Free Morningstar Portfolio Ending

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Expro

Free Morningstar Portfolio Ending

Post by Expro »

Just visited M* to have a look at Portfolio Manager and I'm told by a header that it will soon be going away unless one subscribes and pays. How much? I don't know, header doesn't say.

Oh well.
marti038

Re: Free Morningstar Portfolio Ending

Post by marti038 »

Dang. I use it regularly, but don't care enough about it to pay for it. Oh well.
“Having, first, gained all you can, and, secondly saved all you can, then give all you can.” - John Wesley
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

That's too bad.

More info about what's changing for "Morningstar Basic" here: https://investor.morningstar.com/mm/basic
Retiring from Morningstar.com in 2022

INVESTMENT RESEARCH
Basic Stock, Fund, and ETF Screeners
Saved Screens
Security QuickRank

PORTFOLIO ANALYSIS
Morningstar Instant X-Ray

POTENTIAL INVESTMENTS
Watchlist Security Compare

MARKETS
Market Fair Value Graph

RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS
Expanded Financials
mkc

Post by mkc »

Expro wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:23 am Just visited M* to have a look at Portfolio Manager and I'm told by a header that it will soon be going away unless one subscribes and pays. How much? I don't know, header doesn't say.
viewtopic.php?p=6708515#p6708515
hexrexodex

Morningstar portfolio manager - no longer free

Post by hexrexodex »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Any great alternatives out there? Ideally manually entered, but great tracking tools.
invest4

Re: Morningstar portfolio manager - no longer free

Post by invest4 »

Disappointing, but not surprising. My overall impression of Morningstar is they are in a race to the bottom. Long time user of portfolio...guess I am also interested in finding a new alternative.
candb

Post by candb »

I used it for the various yield information it provided on stocks and ETFs...hadn't really found another tool that provided that info. That's disappointing, and $199 annually is a bit steep.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

op

Sad to hear saw this message on top of portfolio watch:

"Legacy Portfolio Manager

While you still have access to Portfolio Manager today, it will be retired for Basic users in the coming months. To continue tracking your investments and to keep your portfolio data, you'll need a subscription to Morningstar Investor."

It was good while it lasted

I have yahoo finance as backup but not as good.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Got the message last night when I checked my portfolio. Can't say I'm shocked and the portfolio manager has been useful.

I'm not going to pay the asking price...so I'll wait for an alternative or simply use the Vanguard portfolio summary pages, which while clunky, gets me the info I need if in a more cumbersome fashion.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

So shady, too. Impossible to get any information on pricing of their subscriptions without clicking on "start a free trial."

Is there just one subscription level? the $34.99 a month? That's egregiously expensive. Is there a difference between "Investor" level and "premium" or did they merge into one subscription level? No info whatsoever.

The information I get from that site is easily paid for by the amount of time my eyes are distracted by their ads. Bogleheads don't need stock tips and active fund updates, but that portfolio manager is really nice to have. And so easy for them to provide.

I'm all ears if anyone has a site that would allow us to import the data from my portfolio manager and provide a similar service. I'd even pay for it. But not $300 a year.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged hexrexodex's thread into the ongoing discussion. The combined thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (news).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
homesleym

Post by homesleym »

They are also radically changing Portfolio Monitor in the paid version. A mere shadow of itself. Not at all worth the $$ :(
hexrexodex

Post by hexrexodex »

I keep seeing people mention excel, havent seen a great template. Anyone got one that tracks things as well as morning star? Should I just switch to yahoo portfolio?
jimcoomer

Post by jimcoomer »

My family has been a Morningstar Premium membership (now called Morningstar Investor) since 2004. Back then we paid in 3-year membership blocks and then in 2017 I found out through a web search that directed me to a bogleheards.org forum that I could get Morningstar Premium membership for free with a certain asset level at T. Rowe Price.

So back in 2017 I went ahead and opened T. Rowe Price accounts and transferred some of our existing T. Rowe Price mutual fund holdings to them(along with non T. Rowe Price holdings to qualify for the household asset level) and we have Morningstar Premium membership essentially for "free" since then.

Morningstar Premium membership allows for detailed X-Ray analysis to let me know our portfolio many details such as more precise breakdowns of percentage of domestic and foreign stocks; the 9-square Stock Style Diversification breakdown; our top individual stocks holdings in our portfolio, and so on. Almost every business day I check our Morningstar portfolio to see if any of our holdings of stocks, ETFs, or mutual fund Morningstar Analyst Rating has changed and I would take appropriate action. The major reason in the past why we paid for Morningstar Premium membership was the invaluable objective Morningstar Analyst Ratings for stocks, ETFs, and mutual funds. I would say in the past 18 years our portfolio has done well and I treat Morningstar Analyst Ratings for objective and reliable ratings like Consumer Reports does for cars and appliances. We also use Personal Capital and has some basic portfolio analysis tools but hands down Morningstar portfolio with premium membership I think has allowed me do self-managed investing much more effectively (like using Consumer Reports to know which brand of appliances or cars to buy). To put in perspective, before 2004, I didn't know squat about investing and we used an outside "investment advisor" who put us in in high-cost load mutual funds and also variable annuities--now I have enough investment knowledge to probably rival any "investment advisor".

I guess my three most favorite financial tools in life are Vanguard (super low cost investments that uses client-owned model), Consumer Reports (non-profit non-biased reviews), and Morningstar (easiest way to check if a stock, ETF, or mutual fund is worth buying or should be sold if owned).
colodane

Post by colodane »

Rats. I use it pretty much daily for Portfolio tracking, but just for very basic performance info on what I own - not a "power user" by any means.

Sorry to see it go. Would perhaps pay $25 a year just for the convenience, but guess I'll need to look elsewhere or change my habits.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

homesleym wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:37 pm They are also radically changing Portfolio Monitor in the paid version. A mere shadow of itself. Not at all worth the $$ :(
Yes, this is a huge issue to me. The Portfolio Tracker and X-Ray are the primary reasons I have kept my M* Premium Membership for many years.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

jimcoomer wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:32 pm My family has been a Morningstar Premium membership (now called Morningstar Investor) since 2004. Back then we paid in 3-year membership blocks and then in 2017 I found out through a web search that directed me to a bogleheards.org forum that I could get Morningstar Premium membership for free with a certain asset level at T. Rowe Price.

So back in 2017 I went ahead and opened T. Rowe Price accounts and transferred some of our existing T. Rowe Price mutual fund holdings to them(along with non T. Rowe Price holdings to qualify for the household asset level) and we have Morningstar Premium membership essentially for "free" since then.

Morningstar Premium membership allows for detailed X-Ray analysis to let me know our portfolio many details such as more precise breakdowns of percentage of domestic and foreign stocks; the 9-square Stock Style Diversification breakdown; our top individual stocks holdings in our portfolio, and so on. Almost every business day I check our Morningstar portfolio to see if any of our holdings of stocks, ETFs, or mutual fund Morningstar Analyst Rating has changed and I would take appropriate action. The major reason in the past why we paid for Morningstar Premium membership was the invaluable objective Morningstar Analyst Ratings for stocks, ETFs, and mutual funds. I would say in the past 18 years our portfolio has done well and I treat Morningstar Analyst Ratings for objective and reliable ratings like Consumer Reports does for cars and appliances. We also use Personal Capital and has some basic portfolio analysis tools but hands down Morningstar portfolio with premium membership I think has allowed me do self-managed investing much more effectively (like using Consumer Reports to know which brand of appliances or cars to buy). To put in perspective, before 2004, I didn't know squat about investing and we used an outside "investment advisor" who put us in in high-cost load mutual funds and also variable annuities--now I have enough investment knowledge to probably rival any "investment advisor".

I guess my three most favorite financial tools in life are Vanguard (super low cost investments that uses client-owned model), Consumer Reports (non-profit non-biased reviews), and Morningstar (easiest way to check if a stock, ETF, or mutual fund is worth buying or should be sold if owned).
I use the Premium Portfolio Tracker in much the same way that you do. I will be very disappointed if they retire these features. I am very underwhelmed with the “new” investor portfolio view.
maschmi

Post by maschmi »

Anyone have good alternative portfolio management tools since M8 is no longer in my future?
woof755

Post by woof755 »

maschmi wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:59 pm Anyone have good alternative portfolio management tools since M8 is no longer in my future?
I googled.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/investin ... ging-apps/

Not too interested in opening a new bank account and linking all my accounts.
I guess I'll put effort into improving my "Excelsmanship".
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

colodane wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:44 pm Rats. I use it pretty much daily for Portfolio tracking, but just for very basic performance info on what I own - not a "power user" by any means.

Sorry to see it go. Would perhaps pay $25 a year just for the convenience, but guess I'll need to look elsewhere or change my habits.
I feel the same. Would've paid $20 per year to not have to re-enter info elsewhere. But $200 a year? Stop it.

bye bye M*.

If anyone knows a reasonable alternative, I'd love to know.
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Expro wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:23 am Just visited M* to have a look at Portfolio Manager and I'm told by a header that it will soon be going away unless one subscribes and pays. How much? I don't know, header doesn't say.

Oh well.
Sad :( , I liked and used the free Portfolio Manager and free Instant X-Ray.

A subscription the new "Morningstar Investor" is $249 annually, or $35 monthly.

I won't be buying.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

sperry8 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:45 pm
colodane wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:44 pm Rats. I use it pretty much daily for Portfolio tracking, but just for very basic performance info on what I own - not a "power user" by any means.

I feel the same. Would've paid $20 per year to not have to re-enter info elsewhere. But $200 a year? Stop it.

bye bye M*.

Yahoo Finance has some free portfolio tracking (you have to manually enter holdings).
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

Ah well. 20+ years of pretty good, free tracking of multiple real, test, or benchmark portfolios. $250 a year is too rich for my blood, for how often I use it and what I use it for. Without portfolio tracking I'm not sure what the basic free subscription is supposed to get me---outside of giving M* better ad targeting-). When portfolios go away, I'll probably log out of M* and never log in again.
Regards, | | Guy
woof755

Post by woof755 »

asset_chaos wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:43 pm Ah well. 20+ years of pretty good, free tracking of multiple real, test, or benchmark portfolios. $250 a year is too rich for my blood, for how often I use it and what I use it for. Without portfolio tracking I'm not sure what the basic free subscription is supposed to get me---outside of giving M* better ad targeting-). When portfolios go away, I'll probably log out of M* and never log in again.
100% the way I feel.
With all I use the site for, the distracting ads were enough price to pay.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

The last dying gasp of horrible website that was stellar 20 years ago.

I've checked out Yahoo Finances portfolio but it has nothing of use unless you also pay it's $35 a month.

I guess I'm just stuck with Fidelity's screener and manual spreadsheet entry.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

Just logged in and saw the message as well. Was going to post on BH to see if there were any good alternatives.
Seems there are not... Very sad to see this going away as it was my primary tool for tracking performance. Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and start tracking IRR on my own in Excel.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

Can portfoliovisualizer.com work? I'm playing around with importing a portfolio into it tho the free version only does 25 entries at a time.

I'll have to play with it as I'm a very basic user.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

I've been visiting Morningstar for many years. My SOP was to get a premium membership for one month, at about the same time each year, and use it to help with a thorough portfolio evaluation and make necessary adjustments. I also use the free portfolio manager to quickly estimate the value of my portfolio every few days, and see how the funds in the portfolio are doing.

I'm sorry to see the change, but it doesn't surprise me. It seems like over the past three or four years Morningstar began catering more to financial advisors and less to individual retail investors. I also noticed they made some changes to the format of their forum which basically ruined it. It's a pathetic shell of what it was. Additionally, they eliminated some things I used in the past to evaluate funds; for example, tax efficiency data and info on percentage of fund in foreign bonds.

I'll probably just use the tool available at the Vanguard site for now, although that got watered down a few years ago, and doesn't offer a very detailed portfolio analysis anymore.

I'd be willing to pay $5.00 or maybe even $10.00 a month to Morningstar, but not $35. Does anybody know what the price is going to be? The previous posts don't agree. Some say as little as $16.58 to as much as $34.99 per month.

So far it doesn't seem like anybody here knows of a free alternative comparable to Morningstar. Maybe somebody will come up with something.
homesleym

Post by homesleym »

Premium memberships are available at the following term lengths and prices: $34.95 for monthly, $249 for annual (save 41% over a monthly plan), $399 for two years, and $499 for three years.
https://www.morningstar.com/help-center ... rship-cost

But... this was sent out to subscribers the other day

We’re updating our Terms of Use effective July 15, 2022. The updated terms include changes to:

Cancellation terms
Upon renewal of your current subscription on or after July 15, 2022, your subscription will continue in effect until the next anniversary of its effective date. Should you cancel your subscription at any time during your subscription period, you will maintain access until the next anniversary. Prorated refunds will no longer be issued.

Subscription length options
Morningstar will no longer offer multiyear subscriptions. Any current subscriptions will continue through their duration and renew into 1-year subscriptions for $199 at the next renewal and at the subscription fee in effect at the time for future renewals.

We encourage you to review all the updated terms as they will automatically apply to your account. Should you have any questions or wish to change your subscription term, please call us at (866) 229-9449 between 8am and 5pm CST, Monday through Friday.

Last edited by homesleym on Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Serving the individual investor who benefits from this is not where their interests are as noted above and as I glance at the annual report:

https://s21.q4cdn.com/198919461/files/d ... t-2021.pdf

Over the years, I have referred new investors to the site, in particular Portfolio Manager, to understand and test portfolios. These folks are being ignored by M*. The investment club at the local high school uses this feature, but alas, soon to be no more.

M* has been very helpful over the years, but I'm at a point in my life where I can live without it. In that I am fortunate, it was part of my learning curve, but for younger folks I wonder where they might turn for things like portfolio testing.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Blues

Post by Blues »

Does anyone know anything about the Sharesight Portfolio Tracker? (sharesight.com)

I saw it listed as an alternative to Yahoo's portfolio tracker, but didn't have time to do any research as it was quite late when I happened upon it.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Blues wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:56 am Does anyone know anything about the Sharesight Portfolio Tracker? (sharesight.com)

I saw it listed as an alternative to Yahoo's portfolio tracker, but didn't have time to do any research as it was quite late when I happened upon it.
Looks like it would cost more than Morningstar for the number of portfolios I have.
Blues

Post by Blues »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:37 am
Blues wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:56 am Does anyone know anything about the Sharesight Portfolio Tracker? (sharesight.com)

Looks like it would cost more than Morningstar for the number of portfolios I have.
How about for someone with under ten funds to track?
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Blues wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:05 am
OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:37 am

How about for someone with under ten funds to track?
Looks like it might be free if you keep all your funds in one portfolio.

https://www.sharesight.com/us/pricing/
Blues

Post by Blues »

I just opened up a free account with Sharesight just to check it out.

Added a few Vanguard funds to track as of yesterday's close with current share balance and basis info.

Looks like it will do for basic record keeping. Between it and Vanguard's info I can get by.
imak

Post by imak »

For those using Fidelity, it has a free portfolio analytics view called Fidelity GPS (Guided Portfolio Summary) which provides style, sector, country exposures in details for all accounts.
This has most features of Morningstar X-Ray.
"Take a simple idea and take it seriously" ~ Charlie Munger
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

imak wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:49 am For those using Fidelity, it has a free portfolio analytics view called Fidelity GPS (Guided Portfolio Summary) which provides style, sector, country exposures in details for all accounts.
Very cool thanks! I didn't know they have that, now to find it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ It's in the wiki. See: Tools and calculators (Fidelity)

FYI - You don't need to own anything at Fidelity to use the tool. All you need is a login account.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Morgenstern

Post by Morgenstern »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:13 am Additionally, they eliminated some things I used in the past to evaluate funds; for example, tax efficiency data and info on percentage of fund in foreign bonds.
Use the link below to find the long-term tax efficiency data. It seems M* is hiding it!

http://performance.morningstar.com/fund ... ture=en-US

Replace "VWIAX" with the ticker of each fund you want to look up.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

All, my desktop Portfolio Manager version has been disabled this morning, and points to $249 yearly and $34 monthly.

My iphone M* app is still allowing access without charge, but I am not sure for how long.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Morgenstern wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:05 pm
OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:13 am Additionally, they eliminated some things I used in the past to evaluate funds; for example, tax efficiency data and info on percentage of fund in foreign bonds.
Use the link below to find the long-term tax efficiency data. It seems M* is hiding it!

http://performance.morningstar.com/fund ... ture=en-US

Replace "VWIAX" with the ticker of each fund you want to look up.
Thanks. Seems like they provided more data in the past on tax efficiency. I think they assigned each fund a numerical ranking for tax efficiency. Also, data on turnover rate.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

I wonder if a person will be able to continue getting the Morningstar tools for free by having an account at TR Price. Probably not.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

jimcoomer wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:32 pm My family has been a Morningstar Premium membership (now called Morningstar Investor) since 2004. Back then we paid in 3-year membership blocks and then in 2017 I found out through a web search that directed me to a bogleheards.org forum that I could get Morningstar Premium membership for free with a certain asset level at T. Rowe Price.

It looks like T. Rowe currently pays just $23 per year for that. You can see what was paid by clicking "my account" at top right of any morningstar page and then going to "membership".
Blues

Post by Blues »

Just a quick update on Sharesight...

The bare bones free portfolio tracker will work fine for me although it doesn't have nearly the granularity of the M* portfolio tools. While I'll miss having all that data at hand, the free Sharesight portfolio is adequate for checking price, basic performance of the portfolio (as a whole), automatically tracking distributions from my Vanguard funds, (it alerted me to two pending FTSE distributions late last night), as well as basis, trades etc.

For those of us in the States, I did notice that it did not begin to update yesterday's closing prices until just before midnight. (Apparently it provides such data to Australia and New Zealand earlier in the evening.)

So, while it is adequate for me, (and I checked the data against the Vanguard site this morning), it may or may not be suitable for those needing more granularity or the ability to track more entities as the free version is limited to 10 items in the portfolio.

Hope that is helpful to anyone who may be considering the free version.

ETA: It also allows 2FA. I use Authy with mine.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:20 pm
sperry8 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:45 pm

bye bye M*.

Yahoo Finance has some free portfolio tracking (you have to manually enter holdings).

Yup, I added and manually entered into Y Finance. Not as good, but free. I will check out this fidelity tracker others are talking about as well.
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
Nowizard

Posting portfolio on-line:

Post by Nowizard »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Morningstar is eliminating their free portfolio postings and replacing it with what is a paid subscription requirement. The cost is not transparent or even located by me other than a premium service at $35 monthly, something not needed. Ideally, the portfolio x-ray would be part of another listing, along with end-of-day update on stocks/funds and ability to add/subtract shares when sales or purchases were made. Looking for a free listing. Old threads mention Mint and others that require account numbers. That's not something I am willing to provide. Suggestions? Earlier threads have comments about reluctance to post portfolios and suggest spread sheets, and those possibilities have been considered.

Tim
AlohaBill

Re: Posting portfolio on-line:

Post by AlohaBill »

This is a little upsetting. I’ve been using this service for many free years. I looked at yahoo finance briefly. They seem to have a similar service. I remember getting morningstar through TRowePrice log in. I don’t know why I stopped using it. I can always go back to hand recording everything (to keep my mind sharp :D :shock: ). I look forward to suggestions. Cheers!
Bill
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Nowizard's thread into a similar discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
daehelgob48

Post by daehelgob48 »

imak wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:49 am For those using Fidelity, it has a free portfolio analytics view called Fidelity GPS (Guided Portfolio Summary) which provides style, sector, country exposures in details for all accounts.
I also use Fidelity. Have used M* and Fidelity the last 15+ years. Most often Fidelity's tools / full view recently. Loosing M* not a concern worth paying for.
trailmk

Post by trailmk »

I am looking for a Morningstar Portfolio replacement also. All I need is the daily closing price, % change for the day, and the YTD return.

I want to be able to enter a list of ETFs & stock funds and see the above information in a table format.

Any suggestions for what might work?

I tried Google Sheets but YTD is not provided. I searched for a formula and found two slightly different versions. When I tried them, the two did not match each other, nor did the results match the Morningstar Portfolio or Vanguard.

If anyone has a proven formula for a Google Sheets YTD or a different site to recommend, I would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.