Moving to a later Target Retirement Fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
denon

Moving to a later Target Retirement Fund

Post by denon »

Just wanted to see some thoughts on moving between Target Retirement Accounts and how fast to proceed. I am currently in Vanguard TR2035. The glide path seems to be moving a little faster than I want now, and was going to move to TR2040 to add a bit more stocks for the next 5 years. Should I do this over time? All at once? Does it matter? The stock/bond percentage is about 7-8% change so nothing too drastic.
spickups09

Re: Moving to a later Target Retirement Fund

Post by spickups09 »

If that later TDF reflects the allocation you want throughout the entire amount of funds that are currently in the earlier TDF, then I don't know why you'd not just move all the monies over at once.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

Assuming this is in a tax-deferred or tax-free account, I see no reason to wait (not to mention, the current state of the market is a pretty good time to buy more stocks if that's what you want). I'm also assuming you're set on this asset allocation change and took the time to think it through.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

If you want a different allocation now, you'd change your allocation now.

this isn't in a taxable account is it?
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
mrc

Post by mrc »

Move it all now to get the AA you want. FWIW, when my wife and I used target funds, we chose dates much farther out than our ages suggested for this exact reason — we wanted more equity exposure.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Topic Author
denon

Post by denon »

Thanks for the replies. This is in our retirement account so no tax consequences. Yes, as I combine all of our accounts I feel we are getting a little more in bonds than what I like.
jtdavid

Post by jtdavid »

Another thing you could do is direct the dividends and capital gains to be reinvested in a more aggressive (later year) target date fund.