Ally Online Savings/Money Market Rate Increases

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
anon_investor

Re: Ally now 1.4

Post by anon_investor »

zaplunken wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:39 pm
anon_investor wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:34 pm
zaplunken wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:29 pm
SmileyFace wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:37 am Marcus by Goldman Sachs. 1.5% and same day transfers (versus Ally which takes up to 3 days).
Lots of other threads on this BTW
Ally does over night transfers whether into Ally from local bank or out of Ally to local bank. As long as you schedule the transfer by IIRC 7 pm ET the transfer is done the next morning ETA must be a business day not a holiday or weekend. If Ally is requiring 3 days to transfer money I suspect you caused them a problem - I did a transfer that would not work is one way to run afoul of this. I transferred from my local bank to Ally but I forgot to deduct a check and had less in the account than I was transferring. Ally punished me for 1 full year with 3 day transfers and I had well over $100k at Ally at the time. Maybe new accounts can't have overnight transfers until they've been an Ally customer for some period of time?
I think the transfer time is not overnight if it is a newly added linked bank using the micro deposit tests. I linked a new checking account that way and ACH is not overnight. Ally's FAQ says it will become overnight after an unspecified number of successful transfers.
I see. I have been at Ally for probably well over 10, perhaps 15 years. The vast majority of that time I believe I have had overnight transfers. It's been so long that I don't even remember the 3 day transfers but I do recall when I was changed to overnight but it must have been a long time ago. I can see them initially using 3 days. Maybe it takes a couple of dozen transfers and or 6 months to show them you aren't careless?
I think so, I have been with Ally also over a decade. And I do remember at some point they made a big deal about having overnight transfers. But at that point I had linked accounts for years. I linked a new account last year, but only made a couple of transfers to it so far, so it looks like it still takes 2 days to transfer. My other external checking account linked for over a decade is overnight.
MikeG62

Re: Ally Online Savings Rate Increase

Post by MikeG62 »

leonidas wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:55 am CFG Bank has a 2.10% MMF plus some pretty good CD rates.

CFG High Yield Money Market Online and in Branch - 2.10%
36 Month CD Online and in Branch -3.55%
60 Month CD Online and in Branch -3.65%

I setup a 5 year CD 3 years ago when the rates were about 3.25%
The 3 Year seems like a pretty good deal if CD's are in your plans.

Here is a list:
https://www.cfg.bank/personal-banking/p ... sit-rates/
These yields are quite good - especially the CD yields. 3.55% for 36 month is 74bps above the 36-month Treasury currently at 2.81%. EWP is 180 days. The 5-year CD is even better at 3.65% vs. comparable term Treasury at 2.69%. Color me tempted.

High yield MM account rate is good too, although one can do a little better in short-term T-Bills.

No deal stoppers on Deposit Accounts website that I can find.

Leonidas, do you do business with them? Anyone else with experience with this bank?
Last edited by MikeG62 on Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I've recently noticed at Ally that if I schedule an external transfer out for a future date, it takes 2 business days, but if I manually submit it, it takes 1 business day (next day). This is for transfers to other banks that I do monthly.
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

SmileyFace wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:37 am Marcus by Goldman Sachs. 1.5% and same day transfers (versus Ally which takes up to 3 days).
Ally does over night transfers whether into Ally from local bank or out of Ally to local bank. As long as you schedule the transfer by IIRC 7 pm ET the transfer is done the next morning ETA must be a business day not a holiday or weekend. If Ally is requiring 3 days to transfer money I suspect you caused them a problem - I did a transfer that would not work is one way to run afoul of this. I transferred from my local bank to Ally but I forgot to deduct a check and had less in the account than I was transferring. Ally punished me for 1 full year with 3 day transfers and I had well over $100k at Ally at the time. Maybe new accounts can't have overnight transfers until they've been an Ally customer for some period of time?
I "caused them a problem"?? How??
The FAQ and Ts and Cs on Ally's site clearly state standard transfers are 3 days. From Ally:
Standard transfers between Ally Bank and non-Ally Bank accounts, requested before 1 am ET Monday – Friday, will take 3 business days.
From Marcus:
When you schedule a transfer of $100,000 or less through Marcus by 12 pm ET on a business day, Marcus will complete the transfer by 5 pm ET that day.
Higher interest rate - same day transfer versus 3 days - Marcus wins (unless you want online checking).
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

SmileyFace wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:55 pm
The FAQ and Ts and Cs on Ally's site clearly state standard transfers are 3 days. From Ally:
Standard transfers between Ally Bank and non-Ally Bank accounts, requested before 1 am ET Monday – Friday, will take 3 business days.
If you read my post I caused a problem when I tried to transfer $600 to Ally when I only had $300 in my checking account. That was the problem. I have no idea what you did or did not do, I was just providing an example of something that caused a problem and caused me to have a 3 day transfer timeframe for an entire year when for years I had an overnight timeframe. I've been back on overnight for 1 1/2 years. I have transferred money to and from Ally this month 3 or 4 times and it always was done the following day.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

Ally does some kind of algo to decide whether you get a next day transfer. IIRC there was some detail confirmed like you needed to have at least $100 transferred to/from the account within the past year or something like that. Don't quote me on the details; also this was a couple years ago and it may have changed since then. Also new bank links require some type of seasoning/aging period before you can get next day eligibility.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

zaplunken wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:07 pm
SmileyFace wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:55 pm
If you read my post I caused a problem when I tried to transfer $600 to Ally when I only had $300 in my checking account. That was the problem. I have no idea what you did or did not do, I was just providing an example of something that caused a problem and caused me to have a 3 day transfer timeframe for an entire year when for years I had an overnight timeframe. I've been back on overnight for 1 1/2 years. I have transferred money to and from Ally this month 3 or 4 times and it always was done the following day.
I was reacting to your statement where you said you suspected I caused a problem. I caused no such problem and consistently got 3 day transfers. And this is what it states is standard in their FAQ so I shouldn't expect any better. With Marcus - its consistently 1 day and is stated in their FAQ as much. I don't care for the Ally mystery.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

drg02b wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:49 am
MBB_Boy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:24 am
drg02b wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:19 pm Ally just bumped from 1.25% to 1.40% effective 7/29.

They're still not getting my VMFXX money back...
Especially not since SoFi was already 1.8 before Ally moved up to 1.4
I wouldn't trust SoFi with my money.
Really? Why not? They are FDIC insured, and even still bank failures are incredibly uncommon
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

MBB_Boy wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:57 am
drg02b wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:19 pm Ally just bumped from 1.25% to 1.40% effective 7/29.

Really? Why not? They are FDIC insured, and even still bank failures are incredibly uncommon
Not for bank failure... poor management, IT infrastructure, customer support. Besides, VMFXX 7d yield is now 1.84% and actually should be around 2.25% once a full week of Fed rates are factored in. VMFXX will always be a competitive rate, and its simpler than rate chasing. But really, the thread purpose is about noting Ally rate changes, so this is off topic now.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

I was positive you were wrong, I thought I checked this morning and VMFXX was 1.60% but I just looked and indeed it is 1.84%! :!:
shess

Post by shess »

I have to admit, getting an email from Ally saying "We're going to raise your rates to X% at the next full moon" is not as satisfying as getting an email from Alliant saying "We have raised your rates to X%". Honestly, I don't need either of them bragging on this kind of thing, but one feels more manipulative. Just raise the rates and move on.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

At this point I have money market options at Fidelity, Vanguard and Merrill Edge all paying over 1.4%. I plan to take any money from Ally I don't need for the next 2 months and buy 1mo T-Bill at this weeks auction, looks like it will be around 2.22% (state/local tax exempt).

Still nice to get 1.4% on money sitting in my Ally Savings account waiting to be pulled via ACH for scheduled CC and mortgage payments.
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

Ally moves from 1.4% to 1.6% effective tomorrow. Still chasing mediocre, but I'm sure they like the constant press while inching their rates up.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

drg02b wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:14 pm Ally moves from 1.4% to 1.6% effective tomorrow. Still chasing mediocre, but I'm sure they like the constant press while inching their rates up.
Better than nothing. I moved some money into money market funds paying over 2% and T-Bills this week.
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:07 pm
drg02b wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:14 pm Ally moves from 1.4% to 1.6% effective tomorrow. Still chasing mediocre, but I'm sure they like the constant press while inching their rates up.
Better than nothing. I moved some money into money market funds paying over 2% and T-Bills this week.
Oh yeah, I still have a small chunk of change in Ally Savings, but 90% of it is in VMFXX.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

drg02b wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:19 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:07 pm
Oh yeah, I still have a small chunk of change in Ally Savings, but 90% of it is in VMFXX.
Yeah, I am only keep money at Ally for upcoming bills. 1.6% is just enough for me to not want to bother to redo my bill payments out of my Fidelity account.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

MikeG62 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:02 pm
leonidas wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:55 am CFG Bank has a 2.10% MMF plus some pretty good CD rates.

Here is a list:
These yields are quite good - especially the CD yields. 3.55% for 36 month is 74bps above the 36-month Treasury currently at 2.81%. EWP is 180 days. The 5-year CD is even better at 3.65% vs. comparable term Treasury at 2.69%. Color me tempted.

High yield MM account rate is good too, although one can do a little better in short-term T-Bills.

Leonidas, do you do business with them? Anyone else with experience with this bank?
I just own the MMF and some CDs, no other business. I think they only have 2 branches in Maryland and you need to visit to open a checking account. Not sure about loans. I use Schwab for checking so and none of their other products stand out.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

leonidas wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:03 am
MikeG62 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:02 pm

Here is a list:

I just own the MMF and some CDs, no other business. I think they only have 2 branches in Maryland and you need to visit to open a checking account. Not sure about loans. I use Schwab for checking so and none of their other products stand out.
Thanks.

Apparently, they are swamped under a deluge of applications for new CD’s due to their top of the market rates. Lots of comments over at Deposit Accounts from people having issues opening accounts or even reaching rep’s over a CFG to discuss account opening issues. Phones ring and ring and when going to VM, people are getting replies that rep mail boxes are full. I tried to get them to send me their fee schedule a week ago, and got no reply (only way to obtain it is by e-mail) - which in and of itself is odd as one has to wonder why it’s not accessible from their web site.

Anyway, after reading those posts over at DA, I passed on opening this CD. Instead I hopped on the 33-month special CD NFCU is offering (3.30% yield). Already have a CD with them and was as simple as transferring funds over to my NFCU savings acount to find it.
rolex4

Post by rolex4 »

Wyth financial is at 2.25% interest. I have 14k emergency fund and I received $100 interest for 4 months
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! Is Wyeth Financial a Canadian bank?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Joybeejoy

Post by Joybeejoy »

PSECU has a CD special now posted. 20 months for 3 %.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Joybeejoy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:48 pm PSECU has a CD special now posted. 20 months for 3 %.
It is interesting and good to see they are back to offering a somewhat compelling rate. I purchased six different CD's from PSECU between Oct and Nov of 2019. Three matured in 2021 and the other three mature between Oct and Nov of this year.

Having said that, one could do better in a comparable term Treasury bill/note (current yield ~3.25% and it is state tax free).
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

Effective 8/17, Ally Savings/MMA accounts will earn 1.75%. (Raised from 1.6%)
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

I just got an email that says Ally is raising its rate to 1.75% now. Just not enough, I have already switch over to using a Fidelity CMA for my checking and keeping money in SPRXX which is currently earning 2.06%.
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

They are slowly adding .1% every two weeks. Other places like E*trade and wealthfront just cut to the chase and went right to 2%.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

drg02b wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:36 pm Effective 8/17, Ally Savings/MMA accounts will earn 1.75%. (Raised from 1.6%)

How long do you think it will take to get to 8% lol
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

They seem to always desperately increase the rates when I move some cash to Fidelity to invest in FZDXX (as I did yesterday). :P Too little too late, Ally.
Last edited by Eno Deb on Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

drg02b wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:36 pm Effective 8/17, Ally Savings/MMA accounts will earn 1.75%. (Raised from 1.6%)
Ally is still far below their competitors. Why would I think 1.75% is good when I can get 25 to 35 bp more? They must have rocks in their heads.
patrick

Post by patrick »

That makes them tied for 20th place among insured deposit accounts with no state restrictions, minimum balances, or maximum balances according to https://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-int ... gs-to-get/
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

zaplunken wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:52 pm
Ally is still far below their competitors. Why would I think 1.75% is good when I can get 25 to 35 bp more? They must have rocks in their heads.
Yeah, my mid-term savings already moved to T-Bills, using Fidelity CMA to pay bills (2.06% with SPRXX).
barnaby444

Post by barnaby444 »

And yet there's a 5-page thread on this website dedicated to Ally, and I don't see one for all those other competitors. If that's any indicator of their market share, they must be doing something right.
patrick

Post by patrick »

barnaby444 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:51 pm
And yet there's a 5-page thread on this website dedicated to Ally, and I don't see one for all those other competitors. If that's any indicator of their market share, they must be doing something right.
Chase pays 0.01% on savings and they have a much larger market share than Ally.
barnaby444

Post by barnaby444 »

patrick wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:53 pm
barnaby444 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:51 pm
Chase pays 0.01% on savings and they have a much larger market share than Ally.
Exactly.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged furwut's post into the ongoing discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Cobra Commander

Post by Cobra Commander »

patrick wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:58 pm
That makes them tied for 20th place among insured deposit accounts with no state restrictions, minimum balances, or maximum balances according to https://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-int ... gs-to-get/
I guess it just depends on whether they consistently have a high savings rate without gimmicks. For example, I looked into one bank some time ago and the rate you got was for a savings plus account but then when they increased rates they created a separate product called like a silver savings account and you would have to open a new account to get that higher rate. All of that is fine if you don't mind monitoring an account closely but I'd rather not play those types of games. But if the rates are consistently high and not intro rates I'd consider some of these options.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

A couple of years ago Ally had good rates on CDs and even the online savings account rate was good. I've moved all the money I had at Ally, except for $5k, to Vanguard. I've bought T bills and the Settlement Fund and the latter is probably a better option right now. That is liquid so if T bill rates go up you could buy some from the Settlement Fund, if you are in 30 or 60 day T bills and rates raise you're locked in unless you want to sell at a loss. The differences in these instruments are probably going to be competitive vis a vis each other, I just like the liquidity of the Settlement Fund for the past 5-6 weeks.
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

barnaby444 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:51 pmAnd yet there's a 5-page thread on this website dedicated to Ally, and I don't see one for all those other competitors. If that's any indicator of their market share, they must be doing something right.
I don't like hopping from bank to bank chasing interest rates. Ally's interest rates were never at the very top, but consistently close enough (while the banks offering the highest rates keep coming and going). Even now with the rapid rate increases at many banks I wouldn't open a new account just to get a few more basis points. But given that I have significantly better options now at my existing brokerage account, it's a no-brainer to reduce the cash I'm holding at Ally.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged espressofreak's post into the ongoing discussion.

Update: Based on member feedback, those posts have been moved back to their original thread.
barnaby444

Post by barnaby444 »

Eno Deb wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:39 pm
barnaby444 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:51 pmAnd yet there's a 5-page thread on this website dedicated to Ally, and I don't see one for all those other competitors. If that's any indicator of their market share, they must be doing something right.
I don't like hopping from bank to bank chasing interest rates. Ally's interest rates were never at the very top, but consistently close enough (while the banks offering the highest rates keep coming and going). Even now with the rapid rate increases at many banks I wouldn't open a new account just to get a few more basis points. But given that I have significantly better options now at my existing brokerage account, it's a no-brainer to reduce the cash I'm holding at Ally.
Right. And for a large portion of HYSA customers, brokerage accounts are not a suitable substitute. They don't have one already and are not going to set one up with, say, Wealthfront just for the extra 25 bp and sacrifice linked checking account, debit card, bill pay, Zelle, etc.
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

Yeah, I use Ally as it has best all-around banking services for what I need, plus they have a competitive rate. And for the last couple of years, it was hard to beat 0.5% savings. But that didn't stop me from moving the bulk of my savings to VMFXX once it became worthwhile.
KnightErrant

Post by KnightErrant »

It looks like Ally's CD rates went up also. The "No Penalty" CD APY is now listed as 2%, for example.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

KnightErrant wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:39 am It looks like Ally's CD rates went up also. The "No Penalty" CD APY is now listed as 2%, for example.
Usually the NP CD was the same rate as the online saving account. I assume the 1.75% is still the OLS rate? 2% for the NP CD is pretty good but my guess is that in a week or 2 the NP CD rate will be lagging again.
demdeah26

Post by demdeah26 »

drg02b wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:01 am

Not for bank failure... poor management, IT infrastructure, customer support. Besides, VMFXX 7d yield is now 1.84% and actually should be around 2.25% once a full week of Fed rates are factored in. VMFXX will always be a competitive rate, and its simpler than rate chasing. But really, the thread purpose is about noting Ally rate changes, so this is off topic now.
Anything behind those thoughts?

I use them for DD checking (which is now at 2%), taxable investing, and their CC.

Have never had technical issues and when I have had questions very quickly got in touch, via phone and chat, with US based customer service reps.

I would venture to say my overall experience with them has been better than Vanguard and equal to Truist, which was historically my primary bank.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

demdeah26 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:28 pm
drg02b wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:01 am

Anything behind those thoughts?

I use them for DD checking (which is now at 2%), taxable investing, and their CC.

Have never had technical issues and when I have had questions very quickly got in touch, via phone and chat, with US based customer service reps.

I would venture to say my overall experience with them has been better than Vanguard and equal to Truist, which was historically my primary bank.
SoFi does a lot of things better than bigger banks (Chase, BOA, etc), and I'm very impressed. SoFi is also generous with their new account bonus. I got at least $600-$700 from SoFi and swagbucks without breaking a sweat.

@drg02b must not be a happy customer.

I use SoFi just for HYSA and 3% credit card. Although when Vanguard money market account has better yield (2.11%), I moved my cash from SoFi to VMFXX.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

zaplunken wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:20 pmUsually the NP CD was the same rate as the online saving account. I assume the 1.75% is still the OLS rate? 2% for the NP CD is pretty good but my guess is that in a week or 2 the NP CD rate will be lagging again.
Historically the NP CD was usually slightly better than the savings account. I made heavy use of it in the last few years. But in the current environment of rapid rate increases it's probably difficult for the banks to keep up.
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

I've actually never used SoFi, but I've seen enough complaints online about their interface and lack of follow through on customer service that I don't see any reason to chase rates with them. One person had a large ACH transfer disappear and SoFi refused to investigate/blamed the other bank and their large sum money didn't re-appear for nearly a month until they filed a federal complaint. I almost signed up for their CC, but people consistently reported problems of transactions being declined (especially international, which would have been my primary use) and their customer service/IT/fraud people couldn't give an explanation. Sure they are probably on par with the legacy banks, but I've never had issues with Ally customer service (though they can be a bit slow at times).
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Eno Deb wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:55 pm
zaplunken wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:20 pmUsually the NP CD was the same rate as the online saving account. I assume the 1.75% is still the OLS rate? 2% for the NP CD is pretty good but my guess is that in a week or 2 the NP CD rate will be lagging again.
Historically the NP CD was usually slightly better than the savings account. I made heavy use of it in the last few years. But in the current environment of rapid rate increases it's probably difficult for the banks to keep up.
When interest rates were falling, I definitely opened up a bunch of NPCDs at Ally. However, right now even at 2% the NPCDs are lower than money market funds available to me at Vanguard, Fidelity and Merrill Edge. I already pulled the bulk of my cash out of Ally and have it in money market funds paying over 2%.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

I am getting 2.4% on T-bills for 8 week durations. No way I would do the 2% NP CD.
This coming from a long-time Ally customer.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:15 pm
Eno Deb wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:55 pm
When interest rates were falling, I definitely opened up a bunch of NPCDs at Ally. However, right now even at 2% the NPCDs are lower than money market funds available to me at Vanguard, Fidelity and Merrill Edge. I already pulled the bulk of my cash out of Ally and have it in money market funds paying over 2%.
Same
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

News: APY of 1.85% now effective 8/26/22.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀