Charging Phone in the Car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sport

Charging Phone in the Car

Post by sport »

I purchased a charging cable with a 12-volt "cigarette lighter" connector for charging my Galaxy 13 phone. I have just tried it out to see how well it works, and the phone did not charge at all. I tried another car with the same result. Is there a problem with my new cable/connector setup, or can the phone not be charged that way? The user manual for the phone says to use only the cable that came with the phone and a Samsung charger.
retiredjg

Re: Charging Phone in the Car

Post by retiredjg »

Was the engine on? Some cars do not send power to the lighter unless the engine is running (or key turned to "ACC")
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I charge my Motorola phone and Samsung tablet from 12v regularly.

Have you used the outlet for anything else?

Was the car(s) running when you tried it out?
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Check your fuse box. If your charger has no light indicating it's plugged in, you can check your fuses to make sure the it's not blown. Also, sometimes cheaper charges don't work well with newer phones.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

The car was running. I tried two different cars, so a blown fuse is not likely.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

runninginvestor wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:53 pm Check your fuse box. If your charger has no light indicating it's plugged in, you can check your fuses to make sure the it's not blown. Also, sometimes cheaper charges don't work well with newer phones.
There is no separate charger or charger light. There is a connector to the car that has a USB socket, the cable goes from that socket to a USB-C connector that plugs into the phone.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

I've never had issues charging in cars -- multiple cars, multiple cigarette adapters, multiple phones and I-pads. Did have one cable visibly broken mid-travel, paid $15 at a travel oasis store that would only have cost $5 on Amazon.

New does necessarily mean working.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

sport wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:21 pm
runninginvestor wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:53 pm Check your fuse box. If your charger has no light indicating it's plugged in, you can check your fuses to make sure the it's not blown. Also, sometimes cheaper charges don't work well with newer phones.
There is no separate charger or charger light. There is a connector to the car that has a USB socket, the cable goes from that socket to a USB-C connector that plugs into the phone.
Those sockets usually have an indicator light/glow as well. Your new charger is the most likely problem. Have you tried it with a different device?
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

sailaway wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:25 pm
sport wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:21 pm
Those sockets usually have an indicator light/glow as well. Your new charger is the most likely problem. Have you tried it with a different device?
I have no other device that has a USB-C socket.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Your Samsung Galaxy A13 has a standard USB-C port and should be able to charge from any USB-C charger. I would suspect something is wrong with the car charger or cable you bought. Anker is a reliable brand for chargers.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

I hesitate to tell you to "push harder", but some new or cheap units might not seat into the cigar lighter without sufficient persuasion. A related check is to manually press on whatever protrusions make contact with the (big round, cylindrical) sleeve contact of the lighter. Are they hard to depress? Do they pop right back out firmly?

Can you try somebody else's car?

I agree that the cheapest chargers on Amazon are often defective. What is your report on whether there is an LED pilot light on the charger body?
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

Try process of elimination. Can you find a USB socket elsewhere to see if that cable will charge your phone? If the cable works, then focus on 12V adapter. You could see if you can find some USB device that lights up or powers up that you could power from the 12V adapter to see if it is outputting voltage. But if that costs more than a 12V adapter, it may not be worth it. Make sure your 12V adapter is pushed in hard into the lighter socket. Ideally, buy a 12V adapter with a light so you know the socket has power and is pushed in enough to make contact.

Usually the issue with cars is slow charging and not no charging. My samsung phone will charge, fast charge, or super fast charge. You need different USB power chips to support this functions. My last 12V adapter supports Quick Charge 2.0 which will fast charge my samsung phone. I got a new phone that will Super Fast charge, but I need either Quick Charge 3.0 or one of the PD protocols to do that in the USB power adapter.

A generic USB port in a car or computer will probably just slow charge your phone.

On my last phone, crappy USB cords (and perhaps pocket lint) wore out the USB port on the phone and I could not charge by cable. So I bought an inductive charger for home and car that supports the fast charge mode. I highly recommend doing some charging inductively so you don't wear out your only wired interface to the phone.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I use a little USB multitester bought at Amazon to help diagnose charging issues, cables, voltages, amperages, and wattages associated with USB devices. Phones and other modern USB-chargeable devices have protective circuitry to help prevent damage from shorted cables and other problems.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

crefwatch wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:48 pm I hesitate to tell you to "push harder", but some new or cheap units might not seat into the cigar lighter without sufficient persuasion. A related check is to manually press on whatever protrusions make contact with the (big round, cylindrical) sleeve contact of the lighter. Are they hard to depress? Do they pop right back out firmly?

Can you try somebody else's car?

I agree that the cheapest chargers on Amazon are often defective. What is your report on whether there is an LED pilot light on the charger body?
I plugged the cord into a USB port on my computer. The phone charged that way. So, the cord is fine. There is no "charger body". There is just a plug that fits into the 12V socket. It does not have a light. The contacts are not hard to depress and the pop right back. I tried both of my cars.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

When you say it’s not charging, do you mean it’s not registering as being plugged in, or do you mean that despite it being plugged in and saying its charging, it still drains? If the latter, it may be that the charger you bought does not supply enough power for the phone. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max and if I’m using navigation with the screen brightness up, despite being plugged in, the phone still drains battery.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:55 pm When you say it’s not charging, do you mean it’s not registering as being plugged in, or do you mean that despite it being plugged in and saying its charging, it still drains? If the latter, it may be that the charger you bought does not supply enough power for the phone. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max and if I’m using navigation with the screen brightness up, despite being plugged in, the phone still drains battery.
The phone does not say it is charging. The "charger" is just a plug and a cord.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

It seems then, your 12v adapter is defective.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

I have identified the problem. I tested the cord, and it works. I tested the plug in a Honda. It works there. I tested another plug in my Toyota. It works there. So, the answer is that the 12-volt plug is not compatible with my two Camrys. One would think that a "cigarette lighter" type plug would be a standard item, that would work in any car. Apparently this is not always the case. Thank you to those who offered suggestions. :beer
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

I agree. A 12V plug is a power source that should power anything plugged in. It should not care what that is. Have you tried the socket with anything eilse?
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

krafty81 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:09 pm I agree. A 12V plug is a power source that should power anything plugged in. It should not care what that is. Have you tried the socket with anything eilse?
Yes. I tried another plug and it worked. Then I put the problem plug back in and it still did not work.
billaster

Post by billaster »

sport wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:52 pm I have identified the problem. I tested the cord, and it works. I tested the plug in a Honda. It works there. I tested another plug in my Toyota. It works there. So, the answer is that the 12-volt plug is not compatible with my two Camrys. One would think that a "cigarette lighter" type plug would be a standard item, that would work in any car. Apparently this is not always the case. Thank you to those who offered suggestions. :beer
The fact that it works in your Honda means that electrically the plug is fine. The problem must be mechanical. The plug is not making contact with the socket in the Camry. You might trying inserting the plug and then rotating it 90 degrees at a time and seeing if you can make contact.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

billaster wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:51 pm
sport wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:52 pm I have identified the problem. I tested the cord, and it works. I tested the plug in a Honda. It works there. I tested another plug in my Toyota. It works there. So, the answer is that the 12-volt plug is not compatible with my two Camrys. One would think that a "cigarette lighter" type plug would be a standard item, that would work in any car. Apparently this is not always the case. Thank you to those who offered suggestions. :beer
The fact that it works in your Honda means that electrically the plug is fine. The problem must be mechanical. The plug is not making contact with the socket in the Camry. You might trying inserting the plug and then rotating it 90 degrees at a time and seeing if you can make contact.
I pushed, I rotated, I took it out and pushed it in again, etc. etc. etc. I believe that there is something keeping it from going in far enough to make the center contact. No matter how much I tried to manipulate it, it would not make contact.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

sport wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:44 am
billaster wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:51 pm
I pushed, I rotated, I took it out and pushed it in again, etc. etc. etc. I believe that there is something keeping it from going in far enough to make the center contact. No matter how much I tried to manipulate it, it would not make contact.
Then the next step is to get another plug of a different type. Some plugs just don't work with some sockets.
The Sensible Steward
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:39 am Then the next step is to get another plug of a different type. Some plugs just don't work with some sockets.
OP, I have a Scosche charger that I have used in my 2008 RAV4 for a few years now. They have newer models and this brand is one recommended by Wirecutter.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
wander

Post by wander »

I would use a multi-meter to read voltage on the Camry and see if the contact pins get connnected to the cable. It seems weird.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

wander wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:43 am I would use a multi-meter to read voltage on the Camry and see if the contact pins get connnected to the cable. It seems weird.
That's a good idea.
The Sensible Steward
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Did you buy this charger at a gas station?
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:42 am
willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:39 am Then the next step is to get another plug of a different type. Some plugs just don't work with some sockets.
OP, I have a Scosche charger that I have used in my 2008 RAV4 for a few years now. They have newer models and this brand is one recommended by Wirecutter.
Seconded. The Scosche chargers are high quality and work well. I have been using the same one in my car for many years.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:49 am Did you buy this charger at a gas station?
I don't even buy gasoline at a gas station. :D
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

sport wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:14 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:49 am Did you buy this charger at a gas station?
I don't even buy gasoline at a gas station. :D
maybe your car is out of gas? :P
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
woolie

Post by woolie »

Some cigarette lighter adapters have a fuse. Try unscrewing the body of the cigarette adapter, a fuse may fall out. You can test the fuse with a multimeter of just visually inspect that the fine wire inside is unbroken.
woolie

Post by woolie »

Some cigarette lighter adapters have a fuse. Try unscrewing the body of the cigarette adapter, a fuse may fall out. You can test the fuse with a multimeter of just visually inspect that the fine wire inside is unbroken.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

woolie wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:38 am Some cigarette lighter adapters have a fuse. Try unscrewing the body of the cigarette adapter, a fuse may fall out. You can test the fuse with a multimeter of just visually inspect that the fine wire inside is unbroken.
So your theory is that the fuse prevents it from working in the OP's Toyotas, but allows it to work when they tried it in the Honda? :mrgreen:
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

neilpilot wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:46 am
woolie wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:38 am Some cigarette lighter adapters have a fuse. Try unscrewing the body of the cigarette adapter, a fuse may fall out. You can test the fuse with a multimeter of just visually inspect that the fine wire inside is unbroken.
So your theory is that the fuse prevents it from working in the OP's Toyotas, but allows it to work when they tried it in the Honda? :mrgreen:
Not sure but may mean the female socket (car side).
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

I buy a lot of consumer electronics. My rule these days is that I spend a couple minutes troubleshooting something, and if I can't get it to work I return it. Despite having a full electronics shop in my basement, there's no way I would bother walking down to get a multimeter to troubleshoot this. Just return it and move on to a different vendor.

On the topic of picking a charger, you really want to pick something that supports modern standards for fast charging. Upthread someone recommended Scosche as a source -- here's a good example of a charger that will very likely work and supports fast charging. This one also has the benefit of a USB-C port, which is really where you want to head for new accessories.

https://www.scosche.com/mini-usbc-car-fast-charger-pd30

Another option to consider (if you have room and the need) is something like this Bestek 200W charger/inverter. It goes in the cupholder in the car, and the 110v power is useful for charging laptops. It's not quite as up to date on charging standards, and only has USB-A, but has 2.4A ports which will charge pretty quickly.

https://www.bestekdirect.com/bestek-200 ... 71k6_3jhgl
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

Thanks for all the suggestions. The plug works in a Honda. So, the plug is good. Another plug works in the Toyota. So, the Toyota is good. Everything is in working order. It's just that plug will not work in either of my Toyotas. It is just some sort of compatibility problem. I just need to get a different 12-volt plug.
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

I once had a USB car charger that had a flange which prevented it from being inserted deep enough in one of my cars. I also had another charger that wouldn't stay inserted. It would just pop back out. So it's a bit hit or miss on whether a particular charger works with your car. I would just return it and try a different one.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Another solution is to just buy a different car.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:00 pm Another solution is to just buy a different car.
Of course, that is necessary, but not sufficient. I could have the same problem with the new car. Therefore, when I go car shopping, I have to take the 12-volt plug and my phone with me to make sure they work in the new car. I would not want to buy another car and then find I have the same problem.

Hmmm, let me see. I can get another plug for about $10. A comparable car would be about $30,000. I'm just not sure how to proceed. I'll have to think about it.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Many new cars have USB-C charge ports built in. :D
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Afty wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:44 pm Many new cars have USB-C charge ports built in. :D
and wireless charging pads.
billaster

Post by billaster »

Have you looked inside with a flashlight to see if any foreign object has fallen into the socket?

Another possibility is that another longer plug was pushed in and depressed or bent the center contact of the socket so your new plug won't reach it. You could compare your two working and non-working plugs for length side by side but it could be just a tiny fraction of an inch that wouldn't be visible.

You could try pulling on the center contact of the socket with needle nose pliers to bend the contact up but first make sure power is off before you try this.
jimhend1

Post by jimhend1 »

Samsung phones have smart charge circuitry that protects the battery. You must use a 12VDC car charger (assuming you have really confirmed your socket is good) that specifically calls out Samsung phones. Look for Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 that identifies mobile devices and provides optimum charging efficiency up to 4 times faster than conventional charging. Can't use the standard charger you can get just anywhere. Also, it is not a problem with indoor 120V charge cubes, only the car socket.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

jimhend1 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:06 pm Can't use the standard charger you can get just anywhere.
What would happen if I used a standard charger instead of a proper one?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

sport wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:39 pm
jimhend1 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:06 pm Can't use the standard charger you can get just anywhere.
as long as the outcome isn't destruction, you can test this in the Honda. :P
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

sport wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:06 amI just need to get a different 12-volt plug.
Bingo.
The Sensible Steward
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

Afty wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:44 pm Many new cars have USB-C charge ports built in. :D
Built-in charging circuitry quickly gets obsolete. Nowadays you need QC4.0, PD3.0, PPS. At least 65 watts. And built in USB ports just do not have that in most cases, but ~$30 (not $10) car chargers from Amazon do.

Car manufacturers tend to be very conservative with technology. It is still possible to buy brand new cars that don't support Android Auto, for example. And when they do, it is only wired Android Auto.
Last edited by Chuckles960 on Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Chuckles960 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:29 pmBuilt-in charging circuitry quickly gets obsolete. Nowadays you need QC4.0, PD3.0, PPS. At least 65 watts. And built in USB ports just do not have that in most cases.
Well, I don't have any devices that will use more than 20 W when getting charged, so at the moment I do not need at least 65 W.

OTOH, I have multiple ways of charging things including a couple of inverters to create AC power even if the car battery is dead and a way to jump-start a dead battery. So with the inverters, I could use any wall charger at least for a little while.
jimhend1

Post by jimhend1 »

sport wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:39 pm
Just what you get now. Won't charge, dead battery.
jimhend1

Post by jimhend1 »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:12 pm
Chuckles960 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:29 pmBuilt-in charging circuitry quickly gets obsolete. Nowadays you need QC4.0, PD3.0, PPS. At least 65 watts. And built in USB ports just do not have that in most cases.
Well, I don't have any devices that will use more than 20 W when getting charged, so at the moment I do not need at least 65 W.

OTOH, I have multiple ways of charging things including a couple of inverters to create AC power even if the car battery is dead and a way to jump-start a dead battery. So with the inverters, I could use any wall charger at least for a little while.
Or spend $10 at amazon and get the charger that will work.