home in Nevada due to complete this Fall (Oct/Nov by the latest estimate). Our current home is under contract to sell and we will be out, assuming no glitches, by the end of this month. Our plan is to stay in a nearby extended stay hotel through the end of September, then head to Nevada. We'll also stay in an extended stay hotel there although due to availability, we may have to move properties once or twice. We will get a PO box locally until the end of September, then switch to one in Nevada when we head there.

The biggest issue I see is what to list as our "home" address during that time. Local ordinance here says we can't list the extended stay hotel as an address (at least for government purposes) and PO boxes aren't acceptable for some things. We do have relatives locally here so we can use their address for some things. I'm not really worries about what state we're officially resident in as Nevada has no state income tax and while our current state does, we'll have little state taxable income during this period. Biggest issue is probably that our car registrations come due in August and October respectively and unless we close on the new home in early October (unlikely), we won't be able to get the October car registered in Nevada before the end of the month.

But as I work through this, I'm realizing this is in some respects, far more complicated than I expected it to be. Governments in particular don't like the idea of you not having a permanent place of abode, even if it's temporary and you already know what the new one will be.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

Hebell wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:20 pm I see no problem maintaining Florida as our state of residence since clearly no other state qualifies. (On the other hand, we won't be resting our head here). Does this sound correct, if we don't stay any place more than a couple of months?
I am going to be stickler for semantics. When you use the term "residence/residency", I think you actually mean DOMICILE. Residency and domicile have two different meanings.

Generally speaking, domicile is your permanent home. You can only have ONE domicile. You keep your existing domicile until you have established a new domicile somewhere else. Even if you are traveling for an extended period of time, your domicile continues to remain the same until you show intent to permanently set up shop somewhere else. If your intent is to eventually return to your existing domicile, then it remains your domicile.

Your residence is more transient. It is the place where you actually are living/sleeping/etc. You can have a temporary residence somewhere other than your domicile. You can even have more than one residence.

Generally, for taxation purposes, you pay taxes on all income in any state where you are a resident or where you are domiciled. Each state might have its own requirements as to how long you need to be physically in the state to be considered a resident for tax purposes. So if you going to be a state for awhile, that is something to consider. For instance, if state X says that if you are present in the state for more than 180 days, you are considered a resident, then you would be required pay taxes on all your income to that state even though that state is not your domicile.

I am not an accountant or tax expert, so I would suggest consulting one who knows the rules for the state(s) where you will be traveling to understand what your tax liability might be.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

Your domicile continues until you establish a new one. In re Jones' Estate, 192 Iowa 78, 182 N.W. 227 (Iowa 1921): https://h2o.law.harvard.edu/cases/3989.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Can you rent out a storage unit and call it your residence? Then you are covered for the other things.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Hebell wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:08 pm The only troublesome thing I can see is my umbrella policy staying in force if I no longer have a homeowner's policy. I'm hoping that carrying a high level of personal liability on my Florida auto policy, would do the trick.
I would check with the insurance. I had once ask the insurance company on what would happen if my mom stop driving and only carry a renters policy. I was told the umbrella would stay in place if it exists already. Might be an issue if you try to get another one.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Shallowpockets wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:23 am Can you rent out a storage unit and call it your residence? Then you are covered for the other things.
Most storage units won't handle mail for you. That's one reason the RV services are popular in that they provide a proven method to provide the services necessary to maintain domicile in their respective states.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I feel confident that the right answer is as bsteiner pointed out - your domicile continues until you establish a new one. For nomads, that is usually not an issue.

What you would have to watch for is staying in one state long enough to accidentally establish a domicile. In the states I'm familiar with, that seems to be 6 months, but it would be worth keeping an eye on as you move around.

There are several RV nomad blogs and websites that might be helpful with this (and other) information.

I used one of the mail forwarding sites in Florida when I was traveling. Very efficient and easy to work with. However, my domicile was in the state I left until I established a new one.

Other than things like renewing a DL, I don't see any problems with your plan. And it would not hurt to have whatever you want to keep in storage in FL while you are gone.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

humblecoder wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:39 am
Hebell wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:20 pm I see no problem maintaining Florida as our state of residence since clearly no other state qualifies. (On the other hand, we won't be resting our head here). Does this sound correct, if we don't stay any place more than a couple of months?
I am going to be stickler for semantics. When you use the term "residence/residency", I think you actually mean DOMICILE. Residency and domicile have two different meanings.

Generally speaking, domicile is your permanent home. You can only have ONE domicile. You keep your existing domicile until you have established a new domicile somewhere else. Even if you are traveling for an extended period of time, your domicile continues to remain the same until you show intent to permanently set up shop somewhere else. If your intent is to eventually return to your existing domicile, then it remains your domicile.

Your residence is more transient. It is the place where you actually are living/sleeping/etc. You can have a temporary residence somewhere other than your domicile. You can even have more than one residence.

Generally, for taxation purposes, you pay taxes on all income in any state where you are a resident or where you are domiciled. Each state might have its own requirements as to how long you need to be physically in the state to be considered a resident for tax purposes. So if you going to be a state for awhile, that is something to consider. For instance, if state X says that if you are present in the state for more than 180 days, you are considered a resident, then you would be required pay taxes on all your income to that state even though that state is not your domicile.

I am not an accountant or tax expert, so I would suggest consulting one who knows the rules for the state(s) where you will be traveling to understand what your tax liability might be.
Well said
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
Topic Author
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

bsteiner wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:16 am Your domicile continues until you establish a new one. In re Jones' Estate, 192 Iowa 78, 182 N.W. 227 (Iowa 1921): https://h2o.law.harvard.edu/cases/3989.
Thank you for this excellent reference, and thanks to all who were sticklers in the use of the term domicile versus residency.
HardYakka

Post by HardYakka »

I follow a couple of nomads on youtube that have gone down the path you are looking for and address a lot of the issues including establishing a domicile and mail forwarding. Might be worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_OyYO ... xEx6bv2Z9Q
Topic Author
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

I have an update:

We live in Florida now and have domicile in florida, but we want to travel full time in Airbnbs. We had hoped to do this with no homeowners, no renters insurance policy, and get a standalone umbrella policy.

IMPORTANT: using the virtual mail services, and companies like Saint Brendan's Isle in Green cove Florida, works really great if you have an RV or a boat. But in speaking with them a few times, if you plan to use exclusively airbnbs and will not have a home or apartment anywhere, you will no longer be able to register your car in Clay county, where they at.

Obviously when we learned that, our hopes were dashed.

If you have an RV or a boat, that becomes your physical address, and there's even a way to indicate it on a driver's license. But if you have no home (i.e.,an RV or boat) at all, "you have to depend on friends or family". That's straight out of the mouth of the good folks at St Brendan's Isle.

For us bogleheads, this is very important because we need a legitimate physical address in order to gain umbrella insurance (particularly if you're driving that vehicle to go all around the country thereby increasing your chance of lawsuits). I abandoned any further efforts to find standalone umbrella coverage, once I discovered the problem with car registration. Our country is wired to want to have a physical address. Perhaps this will change in another 5 years.

So we are going to get a small apartment in the Midwest near some bike trails, and get the heck out of Florida. We've had it with S FL. Once we roam in all directions around our base, using airbnbs, we'll settle down again as we transition from the Go-Go old years to the slow-go old years!
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

Yes; or maybe
Last edited by Zeno on Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

DH is a pilot. I'm the DW retired electrical engineer. I never posted multiples. But given that both professions focus on risk reduction (which carried over to our financial planning), and given we enjoy simple pleasures in the great outdoors, we have done very well. I was always a cheap date, and my career reached high income levels at an early age - the power of compounding. (Good thing, because it got derailed in my 50s taking care of my ill parents. That's when we downsized too, so a transition to a nomadic lifestyle is no problem). DH had a more erratic career w the airlines but seniority has its rewards. Our portfolio is now a variant of an LMP, with a separate slug in growth equities. Age: In early sixties.
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

Hebell wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:53 pm
IMPORTANT: using the virtual mail services, and companies like Saint Brendan's Isle in Green cove Florida, works really great if you have an RV or a boat. But in speaking with them a few times, if you plan to use exclusively airbnbs and will not have a home or apartment anywhere, you will no longer be able to register your car in Clay county, where they at.

If you have an RV or a boat, that becomes your physical address, and there's even a way to indicate it on a driver's license. But if you have no home (i.e.,an RV or boat) at all, "you have to depend on friends or family". That's straight out of the mouth of the good folks at St Brendan's Isle.
While it's kind of implied in your post, I wanted to ask specifically - did you get the same answer with Escapees? I got the sense that they were larger and had somewhat more experience at domicile issues than SBI, so just curious if they gave you a similar response. Asking as my wife and I are considering something similar once my kids move out...
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Hebell wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:53 pm So we are going to get a small apartment in the Midwest near some bike trails, and get the heck out of Florida.
It is nice to have a place to store permanent things like your taxes and health records rather than carry all that stuff with you. Not to mention some seasonal clothing. However, is there a convenient Midwest state that does not charge state income tax?
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

retiredjg wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:37 pm
Hebell wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:53 pm So we are going to get a small apartment in the Midwest near some bike trails, and get the heck out of Florida.
It is nice to have a place to store permanent things like your taxes and health records rather than carry all that stuff with you. Not to mention some seasonal clothing. However, is there a convenient Midwest state that does not charge state income tax?
Iowa will be at 3.9% flat tax in 2026 with no tax on retirement income either...

DA
Topic Author
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

cockersx3 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:14 pm
Hebell wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:53 pm

While it's kind of implied in your post, I wanted to ask specifically - did you get the same answer with Escapees? I got the sense that they were larger and had somewhat more experience at domicile issues than SBI, so just curious if they gave you a similar response. Asking as my wife and I are considering something similar once my kids move out...
Went through all the minutiae, and every message thread, on the RV message boards. By all indications it was the same there. If you have an RV, this problem goes away in Florida. But with no RV or boat or home or rental, sustaining your car registration and getting umbrella insurance looks to be nigh impossible. I cannot proceed with this plan, without the absolute assurance of umbrella coverage. There is simply too much at stake.

If u read some of the recent articles an insurance journals, those that issue umbrella insurance are also getting a little bit concerned about the extra risks they are absorbing with the nomadic lifestyle. For example someone who gets a cheap house in Iowa, and then goes and spends 10 months of the year off-road cycling in the Rockies.
Last edited by Hebell on Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

retiredjg wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:37 pm
I am willing to accept state taxes for a lovely network of bike paths, and well-maintained recreation and community centers, with clean central areas in small and mid-sized towns with low crime. We were in Florida as my husband finished up his airline career, so we have already received the biggest tax benefit we could get.
Topic Author
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

I did not look into further detail in South dakota. However even South Dakota expects you to have an RV. Living the Airbnb-only lifestyle would work just fine for you if you are willing to forgo umbrella insurance.

It is a bummer to have this Airbnb vision popped, all over umbrella insurance
Morgan22

Post by Morgan22 »

Have you looked into RLI Insurance for umbrella coverage? I believe you may need a base (underlying) policy. Will you have a vehicle you plan on keeping and therefore have auto insurance?
We are nomads and RLI uses our PMB through traveling mailbox as our primary residential address. We found RLI through our insurance broker.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

retiredjg wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:46 am I feel confident that the right answer is as bsteiner pointed out - your domicile continues until you establish a new one. For nomads, that is usually not an issue.

What you would have to watch for is staying in one state long enough to accidentally establish a domicile. In the states I'm familiar with, that seems to be 6 months, but it would be worth keeping an eye on as you move around.
There's no time requirement. Sixteen days was sufficient to change domicile from New York to New Jersey in Matter of Gillmore: https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case ... s_sdt=4,31. I had a case where someone changed domicile from New Jersey to New York and died 10 days later and New Jersey didn't contest domicile (we wanted New York to avoid the New Jersey inheritance tax).
Topic Author
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Other boglheads expressed some concerns about taxes and where we should base ourselves. But for the first few years neither one of us is drawing social security and we are living off maturing after tax MYGAs and the sale of one of our rental properties.

So, with this new thought in mind, we actually plan to rent in high tax States first, since we effectively won't have any income except what we draw from our 401k to keep ourselves above the poverty line so Medicare doesn't say we need Medicaid!

Thanks to this forum, and thinking about taxes, it I realized we should change how we travel and do all these high tax states first.

We just have to make sure not to die in that state!
nj123

Post by nj123 »

We are Airbnb nomads in the states.

We are using myrvmail.com out of Crestview, FL and were able to get driver license, voter registration and car insurance with their address. Local State Farm office that deals with RVs often was able to give us Premises Personal Liability for myrvmail address and that allowed us to get Personal Liability Umbrella Policy.

GoWithLess FB group is has a lot of content about Nomadic Life, Early Retirement, Travel Hacking, House Sitting.
Last edited by nj123 on Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

bsteiner wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:03 pm
retiredjg wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:46 am I feel confident that the right answer is as bsteiner pointed out - your domicile continues until you establish a new one. For nomads, that is usually not an issue.

There's no time requirement. Sixteen days was sufficient to change domicile from New York to New Jersey in Matter of Gillmore: https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case ... s_sdt=4,31. I had a case where someone changed domicile from New Jersey to New York and died 10 days later and New Jersey didn't contest domicile (we wanted New York to avoid the New Jersey inheritance tax).
Just for clarification, I didn't mean there is a minimum time one has to live somewhere to establish a domicile. I would think this could be done in a matter of days when one intends to do it.

I live in an area that attracts a lot of "summer people" and many have told me they cannot stay longer than 6 months in a year or they will lose their (usually) Florida residency and have to pay state tax here where I live. That's what I meant about "accidentally" establishing a domicile.

I don't know if they are right or not. Or it may be some difference I don't understand between residency and domicile.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

retiredjg wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:54 am
bsteiner wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:03 pm

Just for clarification, I didn't mean there is a minimum time one has to live somewhere to establish a domicile. I would think this could be done in a matter of days when one intends to do it.

I live in an area that attracts a lot of "summer people" and many have told me they cannot stay longer than 6 months in a year or they will lose their (usually) Florida residency and have to pay state tax here where I live. That's what I meant about "accidentally" establishing a domicile.

I don't know if they are right or not. Or it may be some difference I don't understand between residency and domicile.
If I were to retire and move to Florida, I would become a Florida domiciliary the moment I moved into my new home in Florida if I intended it to become my new home.

If I were to move to Florida but retain my existing home, or buy another home in another state, I would be taxable as a resident of the other state if I met that state's requirements for being a resident of that state. Those requirements vary from state to state, but many states treat someone as a resident for income tax purposes if he/she is domiciled in that state, or, even if not domiciled in that state, maintains a permanent place of abode in that state, and is physically present in that state for more than 183 days. It sounds like you live in a state with such a statute.

In your example, for purposes of statutory residence, it's a matter of how many days you're in the other state, not how many days you're in Florida.

However, the number of days you're in Florida would be a factor in determining whether you've changed your domicile to Florida. For example, if you spend 5 months a year in the other state, 4 months a year in Florida, and 3 months somewhere else, the other state may take the position that you didn't change your domicile from that state to Florida.

Each case turns on its own facts. In the Blatt case, https://www.dta.ny.gov/pdf/determinatio ... 04.det.pdf, the key fact was that the taxpayer moved his dog. In the Patrick case, https://www.dta.ny.gov/pdf/determinatio ... 38.det.pdf, the key fact was that the taxpayer's wife lived in the new place
Topic Author
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Well I have Airbnb back on the table, but that's because I've got a good relationship with my sister. We are going to leave florida, and use her address in South Carolina as our new primary domicile. (No tax issues for us, we will live off proceeds of rental property we sold). We will get my ACA plan set up there and hubby will be on Medicare. We will put stuff in a storage locker, and get all our medical appointments taken care of at our new domicile.

This lets us set a rental policy up in South Carolina with the necessary 300k personal liability, so that our umbrella coverage continues without interruption. We have Chubb's Platinum (Ace private risk) umbrella policy, which our insurance agent encouraged that we keep, as they are known to perform well for high net worth individuals. Our agent called them, and Chubb seemed willing to work with us in the situation where we are in temporary housing like a residence hotel, after selling the Florida condo, for a month before declaring my sister's address as primary. The way they work with us, is that we simply keep the Chubb homeowners policy open for an extra month...

We will situate our doctors near the airport that has the most traffic, which looks like Myrtle Beach now.

Then we can travel and be the nomads that we had planned. As mentioned earlier, without an RV or boat, you have to have an address somewhere.

Thanks to other Bogleheads here, we also have the medjetassist insurance, which is quite reasonably priced if you are traveling in the USA. Just in case we ever have to have someone fly us back to South Carolina to be put in a hospital and be in network for me (should I have an out-of-state emergency)

There is a business model that the marketplace has not really addressed, which is for nomadic lifestyles for those needing high personal liability coverage.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
Topic Author
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:20 pm
Hebell wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:20 pm However even South Dakota expects you to have an RV.
This is incorrect. The SD residency affidavit requires you to submit a receipt for one night in a campground, hotel, Airbnb, or any other temporary accommodation. No vehicle is required, but you can title/plate your regular passenger car just as easily.

I did this for many years, and numerous nomads and expats do so.
Thank you for the correction. I should have said my level of umbrella insurance requires an abode, whether an RV or a boat. The fact it's South Dakota is irrelevant. Thank you for the correction