Do u always ask for and review receipts for credit card purchases?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
island

Do u always ask for and review receipts for credit card purchases?

Post by island »

As subject indicates, question is do you always ask and review receipts for credit card purchases?

I've recently started checking credit card statements to track spend, but since the arrival of payment on vendors phone, handheld devices, Square, etc, some family members tend to be lax at asking for a receipt (by print, text or email) if not automatically given one. And apparently don't always check the bill shown on the device before paying. The latter occurred recently when receipt from the resto was automatically emailed (because we belong to a rewards program) and showed a $30 overcharge. I wasn't there but in that case, but was told the handheld only showed the total. Really? :oops: Since there was a receipt I was able to call and get the charge reversed.
Makes me wonder how many other times this has occurred with or without a receipt. It happens with "old school" resto charges presented at the table in a folder or when totaled on a printed receipt at Walmart, Nordstrom, etc so why expect less with one of the handheld things?

I agree it's awkward. Server or seller standing there with the device in a resto or at farmers market, etc and feel pressure to complete the transaction quickly as possible.
Do you always take your time reviewing, and ask for receipts, big or small?

What if it was a big restaurant charge with many diners and items on the bill that takes longer to review? How do you handle that particular situation? Does the server continue to stand there waiting?

I've had this convo more than once with family, but not sinking in. Maybe I'm just not as trusting as I should be, but people do make honest mistakes.

And no, the solution is not to pay with cash.
Thanks.
Last edited by island on Thu May 26, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Re: Do u always ask for and review receipts for credit card purchases?

Post by livesoft »

I do not always get receipts. I do notice though if something is later amiss. It is easy for me because I can go days without buying anything, so even though I do not use cash I do not have many charges on a credit card statement. Furthermore, I use self-checkout for almost everything, so that another person rarely touches my card.

Added: I was taken to lunch last week and the server brought the check for another table. Her mistake was immediately discovered by a quick glance.
Last edited by livesoft on Thu May 26, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Taking the time--11 seconds?--to review a receipt is not an imposition the server. If you feel you are harming them in some way you can give a big ole tip and turn their day around.

At the same time I have found the issue of overcharging to be minor enough to not worry about. If I am being overcharged by an amount small enough to not be obvious ($500 at a diner would prompt a phone call), infrequently enough to not know about it, then the honest mistakers (or scammers) can have my $30. Who cares.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Usually for any purchase over probably $50 and whenever we pay the bill at a restaurant with a card. I've had friends that have been victims of unscrupulous behavior with tips and overcharges. So I literacy in case I see something amiss on the credit card statement.
Topic Author
island

Post by island »

livesoft wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:59 pm I do not always get receipts. I do notice though if something is later amiss. It is easy for me because I can go days without buying anything, so even though I do not use cash I do not have many charges on a credit card statement. Furthermore, I use self-checkout for almost everything, so that another person rarely touches my card.
Thanks for your reply.
I can go days without buying anything too, but many places do no have self check out like at farmers market, food stalls at an outdoor art or music festival. How do you resolve later if no receipt?
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I look at the receipt in restaurants: both to calculate the tip and because I’ve had waiters mix up customers’ bills. Otherwise, I usually don’t scrutinize the receipt and don’t request one for minor purchases.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

island wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:10 pm I can go days without buying anything too, but many places do no have self check out like at farmers market, food stalls at an outdoor art or music festival. How do you resolve later if no receipt?
I haven't been to any of those places in many years, but I have a friend who has their credit card text them immediately each transaction, so I suppose one could do that and see on one's phone the charged amount. I was present in one case where the texted amount was different than what they expected. It turned out that unbeknownst to him his spouse just picked up a take-out order from the same place we were eating at.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
dollar_elbow

Post by dollar_elbow »

island wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:10 pm
livesoft wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:59 pm I do not always get receipts. I do notice though if something is later amiss. It is easy for me because I can go days without buying anything, so even though I do not use cash I do not have many charges on a credit card statement. Furthermore, I use self-checkout for almost everything, so that another person rarely touches my card.
Thanks for your reply.
I can go days without buying anything too, but many places do no have self check out like at farmers market, food stalls at an outdoor art or music festival. How do you resolve later if no receipt?
I turn on alerts for all my credit cards so I get an email immediately on any purchase. I rarely look at receipts; I just glance at the alert to make sure it looks okay. This seems safer to me since it is my bank telling me what was charged (versus what the receipt claims).
Calico

Post by Calico »

dollar_elbow wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:18 pm
island wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:10 pm
Thanks for your reply.
I turn on alerts for all my credit cards so I get an email immediately on any purchase. I rarely look at receipts; I just glance at the alert to make sure it looks okay. This seems safer to me since it is my bank telling me what was charged (versus what the receipt claims).
I have something similar. My credit cards text me as soon as there is any charge. So I basically use my phone as a receipt.
I am a mere Boglehead apprentice... even after all these years.
Topic Author
island

Post by island »

mega317 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:07 pm Taking the time--11 seconds?--to review a receipt is not an imposition the server. If you feel you are harming them in some way you can give a big ole tip and turn their day around.

At the same time I have found the issue of overcharging to be minor enough to not worry about. If I am being overcharged by an amount small enough to not be obvious ($500 at a diner would prompt a phone call), infrequently enough to not know about it, then the honest mistakers (or scammers) can have my $30. Who cares.
Agree, shouldn't be an imposition.

Who cares? I guess I do. The actual spend was <$20, the $30 was for 2 cocktails meant to be put on someone else's tab.
Another recently was a charge of $76 for a $20 T shirt bought at an outdoor festival for a nephew and no receipt.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Yes I do. I didn’t know it was possible not to.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Thu May 26, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Yes. On a few rare occasions I might get distracted at a checkout counter and stop on my way out of the store asking myself, "Wait a minute. What amount did I just sign for?" On my way out of the grocery store -- where I now pay with cc -- I always scan the register receipt to make sure there was no mis-pricing. Always easier to fix problems right away, in-store.

On some occasions, like in a coffee shop, I ok an email receipt, but I am looking at the amount when I do that.
simplextableau

Post by simplextableau »

I'd rather be overcharged than forced to use the term "resto" :twisted:

On topic, no one should ever feel bad for taking the time to review a receipt.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

Only in restaurants.
ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob »

Always. Always...I reconcile the account at the end of every month. Used to do this as part of my job so it's ingrained in me. You would do good to do this too. You'll save yourself a bunch money each year. Mistakes happen.

Bob
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

island wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:57 pm do you always ask and review receipts for credit card purchases?
Yes.
Topic Author
island

Post by island »

simplextableau wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:02 pm I'd rather be overcharged than forced to use the term "resto" :twisted:

Haha don't worry, no one is forcing u. It's an abbrev, as is abbrev and you don't have to use that either. :-D
Thanks.
like2read

Post by like2read »

In the past, hit or miss, now - always.

A couple of years ago, we were on vacation and spent about $60 at a seafood market. When the credit card bill arrived DW noticed a charge for about $160.

After talking with the nice lady at the seafood market, we determined that someone in the market's related restaurant had enjoyed appetizers, drinks and a seafood dinner for two, and had added it our bill. :o The nice lady reversed the charges.

l2r
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

island wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:32 pm
simplextableau wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:02 pm I'd rather be overcharged than forced to use the term "resto" :twisted:

Haha don't worry, no one is forcing u. It's an abbrev, as is abbrev and you don't have to use that either. :-D
Thanks.
But what does "resto" mean? What's it an abbreviation for? A shop that sells a type of pesto? A convenience store at a rest area on a highway?
Last edited by samsoes on Thu May 26, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

I always get a receipt, and I always review a receipt at a restaurant before I pay. You're giving them your money why would you ever feel guilty about taking up a couple extra minutes to make sure the bill is correct?
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

When we eat out, I look at the receipt. Then I add the tip and generally throw away the receipt as I get an email anyway.
The restaurant receipts aren't all that numerous, maybe once a week for sit-down service at most. Once or twice a drive thru for a cool drink/coffee or a burger. Sometimes if we are with others, an appetizer might end up on the wrong tab, but thankfully no one whips out a calculator to refigure the bill.

Info concerning online purchases is available for review at most anytime at the particular site, plus, like the restaurant charges, I get an email. And, the purchase info is part of the monthly statement. On most of my credit cards I also get a yearly statement.

In person purchases other than meals are very rare. I usually don't need to keep any receipts since my memory is still good enough to remember the very few purchases.

I will keep a receipt on something that might have a time interval (car battery) or mileage portion (tires/auto repair), or is needed for a repair, like tire road hazard. Though, we have been using the same small local chain for many years, and the store could find our info easily if needed.

I also keep receipts on home fixtures (faucets, appliances) and some service calls like plumbers, as there are time intervals that would call for free replacement or prorated replacement costs if we experience early failure.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We ALWAYS review the receipt and ask for a copy if it isn't offered.

We want them to know we are looking at it, in hopes it will help prevent, uh, changes...
In cases of small charges, we rarely review them. But they are usually stuffed in a pocket, not thrown away immediately, so we could look if necessary. And very occasionally, that will happen. "Hey, what did we get at The Local Emporium?" and then it will turn out that it was the Widget we really wanted, or some such... Never actually a problem.

At restaurants, we are a bit more careful in reviewing the receipt before signing. In part, that's because we'll be adding a tip.
We'll occasionally notice a problem, but quite rarely.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Yes. My wife checks receipts against the CC statements.
Once a bookkeeper, always a bookkeeper.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

MikeWillRetire wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:06 pm Only in restaurants.
Same here.

Used to review all credit card receipts. What a waste of my time.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I don't feel the need to waste paper. Actually, I get kind of annoyed when I am given a receipt without explicitly asking for one or when not presented with the option to decline one. Not as bad as when the overzealous cashier at any establishment that doesn't offer self-checkout gives you a plastic bag for one item during the two seconds where your attention is diverted to complete a transaction on a terminal. That's the worst. But often they will print a receipt and toss that in the bag for a double play.
windaar

Post by windaar »

I always get a paper receipt. It goes into a drawer at home. When I have had wrong or double charges in the past it has been VERY helpful to have this evidence. When the gas pump doesn't spit out a receipt I take a photo of the total.
Nobody knows nothing.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

So I work at a seasonal part time job behind a cash register. I cal almost guess who will want a receipt. Over 50 yes; under 50 no. Exactly 50 it could go either way. I always take the receipt, check it, and throw it away.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

This is interesting. If there's an option to not get a receipt, I usually select that. Otherwise, it goes straight in the trash without looking at it. At a restaurant I know - generally - what everything cost, so I just look at the total quickly and call it good. I can say I've never actually reconciled receipts with credit card statements. How many times have people actually found errors?
delamer

Post by delamer »

I can remember my dad reviewing the charges and the math for restaurant bills, in the days before credit cards and computers.

I don’t check the addition any more, but I always look at the charges.

With the scanners showing prices at grocery stores, it’s easy to check as you (or the cashier) go.

I always get and save receipts. Habit more than anything. But I think it’s particularly prudent when you are dealing with a new-to-you vendor.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

samsoes wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:35 pm
island wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:32 pm

Thanks.
But what does "resto" mean? What's it an abbreviation for? A shop that sells a type of pesto? A convenience store at a rest area on a highway?
"Resto" is very French. They love shortening words like "restaurant." McDonald's is "McDo(e)." Aperitif is "apero." Adolescent is "ado(e)," which can sound like "adulte" when spoken quickly.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

I always ask for the receipt. I also get points from the Fetch Rewards app for scanning my receipts (I trade pts for Amazon GCs).
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

In a Publix a couple months ago they accidentally charged the person behind us in line to our bill - an extra $200. DW did not notice - did not get receipt. I got a text notice. Cashier never closed out our order and added the next one to our bill. Wild. Our bill was about $40.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I always get receipts to check for errors as well as to cross check with my card statements.

Errors are made, why not correct them?

No different than balancing ones checkbook or checking financial accounts, including transactions.

All a part of financial literacy.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:34 pm In a Publix a couple months ago they accidentally charged the person behind us in line to our bill - an extra $200. DW did not notice - did not get receipt. I got a text notice. Cashier never closed out our order and added the next one to our bill. Wild. Our bill was about $40.
Something analogous apparently happened to me at the public library. I checked out a single book I had requested at the library and somehow 23 books apparently checked out by whoever came to the counter next accidentally also got charged to my card because the library circulation clerk didn't successfully scan the next patron's card. When I later looked at my online record of items out I was shocked to see a ton of unfamiliar children's books charged to my account, apparently by an elementary teacher doing a thematic unit. The next time I was at the library I pointed this out, noting that the books in question were completely out of character with my usual fare and the clerk kindly corrected my record.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Saw this tip the other day. Let's say the restaraunt bill is $30 and you want leave a 20% tip - $6.00. The total would be $36.00 but instead make the tip 6.36 so the final total is $36.63. It's called palindrome tipping.

When you review your bill, verifying the numbers are palindromes makes it easier. This process is a little harder to do at Home Depot.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I don't tip at Home Depot.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:52 pm I don't tip at Home Depot.
That’s why it’s hard to end up with a palindrome.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

dollar_elbow wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:18 pm
This^ I never request or save the receipt since I get texts with each use. I do review a receipt at restaurants before adding the tip to be sure the items on the tab are correct, but then leave all the receipts on the table. Not sure the point of saving a receipt with a hand written tip. If the amount is off (which is easily checked online based on a rough "sniff test"), the restaurant is responsible for providing a copy of the signed receipt.
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:34 pm In a Publix a couple months ago they accidentally charged the person behind us in line to our bill - an extra $200. DW did not notice - did not get receipt. I got a text notice. Cashier never closed out our order and added the next one to our bill. Wild. Our bill was about $40.
Did you get this sorted out? I am dealing a slight different problem with Stop & Shop, the CC reader wasn't working right and indicated some attempted "tap" payments didn't go through, and eventually payment was accepted by inserting the card with a chip. Of course 6 transactions posted on my CC account. Luckily I kept the paper receipt which shows all the "declined" charges on the receipt. I disputed it with the CC company and uploaded a copy of the receipt (without that, I would have no proof).
smectym

Post by smectym »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:16 pm We ALWAYS review the receipt and ask for a copy if it isn't offered.

We want them to know we are looking at it, in hopes it will help prevent, uh, changes...
In cases of small charges, we rarely review them. But they are usually stuffed in a pocket, not thrown away immediately, so we could look if necessary. And very occasionally, that will happen. "Hey, what did we get at The Local Emporium?" and then it will turn out that it was the Widget we really wanted, or some such... Never actually a problem.

At restaurants, we are a bit more careful in reviewing the receipt before signing. In part, that's because we'll be adding a tip.
We'll occasionally notice a problem, but quite rarely.

RM
We’re just the opposite day-to-day we never ask for a receipt, and decline if one is offered. I can rerun 1,000 gas station convenience store encounters in my mind: “Receipt?” “No thanks.”

We used to scrutinize large restaurant tabs. But we don’t eat at restaurants anymore: it’s all takeout. Now there, we should be more vigilant, as half the time, there’s something missing from the order.
Parkinglotracer

anon_investor wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:35 pm
Did you get this sorted out? I am dealing a slight different problem with Stop & Shop, the CC reader wasn't working right and indicated some attempted "tap" payments didn't go through, and eventually payment was accepted by inserting the card with a chip. Of course 6 transactions posted on my CC account. Luckily I kept the paper receipt which shows all the "declined" charges on the receipt. I disputed it with the CC company and uploaded a copy of the receipt (without that, I would have no proof).
Manager of Publix pulled the video of my wife checking out and the register tape. They were a little skeptical at first but then embarrassed and appreciated that we came quietly to office to report problem. They said the Cashier made a big mistake and would be retrained. Regardless of the political alignment of some owners of Publix (which I don’t prefer) they are a well run chain. Closest I have seen to the standard Wegman’s has set in our area.

If I didn’t have text alert on our charge card we may have never known. We might not have noticed a grocery bill was $240 instead of $40.

By mistake I changed the text notice to my DW phone instead of mine and I think it has actually decreased our spending. Now anytime ANYTHING is charged to our Charge card (about 5K a month) her Fitbit buzzes with the text. I am sure this effect will wear off but our budget will benefit while it lasts. Maybe I could patent this notification to be used in conjunction with an animal like shock collar for whomever is the big spender in the family to keep spending under control.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I check. Wife is a health nut and she decided that she wouldn’t touch receipts, because she says the ink is bad for you, so she does not check. We use different cards. I will say, FWIW, somebody in Mumbai charged $750 to my HSA and they let that slide right in. It took me catching it. But you wouldn’t need receipts to spot a dumb thing like that.
This time is the same
Parkinglotracer

firebirdparts wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:35 am I check. Wife is a health nut and she decided that she wouldn’t touch receipts, because she says the ink is bad for you, so she does not check. We use different cards. I will say, FWIW, somebody in Mumbai charged $750 to my HSA and they let that slide right in. It took me catching it. But you wouldn’t need receipts to spot a dumb thing like that.
This is funny. You should definitely have the charges texted to her phone. Lol.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Last night when my scheduled 11:45pm flight arrived after 3am I told the parking attendant to skip the receipt, although it was the most I'd ever paid for airport parking (unexpected trip delay.) Generally I ask for receipts for larger items, or certainly ones that might involve a return, but don't keep receipts for small items that are automatically generated, like from the unhealthy-food kiosk I purchased from while waiting on my flight.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

firebirdparts wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:35 am I check. Wife is a health nut and she decided that she wouldn’t touch receipts, because she says the ink is bad for you, so she does not check. We use different cards. I will say, FWIW, somebody in Mumbai charged $750 to my HSA and they let that slide right in. It took me catching it. But you wouldn’t need receipts to spot a dumb thing like that.
I had Fidelity disable my HSA debit card. I have to call in for them to re-enable it. This is more secure than a lock. I have no plans to use my HSA for another 20 years.
CenTexan

Post by CenTexan »

"Resto" is a lot easier to spell than restorant . . . restaraunt, . . resteraunt . . heck, you get my point. . .
riverant

Post by riverant »

I’m sorry. I can’t get past the abbreviation of “resto”. Ick
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

island wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:57 pm As subject indicates, question is do you always ask and review receipts for credit card purchases?

No.

But I do review my monthly bill.

Whenever I have noticed fraud, and it has happened a number of times, I have reported it and the CC company has reimbursed me.

So, though I often check receipts, I am not compulsive about it. Fraud is the CC companies' problem, not mine.
beyou

Post by beyou »

I stopped asking for receipts altogether. Too much time checking the bill and almost no errors found over many years. Those I did find were obvious without needing the receipt in all but once case in last 20+ years.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

At restos...(some call them "restaurants"), we make a point of recording the tip and taking the receipt as a contemporaneous record. Dishonest servers are more likely to bump up the tip if you don't have a record.