How long is prudent to keep an estate account open?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
ddbtoth

How long is prudent to keep an estate account open?

Post by ddbtoth »

I am the executor of my mother’s estate. All estate activities are in Tx. She died 6/20/2021, all portions of the estate have been sold and distributed to the heirs. The last medical bill was 3 months ago. Other than the magazine subscriptions that keep coming through after I tell them to cancel, all other debts have been paid (I only respond to the magazine requests for money with a demand of proof of debt- one actually said she re-upped while she was dead). The only assets are a gas lease which has now been changed over t9 the beneficiaries names.
Any reason to keep it open after a year? The billing departments from some of the magazines are predatory in nature, sending out multiple offers either demanding payments or saying sign up again because we trusted you.
How long can mysterious medical bills just show up and expect to be legally paid (some MD walked by my mothers chart and charged $800 for a 5 minute consultation fee- after I had placed her in hospice and juiced her with morphine while her organs where dying from anoxia, never saw that professional.