Choosing Insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
vss317

Choosing Insurance

Post by vss317 »

Every year at open enrollment I debate insurance plans and not sure why I haven't asked here for opinions. We're a family of four, wife and two kiddos aged 5 and soon to be 3. Overall we're pretty healthy, no chronic illness, just the usual seasonal sickness. These are the options I'm debating:

Cigna LocalPlus PPO (current plan)
Individual Deductible: $2,500
Family Deductible: $7,500
Individual Max Out of Pocket: $6,350
Family Max Out of Pocket: $12,700
Premiums: $0, firm pays them in full

Cigna OAP HDHP/HSA
Individual Deductible: $3,000
Family Deductible: $6,000
Individual Max Out of Pocket: $6,000
Family Max Out of Pocket: $12,000
Premiums: $0, but would try to contribute the max to the HSA

I know there is more that goes into insurance like the copays and all, but hopefully the above info can get me some advice. If more is needed, please let me know.

Thank you,

VSS
BobTexas

Re: Choosing Insurance

Post by BobTexas »

If you choose the HDHP does your employer contribute anything to your HSA? Many will
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

BobTexas wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:18 am If you choose the HDHP does your employer contribute anything to your HSA? Many will
+1 That’s important in making a decision
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

My primary doctor told me once that HDHP/HSA plans are a disincentive to obtaining care. It's no wonder that employers push them as hard as they do. Be aware of that. You may need to pay a few hundred dollars for what otherwise would have been a routine doctor's appointment with a very small copay. If any member of your family needs an MRI, you'll pay thousands of dollars for it. Are you willing to do that?
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
awval999

Post by awval999 »

My thought is that the deductibles are so similar in the PPO vs. HSA that it makes sense to go with the HSA because you can start building tax-free funds to pay the deductible charges.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Having an HSA is a great benefit.

Particularly based on your numbers, I would definitely go with the HDHP plan.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Topic Author
vss317

Post by vss317 »

BobTexas wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:18 am If you choose the HDHP does your employer contribute anything to your HSA? Many will
To answer this question, they contribute $1000.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Seal the Deal

Post by Seal the Deal »

Your deductible is only $500 more with the HDHP. Calculate your tax savings from your HSA contribution and I bet it's more than $500. You also have lower max out of pocket with the HDHP. Looks like a win.

Your employer contributes $1k to the HSA it's a bigger win.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Assuming you have access to the same providers and services, the HDHP seems best.