Lexus RX 350 Vs Lexus RX 450 hybrid

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ram

Lexus RX 350 Vs Lexus RX 450 hybrid

Post by ram »

I am in the market for a reliable quiet luxury SUV with a budget up to 100K.
Essential:
SUV (not minivan or wagon)
AWD (live in the snow belt, car will have snow tires in winter)
Very reliable (less visits for repairs over 10 to 12 years)
At least 4 comfortable seats, at least 5 total seats.
Heated front seats.
Heated steering wheel.
All the newer safety features.
Remote start.
Apple compatibility.

Desirable:
Cooled seats.
Automatic windshield wipers.
Upgraded speakers.
360 view camera.
Ability to tow a 13 or 16 foot lightweight fiberglass trailer or aluminum trailer. (may get one in a few years when we retire) (this requirement is less important.)

We have been very happy in the past with two Toyota Camrys, one Toyota Avalon and a Lexus 460 sedan as well as some Honda vehicles.

I understand that the hybrid version of Lexus RX is more powerful and also has a better mileage. The dealer tells me that the RX450 hybrid mostly comes in Luxury package and I am OK with paying for it. One local dealer is agreeable to selling it to me for MSRP (about 65.5K) (Another one wanted me to buy $3000 worth of unnecessary dealer added accessories)
There is currently a 2 to 3 month wait list.

Does anybody here drive a RX450 h and what is your opinion. I have never had a hybrid or electric vehicle.

I have never had a hitch on any of my prior vehicles. Our immediate need will be to have a hitch on which I can attach a heavy duty bicycle carrier which can carry 2 electric assist bicycles. Later I may want to pull a light weight trailer with it. What kind of hitch should I ask for. What kind of brake for the trailer and does it need any additional engine cooling.

I had considered the base version of Lexus LX 2022 model with 5 seats but apparently there is a 1 to 2 yr wait list.

I have looked at Mercedes GLS 550 and BMW X7 (base engine) but prefer the Lexus vehicles. I also looked at Lexus RX 450hL (4" longer with 6 or 7 seats). The 3rd row seats are very cramped and essentially useless and so I prefer the standard length.
Ram
snackdog

Re: Lexus RX 350 Vs Lexus RX 450 hybrid

Post by snackdog »

You should drive both vehicles to make sure you are comfortable with them and with the hybrid behavior before plunking down $65k. Hybrid is quieter, especially under electric power. Both are reliable for 10-12 years easily.

You can order the tow package, if it doesn't have it. Dealer can install it. Or you can get an aftermarket one later. You won't need trailer brake hookups to the car for lightweight towing (under 3000 pounds).
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Test drive a Tesla Model Y....
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

RX450 Hybrid - if given that choice.

the reality though - it’s unlikely you find either of those in stock :-(
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:36 am Test drive a Tesla Model Y....
Tesla Model Y is a small compact car - how do one compare that to a question comparing two large (okay mid size but they are large vehicles) SUVs.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

I drove a 2008 450RXh for several years and loved it. Great car. But, I also suspect the same reviews would hold for the non-hybrid.

Couple small considerations: In general, the hybrid only comes in a "luxury" model as you noted, so you have to compare apples-to-apples. If you really want all those features, great. If you don't, you're probably overpaying for things you don't want.

The other consideration is that the hybrid requires premium fuel whereas the regular doesn't. Having said that, I never put premium fuel in mine (didn't even notice the requirement for a while). It never knocked or displayed problems.

Lastly, make sure you actually like driving a hybrid. I enjoyed it, but some people don't.
Aberjona76

Post by Aberjona76 »

I too am considering an RX450 hybrid, but dealer was trying to talk me out of hybrid for just the RX350. He didn't have hybrid to show me. Dealer told me hybrid requires using 89 octane or higher. Any truth to that claim?
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Those cars are crossover, i.e. not a full size SUV. Newer model of RX 350 and RX 450 have smaller cargo area (i.e. 18.4 cubic feet) which are much smaller than the segment. Be sure to test drive and cross shop other models. I like GV-80 more than other models.

Genesis GV-80
Lexus GX and LX model
Benz GLE
BMW X5 or X7
Audi Q8
Lincoln Aviator
Time is the ultimate currency.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Elysium wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:40 am
Tesla Model Y is a small compact car - how do one compare that to a question comparing two large (okay mid size but they are large vehicles) SUVs.
If someone likes a Lexus, they will not appreciate the Model Y's harsh suspension.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

I would have a look at the Totyota Highlander hybrid, which is on the newer generation of Toyota's platform. It is 20% more efficient because it has a 4 cylinder engine instead of 6, but still has the same towing capacity. It has much more cargo capacity. In top trim, it's basically a luxury car.
bubbly

Post by bubbly »

I like the hybrid on paper with the price about 3k higher than the base model. However, it’s pretty hard currently to get one without all of the add ons that inflate the price to where it doesn’t make sense from a fuel savings point of view when compared to the price premium of a 450h vs 350. I ended up going to Carmax and getting a fully loaded 2020 350 with all of the bells and whistles you listed for 48k (before tax) last year with around 10k miles.

The 2020 model year is the first year with Apple CarPlay, which is a true game changer. From 2020-2022, there have been only incremental changes, more standard safety features like blind spot monitoring and an optional wireless charger for your phone.

I would have gladly paid 51k for a hybrid version but all of the comparable models on Carmax were close to 55-60k. Dealership pricing was slightly more and many had a wait time for certain trims. At that price point difference, it was not worth it to get the hybrid, even though it was my first choice.
whateverdudexo

Post by whateverdudexo »

i have a 2021 RX 450H F-Sport with the additional Handling package.

Pros:
- better gas mileage than the 350, I average about 31 mpg. Not bad for a 6 cylinder engine.
- better resale. as you've noticed they are pretty hard to find and even used ones sell for more than the 350.
- the usual lexus pros of reliability, comfort, etc

Cons:
- trunk is small. like you, at the time i ruled out the 450hL because the third row is useless and the elongated design doesn't look as nice. however, if you drive with the third row down you get significantly more trunk space.
- hybrid batteries do eventually need to be replaced at around 150k miles. i'm told they're getting cheaper, but still.

overall it's a great car, no complaints whatsoever.

btw, it came with all of the features under your desirable list - ventilated seats, automatic wipers, ML audio, 360 camera. MSRP at the time was $63100.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

RJC wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:30 am
Elysium wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:40 am
If someone likes a Lexus, they will not appreciate the Model Y's harsh suspension.
Mot to mention the appalling Tesla build quality and poor reliability.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

Thanks everybody for the great and reassuring info.
Ram
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ram wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:59 pm Thanks everybody for the great and reassuring info.
Check out the Acura MDX.
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

A week ago I purchased (got possession of) a Lexus RX 450 h for $66808.
About 2 months ago I went to the dealer and test drove a RX 350 2021 model. That is the best they could do. They showed me a 2022 450 h but as it was already sold I could not drive it.
A few days later I got an Email from the dealer that Lexus has decided to build three RX 450 h cars deliverable to this dealer. The VIN number, the trim and the factory installed accessories and their price were all listed. I was told that the same Email has gone to multiple potential customers and it told to make my choice ASAP. Within a few hours I Emailed my choice of what I wanted to buy. No deposit was requested but essentially I had bought a car which had not been built yet. A few weeks later I got an Email that Lexus was building the car in Canada on XXX date, then another one that the car had reached a rail yard in USA and awaiting US government inspection and a final one that it had reached the dealership. I picked it up the next morning.
I paid by personal check.
The car as build had a $600 worth accessory that I would have not bought, but I had no choice.

On the day of picking up the car there were two things added that were not previously disclosed:
- $100 for nitrogen filled tires ( I was able to reverse this charge)
- $300 documentation fee. ( Could not reverse this. I was unwilling to walk out for $300)

I was asked about the usual VIN etching etc which I all declined. The registration fee, tax was all added appropriately and is included in the price above.

I did not pay any "market adjustment" fee.

This is the first time I bought a car without seeing it and in fact even before it was manufactured.

Based on 7 days/200 miles I am happy with my purchase.
Last edited by ram on Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ram
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Thanks for the update. Isn't it nice that it was really painless and hassle-free to buy that car? What kind of MPG are you getting so far?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

The first gas tank is not yet empty. The car data is showing about 25 mpg.
Ram
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

ram wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:31 pm The first gas tank is not yet empty. The car data is showing about 25 mpg.
Are you sure you got a hybrid? j/k, but my 6-cylinder non-hybrid Outback gets better mileage than that. :)
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

Note that there is a brand new Lexus RX lineup being introduced for the 2023 model year, with an entirely new set of engines. The V6 is gone (replaced with a turbo), a plug-in hybrid is being added as another option, and there is even a “performance hybrid” being added as well (turbo + hybrid). I personally do believe that avoiding the first model year of a redesign is a good idea, even for Lexus. So don’t wait too long to make your purchase or you’ll be caught having to buy the first year of this upcoming generation.
toblerone

Post by toblerone »

vfinx wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:29 am I personally do believe that avoiding the first model year of a redesign is a good idea, even for Lexus. So don’t wait too long to make your purchase or you’ll be caught having to buy the first year of this upcoming generation.
On the other hand, the current RX generation is very long in the tooth at 7 years. And Lexus is known to have a dated interior anyway (my gf's 2007 GX 470 has a stock cassette player!). So there is a benefit to wait for the refreshed generation, especially if you'll be keeping the car 10-15 years. We are also shopping for an RX in 2022/2023 to replace hers.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Congratulations on your purchase and thank you for sharing your experience.

Please do a follow-up near the end of the year to let us know if performance matched your expectations and any other observations which may be useful.

All the best.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

I'm driving a 12 y/o Lexus RX 450h (built in Japan) with 120k mi. I've averaged 28-29 MPG, and it's been problem-free, but lacks modern technology and safety features. I've been patiently waiting for the new redesign. Fortunately, they toned down the "wide mouth bass" grill, but now the hood looks like a "baluga whale," presumably for more masculine appearance (though definitely not a muscle car). I'm also leery about getting a 1st year redesign, so waiting to see and test drive one before committing.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

sleepysurf wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:29 am I'm driving a 12 y/o Lexus RX 450h (built in Japan) with 120k mi. I've averaged 28-29 MPG, and it's been problem-free,
I will be perfectly satisfied if I can say the same in 12 yrs.
Ram
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

Bud wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:01 am Congratulations on your purchase and thank you for sharing your experience.

Please do a follow-up near the end of the year to let us know if performance matched your expectations and any other observations which may be useful.

All the best.
Will do.
Ram
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

livesoft wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:18 pm
ram wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:31 pm The first gas tank is not yet empty. The car data is showing about 25 mpg.
Are you sure you got a hybrid? j/k, but my 6-cylinder non-hybrid Outback gets better mileage than that. :)
Edmunds website does mention that the RX hybrid has very poor gas mileage. But I knew that before buying.

With an anticipated 10,000 miles/year, the gas cost difference between 25 mpg and 30 mpg is about $400/ year. This is only about 8% of the annual straight line depreciation of the car over 12 years.
Ram
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

toblerone wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:42 am
vfinx wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:29 am I personally do believe that avoiding the first model year of a redesign is a good idea, even for Lexus. So don’t wait too long to make your purchase or you’ll be caught having to buy the first year of this upcoming generation.
On the other hand, the current RX generation is very long in the tooth at 7 years. And Lexus is known to have a dated interior anyway (my gf's 2007 GX 470 has a stock cassette player!). So there is a benefit to wait for the refreshed generation, especially if you'll be keeping the car 10-15 years. We are also shopping for an RX in 2022/2023 to replace hers.
My favorite accessory is the cassette tape adapter that lets you connect a CD player through a 3.5mm audio jack :)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

ram wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:11 pm Edmunds website does mention that the RX hybrid has very poor gas mileage. But I knew that before buying.
I did not know that, thanks.
Oilcans

Post by Oilcans »

Have driven several new Lexus vehicles for the last ten years. Never had a problem with any of them.

Despite not liking the looks of SUV's, in September 2018 I decided to test ride the RX 350. Loved it and finally made the decision to purchase. However the salesperson had a new 2018 RX 450hl that she wanted me to test drive. I did and loved it and purchased it that day. Has all the bells and whistles and have been very happy with it. Get around 30 mpg on highway at 65 mph, but usually drive around 78 mph and get about 26 mpg.

The 3rd row is pretty much useless unless we have grand-kids with.

Have never used premium; in fact the new car sales manager said no need to use premium.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

snackdog wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:28 am You should drive both vehicles to make sure you are comfortable with them and with the hybrid behavior before plunking down $65k. Hybrid is quieter, especially under electric power. Both are reliable for 10-12 years easily.

You can order the tow package, if it doesn't have it. Dealer can install it. Or you can get an aftermarket one later. You won't need trailer brake hookups to the car for lightweight towing (under 3000 pounds).
Newer models (basically '21 and on) finally started implementing The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010. A decade after! But EV mode and backup now have artificial noises. Our rav4 sounds like a spaceship in our underground parking.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

ram wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:11 pm
Edmunds website does mention that the RX hybrid has very poor gas mileage. But I knew that before buying.

With an anticipated 10,000 miles/year, the gas cost difference between 25 mpg and 30 mpg is about $400/ year. This is only about 8% of the annual straight line depreciation of the car over 12 years.
OP, I'm in the market for RX450h as well. Are you able to find dealers to test drive it? Every dealer I contacted have no inventory and unable to provide even a test drive. Based on the inventory it's going to be hard to get it even at MSRP?
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

ram wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:11 pm

Part of the fun of owning a hybrid is trying to maximize the mileage. Gliding stops, etc.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I had a 2010 RX450h I drove for 8 years, put about 80,000 miles on it and loved it. I now own a 2021 RX350 which I enjoy driving too.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

[quote=jarjarM post_id=6771852 time=1657651061 user_id=136836

OP, I'm in the market for RX450h as well. Are you able to find dealers to test drive it?

No. See my update. I could only test drive a 2021 RX 350.

Based on the inventory it's going to be hard to get it even at MSRP?
[/quote]
Hard : Yes. Impossible : No.
Ram
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Dave55 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:22 am I had a 2010 RX450h I drove for 8 years, put about 80,000 miles on it and loved it. I now own a 2021 RX350 which I enjoy driving too.

Dave
Hi Dave -

What about the stretch Hummer limousine the Hedge Fund provides you with?😂

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:35 pm
Dave55 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:22 am I had a 2010 RX450h I drove for 8 years, put about 80,000 miles on it and loved it. I now own a 2021 RX350 which I enjoy driving too.

Dave
Hi Dave -

What about the stretch Hummer limousine the Hedge Fund provides you with?😂

Best.
Tony
Traded the Hummer in for a Bentley. The Bentley has a much better ride.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

ram wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:15 pm Hard : Yes. Impossible : No.
Ah I see, thanks for the info.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

ram wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:15 pm [quote=jarjarM post_id=6771852 time=1657651061 user_id=136836

OP, I'm in the market for RX450h as well. Are you able to find dealers to test drive it?

No. See my update. I could only test drive a 2021 RX 350.

Based on the inventory it's going to be hard to get it even at MSRP?
Hard : Yes. Impossible : No.
[/quote]

Why are you not waiting for the new ones? They have a whole range of trims . Might be good considering the infotainment needed refresh from that aweful dial thingie Lexus did for years