BB Pistol for Dad & Son Target Practice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
windaar

BB Pistol for Dad & Son Target Practice

Post by windaar »

My kid and I love to shoot at paper targets in the backyard with my own Dad's 1940s Daisy BB gun. We'd like to shoot with pistols as well but on Amazon I am completely lost; so many scary-looking and probably too-powerful air guns for what we want, which is just plinking at a paper target. This may be a long shot for this forum but I'm hoping for any advice on a BB pistol, CO2 or lever, which would be the easiest and most fun for what we do. Thanks in advance!
Nobody knows nothing.
livesoft

Re: BB Pistol for Dad & Son Target Practice

Post by livesoft »

You are asking about Airsoft guns, right?

You already know this, but for others: Safety first! I know of two different teenagers who hurt themselves: (1) One is a living vegetable after being shot in the head: breathes on his own, but nothing else and (2) the other has lost an eye.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

Not really an expert, but I used to have a Beeman p3 I really enjoyed, a single pump pneumatic that shot .177 pellets. It was more than accurate enough for me shooting paper targets in the backyard (back when my backyard was 50+ acres).

I haven't shot actual bb's in year, which are great for tin cans, but pellets seem to be quite a bit more accurate for paper targets with scores.

Standard disclaimer, these aren't toys, and you really need to make sure you have a solid backstop.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

windaar wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:04 pm My kid and I love to shoot at paper targets in the backyard with my own Dad's 1940s Daisy BB gun. We'd like to shoot with pistols as well but on Amazon I am completely lost; so many scary-looking and probably too-powerful air guns for what we want, which is just plinking at a paper target. This may be a long shot for this forum but I'm hoping for any advice on a BB pistol, CO2 or lever, which would be the easiest and most fun for what we do. Thanks in advance!
To OP:
1. Match "what" you are doing. . to "where" you are doing it. . .

2. Are you in a neighborhood with 3 homes around you, one on each side and one in back?

3. Is the backdrop going to be a safety catch (made for this) and beyond that, the property fence and the neighbor's property?

4. Hypothetically. . . . in the proposed direction of practice, could you also launch a golf ball with an iron, a wood, or a driver. . . 60 yards. . . 180 yards. . . 300 yards. . . without hitting the roof or window of another home? (not saying I have any experience doing this. . .. I have a driving range on my property.)

5. Do you live on acreage and beyond your fence lines are 300,000 acres of vast ranch lands and National Forests with a clear line of sight for 2 miles in all directions?
(an example). . . . .

To OP:
6. Effective range of a .22 or .177 cal. Benjamin Air Rifle (the type sold in the Sears Catalog and grandpa or dad used to have. . . 150-200 feet.
(an example)
Larger air driven calibers, etc, = far greater range and impact.
Another example for comparison of CONSUMER PRODUCTS ONLY: .50 cal. Barrett. Center Fire. Range: 1500+ yards.

7. Sound considerations: if in a neighborhood. . . . there is a distinctive "crack" of various air rifles and pistols that should be considered. . . .

8. Various Airsoft replicas that use plastic pellets/balls for paper targets. . .
However. . . at 400 fps. . . and a maximum range of 200 feet, an Airsoft. . . is still something to be considered. . . and so forth.
MYTH: that Airsoft Consumer Products are in some way less or lesser than the above products.
So, the concerns are the same as the above "CONSUMER PRODUCTS".

9. PaintBall products: range: 80-100 feet.

J :D :D
Per forum guidelines: To OP: PM me as you wish for further details.

Some of my fondest memories were target practice on my dads cattle ranch (vast) with family growing up. Then in later years with my own family when we lived on large country spreads.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon May 23, 2022 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Also pick up your used projectiles and dispose of them properly. I come across plastic pellets routinely when backpacking. Clearly, someone was out doing something illegal. There are indoor ranges for target practice.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

livesoft wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:25 pm You are asking about Airsoft guns, right?

You already know this, but for others: Safety first! I know of two different teenagers who hurt themselves: (1) One is a living vegetable after being shot in the head: breathes on his own, but nothing else and (2) the other has lost an eye.
Probably not asking about Airsoft guns. The general definition I've seen of these things is that they look like a real gun, but fire plastic pellets. In general, I think this setup is much less accurate than a traditional pellet gun. I can think of situations where an airsoft gun is useful training for self-defense purposes but it's not something I'd pick for target shooting. I'll point out that having something that looks a LOT like a real firearm is not necessarily a good thing in all situations.

Something like the Beaman another poster mentioned would be reasonably accurate. These pump airguns can be difficult to cock (the step that compresses the air for the shot) and depending on the age of the child it might be difficult/unsafe for him to try and cock the gun. You can also get pellet guns that use CO2 cartridges to fire the pellet, hence avoiding that problem but adding the cost of the CO2 cartridges.

Yes, it is important to understand and follow firearm safety rules when using pellet guns as well as real guns. This extends to having an appropriate backstop if you are shooting in your backyard. Always be thinking, "what if the family dog or someone's kid is wandering around behind my target?"
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

livesoft wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:21 pm Also pick up your used projectiles and dispose of them properly. I come across plastic pellets routinely when backpacking. Clearly, someone was out doing something illegal. There are indoor ranges for target practice.
It's not necessarily illegal to fire a pellet gun outdoors. Googling tells me that target shooting is generally allowed in national forests, though not national parks.

I can't argue that it would be better to cleanup. At least pellet guns are quiet, unlike ATVs, motorcycles, etc. But I digress. Of course, cleanup extends to beer cans, plastic plates .... there are a whole lot of things I see outdoors that I wish somebody had packed back out.

You may not be aware It can be a pain to find and use a shooting range in some places. Indoor ranges usually cost to rent a lane (and I don't care how good you tell me the filtration system is, a range full of people shooting guns is putting a lot of stuff in the air ...) and joining a club that has an outdoor range can often be more trouble than you'd think (waiting list, membership cost etc).

That said, it is important to find a safe place to shoot and reasonably clean up. One's backyard in the country might or might not be such a place. If it is not, you need to find a better place.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I'm sorry I don't really have a BB gun recommendation. I shoot pellets when I shoot airguns because they're more accurate and BBs are rough on a barrel's rifling.

That said, the Beaman P3 is good, a bit of a bear to pump and has some sharp edges, though.

The Crossman 1322 or 1377 is a good pellet gun. Mine is really pretty accurate with the right pellet - even with the open sights. I tend to shoot that over my P3.

I like pumps because they are more consistent and don't need CO2 cartridges.

Good luck and have fun!

JT
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

livesoft wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:25 pm You are asking about Airsoft guns, right?

I had an acquaintance that as a kid went blind in one eye due to an errant BB gun shot.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon May 23, 2022 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

" You'll shoot your eye out".
All the Best, | Joe
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

I suggest a .177 pellet (same diameter as a BB) pistol as they are more accurate. A pump-up or spring piston mechanism might be best for a beginner. Those powered by C02 cartridges seem wasteful due to the empty cylinders and the hassle/cost of buying them.

Airguns of Arizona is a great site to purchase from, or research what is possible: https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/air-pistols/
They sell everything from "Bass Pro" grade to Olympic-class - about a 40X price differential not counting the compressor or separate pump to power the high-end stuff.

When using paper targets, I recommend hanging them in a pellet/bullet trap such as made by Do-All Outdoors. The ones made for rim-fire bullets work great for lead pellets, but a harder BB might bounce out of them.
RoadThunder

Post by RoadThunder »

Don’t listen to the no fun club - get a quality CO2 rifle- many have a full auto feature. However, I would recommend painting the upper receiver or at least the barrel in a high glow yellow or green. Modern BB guns are typically replica firearms, so the additional safety color will help in miss identification and representation of the weapon. Wear safety glasses, and practice 100% firearms safety procedures.

I made a career of carrying a weapon professionally for the .gov, it’s a tool that requires skill and maturity.

Rock on dad !
hudson

Post by hudson »

Start with this....https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring ... w70a-.177/
and a tin of pellets. I like spring piston where you pull down the barrel, load, put the barrel back, take off the safety and fire. It's easy to manage and supervise. I know 6 children, now all in their 40s that learned safe pistol handling with an airgun like this.

Weihrauch is quality.
I added a scope so that I could see where the pellet hit the target without walking to the target.

Maybe call the company in the link above and see what they recommend.

A lever action Daisy BB rifle is a good starter.
Topic Author
windaar

Post by windaar »

Thanks for the responses. My question is about a good BB pistol, as stated in original post. Not airsoft, not pellets, not rifle, not safety, not legality.
Nobody knows nothing.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

windaar wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:04 pm My kid and I love to shoot at paper targets in the backyard with my own Dad's 1940s Daisy BB gun. We'd like to shoot with pistols as well but on Amazon I am completely lost; so many scary-looking and probably too-powerful air guns for what we want, which is just plinking at a paper target. This may be a long shot for this forum but I'm hoping for any advice on a BB pistol, CO2 or lever, which would be the easiest and most fun for what we do. Thanks in advance!
We love our air rifle and target shoot all year. we have an indoor "trap" that we shoot into. Go to pyramid air, they have an amazing selection and its where we got our guns from.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

windaar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:41 am Thanks for the responses. My question is about a good BB pistol, as stated in original post. Not airsoft, not pellets, not rifle, not safety, not legality.
.177 caliber pellet and BB's can be shot out of the same air gun.
The Crossman Pump models have been around since the old Sears Catalogs were in print. They are reliable and solid.
For Co2 powered in a rifle:
https://smile.amazon.com/Crosman-1077-R ... =8-10&th=1
For Co2 in a .22 pistol.
https://smile.amazon.com/Crosman-2240-A ... HJ1ZQ&th=1

For the same model but in pump.
My children growing up liked the Co2 models when they had a hard time using the pump. Later, they liked the greater power and accuracy of the pump.
.177 pellet and BB single shot in a pump pistol.
https://smile.amazon.com/Crosman-P1377- ... th=1&psc=1

For .22 pellets only in a reliable Co2 (extra info for you)
https://smile.amazon.com/Crosman-2240-A ... HJ1ZQ&th=1

For a reliable basic BB pistol in Co2 function.
https://smile.amazon.com/Crosman-P10KT- ... 143&sr=8-1
It's a good starter fun model, especially to see if you and your son get "hooked" and get another one.
It's not heavy and bulky like some others that are tougher for small hands.

The advantages of a pump model are that when it's not pumped up, it's disabled.
The disadvantages of pump air rifles n pistols are; no multi shot, only pump and single shot.

The advantages of a Co2 air model is not having to pump, multi shot capability.
Disadvantages are having to buy Co2 cartridges, removing half used c artridges once done for safety even though only half the air is used, etc.

***Second the above suggestion to go to Pyramid Air:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... eG_dSZ9sza

Have a great time.
There's so many fun things for a dad and son to do that also teach many other good things, this is one timeless one, older than the Sears Printed Catalog.
j :D

Dis laimer: above based on decades of having over a dozen various air pistols and rifles, with sons and family,.
Dis laimer: zillions of opinionizations and ways of these things based on a zillion actual experiences and non actual experiences by zllions of folks, this is only one .
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon May 23, 2022 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

TierArtz wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:52 pm I suggest a .177 pellet (same diameter as a BB) pistol as they are more accurate. A pump-up or spring piston mechanism might be best for a beginner. Those powered by C02 cartridges seem wasteful due to the empty cylinders and the hassle/cost of buying them.

Airguns of Arizona is a great site to purchase from, or research what is possible: https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/air-pistols/
They sell everything from "Bass Pro" grade to Olympic-class - about a 40X price differential not counting the compressor or separate pump to power the high-end stuff.

When using paper targets, I recommend hanging them in a pellet/bullet trap such as made by Do-All Outdoors. The ones made for rim-fire bullets work great for lead pellets, but a harder BB might bounce out of them.
"When using paper targets, I recommend hanging them in a pellet/bullet trap such as made by Do-All Outdoors. The ones made for rim-fire bullets work great for lead pellets, but a harder BB might bounce out of them."

They work great for pellets and BB's - even low powered rim fire.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:45 pm CONSUMER PRODUCTS:
I don’t really understand why you are saying this in all caps so much, is this some kind of coded message, or a hint to mods to move it to a different forum or something? Why do you write it in this way?
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

I like the recommendation from bottlecap, the Crossman 1377 would be a good one.

Enjoy! The enjoyment of target shooting with a dad is one of my favorite childhood memories. His old fence surely has several pounds of added material to it as I bet I shot an average a 100 BBs a day into it for ten years.

Some bizarre posts on this thread…
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

windaar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:41 am Thanks for the responses. My question is about a good BB pistol, as stated in original post. Not airsoft, not pellets, not rifle, not safety, not legality.
Sorry you haven't found many of the responses helpful. My experience is mostly with pellet guns and airsoft. I think pellet guns are a lot more accurate than BB guns, hence I tend to focus on them.

If it is BB guns or nothing, my thoughts would be:

1) How many shots can you get from a CO2 cartridge, and what is the cost -- you can decide whether you want CO2 pistol or not
2) How big is your son's hands? It is hard to shoot a pistol when the grip is too big for your hands. Also, some guns have a much heavier trigger pull than others.
3) Is there an outdoor store around you where you can physically lay hands on a few to try?

And finally, there are tons of these thing under $100. I mean, just buy one after pondering the answers to my questions 1) and 2).
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

joe8d wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:56 pm " You'll shoot your eye out".
LOL! That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of the post! I've used that phrase with my kids a million times when they want to do something that freaks me out. They're in their forties, and I still say it!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Silverado wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:24 am I like the recommendation from bottlecap, the Crossman 1377 would be a good one.

Enjoy! The enjoyment of target shooting with a dad is one of my favorite childhood memories. His old fence surely has several pounds of added material to it as I bet I shot an average a 100 BBs a day into it for ten years.

+1
Same here.
Such fond memories of that Crossman 1377.
It was handed down from brother to brother to son to son.
The old models were all wood, no plastic.
https://smile.amazon.com/Crosman-P1377B ... NrPXRydWU=

Thanks for sharing.
Good memories indeed.
j :D :D
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

TN_Boy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:27 am [Sorry you haven't found many of the responses helpful. My experience is mostly with pellet guns and airsoft. I think pellet guns are a lot more accurate than BB guns, hence I tend to focus on them.

I
I have to agree with TN_Boy......BB type pistols or rifles, be it spring action, break barrel or C02 are, IMHO, the next thing to being ineffective. Pellet type projectiles are the real thing. When I was a kid, my two brothers and I had multiple type of BB and air pump rifles and pistols. Then, as an adult, I discovered Pre-charged Pneumatic (PCP) charged guns or adult toys as I prefer to call them. They're not cheap, but they are the best of the best.... bar NONE!

https://www.pyramydair.com/air-guns/pistols/pcp-pistols

As an adult, I tried several break barrel type pellet rifles in .177 and .22 caliber....disappointing results.! 10 years ago I purchased a Benjamin Marauder PCP pellet rifle in .25 caliber; cost was just shy of $1000.00 for gun and accessories. Best purchase I ever made....ever!

Good luck, BE SAFE and have fun! :sharebeer
RoadThunder

Post by RoadThunder »

Your concern about “scary looking” BB guns and get offended when people encourage safety ? Lol
tm3

Post by tm3 »

I know you said "BB" but I would recommend your considering a .177 pellet pistol as they are more accurate and the pellets do not ricochet like BBs (which, as you recall, is how Ralphie almost put his eye out).

The Beeman P3 and its Chinese clone, the Beeman P17, are great pistols but I doubt that your son would be able to comfortably cock them.

If I were you I would take a look at the Crosman 1377 or the Crosman 2240. The 1377 advantage is that its power is from pumping 1 to 8 strokes -- the disadvantage is whether your son will be able to pump it. The 2240 runs off of CO2 which means no pumping, but you have the additional expense and hassle of CO2 cartridges plus it is loud. You can buy a silencer for it and I would not shoot one without a silencer or hearing protection.

You can find a lot more information at specific airgun forums like gatewaytoairguns and airgunnation.
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

I'll give you an old anecdote that might help with safety.

My great aunt and uncle had an old bb rifle that I thought was neat to use. I shot apples with it for amusement. I think I was about 10 or 11.

One day I set up an empty tin can on a low bench about 10 or 15 feet away, and shot at the bottom of the can, which was facing me. I hit it dead center, and was surprised to see the bb getting visually larger and larger as it rebounded off the can, and hit me directly between the eyes at the top of my nose.

I put the bb gun away after that. I think I was an inch or so away from possibly losing my sight. I guess the lesson is only shoot at soft targets. And also that odd stuff can happen.

Good luck.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Boglegrappler wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:47 am I'll give you an old anecdote that might help with safety.

My great aunt and uncle had an old bb rifle that I thought was neat to use. I shot apples with it for amusement. I think I was about 10 or 11.

One day I set up an empty tin can on a low bench about 10 or 15 feet away, and shot at the bottom of the can, which was facing me. I hit it dead center, and was surprised to see the bb getting visually larger and larger as it rebounded off the can, and hit me directly between the eyes at the top of my nose.

I put the bb gun away after that. I think I was an inch or so away from possibly losing my sight. I guess the lesson is only shoot at soft targets. And also that odd stuff can happen.

Good luck.
It's a club with many members.

I had a BB gun at about age 12 and to test my skill I wedged a penny into the bark of the oak tree in our backyard and took a shot at it. Sure enough I nailed it but the BB came straight back and hit me right in the center of the left lens of my glasses. To this day I'm thankful that I was wearing those glasses.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Very outdated experience from my childhood years ago:
When I was a kid I had a couple of BB rifles and a couple of BB pistols. I did not enjoy shooting the BB pistols at all. One required CO2 cartridges which did not last long. It was also so much more powerful than other BB guns that my parents were reluctant to let me shoot it without supervision. The other BB pistol was very hard for me to cock at that age and required manually loading a BB or pellet for each shot. It was a very slow and inconvenient process for very little enjoyment in return. In addition, neither BB pistol was very accurate beyond close range so that added to my lack of enjoyment.

You may be able to make this a fun experience for your kid, but based on my experience with much older BB pistols than are available now I am skeptical. I would suggest finding something that is easy to shoot, does not require a lot of effort between shots, and has some expectation of accuracy. I do wish you the best of luck as my friends and I had many fun experiences with our BB guns--albeit they were almost all BB rifles of the Daisy types. And no eyes were lost in the making of that fun!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Classics:

Crossman Pump Master .177 or BB's.
https://smile.amazon.com/Crosman®-Pumpm ... 154&sr=8-3

The timeless "Marksman Repeater" BB pistol, spring loaded, no C02 was perfect for short range fun. But, is no longer sold. You may be able to find a used on in mint to like new condition on Ebay. Operation is very very simple.

Crossman: spring powered BB pistol.
https://smile.amazon.com/Crosman-PSM45- ... 144&sr=8-1

Daisy: Powerline 426 BB Pistol Spring Powered.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B79P1SI/?t ... airpist-20

I hope this is helpful for your shopping and needs.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

tm3 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:43 am I know you said "BB" but I would recommend your considering a .177 pellet pistol as they are more accurate and the pellets do not ricochet like BBs (which, as you recall, is how Ralphie almost put his eye out).
+100

Good point about the ricochet affect. I remember a pirate kid in our neighborhood......
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

Discharging a BB gun is illegal in my tony suburban town, 1/2 acre zoning. I'm glad about that.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

fishandgolf wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:07 am
tm3 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:43 am I know you said "BB" but I would recommend your considering a .177 pellet pistol as they are more accurate and the pellets do not ricochet like BBs (which, as you recall, is how Ralphie almost put his eye out).
+100

Good point about the ricochet affect. I remember a pirate kid in our neighborhood......
Are the pellets still lead / lead alloy? Some people also get bent out of shape about handling lead and slinging lead down range.

Get a BB gun and wear safety glasses, just like the manual probably says. Zero danger, much fun.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Silverado wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:19 am
+100

Are the pellets still lead / lead alloy? Some people also get bent out of shape about handling lead and slinging lead down range.

Get a BB gun and wear safety glasses, just like the manual probably says. Zero danger, much fun.
Most BBs nowadays are not lead which is why they ricochet so badly; this is what is on the shelf at Walmart, etc.

Lead BBs can be found, as well as BBs that are designed to fragment upon impact -- I think they are called "dust devils."
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Everyone in my town grew up with guns in the 1950's where during hunting season there would often be rifles or shotguns on gun racks in trucks parked in our high school parking lot. As such, we taught our children about guns and began with BB guns, then to 22 rifles, etc. That may not be your choice, but there are shooting ranges, inside and outside ones, in many areas. We went to an outside range. They are carefully controlled and provided information that is valuable regarding gun safety and a safe place to shoot. Interestingly, those times are fondly recalled by our children, both of whom have little or no present interest in owning guns. As always, different circumstances prevail. However, you decide, thank you for considering safety.

Tim
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

Silverado wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:19 am Are the pellets still lead / lead alloy? Some people also get bent out of shape about handling lead and slinging lead down range.
As far as I know, common BB's were always steel with a brass or copper plating. Hard round balls ricochet easily. There are some lead BBs, and specialty compound BBs, but they are not common.

Pellets are typically lead with tin and perhaps antimony (just like real bullet alloys). There could be other materials such as steel or zinc alloys, but dense materials are best for the pellet to maintain its speed. They also need to be soft, especially in low powered guns, to make a good air seal to the barrel. Non-toxics are all the rage now, so there will be more lead free choices, but they won't perform as well. For shooting paper, density doesn't matter much.

As someone who reloads ammunition, soldered pipes with the older lead solder, and built electronic items in the 1970's (more soldering), I have no issues with touching lead.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

crefwatch wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:07 am Discharging a BB gun is illegal in my tony suburban town, 1/2 acre zoning. I'm glad about that.
Seems like gross overreach to me. Air guns can easily be shot indoors. Do they grant an exemption for that? For the lower powered guns, they are pretty much out of steam past 60-80 feet, especially BBs. You'll know if a pellet hits you, but it is only an issue if it hits the eye at that range. Adult air guns (600 feet per second and higher) can be a problem for neighbors. But so can bows if someone wants to do archery practice, or baseballs.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

Good on you, dad. Safety first :sharebeer

I'd probably start with something like the Crossman 1377 and eventually if you want to give your kid any training more towards a real pistol you can pick up a CO2 model that'll add slide movement and recoil.

Edited to add that I would probably pick up at least some lead pellets. They'll work in the same pistol and will be much more accurate if you ever want to shoot more than a few feet. As mentioned, they'll have significantly less risk of a bounce back as well, though they will cost more per shot.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:00 pm Good on you, dad. Safety first :sharebeer

I'd probably start with something like the Crossman 1377 and eventually if you want to give your kid any training more towards a real pistol you can pick up a CO2 model that'll add slide movement and recoil.

Edited to add that I would probably pick up at least some lead pellets. They'll work in the same pistol and will be much more accurate if you ever want to shoot more than a few feet. As mentioned, they'll have significantly less risk of a bounce back as well, though they will cost more per shot.
+1
Since "way back when". . . . "dad's and sons", "parents and child", "uncles and aunties and . . . . " have done "target practice" with air pistols and air rifles. . . . .

The Crossman "Backpacker" (1377) and similar types might be considered "timeless". . .similar is the "Marksman" BB pistol which, unfortunately is no longer made.
As iconic as the Sears Catalog (in paper version. . . . )

Enjoy.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

suemarkp wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:17 pm
Silverado wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:19 am Are the pellets still lead / lead alloy? Some people also get bent out of shape about handling lead and slinging lead down range.
As far as I know, common BB's were always steel with a brass or copper plating. Hard round balls ricochet easily. There are some lead BBs, and specialty compound BBs, but they are not common.

Pellets are typically lead with tin and perhaps antimony (just like real bullet alloys). There could be other materials such as steel or zinc alloys, but dense materials are best for the pellet to maintain its speed. They also need to be soft, especially in low powered guns, to make a good air seal to the barrel. Non-toxics are all the rage now, so there will be more lead free choices, but they won't perform as well. For shooting paper, density doesn't matter much.

As someone who reloads ammunition, soldered pipes with the older lead solder, and built electronic items in the 1970's (more soldering), I have no issues with touching lead.
Yeah, I've never seen a lead BB.

I don't mind touching lead either, but I think it a good practice after reloading, etc, to thoroughly wash hands.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

crefwatch wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:07 am Discharging a BB gun is illegal in my tony suburban town, 1/2 acre zoning. I'm glad about that.
It's illegal in my town also, but not illegal indoors in your own home, and the OP may be out of city limits.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Silverado wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:19 am
+100

Right, eye protection is a standard safety precaution with "real" firearms or things like BB guns.

Eye protection is a good idea doing a lot of things ...
hudson

Post by hudson »

I can't find a BB pistol that isn't also a replica.
I was looking for something that shot BBs that was not a replica...no luck.
Here's a CO2/BB pistol by Sig
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sig-sau ... -bb-pistol
I wonder how loud it is? It would be fun to hang a 20 oz. plastic bottle off of a tree in the back yard and take pot shots.
Hanksmoney

Post by Hanksmoney »

My experience comes from 20 years ago but back then, spring loaded or air pump worked good for rifles but didn’t have enough umph for a pistol. You don’t have a huge leverage point for cocking. That’s why pistols did better with CO2. Maybe the game has changed but that’s what I remember.
slickracer

Post by slickracer »

Silverado wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:24 am I like the recommendation from bottlecap, the Crossman 1377 would be a good one.

I agree the Crossman 1377 would be ideal. Interesting how threads like this always bring out the antigunners.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Wonder where Windaar went? Hope he didn't shoot his eye out!
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I'm not familiar with any dedicated BB pistols, which is part of why the recommendations in this thread keep returning to pellets.

My understanding is the Crossman 1377 used to include a magnet on the face of the bolt to make it viable to shoot BB's, but in more recent years it was removed. While trying to find more information, I found some suggestions that steel BB's would wear the rifling out faster than lead pellets, but the same would apply to air rifles that fire both pellets and BB's like the Crossman 760, so unless someone can verify the barrel tolerances or material are different, that appears to me to just be forum speculation.

Besides, if you plan to only shoot BB's, it won't matter much if the rifling is worn out. If you ever do want to shoot pellets, a second 1377 is a relatively inexpensive additional purchase, or you might even be able to buy a replacement barrel.

Because pellets are sized for a tight fit in the barrel, they load securely without retention. BB's fit with a slight clearance, so without the magnet, they will roll out the end of the barrel if tipped downward at all.

Perhaps you might be able to find an older 1377 with the magnetic bolt.
Topic Author
windaar

Post by windaar »

tm3 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:17 amWonder where Windaar went? Hope he didn't shoot his eye out!
I've been here all along. I ended up ordering a Daisy Powerline 340 (manual) for $29 and a Crosman P10 (CO2) for 39. Both dedicated BB pistols.
Nobody knows nothing.
hudson

Post by hudson »

windaar wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:31 pm
tm3 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:17 amWonder where Windaar went? Hope he didn't shoot his eye out!
I've been here all along. I ended up ordering a Daisy Powerline 340 (manual) for $29 and a Crosman P10 (CO2) for 39. Both dedicated BB pistols.
Thanks windaar!
The P10 looks like a good choice. I'll test drive one.
https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-P10KT-Po ... B079TM4SH2
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Great, hope you like them! I encourage you to set up a safe backstop to eliminate ricochet, and use hearing protection as the impulse noise from a CO2 pistol is enough to damage hearing.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Those are really nice for what you need.

Congratulations on having fun.

Thanks for the update: