Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2023!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
mhc

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2023!

Post by mhc »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:40 am

Congratulations mhc and a Big Welcome to this Stupendous Retirement Roll Call and the Class of 2023 🎉 🎉 You stuck with the tech and the company and now you can enjoy all the benefits of a wonderful retirement.

We wish you all good things, launch those kids, get out and explore new vistas and new social events, plan those vacations and get out and enjoy this beautiful world, and stay in touch with family and friends :happy
Miriam,

thank you. You are the best.

It has been two weeks, and retirement is great. It is so nice to slow down and enjoy everything. Last Friday I was able to go on a hike with my dog. It was so nice to be able to just sit down and enjoy lunch in nature with my dog.

Friends keep taking me out to eat to celebrate. Life is good.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

mhc wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:55 am
Miriam2 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:40 am Congratulations mhc and a Big Welcome to this Stupendous Retirement Roll Call and the Class of 2023 🎉 🎉 You stuck with the tech and the company and now you can enjoy all the benefits of a wonderful retirement.

We wish you all good things, launch those kids, get out and explore new vistas and new social events, plan those vacations and get out and enjoy this beautiful world, and stay in touch with family and friends :happy
mhc wrote:Miriam,
thank you. You are the best. <== thanks! I'm gonna tell my kids and husband :D

It has been two weeks, and retirement is great. It is so nice to slow down and enjoy everything. Last Friday I was able to go on a hike with my dog. It was so nice to be able to just sit down and enjoy lunch in nature with my dog. <== delightful story and images

Friends keep taking me out to eat to celebrate. Life is good. <== KEEP THOSE FRIENDS!!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

pizzy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:05 pmI wish....
.... you'll get there :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Longruninvestor wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:36 am 2023 marks my 56th trip around the sun and I just yanked the retirement rip cord. As I was on my way out, my megacorp extended an early retirement offer and I managed to snag one. Many have told me that 56 is too young to retire but I am doing it anyway, ha. I have heath insurance through my former company with a decent premium subsidy and a pension I can pull now or wait and take a higher monthly benefit later —it goes up roughly 5% every year until 65. At present I’m thinking that a lower tax bracket to stuff more Roth conversions in is a good incentive to wait. My spouse is 55 and has no plan to retire anytime soon.
We agree - HA! No way is 56 too young to retire! Looks like you have good plans, might as well make those future trips around the sun with less stress and more fun 8-)

Welcome to the Bogleheads Retirement Roll Call and this Sunny Class of 2023 :D Keep us posted on your retirement adventures and how your Roth conversions go. Best wishes for a long happy retirement!
BogleFan84

Post by BogleFan84 »

jmk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:51 pm I'm getting ready to in July at 59, with wife continuing to work another four years till she's 57.

Funded ratio is 1.5 with 1.6 million.

But, getting cold feet. Having a nice spreadsheet is not the same as in real life pulling the trigger.
I've come to realize that retirement is more than being financially ready. I had a 2023 date (63'rd birthday), which I recently retracted with my employer. I and DW are healthy and ready financially (we've won the 'game'),but realized after 40 years of working I need to retire TO something; to be productive, to be serving and helping others, to have social connections that replace work relationships. I was not ready to face potential depression of a wrong decision to lead a life of self-indulgent leisure.
'It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future'
rbslos36

Post by rbslos36 »

This seems to be one of the smaller Retirement Roll Call years. I wonder if the market volatility has impacted people's decision.
DW and I are excited as we move ahead with our retirement plans.

For those contemplating retirement, I found Larry Swedroe's book, Your Complete Guide to a Successful & Secure Retirement very helpful. I have found listening to podcasts o retirement very interesting. The recordings of the 2022 Bogleheads Conference are a financial primer on wise investing. Lastly, I have enrolled in a couple of retirement groups that help keep me grounded. Figuring out retirement is a busy job!

RB
Steve723

Post by Steve723 »

BogleFan84 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:20 am
jmk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:51 pm I'm getting ready to in July at 59, with wife continuing to work another four years till she's 57.

But, getting cold feet. Having a nice spreadsheet is not the same as in real life pulling the trigger.
I've come to realize that retirement is more than being financially ready. I had a 2023 date (63'rd birthday), which I recently retracted with my employer. I and DW are healthy and ready financially (we've won the 'game'),but realized after 40 years of working I need to retire TO something; to be productive, to be serving and helping others, to have social connections that replace work relationships. I was not ready to face potential depression of a wrong decision to lead a life of self-indulgent leisure.
It looks like you previously had a 2022 date as well, no? There have been other threads on the retire TO something issue and what I learned is that a lot of folks didn't have it all figured out when they retired, but going ahead and retiring anyway gave them the space to figure things out. What makes you think you are going to have the retire TO something issue all figured out in another 6 or 12 months if your full time job continues to take time, focus, and energy? What will be different from before?

(BTW, if you love your job and the work you do, by all means keep on working! I'm just curious as to what steps you are taking to figure things out if you do plan to retire in the near future).
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

From houseofnine -
houseofnine wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:32 am At 55, I’ll be leaving my job/career at the end of this year. Does it count if I still want to do something else regardless of what it pays (if anything)? If yes, count me in! If no, no worries. Either way, congratulations to all!
Ahh, the Retirement Conundrum - when have we retired ???

The Retirement Roll Call uses our founding mother Lady Victoria's definition of "retirement" = there is no strict definition :D

According to the Lady, a Boglehead's inclusion in the Roll Call is based on self-reporting.

In other words, if you feel you are retired, even though you are still busy, doing temporary work, training your poor replacements for your irreplaceable position, engaged in easy work or a hobby, paid or unpaid or underpaid - when you feel you have punched out of the rat race - then you are retired :D

Houseofnine, you sound excited to be free at the end of this year, so sounds to me like a punch out of the rat race and a retirement in the works! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and joining the Retirement Class of 2023 :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

piper wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:04 pm Miriam, count me in as of feb 14th! I have been fortunate that this country has given me the opportunity and more importantly my parents the work ethic to achieve this goal. I wasn't sure if this was the year but ended up turning out that way. :sharebeer
What a great goal to achieve! Good productive work in a great country and now the opportunity to retire and enjoy life :D Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, piper, and hope you have fun with your classmates in the Retirement Class of 2023. Please let us know how your retirement goes and how you spend your free time. We wish you many good years ahead and many wonderful new experiences!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

mcregis wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:34 pm Hi,
Thanks for this community for the great and rich spectrum of information!
I just retired Feb 1st , 2023. 55 yrs old. Wife is retired too.
I am volunteering as tax prep with VITA, traveling next month, exercising daily.
Hi mcregis and a Big Welcome to the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2023! You're ON THE ROLL CALL 🎉 🎉

Nice retirement activities! We appreciate your tax help with VITA :happy Please let us know how you enjoy your traveling, where are you going?

We wish you all the best in your retirement, stay in shape, eat your veggies, enjoy sunrises and sunsets, wine with dinner and cookies with milk, and many good times with family and friends :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Ohh, the cold feet syndrome :annoyed We'll include you in this Class on the Roll Call with a Warm Welcome and hope your feet warm up! If you change your plans, please let us know and we'll simply reboot you 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LiketoHike wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:59 pm I guess I am in!
59 YO. Gave notice 5 weeks ago, my last day is Friday, March 3rd after 19 years with my current company and 30 years in the industry. Its sinking in and getting real now. Wife is currently semi-retired. Looking forward to this new chapter with nervous anticipation. Thank you Bogleheads for helping me get here! :sharebeer
What a nice post! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, LiketoHike, and to this Great Class of 2023 :beer

After 30 years in the industry and 19 years with your current company, a well-deserved retirement is a big event in life. Please let us know what you're up to and where you're going to hike. Best wishes for a wonderful time of life; we hope everything is what you wish it to be :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Orange44 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:26 am Today is my last day. 3/3/23. Thank you all. I plan to be on this board reading and posting for many years to come. :sharebeer
Congratulations, Orange44, on punching out of the rat race! And now for those heart-warming words - Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call :D You're in the Awesome Class of 2023.

Looking forward to reading your posts on the forum and finding out how you navigate financial storms :mrgreen:

We wish you a long and happy retirement :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here is the updated Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2023!

So far we have 12 Bogleheads who have retired and are enjoying their new freedom - way to go! 🎉 🎉

:D Already Graduated!! - Best wishes for a wonderful retirement!
01 Jan - Count If (age 65)
13 Jan - Houdini563 (63)
31 Jan - rich126
31 Jan - zincTwo

01 Feb - mcregis (55)
03 Feb - Longruninvestor (56)
14 Feb - piper
28 Feb - usa (57)
28 Feb - mhc (55)

03 Mar - LiketoHike (59)
03 Mar - Orange44
31 Mar - backofbeyond (57)

Our Upcoming Graduates - checking their spreadsheets & getting ready for this incredible time of life :beer
03 Apr - LakesandRivers
__ Apr - dcabler (61)
__ Apr - Jnick (67)

__ May - marcus213
__ May - saveinvestbecomefree (48)
__ May - Jack FFR1846

01 Jun - loghound (58)
01 Jun - sean.mcgrath (59)
02 Jun - Steve723 (54)
15 Jun - Zeno (59)
30 Jun - HENRYGRUGER (72)
__ Jun - BogleFan84 (63)
__ Jun - Cycling Duo [front seat] (65.5)
__ Jun - Bbddl (63)

01 Jul - rbslos36 (69)
01 Jul - A440
__ Jul - jmk (59)
__ Jul - AlwaysLearningMore

15 Aug - mrb09 (63)
__ Aug - baguette

29 Sep - BernardShakey
30 Sep - SuzBanyan (65)

31 Dec - L84SUPR (62)
31 Dec - AngelFIRE

__ ___ - chazas (62)
__ ___ - SurferLife (52)
__ ___ - 7eight9
__ ___ - DesertDiva (60)
__ ___ - MrsAllMostThere
__ ___ - cavuotoj
__ ___ - houseofnine (55)

The Infinity Retirement Class 8-)
HomerJ (class of 2021/2022 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .) <== don't give up HomerJ :happy

Please sign up if you wish to be part of this Retirement Class of 2023!
Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
A440

Post by A440 »

I gave my notice letter to director of personnel today. Official day of retirement will be July 1st! However, my last day will be when the school year ends in June. I'm looking forward to a summer break that never ends. :sharebeer
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
AlwaysLearningMore

Post by AlwaysLearningMore »

This is an inspirational thread for those of us about to turn the corner into the next stage of life. Thanks to Miriam for initiating it.

Gave my notice in November of last year, and will separate from paid work in July. Since starting work at my father's businesses in my preteen years, except for the years spent in school, have worked continuously (both in my own businesses, and for others) and thought I would want to work until late 60s or 70s. But now I'm simply counting the days, and hope they can find a replacement before I leave. But in any event I've told them I will not be extending my stay.

Taking the family on a cruise right after I retire.

Hoping to spend even more time learning about classic cuisines, and cooking for others (especially those less fortunate.)

Thanks to Mr. Bogle for changing the investment world as we know it. He has helped fund a lot of retirements, including mine. Thank you Mr. Bolgle!
Retirement is best when you have a lot to live on, and a lot to live for. * None of what I post is investment advice.* | FIRE'd July 2023
LakesandRivers

Post by LakesandRivers »

Hi Miriam - I’ve been eyeing these threads with envy for several years now and I can finally say I’d like to add myself to the list!

After working 21 years for the same company, an acquisition has finally forced my hand and my last day is Monday 4/3. Feeling maybe 1% nervous and 99% ecstatic and lucky.
Last edited by LakesandRivers on Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

I was hoping to add my name to the 2023 class, but decided to have my wife retire first at the end of this year, and I will follow next year. My idea is that I can best deal with OMY syndrome by simply deciding not to have any more birthdays, so I'm not preoccupied with how old I am getting and that everyone else my age or younger are already retired or retiring soon.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

A440 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:54 am I gave my notice letter to director of personnel today. Official day of retirement will be July 1st! However, my last day will be when the school year ends in June. I'm looking forward to a summer break that never ends. :sharebeer
Ok we re-booted you to July 1, 2023 - and how wonderful to begin a summer break that never ends and a retirement that is an Endless Summer 8-)

We wish you lots of fun and happiness in this new adventure :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

AlwaysLearningMore wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:10 am This is an inspirational thread for those of us about to turn the corner into the next stage of life. Thanks to Miriam for initiating it.

Thanks for the thanks! But I didn't create this Retirement Roll Call - I just took over when the creators retired and escaped on retirement adventures :mrgreen:

:arrow: Here is the Complete Retirement Roll Call series -

Link to Retirement Class of 1998

Link to Retirement Class of 2014

Link to Retirement Class of 2015

Link to Retirement Class of 2016

Link to Retirement Class of 2017

Link to Retirement Class of 2018

Link to Retirement Class of 2019

Link to Retirement Class of 2020

Link to Retirement Class of 2021

Link to Retirement Class of 2022

Link to Retirement Class of 2023

For anyone not on the Roll Call lists, it is never too late, just click on the applicable link and we'll add your name to the list!
Bbddl

Post by Bbddl »

I am one of the first to post in this group with an April retirement date of this year.

I have since changed my date till June or even mid July. That's definitely it though.

We have 20 day vacation planned for early August, visiting Iceland.

After Iceland we fly to Stockholm for a 10 day cruise which ends in Copenhagen.

This has become a rather expensive trip for the 4 of us....both kids coming along. I figure a few more weeks of salary would defer some of the cost of this trip...lol

Our daughter graduates from physician assistant school also in early August.

That's my update!!
Steve723

Post by Steve723 »

I just sent my resignation in today. I told my boss verbally last week, but finally sent the official letter today, so now it seems real!

Age - 54
Last day - June 2
Plans - I have to admit that I don't have the "retire to" thing completely figured out yet and that has been the biggest stumbling block, but this forum has influenced my thinking on this topic based on others' experience. Having tried to figure out the "retire to" stuff for years now without success while working, what is OMY going to change in this regard? By leaving full-time work, I will have plenty of time and space to figure out what's next.

So I am taking the leap! I believe that as long as one intends to find ways to engage and contribute, the opportunities will eventually present themselves. So I am going into this with patience and an open mind. Wish me luck and thank you to all of you that came before me and offered re-assurances in other threads.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

AlwaysLearningMore wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:10 am . . .
Gave my notice in November of last year, and will separate from paid work in July. Since starting work at my father's businesses in my preteen years, except for the years spent in school, have worked continuously (both in my own businesses, and for others) and thought I would want to work until late 60s or 70s. But now I'm simply counting the days, and hope they can find a replacement before I leave. But in any event I've told them I will not be extending my stay.

Taking the family on a cruise right after I retire.

Hoping to spend even more time learning about classic cuisines, and cooking for others (especially those less fortunate.)
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this Marvelous Class of 2023 :D You worked a long time and for sure it's now time for a long retirement. Great plans ahead - a family cruise, classic cuisines and cooking for those less fortunate. We wish you all the best for a wonderful retirement :happy
AlwaysLearningMore wrote:Thanks to Mr. Bogle for changing the investment world as we know it. He has helped fund a lot of retirements, including mine. Thank you Mr. Bogle!
We all agree, love that remarkable man :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LakesandRivers wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:11 pm Hi Miriam - I’ve been eyeing these threads with envy for several years now and I can finally say I’d like to add myself to the list!

After working 21 years for the same company, an acquisition has finally forced my hand and my last day is Monday 4/3. Feeling maybe 1% nervous and 99% ecstatic and lucky.
You're on the Class Roster, LakesandRivers! Hope your 1% nervous has melted into 100% ecstatic and lucky! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and the beginning of this glorious new phase of life :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:04 pm I was hoping to add my name to the 2023 class, but decided to have my wife retire first at the end of this year, and I will follow next year. My idea is that I can best deal with OMY syndrome by simply deciding not to have any more birthdays, so I'm not preoccupied with how old I am getting and that everyone else my age or younger are already retired or retiring soon.
Oh now that's a cool way to deal with OMY syndrome - and it has a great benefit in that since you never have birthdays, you never grow older :D And all those young folks who are retiring are still having birthdays and are by definition growing older - so they're not getting any "age value" out of retiring! Anyway - when you decide to punch out, you know where to find us.
nanciT

Post by nanciT »

Mariam

We have decided to jump off April 2023 and try this again in June 2024. So I guess we will be looking for the 2024 thread. It's a tough decision!! But I am sure June 2024 will be the date!!
Jnick55

Post by Jnick55 »

I've been reading these roll call threads for more than a decade, gleaning thoughts from others for the day when my own retirement would start. That day came abruptly for me last week when I was terminated as part of a management shake-up. My employment termination does not take effect for several months, but in the meantime I have no further job duties to perform and none are expected of me. Being shoved abruptly into retirement at age 67 has given me the unanticipated financial benefit of severance but with no opportunity to have been able to prepare immediate plans for filling my time. Fortunately my wife and I are well prepared financially, in large part because of the financial planning lessons I learned from regular reading of this invaluable website. And working remotely throughout the pandemic has greatly softened the surprise for me of being ejected from the office and for my wife of having me at home "for better or worse but not for lunch". Still, I recognize that I will need to develop routines and structure for my new life. That's a process I am working through now.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Bbddl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:38 am I am one of the first to post in this group with an April retirement date of this year.

I have since changed my date till June or even mid July. That's definitely it though.

We have 20 day vacation planned for early August, visiting Iceland.

After Iceland we fly to Stockholm for a 10 day cruise which ends in Copenhagen.

This has become a rather expensive trip for the 4 of us....both kids coming along. I figure a few more weeks of salary would defer some of the cost of this trip...lol

Our daughter graduates from physician assistant school also in early August.

That's my update!!
That's a great update, Bbddl :D Welcome to the 2023 Retirement Roll Call! We'll reboot you until June and you can update the reboot whenever you wish.

Nice plans - and for sure, having a little extra money won't hurt, haha! in fact, having been there/done that with kids, having a lot of extra money will really help :mrgreen: Best wishes for what looks like an uplifting and pleasurable retirement with family and a world of adventure!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Steve723 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:53 pm I just sent my resignation in today. I told my boss verbally last week, but finally sent the official letter today, so now it seems real!
Ohh good! Hope you told him: "Thanks for the pay and the 401k, but I'm outta here" :beer
Steve723 wrote:Age - 54
Last day - June 2
Plans - I have to admit that I don't have the "retire to" thing completely figured out yet and that has been the biggest stumbling block, but this forum has influenced my thinking on this topic based on others' experience. Having tried to figure out the "retire to" stuff for years now without success while working, what is OMY going to change in this regard? By leaving full-time work, I will have plenty of time and space to figure out what's next.
Ohh the "what to retire to thing" :annoyed

Some advice from Charlie Munger, back when he was age 93: "If you've got anything you really want to do, don't wait until you're 93."

And from forum member GreatOdinsRaven: "Ask yourself: What do I want out of my personal life that I have or have not been able to achieve while working?"

Here's a suggestion from Jonathan Clements: "Spend your days doing what you are passionate about and your evenings with friends and family."

And here are some Bogleheads threads on this topic -

What's your usual retirement day like?
If you were retired, how would you spend your time?
What will you do when you retire?
Life in Retirement - what did you do today?
Steve723 wrote:So I am taking the leap! I believe that as long as one intends to find ways to engage and contribute, the opportunities will eventually present themselves. So I am going into this with patience and an open mind. Wish me luck and thank you to all of you that came before me and offered re-assurances in other threads.
Sounds perfectly do-able :wink: We wish you all the best and all the luck, keep your patience with you and your open mind open for opportunities and we know you'll find a good and meaningful retirement for yourself. Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! :D
Longruninvestor

Post by Longruninvestor »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:51 pm
Longruninvestor wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:36 am 2023 marks my 56th trip around the sun and I just yanked the retirement rip cord. As I was on my way out, my megacorp extended an early retirement offer and I managed to snag one. Many have told me that 56 is too young to retire but I am doing it anyway, ha. I have heath insurance through my former company with a decent premium subsidy and a pension I can pull now or wait and take a higher monthly benefit later —it goes up roughly 5% every year until 65. At present I’m thinking that a lower tax bracket to stuff more Roth conversions in is a good incentive to wait. My spouse is 55 and has no plan to retire anytime soon.
We agree - HA! No way is 56 too young to retire! Looks like you have good plans, might as well make those future trips around the sun with less stress and more fun 8-)

Welcome to the Bogleheads Retirement Roll Call and this Sunny Class of 2023 :D Keep us posted on your retirement adventures and how your Roth conversions go. Best wishes for a long happy retirement!
Miriam, I neglected to include my retirement date. It was Feb 3, 2023.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Longruninvestor wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:04 am Miriam, I neglected to include my retirement date. It was Feb 3, 2023.
OK thanks - I included your retirement rip-cord yanking date!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

nanciT wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:29 pm We have decided to jump off April 2023 and try this again in June 2024. So I guess we will be looking for the 2024 thread. It's a tough decision!! But I am sure June 2024 will be the date!!
Will do - and if I forget to include you in the 2024 Roll Call, please post your new dates on the Roll Call for 2024, unless you forget, and then we'll both need help! Enjoy your countdown year of work, and remember, the paycheck adds to the pot 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Jnick55 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:27 pm I've been reading these roll call threads for more than a decade, gleaning thoughts from others for the day when my own retirement would start. That day came abruptly for me last week when I was terminated as part of a management shake-up. My employment termination does not take effect for several months, but in the meantime I have no further job duties to perform and none are expected of me.
Hi Jnick and welcome to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call and the Class of 2023!

Sorry you had to arrive here via management shake-up and termination :shock: it sure must have been stressful and upsetting and we send you our hang-in-there wishes. But hey - you're here! And what a wonderful new life you'll have ahead of you as part of the Active Retired Class :D
Jnick55 wrote:Being shoved abruptly into retirement at age 67 has given me the unanticipated financial benefit of severance but with no opportunity to have been able to prepare immediate plans for filling my time. Fortunately my wife and I are well prepared financially, in large part because of the financial planning lessons I learned from regular reading of this invaluable website. And working remotely throughout the pandemic has greatly softened the surprise for me of being ejected from the office and for my wife of having me at home "for better or worse but not for lunch". Still, I recognize that I will need to develop routines and structure for my new life. That's a process I am working through now.
Well it's good you have that unanticipated financial benefit of severance and don't underestimate how important it is that your family is well prepared financially for this. But here is my suggestion about not having an opportunity to prepare immediate plans for filling your time ==>

See above thread ^^^ to your classmate Steve723 :D Lots of good reading and advice helping us through this time of wandering in the retirement wilderness of endless empty space, with no schedules to guide our day, no morning alarm clock or lunch break and no Sunday evening angst about Monday morning work, no reports, projects or deadlines to meet, no coordinating work-life with home-life . . . you get the picture :happy

But that's all great and you'll find retirement a wonderful time to create your new life!

And also, you could probably spend at least 8 hours each day here on the Bogleheads forum, so that should help take up most of your day and tide you over through the "for better or worse but not for lunch" phase :mrgreen:
usa

Post by usa »

Well, I did it. I retired on 2/28. Just got first pension DD. Very fortunate to have a DB plan, along with a DC plan. Busier than ever now!
Miriam2 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:31 am
usa wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:27 pm Hi everyone. I will now retire 2/28/23. I will be 57 with 31 years federal service. While I'm jealous of my CSRS colleagues with their much more generous pension plans, from what I can tell, after putting in the maximum amount for 30 years, I'm in the top 1 percent of TSP balances - - I'm my fine.
Hi usa! Thanks for checking into the 2023 Retirement Class. You're on the Retirement Roll Call 8-)

Ok, 31 years federal service is good work and now time to enjoy retirement. Pensions go a long way :mrgreen: Hope you have a wonderful retirement with lots of fun and plenty of relaxation!
peke9898

Post by peke9898 »

Hi Miriam,
I was laid-off on 01/17/23 at 62. I worked in IT and it has been challenging to find another job. I have accepted unexpected retirement now. I will keep myself busy with hiking, sewing and looking for a smaller home to downsize. My husband will work another 3 years.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: BH zoom meeting- Evening with Mel Lindauer- Sun April 30, 2023- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello Upcoming Retirees and those already retired or who want to retire or who dream of retiring :D

We're delighted the next Bogleheads zoom meeting is "An Evening with Mel Lindauer" :D hosted by the Bogleheads "Retired Life Stage Chapter" tonight, Sunday April 30, 2023, from 8:00 - 10:00 pm ET.

Mel has been, along with Taylor Larimore, the guiding force of the Bogleheads since 1998, leading first the Vanguard Diehards, and now the Bogleheads forum, where he and Taylor have combined to contribute well over an incredible 85,000 posts helping small investors learn the Boglehead way to invest with Jack Bogle's investing philosophy. Jack Bogle dubbed Mel "the Prince of the Bogleheads," and a true prince he is: always willing to help others with their personal financial questions.

Mel will share his Bogleheads perspectives and there will be ample time for everyone to ask questions and discuss financial topics. The meeting will not be recorded.

We'll ask him about Mel's Unloved Midcaps :D

Here is the zoom link and the full link is posted on the BH Calendar of Events.

Good reading about Mel!
Bogleheads Wiki: Mel Lindauer
Champions of the Small Investor

Thanks to the "Retired Life Stage Chapter Coordinators" for organizing this special meeting :happy
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

The end (last day) is approaching and I'm much better prepared now than when I tried to go into retirement over a year ago. DW grew up in a very blue collar household with a dad who worked in a steel mill that shut down and was out of work for most of the years she was in college. Both of us paid our own ways through college (both private colleges in the northeast, but pre-Reagan so much cheaper than today) and we both lived over a decade like students. She's left her work but looking at ACA prices has been furiously looking for a job. I finally had to go overboard because she didn't seem to absorb that we have double the 25 times spending saved. I finally said "If you go back to work, I'll be at the Ferrari dealer and I'll spend at least $300 on a new Ferrari. I've kept to that threat. She's also taking SS at 62 which she turns next week. She's sort of accepted that the SS payments can go to ACA premiums.

On my side, I've been working with a medicare agent and am about ready to go. Last day is June 23rd with last insurance coverage day being June 30th. So with a LOT of work, between my agent and my completed homework with my long list of prescriptions, we found the best solution. It will still be expensive and for those who talk about how cheap Medicare is, I'll continue to laugh or give a dirty work. Even with an application for reduced rates because I'm only working 1/2 year, I don't expect a ton of discount this year. Next year, I'll be in control, doing limited Roth conversions and selling dividend producing ETFs in taxable. I did base or SS times on opensocialsecurity and once I understood the correct way to determine PIA, got the numbers to match. I'll wait to 70 and until then be Roth converting. Well, I suppose all the way to 72 to try to reduce what the RMDs are then.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

usa wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:39 pm Well, I did it. I retired on 2/28. Just got first pension DD. Very fortunate to have a DB plan, along with a DC plan. Busier than ever now!
Miriam2 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:31 am
usa wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:27 pm Hi everyone. I will now retire 2/28/23. I will be 57 with 31 years federal service. While I'm jealous of my CSRS colleagues with their much more generous pension plans, from what I can tell, after putting in the maximum amount for 30 years, I'm in the top 1 percent of TSP balances - - I'm my fine.
Hi usa! Thanks for checking into the 2023 Retirement Class. You're on the Retirement Roll Call 8-)

Ok, 31 years federal service is good work and now time to enjoy retirement. Pensions go a long way :mrgreen: Hope you have a wonderful retirement with lots of fun and plenty of relaxation!
Congratulations! 🎉 🎉
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

peke9898 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:41 pm I was laid-off on 01/17/23 at 62. I worked in IT and it has been challenging to find another job. I have accepted unexpected retirement now. I will keep myself busy with hiking, sewing and looking for a smaller home to downsize. My husband will work another 3 years.
Hi peke9898 and welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Roll Call and the Retirement Class of 2023! You're in the class and no matter how you got here - you're gonna love it :D Enjoy the sunny side of the street.

You know - even as a member of the Retired Class, you'll still have plenty of IT opportunities helping your family, friends, neighbors - everyone - with their IT problems. I really don't know how people live without an in-house IT expert :confused

We like your retirement plans and hope everything turns out nicely for you and your family. Best wishes for a long, enjoyable retirement :beer
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:37 pm
sean.mcgrath wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:51 pm I just looked back at my 2022 post -- promise it's for real this time!

Please pencil me in for June 1st.

Finances look more than fine.

I've been planning this for quite a while: travel, more time at our cottage in Michigan, sailing in Greece and the Great Lakes. It's good that travel is back -- we haven't been to our cottage for three (!) years.

Also, my wife has started a business to produce and distribute a board game that she designed (she has made many over the years). The next few years will see me helping out and having fun together on that adventure.
OK sean! We penciled you in for your new date, new year - it's ok, you can come back as often as you want to enjoy hearing those magical words: "Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call!" :D You're in the new class, the Intrepid Class of 2023.

We enjoy hearing about your retirement plans and we hope everything turns out perfect. Enjoy this next year of planning and preparing :D
Hi Miriam,
It looks for real this time: resignation letter submitted, successor on board, one retirement dinner down, two to go. For the first time in memory, my work e-mail inbox is empty. June 1st is indeed the date.

Plans, on the other hand, have shifted a bit. My wife has put her board game business on indefinite hold -- a bit of a shame; we'll see what happens. I have meanwhile registered for a BA degree in English Literature! It started out as a fanciful idea and gradually took over. A big change from my 30+ years in semiconductors, and I'm very excited. It does mean that after twenty-five years of being restricted by the kids' school vacation periods, we'll now be restricted by mine. :- /

New phase of life, new adventures...
marshall

Post by marshall »

Well, It's official. I have given notice at work and will be exiting in about 8 weeks. In a previous post, I communicated my goal at age 23 (as a recent college grad) was to retire at age 55. It looks like I will be retiring from the corporate world a year earlier than initially planned (at age 54).

I have learned a lot over the years about personal finance. I am very thankful for this site. My favorite tools to logic check retirement preparedness are (1) Fidelity Retirement Planner and (2) cFIREsim. I appreciate that both incorporate future income streams (pension, social security, etc.) into SWR analysis. It's also helpful to have a historical view (cFIREsim) and Monte Carlo simulations (Fidelity).

In retirement, I do plan to work a few hours a week on an entrepreneurial endeavor that brings in some income. I am absolutely looking forward to having more control over my time.

As I look back, I was passionate about financial independence starting in my early 20's. I feel fortunate to have been thinking about personal finance at a young age. I believe this was primarily driven by growing up in poverty and a desire to make good personal finance decisions.

My primary retirement planning strategy during my career was to maximize 401K contributions. The money was taken out pre-tax which forced us to live on what was remaining. I have encouraged my grown children to follow a similar path.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:51 am The end (last day) is approaching and I'm much better prepared now than when I tried to go into retirement over a year ago. . . . I've been working with a Medicare agent and am about ready to go. Last day is June 23rd with last insurance coverage day being June 30th.
Congratulations Jack FFR1846 and a Big Welcome to this Stupendous Retirement Class of 2023 - You're ON THE ROLL CALL !! :D
Jack FFR1846 wrote: So with a LOT of work, between my agent and my completed homework with my long list of prescriptions, we found the best solution. It will still be expensive and for those who talk about how cheap Medicare is, I'll continue to laugh or give a dirty work. Even with an application for reduced rates because I'm only working 1/2 year, I don't expect a ton of discount this year.
Happy you found a solution and we hope you continue to find the best health policy for you. For sure, health insurance is that big elephant in the room and you're lucky to have found a good Medicare agent.
Jack FFR1846 wrote: DW grew up in a very blue collar household with a dad who worked in a steel mill that shut down and was out of work for most of the years she was in college. Both of us paid our own ways through college (both private colleges in the northeast, but pre-Reagan so much cheaper than today) and we both lived over a decade like students. She's left her work but looking at ACA prices has been furiously looking for a job. I finally had to go overboard because she didn't seem to absorb that we have double the 25 times spending saved. I finally said "If you go back to work, I'll be at the Ferrari dealer and I'll spend at least $300 on a new Ferrari. I've kept to that threat. She's also taking SS at 62 which she turns next week. She's sort of accepted that the SS payments can go to ACA premiums.

Many thanks for sharing your story 8-) I understand how it's difficult to absorb you have enough money saved for retirement that you can just pull the plug, especially after an early lifetime of difficult finances. We wish your family good success in retirement and it sounds like you have everything lined up perfectly in front of that Ferrari :wink:
Jack FFR1846 wrote:Next year, I'll be in control, doing limited Roth conversions and selling dividend producing ETFs in taxable. I did base or SS times on opensocialsecurity and once I understood the correct way to determine PIA, got the numbers to match. I'll wait to 70 and until then be Roth converting. Well, I suppose all the way to 72 to try to reduce what the RMDs are then.
Thanks for sharing your plans! Best wishes for a long and wonderful retirement with many new adventures, fun with friends and family, vacations and holidays, and above all, good health and wealth with the open road ahead :beer

Post by 8301 »

sean.mcgrath wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:52 am I have meanwhile registered for a BA degree in English Literature! It started out as a fanciful idea and gradually took over. A big change from my 30+ years in semiconductors, and I'm very excited.
Now you are a liberal arts major - a long way from lithography to literature. You will soon become a geuinely learned man. :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

sean.mcgrath wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:52 am It looks for real this time: resignation letter submitted, successor on board, one retirement dinner down, two to go. For the first time in memory, my work e-mail inbox is empty. June 1st is indeed the date.
Wow! What an exciting time! And three retirement dinners :shock: you must be a very important employee! Well, so much for that - now you're really going to get started on the most pleasurable part of your life, reaping all the benefits of all that work, and btw, thanks for all the semiconductors :D
sean.mcgrath wrote:Plans, on the other hand, have shifted a bit. My wife has put her board game business on indefinite hold -- a bit of a shame; we'll see what happens. I have meanwhile registered for a BA degree in English Literature! It started out as a fanciful idea and gradually took over. A big change from my 30+ years in semiconductors, and I'm very excited. It does mean that after twenty-five years of being restricted by the kids' school vacation periods, we'll now be restricted by mine. :- /

New phase of life, new adventures...
Oh that's for sure - "New phase of life, new adventures . . ." - I like your take on this! You have an exciting and ambitious retirement activity planned - sounds divine learning English Literature and we hope everything turns out great and you ace every exam 8-)
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and we wish you a truly happy, healthy and enjoyable retirement :sharebeer
Texflier

Post by Texflier »

Last day was today - May 15, 2023 - 38 years at a financial company (in technology area).

In retirement: Improve health/diet, be active in community and volunteer (starting in 2024).

I must thank the Boglehead community for the constant support through this site for the past 8+ years - it has been an invaluable resource for me to optimize my retirement planning.

thanks
Texflier
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

8301 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:58 am
sean.mcgrath wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:52 am I have meanwhile registered for a BA degree in English Literature! It started out as a fanciful idea and gradually took over. A big change from my 30+ years in semiconductors, and I'm very excited.
Now you are a liberal arts major - a long way from lithography to literature. You will soon become a geuinely learned man. :beer
I agree! We're looking forward to many BH posts from the New Genuinely Learned Man- Sean Mcgrath :D
chazas

Post by chazas »

At this point I’m guessing it’s 25% chance of end of this year, 75% chance end of 2024. I won’t know until I get to the end of the year and see what they’re willing to pay me for one more year. Jealous of all those who have pulled the trigger!
Miriam2 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:24 pm Image

So far we have 12 Bogleheads who have retired and are enjoying their new freedom - way to go! 🎉 🎉

13 Jan - Houdini563 (63)
31 Jan - rich126
31 Jan - zincTwo

01 Feb - mcregis (55)
14 Feb - piper
28 Feb - usa (57)
28 Feb - mhc (55)

03 Mar - LiketoHike (59)
03 Mar - Orange44

Our Upcoming Graduates - checking their spreadsheets & getting ready for this incredible time of life :beer
03 Apr - LakesandRivers
__ Apr - dcabler (61)
__ Apr - Jnick (67)

__ May - marcus213
__ May - Jack FFR1846

01 Jun - loghound (58)
02 Jun - Steve723 (54)
15 Jun - Zeno (59)
__ Jun - BogleFan84 (63)
__ Jun - Bbddl (63)

01 Jul - rbslos36 (69)
01 Jul - A440
__ Jul - jmk (59)

15 Aug - mrb09 (63)
__ Aug - baguette

29 Sep - BernardShakey
30 Sep - SuzBanyan (65)

31 Dec - L84SUPR (62)
31 Dec - AngelFIRE

__ ___ - chazas (62)
__ ___ - SurferLife (52)
__ ___ - 7eight9
__ ___ - DesertDiva (60)
__ ___ - MrsAllMostThere
__ ___ - cavuotoj

HomerJ (class of 2021/2022 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .) <== don't give up HomerJ :happy

SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

rbslos36 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:48 am This seems to be one of the smaller Retirement Roll Call years. I wonder if the market volatility has impacted people's decision.
DW and I are excited as we move ahead with our retirement plans.

For those contemplating retirement, I found Larry Swedroe's book, Your Complete Guide to a Successful & Secure Retirement very helpful. I have found listening to podcasts o retirement very interesting. The recordings of the 2022 Bogleheads Conference are a financial primer on wise investing. Lastly, I have enrolled in a couple of retirement groups that help keep me grounded. Figuring out retirement is a busy job!

RB
What were some of the more important things you learned from that book? I'm wondering if it'd be a relevant purchase for our situation. We are in the class of 2023 in that we are retiring from megacorp to start a homestead/farm. In a few years we will have some small income streams that are from the farm, but generally speaking, we will not be hard-pressed to earn any income. Our biggest challenge will be to control our spending as farms can take a lot of money to get started.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:24 pm Image

13 Jan - Houdini563 (63)
31 Jan - rich126
31 Jan - zincTwo

01 Feb - mcregis (55)
14 Feb - piper
28 Feb - usa (57)
28 Feb - mhc (55)

03 Mar - LiketoHike (59)
03 Mar - Orange44

03 Apr - LakesandRivers
__ Apr - dcabler (61)
__ Apr - Jnick (67)

__ May - marcus213
__ May - Jack FFR1846

01 Jun - loghound (58)
02 Jun - Steve723 (54)
15 Jun - Zeno (59)
__ Jun - BogleFan84 (63)
__ Jun - Bbddl (63)

01 Jul - rbslos36 (69)
01 Jul - A440
__ Jul - jmk (59)

15 Aug - mrb09 (63)
__ Aug - baguette

29 Sep - BernardShakey
30 Sep - SuzBanyan (65)

31 Dec - L84SUPR (62)
31 Dec - AngelFIRE

__ ___ - chazas (62)
__ ___ - SurferLife (52)
__ ___ - 7eight9
__ ___ - DesertDiva (60)
__ ___ - MrsAllMostThere
__ ___ - cavuotoj

Miriam, I saw that you didn't have a date for me, but we have solidified that now... Pencil us in for 18 Aug 2023. It looks like we'll squeeze it in at age 51! It feels like we've always been behind in our financial planning, but it appears as though we will be some of the younger ones in the class and we are grateful for that. My military retirement really helped hedge my poor financial planning in my younger years.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

SurferLife wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:25 am Miriam, I saw that you didn't have a date for me, but we have solidified that now... Pencil us in for 18 Aug 2023. It looks like we'll squeeze it in at age 51! It feels like we've always been behind in our financial planning, but it appears as though we will be some of the younger ones in the class and we are grateful for that. My military retirement really helped hedge my poor financial planning in my younger years.
OK thanks for the update, we'll include that on the new roster, and congratulations on squeezing in at age 51. And you're not the only Bogleheads who felt behind due to poor financial planning in the younger years - those younger years were really fun! 8-)