Finding the Lowest Gasoline Prices

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bhburnsy

Re: Finding the Lowest Gasoline Prices

Post by bhburnsy »

For Walmart+ Members:

https://www.walmart.com/plus/fuel-discounts

-Save up to 10¢ per gallon at Exxon, Mobil, Walmart, & Murphy stations
-Access member prices at Sam’s Club fuel centers
-Over 14,000 convenient locations in 48 states
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Kroger (and other grocers with gas stations) allow you to use points from normal grocery shopping for discounts.

The biggest bang for the buck is to drive less, combine trips so that you are doing multiple errands in a single trip, bike to work when possible, carpool, transit, properly inflated tires, and optimal speeds with less stomping on the gas pedal/brakes will all move the needle for most people.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Today, my small town has a $.74 range in regular unleaded -- $5.74 - $6.48

Costco is $5.759 - then using the Costco Citi Visa 4% cash back it nets to $5.529

We buy 90% percent of our fuel at Costco because its consistently one of the lowest cost options.

I've never waited 30 min to fuel up there, maybe 10 or 15 min. Most Costco station in my area have 3 pumps per line so the line looks long, but moves fast.

***Its the 40+ gallons of premium that my boat burns in a typical week that has really put the price of fuel on my radar, but it is still worth it to us.
Last edited by DoubleComma on Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

fposte wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:45 pm
Nate79 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:17 am Well, I always wondered who were those non frugal or oblivious folks filling up gas at the expensive stations were. Now I know some of them were Bogleheads. :confused
The gas station down the street from me is $5.08; Costco is $5.00. I don't shop at Costco and it's a half-hour round trip. Generally I fill about 8 gallons when I buy gas. My time is worth more than a buck thirty an hour. I might do different math if I filled up more than once a month or was closer to Costco or went up there regularly, but I don't.

So don't assume they're oblivious or not frugal; they might just have done more thorough math.
There is a difference between driving a half-hour round trip to find some pennies/dollars savings vs planning ahead to fill gas when you shop at the Costco vs buying at the local station. But even worse is when you see two stations on the corner with a different price and you still see people buying gas at the more expensive station. But maybe they just didn't want to make the turn and took the easy route.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Many people also seem to ignore the cost of driving any type of distance to buy cheaper gas. Driving a prius 7 miles to costco will waste a third of a gallon just to purchase gas. Driving a dualie pickup will waste a full gallon.

I'm not saying everyone does this, particularly Bogleheads, but it happens plenty. People burning gas to save gas. :oops:
fposte

Post by fposte »

Nate79 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:24 pm
Nate79 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:17 am Well, I always wondered who were those non frugal or oblivious folks filling up gas at the expensive stations were. Now I know some of them were Bogleheads. :confused
The gas station down the street from me is $5.08; Costco is $5.00. I don't shop at Costco and it's a half-hour round trip. Generally I fill about 8 gallons when I buy gas. My time is worth more than a buck thirty an hour. I might do different math if I filled up more than once a month or was closer to Costco or went up there regularly, but I don't.

So don't assume they're oblivious or not frugal; they might just have done more thorough math.
There is a difference between driving a half-hour round trip to find some pennies/dollars savings vs planning ahead to fill gas when you shop at the Costco vs buying at the local station. But even worse is when you see two stations on the corner with a different price and you still see people buying gas at the more expensive station. But maybe they just didn't want to make the turn and took the easy route.
Or they have a gas card or a loyalty account, but there are definitely streets where I'd pay a dollar not to make a left turn across traffic. As with any other kind of shopping, I think it makes sense to look at a purchase decision in context. How much energy and planning would it take to save me sixty cents? To some people it's important and satisfying to pay bottom dollar for everything, and some people find it a gratifying sport in its own right so it's time enjoyably spent. But to some of us it's only worth the mental load of additional planning and change if there's a significant differential. In my neck of the woods there isn't on gas, and similarly I mostly shop at one grocery store, even though there's another one that has some of my usual purchases cheaper. I don't think being a boglehead necessarily means getting bottom dollar for everything, though plenty of bogleheads enjoy that, and more power to them; it's also about making informed decisions about what you get for your money and if it's worth it to you.
mceagle555

Post by mceagle555 »

I often get $2.00 - $4.00 off per gallon.

- Step 1: Get credit card offering 5-6% back on groceries (Amex Blue Cash Preferred, Citi Custom Cash, US Bank Signature, etc...)
- Step 2: Buy gift cards during "4x fuel points" promotions at Kroger brand of grocery stores (Amazon, Apple, Starbucks, etc...) $500 Amazon gift card = 2000 points
- Step 3: Redeem fuel points at Kroger gas pumps (2000 points = $2 off per gallon)
- Step 4: Fuel up to 35 gallon limit (Bring gas cans for difference in 35 gallons minus capacity of your car's tank)

Assuming 2000 points redeemed, the math is:

35 gallons x $2 = $70 savings at pump
$500 gift card x 5% cashback = $25 savings on CC purchase
$95 Total Savings

Note: I don't recommend buying gift cards you physically need to hold on to & potentially lose. Amazon, Apple, Starbucks, Chipotle, Chick-fil-a, and others all allow you to transfer gift card balance to their digital app, which I do in the parking lot before leaving store.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

I noticed the Chase Amazon card has a 10% cash back offer on certain gas brands. I think the card is already 2% back on gas, so this would be 4%.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

greg24 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:30 pm Many people also seem to ignore the cost of driving any type of distance to buy cheaper gas. Driving a prius 7 miles to costco will waste a third of a gallon just to purchase gas. Driving a dualie pickup will waste a full gallon.

I'm not saying everyone does this, particularly Bogleheads, but it happens plenty. People burning gas to save gas. :oops:
The cost of gas isn't even the biggest part of the overall expense incurred as a result of the additional miles driven. It's something a lot of people tend not to give much thought to: depreciation. I like to visualize throwing 60 cents out of the window every mile that I drive. The actual cost of driving a mile will vary case by case, of course, but I'm just going with the IRS mileage rate for the sake of simplicity.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

How to save a little on gas:
Use getupside or get a Costco membership. If you would save enough otherwise, Walmart+ offers a gas discount.

How to save a lot on gas:
Move closer to work, bicycle, or ride a motorcycle.
jjj_22

Post by jjj_22 »

Grocery store membership fuel points can be a good deal. Some people don't use their own account when they shop. The accounts are associated with a phone number, and I know at least two local megacorps' hq front desk numbers have been registered with kroger and safeway accounts, and seem to get a lot of use based on the fact that I used to pretty regularly get the max gas discount when putting those phone numbers in, because most people just used those accounts to get the in-store discounts, but it's been a lot slimmer pickings at the gas pump lately -- I think others have caught on to this, but it's still worth a try.

When I was checking out at safeway once I got a "hey, Roger Waters!" because that's the name on one of the fake accounts. I had a good chuckle.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

mceagle555 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:32 pm I often get $2.00 - $4.00 off per gallon.

- Step 1: Get credit card offering 5-6% back on groceries (Amex Blue Cash Preferred, Citi Custom Cash, US Bank Signature, etc...)
- Step 2: Buy gift cards during "4x fuel points" promotions at Kroger brand of grocery stores (Amazon, Apple, Starbucks, etc...) $500 Amazon gift card = 2000 points
- Step 3: Redeem fuel points at Kroger gas pumps (2000 points = $2 off per gallon)
- Step 4: Fuel up to 35 gallon limit (Bring gas cans for difference in 35 gallons minus capacity of your car's tank)

$95 Total Savings

Note: I don't recommend buying gift cards you physically need to hold on to & potentially lose. Amazon, Apple, Starbucks, Chipotle, Chick-fil-a, and others all allow you to transfer gift card balance to their digital app, which I do in the parking lot before leaving store.
Maybe I’m not following you?

Last time I checked, “at Kroger Family of Stores Fuel Centers you can redeem up to 1,000 Fuel Points for $1 off per gallon.”. But you assume 2000 points redeemed.

Since I stopped using gas last summer, maybe this policy has changed and I haven’t noticed.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

Costco was $0.30 less than others when I was there today. I try to fill when I'm there anyway. Otherwise we use Kroger points. Anywhere from $0.03 to $0.50 off a gallon, depending on what we've bought there recently. Kroger's non-discounted price is typically the same as the rest of the gas stations.

Definitely reconsidering driving habits (speed) and need for trips these days.
RiotAct

Post by RiotAct »

grogu wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:00 pm Has anyone noticed less competition in the price of gas among stations? Back when gas was in the $2-2.50/gallon range, I noticed about a 20-cent spread (~10%) between the cheapest and most expensive stations. Now that gas is in the $4.50-5.50 range, I find the spread has actually shrunk (10-15-cent spread, which is only about 2-4%).

I'm pretty certain my observations are empirically correct in my area. Was just wondering if that's a local quirk or part of a more widespread price-setting strategy.
Yep. Most of the “normal” gas stations here in western NY are between $4.85 and $5/gallon, however, I saw it for $4.50 yesterday at Delta Sonic (a very popular car wash chain here).
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

greg24 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:30 pm Many people also seem to ignore the cost of driving any type of distance to buy cheaper gas. Driving a prius 7 miles to costco will waste a third of a gallon just to purchase gas. Driving a dualie pickup will waste a full gallon.

It can make sense if one has to do errands in the same area, so one is not just driving to buy gas. We shop a Costco a couple of times a month, and that is when we fill up whichever car we have there at the time.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

pshonore wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:31 am
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:57 am Discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable. I removed a post and several replies regarding use of diesel purchased for a farm (off-road) but instead used in a car. Off-road fuel is not taxed in the same way as fuel intended for public use and is illegal if not used for the intended purpose. Google "gas tax farm diesel use in cars".

Here's one source: 6 Common Questions And Answers About Red Diesel Fuel – Kendrick Oil
And then there's the generous CT government. They declared a temporary gas tax holiday by removing a 25 cent excise tax on gasoline, one of many ways in energy is taxed. (Several states have done similar things). But they failed to remove the same tax on diesel fuel, heating oi and propane. As an actionable item, might be a good time to ask your elected officials how much of the price of gas/energy is due to tax. Probably a lot more than people realize.
Gasoline should cost about $5/gallon extra if the CO2 emissions were not being implicitly subsidized.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

In the 1970s there were gasoline shortages due to various controls on price & supply that were still in place (the market could not clear: in a free market the price of gasoline would shoot up until it choked off demand).

It was estimated that more gas was wasted waiting in line for gasoline than was saved by the various restrictions.

By and large, people are innumerate. I am always shocked by my own inability to work these sorts of things out in my head. I have to sit down with pencil & paper (or spreadsheet).

My father would run the tank low in search of cheap gasoline. To the point where we actually ran out in the middle of the road. That's left me with a mortal fear of a tank that is below the halfway point.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:06 pmHow to save a lot on gas:
When gas hit $5/gallon here Sunday, I finally talked my wife into driving into the office only one day a week instead of 3 (she's actually fully remote, but was driving in, ~45 miles round trip, MWF). At least half of our driving miles are totally unnecessary (wife's work commute and her essentially being the taxi for her best friend, who has her own car), but it's not been so easy convincing my wife of that.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

That's what I did yesterday, when I purchased 10 gals to fill up my car (retired, don't drive much). The closest station is a mile away (Costco) with the next commercial station 2 blocks away from Costco.

The difference in the price (as of yesterday) was $.14/gal. Rather than waiting in the line at Costco (which was out into the regular parking lot since you couldn't even get into the gasport) I went to the station down the street. Cost me an additional $1.40; probably a portion that would be consumed while waiting in the Costco gas line :oops: ...

- Ron
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:35 am
When gas hit $5/gallon here Sunday, I finally talked my wife into driving into the office only one day a week instead of 3 (she's actually fully remote, but was driving in, ~45 miles round trip, MWF). At least half of our driving miles are totally unnecessary (wife's work commute and her essentially being the taxi for her best friend, who has her own car), but it's not been so easy convincing my wife of that.
It depends on how good a feel people have for these things. If they are in charge of filling up the tank & paying, that may bring it home.

Ofc knowing what my morning cappuccino costs hasn't, so far, stopped me getting it :? :? :oops:
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:15 pm
mceagle555 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:32 pm I often get $2.00 - $4.00 off per gallon.

$95 Total Savings

Last time I checked, “at Kroger Family of Stores Fuel Centers you can redeem up to 1,000 Fuel Points for $1 off per gallon.”. But you assume 2000 points redeemed.

Since I stopped using gas last summer, maybe this policy has changed and I haven’t noticed.
Did you purchase an EV?

What make and model? How has it been so far as an ownership experience?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Valuethinker wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:42 am
neilpilot wrote: Since I stopped using gas last summer, maybe this policy has changed and I haven’t noticed.
Did you purchase an EV?

What make and model? How has it been so far as an ownership experience?
Purchased a VW ID.4 in May 2021. Perfect timing. Occasional long trips are done in my DW's ICE since even though 3 years of free EA charging was included we typically drive thru MS, which remains an EV charging dessert. I've put 7k miles on with local drives and some short trips. Love the instant torque and quiet, comfortable drive.

Cost to "fill up" at home is under $1/gal equivalent and it takes less of my time than when I needed to buy gas. I smile when I drive by a gas station .
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

$95 Total Savings

Most of the credit card sites (Nerd wallet, etc) as well as AMEX suggest the Amex Blue Cash Preferred gives 3% back on gas (not 5 or 6 %)
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Valuethinker wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:41 am
It depends on how good a feel people have for these things. If they are in charge of filling up the tank & paying, that may bring it home.

Ofc knowing what my morning cappuccino costs hasn't, so far, stopped me getting it :? :? :oops:
Exactly.

If you pay $50-$60 buck to fill up your gas tank, it may be convincing to change your behavior. The meaningful way to save on gas is to change your behavior. Not the credit card point, cash back, etc.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

H-Town wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:05 am
Valuethinker wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:41 am

Exactly.

If you pay $50-$60 buck to fill up your gas tank, it may be convincing to change your behavior. The meaningful way to save on gas is to change your behavior. Not the credit card point, cash back, etc.
I am laughing because it's been a long time since a tank of gas here (UK) cost only $55-50. Or even £55-60. Cost of filling an average tank of petrol here has just reached £98 so $123.

And yet I still see lots of Range Rovers, Porsche Cayenne etc:

- distances are shorter
- some set of drivers still have the money to pay for & run big cars

I now see quite a few Teslas, though, which I didn't at the start of lockdown 2 years ago. Teslas here cost roughly 1 for 1 GBP £ v your USD $ price.
mceagle555

Post by mceagle555 »

$95 Total Savings

They changed the policy sometime in the last year, as well as the verbiage on the sign above the pump. You can now redeem more than 1,000 points at a time.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

pshonore wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:54 am

$95 Total Savings

Most of the credit card sites (Nerd wallet, etc) as well as AMEX suggest the Amex Blue Cash Preferred gives 3% back on gas (not 5 or 6 %)
I belatedly learned that the Amex Blue Cash Preferred only gives 1% back on gas at Kroger gas stations in my area. I spoke to customer service about this recently so will use a different CC there in the future. FWIW.

You can earn 3% back at non-big box/grocery store gas stations I believe.
freckles01

Post by freckles01 »

jharkin wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:56 am Years of following BH principles and just not driving a lot (we put less than 20k miles/yr across 2 cars) means I don't really worry about it much. I *do* avoid a couple of stations that I know always have high prices, but I also don't go for the lowest (trying to stay with top tier brands). Its been bouncing around between 4.50 and 5 the last month.

Where I live Walmarts don't generally have on site gas stations. BJs and Costco's do and generally offer cheaper than average gas - but neither is close enough to us to justify joining.
Same here, car driving is not my primary nor preferred mode of transportation so I don't spend time looking at gas prices. I top up about 1x month when I go to Costco.

If possible, it might be a good time to check out alternate modes of transportation available in your city for commuting or local errands. And implementing good driving habits- no speeding, jackrabbiting to the next red light etc will also save on gas and make you a safer driver around vulnerable road users.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

ekid wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:56 am
Or my poor relatives. They don't pay attention to gas prices on principle "because you can't save anything".

Nor groceries...or hardly anything else. That's why they're poor.

""Take care of your pennies- the dollars will take care of themselves"- is meaningless; they don't understand the phrase.
I always adhered to penny wise, pound foolish argument, so I'm one of those who doesn't pay much attention to gas prices. Could I save money shopping around for gas, probably, but not worth the effort to save maybe $20/month.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

I'm not loving the gas prices with a cross country trip planned (ouch), but I find the marginal utility of searching for the lowest price not particularly worth it as a daily practice. We both work from home, and I can bike to the office when I need to go in.

Necessary driving is about ten miles per week, 40 if I drive to work every day. It's not a massive part of the budget on its own. Combining trips is more important than idling for 20 minutes in the Costco line to save .40/g for me.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

MrBobcat wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:11 pm
Or my poor relatives. They don't pay attention to gas prices on principle "because you can't save anything".

""Take care of your pennies- the dollars will take care of themselves"- is meaningless; they don't understand the phrase.
I always adhered to penny wise, pound foolish argument, so I'm one of those who doesn't pay much attention to gas prices. Could I save money shopping around for gas, probably, but not worth the effort to save maybe $20/month.
Depends on your situation. Off the top of my head, there are at least 9 gas stations within 2 miles of my home. One of those gas stations has had the cheapest prices in the entire state since beginning of the year, all the others are $.20-.$.50/gallon more expensive. Also (at least in my experience) while the delta changes, the cheapest are always the cheapest and the most expensive are always the most expensive. Was worth it to me to spend 10 seconds to find out which gas station very near me was the cheapest and I'll double check every few weeks...picking up dollars (not quarters) in the road.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I live in an inner suburb, so all the big box, discount fuel stations are a 20 mile round trip. My only close options are the big chain gas stations which all match each other's prices.

I'm glad we drive sensible cars, and we still splurge for a Sunday drive. (It's cheap entertainment.)
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

if you have costco or sams around they have cheapest gas . and you can use a cashback card for additional 2-5%
Thanks!
koryg75

Post by koryg75 »

I’ll second using the upside app. If I need gas on a day I’m driving by Costco, there is often a very competitive offer nearby. And of course the Costco card saves 4% at every gas station
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We shop at Fred Meyer (similar to City Market and King Soopers) and are sure to accumulate 1,000 fuel points every month. We then use those fuel points to get $1 off every gallon of gasoline we buy, up to 35 gallons. I use metal jerry cans throughout the month to refuel our vehicles as needed and then refill them when I do our monthly fill-up.
The Sensible Steward
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:12 pm

Depends on your situation. Off the top of my head, there are at least 9 gas stations within 2 miles of my home. One of those gas stations has had the cheapest prices in the entire state since beginning of the year, all the others are $.20-.$.50/gallon more expensive. Also (at least in my experience) while the delta changes, the cheapest are always the cheapest and the most expensive are always the most expensive. Was worth it to me to spend 10 seconds to find out which gas station very near me was the cheapest and I'll double check every few weeks...picking up dollars (not quarters) in the road.
We have 5 gas stations in town. They are within 7 cents of each other so I'm probably exaggerating the amount of savings. Safeway's does have a rewards program but I don't shop there because their food prices are higher.
criticalmass

GasBuddy App Location Privacy Re: Finding the Lowest Gasoline Prices

Post by criticalmass »

If you use the Gasbuddy app, consider that they track your location and movements very closely and sell your location data to an aggregator (recently changed to Foursquare) who sells it to whoever is interested upon matching it to other facts about you. You don’t to sign up for an account with Gasbuddy or give them your name to track you closely, as the data matches with other information from your device.

You can (supposedly) turn off this practice in the Settings (Privacy). Apple also allows you to turn off precise location permissions, so the App only knows your approximate location, which is good enough to find gas stations nearby.

Lots of apps do this, but Gasbuddy is one of the most consistent about selling your location history to many others.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Everyone, I beg of you, please turn off your car in Costco gas line. And other places where you don't actually need it running.

My local soft serve ice cream place has a nice walkup window, and a drive thru. I ride my bike there and use the walkup window. I've been there a couple times in the past week when it was roughly 70 degrees. 80%+ of the customers use the drive thru, with their windows rolled up (70 degree weather!!) and the AC blowing. Then they pull into parking spots, leaving the windows up, and eat their ice cream while cranking the AC. Did I mention that it was 70 degrees?!?!? And low humidity??? :oops:

PLEASE. Don't run your engine when you don't have to. That will probably save you more money than most other methods.
mceagle555

Post by mceagle555 »

pshonore wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:54 am

$95 Total Savings

You're missing the point.

You use your Amex Blue Cash Preferred to get 6% back on buying gift cards (amazon) INSIDE Kroger for the purpose of Fuel Points.

You then use whatever credit card you want at the pump, but use the fuel points to get $2-$4 discounts off gas. (ex. 2000 points + $2/gal discount, taking $5 gas down to $3/gallon.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Like everything else, 'depends'. There are a couple of stations on a road we often travel that are *way* more than other 'Top Tier' stations a bit harder to get to if you happen to be on that road (or live in the apartment developments along it) but not actually far. I also wonder sometimes who is filling up there. OTOH obviously you directly consume gas (even besides time) driving far and wide to find cheaper gas. The cheapest station we go to is Costco but it's 11 miles one way. And we don't have high mileage cars, that's over a gallon round trip. So it doesn't make sense to go there to save $0.20/gal over the cheaper regular stations near us. We only get gas there if we're going anyway. But it does make sense to avoid those overpriced stations in favor of cheaper ones which aren't any farther away (the one we go to most often is 5 blocks from our house yet typically close to best Top Tier non-Costco price in the area). We don't save even $20/month doing that for local driving, we don't drive a whole lot besides road trips. Then again it's not any real effort.

When driving out of area I may use Gas Buddy to plan my gas stops, but I don't focus on getting the absolute low in the area, just again avoiding particularly overpriced stations.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JackoC wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:41 am

Like everything else, 'depends'. There are a couple of stations on a road we often travel that are *way* more than other 'Top Tier' stations a bit harder to get to if you happen to be on that road (or live in the apartment developments along it) but not actually far. I also wonder sometimes who is filling up there. OTOH obviously you directly consume gas (even besides time) driving far and wide to find cheaper gas. The cheapest station we go to is Costco but it's 11 miles one way. And we don't have high mileage cars, that's over a gallon round trip. So it doesn't make sense to go there to save $0.20/gal over the cheaper regular stations near us. We only get gas there if we're going anyway. But it does make sense to avoid those overpriced stations in favor of cheaper ones which aren't any farther away (the one we go to most often is 5 blocks from our house yet typically close to best Top Tier non-Costco price in the area). We don't save even $20/month doing that for local driving, we don't drive a whole lot besides road trips. Then again it's not any real effort.

When driving out of area I may use Gas Buddy to plan my gas stops, but I don't focus on getting the absolute low in the area, just again avoiding particularly overpriced stations.
The cheapest gas station in the state, ~1.5 miles from our home, has another gas station directly across the street. The price delta right now is $.41/gallon for regular between the stations yet I always see at least one car at the more expensive station whenever I am filling up. We do have an unusual situation, the difference generally isn't that big. That being said, we all have our threshold regarding how much effort we will put in to save a buck; I will gladly go across the street to save $5+.
ekid

Post by ekid »

greg24 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:46 am Everyone, I beg of you, please turn off your car in Costco gas line. And other places where you don't actually need it running.

My local soft serve ice cream place has a nice walkup window, and a drive thru. I ride my bike there and use the walkup window. I've been there a couple times in the past week when it was roughly 70 degrees. 80%+ of the customers use the drive thru, with their windows rolled up (70 degree weather!!) and the AC blowing. Then they pull into parking spots, leaving the windows up, and eat their ice cream while cranking the AC. Did I mention that it was 70 degrees?!?!? And low humidity??? :oops:

PLEASE. Don't run your engine when you don't have to. That will probably save you more money than most other methods.
I hear ya, friend; I surely do.
But it seems the major half does not.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ekid wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:26 pm
greg24 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:46 am Everyone, I beg of you, please turn off your car in Costco gas line. And other places where you don't actually need it running.

I hear ya, friend; I surely do.
But it seems the major half does not.
:sharebeer My wife likes to turn on the AC in the house and then put a space heater on her feet. Similarly, it doesn't matter how cold it is outside or if it is even moving, she gets in the car, the AC is turned on. You pick your battles.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I agree that pointless idling of an engine is dumb. But most vehicles don't burn much gasoline while idling. Most 2 liter engines only burn about .16 gallon per hour while idling. At $5/gallon, that's only $.80/hour of idling.

Unless you're idling for hours on a regular basis, driving slower and paying close attention to where you buy your gas will almost certainly save you much more money.
The Sensible Steward
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:55 am The cheapest gas station in the state, ~1.5 miles from our home, has another gas station directly across the street. The price delta right now is $.41/gallon for regular between the stations yet I always see at least one car at the more expensive station whenever I am filling up. We do have an unusual situation, the difference generally isn't that big. That being said, we all have our threshold regarding how much effort we will put in to save a buck; I will gladly go across the street to save $5+.
+1

I'm always amazed at how many people seemingly don't care at all about a $.10 or even $.20/gallon price difference in gas as evidenced by them frequenting the higher priced gas station than the cheaper one on the other side of the street or just down the block.
The Sensible Steward
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

Out west it's Costco and Sinclair as far as what I've seen.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

[edited]
Last edited by Valuethinker on Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Johny Fever wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:45 am You might just also consider that many of us have tanks on the farm but we do buy and pay for the road ready fuel as we use MAYBE 5% the fuel on the farm but want the ability to fuel at home as well. I am not gonna drive my tractors 8 miles to get fuel. Getting caught with the dye in your tank is a VERY steep fine here anyway.
Interesting. I didn't know road-ready fuel was required in non-plated vehicles like tractors. This suburban boy learned something new today.
:sharebeer
Valuethinker wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:15 am It's also true that a lot of women appear to have different thermo-regulation, sometimes quite poor (by male standards). Perhaps because they have smaller bodies, but also different metabolisms.
What I've read is that it's a combination of smaller bodies (higher surface-area to mass ratio), and blood vessels being slightly closer to the skin.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

[edited]
Johndoefire65

Post by Johndoefire65 »

Look for blender pumps. I get E50 for $4 or less and get 40mpg with my car. Most modern vehicles will do E30-E50 no problem. (Unless you have a turbo, then E20)