Puerto Rico in December

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
d0gerz

Puerto Rico in December

Post by d0gerz »

Edit: Oops, sorry, wrong forum. Mods if you could please move to Personal Consumer Issues!

Looking for trip ideas in Puerto Rico for 2 adults and 2 kids (5 yo and 6 months). This will be our first time going. Currently have flights booked in and out of San Juan for 8 days towards the end of December but no hotels or anything else. I'm thinking we have time to do two destinations, maybe 3-4 days each. Most likely looking to rent a car and drive around. We are not looking for an all-inclusive resort and also prefer to eat as locals as much as possible.

Obviously spending some time at the beach is a goal. I have been reading about Culebra and Vieques. The idea of camping on the beach sounds fun to me but my wife is a bit apprehensive especially because of the infant. Anyone have experience with this? Also, looks like if we rent a car on the mainland, we wouldn't be able to take it to the islands. Does it make sense to rent another car (jeeps seem to be recommended), or can one get by without? Or should we just explore the mainland, which it looks like has a lot to offer.

Appreciate any tips, recommendations.
poker27

Re: Puerto Rico in December

Post by poker27 »

Big fan of Puerto Rico, although have never went with children.

Every Time I go I split up my trip… half the time on the Rincon side (wonderful beaches, and super laid back) and San Juan (cool history, bars and restaurants, and decent beaches). 3-3ish days on each side is perfect, IMO.

I rent a car each time I go, which is certainly needed in every area other than San Juan (I typically keep it parked at our Airbnb and it doesn’t move till we leave). I rented a keep once for the topless, it was cool, but of course not necessary.

I have not gone to Vieques, only because it seems like a bit of a hassle, but have heard good things. I recall looking at excursions that will handle all of the transport, might be worth looking into for a day trip.

I have not been camping on the beach, and have never even heard of that option. Personally, I probably wouldn’t be comfortable with it, especially with kids. Last time I went we rented two airbnbs right on the beach, with amazing views, both for under $300 a night.

I’m sure you will love it, we will likely be back in January.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

It's been a while since I've been to PR, but old town San Juan is incredibly atmospheric, just make sure to get away from the cruise harbor. I've been to Vieques but not Culebra; I loved the relaxed pace of Vieques, with some wonderful beaches, and the restaurants were outstanding.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

d0gerz wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:54 pm Edit: Oops, sorry, wrong forum. Mods if you could please move to Personal Consumer Issues!
Sure! This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (travel).

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and explained what's wrong.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

We were there this past January and it was perfect weather, almost no crowds. December might be a little busier with the holidays? Luquillo has nice beaches, good for families. Further out towards (Fajardo? I think) there are some more resorty-type places.
fatima526

Post by fatima526 »

d0gerz wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:54 pm I'm thinking we have time to do two destinations, maybe 3-4 days each. Most likely looking to rent a car and drive around. We are not looking for an all-inclusive resort and also prefer to eat as locals as much as possible.
I did similar trip (2 destinations, 3 days each) in May 1996. But didn't really 'drive around'.

- Landed at the San Juan airport.
- picked up rental car and drove straight to a resort in Guanica area (maybe 3.5 hours on the road). It was all-inclusive, very relaxed and quiet. I think used the car once while at the resort.
- After 3 resort days drove back to San Juan, returned the car, and stayed in one of the big hotels (possibly Condado?). From there I walked to Old SJ or the beach. One of the SJ days was a trip to the El Yunque rainforest (group trip from the hotel; transportation included).

A Puerto Rican co-worker at the time gave some tips before I went. There was one area in San Juan she said to NOT go to ( too dangerous). It was an area of pink-colored high rise apartments. So my last day in SJ I had some time to kill and decided to just ride the public bus on its loop. We'll wouldn't you know it went right thru the area she cautioned me about (soldiers on street corners with rifles to keep the peace). Nothing happened, but was still quite alarmed until I got back to the hotel. It makes for a great story decades later!
Trism

Post by Trism »

The idea of wild horses running around Vieques is charming until you arrive.

Think about what comes out of the back of the horse, and then picture yourself trying to avoid that wherever you walk.

And it doesn't matter where you walk, it smells like what a horse ate the day before.
realclemsongrad

Post by realclemsongrad »

d0gerz wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:54 pm Edit: Oops, sorry, wrong forum. Mods if you could please move to Personal Consumer Issues!

Looking for trip ideas in Puerto Rico for 2 adults and 2 kids (5 yo and 6 months). This will be our first time going. Currently have flights booked in and out of San Juan for 8 days towards the end of December but no hotels or anything else. I'm thinking we have time to do two destinations, maybe 3-4 days each. Most likely looking to rent a car and drive around. We are not looking for an all-inclusive resort and also prefer to eat as locals as much as possible.

Obviously spending some time at the beach is a goal. I have been reading about Culebra and Vieques. The idea of camping on the beach sounds fun to me but my wife is a bit apprehensive especially because of the infant. Anyone have experience with this? Also, looks like if we rent a car on the mainland, we wouldn't be able to take it to the islands. Does it make sense to rent another car (jeeps seem to be recommended), or can one get by without? Or should we just explore the mainland, which it looks like has a lot to offer.

Appreciate any tips, recommendations.
We did similar trip for 10 days for Veranda Del Mar area. We loved it. We stayed on a beach condo. The beach as such is ok but it is close to hiking places. As one of the posters indicated downtown San Juan is wonderful. Perhaps we did not venture out to all places but the places we have been felt very safe with lots of tourists. Weather and food is great and so are people. We wanted to hop on to USVI but due to flights delays and cancellations that trip was lost :). We plan on going again without kids but this time we want to spend a weekend in downtown itself. The drive from Veranda Del Mar to downtown usually was about 45-60 mins depending on traffic.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

Old San Juan and El Yunque are definitely worth a day each. The rest would be beach time and water sports, I would imagine. Both Vieques and Culebra are both worth visiting but they’re also pretty similar, so no need to hit both on the same trip.

Do yourself a favor—if you are going to eat local outside of tourist areas, brush up on your Spanish and the Puerto Rican dialect of the same. Most Puerto Ricans take English in school, but they don’t get any practice unless they work with tourists regularly. You will not be warmly welcomed if you burst in somewhere and expect them to converse in English with you. This reaction is not unique to Puerto Ricans, obviously.