ACAT transfer with Treasuries/T-Bills

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
stocknoob4111

ACAT transfer with Treasuries/T-Bills

Post by stocknoob4111 »

I bought T-Bills in my Vanguard Taxable which mature in about 4 more months. I've now decided that I actually want to hold these in my Fidelity taxable instead for organizational purposes. These bonds have lost some value due to increasing interest rates so obviously I will just hold to maturity and collect face value + interest.

Question - can I do in-kind ACAT transfer to Fidelity with T-Bills? Or should I just wait to maturity and then transfer the cash instead? I don't want to mess up and lose money so wanted to confirm that these can be transferred in kind.

I'll call Fidelity and ask as well but wanted to get a second opinion here...
MikeG62

Re: ACAT transfer with Treasuries/T-Bills

Post by MikeG62 »

I don't see why you could not do an ACAT transfer of the bonds. Should be the same process as transferring in kind any other asset.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

MikeG62 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:52 am I don't see why you could not do an ACAT transfer of the bonds. Should be the same process as transferring in kind any other asset.
+1.
The wiki has a page on transferring funds - and a section specifically on ACATS.
See link: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Transfe ... 28ACATS.29

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Topic Author
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

great, thank you, just wanted to double check that I can actually transfer in kind because the bonds have lost value albeit a very small amount as the duration isn't much.