Anyone check into Cue COVID testing? NOT MEDICAL ADVICE PLEASE

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Anyone check into Cue COVID testing? NOT MEDICAL ADVICE PLEASE

Post by TomatoTomahto »

This week, my wife visited NYC and our son. He had a Cue COVID tester which provides PCR nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) results in 20 minutes or less. The device and tests are expensive, but I wonder if anyone on the Forum has experience with them (or similar).

Please note that I’m not asking for medical advice. If it matters, please assume that my wife and I are at elevated risk for COVID complications and that we are double vaxxed and boostered.

His employer provided the tests and I believe that Google also does that. We would be doing this on our own nickel.

https://cuehealth.com/products/how-cue- ... lsrc=aw.ds

Edited to fix false characterization as a PCR test.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Fri May 27, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
7eight9

Re: Anyone check into Cue COVID testing? NOT MEDICAL ADVICE PLEASE

Post by 7eight9 »

Cue is a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) not a PCR (polymerase chain reaction).
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

This is going to be an impossible discussion without going into medical advice. You don't need internet strangers to search pubmed for you but here is a study that seems to be free of financial conflicts of interest:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... f/main.pdf
Missed about 9% of positives. Small sample.

Everyone has to determine their own risk tolerance, but the difference between types of tests is like the difference between types of bonds. Not meaningless but probably less important than things you can more easily and completely control (stock/bond allocation being the metaphor for masks/avoidance/etc).
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

A 9% false negative rate means that this particular test has very poor sensitivity.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

veggivet wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:29 pm A 9% false negative rate means that this particular test has very poor sensitivity.
I can Google this myself, but do you know what comparable “test at home” results are?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:32 pm
veggivet wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:29 pm A 9% false negative rate means that this particular test has very poor sensitivity.
I can Google this myself, but do you know what comparable “test at home” results are?
Variable, but have been reported as low at 80%. But you can't just say 91% (or even 80%) sensitivity is "poor" in a vacuum. If you're testing 2000 people before they get on a cruise ship you don't want too many false negatives. If you are seeing a small group of vaccinated asymptomatic people then it doesn't matter as much.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Topic locked for moderator review.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Upon further review, this thread will remain locked. Questioning the accuracy of test results constitutes medical advice. See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.