Any Boglehead musicians out there?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Re: Any Boglehead musicians out there?

Post by Jazztonight »

CenTexan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:46 pm
Franklin wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:43 pm Where are all the drummers!! :happy
Out behind the shed drinking beer!
You're not far from wrong. I had one drummer show up for a gig in his tuxedo and pushing a cart with his gear. While he played he sat on a cooler filled 6-packs of beer. I told him the musicians do not drink on the gig, and he was terribly disappointed. Turned out he had a reputation for doing so, and I never hired him again. Sigh.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

I can relate to that story and I am sure many others can as well because of the audience will spare the group, in my case it was always the bass player. :D
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

GibsonL6s wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:04 pm I can relate to that story and I am sure many others can as well because of the audience will spare the group, in my case it was always the bass player.

I am still in touch with my old band mates and in 2009 we had a brief re-union. The funny story we always tell is one year we played the local county fair. As we were setting up, we saw the list of all the performers on that stage that day. We were playing before Timo the Clown. So our long standing joke was our biggest gig was opening for Timo the clown. 30 years later our bass player found Timo on facebook and messaged him the story and it made his day.

I am sure many people have great stories of playing music, which needs to become once again a big part of education.
mamster

Post by mamster »

By the way, GibsonL6s, my dad is a jazz guitarist, and he played an L6-S as his main instrument for most of his career.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Jazztonight wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:48 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:55 pm When are we having The Bogleheads Recitals?

Actually, some groups, like orchestras, were able to use specialized software/hardware and perform "together", each from their own home or studio. Each appeared in a separate little box on the screen. That was quite a surprise.

To retain the anonymity, we could be "The Masked Bogleheads Musicians". :D
My experience (and understanding) is that if you're not in the same physical location there's a time lag and you can't play simultaneously. Thus, the little boxes with people listening to previously recorded tracks and playing their parts.

And who would arrange for the wide variety of Boglehead instruments and musical styles? (Not I!)
First of all, playing together online does not work because the internet does not multiplex audio. If multiple people try to talk at the same time on Zoom, you might hear 1 person, you might hear garbled bits from several people, or you might hear nothing. Playing music is even worse because music has sustained tones. Zoom [and other meeting software] thinks those sustained tones are echoes and filters them out. Not good for music. There is a Zoom feature/button called "original sound" to suppress that filtering, but it means only 1 person can play [be unmuted]. If someone has original sound on and someone else talks, everyone else will hear continual echoes. It is very annoying.

There is some software, e.g. JamKazam, Jamulus, that DOES multiplex audio. This is the when the time lag is critical. If the time lag is more than 30 msec, the musicians cannot stay together enough to sound ok. In general, less than 30 msec means 2-4 players, fast ethernet connections (no wi-fi), and <50 mile geographical radius.

Those orchestra performances that ResearchMed alludes to are pre-recorded as Jazztonight indicates. Typically, someone records a base track [could be a click track for tempo, melody line, etc.] that everyone else listens to while recording their individual part. All of those individual recordings are then post-processed into 1 recording. Depending on computing power and number of participants, it takes days to generate the rendered video. It is fun for the audience, but not much fun for the musicians. And it doesn't feel like playing together. Because they are not.

The good news is that groups are playing together again.
Mister Whale

Post by Mister Whale »

Electric bass: 5- and 6-string, fretted and fretless. Been playing for 30 years, with 7 years off (begun by burnout, extended after the birth of my son). One of the best things ever to happen to the benefit of my playing was Covid; with no gigs, I found a teacher and focused solely on development for over a year. I'm still taking online lessons with my teacher, but the gigs are back to being a "distraction."

The instruments and gear that I've acquired as a musician (and as a sound technician) point to behavior characteristics that have yet to successfully adapt to the Boglehead "way," to put it lightly. :beer
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius
Johny Fever

Post by Johny Fever »

My wife is the talent in our family. She has played piano and sang in about ever piano bar we ever go to...LOL. She has played all her life and she can play about anything with anybody. Classical training as a child but then went off to the other side of the tracks so to speak. She has a blast and the kids and grandkids love it. My talent is moving pianos...thats it. Nothing better than live music to make the world a little brighter place to be in.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Jazztonight wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:48 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:55 pm When are we having The Bogleheads Recitals?

Actually, some groups, like orchestras, were able to use specialized software/hardware and perform "together", each from their own home or studio. Each appeared in a separate little box on the screen. That was quite a surprise.

To retain the anonymity, we could be "The Masked Bogleheads Musicians". :D
My experience (and understanding) is that if you're not in the same physical location there's a time lag and you can't play simultaneously. Thus, the little boxes with people listening to previously recorded tracks and playing their parts.

And who would arrange for the wide variety of Boglehead instruments and musical styles? (Not I!)

It requires hardwire (not wifi) and some other specialized equipment.
We got that (lower cost version, but the same equipment) for our opera lessons. It wasn't just the quality of our voice over Zoom, although that quality certainly wasn't ideal from a teaching/coaching perspective. It was that lag... We couldn't have accompaniment that really matched. While we were still using Zoom, our instructor (not the actual accompanist) would play without stopping unless we signaled, and we could sing "with him". But he couldn't hear us at the right time, and that was more for our enjoyment than for any actual teaching.

With the better equipment, and no wifi, it works. :happy
I'm forgetting the name of the equipment we had to set up here, in addition to bypassing our wifi with an Ethernet cable now snaking across the house.

Added later:

doobiedoo: You state that it can't be done on the Internet, and then that with software it can be. :confused

I can't speak for anyone else or those groups, but I can speak for our experience, as described above.
We can play with our pianist or with our instructor (who does semi-accompaniment). I don't know the name of the software, or the equipment, but one thing you and I/we agree on is that it does NOT work well on Zoom. :annoyed

What you are describing seems to match what we are doing, and also some groups at our major Conservatory. They were indeed all local, but couldn't be "in person" due to Covid. Later, some individuals or groups showed up in person, while others "stayed home". Needless to say, vocalists can't use masks, nor can some others, such as woodwinds. (My understanding is it can now be considerably further than 50 miles, but I am NOT sure of that; it doesn't apply to us, but does apply to our instructor and the Conservatory as a whole.)
We haven't yet performed for others, so we were never one of those groups. But we *do* work with accompanist in real time. The difference with that and something like Zoom makes Zoom seem useless. And it is, for that type of purpose. Whether we are using anything special from the Conservatory (software??), I don't know. The physical equipment we purchased was from a choice of 3 recommendations the Conservatory recommended, shortly after it became clear the the pandemic wasn't a very short term interruption.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
kinless

Post by kinless »

I feel super fortunate that mom started me on the piano in 1981 at 3½ years old (and found a teacher willing to give me a chance at such an age). Trained classically between 3 different teachers until I was 16. During high school/college years, got into jazz band, worship, and musical theater, at least until I was low on money and had to get a "real" job lol. I still play in a worship band (keyboard), lead traditional services on the piano and also hire myself out for various professional music gigs. It's become quite the handy financial supplement to my web development career.

Another advantage starting so young is acquiring perfect pitch, which I didn't even realize until my 2nd teacher tested me. Used it to my advantage for music transcriptions via MIDI files and being able to switch to playing by ear instead of reading. Unfortunately it has started to drift a half-step sharp in my older age ("A" now sounds like "Bb" to me on a cold read) which I guess is a common deficit for aged perfect-pitchers, but really frustrating not having pinpoint accuracy like I used to. But I also stopped transcribing a long time ago after filling up life with other things, so I guess an even trade.

I have my grandfather's tenor and alto saxophones from his days playing in 1940s big bands, and also recently acquired a banjo (for the southerner in me who loves bluegrass). If I'm super bored someday I'll try my hand on those, but piano will always be homebase to me.
Last edited by kinless on Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cranberry44

Post by Cranberry44 »

kinless wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:19 pm
I have my grandfather's tenor and alto saxophones from his days playing in 1940s big bands
What make and model?!
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

kinless wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:19 pm I feel super fortunate that mom started me on the piano in 1981 at 3½ years old (and found a teacher willing to give me a chance at such an age).
...I have my grandfather's tenor and alto saxophones from his days playing in 1940s big bands, and also recently acquired a banjo (for the southerner in me who loves bluegrass). If I'm super bored someday I'll try my hand on those, but piano will always be homebase to me.
What a great story. I know what it was like transitioning from piano to wind instruments. You'll enjoy it!
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

So I did acquire a cheap Amazon cello to try for fun about two or three years ago but I only lasted about two weeks. It looks really nice as an ornament, though. You can’t tell how cheap it is until you get close. I realized that my time was better spent focusing on the violin.

As a career engineer very late to music, I must say that that I derive a sense of…I don’t know… satisfaction?… even when I’m not playing but simply knowing that I can.

If you’ve never played an instrument before it can seem pretty mysterious and remarkable that gibberish on paper can be turned into music. Learning to read music and play my violin has given me access to something I didn’t think I could do.

May be hard to explain to lifelong musicians…
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

Also an engineer-cum-musician :mrgreen:

I play electric guitar, occasional acoustic, occasional bass, and through the magic of MIDI overdubbing, some occasional simple keyboard lines. I record with a bunch of other guys from the US and UK/Europe. We all record our individual parts and upload them to Dropbox for eventual mix/mastering.

I've recently gotten back into classical guitar, after contacting my instructor from college some 30-some years ago to remind me of the title and composer for a certain etude he had me learn those decades passed. Luckily he still checks his .edu email, and after I sent him a clip of the first few measures I've been playing for years, he replied an hour later: "Etude 1" from a book of etudes by Leo Brouwer.

Heh, looks like I need to do some fresh sandpapering on those picking fingers :happy

I'll probably try and work in more steel string acoustic playing, as I recently impulse-purchased a Martin SC10 on a factory tour.

I wouldn't consider myself a pro, but I do get the odd $20 payment from CDBaby for streaming revenue for things I've done over the years. So I guess I'm a tick over amateur. Maybe. :beer
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai
hfj

Post by hfj »

I started piano lessons in elementary school on a really terrible spinet. Didn't like it that much, barely practiced, but stuck with it until high school when I convinced my parents after freshman year that I needed the time to focus on academics. Ironically, that's when I became friends with some really talented pianists, and actually started picking out music to learn on my own. When I went to college I joined a fraternity which had an old Steinway; that was first time I lived with a grand piano and played a lot on it. Then I took a couple of music history classes that really sparked something; my classical CD collection grew exponentially; Boston area folks might remember the heyday of Tower Records and Newbury Comics.

After college, for a few years I lived in places that didn't have room for a piano, had kids, worked a lot etc. Then we moved to a larger place, and we added a Kawai KG-2S and I started playing again a little. My daughters picked up flute/violin, and I'd sometimes have accompanist duties (that took a lot of practice). Now we're empty nesters, I don't have to be conscious about disturbing them, and I find myself playing a half to and hour a day working on a few pieces at a time. Un-frugally, sometimes I think about upgrading to a larger/newer/higher end piano, but I don't know if I'll pull the trigger. There's a lot I'd like to get better at, including learning some solo jazz piano, and as I'm slowly winding down my career, the piano feels like it's becoming a bigger part of my life.
dlm2827

Post by dlm2827 »

Where are you located? Trumpet player and baritone singer here, Columbus NE.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Sax here....tenor and soprano.

I started when I was 55 and I can't tell you how much it has enriched my life. I say that as inspiration for those who think they are too old to start. You are not.

I would probably play in a band but my lifestyle is too fluid to commit in one location, so I play mainly jam sessions (there are many opportunities where I live), as well as in a Latin ensemble, and every summer I do an absolutely wonderful two week jazz workshop in a 1000 year old chateau in the south of France. I was also playing in a jazz ensemble in NYC with the New York Jazz Workshop before COVID.

If anybody musicians here live in either Western MA or the St Pete, FL area and are looking for people to play with, let me know.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:56 pm

We often heard comments from club patrons that they really liked our music, but we really needed to add a sax (they were big back in the 60s). However, once the Beattles came along with two guitars, bass and drums, we were in demand. Only problem was, we spent lots of time trying to figure out which chords they were using, since three chords no longer worked for their music.

That's really funny, Mel. Reminds me of that old joke:
What is the difference between a rock band and a jazz band?
A rock band plays three chords to an audience of thousands.
A jazz band plays a thousand chords to an audience of three.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

protagonist wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:55 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:56 pm

We often heard comments from club patrons that they really liked our music, but we really needed to add a sax (they were big back in the 60s). However, once the Beattles came along with two guitars, bass and drums, we were in demand. Only problem was, we spent lots of time trying to figure out which chords they were using, since three chords no longer worked for their music.

That's really funny, Mel. Reminds me of that old joke:
What is the difference between a rock band and a jazz band?
A rock band plays three chords to an audience of thousands.
A jazz band plays a thousand chords to an audience of three.
Love it!!!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
mbasherp

Post by mbasherp »

:beer

Touring/recording musician and musical director with various acts here. It’s not an easy road, but somebody has to do it! I was one-track-minded since roughly age 13, got the performance degree (BM) from an elite school and just didn’t stop. Played weddings and private events, signed record deals, slept in vans, rode private jets and everything in between. Now I cling to financial websites like my life depends on it because we sure aren’t high earning our way to retirement - but I don’t regret it.

Cheers to you all who keep the fire burning in your chosen way.
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

mamster wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:57 pm By the way, GibsonL6s, my dad is a jazz guitarist, and he played an L6-S as his main instrument for most of his career.
This is the guitar I own. I thought the jazz players played the L5 which is an absolutely beautiful instrument

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gibs ... _Front.jpg
mamster

Post by mamster »

GibsonL6s wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:32 pm This is the guitar I own. I thought the jazz players played the L5 which is an absolutely beautiful instrument
That's exactly the one—so nostalgic to see. Despite the "jazz box" term, a lot of jazz players aren't interested in archtops and just want something that will play extremely clean without the risk of feedback. Although now that he plays exclusively at home, I think he did end up buying an expensive archtop from a boutique maker!
fposte

Post by fposte »

investingdad wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:58 pm As a career engineer very late to music, I must say that that I derive a sense of…I don’t know… satisfaction?… even when I’m not playing but simply knowing that I can.

If you’ve never played an instrument before it can seem pretty mysterious and remarkable that gibberish on paper can be turned into music. Learning to read music and play my violin has given me access to something I didn’t think I could do.

May be hard to explain to lifelong musicians…
I get that, though, and I’m a humanities person. There’s a problem-solving element that I love, and it’s very satisfying to feel myself mounting the learning curve. Plus I find it intriguing to think, when I’m struggling with some piece, that some kid with whom I share no spoken language was plugging away at the same music almost half a millennium ago.
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

mbasherp wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:18 pm :beer

Touring/recording musician and musical director with various acts here. It’s not an easy road, but somebody has to do it!
...Now I cling to financial websites like my life depends on it because we sure aren’t high earning our way to retirement - but I don’t regret it. Cheers to you all who keep the fire burning in your chosen way.
Your path was set early in life, and I'm glad you embrace it instead of regret it!
Do you still get a chance to play? What are your instruments?
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

GibsonL6s wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:32 pm
mamster wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:57 pm By the way, GibsonL6s, my dad is a jazz guitarist, and he played an L6-S as his main instrument for most of his career.
This is the guitar I own. I thought the jazz players played the L5 which is an absolutely beautiful instrument:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gibs ... _Front.jpg
What a gorgeous instrument!
When I was a kid on Long Island, I'd go to the Sam Ash store and ask to play a blonde L5 every weekend. I always thought I sounded better, but who knows?
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

Boston guy here - I played in a local rock band in my teens - Mother Zamcheck's Bacon Band. I ate, breathed and slept music back then. Even went to BU School of Fine Arts for classical piano for a couple of years, but didn't like that program very much.

I will modestly say that my teenage band was quite good, and had a lot of gigs around Boston. We were sort of a jazz rock band, analogous to Steely Dan (a bit). I stopped playing for the most part in my early 20s, but resumed in my mid-50s. Was like getting back on a bicycle, I hadn't forgotten.

Recently, after retiring in 2016, I played in a cover band around Boston. Covid derailed that, and we haven't resumed. However, I've been studying jazz guitar for the last couple of years.

Not sure I'll ever get the hang of jazz guitar - think I started too late for that, but rock and blues are still my loves.

Anyone around Boston want to get together and play? Had no idea there were so many musicians on Bogleheads!

Small Law

(Proof of quality: attended Woodstock)
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:49 am Boston guy here - I played in a local rock band in my teens - Mother Zamcheck's Bacon Band. I ate, breathed and slept music back then... I stopped playing for the most part in my early 20s, but resumed in my mid-50s. Was like getting back on a bicycle, I hadn't forgotten.

...I've been studying jazz guitar for the last couple of years. Not sure I'll ever get the hang of jazz guitar - think I started too late for that, but rock and blues are still my loves.
I lived in Boston in the 1960s and went to BU (not music). Heard Kenny Burrell at Lennie's on the Turnpike, great jazz guitar.

Personally, I don't believe it's too late for you--an hour a day will give you jazz chops in a year or two (my own teacher teaches jazz at a university. PM me if you'd like to discuss). Whatever you choose to do, playing is the important thing!
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

This is a little different angle, but I sing choral music and particularly barbershop. I have no music education, but I can read music and took piano as a kid.

Also am an avid ballroom dancer, but that's a subject for another day. Supposed to be good Alzheimer's prevention.

I have really learned a ton about music theory just trying to keep up with the barbershop chorus. It's been very helpful. I still have lots of questions about it, ha ha.
This time is the same
mbasherp

Post by mbasherp »

Jazztonight wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:08 am

Touring/recording musician and musical director with various acts here. It’s not an easy road, but somebody has to do it!
...Now I cling to financial websites like my life depends on it because we sure aren’t high earning our way to retirement - but I don’t regret it. Cheers to you all who keep the fire burning in your chosen way.
Your path was set early in life, and I'm glad you embrace it instead of regret it!
Definitely - I’m still mid-career, on a bus or plane (or both) every week. Always been a drummer except for the mandatory voice and piano in music school.

In full transparency, I’ve leveraged my experience into another career field as well and now have two going simultaneously. But the answer to “what do you do for a living” has always been the same.

I’ve gotten a bit snippy on here and other forums at times with folks who think the only reason to pursue financial independence is to quit one’s job as soon as possible. I pursue it to ensure that I can always keep doing what I feel called to do.
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

firebirdparts wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:53 am This is a little different angle, but I sing choral music and particularly barbershop. I have no music education, but I can read music and took piano as a kid.

...I have really learned a ton about music theory just trying to keep up with the barbershop chorus. It's been very helpful. I still have lots of questions about it, ha ha.
It's funny, not everyone includes singers in with instrumental players, but we're all musicians! (Some of the best musicians I know are singers.)

You didn't mention which part you sing in the barbershop group. You say you have no music education but can read music? Ha! You probably have more music education than 98% of the world population.
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

mbasherp wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:10 pm
Jazztonight wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:08 am

Definitely - I’m still mid-career, on a bus or plane (or both) every week. Always been a drummer except for the mandatory voice and piano in music school.

In full transparency, I’ve leveraged my experience into another career field as well and now have two going simultaneously. But the answer to “what do you do for a living” has always been the same.

I’ve gotten a bit snippy on here and other forums at times with folks who think the only reason to pursue financial independence is to quit one’s job as soon as possible. I pursue it to ensure that I can always keep doing what I feel called to do.
Sounds to me like you have your head on right! Keep doing what you're doing, and when it's time to further pursue your music, I know you will.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I picked up guitar about 20 years ago (age 46). Enjoyed it but not very skilled. Always wanted to learn to read music. Found that stacked notes (chords) were difficult to learn and used tabs.

Also had a keyboard (2 years ago) and an electric bass. Fooled around with both.

this winter I resumed the bass (reading music) and found it much easier to learn than chords. I practice about 30 minutes a day and set up the metronome to keep time. Getting better, but the bar was set very low! I will probably never be very good at any music instrument, but learning about music helps with the appreciation.

About time to head to the basement to thump on the bass.

Ed
fatima526

Post by fatima526 »

Thanks for starting this thread!

Grade / High school: Drum set lessons and guitar lessons. Played drums in garage bands. Switched to bass guitar (more opportunities to play). Knowing the basics of what a drummer does REALLY helps be a better bassist in an ensemble, as there is much interplay between drums and bass so the music grooves.

Post high school: I earned a Bachelor of Music degree, focusing on jazz composition and arranging, and bass guitar performance.

I went on to a career outside of music, but always played bass in bands nights / weekends at events, weddings, restaurants, etc. "Side hustle"

Also do a fair amount of composition and sound design, writing and playing / sequencing all the drums, bass, keys, synths, guitar, samples, etc. Mainly in the Apple Logic and Native Instruments ecosystems. This is for my own enjoyment / learning, but have shared some things on social media.

With the pandemic, seem to be in a cycle of: warmer months = outdoor gigs, and colder months = at home w/ composition, sound design and lately, transcribing jazz chord progressions and solos.

After retirement from my main career, I plan to add some daily music skill enhancement, whether its bass, singing, transcriptions, composition, take courses, collaborate with other musicians on a project, go back thru my notes from college, etc. I don’t have a desire to learn another instrument, would rather compose / arrange / produce. I will continue to study, create and play music as long as physically able, and it’s enjoyable. It definitely keeps me young, connected with people, and hopefully the amount of brain power needed to do all this will help slow cognitive decline.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Mister Whale wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:37 pm Electric bass: 5- and 6-string, fretted and fretless. Been playing for 30 years, with 7 years off (begun by burnout, extended after the birth of my son). One of the best things ever to happen to the benefit of my playing was Covid; with no gigs, I found a teacher and focused solely on development for over a year. I'm still taking online lessons with my teacher, but the gigs are back to being a "distraction."

The instruments and gear that I've acquired as a musician (and as a sound technician) point to behavior characteristics that have yet to successfully adapt to the Boglehead "way," to put it lightly. :beer
Bass players rock!!

Much of Hawaiian and Island music is anchored with a bass player. No drums.

Good bass players make it look easy.
Tain't so.

Aloha
j mango🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

MP173 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:48 pm I picked up guitar about 20 years ago (age 46). Enjoyed it but not very skilled...
About time to head to the basement to thump on the bass.
Ed
A lot of people think the guitar is an easily accessible instrument--a few chords and you're out the door!
But no. It's a beautiful but complex instrument, and not for everyone.

I'm glad you're playing the electric bass. The world can always use a bass player! Keep up the good work. Do you use backing tracks or play-along music?
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

fatima526 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:28 pm Thanks for starting this thread!
You're welcome! It's great to meet all the Boglehead musicians.
...Knowing the basics of what a drummer does REALLY helps be a better bassist in an ensemble.
Amen to that!
I earned a Bachelor of Music degree, focusing on jazz composition and arranging, and bass guitar performance. I went on to a career outside of music, but always played bass in bands nights / weekends at events, weddings, restaurants, etc. "Side hustle"
Amazing how that works.
I will continue to study, create and play music as long as physically able, and it’s enjoyable. It definitely keeps me young, connected with people, and hopefully the amount of brain power needed to do all this will help slow cognitive decline.
+1
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

Amateur drummer.

I started playing percussion in 7th grade concert band and quickly started taking private lessons rudimential snare, drum set, mallets. Our high school was the Highland Scots, so add pipe band to the mix and the marching band. And jazz. I was kind of obsessed. I played drum set through my early 20s in various bands, but slowly put in down in favor of backpacking, hiking, and other outdoor hobbies.

About five years ago, my parents cleaned out their house and started informed me that my childhood Rogers drum set was gathering dust. I got it back at age 38 and did some restoration and repair. It was a pleasure to have it back and that old rhythm never leaves you, even if the chops do a bit. And those vintage Rogers kits, man, they sound good.

As chance would have it, a friend mentioned that his son wanted to learn drums, but didn’t have a kit. I kept my old cymbals and a red glitter glass Powertone snare drum, and replaced them with some beginner models, but I sold him the rest of the kit for about 5 cents on the dollar. It was the kit I learned on and hauled around, so it felt right to pass it along to a newbie.

Plus, since I’ve been saving well and investing, it let me buy a new Gretsch kit, similar to the one that blew my mind when I first played one as a kid. Win-win. What blows me away are the learning opportunities available online. Of course, nothing beats playing with real people, but the Drumeo website is an amazing resource for practice and learning. While I loved the exercises my drum teachers scrawled in a spiral notebook for me, wow, it’s come a long way.

I am hoping to begin studying privately again - I always loved having the inspiration and instruction and accountability of private study, although I’d probably go more down the road if mallets, drum set, jazz.

Thanks for the thread: it’s been a real pleasure reading about everyone’s interests and passion.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

investingdad wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:56 pm Well I’ve certainly documented my violin story on here after asking for advice about starting as a complete music noob five and a half years ago.

Where I’ve lagged is playing with a group. I realize now that the adult string ensemble classes will need to wait a few more years until I have more free time. But weekly lessons with my teacher are great. Best part about being an adult student is I get to choose the music we play, though she’s nudged me in certain directions as I’ve progressed.

We’ve been using the Kayser etudes for the last six months or so for the “instructional” portion of lessons.

I’ve come to accept there are certain ceilings to my playing, the key is to find great music that allows me to work around that.
Why join a string ensemble when you can be a quartethttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsxY3WL1cP8 or even an entire symphony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW6N0BDAnN0 all by yourself?
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

This thread would be improved with photos of BH musicians’ instruments…
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

johan_s wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:08 pm Amateur drummer... About five years ago, my parents cleaned out their house and informed me that my childhood Rogers drum set was gathering dust. I got it back at age 38 and did some restoration and repair. It was a pleasure to have it back and that old rhythm never leaves you, even if the chops do a bit. And those vintage Rogers kits, man, they sound good.
Yeah, I had friends who played Rogers. It's an iconic brand. And it was great that you could help a young player on their way.
(Got) a new Gretsch kit, similar to the one that blew my mind when I first played one as a kid. Win-win.
Excellent!
What blows me away are the learning opportunities available online...it’s come a long way.
You said it! I was gifted a 1935 Conn 4H trombone just before the pandemic, and started watching Youtube to learn the basics. Now I'm taking Zoom lessons with a pro, and keep telling people how much you can learn if you just practice an hour or two a day. (Somehow I've now acquired 3 trombones! How did that happen?)
Thanks for the thread: it’s been a real pleasure reading about everyone’s interests and passion.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

investingdad wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:16 pm This thread would be improved with photos of BH musicians’ instruments…
Ok.
Here's a few.

Gibson Les Paul (use mostly for jazz, setup for that plus Thomastik Flatwound strings.)

Aloha
j :D
jplee3

Post by jplee3 »

Definitely amateur - I took piano lessons growing up and absolutely hated it. I can't read music for the life of me but can sort of play 'by ear' and figure things out. I played clarinet in middle school and picked up guitar (mostly acoustic) in the same time period. I picked up bass within the past couple decades. I'll mess around on electric guitar but am horrible on it. My main 'passion' is (or was) acoustics though... for a time I went through G.A.S (guitar acquisition syndrome) and cycled through probably a dozen guitars or so (buying and selling mid, mid-high, high-end and boutique guitars)... it can be a serious problem lol.

Most recently I got into tin/penny whistle which I'm horrible at but like to play around on.

Some guitar pics

Last edited by jplee3 on Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

jplee3 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:42 pm Definitely amateur - I took piano lessons growing up and absolutely hated it. I can't read music for the life of me but can sort of play 'by ear' and figure things out.
...for a time I went through G.A.S (guitar acquisition syndrome) and cycled through probably a dozen guitars or so (buying and selling mid, mid-high, high-end and boutique guitars)... it can be a serious problem lol.
Most recently I got into tin/penny whistle which I'm horrible at but like to play around on.
Guitars can be addictive!
Sounds like you might still be looking for "your instrument." If you like "acoustics," it might be a type of drum, like a conga. Don't give up.
jplee3

Post by jplee3 »

Jazztonight wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:52 pm
jplee3 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:42 pm Definitely amateur - I took piano lessons growing up and absolutely hated it. I can't read music for the life of me but can sort of play 'by ear' and figure things out.
...for a time I went through G.A.S (guitar acquisition syndrome) and cycled through probably a dozen guitars or so (buying and selling mid, mid-high, high-end and boutique guitars)... it can be a serious problem lol.
Guitars can be addictive!
Sounds like you might still be looking for "your instrument." If you like "acoustics," it might be a type of drum, like a conga. Don't give up.
Oh trust me, finding "your instrument" is never-ending. LOL! I am pretty satisfied with my current "babies" though: my Goodall RGCC is the prized possession and the Collings OM2H and Bourgeois OM will sometimes compete for my time and attention. What's funny is that I've owned Larrivee and Martin guitars but have never owned a Taylor so that might be next on this list. For the rest of the collection, I have a G&L Tribute L2500 Bass and a Gibson SG Faded 2018... electrics are dangerous once you start getting into amps and pedals. I have Boss Katana Head and I recently picked up a used Headrush MX5 FX pedal used off Amazon at a nice discount. Bass amp is a Gallien Kruger MB210.
jplee3

Post by jplee3 »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:41 pm
investingdad wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:16 pm This thread would be improved with photos of BH musicians’ instruments…
Ok.
Here's a few.

Gibson Les Paul (use mostly for jazz, setup for that plus Thomastik Flatwound strings.)

Aloha

That is a beautiful guitar - I have been tempted on several occasions to get one but I can't justify paying the price for something I can barely play ;)
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

jplee3 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:07 am
Ok.
Here's a few.

<snip>
Aloha

That is a beautiful guitar - I have been tempted on several occasions to get one but I can't justify paying the price for something I can barely play ;)
Actually, you will find a great instrument beckons you to be inspired.
There is a synergy that happens as you find new self expression.

Investing in a fine instrument is investing in oneself and one's self. Never a waste.

Now. .. . . which one. . . or one''s to get and play???

Have fun!!! :D :D :D :D
j🌺
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

More pics for a fun and informative (consumer item) thread n post.

Here's a Fender Strat. It's the most comfortable and somewhat easiest (least hand strain) to play, so I use it for a lot of fingerboard practice (scales, modes, etc, vs an acoustic.)

A basic quality pedal board setup can be used for electric, acoustic guitar, ukulele, etc, with good effect. Great to practice various genres, types and styles of play and sound/music. This one can tweak sounds from "George Benson's" Breezin (jazz) to Santana's "Samba Pati", to clean but rich, with the right guitars.

Tips on guitar boxes: not always, but usually, you get what you pay for. Cheaper units are noisy, hum, and the effects can be more "sledge hammer" than subtle. For clean jazz and other "clean" styles, the idea is to add back the richness of pure acoustic that the sound system strips out, and so forth. MXR is a great brand. Thank goodness for Amazon.com's great return policy. The website ads can be really hyped up, and YouTube Vid reviews. The only way to really know if these things fits one's "ears and feels, etc" is just to try them. And, another tip, just changing the order changes the sound.

These types of things make practice fun and keeps things new and fresh.
j :D :D
A440

Post by A440 »

Yes. 30 years teaching it to middle school students and a few years teaching it to high school students at the start of my career. By my count, that makes at least 64 concerts presented to family members and the school community.
Even more rewarding was my call to music ministry for the same period of time as organist, choir director and praise team leader. Better benefits, less pay.
The end is in sight (early retirement) for my teaching career, but I hope to keep playing for my other profession for as long as my brain and fingers keep working.
During Covid lockdown, I learned how to play "Slack-key" on the Uke. Sandtrap should be able to tell you more about this style unique to the islands. My hope is to return to Kauai someday and serenade my wife on the beach. :happy
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
jplee3

Post by jplee3 »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:53 am
jplee3 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:07 am
Ok.
Here's a few.

<snip>
Aloha

Actually, you will find a great instrument beckons you to be inspired.
There is a synergy that happens as you find new self expression.

Investing in a fine instrument is investing in oneself and one's self. Never a waste.

Now. .. . . which one. . . or one''s to get and play???

Have fun!!! :D :D :D :D
j🌺
I suppose one could say "beautiful music is in the ears of the beholder..." LOL
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

How are you able to embed pics in posts?
jplee3

Post by jplee3 »

investingdad wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:59 am How are you able to embed pics in posts?

There's a little image icon that inserts an [IMG] tag: