Easiest/cheapest online degree

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
trooma7

Easiest/cheapest online degree

Post by trooma7 »

TL:DR, looking for cheapest/easiest/fastest route to online bachelors degree of any kind.

The full story: DW made it through about 3 years of an undergrad degree in bio before dropping out of college almost a decade ago. She has since become a Project Manager and earned a senior title at her current employer 2 years ago. She is paid very well all things considered, but really dislikes her current role, and has been exploring other options with a better work/life balance. She has found the lack of that magical piece of paper has been holding her back in the job search. Does anybody have any advice on the easiest, fastest, cheapest (obviously ideally a combo of all 3) way to finish and obtain a bachelors online. Going to a classroom, even a local CC is unlikely given her schedule. The actual degree does not matter, a Gen-Ed bachelors with her work experience would open up numerous more doors.

Her stem classes are likely expired so probably really only have a year or two worth of credit. Unsure if they would even transfer, they're from a large state school. Just looking for any first hand info.

Thanks for the advice.
trevorshhh

Re: Easiest/cheapest online degree

Post by trevorshhh »

Take a look at Western Governor's University. They allow self paced on-line classes and will even give credit for work experience. It's also fully accredited (regional accreditation).
All in VTI, VXUS, BND and equivalents.
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

The words easy, cheap, and college degree don't seem to go together? I'm sure it's out there somewhere?
hidradenitis

Post by hidradenitis »

I second Western Governors. A family member attended and I was impressed with the quality of education, something that is often lacking in this space.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

Get ready for a pile on of posts about looking for an easy degree and how it is a bad idea. I am weighing in for moral support. This is an employer shortcoming. They believe a degree is needed for every role or every management role when it isn’t and while it can sort some bad candidates out, it also sorts some good ones out. Check their box and ignore the comments. Be aware that some hiring managers will turn their noses up at certain degree programs, but in this labor market, they are less picky.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

trooma7 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:56 am TL:DR, looking for cheapest/easiest/fastest route to online bachelors degree of any kind.

The full story: DW made it through about 3 years of an undergrad degree in bio before dropping out of college almost a decade ago. She has since become a Project Manager and earned a senior title at her current employer 2 years ago. She is paid very well all things considered, but really dislikes her current role, and has been exploring other options with a better work/life balance. She has found the lack of that magical piece of paper has been holding her back in the job search. Does anybody have any advice on the easiest, fastest, cheapest (obviously ideally a combo of all 3) way to finish and obtain a bachelors online. Going to a classroom, even a local CC is unlikely given her schedule. The actual degree does not matter, a Gen-Ed bachelors with her work experience would open up numerous more doors.

Her stem classes are likely expired so probably really only have a year or two worth of credit. Unsure if they would even transfer, they're from a large state school. Just looking for any first hand info.

Thanks for the advice.
Is there any chance that her current/(former) college/university has some sort of program such that she can complete those final courses/credits? Then she'd have the degree from a school she'd probably prefer to have it from. Or allow her to get a few final courses/credits to complete their degree requirements?
There are probably a lot more courses available online these days, due to Covid, plus before that just more outreach in general to non-residential students, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Is accreditation important?
In most situations that require a degree, the issuing college needs to be "regionally accredited" by one of the major regional accrediting bodies recognized by the government.
If you don't care about accreditation, you could get a "Doctor of Divinity" from the "Universal Life Church" (... know that many know the ULC as being practically a joke, ordaining people as ministers online...) There are other such online degree mills, mostly with dubious recognition, at varying price levels, that most would consider "a scam".
If you already have a lot of credits/units and can get the transcripts (from a regionally accredited university), look into Excelsior College, which is a regionally accredited college that is very open at accepting most any credits in transfer from other accredited universities, as well as issuing credit for various tests and certification programs that have been evaluated by the recognized educational bodies, and has lots of different options for fitting those credits into one of their degree programs.
https://www.excelsior.edu/start-with-more-credit/
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
cabfranc

Post by cabfranc »

I know cheap and quick is preferred, but I would think carefully about what will serve her best in her industry/career in the long term. Stay away from for-profit universities and consider the ROI of the program/'degree. Spending any money on a degree that can't help her get a job is not a good investment. Many well-known universities now offer some degrees online. Someone who works for me earned a master's degree from our flagship state university mostly online while working full time.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

1) Which state are you located?

2) Where DW was studying? Please note that in some degree plan, you have 10 years to complete it. And, now, due to Covid, some courses might be remote-only. So, DW may still have time to complete her degree. She should always call her college and see whether she can work out a deal.

3) She can earn credit by taking the CLEP exam. It is $89 each.

https://clep.collegeboard.org/

KlangFool
Last edited by KlangFool on Tue May 10, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Yet another vote for WGU, coming from someone who is an alum (Master's).

It's regionally-accredited (which is a must-have), not-for-profit (also a must-have), and evaluates based solely on competency rather than requiring specific amounts of "seat time" (so your costs and time are entirely up to how much you already know and how quickly you can learn what you don't).

A distant second choice would be an inexpensive bricks-and-mortar state school that offers online degrees and maybe lets you test out of courses to speed things along.

Also, your friend's previous credits are likely NOT "expired" and will really help speed things along if they transfer. The choice of major can help that to some extent, I'd image. Totally worth jumping through whatever hoops are needed to get transcripts sent over.

Not to age myself or get into my very long educational journey, but I've had schools accept credits that I earned a lot longer ago than your friend's. :D
Last edited by JupiterJones on Tue May 10, 2022 8:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Are you sure her three years of classes at the other institution are "expired"? The cheapest may be finishing there, no? Perhaps more cost per credit, but fewer credits? These days almost every institution has some form of distance learning option.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

I know someone who did a Bachelors of General Studies thru Southern Utah University. Not sure this was the exact method she used, but this is a program that they offer now

https://www.suu.edu/bgs/
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I fourth Western Governors University. I looked into it for my son. I was concerned, since he struggled with motivation in high school, how he would get through a four-year program.

In reviewing Western Governo's University, all the degrees are online and can be done at your own pace. In addition, you have a counselor that works with you to help you get through the program. I was impressed with the fact that they required you to get certifications along with your degree. For example, if you were getting a degree in project management, you had to get a project management professional PMP certification through the Project Management Institute. The cost also seemed like it was much less than either a state school or university in my area. The only disadvantage I could see is that you don't get to interact with other students the same way you would if you were attending in person, however, you also don't need to deal with a commute.

Regarding the stigma associated with attending an online university, I think in the last couple of years, that's pretty much dissipated with Covid. So, I wouldn't have the same concern that I had prior to Covid.

P.S. My son turned out fine. He went to a state school and graduated.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

lazynovice wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:14 am Get ready for a pile on of posts about looking for an easy degree and how it is a bad idea. I am weighing in for moral support. This is an employer shortcoming. They believe a degree is needed for every role or every management role when it isn’t and while it can sort some bad candidates out, it also sorts some good ones out. Check their box and ignore the comments. Be aware that some hiring managers will turn their noses up at certain degree programs, but in this labor market, they are less picky.
I have several degrees, and I entirely endorse what you say. Certainly when I got to the UK (80s), degrees were far less common - you often worked with people who had started straight out of high school and progressed professionally to senior roles.

My main concern would be that, as I understand it, a lot of screening of CVs now is done by computer ("artificial intelligence"). Screens on qualifications & key words? So that OP's spouse would be "screened out" before a hiring manager ever saw the CV?
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

cabfranc wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:32 am I know cheap and quick is preferred, but I would think carefully about what will serve her best in her industry/career in the long term. Stay away from for-profit universities and consider the ROI of the program/'degree. Spending any money on a degree that can't help her get a job is not a good investment. Many well-known universities now offer some degrees online. Someone who works for me earned a master's degree from our flagship state university mostly online while working full time.
I once had an association with a for-profit educator (in the US).

I would agree with the sentiment here that they should be avoided. Even if one does get a reputable degree from same, the stigma associated with them is so bad that it could actually be a negative vs having no degree.
sunshine631

Post by sunshine631 »

University of North Texas (UNT) offers a bachelor's degree completion program through Coursera. UNT will accept transfer credit, potentially including CLEP exam credit. The cost is $330 per credit hour. 120 credit hours are required for the bachelor's degree, including any transfer or other credit.

https://www.coursera.org/degrees/unt-on ... completion

University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is another great option. They offer a very generous and flexible transfer credit policy. Up to 90 credits can be applied toward a bachelor's degree. UMGC is not University of Maryland College Park. However, UMGC has a generally good reputation, is accredited, and not a for-profit institution, which is important (to many).

https://www.umgc.edu/transfers-and-credits
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:29 pm
lazynovice wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:14 am Get ready for a pile on of posts about looking for an easy degree and how it is a bad idea. I am weighing in for moral support. This is an employer shortcoming. They believe a degree is needed for every role or every management role when it isn’t and while it can sort some bad candidates out, it also sorts some good ones out. Check their box and ignore the comments. Be aware that some hiring managers will turn their noses up at certain degree programs, but in this labor market, they are less picky.
I have several degrees, and I entirely endorse what you say. Certainly when I got to the UK (80s), degrees were far less common - you often worked with people who had started straight out of high school and progressed professionally to senior roles.

My main concern would be that, as I understand it, a lot of screening of CVs now is done by computer ("artificial intelligence"). Screens on qualifications & key words? So that OP's spouse would be "screened out" before a hiring manager ever saw the CV?
I have 4 degrees (2 BS', MS, and PhD - 3 of those degrees from "elite" schools) and I absolutely agree.

My wife was in a similar position about 5yrs years ago; already quite successful in tech, but found that she was kind of stuck without a degree. The turning point was being recruited for and offered a job, but the director telling her he could only offer so much because of her lack of a degree (she turned down the job). Everybody around her told her to go to Western Governors, but she ultimately decided to go to local public U (which nobody outside of Utah has likely heard of - cost us ~$26k total for 4yrs). She started seriously job hunting a few months after graduation and ultimately landed exactly the job she wanted (turning down a FAANG offer in the process). Certainly depends on the industry and specific company, but seen absolutely zero evidence in wife's case (and that of my mom, FIL, and countless friends) that most companies in the tech industry care at all about where you got your degree from if you have skills and/or relevant experience.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Ependytis wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:56 am Regarding the stigma associated with attending an online university, I think in the last couple of years, that's pretty much dissipated with Covid. So, I wouldn't have the same concern that I had prior to Covid.
Yup. It's hard to argue that online education is worthless or shady when even Ivy League schools have been teaching online now. I doubt anyone will be able to get through college from here on out, even post-COVID, without taking at least some portion of their courses entirely online. It's pretty much normalized.

So I've added online degrees to the list of "things that used to carry a stigma but now just make you look uninformed if you think they still do", along with online dating, screwcap wines, and seeing a therapist. :D
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

JupiterJones wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:15 pm
Ependytis wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:56 am Regarding the stigma associated with attending an online university, I think in the last couple of years, that's pretty much dissipated with Covid. So, I wouldn't have the same concern that I had prior to Covid.
Yup. It's hard to argue that online education is worthless or shady when even Ivy League schools have been teaching online now. I doubt anyone will be able to get through college from here on out, even post-COVID, without taking at least some portion of their courses entirely online. It's pretty much normalized.

So I've added online degrees to the list of "things that used to carry a stigma but now just make you look uninformed if you think they still do", along with online dating, screwcap wines, and seeing a therapist. :D
I think there's a caveat, which is that a degree that is easy to obtain is never going to be viewed the same as one that is difficult to obtain. Of course there are lazy worthless in-person degrees that require minimal effort and I'm sure there are very challenging online degrees. It's not the manner of delivery so much as the education once you are there. Then there is also the gatekeeping function of the admissions office, and the networking aspects of the degree program.

If the OP's spouse is just looking to check an HR box, then maybe an easy degree is worthwhile. But it would be ideal if it can actually be a useful learning exercise rather than just box checking.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

I'm sure lazy novice didn't mean that sentence the way I initially read it. (Underlining mine.) Academic achievements are too easy to verify to fib about. Do the work and get the degree.

Some fifty years ago, a former student at one of my alma maters and an executive at a then high flying national company claimed he was a graduate of the school in a number of puff pieces mentioning his academic accomplishments. The school's administration spent some large amount of time sending out corrections to the publishers of such articles claiming that they had no record of him having graduated from the school.

Verifying stuff like that is easier now and tends to show up at inconvenient times. Best wishes for the rest of your academic career.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

WGU is an option, and it's designed more or less for situations similar to your wife's. But I'd strongly, strongly encourage her to see what from her old transcript will count - and where. Lots of universities now have online and flexible programs, and if she's only a few courses away from graduating that might be the best option. I see transcripts with big gaps all the time.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

There is the BA in 4 weeks option, where the four weeks essentially consist of doing one year's of finals (through CLEP, DSST, or UExcel tests) every week. You can go to the Degree Discussion and Degree Info forums for details about this option.

Even if you don't go through this method, you could go through the three learning by credit institutions, which are state supported regionally accredited universities. In addition to the previously mentioned Excelsior College, the other two are Charter Oak State College (of Connecticut) and Thomas Edison State University (of New Jersey). They have minimal residency requirements and allow one to cobble together past college credits, portfolios equivalent to college classes, and credit by examination to get a degree which is accepted as a regionally accredited one. I would go to the above forums to learn more.
windaar

Post by windaar »

alfaspider wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:18 pma degree that is easy to obtain is never going to be viewed the same as one that is difficult to obtain.
An "easy" online degree is going to be seen as worthless. I don't hire for a living but have been on hiring committees many times and I can tell you that an applicant with an online degree from an unknown school will not get an interview.
Nobody knows nothing.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

You are Phoenix!

Sometimes, a cheap worthless paper mill degree is all you need. School systems, for example, often pay more for just having a masters. So lots of teachers do this same exact thing.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

RadAudit wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:23 pm
I'm sure lazy novice didn't mean that sentence the way I initially read it. (Underlining mine.) Academic achievements are too easy to verify to fib about. Do the work and get the degree.

Some fifty years ago, a former student at one of my alma maters and an executive at a then high flying national company claimed he was a graduate of the school in a number of puff pieces mentioning his academic accomplishments. The school's administration spent some large amount of time sending out corrections to the publishers of such articles claiming that they had no record of him having graduated from the school.

Verifying stuff like that is easier now and tends to show up at inconvenient times. Best wishes for the rest of your academic career.
Maybe you didn’t read the next sentence after the one you underlined. I’ll let you decide. Thanks.
cashmoney

Post by cashmoney »

Normchad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:36 pm You are Phoenix!

Sometimes, a cheap worthless paper mill degree is all you need. School systems, for example, often pay more for just having a masters. So lots of teachers do this same exact thing.

Many people refer to the University of Phoenix as the Harvard of Internet colleges...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvipyg7pOcM
S4C5

Post by S4C5 »

My ex gf got multiple degrees from Grand Canyon university. She was a very lazy and not smart person who cheated constantly. If she was able to obtain degrees through this “university” I suspect literally anybody could.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Mon May 23, 2022 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
wmackey

Post by wmackey »

Didn't see this referenced yet, so I thought I'd drop this link in.

https://miguelrochefort.com/blog/cs-degree/

Short version is the individual earned a legitime Bachelors' in three months and $5,000. Now, he did have industry experience, but shows what can be down.
petscii

Post by petscii »

modernstates.org will pay for your vouchers to take the CLEP exams after you watch their videos. So that can reduce your costs somewhat...
shess

Post by shess »

stoptothink wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:44 pm My wife was in a similar position about 5yrs years ago; already quite successful in tech, but found that she was kind of stuck without a degree. The turning point was being recruited for and offered a job, but the director telling her he could only offer so much because of her lack of a degree (she turned down the job). Everybody around her told her to go to Western Governors, but she ultimately decided to go to local public U (which nobody outside of Utah has likely heard of - cost us ~$26k total for 4yrs). She started seriously job hunting a few months after graduation and ultimately landed exactly the job she wanted (turning down a FAANG offer in the process). Certainly depends on the industry and specific company, but seen absolutely zero evidence in wife's case (and that of my mom, FIL, and countless friends) that most companies in the tech industry care at all about where you got your degree from if you have skills and/or relevant experience.
The problem in tech companies is all the layers. If you got to me in a phone screen or an interview, the only reason I read your schooling info was to see if there were any projects I could ask about to draw you out. There was little point to looking up your school to see if they were a "real" school or whatever, I literally didn't care, you needed to sink or swim on your own. Likewise for past experience, I was only looking at it for icebreakers. Same basic approach for an onsite interview. Hiring committees might consider your school as a tiebreaker, if you have a unanimously-positive packet, they aren't going to sink you based on where your degree was from.

But a recruiter with 1,000 resumes to get through and limited interviewers to utilize is going to 100% sort those resumes by school. In fact, things like your school's name will be one of the few signals they actually can recognize and act on.

It basically ends up at a similar level to having keywords on your resume, they're mostly there to get you through the gatekeepers, but are nearly irrelevant once you're through to the interviewers.

Of course, it is still a good idea to get a strong education. Some of these places can both teach you AND give you a name-brand degree :-).
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

S4C5 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:31 pm My ex gf got multiple degrees from Grand Canyon university. She was a very lazy and not smart person who cheated constantly. If she was able to obtain degrees through this “university” I suspect literally anybody could.
One of my friends is a developer for Google (she previously was at Amazon), her degree is from Grand Canyon. She's very intelligent, but started life (had 2 kids) before she decided she needed a degree.
Beachey

Post by Beachey »

I got a second Master's from Penn State World Campus.

https://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/?cid=CP ... d%20Campus

It is a Penn State Degree so it has some brand value.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

cashmoney wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:58 pm

Many people refer to the University of Phoenix as the Harvard of Internet colleges...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvipyg7pOcM
That is fantastic! In the future, I will refer to them as such.
jandres12

Post by jandres12 »

The most valuable online degrees are the ones from traditional universities that do not distinguish them as online. That is generally not the easiest route, as the course work is the same as a traditional student, but it may be the cheapest and most useful if done at a local state school.
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave »

To add another perspective:

The degree matters a lot less than the person who earns it. As a tenured university professor, I've hired lots of people; I don't usually look at the school until after I actually talk to the person. I read cover letters before resumes or vitaes.

That said, I'd avoid any for profit school (Walden, Phoenix, etc etc). The requirements are so lax that it's unlikely any of the student's work is read at all by the professors. The student is entirely responsible for whether or not any for profit experience is worth it for them.

Good programs do exist online, but they're almost always closely affiliated with their brick and mortar counterparts. Full disclosure: My degrees are from a private liberal arts college (undergrad), a top 100 public land-grant research university (masters and doctorate) and I am now getting another master's entirely online (from an Ivy League school). Glad to share the names with anyone who asks, but I don't think they are actually that important (to me).

The goal of being in school should be to learn something and to finish swiftly, I would say in that order.

Hope this helps, Peter

edit to add: how a person interviews, how a person contributes to a team, whether or not an individual completes tasks effectively, are all more important than where they went to school.
student

Post by student »

peterwantstosave wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:48 am The degree matters a lot less than the person who earns it. As a tenured university professor, I've hired lots of people; I don't usually look at the school until after I actually talk to the person. I read cover letters before resumes or vitaes.
I am also at a university (R2), my order is publication list and teaching experience on vitaes, then cover letters, then recommendation letters. I don't pay too much attention to the places where someone earns his/her degrees. In my view, the school is only good as some sort of predictor if the person is new with only 1 or 2 publications. However, usually people from top schools do end up at the top of our list and we mostly end up hiring people from top 50 schools.
daleddm

Post by daleddm »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:23 am
trooma7 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:56 am TL:DR, looking for cheapest/easiest/fastest route to online bachelors degree of any kind.

Thanks for the advice.
Is there any chance that her current/(former) college/university has some sort of program such that she can complete those final courses/credits? Then she'd have the degree from a school she'd probably prefer to have it from. Or allow her to get a few final courses/credits to complete their degree requirements?
There are probably a lot more courses available online these days, due to Covid, plus before that just more outreach in general to non-residential students, etc.

RM

RM has the probable right (best) answer due to transfer credit(s) being evaluated and discounted (previously earned 100 credit hours, they will recognize maybe 70) anywhere else. And all other institutions will have a set number of required hours at their institution.

DDM
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

daleddm wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:31 am...
RM has the probable right (best) answer due to transfer credit(s) being evaluated and discounted (previously earned 100 credit hours, they will recognize maybe 70) anywhere else. And all other institutions will have a set number of required hours at their institution.

DDM
FWIW, Excelsior College I mentioned above is very open at accepting transfer units (as long as from an accredited institution, or credit by examination as long as evaluated by one of the recognized education bodies.) I think they have a requirement of a single 1 unit online class through the school, and the remainder of units can be transfer credits or credits by examination, as long as you can map the completed courses/credits to fit the requirements for whichever degree program you're enrolled in.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

windaar wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:55 pm
alfaspider wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:18 pma degree that is easy to obtain is never going to be viewed the same as one that is difficult to obtain.
An "easy" online degree is going to be seen as worthless. I don't hire for a living but have been on hiring committees many times and I can tell you that an applicant with an online degree from an unknown school will not get an interview.
I don't think anyone here is recommending an "easy" online degree.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JupiterJones wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:00 am
windaar wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:55 pm
I don't think anyone here is recommending an "easy" online degree.
It's silly to make generalizations. It's completely dependent on the industry, individual organization, and even the person. We all likely know people who work for major corporations with degrees from online programs or even for profit universities - I know 2 people with FAANG jobs who have degrees from for profits. IMO, already having experience and proven production in a corporate environment (like my wife did and OP's wife does) further decreases the weight of the name of the school on the degree.
DarkMatter731

Post by DarkMatter731 »

Someone will probably pop up and say the only degree that matters is one from an Ivy...

It's absurd though that so many employers require a degree. I work at an investment firm where if you don't have the right institution, your resume is thrown away. It makes no sense considering older employees have a much wider variety in the institutions they attended.
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave »

As I'm reading the postings, I thought to add the following, which might be helpful.

If you really want to work within a particular organization, try to network with people in that organization. Even the strictest "rules" can be altered for someone who is inside. I don't mean anything nefarious or illegal by the statement, just the power of networking and proximity.

Hope this helps,

Peter
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

DarkMatter731 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:47 am Someone will probably pop up and say the only degree that matters is one from an Ivy...

It's absurd though that so many employers require a degree. I work at an investment firm where if you don't have the right institution, your resume is thrown away. It makes no sense considering older employees have a much wider variety in the institutions they attended.
Although the nice thing is that the weeding-out works both ways. If someone tosses my resume in the circular file solely because my undergrad was from a state school, that saves me from potentially working for a bunch of snobs and elitists.

And if they reject my Master's solely because I got it online? That's a dodged bullet too, since such a company probably has other outmoded views towards things like remote work, etc., and may even potentially lag in their sector due to not keeping up with the times.

"Get me Jones in marketing and see if we can get in on this 'Internet' thing my grandkids keep talking about..." :D
tj

Post by tj »

Charter oak state college, Thomas Edison State University and Excelsior are the "big three" which allow substantial transfer credits and it's much cheaper than Western Governors University. They may have more caps on transfer credits than they used to though. There is a forum, degreeforum.net which goes into much more detail.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

It’s been almost two weeks since the original post. If OP is doing it right, they should have that easy degree by now….. https://www.instantdegrees.com/

I might just get me a PhD after I retire.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

AerialWombat wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:38 pm
However, the piece of paper they sent me wasn't nearly as fancy as they claimed it would be. So exercise due diligence in where you buy your fake degree from.
I’d like to nominate this as the most Bogelhead quote ever.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Normchad wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:42 pm
AerialWombat wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:38 pm
However, the piece of paper they sent me wasn't nearly as fancy as they claimed it would be. So exercise due diligence in where you buy your fake degree from.
I’d like to nominate this as the most Bogelhead quote ever.
I am honored by your nomination! :sharebeer
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

cashmoney wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:58 pm

I believe that it is quite expensive.

I would not vouch for its academic quality or the reaction of Americans if you have attended university there.