Free Morningstar Portfolio Ending

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
invest4

Re: Free Morningstar Portfolio Ending

Post by invest4 »

I've tried a number of the free trackers available and found them all wanting in one area or another for my own needs. I also tried some things with google sheets, but ETF info. seems a bit trickier and abandoned the effort. Maybe others will fare better, but I have accepted that I will most likely have a spreadsheet version that lacks some of the things like YTD Returns, but will be sufficient for my purposes.
alan

Portfolio Tracker

Post by alan »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

The free Morningstar portfolio tracker is ending this year. What are my free on-line options? The Yahoo site is always a problem for me. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance,
alan
ALAN
DillPickleAvalanche

Re: Portfolio Tracker

Post by DillPickleAvalanche »

You might try Personal Capital or Mint.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

Morgenstern wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:05 pm
OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:13 am Additionally, they eliminated some things I used in the past to evaluate funds; for example, tax efficiency data and info on percentage of fund in foreign bonds.
Use the link below to find the long-term tax efficiency data. It seems M* is hiding it!

http://performance.morningstar.com/fund ... ture=en-US

Replace "VWIAX" with the ticker of each fund you want to look up.
I see the message, “The report is no longer supported”
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Sad. I have used the portfolio feature since 1994. I have always thought M* had its foot in two camps, the active management camp and the indexing camp. I have paid the $199.00 fee once or twice over the years but did not find anything beneficial for my simple needs.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged alan's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and explained what's wrong.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TenOC

Replacement for MorningStar's free portfolio?

Post by TenOC »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

For a number of years, I have used MorningStar’s (the free version) portfolio to track the historical return on a watchlist of mutual funds and ETF’s. I would look at 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, and 3 year percent gains. Sadly, MorningStar’s has deleted the free portfolio. For a number of months I have been looking for a good replacement for the free MorningStar portfolio with no joy. A few weeks ago I discovered BH, and have been reading a number of your postings. It appears that a number of you use Google sheets with the Google financial function to track your portfolio.

1. Can someone point me to a posting on how to set up a Google sheets with the financial function. I have used Microsoft Excel for a number years but never Google sheets.

2. Will this Google sheets watchlist be able to track the returns like I was -- for example one year percent return on a rolling basiswWith historical prices?

3. A suggestion on a replacement for MorningStar’s portfolio is very welcome. I thought I would be able to use my libraries full paid version of MorningStar, but it will not allow me to enter a personal portfolio.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged TenOC's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
YRT70

Post by YRT70 »

Just noticed the free portfolio manager is no longer offering the instant X ray feature.

Anyone know where I can get this kind of functionality for free?

Edit: Personal Capital wants an American phone number, which I don't have.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

YRT70 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:53 am Just noticed the free portfolio manager is no longer offering the instant X ray feature.

For what it's worth, the free M* Instant X-ray still works for me. Not sure why it works for some people but not others. Maybe if I were to logout of M* and back in, I'd lose access to Instant X-ray

One alternative mentioned in this thread is Fidelity Full View or T. Rowe Price. You need an account at Fidelity or T. Rowe Price.
YRT70

Post by YRT70 »

sycamore wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:43 am
YRT70 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:53 am Just noticed the free portfolio manager is no longer offering the instant X ray feature.

For what it's worth, the free M* Instant X-ray still works for me. Not sure why it works for some people but not others. Maybe if I were to logout of M* and back in, I'd lose access to Instant X-ray

One alternative mentioned in this thread is Fidelity Full View or T. Rowe Price. You need an account at Fidelity or T. Rowe Price.
Thanks for the tips. Is it at https://www.morningstar.com/portfolio-manager where you can still access Instant X-ray?
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

YRT70 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:54 am

Thanks for the tips. Is it at https://www.morningstar.com/portfolio-manager where you can still access Instant X-ray?
Yes. Click on the Tools menu, and there's an option for Instant X-Ray.
YRT70

Post by YRT70 »

sycamore wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:11 pm

Thanks. It seems the Tools menu is gone for me.

investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

YRT70 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:43 am
sycamore wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:11 pm

Thanks. It seems the Tools menu is gone for me.

You need to close that pop-up window. The menu that has the Tools drop-down is being blocked by the pop-up.
YRT70

Post by YRT70 »

investorpeter wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:25 pm You need to close that pop-up window. The menu that has the Tools drop-down is being blocked by the pop-up.
:oops: :D :beer
woof755

Post by woof755 »

My legacy account is working fine.
I messed around with Fidelity and didn't like the results. I am not a spreadsheet guy, so I only superficially looked into the Google Sheets option.

I googled "Morningstar Investor pricing" and a Nerdwallet article came up. In that article was a $50 off promo from Nerdwallet. I clicked in the link and voila the product is no longer $249 but $199. At least for this year.

I signed up.

I have been using the M* portfolio tracker and watch lists for at least 15 years for the cost of ignoring ads in my peripheral vision. I think I'm comfortable paying the $17 / month for their service going forward.

Maybe I'll cancel Disney + ...
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
red light

Post by red light »

I don't see the Legacy Portfolio Manager pop-up message any more. Do you?
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

No, I don't see the legacy message anymore either. I think there was a cookie that meant you didn't get the legacy account going away banner more than once a day. But I deleted M* cookies, logged in, and still got no message.

There were a lot of complaints---especially on M*'s own message board---that the new paid accounts weren't very good and lacked functionality. Maybe they've put everything---including the free account phase out---on pause until they've worked out the problems with the new accounts.
Regards, | | Guy
Gary Guss

Post by Gary Guss »

Welp its the 3rd of January and the Free Portfolio is still working for me..
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Free M* account still works for me as well, I don’t like spreadsheet.

M* I just transcribe the buy and sell from recent transactions into the portfolio manager and I am done.

I will miss it when it is gone.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Me too.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
Blues

Post by Blues »

In truth, I've learned to live without it now...and find it simpler and less hassle. Mileage will certainly vary here.
Electron

Post by Electron »

Last week I created several Portfolios and used the csv file import feature provided by the Legacy Portfolio Manager. I then generated the full Portfolio Monitor report which provides a detailed analysis of the portfolio. That is a very nice resource to have available.

Has anyone seen a document or video explaining each section in the Portfolio Monitor report?

The table and chart labeled Portfolio Performance includes Index Returns. I noticed that the Index performance changed when changes were made to the cash flows in my portfolio. It looks like they may be applying the portfolio cash flows to the index.
Enjoying the Outdoors
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Electron wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:58 pm Last week I created several Portfolios and used the csv file import feature provided by the Legacy Portfolio Manager. I then generated the full Portfolio Monitor report which provides a detailed analysis of the portfolio. That is a very nice resource to have available.

Has anyone seen a document or video explaining each section in the Portfolio Monitor report?

The table and chart labeled Portfolio Performance includes Index Returns. I noticed that the Index performance changed when changes were made to the cash flows in my portfolio. It looks like they may be applying the portfolio cash flows to the index.
Rob Berger has a good video on M* Portfolio Manager see link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqo3sbSbFjg
Electron

Post by Electron »

Thanks for the link to the Portfolio Manager video. That was very helpful and I have now answered most of my questions. The Legacy Portfolio Manager also provides a number of helpful links and user guides.

I just ran into a very unexpected problem while importing csv files from different sources. Files produced by Vanguard worked with no problem along with csv files created manually using Notepad.

However, csv files saved by Excel 2019 would not work as expected. Morningstar had trouble in every case with the first line of the csv file.

I had been saving the file as CSV UTF-8 (Comma Delimited) (*.csv) as that was the first choice in the drop-down menu. I didn't notice that there were three other csv file formats farther down the list.

Morningstar does not support CSV UTF-8 which adds a number of hex characters (EF BB BF) at the beginning of each file. The characters are actually a byte order mark but in this case they are used only to indicate UTF-8. I was able to see the hex characters with a hex editor.

The solution is to use the CSV (Comma Delimited) (*.csv) format. CSV (MS-DOS) (*.csv) and CSV (Macintosh) (*.csv) were also tested and Morningstar accepted these formats as well.
Enjoying the Outdoors
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

M* has reverted to no portfolios again for basic account. When signing in this morning, I just get the opportunity to sign up for a paid account. Last time I looked at the M* portfolio was beginning of this month, so change happened last few days. Unlike last time I don't see any kind of banner on M* home page announcing the change.

Out of curiosity I clicked sign up, and they require a phone number and agreeing to this language,
By checking this box and submitting this form, I give Morningstar consent to call me at any number provided here using automated technology to discuss matters related to my subscription and/or account and tell me about special offers reserved for Morningstar Investor subscribers. I understand my consent is not required to receive products and/or services from Morningstar.
I've never had a company insist they be allowed to robo-call me with advertisements whenever they felt like it. Especially on top of wanting a $250/year subscription fee. Who would want to agree to a high cost account with robo-calling ads?

Ah well, bye bye to M* for good this time.
Regards, | | Guy
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

asset_chaos wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:22 pm M* has reverted to no portfolios again for basic account.
My basic M* account is still working.

Every so often, they require you to password verify who you are, once I get past the verification it works for me on Iphone SE2 under Safari & Microsoft windows 10/11 under Microsoft Edge.
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

retire2022 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:48 pm
asset_chaos wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:22 pm M* has reverted to no portfolios again for basic account.

Every so often, they require you to password verify who you are, once I get past the verification it works for me on Iphone SE2 under Safari & Microsoft windows 10/11 under Microsoft Edge.
Yeah, yeah, I signed out and signed back in. For what it's worth, I tried both a chromebook and firefox on a windows laptop; same result. Clicking on My Account in the top right produces a dropdown menu and no matter what button I push---even asking for the help center---produces the sign up page.

Perhaps I'm in the leading batch to be turfed out by M*.
Regards, | | Guy
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

The Yahoo Finance free Portfolio feature works fine for me.
"The big money is not in the buying and selling, but in the waiting." - Charles Munger
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

You might give this link a try: https://www.tdameritrade.com/education/ ... -xray.html

It works on my Chrome browser - note that it takes about a minute to load.

However, it does not work on my Firefox or Edge browsers and gives the message, "For your security, you've been logged out of the tool. You have to re-login." Note that this could also be due to some of the many different extensions I have installed on each browser as well.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Same here: I have been reading here since last September that M* is closing the free portfolio feature. I have used it since the early 90s and I am still using it with no issues. All of the hundreds of statistics and other features are still in place.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

asset_chaos wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:22 pm

Yeah, yeah, I signed out and signed back in. For what it's worth, I tried both a chromebook and firefox on a windows laptop; same result. Clicking on My Account in the top right produces a dropdown menu and no matter what button I push---even asking for the help center---produces the sign up page.

Is that how you normally access M* portfolio? I normally access it by clicking on the portfolio link on the top of the main page. The portfolio feature is still working fine for me.

For what it's worth, when I click on any of the links under "My Account" I get the same sign-up page, but I don't really have any reason to click those links. All the features I want to access are on the main webpage.
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

investorpeter wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:13 pm
asset_chaos wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:22 pm

Is that how you normally access M* portfolio? I normally access it by clicking on the portfolio link on the top of the main page. The portfolio feature is still working fine for me.

For what it's worth, when I click on any of the links under "My Account" I get the same sign-up page, but I don't really have any reason to click those links. All the features I want to access are on the main webpage.
By jingo, you are correct and clearly my senescence is gathering steam. My apologies to all for the false alarm.
Regards, | | Guy
Electron

Post by Electron »

I have a Morningstar Portfolio that was created using the Legacy Portfolio Manager. There was a checkbox if you wanted to receive a daily Portfolio Update Report via email.

Does anyone know how to access their email preferences to turn off the report? The daily email includes a link to your email preferences but it takes you to a non-existent page. My Account Profile shows nothing more than my name and email address.

It looks like work is still in progress on the Morningstar website. Here is some information I received in December.

"Note on legacy Portfolio Manager"

"As we continue to build and release more enhancements to Investor, legacy Portfolio Manager will still remain available on Morningstar.com. We will not retire this version until Investor’s portfolio features are successfully up and running, and we’ll continue to update you on our progress."
Enjoying the Outdoors
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

^ There's a "portfolio monitor" link, but it doesn't appear that it has what you're looking for, it seems to have only monthly reports as an option. The link goes here:

http://portfolio.morningstar.com/RtPort ... tting.aspx

If there's no functional unsubscribe link in the email, you could resort to labeling it "spam".
Electron

Post by Electron »

Thanks jeffyscott for the reply. I went through this last year and wound up deleting and recreating portfolios and not checking the email box.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem now uploading csv files that I'm quite sure worked earlier. I'll be patient and see if they complete the transition to the new Portfolio Manager.

Morningstar at one time had some fairly good Investment Forums that now seem to be entirely gone.
Enjoying the Outdoors
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Probably one of the rare ones on this forum that pays for the service. I have found it valuable over the years to be a premium member. I have received value over the years.

Ed
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

Electron wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:46 pm
It looks like work is still in progress on the Morningstar website. Here is some information I received in December.

"Note on legacy Portfolio Manager"

"As we continue to build and release more enhancements to Investor, legacy Portfolio Manager will still remain available on Morningstar.com. We will not retire this version until Investor’s portfolio features are successfully up and running, and we’ll continue to update you on our progress."
The new Investor version of the website isn’t an improvement. The old Legacy version allows you to receive performance data for 5, 10, and 15 year time periods - which allows you to see how an investment performed over a complete market cycle. The new Investor version only allows performance data up to 5 years. I hope that they continue the availability of the Legacy version indefinitely.

DMW
Electron

Post by Electron »

Dead Man Walking wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:18 pm The new Investor version of the website isn’t an improvement. The old Legacy version allows you to receive performance data for 5, 10, and 15 year time periods - which allows you to see how an investment performed over a complete market cycle. The new Investor version only allows performance data up to 5 years. I hope that they continue the availability of the Legacy version indefinitely.
I just compared the Investor and Legacy versions and there are quite a few differences. The new Investor version doesn't offer the Portfolio Monitor feature that generates the very nice pdf report. The only performance information I see in the Investor version is yearly performance going back to 2013.

The Investor version currently does not support uploading csv files. I previously used that feature a number of times in the Legacy version.

However, at the present time csv files can be uploaded to a Watchlist but not a Portfolio. In addition, if the csv file contains multiple lots for any of the holdings the upload seems to have problems. I believe that feature worked earlier this year.
Enjoying the Outdoors