Share your Net Worth Regression

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Little_Carmine

Share your Net Worth Regression

Post by Little_Carmine »

I’ve noticed the “share your net worth progression” thread becomes oddly quiet during times of market declines.

Thought this thread could be used to talk about “regressing” (aka, net worth decreasing) to keep net worth discussion going.

Even if your net worth decreased for reasons other than the market tanking, you can share that as well.
Last edited by Little_Carmine on Fri May 06, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sacred & the Proprane
Aged Maduro

Re: Share your Net Worth Regression

Post by Aged Maduro »

December of 2021- $3,030,000
May of 2022 - $2,760,000
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Little_Carmine wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:49 am I’ve noticed the “share your net worth progression” thread becomes oddly quiet during times of market declines.

Thought this thread could be used to talk about “regressing” to keep net worth discussion going.

Even if your net worth decreased for reasons other than the market tanking, you can share that as well.
Unless you've had a windfall in the last few months, chances are your NW has dropped in '22. I don't find it particularly odd that less people share when their NW falls.
Topic Author
Little_Carmine

Post by Little_Carmine »

stoptothink wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:55 am
Little_Carmine wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:49 am I’ve noticed the “share your net worth progression” thread becomes oddly quiet during times of market declines.

Thought this thread could be used to talk about “regressing” to keep net worth discussion going.

Unless you've had a windfall in the last few months, chances are your NW has dropped in '22. I don't find it particularly odd that less people share when their NW falls.
I agree. It's human nature for people not to want to share those big drops. But sharing just how much those drops cost them could be beneficial for those who are new to investing or have a lot of cash on the sidelines. Maybe it can show someone how they would tolerate a large drop in their net worth, help them determine an asset allocation, etc.
The Sacred & the Proprane
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

Net worth just keeps flopping around in the $1.55M to $1.65M range for the last maybe 8 months or so. Feels like 2018 a bit from that perspective: a lot of sideways with contributions battling price declines.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Who knows, don't check it very often. Net worth either means a lot of very little, depending on your stage in life.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of people who still have progression based on:
1) High contribution amounts to accounts
2) Real estate value increases
3) Large cash balances

Won't think about gearing down for at least another 4-years from work, so if it had to happen, now is better for making some purchases of equities that are on sale (compared to 4-years from now)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

HootingSloth wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:06 am Net worth just keeps flopping around in the $1.55M to $1.65M range for the last maybe 8 months or so. Feels like 2018 a bit from that perspective: a lot of sideways with contributions battling price declines.
We only do an actual tally once a year, but I can do back-of-napkin estimates pretty quickly. We're saving more than ever, wife's company stock is doing fantastic, and our home value keeps going up, but we've been going up-and-down in the $1.7M - $1.9M range over the last approximately 8 months.
broncocountry25

Post by broncocountry25 »

These are the best times to be investing! Of course it never makes you feel as warm and fuzzy if you check your account balance every month and see it went down but assets are on sale. So for those that are still accumulating it is always more exciting to me when markets are in turmoil. As long as you stay employed/or keep your business going its a great time to stack it up.

Then when the market comes back and ultimately keeps climbing you see how drastic the upswing is for those that stay the course. I think these times are a mental game more then anything.

Stock market is the only place that people leave the store when prices go on sale and rush in when prices are high to buy. Averaging in and enjoying the warmer weather is my summer plan! :sharebeer
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

Investment balance is down about $200K, but house value seems to have gone up by a similar amount, so, neutral?
rocket354

Post by rocket354 »

runner3081 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:16 am Who knows, don't check it very often. Net worth either means a lot of very little, depending on your stage in life.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of people who still have progression based on:
1) High contribution amounts to accounts
2) Real estate value increases
3) Large cash balances

Won't think about gearing down for at least another 4-years from work, so if it had to happen, now is better for making some purchases of equities that are on sale (compared to 4-years from now)
That's me. My NW is up about 10-15% since Nov, 2021. Heavy on RE and a high savings rate. Equities are down for me like everyone else. But, I imagine many or even most Bogleheads are down from a NW perspective.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

SC Anteater wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:41 am Investment balance is down about $200K, but house value seems to have gone up by a similar amount, so, neutral?
Similar trend here. I havent checked all accounts but similar... 401k/roth/HSA balances all down, house value way up and big raise/bonus caused cash savings balance to increase.
canucksmoney

Post by canucksmoney »

My portfolio is 70/25/5 of equities/bonds/cash.

I do not count my house or my added income.

Down over 600K since Jan 1, 2022.

It happens.
Last edited by canucksmoney on Fri May 06, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dvvader

Post by dvvader »

As of April 30th, my portfolio is down ~$60k ($558k to $498k) since January 1. This includes contributions to date and a $21k withdrawal from taxable in February to pay for a house project, taxes, and the birth of my 4th child. I'm not happy, but it is what it is.
Bogleheads® emphasize regular saving, broad diversification, and sticking to one's investment plan regardless of market conditions.
Stoic9

Post by Stoic9 »

BLUF: We are up on NW based on two things; real estate (rents) and I poured money (oil) into market in 2020. I track YoY and Date of retirement to present. Coming to the close of year 5. The financial part of our retirement plan had 4 parts.

Portfolio: YTD is down almost 17% for a 'regression' of almost 1/2M, since retirement to present it is up.

Real Estate: YTD is up, since retirement is up

Passive income: YTD steady but will be up by end of 2022, since retirement way up (mostly because rents are way up 20-22, in several cases rents are up over 50% from 2020 to present)

Debt: steady at zero
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I used to look once a week. Now that I'm retired, I generally only do it once a month when I reconcile my accounts. When I'm in Quicken I note the displayed balance of my investments visible on the Home page. Then I update my accounts and note the new balance and calculate the difference. Of course, it's down this month. More than I made in my highest paid year when I was working. I also keep track on how my IRA balance compares to the eoy balance on which my RMD was calculated. Then I get on with life.

Aside: I also calculated that, not including planned charitable giving and fed taxes, I have not even been spending $1k a month so far this year. Not that I haven't been trying, but my long-planned cruise had to be moved out another year. I think this will make me feel better when I start reserving hotel rooms in France for October and have to pay more than usual.
njdealguy

Post by njdealguy »

My NW went from 1.1MM down to 950k......actually about half of that is unchanged home equity so my actual investment portfolio went from about 550k to about 375k.

Its just about where it was before the 2020 pandemic crash and largely due to greed and not following the advice on this website and instead gambling on numerous individual tech stocks and funds like Cathie Wood's ARKK. Pre-pandemic used to be mostly in total market index funds. Sucks to no longer be millionaire for more than a year and virtue of staying the course!
Last edited by njdealguy on Fri May 06, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

I was a millionaire for exactly one day, January 4th :oops:
BogleCPA

Post by BogleCPA »

Since 12/31/21, "retirement assets" have decreased by $13K, from $362K to $349K. We are in our early 30's, so we are young enough that our new contributions have been able to balance out most of the YTD losses.

In that same time period, our equity in our home has gone up by $108K, so despite the $13K decrease in retirement assets, our net worth is actually about $95K higher right now than it was at year-end.
tacobellcow

Post by tacobellcow »

Dec. 2021 $1.2m
May. 2022 $1.194m

Doing okay based on continued saving, home equity and 401k matches.
invest2bfree

Post by invest2bfree »

4.5 million to 4.1million, I was 60/40 down 400k.

Did not expect bonds to be crushed like this.

Still up 33% from covid lows.

Need to go little bit conservative like 50 stocks /50 cash. Iam not at all confident with stocks just starting to go down. Next month will be crazy I think.
36% (IRA) - Individual LT Corporate Bonds , 33%(taxable) - schy, 33%(taxable) - SCHD Dividend Growth
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Tamalak wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:42 pm I was a millionaire for exactly one day, January 4th :oops:
i love this.

and i love this post by Little_Carmine. Thanks for asking!
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
racy

Post by racy »

Since retiring in March 2013, from Net Worth highs to lows --
* down 3.5% from Oct 2017 to Jan 2018
* down 10.9% from Jan 2020 to Mar 2020
* down 14.1% from Nov 2021 to May 5, 2022

I've (nerdily) tracked my monthly net worth for 32.3 years and can report: 72% of the months are higher than the previous month. We're currently experiencing some of the 28% months :beer
Last edited by racy on Fri May 06, 2022 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HappyPappy

Post by HappyPappy »

May 2021: . . . . . . 1.0M
December 2021: . . 1.2M
March 2022: . . . . 1.2M
May 2022: . . . . . 1.2M

Contributions and home appreciation are off-setting declines in the retirement accounts
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

Tamalak wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:42 pm I was a millionaire for exactly one day, January 4th :oops:
Congratulations! It will be even more fun the second time. :beer
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
Kristopher

Post by Kristopher »

December -> March: up
March -> June: possibly down or flat :confused
HappyPappy

Post by HappyPappy »

College
May 2021: . . . . . . 60k
December 2021 . . . 73k
May 2022: . . . . . . 76k

Retirement
May 2021: . . . . . . .674K
December 2021: . . .755K
May 2022: . . . . . . .708k

Emergency Savings
May 2021: . . . . . .76k
December 2021 . . .74k
May 2022: . . . . . . 75k

What I'd like to see for myself, is the difference in the percentage declines between the three above buckets of savings. If my allocations are right, I should see big declines in the retirement bucket, moderate declines in the college bucket, and little decline in the emergency savings (which is getting chewed up by inflation anyway :confused) A lot of our net-worth is in our house, and that kind of feels like phony money to me. '
aspiringboglehead

Post by aspiringboglehead »

Aw, I thought this thread would be about how consistent our accumulation was - i.e., how near to the regression line. :)

(The correlation coefficient of my portfolio's growth over time, including both savings and investment returns, has been .963. I'm at 25%/75%.)
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I'd go for more drama when you tell the story: "Let me warn you, I used to be a millionaire, and now look at me! I was more naive back then, and lost it in a single day. If you don't want to end up like me, you'll take my advice about..." (unrelated, unimportant topic of your choosing).
PFOS

Post by PFOS »

Married Couple (Early 30s)
Beginning of Year: 360k in accounts, 500k if you include house
Now: 340k in accounts, 505k if you include house

Honestly, I've only recently gotten to the point where I see one-day five-figure swings in our portfolio so I do find that a little disconcerting. But what else can I do with the money? I can't afford to invest in Beanie Baby NFTs so might as well keeping putting a little bit of money in the market every month
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Before: $30 billion from trading total return swaps. Now, $0? But at least I took down some investment banks with me?
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

Investments are down, house is up ( :confused ), cash is up because we are saving for an upcoming expense. Net of everything is negative YTD, but not by even 1%.

This volatility is novel because it's been a while (covid crash notwithstanding) since most folks saw swings of this size. It is small potatoes for someone who is mid accumulation with a comfortable AA. We buy now so that the value may increase over the next 50 years. :sharebeer

My market-timing retired dad, however, who has been crowing about the returns of tech and semiconductor stocks for the last 5 years, bailed out of the market again a couple of months ago. The good news is he was only playing with fun money after my mom became the financial manager upon retiring. Their nest egg is in VBIAX and all is well. The "bad" news is he just realized nearly 6 figures in gains on that play money, including a lot of short term gains and my mom will have to defer part of her planned Roth conversion this year. Needless to say the CG tax bill is coming out of that play money account.... :oops:
Last edited by Tamarind on Fri May 06, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy »

Dec. 31, 2021 - What's the wait time at Outback?
May 6, 2022 - What's your mother making?
"I've worked in the private sector. They expect results." - Dr. Raymond Stantz
artpennypacker

Post by artpennypacker »

Since December

Securities down ~12%
Real Estate up maybe 2%

Equity in PE that bought my company, only Carnac the Magnificent can see...or the companies CFO.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

I got you beat, I was a millionaire 6 TIMES since November :sharebeer . All non-consecutive days, but still. Does that mean I'm an ex-multi-millionaire? I like it :D

But to answer the question:

12/31 - $993k
04/30 - $907k

Pretty close to the same today. That's with about $40k of net new contributions since January.
Last edited by pasadena on Fri May 06, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnikaW

Post by AnnikaW »

Investments 60% equities (90% VTI, VXUS, 10% company stock and a couple of other stocks)/ 40% (BND, intl bond fund, I-bonds, stable value, cash)

Jan 1 2022 $1.88
May 5 2022 $1.77

Added ~$100K (bonus, max out 401K, taxable.)

NW probably still $3.4 million or so.
Last edited by AnnikaW on Fri May 13, 2022 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Norsky19

Post by Norsky19 »

Net worth: High of 4,650,000 now 4,430,000
Investments: 3,250,000 down to now 2,940,000
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Down about 12% not accounting for some real estate that I plan on dying with.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

December 2021 - 759k
May 2021 - 707k

Might be a little bit lower after these last couple days. Down about 7% in a 90/10 portfolio. Had some bonuses come in that all went into investments. Hoping to see the fruits of that sooner rather than later, but we’ll see.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Here are our numbers:
Ages: 47, 47, 7
Gross Income: $115k
Net Worth on 1/1/2022: $1,685,000
Net Worth on 5/6/2022: $1,797,000

I have the sense that this forum is sort of unusual and most people’s net worth has either stayed about the same or actually gone up since the start of the year.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

pasadena wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:30 pm
I got you beat, I was a millionaire 6 TIMES since November :sharebeer . All non-consecutive days, but still. Does that mean I'm an ex-multi-millionaire? I like it :D
No, not a ex-multi-millionaire, but rather a multi-ex-millionaire. :wink:
egri

Post by egri »

Total of taxable brokerages, TSP and IRA:

December 31, 2021 -- $140,423.53

May 6, 2022 -- $145,157.21

And that's with me shoveling in over $25,000 this year. On the plus side, at least stocks are on sale. :sharebeer
Last edited by egri on Sat May 07, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ge1

Post by ge1 »

I don’t usually pay attention to net worth including residence, but after the big up day this week (Wednesday?), my spreadsheet showed 7.0m the first time, so that was pretty cool.

We are up 85k YTD in investment returns and house is up easily 150k.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

My net worth is still increasing but slower than usual for obvious reasons: $1.86 to 1.89 YTD.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:23 pm Here are our numbers:

I have the sense that this forum is sort of unusual and most people’s net worth has either stayed about the same or actually gone up since the start of the year.
How so? Because real estate? If so I agree, most people here don’t include their primary residence in their net worth.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

December 31, 2021: 5,220,978.89

April 30, 2022: 4,653,657.50

Above amounts include investments, cash holdings, and HSA balances. I don’t count house value or what it is our checking accounts or anything else.

No dividends or interest has been reinvested other than what is in IRAs (roughly $1M in value) and HSAs (roughly $11k in value) as I use them for living expenses, and no contributions since December 31st have been made to anything other than the HSAs (full family contribution was made in January 2022).

Investments are roughly around 55/45, give or take a few percentage points on either side, with around 9% of the total in International. Cash is about 7 to 8% of our net worth.

We are basically back to where we were on December 31, 2020, but given the slide this week, probably even back to where we were in November of 2020.

I’ll be honest: I’m not enjoying the regression.
Most experiences are better imagined.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

mnsportsgeek wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:35 pm
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:23 pm Here are our numbers:

How so? Because real estate? If so I agree, most people here don’t include their primary residence in their net worth.
Many people don't have all that much invested and their net worth often consists largely of home equity. I am not sure if most people here include their primary residence in their net worth or not but the equity in the home should be included per the definition of net worth. Since home prices have risen recently and many people don't have much saved/invested elsewhere, I would imagine that most people's net worth likely hasn't gone down much this year.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

1/1/2022 - High Water Mark - 1.128M
1/31/2022 1.075M
2/28/2022 1.083M
3/31/2022 1.114M
4/30/2022 1.033M

Current 5/6/2022 1.027M

Year to date contributions to my portfolio are $52,000 so these numbers would be a lot worse if contributions were adjusted.... yeah, just an ugly picture all around :?

I am optimistic for a recovery in the 2nd half... a lot of the market is stupidly oversold given earnings and PEs just due to irrational panic with interest rates.
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

All-time high in October 2021 was $617k.

Today it’s $547k.

All equity portfolio. No RE.
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:55 pm 1/1/2022 - High Water Mark - 1.128M
1/31/2022 1.075M
2/28/2022 1.083M
3/31/2022 1.114M
4/30/2022 1.033M

Current 5/6/2022 1.027M

Year to date contributions to my portfolio are $52,000 so these numbers would be a lot worse if contributions were adjusted.... yeah, just an ugly picture all around :?

I am optimistic for a recovery in the 2nd half... a lot of the market is stupidly oversold given earnings and PEs just due to irrational panic with interest rates.
You are still a millionaire. It’s possible you may become a millionaire many times.
theorist

Post by theorist »

We are down 641k in liquid investments this year, * after * including contributions. Not fun! (I don’t include our house value; we don’t plan to sell and it is hard to value accurately, though I could use “Zillow” and “Redfin”).