Tell me about the CRV Hybrid

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

Tell me about the CRV Hybrid

Post by Fremdon Ferndock »

Have never owned a hybrid, but considering one in the future. Wondering what owners of a recent CRV hybrid think of the vehicle? How is the ride and noise level? The CRV turbo has some turbo lag and, of course, the engine is noisy on acceleration. What about the hybrid? The turbo engine has had some issues with oil dilution. Does the hybrid have any problems like this? I'm thinking about waiting for the new-gen CRV due out later this year, and the hybrid version.
"Risk is what’s left over when you think you’ve thought of everything." ~ Morgan Housel
livesoft

Re: Tell me about the CRV Hybrid

Post by livesoft »

We have a 2021 CR-V Hybrid. It's a mid-size SUV. It is a fine vehicle, but my 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R is just a superior driving experience.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

My understanding is that the MPG for the hybrid is much lower than the EPA estimate.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

The CRV hybrid does not come with a spare tire. This was a deal breaker for me.
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

I like my 2021 CRV hybrid. Usually get 38-41 mpg, except in coldest months in Wisconsin. Back seat is spacious for a small SUV. Ride is OK.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Id rather get Rav4 Hybrid or Prime. Basically the same car without the added risk factors of CRV that started from turbocharging their engine.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

I've looked into these lately and they seem like good cars. Regarding the mileage issue, it may be that the computer is underestimating the mileage, at least for some cars. An online car site (can't remember which one offhand) initially reported lower than expected mileage based on the computer. They later began calculating the mileage by hand and noticed a sizable difference with the CRV near the EPA estimate. Individuals in online forums have noted the same. Although, many others report meeting or exceeding the EPA numbers but didn't say if they're going by the computer's estimates or their own.

I did a test drive, expecting it to sound rough based on reviews, but was surprised at how quiet it was, including in highway driving. I drove the Touring trim so I don't know if that makes a difference in the amount of sound dampening it has or not.

It's not going to win any drag races but that's not what I'm looking for. It also felt bigger on the inside than outside. I was impressed with it. I'm also considering the Lexus NX hybrid but can't find one to test drive.

Note that the redesigned 2023 will be coming out soon. It's expected to have an updated drive system and better tech. It might be worth waiting for.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:17 pm Have never owned a hybrid, but considering one in the future. Wondering what owners of a recent CRV hybrid think of the vehicle? How is the ride and noise level? The CRV turbo has some turbo lag and, of course, the engine is noisy on acceleration. What about the hybrid? The turbo engine has had some issues with oil dilution. Does the hybrid have any problems like this? I'm thinking about waiting for the new-gen CRV due out later this year, and the hybrid version.
If you do a lot of urban-type driving: stop and go -- then the hybrid will deliver superior gas mileage (and also less brake wear?).

If you do most highway, the advantage will be less pronounced.
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

newyorker wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:43 pm Id rather get Rav4 Hybrid or Prime. Basically the same car without the added risk factors of CRV that started from turbocharging their engine.
Does the CRV Hybrid use a turbo?
"Risk is what’s left over when you think you’ve thought of everything." ~ Morgan Housel
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:49 am
newyorker wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:43 pm Id rather get Rav4 Hybrid or Prime. Basically the same car without the added risk factors of CRV that started from turbocharging their engine.
No, it does not. It uses the 2.0 liter that has mostly been around 'forever'.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-autom ... s-features
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

If most of your trips are short, would look at RAV 4 Prime before pulling the trigger. RAV 4 Prime will do about 40-45 miles on battery only before it switches to its hybrid system.
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

smitcat wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:10 am
No, it does not. It uses the 2.0 liter that has mostly been around 'forever'.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-autom ... s-features
Thankfully. I wouldn't touch the 1.5 turbo with a very long pole based on my experience with it. I wonder how quiet the hybrid gas engine is under acceleration? Don't like the turbo roar of the 1.5 so I'm looking to avoid turbos altogether.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

maybe they have changed things but Hondas were the most uncomfortable seats I've ridden in in quite some time. I always try to do a fairly lengthy "test drive" having my wife drive and me sitting in the passenger seat. After 10 minutes I knew that the Honda wasn't for us. I suspect it is much like shoes - some work for some feet and others simply do not.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Emilyjane wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:06 pm I like my 2021 CRV hybrid. Usually get 38-41 mpg, except in coldest months in Wisconsin. Back seat is spacious for a small SUV. Ride is OK.
My spouse reports she also gets "about 39 to 40" nowadays for here 2021 CR-V hybrid MPG.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Omg. You are right. It uses 2.0 NA engine. I assumed it used the same engine as regular CRV. As far as I know, 2.0 NA engine is bulletproof. Go with it. My first car was CRV and it has a special place in my heart.
Purdue

Post by Purdue »

cjcerny wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:16 am If most of your trips are short, would look at RAV 4 Prime before pulling the trigger. RAV 4 Prime will do about 40-45 miles on battery only before it switches to its hybrid system.
I'd love to switch to the RAV4 Prime now. Recently emailed the dealership where we bought a hybrid Sienna last year and was told that its a 1-2 year wait with an additional $4,000 "service fee" on top of MSRP. I would buy one now at MSRP if I could.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

cjcerny wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:16 am If most of your trips are short, would look at RAV 4 Prime before pulling the trigger. RAV 4 Prime will do about 40-45 miles on battery only before it switches to its hybrid system.
Unfortunately many buyers these days have to contend with long lead times and big dealer markups. I would love to buy one of these, but it looks like I might have to buy a 2024, the way things are going with the Prime.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Purdue wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:09 pm
I'd love to switch to the RAV4 Prime now. Recently emailed the dealership where we bought a hybrid Sienna last year and was told that its a 1-2 year wait with an additional $4,000 "service fee" on top of MSRP. I would buy one now at MSRP if I could.
Just saw your note after posting mine, Purdue. I am with you on this. :(
nura

Post by nura »

Hyundai and Kia hybrid SUVs have turbo engines
nura

Post by nura »

Unlike RAV-4 hybrid, CRV hybrid does not have a spare tire and slightly smaller cargo compared to non-hybrid version.
Compared RAV4 to CRV4 has a bigger interior and mechanical AWD.
boater07

Post by boater07 »

At what point should you consider the rampant catalytic converter thefts.
Scares me from owning a hybrid
KRP

Post by KRP »

boater07 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:41 pm At what point should you consider the rampant catalytic converter thefts.
Non-hybrids have catalytic converters, so not really related to being a hybrid.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

KRP wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:38 am
boater07 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:41 pm At what point should you consider the rampant catalytic converter thefts.
The problem is worse with hybrids - more of the expensive metals - platinum, rhodium, and palladium - in hybrid converters, to attract thieves.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

nura wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:12 pm
Hyundai and Kia hybrid SUVs have turbo engines
For several reason, it's uncommon for hybrids (with the primary purpose of fuel efficiency) to have boosted ICE engines. For the same set of reasons it is common for hybrids to use an atkinson cycle ICE engine, to maximize efficiency at moderate speeds.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

I owned two Priuses, but I see that the CRV also has a CVT transmission. This is noisy, especially on acceleration. You can't expect the same Mileage figures for an AWD vehicle as a FWD (like the Prius.) Is AWD actually necessary for you, as opposed to an illusion of safety?
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Compared to vehicle theft?
Compared to battery theft?
Compared to safety?
Compared to what list of things?
nura

Post by nura »

crefwatch wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:41 am I owned two Priuses, but I see that the CRV also has a CVT transmission. This is noisy, especially on acceleration. You can't expect the same Mileage figures for an AWD vehicle as a FWD (like the Prius.) Is AWD actually necessary for you, as opposed to an illusion of safety?
Rav4 AWD has only electric motors in the rear without any mechanical AWD linkage, it runs like a front wheel drive unless when rear motors engaged on slippage. I have been getting 42mpg since new.
Base Hit

Post by Base Hit »

The Accord Hybrid is a better vehicle, if that can work for you. No spare in that either, but you can buy a tire kit to retrofit one in the space provided. Hybrids are very efficient and reliable. I estimate my brakes will be good for 75,000 miles due to regenerative braking and oil changes aren't needed for 10,000 miles.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

The CR-V hybrid does not have a turbo.

Also: Consumer Reports rates CR-V above average for reliability, better than the RAV4 (average). I know not everybody agrees with their findings, but it should probably be given more weight than random anecdotes on some internet forum. :happy
KRP

Post by KRP »

CardinalRule wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:44 am
KRP wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:38 am
The problem is worse with hybrids - more of the expensive metals - platinum, rhodium, and palladium - in hybrid converters, to attract thieves.
Interesting. Digging around I ran into this insurance company's claims-driven post: https://www.admiral.com/magazine/news/h ... ter-thefts

Code: Select all

The catalytic converter in hybrid vehicles contains a higher concentration of precious metals and are often less corroded because they mostly run on battery power.

What cars are most likely to have their catalytic converter stolen?

The cars most likely to have their catalytic converter stolen are:

Pre-2015 Honda Jazz (post-2015 models have had their converter moved to under the bonnet, where it’s much safer)
    Toyota Prius
    Toyota Auris 
    Lexus RX
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

2023 CRV info is just out. Looks like some improvements over current vintage, but hybrid will still not have a spare tire since the battery takes up that space. Are there any solutions to this? Do the temp fix aerosol can things work? Only other thing is to rely on roadside emergency service if you have a flat. Not sure how convenient that is these days -- might sit there for a day waiting for help. Anybody have any experience with this?
Journeyman510

Post by Journeyman510 »

I used to have a CRV. The seats were very uncomfortable. Terrible for road trips.