central air - maintenance?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CloseEnough

central air - maintenance?

Post by CloseEnough »

Do you all do any annual maintenance on central air systems?

I had central air installed about 4 years ago and have been replacing the filter each year, but that is the only maintenance I have done. System works fine, no issues. I am more familiar with oil fueled furnace heat systems, and I do have annual maintenance done on the furnace. Should I be doing something similar with the central air system, or if ain't broke, don't fix it?

Thanks.
jebmke

Re: central air - maintenance?

Post by jebmke »

We have our heat pump checked twice a year. It is required for the labor part of our warranty.

This spring they found (and I verified) that the condensate pump was shot.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We just replaced a 29-year-old central air system. It had no outside professional maintenance ever. We did typical homeowner maintenance:
Make sure condensate line was not clogged with spider webs, mud daubers, and mold. We have permanent washable filters, so occasionally clean them. Keep leaves and vines off the outside units. And we never ever cleaned the coils.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

CloseEnough wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:08 am Do you all do any annual maintenance on central air systems?
No.
Should I be doing something similar with the central air system, or if ain't broke, don't fix it?
If you feel the need to pay money for annual maintenance for your heating, why would you feel differently about cooling?
Is it a climate thing?
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Beleiber

Post by Beleiber »

Each year, in July, we wash the outside condenser coils with a garden hose after pre-soaking with condenser coil cleaner.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Foaming-Clea ... ol-Yellow/

Not sure if it makes a difference but looks cleaner.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

Clean the exterior (condenser) coils. Just the cleaner and a hose-down as described above.
Inspect and clean if needed the interior (evaporator) coils. Trickier if it needs cleaning because it's often an inverted "V" shape and spraying on the cleaner alone is not as effective as a hose.
Pour a gallon of warm water with bleach down the condensate line.
Change the filter, clear the area around the filter which seems to attract dirt and dust.

I cannot imagine what the annual "service" plan my installer wants $600 for achieves. Do they pressure test the refrigerant lines? Test resistance on the caps? I somehow think not. But I certainly get scolded by the gal at the company for NOT having it when a 5-year old variable speed motor fails, or the start cap fails, and I need service.
Between our rental SFH (21 years old) and residence (9 years old) I've probably spent $1800 in repairs over the years, most of that on the crappy variable speed motor (the expensive part is the control board, but unlike older 2-speed fans, it's soldered right onto the fan itself. Progress!) So by my count I'm $16,200 ahead at the moment.
Cheers
Topic Author
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

JoeRetire wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:22 am
CloseEnough wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:08 am Do you all do any annual maintenance on central air systems?
No.
Should I be doing something similar with the central air system, or if ain't broke, don't fix it?
If you feel the need to pay money for annual maintenance for your heating, why would you feel differently about cooling?
Is it a climate thing?
No, not a climate thing. Oil based heating systems have a number of sensitive adjustments, are dirty and require regular cleaning to run efficiently (guess that is a climate thing). So I maintain that system and am not qualified to do it myself, so yes I feel the need to pay for it. I am less familiar with central air units but have a general sense that they are not dirty and do not require annual adjustments, so don't need annual maintenance. Seems like that's what the experience of some others here has been.

Thanks to all for the responses.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I have a guy come once a year for routine checkup/maintenance and I change the air filter as I see fit during the year…it’s not that expensive.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

CloseEnough wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:08 am 1
Do you all do any annual maintenance on central air systems?
I had central air installed about 4 years ago and have been replacing the filter each year, but that is the only maintenance I have done.
System works fine, no issues.
I am more familiar with oil fueled furnace heat systems, and I do have annual maintenance done on the furnace.

Thanks.
To OP:

1. Never have had maintenance done or do annual checks, etc, on HVAC and utility systems.

(Substantively, and with experience beyond a "comment", my G.C. company and property management company did do scheduled system checks for multi unit apartment buildings from single to 10 plus stories high, etc.)
This included: changing belts on roof vent fan pulley's, checking bearings, HCAC line pressures, etc, etc.

But, for my own home (s). No.
However, thru the year, I'm always aware of something that "isn't right" and check on things.

2. The annual filter change is good that you do.
**As others have chimed in:
a) condensate (drip line) check and clear out. If you don't have a clear see through "P" trap installed, put one in.
b) no sense repeating here: (check online for homeowners "DIY" list of HVAC system checks and maintenance).

3. dont' wait until things are broken or not working to check on things. Checking is free.

4. Great. Check on all of your HVAC systems yourself regularly, annually, etc.

5. per #2 above.

I hope this is helpful.
j :D

dis laimer: many ways to do things and opinionizations based on nil to extensive experience. This is only one to hopefully help.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Nope, once every 3-years or so each on the AC and furnace. Every 6-months, I do wash the outside AC unit, however.
Mullins

Post by Mullins »

Clear the condensation drain pipe. It builds up stuff that clogs it and that water can then back-flow, spill over the drip pan and may cause water damage. It did us, being that the unit was in the attic.

Popular remedies include pouring a water/bleach mixture down the train, but to make absolutely sure the clog is gone, what I do every year is use a wet vac outside to vacuum out any clog and standing water. Make the connection to the pipe end air-tight by wrapping a rag around the connection with the wet vac, run it for a minute.
"The Quality of the Answer Depends on the Quality of Your Question."
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Mullins wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:46 am Clear the condensation drain pipe. It builds up stuff that clogs it and that water can then back-flow, spill over the drip pan and may cause water damage. It did us, being that the unit was in the attic.

Popular remedies include pouring a water/bleach mixture down the train, but to make absolutely sure the clog is gone, what I do every year is use a wet vac outside to vacuum out any clog and standing water. Make the connection to the pipe end air-tight by wrapping a rag around the connection with the wet vac, run it for a minute.
Excellent point. I learned to do this after condensate backup up in one of my 3 HVACs in my attic and damaged the wiring to the blower. Luckily I was able to fix it easily, but there's corrosion in the A-coil pan that may eventually result in early demise of the system.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

All systems are checked once per year.

If you have a fossil-fuel-burning heater I would recommend having it professionally inspected at least once per year.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

JoeRetire wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:22 am
No.
+1. I change the filters... And maybe every couple of years I hose down the outdoor condenser with a can of coil cleaner spray.

There really isn't anything to "maintain". Unless it leaks the refrigerant will never need filling, and there is nothing to adjust or lubricate. People who spend $$$ on maintenance contracts are mostly just throwing money away to feel good.

Like Ive said many times, about the only home heating and cooling system that needs frequent maintenance is oil fired heat as the burner nozzles and oil filters clog and need changing and the tech has to clean the soot out of the heat exchanger and do a flue gas analysis to tune the burner. Everything else is easy DIY.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

I usually have someone do a checkup on the system once or every 2 years to see if there are any issue like leaking refrigerant. See if you can get someone you trust though like someone you know is using. The reason is that my inlaw had some guy do maintenance and they basically cause refrigrant leak out. You also don't want some person saying that you need service.

If you do this early enough when you switch on the system, you may be able to figure out there is a problem early and get it fixed before the summer rush.

I also change filter every 3 months.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

finite_difference wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:32 am All systems are checked once per year.

If you have a fossil-fuel-burning heater I would recommend having it professionally inspected at least once per year.
My 3 furnaces are all fossil fueled with natural gas. I don't consider annual professional inspections needed. If they used fuel oil that would be different.
JayB

Post by JayB »

Our heat pump provides central a/c and heating. We've never had it professionally checked in 16 years and never cleaned/sprayed the outdoor coil unit; it gets pretty well rinsed when rain is drawn through it.

In a/c mode, we know that the heat pump should drop the temperature at least 20 deg F between the air inlet temperature in our home and the outlet vent in our kitchen. If the change ever drops below that, we will probably call for service.

After the a/c season ends, we flush the condensate pump and discharge tube to the outside with a 50/50 vinegar/water solution. Then we disconnect the pump and clean it thoroughly with a brush and some bleachy water to get off the grunge. Then spray it down with Lysol. The pump gets reconnected at the start of the next a/c season.

Also, we used to replace the bulky Aprilaire merv 10 filter once a year at about $20 a pop. But inspection showed that it could go 2 years between changes, so that's what we do.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

We had our A/C looked at this year for the first time since we bought this house 4 years ago. The guy basically cleaned out the outside unit, said everything looked good in the attic, changed the filter (I had to provide since I have the big fat 6” thick filters). I probably wouldn’t do it again unless there was an issue.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Years ago an hvac man told me that if I would wash out my outside condensing unit and change the filter it would eliminate a lot of problems. He said I didn't necessarily have to use a coil cleaner, just use an ordinary water hose and wash out the condensing unit. I do this once a year every spring before I turn my A/C on for the summer. Some people recommend changing the filter once a month, but I only change mine once a year. I depends on how dirty they get. If the filter is all matted up with dust and restricting the air flow, it needs changing. I have been doing this for years and it eliminates a lot of service calls, and my unit runs more efficiently. The total time I spend doing this is probably about 30 minutes a year. If it eliminates one service call, it's well worth it.
ETA: I forgot to add that you need to prune any shrubs or remove anything that obstructs the air flow back around 18 to 36 inches from the outside condensing unit.
Last edited by Abe on Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Boomer01

Post by Boomer01 »

I don't do anything other than change the filters every 3 or 4 months.
Gill

Post by Gill »

I guess I’m in the minority with a service contract to service our two units twice a year. I’ve lived in South Florida for 45 years and have experienced an A/C shutting down in midsummer. Believe me, a house is unlivable when that happens and mold issues develop quickly. I happily pay $250 a year to try and assure both units keep running.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

We have our furnace/AC inspected annually. This is to maintain the 10 year Lennox warranty.

They have replaced a few parts under warranty (in the first 5 years) and this year had to add Freon to the system as it was a bit low.

On a newer system, it is mostly cleaning/inspecting.

It will cost you about $200, but is worth it to keep on top of potential issues and keep the warranty in place.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Gill wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:04 am I guess I’m in the minority with a service contract to service our two units twice a year. I’ve lived in South Florida for 45 years and have experienced an A/C shutting down in midsummer. Believe me, a house is unlivable when that happens and mold issues develop quickly. I happily pay $250 a year to try and assure both units keep running.
Gill
Correlation without causation. Is the issue that caused the breakdown anything that would have been cought and corrected in the twice a year "service" ? And even if they did, is $250x however many years less than the cost of that emergency repair?
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

attended a local Home and Garden Show in April, and "won" a free maintenance check. Came, told us low on freon and unit on last legs. (its a 2007 Carrier). We were given quote to replace. Called friend's son who owns a AC company, he agreed low on freon, but looked good, added 6 lbs. Fast forward to a few weeks ago - AC would blow but not cool. Filed claim on Home Warranty - sent a guy out, who immediately spotted that the wires were switched on the capacitor. Hum. Can't prove it, but sure the Free Maintenance was to get business. All you need is to hose off the outside unit, keep vines, bushes away and change filters often.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I have central air in my full time residence and also in what is mostly a rental property. I never do anything in one, as I could live without AC if necessary and the condensate pump is in an unfinished basement. I have service twice a year at the other one - it would be unlivable without AC, the guts of the system are in the attic, and I’m not there much. I know quite a few people who have had significant damage from leaking attic units, so I like somebody keeping an eye on it.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

My HVAC guy came yesterday and pulled off the outside cover grate and the inside of the grate was fully coated like a blanket with cotton pollen from cottonwood trees in the area. He cleaned that out and did a full system check and noted the capacitor was not up to snuff so he replaced it. I disagree with anyone who says no annual check is necessary.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

My highly rated and apparently honest HVAC company owner told me this when his tech recommended a professional cleaning of the evap coils - since the unit is nearing 20 years old, it's not worth the cost of a pro going into the unit to try to clean it, which likely would not do much to improve performance. As long as operating pressure and temps are fine, don't worry about it. Change the filter, clean the compressor as best you can, and let it ride until it dies. I appreciated this very much since he talked me out of a 500-1000 service call! I know where I'll buy my next unit from now.

I do get the furnace looked at at least every couple years. Much worse to be without heat in the dead of winter than for the AC to go out where I live. Plus burning gas poorly causes indoor pollution=bad news.

Change your filter more frequently - use the cheapies as they provide better air flow.
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

I do as since I had my house split into dual zones the heating unit is now in my attic and a ladder is required to get there. I am not comfortable trying to get up there and as I get older, a happy to pay people to do things I can no longer do.

What I didn't realize when I had the system split was that my unit uses the old freon and will soon need to be replaced, but glad the ductwork and thermostats etc are already done.
Gill

Post by Gill »

Dave55 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:31 pm I disagree with anyone who says no annual check is necessary.

Dave
Agree, Dave. The regular maintenance won't eliminate all potential problems but living in South Florida I choose to improve the odds. I once spent three August days in Naples, Florida waiting for a part to arrive for my disabled A/C and they were the most miserable days I've ever spent with little sleep, sweating all night in bed and then donning my suit and tie for a day at the office. If the part hadn't arrived the day it did I had decided to check into a hotel.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
long_drink

Post by long_drink »

cbs2002 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:02 pm Change your filter more frequently - use the cheapies as they provide better air flow.
I agree with this. I change my monthly along with putting a pan tablet in the condensate drain line p-trap (I can't access the pan easily). I'll probably start pouring vinegar down the line each month while I'm up there too.
Topic Author
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

The warranty issue I had not thought of, and from what I now know would be the only reason I would do yearly service. My system was new in 2018, but I'm guessing I've already blown it on that issue, too late to start servicing now, so I'll just answer to Dirty Harry. Feeling lucky.
JDave

Post by JDave »

You'll keep your evaporator cleaner and improve your indoor air quality by sealing the edges of the filter with painter's tape. Unfiltered air bypasses the filter if not.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

JDave wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:19 pm You'll keep your evaporator cleaner and improve your indoor air quality by sealing the edges of the filter with painter's tape. Unfiltered air bypasses the filter if not.
Maybe true for cheap filters. The filters I use in all 3 units (all different sizes unfortunately) all come with foam attached to seal around the edges.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

What we do is more like bimonthly filter changes, with a 20 by 20 (for example) filter that nothing is really getting through. If you have a "pretend" filter (some units came from the factory with that) or the return ductwork was not really built to prevent bypassing, it's better to just correct that.

My evaporators are spotlessly clean, always. I've never had any need to clean one. Wouldn't try, really.

There are two common problems you'd want to watch for over time, well, three, I would say:
1. Freon leak
2. Condensate problems
3. a capacitor goes bad.

There's not any prevention that gets done for freon leaks. There's just not. You could certainly get a guy to check freon levels, but just be warned there is some approximate-ness to that, and you're going to lose a little just for hooking up. If you want to ignore it, wait until you are running the air conditioner on a nice cool day and the evaporator freezes, that is your diagnosis. You could also monitor power consumption on the outdoor unit and draw conclusions from that. I just mention that for fun.

Condensate problems come in maybe two varieties:
2a. The unit internals fail, probably because corrosion, and the unit starts putting water in the wrong place somewhere (like the floor).
2b. The condensate removal "system", whatever you have, fails to remove it.
You should probably learn to service the condensate removal system yourself.
These days, they make really cool little water leak detectors that could give you a prompt warning and honestly if I was a better man I'd buy some.

When the capacitors go bad, they are super-easy to replace and they cost about $25. There are three motors on the unit: The fan outside, the fan inside, and the compressor. When a cap goes bad, one of these motors won't start. Be prepared to notice this and shut it down. There is no prevention for this, but I guess you could just put a new cap on that outside unit every two or three years. I don't know if anybody does that.
This time is the same
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

firebirdparts wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:38 am What we do is more like bimonthly filter changes, with a 20 by 20 (for example) filter that nothing is really getting through. If you have a "pretend" filter (some units came from the factory with that) or the return ductwork was not really built to prevent bypassing, it's better to just correct that.
Just for clarification, are your bimonthly filter changes twice each month or every 2 months?
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Gill wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:04 am I guess I’m in the minority with a service contract to service our two units twice a year. I’ve lived in South Florida for 45 years and have experienced an A/C shutting down in midsummer. Believe me, a house is unlivable when that happens and mold issues develop quickly. I happily pay $250 a year to try and assure both units keep running.
Gill
Yeah, me too!

We have two checks during the year on our two heat pumps. Rarely our A/C guy finds something, fixes it or returns with a part. Neither visit has labor charged if he was out to inspect.

The company I use was bought out by my current A/C guy, I had plenty of history with him while he was an employee of the company.

He still services our units himself, so I like the continuity and trust we have established over the years.

We don't really have the ability to climb up through a scuttle hole to access the upstairs air handler in the attic. Frankly, it wouldn't be a job I would do were I able.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Lalamimi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:08 pm ...added 6 lbs.
That's probably half the total capacity. I'd consider mine broken if it needed 6lbs of refrigerant.
sleepy06

Post by sleepy06 »

I had central air installed about 4 years ago and have been replacing the filter each year, but that is the only maintenance I have done. System works fine, no issues. I am more familiar with oil fueled furnace heat systems, and I do have annual maintenance done on the furnace. Should I be doing something similar with the central air system, or if ain't broke, don't fix it?

Thanks.
We have three A/C units. We have service contracts on them. One allowed an extensive repair to be performed with labor included although the part was through warranty or vice versa.

Overall, I think it's a borderline scam although it played in our favor this time. They spend hours documenting all of these parameters and really the only work done is hosing off the unit and making sure the drain lines are patent.

We did have a drain line come apart in the attic this year and generated water pooling around a wall. Luckily I had some pipe cement and crawled out in the attic to fix it late one evening with a head lamp.

If your A/C is not working well, you will know it. It will be loud or it will be hot when the machine is trying to cool things down.

They also always try to sell me things like wrapping this or that in a new insulation, etc when there is really not a problem. I feel like I am paying a salesman to come into my home and sell me things.

I totally respect our companies though and like the people. I just don't know that it is a valuable service for us.
cabfranc

Post by cabfranc »

finite_difference wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:32 am All systems are checked once per year.

I agree with this advice. When we had natural gas heat, especially as the unit got older, we had it inspected every year to make sure all of the safety devices, such as the thermocoupler, were working properly.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

neilpilot wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:06 am
firebirdparts wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:38 am What we do is more like bimonthly filter changes, with a 20 by 20 (for example) filter that nothing is really getting through. If you have a "pretend" filter (some units came from the factory with that) or the return ductwork was not really built to prevent bypassing, it's better to just correct that.
Just for clarification, are your bimonthly filter changes twice each month or every 2 months?
2 months. Or quarterly, if you prefer.

Also, what I meant by "pretend" filter was gauze. Some industrial applications use it where you have a whole room full of filters, and some unit come with that. Looks like this:
https://www.zoro.com/air-handler-30-in- ... HjEALw_wcB

It may be better than I think it is.
This time is the same
windaar

Post by windaar »

Had new AC/Furnace installed in 2019. HVAC guy (we have used for many years) did not recommend annual service. Change filter every 3 months with recommended MERV, regularly hose off cooling fins on outdoor unit when they get covered with cottonwood fluff.
Nobody knows nothing.
cubs1999

Post by cubs1999 »

When we first got the new system about 15 years ago, we signed up for the yearly service contract bc they sold us that line about needing it for warranty or whatever. After two years, I think, I stopped. I did the math and said if I took the amount (forgot how much it was) and just saved it, I'd have a good chunk of a new system when this eventually failed.

System made it pas the warranty period. I do service every few years. I did it last year and the guy left a sour taste in my mouth. He didn't scam or anything but he kept saying "Your air conditioner is working hard. do you wanna talk about buying a new system?"

No, I don't want to buy a new system until this is busted. If he hadn't tried the upsell, I probably would have had the maintenance done again this year.

I saved a bunch of coupons for these $50-75 deals early in the season for the maintenance from several companies but didn't do it this year. I worry about them breaking something on purpose and I really don't appreciate the upsell. I went as far as to look at reviews. I'm torn next year between using the same company that installed my system and that I've hired to do maintenance vs using coupons for one of these other companies that have reviews.ans saving $50-75 off the service.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

It would be cool if there was some data that showed median system life expectancy for system that reduce annual maintenance versus those that don’t.

I don’t let anybody touch my systems unless they stop working. And they seem to last longer than my friends who get the maintenance.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I'm a licensed HVAC repairman, but I don't do that for a living. I can't imagine it could possibly make a difference if I get to define the lifecycle. Unit "life," if we demand that life would end when we say it ends, would only come when the cost of fixing leaks, or the availability/cost of replacement parts (especially the compressor) makes a new unit attractive. Leaks and compressor life are both somewhat related to original build quality. Somewhat. I worry that cleaning the evaporator with chemicals would actually shorten the life, but I don't do it, so I got nothing judge by. I've never seen a speck of dirt on my units.

They tell me that the environment makes a huge difference. In a salty environment, at the beach, they last about 1/4 as long so they say. I don't live at the beach, but the inlaws do. External corrosion does not have any effect on compressor life, but has a big effect on the leaks.
This time is the same
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

There's nothing worse than a clogged condensate drain pipe. It's happened to me and it wasn't good for the ceiling below. It turned out the tray beneath the system was too small and did not catch the leaking water, and so the leak detection shut-off didn't activate. The repair guy installed a quick disconnect coupling for future cleaning. The lesson learned is that sometimes maintenance is a function of how things were installed in the first place.

If you're not do it yourselfer and only change the filters, definitely get the system checked with some regularity. If you follow them around nicely and learn about your system, you might see where you can skip a year and/or do some things yourself.

If you are a doityourselfer, you can do a lot yourself (but know what you're doing around electricity) . Our maintenance company just was out and they put great stock in the temperature difference between input air (in the return line) and output air. If that's good, then they don't check the refrigerant, nor much else. Makes sense to me. They found a kink in the line from the condensate pump, after first saying I needed a new condensate pump. Their price for a new pump was $300, installed. Price for exact same pump on Amazon: $60. But I don't begrudge their markup. They have lots of expenses
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We have a central air conditioning system in our 2-story house, with air handler in attic (above bed rooms) and compressor outside. We have annual maintenance by a well-established heating/AC company in spring together with maintenance of the heating system (furnace in basement). That costs us around $240 -300 together, sometimes need to replace a device for around $300, is acceptable. They always exchanged the air filter during that maintenance, asked me to do it again in August from now on.
brawlrats

Post by brawlrats »

Thanks.
We neglected annual maintenance for a few years and just had a tune up. We were low on refrigerant and a few other things needed tuning. The difference in air temperature coming from our vents is incredible. Pre tune up the temp was about 72...post-tune up, the temp is 62.5. Our electric bill in June was higher than ever, we now realize because the A/C was running constantly to try to keep up with the heat.

Failure to maintain can also lead to issue that cause the coils to ice up, which can lead to water issues around the unit if not taken care of.

I would recommend it.

We buy and replace our own filters from Amazon. Much cheaper and easy to do.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

I pay $100 once a year for a clean and check. I also replace the furnace filters regularly.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

firebirdparts wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:38 am ...but I guess you could just put a new cap on that outside unit every two or three years. I don't know if anybody does that.
One of my units was blowing a capacitor every 1-1.5 years. After about 4 years of this, the compressor fan died, and after I replaced it, the caps have been lasting 5+ years. I'm in central texas and in a 2 story house w/ one giant a/c for each floor.

The only regular maintenance for me is changing the furnace filters after 28 days of runtime (my thermostat reminds me), and pouring vinegar down the condensate pipes every 6 weeks during the summer.

Prior to our first baby, I did have an a/c system checkup, and watched. They checked the temperature delta to see how much it was cooling the air, checked refrigerant pressure levels, the current draw on the compressor motor, checked the contactor (i.e. relay) for carbon buildup on the electrical contacts, checked the capacitors, hosed down the coils (which weren't too dirty), inspected the evaporator, and just tightened all the screws on electrical connections.

I'm an electrical engineer and comfortable w/ electrical work so I keep a spare electrical contactor and set of capacitors on stock. This way, if the most common failure modes occur, I can quickly get it running again. The last time a capacitor went out, I had it working again within 30 minutes... the parts are inexpensive, but an emergency service is both expensive, and can take a while. This reminds me, it's been over a decade, so it might be time to take a look for carbon buildup on the contactors.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Good comments about the contactor and the vinegar (I use bleach). I don't suppose service calls include that.

We've had many instances over the years, of course, the A/C isn't on and generally, my wife expects immediate success, no matter if it's 3 am or where I'm supposed to be. One morning about 7 am she told me I had to fix it immediately and I thought "well this will probably take all day" but I observed that a bug had crawled into the contactor and it closed on him. I've worried about buildup on that one for sure, but it's still working.
This time is the same