Finding reasonably priced groceries

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
michaeljc70

Re: Finding reasonably priced groceries

Post by michaeljc70 »

Kenkat wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:24 am
lazydavid wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:44 am
ray.james wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:14 am Prices from Sunday at local Safeway

Cheapest breast meat per pound I could find 6.99/lb
Cheapest thigh meat I could find 7.99/LB ( I only found 2 brands and 6 packages in the store)

It could be stock was running very low and only some brands are available but that is my 2 observations from last week. Costco does have chicken at 4.99/lb and 4.49/lb.
Curious where you live, because these prices seem extremely high. I am in the midwest, and the regular (non-sale) price for boneless skinless chicken breasts at our local Jewel (which is owned by Safeway) are $3.99/lb for standard, $4.99/lb for hand-trimmed. I can't see the Costco prices online, but they should be similar to Sam's club, and I bought boneless skinless breasts there for $2.78/lb this past Sunday. That same day, I got bone-in/skin-on thighs at our local discount grocer for $1.29/lb.
Yes, I am surprised by the wide range of prices. Also in the midwest, I am seeing Boneless Chicken Breasts @ $3.79 and Thighs at $1.29.
If people want to see all the sales prices for their area I'd suggest going to Flipp.com, enter their zip code and search for chicken breasts (or whatever). Quoting one or two stores isn't giving the whole picture. Sales also vary greatly weekly. I notice there is some consistency across unrelated stores (like they almost all have X on sale one week and no x on sale the next week).

Another thing to take into account is cheap chicken usually is injected with a 10%-15% salt solution so you are paying for water. Though I prefer the natural, I won't pay 50% more for it.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Ivygirl wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:42 am I need to hold down the grocery bill. Have you counted the sheer number of ingredients needed for the delicious feasts you have listed? I can't afford that and still maintain, in the present high-inflation, no-pay-raise-for-me environment, the progress I have made in securing my financial place in the world.
I understand. Do keep in mind that most of those ingredients are $2-$4 per trip and will last a week if consumed daily. The ingredients for a week of smoothies cost about the same as half a case of protein shakes. Same for a week of breakfast bowls. We've been opting for sandwich meat instead of "meat meat" and sneaking in protein through less expensive non-meat ingredients in order to keep the variety in our food. And eggs are definitely expensive now, but 18 eggs (or even 12) still last a whole lot longer (and in different types of meals) than the equivalent cost in meat. I also take a list now, made by approximating the cost of each item rounded up to nearest dollar, and keep the list total under a certain amount. That way, the total at checkout is right at my estimation or slightly lower -- no sneak attack total. I will spend $100 and fill three tall bags of groceries.
Two protein shakes a day, then a meal with meat, broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, cabbage, apples or oranges. That I can manage.
If it's working for you, then it's working for you. Sorry I couldn't help myself to try to sneak some more yumminess in there for you. I love food so much.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Sleepless

Post by Sleepless »

Legumes provide some of the tastiest and cheapest protein out there.
Zero saturated fat, and they're naturally bundled with complex carbs, dietary fiber, minerals and vitamins -- super healthy!
Dry beans/lentils/chickpeas are running at around $1/lb. That's about $0.33 per pound of cooked legumes.

Invest in an Instant Pot and you're good to go.
I was tired yesterday and I'm tired again today. I'm retired.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Beensabu wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:16 am
Ivygirl wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:42 am I need to hold down the grocery bill. Have you counted the sheer number of ingredients needed for the delicious feasts you have listed? I can't afford that and still maintain, in the present high-inflation, no-pay-raise-for-me environment, the progress I have made in securing my financial place in the world.
I understand. Do keep in mind that most of those ingredients are $2-$4 per trip and will last a week if consumed daily. The ingredients for a week of smoothies cost about the same as half a case of protein shakes. Same for a week of breakfast bowls. We've been opting for sandwich meat instead of "meat meat" and sneaking in protein through less expensive non-meat ingredients in order to keep the variety in our food. And eggs are definitely expensive now, but 18 eggs (or even 12) still last a whole lot longer (and in different types of meals) than the equivalent cost in meat. I also take a list now, made by approximating the cost of each item rounded up to nearest dollar, and keep the list total under a certain amount. That way, the total at checkout is right at my estimation or slightly lower -- no sneak attack total. I will spend $100 and fill three tall bags of groceries.
Two protein shakes a day, then a meal with meat, broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, cabbage, apples or oranges. That I can manage.
If it's working for you, then it's working for you. Sorry I couldn't help myself to try to sneak some more yumminess in there for you. I love food so much.
You're a civilized person. :sharebeer People feel strongly about food.

I'll just mention this, which is not relevant to most but is to some reading this: onions, garlic, red pepper, and black pepper make me ill. Wheat, barley, and rye make me as ill as having the flu for a minimum of 4 days, besides causing potentially lasting damage to me. Milk products/protein are not a problem, making protein shakes a particularly eligible nutrition solution. My digestion is already damaged, I can't afford to slack on nutrition.

Bonus: no dirty dishes to wash. :D Rinse the container and recycle.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

I live in a tourist town. Groceries were pricey here even before inflation. Now, it's outrageous :!: Here are some tips:

- Drive. Even a few miles away, grocery prices are cheaper.
- Loyalty. Locally, groceries offer 'loyalty points' which can be redeemed for food or gas. Personally, I avoid groceries that want your social security number or scan your driver's license. However, at Weiss the cashiers happily use their personal card for you. I daresay they are cashing in points. 8-)
- Walmart, Aldi, and Target. I like the straightforward pricing -- I don't have to burn an hour on the Internet 'clipping' digital coupons. They are routinely cheaper than grocery stores. AND ... they have clearance sections, AND ... prices vary among three Walmarts within 15 miles of each other. Who knew?
- Farm stands, not Farmer's Markets. Farmer's markets are tourist traps! Look for a farm stand
attached to an actual farm, not a grocery store masquerading as a farm stand.
- Don't waste food. I recently bought a dehydrator on clearance (see Walmart above). I buy economy size and dehydrate what I can't use right away, or highly perishable things such as mushroom slices. It helps solve the economy of scale -- NOT problem for singles.
- Online. Careful here because you really have to compare prices. If the price is the same, I buy local to help the local economy.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Church Lady wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:00 am I live in a tourist town. Groceries were pricey here even before inflation. Now, it's outrageous :!: Here are some tips:

- Drive. Even a few miles away, grocery prices are cheaper.
Lucky enough to live within a pleasant tree-shaded 2-mile walk of a competitively priced grocery store for frequently purchased perishables (mostly produce) so I combine exercise with grocery shopping, save on gas as well.
- Walmart, Aldi, and Target. I like the straightforward pricing -- I don't have to burn an hour on the Internet 'clipping' digital coupons. They are routinely cheaper than grocery stores. AND ... they have clearance sections, AND ... prices vary among three Walmarts within 15 miles of each other. Who knew?
None of these is easy walking distance but all are accessible for me by inexpensive public transit. (65 cent senior fare for the win! And I can read and relax en route.)
- Farm stands, not Farmer's Markets. Farmer's markets are tourist traps! Look for a farm stand attached to an actual farm, not a grocery store masquerading as a farm stand.
Very fortunate to live within 10 minute walk of an actual farm with farmstand! (But growing season is short and variety is limited, but still a nice option to have!)
- Don't waste food. I recently bought a dehydrator on clearance (see Walmart above). I buy economy size and dehydrate what I can't use right away, or highly perishable things such as mushroom slices. It helps solve the economy of scale -- NOT problem for singles.
I have become big on "don't waste food" for sustainability reasons and now the economy further reinforces this. I had been doing the "creative additions" to stews to use up leftover produce--I will have to think about whether a dehydrator makes sense.
- Online. Careful here because you really have to compare prices. If the price is the same, I buy local to help the local economy.
I agree on buying local whenever reasonably comparable in price and availability--to help local economy and also reduce need for unnecessary packaging.
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

For me in New York City, the main thing that has gone up is eggs. It went up from 1.29/dozen to $2.29! But overall it's not so bad, and there are a lot of illogical prices. For example, a gallon of milk has gone up from $2.60 to $3.50, but a half gallon is still the same at $1.49, so it's actually cheaper to get two half gallons!

At produce stands, it's still pretty much the same, perhaps because they use round numbers - going from $1/pint for blackberries or cherry tomatoes to $2/pint would be quite the shock! (although you do see 2 for $3 more often now). The nice thing is that I have three on the same block, so competition keeps them honest.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Cheapest thigh meat I could find 7.99/LB ( I only found 2 brands and 6 packages in the store)

It could be stock was running very low and only some brands are available but that is my 2 observations from last week. Costco does have chicken at 4.99/lb and 4.49/lb.
Curious where you live, because these prices seem extremely high. I am in the midwest, and the regular (non-sale) price for boneless skinless chicken breasts at our local Jewel (which is owned by Safeway) are $3.99/lb for standard, $4.99/lb for hand-trimmed. I can't see the Costco prices online, but they should be similar to Sam's club, and I bought boneless skinless breasts there for $2.78/lb this past Sunday. That same day, I got bone-in/skin-on thighs at our local discount grocer for $1.29/lb.
Yes, I am surprised by the wide range of prices. Also in the midwest, I am seeing Boneless Chicken Breasts @ $3.79 and Thighs at $1.29.
I live in San Francisco Bay area. There are cheaper options which I use but I was just surprised at the thigh meat prices at Safeway/Luckys. Drumsticks are at 1.79/lb at Costco which is the cheapest option. Uncut whole fryer is 1.59/lb.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

ray.james wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:38 am I live in San Francisco Bay area. There are cheaper options which I use but I was just surprised at the thigh meat prices at Safeway/Luckys. Drumsticks are at 1.79/lb at Costco which is the cheapest option. Uncut whole fryer is 1.59/lb.
Based on my underestanding, the SF Bay grocery market is tough (for consumers). Safeway is not always great quality and far overpriced. There's no Aldi. The local Kroger affiliate (FoodsCo) is kind of "weird" and low footprint. Thus, Costco is generally popular around SF Bay (and Trader Joe may also be relatively more attractive).
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

centrifuge41 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:48 am
ray.james wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:38 am I live in San Francisco Bay area. There are cheaper options which I use but I was just surprised at the thigh meat prices at Safeway/Luckys. Drumsticks are at 1.79/lb at Costco which is the cheapest option. Uncut whole fryer is 1.59/lb.
Based on my underestanding, the SF Bay grocery market is tough (for consumers). Safeway is not always great quality and far overpriced. There's no Aldi. The local Kroger affiliate (FoodsCo) is kind of "weird" and low footprint. Thus, Costco is generally popular around SF Bay (and Trader Joe may also be relatively more attractive).
You are correct. Among chain stores, there is smart & final, grocery outlet(do not recommend) which is cheaper. Plenty of local Mexican/Asian stores,which are cheaper for produce. I personally use Costco for most items and Asian grocery store near my house for some produce.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Wouldn’t it be a great app where you could go and type in the 10 things you need to buy and the app would tell you the cheapest of the local grocery stores to go to get them?

I have tried to compare prices overall and i just give up. Walmart grocery and Aldi are likely lowest prices overall in our area - lower than wegmans and tops.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

We shop at multiple grocery stores. Safeway and Kroger only for their weekly specials. Walmart usually has the best prices on milk. And various ethnic markets like La Bonita, Cardinas, 99 Ranch and 168 Market for fruits and vegetables. Sometimes a bit at Costco (deli ham is competitive). And a few other stores. Bottom line - it pays to shop around.

Basically if it isn't on sale or at an attractive price we pass. Always check for items marked for clearance. Yogurt is frequenly marked down 50% as it nears expiration and day-old bread/donuts can be had for a bargain price. It is hit or miss but worth the time to check.

Today I stopped at Smith's and bought 2 20-packs of Bud Light for $10.00 each. I can pretty much depend on Smith's to have beer at this price near every holiday.

I also stopped at La Bonita for produce and breads:
Cucumbers $0.33 ea
Manila Mango $0.25 ea
Roma Tomato $0.50 #
White Potato $0.50 #
Persian Limes $0.33 #
Strawberry $1 #
Bolillos $0.50 ea
Piedras (sweet bread) $0.90 ea
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

FireProof wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:30 am For me in New York City, the main thing that has gone up is eggs. It went up from 1.29/dozen to $2.29! But overall it's not so bad, and there are a lot of illogical prices. For example, a gallon of milk has gone up from $2.60 to $3.50, but a half gallon is still the same at $1.49, so it's actually cheaper to get two half gallons!

At produce stands, it's still pretty much the same, perhaps because they use round numbers - going from $1/pint for blackberries or cherry tomatoes to $2/pint would be quite the shock! (although you do see 2 for $3 more often now). The nice thing is that I have three on the same block, so competition keeps them honest.
Where are these $1 blackberries? I see like $4+ these days for blueberries, blackberries, raspberries if I remember correctly. We are usually at Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods, which seem cheaper than a Union Market or a West Side Market, but maybe more than a Key food?
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

ray.james wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:38 am

I live in San Francisco Bay area. There are cheaper options which I use but I was just surprised at the thigh meat prices at Safeway/Luckys. Drumsticks are at 1.79/lb at Costco which is the cheapest option. Uncut whole fryer is 1.59/lb.
I'm in the Bay

Drumsticks, thighs, and quarters are $0.99/lb at Smart and Finals this sales week, bone-in.
Spareribs at $1.99/lb is good deal too.
https://www.smartandfinal.com/flyers/177030/print

Or Buy one, Get one free at Safeway and Luckys. If you're at either store, make sure to get some sweet corn $0.15 / $0.14 each.
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

I shop Aldi for meat, fish, veggies, and eggs. In addition, heavy cream, butter, olive oil, condiments like hot sauce and spices. I eat very low carb, not quite keto but close. I stock up on the huge family pack of chicken breasts at Aldi and they last quite awhile for me (I am single). This week they were $2.49/lb. I think that's pretty good for a major metro area (Twin Cities MN). We have a couple beautiful new Aldis close to me.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

tennisplyr wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:13 pm There are several Walmarts nearby. Much to my wife’s dismay, I do a bit of grocery shopping there. She prefers Publix…the high priced spread.
Publix was always my favorite place too. But since 2020, I feel their value has plummeted. Rarely visit anymore. No loyalty program, no points, nosebleed prices - we're talking highest in my region - except for BOGOs/sales and they're often out of stock on those, with no more rainchecks allowed. They're surrounded by wal mart, aldi, winn dixie, costco, sams and other competitors - yet continue to thrive. Diehard shopper loyalty to Publix amazes me. They're doing something right, I guess.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

This is an incredible thread. When it comes to finding the best deal, Bogleheads run supreme!

Personally, due to the pandemic, personal illnesses (serious + Covid), shopping is a challenge now, and DW has delegated it all to me.

In addition, DW insists on organic produce whenever possible. Added to that, I don't eat meat, fowl, or shellfish. (Fish is a primary sources of protein.)

We live in the SF Bay Area, a HCOL market.

I love Costco. We also have Amazon Prime. Instacart Express has been a lifesaver. Thus, our primary sources of groceries are:
Costco (through Instacart delivery)
Costco.com (if we purchase over $100 of frozen wild caught fish, it's shipped to our building n/c)
Amazon Fresh (delivered) - I've grown to appreciate this service
Safeway or Sprouts (via Instacart delivery)

We get deliveries weekly and I'm happy with this--I have better ways to spend my time than grocery shopping, I save on gas (currently $6/gallon or more), and am willing to pay a premium and tip for the convenience and luxury of home delivery.

We eat well (even though I do all the cooking these days!)
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
TheCaptain67

Post by TheCaptain67 »

Publix was always my favorite place too. But since 2020, I feel their value has plummeted. Rarely visit anymore. No loyalty program, no points, nosebleed prices - we're talking highest in my region - except for BOGOs/sales and they're often out of stock on those, with no more rainchecks allowed.
Agree with this 100%.

We have 2 Publix stores within 1 mile of our house. But their prices are now out of this world. Almost everything is $0.50 or $1 more than same item at Walmart. Publix used to have very good produce, now it is worse than Walmart for many items. We do continue to shop there for the BOGO specials.

I HATE Walmart and hate shopping there (not a fan of forced self-checkout), but I save at least $10-15 per week by getting a lot of items at Walmart instead of Publix.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Sleepless wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:21 am Legumes provide some of the tastiest and cheapest protein out there.
Zero saturated fat, and they're naturally bundled with complex carbs, dietary fiber, minerals and vitamins -- super healthy!
Dry beans/lentils/chickpeas are running at around $1/lb. That's about $0.33 per pound of cooked legumes.

Great idea. I've been adding things like black beans to salads.
Sleepless

Post by Sleepless »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:26 pm
Sleepless wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:21 am Legumes provide some of the tastiest and cheapest protein out there.

If I had 1 cent for every time I convinced a friend to buy an Instant Pot...
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

fareastwarriors wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:13 pm
ray.james wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:38 am
I'm in the Bay

Drumsticks, thighs, and quarters are $0.99/lb at Smart and Finals this sales week, bone-in.
Spareribs at $1.99/lb is good deal too.
https://www.smartandfinal.com/flyers/177030/print

Or Buy one, Get one free at Safeway and Luckys. If you're at either store, make sure to get some sweet corn $0.15 / $0.14 each.
That is an awesome deal. I will freeze some. Thanks!
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

About 15 years ago I made tables with prices of various groceries for shopping at Walmart and 2 other local grocery store chains. I noticed that Walmart in my table was about 10% less expensive for our usual grocery list, and I stayed with Walmart, go there about every 5 days. My wife goes also to the other stores, so we have comparisons. Qualities of groceries are comparable between chains.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I don't find Target or Walmart to be cheap compared to grocery chain sales. Almost everything I buy food wise I buy on sale. There are exceptions for some oddities that rarely/never go on sale.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Sleepless wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:39 pm

Yes! I was gifted one about a year ago and have enjoyed using it for rice and oatmeal but I need to try it for some beans, etc. Quicker than a crock pot for sure. :happy
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

forgeblast wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:39 am We ended up planting a little bit larger garden this year,and plan on canning a lot.
Part of that will be hitting farmers markets. We bought a few chickens for eggs and have ducks too.
We went out and pollinated a few apple and paw paw trees by hand.
Also inoculated a couple of logs with mushroom spore.
Learned to fly fish, and plan on building a few structures on our property (small smoke house and maple sap house.
If you see the train wreck coming do something....
Same here in regards to bigger garden and also got chickens too. Not only saves money but tastes much better than store.
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Very helpful advice! Thank you.
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

ruanddu wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:56 pm

With canned beans around 50 cents at Lidl, are dry beans worth the effort?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:56 pm
Sleepless wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:39 pm

Yes! I was gifted one about a year ago and have enjoyed using it for rice and oatmeal but I need to try it for some beans, etc. Quicker than a crock pot for sure. :happy
There is a thread about the instant pot vs. crockpot debate. We have both and use the crockpot 10x more. We eat a lot of beans and I am picky about their texture; it's a lot easier to mess them up in the instant pot (yes, even on the bean setting) than it is the crockpot.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

In terms of planning ahead, it is good to be aware of what is happening (what will happen) to wheat:

As we opened up the May 12 issue of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates (USDA-WASDE), we expected to see higher crop prices for the coming 2022 crop marketing year.

What we did not anticipate was a wheat price ($10.75 per bushel) more than double the season average price for the 2020 wheat crop ($5.05) and a far cry from the $3.89 we saw as recently as the 2016 crop marketing year.

The projected price of wheat for the 2022 crop year is 2.13 times the expected price received by farmers for the 2020 wheat crop. By way of contrast, while it is nothing to sneeze at, the projected 2022 corn price of $6.75 per bushel is 1.49 times the 2020 price. The comparable ratio for soybeans was 1.33 while it was 1.24 for rice.

https://www.wisfarmer.com/story/opinion ... 942022002/

and:

The Biden administration announced Thursday it would allow farmers to harvest conserved lands early in an attempt to boost supplies amid the global food crisis.

Farmers with Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) contracts expiring this year will be able to voluntarily request a termination following the 2022 primary nesting season which ends between July-August in most states, according to the Department of Agriculture’s Farm Service Agency (FSA). The announcement, designed to mitigate “global food supply challenges" ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... 0759522c4a

It's especially significant I think that, despite the Biden administration's priorities for carbon sequestration and environmentalism, they are willing to end CRP contracts early. It isn't a rumor. It's a move to deal with something that will happen.

The actionable takeaway is, a person who does a lot of baking with wheat flour would do well to buy it in bulk now, as it will be more than double next year, unless held down by some kind of price control. Wheat flour can be bought in bulk in sealed buckets with long shelf life.

We can expect cereal to rise rapidly in price, wheat cereal more than corn or rice. And, as wheat is an important animal feed, that will be reflected in meat and egg prices too. There is no reason to expect that food will be cheaper anytime in the future than it is now, unless maybe by price control. Any of the things that will be affected, it is prudent to buy them now insofar as one can.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

I live in a major city and probably have a dozen options within a mile, so this may or may not be helpful.

Look for stores that serve Mexican, Central American, South Asian and East Asian populations. Eventually you'll find one that is great on price and quality for produce and dry goods with lots of turnover. Shop there. I'm blessed to have several different ones nearby. Just like mainstream groceries, you'll also find ones that are expensive and poor quality. Don't shop there.

As others have said, Aldi.

Kisses of death to cost control:

1) buying everything at one mainstream grocery
2) Ready-to-eat foods
3) "Convenience" meats like lunchmeat, boneless/skinless stuff, ready-to-eat sausages, etc.

What are your "must haves" that you don't want to change? It can't be everything. Choose a few that will keep you satisfied and be flexible with the rest.

If you eat animal products and price is the main consideration, learn to cook with chicken legs/quarters and pork shoulder. Say goodbye to beef for a while. I'm astonished at how much people pay for boneless skinless chicken. Even learn to break down a cheap whole chicken if you really want, but usually you can buy legs and quarters cheaper than a whole chicken.

Buy large containers of different varieties of beans and rices. Learn to cook different things with them. Everyone in the world has been eating this in different ways for thousands of years, there are so many tasty options.

Make packaged ready-to-eat food the exception. My exceptions are chocolate bars and a huge variety of east Asian instant noodles gussied up with greens, eggs, other veggies, etc. This can be a satisfying and reasonably healthy (though salty) meal for a $1 or less. And an occasional frozen pizza.

Done.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Ivygirl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:06 am In terms of planning ahead, it is good to be aware of what is happening (what will happen) to wheat:

As we opened up the May 12 issue of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates (USDA-WASDE), we expected to see higher crop prices for the coming 2022 crop marketing year.

What we did not anticipate was a wheat price ($10.75 per bushel) more than double the season average price for the 2020 wheat crop ($5.05) and a far cry from the $3.89 we saw as recently as the 2016 crop marketing year.

The projected price of wheat for the 2022 crop year is 2.13 times the expected price received by farmers for the 2020 wheat crop. By way of contrast, while it is nothing to sneeze at, the projected 2022 corn price of $6.75 per bushel is 1.49 times the 2020 price. The comparable ratio for soybeans was 1.33 while it was 1.24 for rice.

and:

The Biden administration announced Thursday it would allow farmers to harvest conserved lands early in an attempt to boost supplies amid the global food crisis.

Farmers with Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) contracts expiring this year will be able to voluntarily request a termination following the 2022 primary nesting season which ends between July-August in most states, according to the Department of Agriculture’s Farm Service Agency (FSA). The announcement, designed to mitigate “global food supply challenges" ...

It's especially significant I think that, despite the Biden administration's priorities for carbon sequestration and environmentalism, they are willing to end CRP contracts early. It isn't a rumor. It's a move to deal with something that will happen.

The actionable takeaway is, a person who does a lot of baking with wheat flour would do well to buy it in bulk now, as it will be more than double next year, unless held down by some kind of price control. Wheat flour can be bought in bulk in sealed buckets with long shelf life.

We can expect cereal to rise rapidly in price, wheat cereal more than corn or rice. And, as wheat is an important animal feed, that will be reflected in meat and egg prices too. There is no reason to expect that food will be cheaper anytime in the future than it is now, unless maybe by price control. Any of the things that will be affected, it is prudent to buy them now insofar as one can.
Interesting. Keep in mind that whole wheat flour has a short shelf life though. AP flour has a longer shelf life and is of course made from wheat also.

I bought a 25 lb bag of bread flour last week. I need to get a big enough container for it. Otherwise I've had bug issues keeping it in the paper bag after opening it.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:21 am
Ivygirl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:06 am In terms of planning ahead, it is good to be aware of what is happening (what will happen) to wheat:

and:

Interesting. Keep in mind that whole wheat flour has a short shelf life though. AP flour has a longer shelf life and is of course made from wheat also.

I bought a 25 lb bag of bread flour last week. I need to get a big enough container for it. Otherwise I've had bug issues keeping it in the paper bag after opening it.
Yes, correct that all-purpose flour has longer storage life than whole wheat. Secure bugproof and rodentproof buckets are sold by "readiness supply" outlets, including oxygen absorbers to include in the bucket.

I've had good luck tossing beans and grains in the freezer for a few days after I bring them home, then repackaging. Freezing kills any active larvae. Then I package small amounts in clear glass containers (repurposed from other foods) so I can hold them up to the light and tilt them to check for problems as the items cascade inside. Any problem, back into the freezer it goes. (You probably know all this already, but someone else reading might not.)

A surprisingly good repurposed container is a Nescafe Tasters Choice instant coffee jar.

Editing to add: Always freeze bags of wild bird seed for three days when you bring them in the door, also anything you bought from a bulk bin. You don't know what hitchhikers are in there.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Some of my family members are very pleased with Lidl, Aldi and vegetable markets. I’m very pleased with those and Walmart delivery. I’m still in awe that a 2lb, 4 oz (36 oz) family size tub of exceptionally good coffee is only $10.11. that’s a 3 month’s supply for me.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Fri May 27, 2022 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Ivygirl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:31 am

and:

Yes, correct that all-purpose flour has longer storage life than whole wheat. Secure bugproof and rodentproof buckets are sold by "readiness supply" outlets, including oxygen absorbers to include in the bucket.

I've had good luck tossing beans and grains in the freezer for a few days after I bring them home, then repackaging. Freezing kills any active larvae. Then I package small amounts in clear glass containers (repurposed from other foods) so I can hold them up to the light and tilt them to check for problems as the items cascade inside. Any problem, back into the freezer it goes. (You probably know all this already, but someone else reading might not.)

A surprisingly good repurposed container is a Nescafe Tasters Choice instant coffee jar.

Editing to add: Always freeze bags of wild bird seed for three days when you bring them in the door, also anything you bought from a bulk bin. You don't know what hitchhikers are in there.
A cheap, large storage container is the 5 gallon buckets with lids from home improvement chains. They are around $5-$7. They take up more space than square containers though. You can find pet food containers that hold 25lb+ at discount home stores (like Homegoods) but they are more money. I don't have a cat, but I've seen some litter containers that look perfect for bulk storage.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Pyramid44 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:50 pm

Even Costco isn’t always the cheapest place to buy something depending upon the spot sales at supermarkets. Depends on how far your gas dollars go in getting to a variety of stores.
I find gas cost a factor in either direction. Costco for our older car used for errands is now close to $8 in gas round trip. That can change the equation a little vs relatively cheap local supermarkets (Shoprite and Trader Joe) we can walk to, compared to when gas was half as much. We still go to Costco for a lot of stuff though. Higher gas also pretty much removes from the picture any idea we'd go all around to other driving distance supermarkets (Aldi is further than Costco for us) to pick off stuff here and there which might be occasionally cheaper than Costco. Practically speaking Costco is the cheap place, the relatively cheaper local supermarkets are OK for some stuff (and more variety), Asian markets for special stuff there. We also have expensive Manhattan-like (we're right across the river in NJ) supermarkets around us. I bought bottle of juice in one recently when we ran out, it's a little closer than the cheaper walking distance supermarkets, 2.4 times as much per ounce as bigger bottle of the same brand at Costco. :shock: Places like that can still be OK to get a sandwich though, which I count as 'eating out' and I view the price in comparison with restaurants, not in strict comparison with buying the ingredients and making the sandwich yourself which is a different, admittedly cheaper, product.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:46 am
Ivygirl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:31 am

and:

A cheap, large storage container is the 5 gallon buckets with lids from home improvement chains. They are around $5-$7. They take up more space than square containers though. You can find pet food containers that hold 25lb+ at discount home stores (like Homegoods) but they are more money. I don't have a cat, but I've seen some litter containers that look perfect for bulk storage.
A concern of mine with some buckets is that they may not be food safe plastic, I think there are various kinds. I've heard people have good luck begging empty icing buckets from donut shops and bakeries, which are definitely food safe. Anything not food of course could be stored in any bucket.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

I'm talking a lot on this thread I know. I'd like to mention the importance of intelligence in getting affordable food. Not the intelligence as a quality in one's head, but the intelligence gained by active search for information.

Many have mentioned things like apps, coupon sites, loyalty cards, memberships, and so on for knowing where the good deals are on food. This is the micro strategy.

IMO the macro strategy is knowing what has happened, is happening, will happen as told by the people who know. I come from a farming/ranching background, I live in an agricultural state, and also an energy-producing state. I am interested in food and energy and do internet searches about them. Therefore the Algorithms-That-Be know and show me more stories than are probably showed to people interested in football, classic cars, American history, acoustic guitars, Kardashians, etc. Curiosity about food and energy, searching for terms you may not have been interested in before, can cause you to be shown stories that explain what is happening better than national press or most business news.

I was shown today an op-ed from the Wisconsin State Farmer even though I don't live in Wisconsin, and it gave me a part of puzzle piece for understanding my own supermarket.
Sleepless

Post by Sleepless »

Chardo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:51 am

IMHO: Yes!

1. You control the texture and taste; canned beans can often be mushy, bland
2. Less schlepping from the supermarket -- with cans you are mostly hauling water
3. Soaking the dry beans overnight means fewer anti-nutrients
4. No added salt, additives, etc
5. You avoid the chemicals in the lining. This is pretty scary stuff. See here: https://www.insider.com/guides/health/d ... hat-is-bpa
6. An opportunity to try various legumes -- heirloom and otherwise -- that are not available canned. It's an amazing world out there!

Last but not least:

7. It's a bogleheads thing to do :)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Sleepless wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:24 am
Chardo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:51 am

IMHO: Yes!

1. You control the texture and taste; canned beans can often be mushy, bland
2. Less schlepping from the supermarket -- with cans you are mostly hauling water
3. Soaking the dry beans overnight means fewer anti-nutrients
4. No added salt, additives, etc
5. You avoid the chemicals in the lining. This is pretty scary stuff. See here: https://www.insider.com/guides/health/d ... hat-is-bpa
6. An opportunity to try various legumes -- heirloom and otherwise -- that are not available canned. It's an amazing world out there!

Last but not least:

7. It's a bogleheads thing to do :)
Although (at least for us) dry beans are still significantly cheaper, for the taste alone it would be worth it if they were slightly more expensive. Canned beans are gross.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Almond butter is cheap and nutritious too. I like Justin’s, but there many we many excellent brands.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:38 am Almond butter is cheap and nutritious too. I like Justin’s, but there many we many excellent brands.
Justin's is ~$10 for a 16oz jar (and alternatives aren't much cheaper), I wouldn't consider that cheap.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

stoptothink wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:59 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:38 am Almond butter is cheap and nutritious too. I like Justin’s, but there many we many excellent brands.
Justin's is ~$10 for a 16oz jar (and alternatives aren't much cheaper), I wouldn't consider that cheap.
Fair comment. Almond butter has a good nutritional profile for the cost (and compared to many other sources of high quality protein). I buy Justin’s from Walmart at around $7 for 12 oz, which lasts me about three weeks, but I personally don’t skimp on food, so I pointed out that there are good less expensive brands (no doubt) for the cost conscious.

And I agree on lentils. French lentils and others can be addd to stews dry. You really don’t need to soak small beans overnight, or even boil and strain pasta. You can add both to stews and they cook just fine. But I know saying that borders on sacrilege, and I’m not a gourmet. I’m a single busy person who just wants a home cooked hot nutritious dinner.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Fri May 27, 2022 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

I'm astonished at how much people pay for boneless skinless chicken. Even learn to break down a cheap whole chicken if you really want, but usually you can buy legs and quarters cheaper than a whole chicken.
I tried the following experiment: 3 lb of chicken legs with skin on, priced at 99 cents per pound, into a slow cooker for 3 hours. Discard bones and skin, and weigh the meat.

How much meat do you suppose I got? :?: :?: :?:

I got ONE POUND of meat from THREE POUNDS of legs. I also got one cup of really delicious low sodium chicken broth out of the slow cooker.

I realize some folks process the skin and bones into bone broth, but if you're not going to do that, boneless. skinless chicken breast is the better buy. At the time, canned chicken at Wal-mart was cheaper than 99 cent legs, too. The price of canned chicken at Walmart has gone up so much, that may no longer be true :(.

I repeated the experiment with chicken thighs. I got a little more than one pound, so thighs are a slightly better deal than legs. It was not as good a deal as buying boneless, skinless chicken.

I also bought a rotisserie chicken, picked out the meat, and weighed it. The cost of meat came to $4/lb. Someone has taken the trouble of cooking it for you which counts for something. I also note you can't buy a raw chicken for the cost of a rotisserie chicken.

What do you reckon is the best deal for chicken?
Last edited by Church Lady on Fri May 27, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

stoptothink wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:59 am
If looking for almond butter, Costco's Kirkland almond butter is at very good price. We swing between them. A month of peanut and a month of almond. Price per ounce: 25c. Ingredient list is just one: roasted almonds.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Church Lady wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:13 am
I'm astonished at how much people pay for boneless skinless chicken. Even learn to break down a cheap whole chicken if you really want, but usually you can buy legs and quarters cheaper than a whole chicken.
I tried the following experiment: 3 lb of chicken legs with skin on, priced at 99 cents per pound, into a slow cooker for 3 hours. Discard bones and skin, and weigh the meat.

I got ONE POUND of meat from THREE POUNDS of legs. I also got one cup of really delicious low sodium chicken broth out of the slow cooker.

I realize some folks process the skin and bones into bone broth, but if you're not going to do that, boneless chicken breast is the better buy. At the time, canned chicken at Wal-mart was cheaper than 99 cent legs, too. The price of canned chicken at Walmart has gone up so much, that may no longer be true :(.

I repeated the experiment with chicken thighs. I got a little more than one pound, so thighs are a slightly better deal than legs. It was not as good a deal as buying boneless, skinless chicken.

I also bought a rotisserie chicken, picked out the meat, and weighed it. The cost of meat came to $4/lb. Someone has taken the trouble of cooking it for you which counts for something. I also note you can't buy a raw chicken for the cost of a rotisserie chicken.

I've done similar experiments. Fact is, boneless skinless chicken breast is similar (if not cheaper) than a full chicken in regards to actual cost of meat/lb. Although we don't really like it, we've been buying canned chicken lately because it's about the same cost (per lb) as chicken breast is right now and (obviously) more convenient to store.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Church Lady wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:13 am

I realize some folks process the skin and bones into bone broth, but if you're not going to do that, boneless chicken breast is the better buy. At the time, canned chicken at Wal-mart was cheaper than 99 cent legs, too. The price of canned chicken at Walmart has gone up so much, that may no longer be true :(.

This is an asymmetric and interesting aspect of groceries. Costco's cauliflower 2 pound bag is all florets. But the supermarket cauliflower(head) is at the same price per lb. But it includes stalk-stem & leaves. You can expand that to broccoli, spinach or any vegetables.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

cbs2002 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:15 am I live in a major city and probably have a dozen options within a mile, so this may or may not be helpful.

Look for stores that serve Mexican, Central American, South Asian and East Asian populations.
This is excellent advice for where I live. The little store I go to has produce being taken straight from farmer's truck to the shelves. Vastly better quality and pricing than the big supermarket chains.
Last edited by Luckywon on Fri May 27, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

muffins14 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:16 pm
FireProof wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:30 am For me in New York City, the main thing that has gone up is eggs. It went up from 1.29/dozen to $2.29! But overall it's not so bad, and there are a lot of illogical prices. For example, a gallon of milk has gone up from $2.60 to $3.50, but a half gallon is still the same at $1.49, so it's actually cheaper to get two half gallons!

Where are these $1 blackberries? I see like $4+ these days for blueberries, blackberries, raspberries if I remember correctly. We are usually at Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods, which seem cheaper than a Union Market or a West Side Market, but maybe more than a Key food?
Street produce stands (specifically the three on E. 86 St). The prices on 86 and 2nd today were pint blackberries for $1, pint cherry tomatoes for $1, pint raspberries for $2, 1 lb strawberries at 2/$3. In my experience, berries, cherry tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, cucumbers are always cheaper than the cheapest supermarket, and often a fraction of the price. I haven't had any problem with quality, although I always inspect beforehand, and sometimes the blueberries are no good.
Last edited by FireProof on Fri May 27, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Church Lady wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:13 am What do you reckon is the best deal for chicken?
$2.99/lb for boneless skinless chicken breasts, whenever/wherever you can find it. That's as low as it gets, these days.
ray.james wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:27 am This is an asymmetric and interesting aspect of groceries. Costco's cauliflower 2 pound bag is all florets. But the supermarket cauliflower(head) is at the same price per lb. But it includes stalk-stem & leaves. You can expand that to broccoli, spinach or any vegetables.
You can eat broccoli stalk/leaves and spinach stems.

Any produce that tends to be quite a bit per pound (like cauliflower) is a better deal at TJs.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

Beensabu wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:36 am
Church Lady wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:13 am What do you reckon is the best deal for chicken?
$2.99/lb for boneless skinless chicken breasts, whenever/wherever you can find it. That's as low as it gets, these days.
ray.james wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:27 am This is an asymmetric and interesting aspect of groceries. Costco's cauliflower 2 pound bag is all florets. But the supermarket cauliflower(head) is at the same price per lb. But it includes stalk-stem & leaves. You can expand that to broccoli, spinach or any vegetables.
You can eat broccoli stalk/leaves and spinach stems.

Any produce that tends to be quite a bit per pound (like cauliflower) is a better deal at TJs.
I pay $1.99 for boneless chicken breasts at Lidl. Everyday price, used to be $1.89.