Best examples of rock 'n roll music genre ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BernardShakey

Best examples of rock 'n roll music genre ?

Post by BernardShakey »

I'm trying to educate my kids (in their early 20's) a little bit about true rock 'n roll music....its origin / history, the mix of music types, different styles, etc. I think examples are the best teacher.

What are some of the very best examples of bands / songs that accurately represent the genre and can distinguish it from pop and others?
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
BillyK

Re: Best examples of rock 'n roll music genre ?

Post by BillyK »

Lynyrd Skynyrd, “Free Bird” - Southern Rock
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Your user name says it all... Maybe something from Neil Young's "Weld" album. :)
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

“Every Time You Go Away” is a classic.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Like anything else in life you learn the basics first. Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, it is a huge list. You may even want to take them to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Little Richard, delving deeply into the wellsprings of gospel music and the blues, pounding the piano furiously and screaming as if for his very life, raised the energy level several notches and created something not quite like any music that had been heard before — something new, thrilling and more than a little dangerous. As the rock historian Richie Unterberger put it, “He was crucial in upping the voltage from high-powered R&B into the similar, yet different, guise of rock ’n’ roll.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/09/arts ... ber%201955.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Chuck Berry
Jerry Lee Lewis
Buddy Holly

Many others from the 50s

All of it is a derevative of blues and country from earlier in the century

The Brits took American blues and it exploded in the 60s and beyond
Stones
Cream
Yardbirds/Zeppelin
etc etc

Many forms of Rock too
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

You can search for illustrated trees which attempt to display the evolution of Rock. It is quite complex as this wiki article shows: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rock_genres

From that page I trace rock 'n roll here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll

There is a long paragraph that starts with, "Rock and roll arrived at a time of considerable technological change, soon after the development of the electric guitar, amplifier and microphone, and the 45 rpm record." Most would say it was this artist or that artist, but the true answer is that the technology of gutiar, etc. was the most important part. I would use selections from further down in the paragraph to demonstrate that there is not one song that defines the birth, but that rock itself evolved from other genres. That evolution is what's important, IMO.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

BernardShakey wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:27 am I'm trying to educate my kids (in their early 20's) a little bit about true rock 'n roll music....its origin / history, the mix of music types, different styles, etc. I think examples are the best teacher.

What are some of the very best examples of bands / songs that accurately represent the genre and can distinguish it from pop and others?
One option of a zillion paths to this:

Learn by listening:

Take several "iconic" rock and roll songs and trace them back, listen, from where they started in Blues and R & B (rhythm n blues). . with various influences.

So, for example:
1. "Crossroads" by Robert Johnson (1930) .(AKA "Crossroads Blues) . . then to "Crossroads" by Eric Clapton/Cream, etc. . .

1b. How songs from the Rolling Stones. . . are rooted in basic blues from the past. . . and so forth. Lot's here.
So many many of these early groups, including the Beatles, listened to old blues, and so forth.

2. "Kansas City". . (1952) evolution to various genres. .

3. Hear the basic "12 bar blues" pattern in rock, and so many other genres of music, as the foundational root.

4. Take songs that children, young folk, etc, like, and teach to "hear" the richness and depth of where they came from.

One path of many, many, many. . . .
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Start with what sparked your interest.

Example - as a kid in the 80s I really liked the Beach Boys. I still do, but when I first heard some Nirvana in the 90s I started being interested in grunge. Distorted guitar sounds opened the door for some metal acts, and eventually lead me back to the earlier Led Zeppelin type music.

If someone was never into rock and you played them Smells like Teen Spirit, it might be a bit much out of the gate. For my 3 kids, it's interesting. I've tried to expose them to some Beach Boys. One seems to be just like me, the other is just like her mother and will likely never "get it" in terms of loving music.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

If you introduce them to The Rolling Stones and they don’t like any of it, it is a lost cause.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Shallowpockets wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:18 am If you introduce them to The Rolling Stones and they don’t like any of it, it is a lost cause.
Not always.

Had I been introduced to R&R via the Rolling Stones, I would have had to look elsewhere to learn to love the genre.

For some reason I never got into the Rolling Stones. Still not.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run album is a good one. I grew up on 90's/2000's emo and pop punk and some of those bands I'd recommend would be Brand New, New Found Glory, and Jimmy Eat World.

I'd make sure that you are having them listen to albums with good sound quality first. If it's an old album and the sound quality sucks, they'll probably dismiss it immediately.
Last edited by dsmil on Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:52 am
Shallowpockets wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:18 am If you introduce them to The Rolling Stones and they don’t like any of it, it is a lost cause.
Not always.

Had I been introduced to R&R via the Rolling Stones, I would have had to look elsewhere to learn to love the genre.

Broken Man 1999
:sharebeer I like a few specific songs, but otherwise think the Stones are way overrated.
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

My three favorite bands are:
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
These bands had lots of blues and 50's influences that your kids can research if these three groups appeal to them.
mamster

Post by mamster »

My kid (18) is a big rock fan, but there's something I would keep in mind: To a kid born in the 90s, bands that emerged in the 60s may always sound like the way music from the 30s sounds to us.

I love the Beatles. My kid does not: to them, it sounds like grandma's oldies station. The earliest rock they can handle is mid-period Zeppelin. Also, did your kids ask for recommendations? If not, they're almost no chance they're going to listen to anything you suggest.

If they did, I would consider suggesting starting with somewhat more contemporary bands like the White Stripes, Pearl Jam, Green Day, or the Black Keys—although some of those are already veering toward oldies, too!
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Rolling Stone did a 500 Greatest Rock Songs list, which, while you could argue specifics, would be a good start:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... e-1224767/
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Sirius XM Classic Rock channels.

Just play it while in the car...or anywhere else.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

Let them be.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:52 am
Not always.

Broken Man 1999
+100
Stones? STONES? 🤮
The Who, my friend, is the epitome of rock.
Much better live, better songwriting, greatest rhythm section ever.

OP: Who’s Next (1971)
Live at Leeds (1970)
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

Maybe turn them onto a reactor channel on YouTube like this: https://youtube.com/channel/UCkk4Wcd520RRs5AFFCDncRg
Topic Author
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

mamster wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:08 pm My kid (18) is a big rock fan, but there's something I would keep in mind: To a kid born in the 90s, bands that emerged in the 60s may always sound like the way music from the 30s sounds to us.

I love the Beatles. My kid does not: to them, it sounds like grandma's oldies station. The earliest rock they can handle is mid-period Zeppelin. Also, did your kids ask for recommendations? If not, they're almost no chance they're going to listen to anything you suggest.

If they did, I would consider suggesting starting with somewhat more contemporary bands like the White Stripes, Pearl Jam, Green Day, or the Black Keys—although some of those are already veering toward oldies, too!
Yes, the kids have asked -- as it turns out this generation is more interested in music of the 60's and 70's than most of us might think.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Bob Dylan has influenced more rock bands and songwriters than anyone else in the genre. The number of great songs that he has written that are great numbers over a hundred. Plus his actual singing has also been a strong influence on a lot of rock and roll singers.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Topic Author
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

Californiastate wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:37 pm Let them be.
They asked why I like it and whether the Beatles are true rock 'n roll. And so I'm trying to respond to them.
Topic Author
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

Target2019 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:20 am You can search for illustrated trees which attempt to display the evolution of Rock. It is quite complex as this wiki article shows: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rock_genres

From that page I trace rock 'n roll here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll

There is a long paragraph that starts with, "Rock and roll arrived at a time of considerable technological change, soon after the development of the electric guitar, amplifier and microphone, and the 45 rpm record." Most would say it was this artist or that artist, but the true answer is that the technology of gutiar, etc. was the most important part. I would use selections from further down in the paragraph to demonstrate that there is not one song that defines the birth, but that rock itself evolved from other genres. That evolution is what's important, IMO.
I like your technology take....not sure anyone else on this thread noted it. I think you're right on. Technology advancement explains why a lot of things become popular if you think about. Thanks.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:06 am

Take several "iconic" rock and roll songs and trace them back, listen, from where they started in Blues and R & B (rhythm n blues). . with various influences.

So, for example:
1. "Crossroads" by Robert Johnson (1930) .(AKA "Crossroads Blues) . . then to "Crossroads" by Eric Clapton/Cream, etc. . .

One path of many, many, many. . . .
j :D
definitely this (not a Stones fan however...)

listen to Johnson-era Blues and you can hear the sounds, chords, picking and emotion that would later become what we know as rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd60nI4sa9A

everything from AC/DC to Zeppelin to Clapton, Skynyrd, Elvis, etc started there.

interesting video on Johnson -- and some rock n roll / devil mythology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Ury06WEco

good stuff -- kids gotta understand 'real music'... :beer

--------------------------------------
deikel

Post by deikel »

BernardShakey wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:23 pm
Target2019 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:20 am You can search for illustrated trees which attempt to display the evolution of Rock. It is quite complex as this wiki article shows: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rock_genres

I like your technology take....not sure anyone else on this thread noted it. I think you're right on. Technology advancement explains why a lot of things become popular if you think about. Thanks.
+1

Here is a fun evolution tree of music:

https://www.concerthotels.com/100-years-of-rock/

Tyring to box things up and define them to contrast with what was ..... its as old as music (or other art forms)
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

BernardShakey wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:27 am I'm trying to educate my kids (in their early 20's) a little bit about true rock 'n roll music....its origin / history, the mix of music types, different styles, etc. I think examples are the best teacher.

In their early 20's?

I agree with "Let them be." It should be child's play in this day and age for them to follow their own interests (by listening and/or reading) to figure out whatever they are curious about.
Topic Author
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:46 pm

In their early 20's?

I agree with "Let them be." It should be child's play in this day and age for them to follow their own interests (by listening and/or reading) to figure out whatever they are curious about.
The kids asked why I like it and whether the Beatles are true rock 'n roll (they like the Beatles). And so I'm trying to respond to them. That generation listens to some 60's and 70's music --- at least more than I thought they did.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

BernardShakey wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:50 pm

In their early 20's?

The kids asked why I like it and whether the Beatles are true rock 'n roll (they like the Beatles). And so I'm trying to respond to them. That generation listens to some 60's and 70's music --- at least more than I thought they did.
Yes, they do. DS is in that age group. He was exposed (against his will) to that genre when we played it, but he quickly went in a different musical direction--much to my disappointment. But in casual conversations and on trivia gamenights at family get togethers, he always surprises me with how much he knows about early rock and roll. I don't know when or where he learned it, but he did. I still can't catch him listening to it though :annoyed
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

The Blues had a baby and they called it Rock 'n Roll.

You might want to include the Blues (and maybe a little Gospel ADDED and R&B) .

Before there was Elvis or the Rolling Stones - there was the Blues (and Gospel and R&B).

In no particular order:
Bessie Smith
Robert Johnson
Ray Charles
John Lee Hooker
Albert King
B.B. King
Muddy Waters
Etta James
Koko Taylor
Buddy Guy
Bonnie Raitt plays a mean slide guitar.

Rent the movie The Blues Brothers (star wars is all the rage right now - Carrie Fisher is in this movie :) )
and then delve into the artists featured in the movie...

FWIW: I didn't like the Rolling Stones when I was younger (the late 70's early 80's) and I still don't - but I get it now I hear what they lifted from the past or how they incorporated shifts in musically tastes on their later albums. Still don't really like them. If I have to listen to them - I choose their early music - when they were a "cover band". ;)

You might also want to dip your toes into 60's "folk" music... I have a love/hate relationship with Bob Dylan (maybe Joan Baez) but he should be on the list of artists when studying "Rock n Roll".

And let's not forget Janis Joplin The girls can do Rock N Roll too... you know...

(FWIW: I generally prefer electronic dance/house/hip hop but I get easily bored so I listen to all sorts of music... and have favorites across many genres and decades of music.
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

BernardShakey wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:50 pm

In their early 20's?

My kids are 10 and 7, 60's and 70's rock is without a doubt their favorite genre and it is far from all wife and listen to. My wife would struggle to name 10 bands from that era. We recently went to a karaoke night and my kids sang "The Immigrant Song" and "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)". My youngest sister (18) is also a huge fan.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

20'S? Should have started from birth..lol My 28 year old knows more about classic rock than I do, and I thought I was well versed.

The Who
Stones
Kinks
Led Zep
AC/DC
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

Maybe my taste is just weird, but a couple of my favorites were Boston 'More than a Feeling' (also liked 'Foreplay') and Fleetwood Mac's 'Go Your Own Way' (both 1970's). Also was a fan of 'Blue Oyster Cult' and Warren Zevon.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Looks like I have been dissed on my Rolling Stones post.
So, OP, take another approach.
When I was was young, my father used to play Sinatra, Benny Goodman, etc, and all the Rogers and Hammerstein musical scores. To this day I can appreciate that music.
And that may be the answer to OP. Play your own music and if the kids want to listen, they can. Mix it up, since R and R is so broad. Play what you want and they will absorb it or not.
Once their interest is kindled they may ask for more or your opinion on other songs.Then again maybe they won’t be interested.
Play it on your TV on YouTube. Nice to actually see bands you never really saw back in the day, or maybe at a concert you were in a big mass crowd and too stoned anyway to remember the concert. And, if you are in a weed legal state, you can really bring back your past.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Elvis Presley was know as the king of Rock and Roll, but the music was around long before Elvis. It originated from black American music and had elements of jazz, rhythm and blues, boogie woogie, gospel, and country music. Bill Haley recorded "Rock Around The Clock" in 1954.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSzdn8ipyws
In 1952 Willie Mae Thornton, known as Big Mama Thornton recorded, "Hound Dog".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxoGvBQtjpM
Elvis recorded it in 1956. A lot of Elvis's music came from black musicians in the south, especially around Memphis, Tennessee.

Some of the early Rock and Roll artists were Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Sonny Burgess, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly, and Bill Haley and the Comets.

Rockabilly also known as hillbilly rock was an early style of of Rock and Roll.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlQxoM3p9IA

BOB LUMAN and The Shadows - This Is The Night - 1957
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9XOFRRosLE
Last edited by Abe on Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slow and steady wins the race.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Instead of just trying specific songs, you could try a comprehensive history. My wife and I have been listening to a podcast, now in its 4th year that is trying to look at the history of Rock music in 500 songs with probably another 1,000 name checked! The podcasts are nerdy, but the playlists he creates are a pretty amazing historical anthology of the greatest music. Be warned he starts in 1938!

It has completely re-written my understanding of the roots and influences on the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Beach Boys, Elvis, Soul music as a starting point.

The podcast is called A History of Rock Music in 500 songs.
diabelli

Post by diabelli »

The shockingly consistently good four Rolling Stones albums from the same short era:

Exile on Main St
Sticky Fingers
Let it Bleed
Beggars Banquet

These to me exemplify rock and roll, without a trace of pop music to be found in them. Just pure, gritty, blues inspired music with incredibly complex and raunchy rhythm guitars, horns, keyboard, all overlapping as if through an audible screen of 60s smoke
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Many credit Bill Haley and the Comets with the first RR song, Rock Around the Clock. It is clear that the history represents an infusion of Blues, African-American music, and there was some complaint that white musicians had appropriated it. Musicians such as Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, James Brown are among those who are associated with RR from the beginning. Of course, Elvis was huge. If you want to educate your children and have a chance, go to Sun Records in Memphis. It has it all, and Memphis is at the center of the beginning of RR. Memphis regrets not capitalizing on that and that the RR Hall of Fame is located in Ohio, of all places.

Tim
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Nowizard wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:37 pm Many credit Bill Haley and the Comets with the first RR song, Rock Around the Clock. It is clear that the history represents an infusion of Blues, African-American music, and there was some complaint that white musicians had appropriated it. Musicians such as Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, James Brown are among those who are associated with RR from the beginning. Of course, Elvis was huge. If you want to educate your children and have a chance, go to Sun Records in Memphis. It has it all, and Memphis is at the center of the beginning of RR. Memphis regrets not capitalizing on that and that the RR Hall of Fame is located in Ohio, of all places.

Tim
Cleveland is a legit place for it to be. I admit to being biased as I was born and raised there but it has a lot of historical claims.

As for OP, although they would never claim to be RnR, I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you to have your kids also listen to Radiohead. One of the greatest bands since 1992 and many publications have them at the top of their lists. Again, I am biased because they're my favorite band. You also always must have Springsteen on the list, absolutely must. IMO listen to all of the live boxset to get the full experience or the Hammersmith 75 show.
Calhoon

Post by Calhoon »

diabelli --

Goathead Soup belongs in that rolling stones run you were talking about. These guys were on fire in that stretch.
diabelli

Post by diabelli »

Calhoon wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:59 pm diabelli --

Goathead Soup belongs in that rolling stones run you were talking about. These guys were on fire in that stretch.
OK fair enough, you're right. 100 years ago and Dancing with Mr. D... clearly the same run.
Topic Author
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

retiringwhen wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:03 pm Instead of just trying specific songs, you could try a comprehensive history. My wife and I have been listening to a podcast, now in its 4th year that is trying to look at the history of Rock music in 500 songs with probably another 1,000 name checked! The podcasts are nerdy, but the playlists he creates are a pretty amazing historical anthology of the greatest music. Be warned he starts in 1938!

It has completely re-written my understanding of the roots and influences on the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Beach Boys, Elvis, Soul music as a starting point.

The podcast is called A History of Rock Music in 500 songs.
Great recommendation! Thanks.
Topic Author
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

diabelli wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:08 pm The shockingly consistently good four Rolling Stones albums from the same short era:

Exile on Main St
Sticky Fingers
Let it Bleed
Beggars Banquet

These to me exemplify rock and roll, without a trace of pop music to be found in them. Just pure, gritty, blues inspired music with incredibly complex and raunchy rhythm guitars, horns, keyboard, all overlapping as if through an audible screen of 60s smoke
OP here. Yeah, I view the Stones as a key artifact when looking at the history of rock 'n roll. Without question.
mbasherp

Post by mbasherp »

A friend once convinced me that the greatest single song to play for someone who asks what rock n roll is would be “Rock and Roll” by Led Zeppelin.

I remain convinced. It has every single trademark of the genre and stands the test of time.

Post by 123 »

BernardShakey wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:27 am I'm trying to educate my kids (in their early 20's) a little bit about true rock 'n roll music....
The chances of them being receptive enough to develop an appreciation of your music are as likely as you developing an appreciation for theirs...

We are all products of the culture and environment we grew up in.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Perhaps you should include the first rock and roll song ever, "Rocket 88" by Ike Turner in 1951, credited to Jackie Brenston.

Also include Beatles BBC recordings. Listening to them switch from rockabilly, Little Richard, and then Hard Days Night tells you how they revolutionized music.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

LOL, the notion of "true rock" makes me think of Manowar singing about "true metal". I assume by "true", you mean traditional/early rock n' roll from like the 50s. "Rock" as it's used today is a huge umbrella term that encapsulates many styles of music that have very little to do with each other compositionally or sonically, other than just sharing common instruments.

For a much more modern example with contemporary pop sensibilities while still incorporating a lot of classic rock n' roll elements, you could do a whole lot worse than Maroon 5, particularly their first two albums. A lot of people might scoff at that suggestion, particularly as they have developed more of a post-2010 electronic pop sound over the years, but songs like "Makes Me Wonder" and "This Love" blend a lot of the elements that went into earlier rock from blues and jazz, along with the electronic dance stuff.

The Black Crowes have some fairly classic rock songs with a hint of Southern style. "Twice as Hard" and "Hard to Handle" come to mind as being pretty standard rock fair.

I wonder what exactly OP's objective is. If it's to teach music history, not much thought needs to be paid to whether the kids will enjoy the music. If it's to convert them to rock fans, I would abandon labels like "true rock" and give them a wider taste of (sub)genres. There's so much different rock music out there, I think it's fair to say there's at least one rock song for everybody's taste. I've listened to everything from Avril Lavigne to Pantera at various stages of my life, and there are songs I love and songs I loathe all along every spectrum.

A random personal favorite of mine just to throw it out there would be "Apex" by Unleash the Archers.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

diabelli wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:08 pm The shockingly consistently good four Rolling Stones albums from the same short era:

Exile on Main St
Sticky Fingers
Let it Bleed
Beggars Banquet

I see your four and raise you:
The Who Sell Out
Tommy
Live at Leeds
Who’s Next

Spectacular concepts, superb songwriting, impeccable craftsmanship on the instruments, enduring anthems.
Oh, and for good measure, they wiped the Stones at their own circus.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RJv2-_--EY4