Investing in Texas

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Petragypsy

Investing in Texas

Post by Petragypsy »

I moved from Canada to Texas and have some money to invest. I’m a PR in USA now.
I don’t have dependents and I want to invest so that I can work part time only and enjoy a monthly income from my investment. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
artpennypacker

Re: Investing in Texas

Post by artpennypacker »

Needs a lot of details before anyone can help you.

viewtopic.php?t=6212

What’s “pr” for clarification?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

artpennypacker wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:28 pm Needs a lot of details before anyone can help you.

viewtopic.php?t=6212

Permanent resident.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

artpennypacker wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:28 pm
Permanent Resident. PRs have Green Cards.
A lawful permanent resident is someone who has been granted the right to live in the United States indefinitely. Permanent residence includes the right to work in the U.S. for most employers or for yourself. Permanent residents continue to hold citizenship of another country.
Cheers
Topic Author
Petragypsy

Post by Petragypsy »

I’m happy to answer what ever detail is needed
I am a permanent resident with Canadian citizenship
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Petragypsy wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:37 pm I’m happy to answer what ever detail is needed
I am a permanent resident with Canadian citizenship
Use the format in the link provided by artpennypacker above. You should edit your original post when doing so.

Cheers
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Petragypsy wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:17 pm I moved from Canada to Texas and have some money to invest. I’m a PR in USA now.
I don’t have dependents and I want to invest so that I can work part time only and enjoy a monthly income from my investment. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
If you are employed that's one set of issues.

If just living off passive income, that's another.

BTW if you are a long term investor, as much as 2/3rds of your total return will come from reinvested dividends on the portfolio.

Clearly in retirement you need that money so that's less relevant. But if you are still in your accumulation phase it's potentially quite important.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I don’t think the answer/strategy is different for TX than for any other state, except you don’t have to worry about state income taxes. Investing enough such that it creates enough income such that you would work takes many years to achieve.
Sufferlandrian

Post by Sufferlandrian »

Congratulations on moving to the best-worst state in the country, I really miss it. Especially HEB. If you survive your first summer you'll be Ok.

No Texas-specific investment strategies. You won't have state income taxes, but you will have higher property taxes and an 8.25% sales tax.
Learning to fish.