Critique my summer Hawaii vacation plan (plus camera?).

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
new2bogle

Critique my summer Hawaii vacation plan (plus camera?).

Post by new2bogle »

We're doing a family vacation to the Big Island, Maui and Oahu this summer, 6 days in each location, two parents and 3 elementary aged kids. We've got our flights/Airbnbs/Vehicles booked as well as some tours that needed advanced purchase. I am filling in the rest of the days with things to do.

But first: do I need a camera separate from our iphone 13 pro and 13 pro max? I have an older DSLR (nikon D5000, zoom + 35mm lens), but the idea of carrying around that much bulk is not exciting. I am not opposed to spending a few hundred on a new point and shoot if the quality is better than the iphone 13's, but not so much for one of those newer mirrorless cameras.

Day ...... Activity
1) *Arrive in Kona, get acclimated, visit Pu`uhonu (Place of Refuge)
2) *Submarine adventure first half of day, visit Mauna Kea second half
3) Tour southern Big Island (green and black beaches, etc)
4) Day trip to Hilo, Akaka falls, Japanese garden, Bioreserve garden Waipio Valley
5) *Bee tour, *coffee tour, Captain Cook hike
6) Hawaii Volcanoes park, Sea Arch hike, Kalapana
7) *Fly to Maui, rest/beach day
8) *Sunrise at Halekala, stay at park for hiking
9) nothing planned
10) *Maui Ocean Center, Iao Valley, banyan tree
11) Road to Hana - bunch of stops planned
12) *Waterfall walk, *Old Lahaina Luau
13) *Fly to Honolulu
14) Diamond Head, train ride, Hamama Falls, Lulumahu Falls
15) Laniakea Beach/Turtle beach, Byodo-In temple
16) *Turtle Snorkeling, Dole plantation
17) *PCC at noon-dinner
18) *Kualoa Ranch (2 hour tour)
19) *Fly back to mainland

Activities marked with an '*' are pre-reserved/mostly non-refundable tickets. I am pretty open to ideas/suggestions, especially on days that are not already pre-booked and places that are a must visit or any general advice.

Thanks!
livesoft

Re: Critique my summer Hawaii vacation plan (plus camera?).

Post by livesoft »

I do not think you need a separate camera. Some folks get a cheap underwater 35 mm film disposable camera to take snorkeling. Maybe even those have now been replaced with cheap underwater digital disposable cameras?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

livesoft wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:57 am I do not think you need a separate camera. Some folks get a cheap underwater 35 mm film disposable camera to take snorkeling. Maybe even those have now been replaced with cheap underwater digital disposable cameras?
Ah yes, I do have a cheap digital underwater camera.
shelanman

Post by shelanman »

While in Maui, I recommend doing an early-morning Kayak/Snorkel trip with Maui Kayak Adventures (https://mauikayakadventures.com/). They have excellent early morning trips from either Makena Bay or Olowalu. I've done both and had a blast. You'll have one guide per 6-8 participants. You'll start at the beach, head out into the water, kayak around and then hop into the water. Difficulty level is pretty low, over the course of two hours you'll kayak a total of about a mile. Their guides are excellent, and the price includes the photos they'll take with their gopro.

They operate early morning only, departing at 7AM (you'll be ashore and done by 10:30-11:00) and are super fun. Definitely one of my favorite things I did on Maui. If you do the one in Makena Bay, there are a number of good breakfast stops in Kihei about a mile down the road for after. I was pretty hungry after, which made the loco moco very tasty indeed. Tell them whether you want one- or two-person boats when you reserve. Personally, I like doing the two-person boats (so long as you have the right number of people for that)

Personally, I try to spend as much time as I can on the water when in Hawaii, so if I had made this itinerary, I'd have put more boats in it -- but this looks like a good (packed) itinerary. Boating is better from Maui than from Oahu, but both have great options.

From Honolulu, I had a fantastic morning snorkel with the folks from https://www.livingoceanscuba.com/. I did three different snorkels last trip. All three were super fun, but these guys were my favorite. They're a smaller group than some of the others. Their boat is not the most comfortable and they didn't include a meal -- it was take a boat ride out to a good snorkel spot with turtles and get in the water -- but their guides were super fun and energetic. I heartily recommend them despite the fact that I destroyed my camera on their tour (totally not their fault, all the fault of my dive kit failing (or operator error)). But, I have ridden with almost everybody and I usually have fun.

As for cameras, I'm the wrong guy because I do carry around one of the smaller mirrorless cameras (and a bunch of glass to go with it) on vacation. You'd probably be super happy with a Sony a5100 if you could find a used on in good shape (should be $300 or less), but realistically if you never intend to buy a second lens, you're better off with a point-n-shoot. The Sony rx100 is probably the best pocket camera on the market. I think the Mark VII is the current model, but just buy whichever is the most recent model whose price is acceptable to you. Or use your phone. I got a few good shots on my phone last trip, too. If you want to take pictures on your snorkel, a gopro is a good small choice. I had a whole giant dive kit (which I destroyed), but many of my photographer-friends are telling me that I should just buy a gopro next time. I probably won't, I'll probably buy an even better, giant-er dive kit -- but gopros are pretty good, pretty waterproof, and pretty small/cheap. The folks at Secondipity are currently selling refurbished GoPro 6s for $165, or you can get a current model for like $350-400.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Sounds like a great trip.

I would highly recommend doing the night time snorkel/swim with the manta rays when you are in Kona.

We liked the botanical gardens north of Hilo. Also the ziplining near by.

Kaumana Caves (lava tubes) just west of Hilo are amazing. We were the only ones in there. Bring headlamps and/or flashlights and water. You will sweat.

We spent 2 weeks on the Big Island and did not run out of things to do.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
yog

Post by yog »

Diamond Head now requires advance reservations for all out-of-state visitors.
https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/oahu/ ... -monument/
CRC301

Post by CRC301 »

We went to Maui a few years ago.

Not sure what you have planned for the "Road to Hana" but my cousin researched and found a private tour guide that was excellent:
  • https://www.awapuhiadventures.com/
  • Extremely fun; we got to do some short hikes and jump from waterfalls
  • Looks like their prices have gone way up since we went in 2017; not sure how they compare to group tours nowadays
Monkeypod Kitchen in Wailea has good food and they are known for their Mai Tai cocktails.

Tons of good snorkeling on Maui. Google for the good spots.

We went to a first friday festival for an evening while we were there. I think we went to the one in Wailuku. It was enjoyable and had a more "locals" vibe. Not sure if they're still doing that due to pandemic; might be over by the time of your trip?

There's also the Haleakalā national park; it has an observatory and visitor center at the top. It was pretty neat, clouds were beneath us. (edit: I see you have this on your list already; good choice)

(Edit to add): For camera's, I find that modern cell phone camera's are pretty darn good (for my purposes anyways). For the water sports though, a good action camera might be worth it. Something like a GoPro but bring extra batteries. ProTip with GoPro, try not to just turn it on and leave it on for long periods of time; then you have to go back and edit it and find the good spots. If you shoot shortish videos it makes it easier to edit and share later. That's my personal opinion though.

Good luck!
Last edited by CRC301 on Thu May 19, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy »

Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

Regarding cameras: I like them. I have a Nikon DSLR with multiple lenses and well as a nice Sony compact and even a fixed lens Fuji. I love them all. I used to take some or all of them on trips. But then I got an iPhone 13 Pro Max like you have. We just got back from a trip to Europe and all I took was the iPhone. It was liberating. The photos are fine and that's how I will be traveling from now on. Sure, you can get a more interesting photo from time to time on trips with the bulkier equipment, but I've decided the trade off is just not worth it. As you know, the iPhone takes outstanding photos. My guess is that Apple's budget for photo engineering now exceeds Nikon and it shows. I also have a compact Olympus underwater camera which is fun, but it looks like you are set there. Have fun!
hfj

Post by hfj »

For younger kids and snorkeling, a lot depends on how comfortable they are in the water and dealing with waves and the equipment. On Maui the Baby Beach near Lahaina was a good place to teach my youngest, as it is pretty sheltered.

Coming down from Haleakala you might consider some upcountry stops. Komodo Bakery in Makawao has popular donut-on-a-stick things, check when they are open.

Our favorite views were probably from the Waihee Ridge Trail, but if you make it over there, the bamboo forest parts on the Pipiwai Trail / Oheo Gulch are pretty cool. I think the Haleakala entry pass is good for 3 days, which can be used for the Pipiwai Trail (we used a National Parks Pass when we did it).

I'll echo others that I've stopped carrying a large camera/lenses and find phone camera sufficient; the only thing I sometimes wanted was a GoPro for snorkeling. Our last trip in March I saw way more turtles snorkeling than I had ever seen before; nearly got run over by one too.

There's a lot of great hiking on Oahu, but some of it is not really marked that well.
ironman

Post by ironman »

Haleakala is worth it but be sure to dress warm and get there as early as possible. The road to Hana was a great trip. We drove it counter-clockwise to beat much of the traffic. The Shaka guide driving tour available on the app store was worth every penny. I carried a full-frame DSLR everywhere and took some great photos. It was worth the weight to me, YMMV.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/maui-road ... 1070908005
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Re camera for travel.

I've used a Canon PowerShot ELPH for many years. It is about the size of a deck of cards, has a lanyard that you can put around your wrist, and if you get a black color, it fits perfectly in my hand and is very discreet. I find it much better than my iPhone from a functionality standpoint and I'm always afraid I'll lose the phone or run out of memory. With the Canon, it uses SD cards, so just get a few to take along and don't worry about your phone. The only minor convenience is you need to upload the photos. The best travel camera is the one you'll use the most.

Here's a URL: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _hs.html
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

new2bogle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 am but the idea of carrying around that much bulk is not exciting.
Take the iPhone, leave the camera behind. You'll likely be carrying extra water, sunscreen, beach towels, etc. Adding in a bulky camera when you have an iPhone 13 Pro is most def not worth it.
AS7911

Post by AS7911 »

Road to Hana not kid friendly in a back seat... it is very long and windy, and I suspect at least one will get car sick
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I wouldn't miss snorkeling at Two Step, which is adjacent to the Place of Refuge. It may be the best snorkeling location in the entire state. It's called Two Step because of a lava shelf that you step off of into the ocean. The columns of coral extend throughout the bay and the marine life is plentiful.

The spinner dolphins at Kealakekua Bay (Captain Cook) are often visible from a kayak, which can be rented at numerous locations, including right at the shore just south of the bay on the end of Kahauloa Road, where they will rent you a kayak and launch it for you, eliminating the need to place it on top of your rental car.

I second the recommendation to bring a GoPro camera, which can double as an underwater camera with the added waterproof attachment. I would also second the recommendation of snorkeling with the Manta Rays, which takes place near the Sheraton south of Kona.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

shelanman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:23 am Personally, I try to spend as much time as I can on the water when in Hawaii, so if I had made this itinerary, I'd have put more boats in it -- but this looks like a good (packed) itinerary. Boating is better from Maui than from Oahu, but both have great options.
Wife has terrible seasickness so submarine is the only thing we're going to do... mostly for the kids. Thanks.
mhc wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:29 am Kaumana Caves (lava tubes) just west of Hilo are amazing. We were the only ones in there. Bring headlamps and/or flashlights and water. You will sweat.
Thanks for reminding me! I had this on my list a while ago but somehow lost track of this excursion.
yog wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:54 am Diamond Head now requires advance reservations for all out-of-state visitors.
https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/oahu/ ... -monument/
Did not know this! You definitely saved us here...
CRC301 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:59 am We went to Maui a few years ago.

Not sure what you have planned for the "Road to Hana"

We went to a first friday festival for an evening while we were there. I think we went to the one in Wailuku. It was enjoyable and had a more "locals" vibe. Not sure if they're still doing that due to pandemic; might be over by the time of your trip?
For Road to Hana we are just going to drive it - I've marked off several places that we can stop:
- twin falls
- huelo lookout
- Ke'anae Peninsulat (with apparently a very nice Banana Bread stand)
- hanawi Falls
- Hana Lava tube
- Hamoa beach
- Wailua falls

The friday festivals sound fun - unfortunately you are right, seems like they are so far discontinued due to covid, will check again before we get there.
hfj wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:32 am Coming down from Haleakala you might consider some upcountry stops. Komodo Bakery in Makawao has popular donut-on-a-stick things, check when they are open.
You are the second person to recommend this place specifically - will have to check it out! Did you try Maui Cookie Lady?
arf1410 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:20 pm Road to Hana not kid friendly in a back seat... it is very long and windy, and I suspect at least one will get car sick
Dramamine it is! I believe they have non-drowsy kid versions...
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I would just use the iPhones. We just got back there six weeks ago. We lugged our heavy cameras around, took a maybe 10 pictures with the cameras, and haven’t even dumped the pics onto the computer yet. The phone pics, though, we’ve gotten a lot of use out of.

As far as your itinerary, it sounds exhausting. I would get rid of about half the stuff, and make some time to relax. Especially where you have multiple major events happening on the same day. If I were doing the Captain Cook hike for example, I would make some time for snorkeling at the monument, and call that enough for one day.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

#11 Road to Hana - My wife and I drove to the Garden of Eden which is 1/3 of the way to Hana. She did the entire drive to Hana on a previous trip and said the road begins to feel tedious after a while. I understood what she meant and was happy to turn back after visiting the garden. I highly recommend the Garden of Eden. It offers beautiful views and whimsical delights for the kids. Heck, being there made me feel like a kid!
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:53 pm #11 Road to Hana - My wife and I drove to the Garden of Eden which is 1/3 of the way to Hana. She did the entire drive to Hana on a previous trip and said the road begins to feel tedious after a while. I understood what she meant and was happy to turn back after visiting the garden. I highly recommend the Garden of Eden. It offers beautiful views and whimsical delights for the kids. Heck, being there made me feel like a kid!
Last time we went, we probably also did about 1/3 of the way (before kids). Want to be more adventurous this time, but will turn around as needed..
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

I would need a vacation after that itinerary. Maybe your kids can handle it, but mine would be so angry at me for spending 18 days in Hawaii and getting so little time on the beach.
CRC301

Post by CRC301 »

new2bogle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:34 pm
CRC301 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:59 am We went to Maui a few years ago.

Not sure what you have planned for the "Road to Hana"

For Road to Hana we are just going to drive it - I've marked off several places that we can stop:
- twin falls
- huelo lookout
- Ke'anae Peninsulat (with apparently a very nice Banana Bread stand)
- hanawi Falls
- Hana Lava tube
- Hamoa beach
- Wailua falls

The friday festivals sound fun - unfortunately you are right, seems like they are so far discontinued due to covid, will check again before we get there.
If you're trekking Road to Hana on your own, look into these areas: Good luck!
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

Looks like a great trip, I'm jealous! We did a week on Maui at the beginning of the month. I would just caution you that it is PACKED right now. I only mention it so you can manage expectations.

Some examples:
- 90 minutes wait to get a reserved rental car.
- Monkeypod Kitchen had a 2 hour wait both times we tried to go for dinner. (Lunch had almost no wait.)
- The road to Hana was busier than I've ever seen it and the locals' aggressive driving was way worse as a result (I kissed a guardrail with our rental car to avoid hitting one).
- Airport security line took over an hour coming back.

The beaches, forests, and scenery remained beautiful and the food delicious so it was still a great week. But we underestimated the hassle factor since our previous trips were in "the before times."

Lastly, perhaps you already know this but we didn't realize Wai'ānapanapa State Park requires a reservation now. It was on our Hana list but got scratched when we learned this and there weren't any times available on such short notice.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

new2bogle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 am We're doing a family vacation to the Big Island, Maui and Oahu this summer, 6 days in each location, two parents and 3 elementary aged kids. We've got our flights/Airbnbs/Vehicles booked as well as some tours that needed advanced purchase. I am filling in the rest of the days with things to do.

But first: do I need a camera separate from our iphone 13 pro and 13 pro max? I have an older DSLR (nikon D5000, zoom + 35mm lens), but the idea of carrying around that much bulk is not exciting. I am not opposed to spending a few hundred on a new point and shoot if the quality is better than the iphone 13's, but not so much for one of those newer mirrorless cameras.

Day ...... Activity
4) Day trip to Hilo, Akaka falls, Japanese garden, Bioreserve garden Waipio Valley
9) nothing planned
13) *Fly to Honolulu
17) *PCC at noon-dinner

Activities marked with an '*' are pre-reserved/mostly non-refundable tickets. I am pretty open to ideas/suggestions, especially on days that are not already pre-booked and places that are a must visit or any general advice.

Thanks!
We live on the Big Island, so i will limit my comments to that with some random thoughts.

1) Waipio valley is now closed to all but residents that live in the valley. You can still go to the overlook, but you cant go down into the valley. A great alternative is Pololu Valley, which you can still do an easy hike down to the black sand beach, and across to the next ridge if you are up to it.

2) For the limited stay, I am not sure if i would do a trip out to Hilo, especially if you are going to do the waterfall walk on Maui.

3) Stay flexible with the trip up to Mauna Kea (are you going to visitor center or all the way to the summit?). The afternoons often get cloud cover, and visibility can be quite limited, and disappointing on such days.

4) Someone mention the night time snorkeling with Manta Rays. I would strongly second that. It is one the highlights for everyone that visits us here.

5) Perhaps make some time to spend at the beaches along the Kohala Coast (Hapuna Beach or the Beach at Mauna Kea resort, get there early to get into limited space)

Enjoy your trip!
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

new2bogle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:01 pm
FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:53 pm #11 Road to Hana - My wife and I drove to the Garden of Eden which is 1/3 of the way to Hana. She did the entire drive to Hana on a previous trip and said the road begins to feel tedious after a while. I understood what she meant and was happy to turn back after visiting the garden. I highly recommend the Garden of Eden. It offers beautiful views and whimsical delights for the kids. Heck, being there made me feel like a kid!
Last time we went, we probably also did about 1/3 of the way (before kids). Want to be more adventurous this time, but will turn around as needed..
I'd go all the way around. The south side of the road is less lush but the sweeping views as the sun got lower is the sky are spectacular, and the roads were nearly empty (at least they were 7 years ago). I'm sure you've heard about Aunty Sandy's Banana Bread; it's near the start of your trip and a nice snack for a long ride.

Agree with another poster that the itinerary seems quite busy for elementary-age kids, but I assume you know what yours can handle. Have fun!
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:39 pm I would just use the iPhones. We just got back there six weeks ago. We lugged our heavy cameras around, took a maybe 10 pictures with the cameras, and haven’t even dumped the pics onto the computer yet. The phone pics, though, we’ve gotten a lot of use out of.

As far as your itinerary, it sounds exhausting. I would get rid of about half the stuff, and make some time to relax. Especially where you have multiple major events happening on the same day. If I were doing the Captain Cook hike for example, I would make some time for snorkeling at the monument, and call that enough for one day.
If you’re mostly sharing photos on social media/ email, your iPhone will be the most hassle-free option. If you’re trying to take nice family photos that you want on your holiday cards, consider taking the DSLR. I second the user saying the Canon ELPH point and shoots are nice. I have an old refurbished Canon DSLR from 2017 that is not heavy.

You have a ton of activities planned. I agree that you should halve your list and allow more rest time. Put in stops for snacks along the scenic route and bring barf bags. Elementary school-aged kids will probably get tired/ irate after 2 excursions per day. And it’s no fun dealing with the whining.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

Agree on 1st Fridays in Wailukui and Paia . If its windy with trades ck out Kanaha beach park at airport. Kitesurfing ,winging,windsurfing there. Onthe way Hana a stop in Paia is good and ck Hookipaa beach park if its windy world class windsufers /wingers there. Ck out Maui zipline
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

I agree with the posters that say there is a lot planned. It's basically what we would do if the kids are agreeable to it all. I have more things planned and am happy to not do everything rather than have an open day trying to figure out what to do next because the kids are bouncing off the walls. All our condos are close to the beach, so that is the default activity :D

ETA:
really appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:41 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:39 pm I would just use the iPhones. We just got back there six weeks ago. We lugged our heavy cameras around, took a maybe 10 pictures with the cameras, and haven’t even dumped the pics onto the computer yet. The phone pics, though, we’ve gotten a lot of use out of.
If you’re mostly sharing photos on social media/ email, your iPhone will be the most hassle-free option. If you’re trying to take nice family photos that you want on your holiday cards, consider taking the DSLR. I second the user saying the Canon ELPH point and shoots are nice. I have an old refurbished Canon DSLR from 2017 that is not heavy.
We went to Africa in 2019. Took the big cameras, took a million pictures with them. We were very glad to have them, we took plenty of wildlife shots with the telephoto lenses that a phone couldn't have done. But the money shot, that we printed on canvas and have hanging over the couch? iPhone X. We took this year's Christmas card shot with an iPhone X, too. The iPhone 13's that OP has are much better than my aging iPhone X.

An iPhone 13 is absolutely enough camera for greeting cards and pictures hanging on the wall. It's a better camera than the Canon ELPH. The main advantages of the ELPH are that it has a little more zoom, and it is cheap enough that you can hand it to your kids and not worry if they break it.
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

GRINDS

There are a ton of great everyday local options to try throughout your trip, so scout them out ahead of time.

Lean on any local friends or acquaintances for specific tips, or just Google around for local foodie sites or blogs.

To date myself (haven't lived on Oahu for a couple decades now) here were my go-to places around Honolulu that appear to still be open.

Rainbow Drive-in
Grace's Drive-inn
Helena's Hawaiian Food
Da Ono Hawaiian Foods (I might be confusing this with Ono Hawaiian Food, which I think closed)
Big City Diner
Liliha Bakery (it's not just a bakery)
Gulick Delicatessen
Waiola Shave Ice
Leonard's Bakery
Zippy's

TIP: for beach days, find a local bento place or check to see if a well-reviewed food truck is going to be parked nearby.
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

If you or any family members are military / former military, you might want to consider staying a night inside Volcano National Park. The accommodations are pretty basic, but it was pretty cool to stay the night with our kids and explore the park "after hours."

https://www.kilaueamilitarycamp.com/accommodations.
DetroitAvant

Post by DetroitAvant »

We did the Pineapple Tour on Maui and really enjoyed it. They have their own species of pineapple and it's the best I've ever had. There's a neat glass blowing place right next door, we spent two hours watching them make a whale out of glass.

For Haleakalā we actually did the sunset and watched the stars afterwards. Careful on the way down, the cows like to lay on the still warm pavement.

Depends on your kids, but I don't think I'd try to do the Road to Hana with mine. Our plan was to go all the way to the end first and do Pipiwai. Drove back and did the black sand beach, red sand beach and the huli chicken shack.

Another option on Oahu is Waimea Valley, you can swim in a waterfall. The beach nearby was easy to walk to as well.
Watty

Post by Watty »

new2bogle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 am But first: do I need a camera separate from our iphone 13 pro and 13 pro max?
Those should be fine and even if you got a better camera now you would still likely take better photos with your iphones.

The reason is that when you get a new camera there is a learning curve and it takes time to learn it and get comfortable with it. Until you get through that learning curve there is a risk that you will make a mistake and have some setting wrong or by the time you figure out how to change the settings you will have missed the photo opportunity. There is also a non-zero chance that there will be a problem with a new camera that you don't realize until you are over there.

A general rule of photography is to be cautious about taking new equipment on a big trip.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

new2bogle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 am We're doing a family vacation to the Big Island, Maui and Oahu this summer, 6 days in each location, two parents and 3 elementary aged kids. We've got our flights/Airbnbs/Vehicles booked as well as some tours that needed advanced purchase. I am filling in the rest of the days with things to do.

Day ...... Activity
9) nothing planned
13) *Fly to Honolulu
17) *PCC at noon-dinner

Thanks!
Unless you are really into photography, your 13 pro max with (according to what I read) a 3x optical zoom and high quality images should be fine.

There are a lot of cool things to see on Maui and the big island. The 3 young kids will of course slow you down ....

For snorkeling I have one of the olympus TG series of cameras -- waterproof, reasonable quality, very rugged. I wouldn't buy one unless you thought you'd be using it on snorkeling or kayaking type things after this trip. It's not going to take better pictures than the iphone. But it is more rugged.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

The best snorkeling spot near Kona is Kahalu’u Beach. It is a couple miles south of town and has a reef that makes the sea a bit of a small bay. The fish are right off the beach. There are all kinds of pretty fish and coral.

Don’t underestimate the mileage on the big island. It is easy to think of distances in mainland terms and times. But, the roads there are curvy 2-laners where speed is often limited.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

Check out the food truck scene .big one on the way out of the airport at Costco
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

new2bogle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 am 2) *Submarine adventure first half of day, visit Mauna Kea second half
I'm not the first one to say it, but let me emphasize dressing warm for the mountains. I don't mean a wind breaker over the t-shirt and shorts that were more than warm enough at sea level with 2-1/2 miles of additional air insulating the world from space. I mean long pants, closed shoes, multiple layers under your jacket, and a stocking cap.

The average mid-summer high for Mauna Kea Observatory is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. You could be lucky and get a 60 degree day. You could also be unlucky and get a 40 degree day.

More importantly, at that altitude, it will probably be windy. When I did a May visit to Haleakala, I'd say the wind was 25-30 mph and very steady. I was expecting cold (it was probably in the 50's back home when we left), but it startled even me. I hadn't put my coat on before getting out of the car, and the wind was piercing and bitter. My wife wowed at the view briefly, then huddled behind the glass of the observation deck the rest of the time except to come out and beg me to leave.
new2bogle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 am9) nothing planned
If it were me, I'd plan one of these days for each island - no planned activity or only a short, simple planned activity. This looks like a long and busy trip, and I'd worry about it all blending together without a little bit of time to relax, recharge, and recollect. Besides, it really is one of the basic pleasures of Hawaii to just have time to hang out on a beach, swim, have an unrushed lunch or dinner out, stroll the town, etc. and not be spending a bunch of time in the car.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Day ...... Activity
9) nothing planned
13) *Fly to Honolulu
17) *PCC at noon-dinner

Thanks!
Aloha
What a great trip you have planned!

This camera will do it all, while it can be and is constantly argued that a cell phone is fine, yes it is, but . ., .if you want a do all family camera that you can put in your pocket and is just plain fun to buy and have and use. . . this might be it. It is the best in its class:
Sony RX100 VII
https://smile.amazon.com/Sony-Premium-C ... c9d1e&th=1

Now, back to your trip:
Eat:
The L & L drive in in the small town of Kamuela on the Big Island is unlike all the other L & L franchises in Hawaii. Try their, mixed plate, chicken katsu, BBQ chicken, etc, etc.

On Oahu,
eat at Zippy's.
Chicken Katsu Japanese Curry Saimin Bowl, (it is huge).

If you are on the windward side, Oahu, down the road from your Kuoloa 2 hour ranch tour, go to "Koa House" on Kahuhipa Street in Kaneohe, for breadfast or lunch only, eat Korean BBQ ribs, or anything else there. It is family owned and terrific.

On Oahu, Chinatown, go to a good restaurant and eat real Chinese "Dim Sum". . . . Very hard to find real dim sum on the mainland except in some places.

On Oahu, or any island, eat: Malasadas (Portuguese pastry), go to a bakery and eat "um pung", a local pastry with sweet red beans inside, etc.

On any Island:

Hawaiian Food (real LauLau, real Poi, etc), poke, etc.
Shave Ice with ice cream and "azuki beans" inside
Hawaiian Host Chocolate Covered Macadamian Nuts: (whole ones not chopped or caramel or bits).
Haupia Cake
Haupia anything
Spam Musubi (even some McDonalds sell this).

Additional bonus, buy slippers from "Longs drug store, etc", where them all the time you are in Hawaii.

TABU
** Always, always, always, remove shoes and slippers when entering someone's home, anyone's home, with zero exceptions, no matter what they say.

Have fun.
Me Ke Aloha

mango jimmy

For fun,
this is a Iphone 7+
taking a picture of a Sony RX100V (with a custom filter setup) and a full frame Canon 5d setup.
Cell phones have come a long long way.

Interesting size and weight comparison.

About a mile from our old home in Hawaii.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Curious as to why you moved away from Hawaii.
The most common reasons seem to be either missing family on mainland, or not having the financial resources to enjoy living here. You don't seem to have either of those concerns.

Sandtrap wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:09 pm

Day ...... Activity
9) nothing planned
13) *Fly to Honolulu
17) *PCC at noon-dinner

Thanks!
Aloha

This camera will do it all, while it can be and is constantly argued that a cell phone is fine, yes it is, but . ., .if you want a do all family camera that you can put in your pocket and is just plain fun to buy and have and use. . . this might be it. It is the best in its class:
Sony RX100 VII

Now, back to your trip:
Eat:
The L & L drive in in the small town of Kamuela on the Big Island is unlike all the other L & L franchises in Hawaii. Try their, mixed plate, chicken katsu, BBQ chicken, etc, etc.

On Oahu,
eat at Zippy's.

If you are on the windward side, Oahu, down the road from your Kuoloa 2 hour ranch tour, go to "Koa House" on Kahuhipa Street in Kaneohe, for breadfast or lunch only, eat Korean BBQ ribs, or anything else there. It is family owned and terrific.

On Oahu, Chinatown, go to a good restaurant and eat real Chinese "Dim Sum". . . . Very hard to find real dim sum on the mainland except in some places.

On Oahu, or any island, eat: Malasadas (Portuguese pastry), go to a bakery and eat "um pung", a local pastry with sweet red beans inside, etc.

On any Island:

Hawaiian Host Chocolate Covered Macadamian Nuts: (whole ones not chopped or caramel or bits).
Haupia Cake
Haupia anything

Additional bonus, buy slippers from "Longs drug store, etc", where them all the time you are in Hawaii.

TABU
** Always, always, always, remove shoes and slippers when entering someone's home, anyone's home, with zero exceptions, no matter what they say.

Have fun.
Me Ke Aloha

mango jimmy

For fun,
this is a Iphone 7+
taking a picture of a Sony RX100V (with a custom filter setup) and a full frame Canon 5d setup.

About a mile from our old home in Hawaii.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

shelanman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:23 am While in Maui, I recommend doing an early-morning Kayak/Snorkel trip with Maui Kayak Adventures (https://mauikayakadventures.com/). They have excellent early morning trips from either Makena Bay or Olowalu. I've done both and had a blast. You'll have one guide per 6-8 participants. You'll start at the beach, head out into the water, kayak around and then hop into the water. Difficulty level is pretty low, over the course of two hours you'll kayak a total of about a mile. Their guides are excellent, and the price includes the photos they'll take with their gopro.

They operate early morning only, departing at 7AM (you'll be ashore and done by 10:30-11:00) and are super fun. Definitely one of my favorite things I did on Maui. If you do the one in Makena Bay, there are a number of good breakfast stops in Kihei about a mile down the road for after. I was pretty hungry after, which made the loco moco very tasty indeed. Tell them whether you want one- or two-person boats when you reserve. Personally, I like doing the two-person boats (so long as you have the right number of people for that)

Personally, I try to spend as much time as I can on the water when in Hawaii, so if I had made this itinerary, I'd have put more boats in it -- but this looks like a good (packed) itinerary. Boating is better from Maui than from Oahu, but both have great options.

From Honolulu, I had a fantastic morning snorkel with the folks from https://www.livingoceanscuba.com/. I did three different snorkels last trip. All three were super fun, but these guys were my favorite. They're a smaller group than some of the others. Their boat is not the most comfortable and they didn't include a meal -- it was take a boat ride out to a good snorkel spot with turtles and get in the water -- but their guides were super fun and energetic. I heartily recommend them despite the fact that I destroyed my camera on their tour (totally not their fault, all the fault of my dive kit failing (or operator error)). But, I have ridden with almost everybody and I usually have fun.

As for cameras, I'm the wrong guy because I do carry around one of the smaller mirrorless cameras (and a bunch of glass to go with it) on vacation. You'd probably be super happy with a Sony a5100 if you could find a used on in good shape (should be $300 or less), but realistically if you never intend to buy a second lens, you're better off with a point-n-shoot. The Sony rx100 is probably the best pocket camera on the market. I think the Mark VII is the current model, but just buy whichever is the most recent model whose price is acceptable to you. Or use your phone. I got a few good shots on my phone last trip, too. If you want to take pictures on your snorkel, a gopro is a good small choice. I had a whole giant dive kit (which I destroyed), but many of my photographer-friends are telling me that I should just buy a gopro next time. I probably won't, I'll probably buy an even better, giant-er dive kit -- but gopros are pretty good, pretty waterproof, and pretty small/cheap. The folks at Secondipity are currently selling refurbished GoPro 6s for $165, or you can get a current model for like $350-400.
I'd add a snorkeling trip to Molokini with Trilogy also: https://sailtrilogy.com/ I love their trips - great food, great boat, great snorkeling, and on the Molokini trip you get to snorkel at Molokini and also at Turtle Town (near Wailea).
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:09 pm
Aloha

Sony RX100 VII

Now, back to your trip:
Eat:

On Oahu,
eat at Zippy's.

On any Island:

Haupia Cake
Haupia anything

TABU

Have fun.
Me Ke Aloha

mango jimmy
Food suggestions are always welcomed! I hope the hype of the Old Lahaina Luau is true.

We did miss booking early enough for Mama's Fish House - 3 months was not early enough! Any insider tips on getting in?
For fun,
this is a Iphone 7+

Yes! The pictures out of the iphone 13 pro/max are so good and convenient... I think I'll leave the dslr home.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

I like the schedule departing from Honolulu. Nothing beats carrying-on and bringing home a couple boxes of LiLiha Bakery frozen cocoa puffs.
"Better is the enemy of good." Good is good.
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

new2bogle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 am
13) *Fly to Honolulu
17) *PCC at noon-dinner

Thanks!
While in Oahu (Honolulu), I would recommend a quick trip to the "Pali Lookout", it's a beautiful view of the north part of the island. All you do is drive up and park, pay the $7 (?) parking fee and walk a short while to a great view. No reservations needed. We make a stop there every time we go. Also if you want to try local joints:
- Leanard's on Kapahulu Ave (for their malasadas, which is basically a donut but different)
- Waiola Shaved Ice on Kapahulu Ave.
- Rainbow Drive-In on Kapahulu Ave. (local food, lunch plates)
- Any Zippy's, also one on kapahulu. (local fast food)
They are all about 1/2 mile apart on the same Ave. Leanards's probably the most popular with tourists also. You will definitely be a "local" after that.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

While the summer is still a month off, you might want to keep up with Hawaii's continuing COVID problems to see if it may alter your plans.

Within the last week, the CDC has bumped Honolulu and Maui and Kauai counties from medium-risk community level to high-risk community level for COVID-19.

The Big Island is still okay.

As of now, I would still be much more worried about becoming a crime victim rather than a COVID victim in the state of Hawaii.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Pacific wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:24 pm While the summer is still a month off, you might want to keep up with Hawaii's continuing COVID problems to see if it may alter your plans.

Within the last week, the CDC has bumped Honolulu and Maui and Kauai counties from medium-risk community level to high-risk community level for COVID-19.

The Big Island is still okay.

As of now, I would still be much more worried about becoming a crime victim rather than a COVID victim in the state of Hawaii.
Good points.
Well said.

"Talking story" with visiting family yesterday. . . compared to how heavy restrictions where at the peak of the Cofid chaos, now, it's fairly non restrictive and non intrusive. In local language. . . "no worries, brah" level.

OP: good to check locally where you go on how this Cofid things is effecting daily life. When you get there, notice how others are "masking up", "shields up", or not, and so forth.
"No worries. . . be aware. . as anywhere you might go. . .have fun. . . life is fun. . . "

Me Ke Aloha
Hawaii No Ka Oi

j mango :D :D

dis laimer: zillions of experiences and opinionizations and so forth by zillions of folks, this is only one.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

sixty40 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:12 pm
new2bogle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 am
13) *Fly to Honolulu
17) *PCC at noon-dinner

Thanks!
While in Oahu (Honolulu), I would recommend a quick trip to the "Pali Lookout", it's a beautiful view of the north part of the island. All you do is drive up and park, pay the $7 (?) parking fee and walk a short while to a great view. No reservations needed. We make a stop there every time we go. Also if you want to try local joints:
- Leanard's on Kapahulu Ave (for their malasadas, which is basically a donut but different)
- Waiola Shaved Ice on Kapahulu Ave.
- Rainbow Drive-In on Kapahulu Ave. (local food, lunch plates)
- Any Zippy's, also one on kapahulu. (local fast food)
They are all about 1/2 mile apart on the same Ave. Leanards's probably the most popular with tourists also. You will definitely be a "local" after that.
Terrific list!
Thanks for sharing that.

Tips:
Hot Malasadas is way way betta' than cold malasadas. . .
Rainbow Drive Inn: Chicken Katsu plate or Mix Plate. . . mac salad. . or potato salad. . rice. . . ask for gravy on the rice. . .
Any Zippy's; chili, oxtail soup with extra grated ginger and chinese parsley, chicken katsu japanese curry saimin bowl, apple or coconut turnovers from da' bakery.

j mango :D
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

On Maui, the road to Hana was stop and go for an hour before we turned around and left.

Big Island info:
by fireman » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:20 am
Hapuna Beach - by far, the best beach we found on the island. We stayed there 3 nights at the front end of a 2 week trip. Visited many other beaches, both easy to get to and remote, but did not find anything nearly as good as Hapuna Beach. Returned there toward the end of our trip and wondered why we spent so much time visiting other beaches. Absolutely beautiful! And good snorkeling opportunities right from the beach.
A previous request here for Big Island travel info:
viewtopic.php?t=359445

A search for "Hapuna beach" here at Bogleheads https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... puna+beach

I no longer recommend this steep, rough hike to a risky beach, due to the small sizes/ages of the children.
Pololu Beach is a tiny version of Waipio beach. Pololu is seen from the end-of-road lookout, and the swimming there is forbidden due to the away from shore current, but the steep hike down to the beach lessens the amount of visitors. We liked the hike on the rough trail after sitting in the car. Put on your insect repellent before starting the hike, but you won't need it when you are at the beach. Look for small quantities of insect repellent in containers that you can take on an airplane, or buy some on each island at WalMart stores in the cities.

As mentioned in other threads, look for the "(island name) Revealed" book/website for each island before your trip for home study, or to read on the long flight.
Last edited by heyyou on Sat May 28, 2022 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:30 pm
BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:41 pm
We went to Africa in 2019. Took the big cameras, took a million pictures with them. We were very glad to have them, we took plenty of wildlife shots with the telephoto lenses that a phone couldn't have done. But the money shot, that we printed on canvas and have hanging over the couch? iPhone X. We took this year's Christmas card shot with an iPhone X, too. The iPhone 13's that OP has are much better than my aging iPhone X.

An iPhone 13 is absolutely enough camera for greeting cards and pictures hanging on the wall. It's a better camera than the Canon ELPH. The main advantages of the ELPH are that it has a little more zoom, and it is cheap enough that you can hand it to your kids and not worry if they break it.
I haven’t used an ELPH in forever (2014?) so good point there. We have taken canvas pictures using a 12 I think (someone else’s phone). We only have iPhone 8s (poor quality photos for canvas). iPhone 12 or 13 is going to be better!
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
Material Guy

Post by Material Guy »

Just returned from a 10 day trip to Honolulu (conference + vacation) last week. Decided to ditch the DSLR and just use my 13 Max Pro, which worked really well. I did not miss the DSLR at all and got some amazing pictures. I recommend you do the same.

COVID cases were on the rise in Honolulu last week so keep an eye on the situation--different on different islands.

First trip to Hawai'i and I'm ready for the next one.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Agree this sounds like a LOT, but at least the Maui portion that I'm familiar with isn't bad. The banyan tree is right by the luau you can just move that to day 12. Then you have beach time 7, 9, half of 10, maybe middle of 12. Where are you staying on maui?
dreamingbutterfly

Post by dreamingbutterfly »

One Aloha Shave Ice while in Kona. Some of the best I've ever had! They use fresh fruit, not that syrup junk.

Swimming with the manta rays was an unforgettable experience, highly recommend.
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

You may want to take afternoon trade winds into account when planning your days. When we took the kids to Kihei in Maui, mornings were spent on the beach, snorkeling, or at the pool. Winds came up in the afternoon, which is when we went sightseeing or did other activities.