Gardening 2022

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ray.james

Gardening 2022

Post by ray.james »

[Moved into a new thread from last's years thread: Gardening 2021 --admin LadyGeek] - Thanks, LadyGeek

Welcome everyone! lets talk about our 2022 gardening plans. Share your progress and bounty of harvest.

I planted tomatoes, beans and greens - malabar spinach, spinach, lettuce. For the first time, I am trying a fruit tree. I planted a VdB fig free which is 1 year old. So another 1-2 years before I see real fruit. I plan to espalier it as I live in a townhome.

This year I have 6 different fuchsias that are all starting to bud(3 from past and 3 new). It will be a hummingbird fest soon. Will post a pic once they are in full bloom.

OP:
Is there a 2022 thread? First set of vines and plants are in. I am in CA.
Last edited by ray.james on Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Gardening 2022

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ There is now. :wink:
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Thanks for starting the 2022 gardening thread as I can use a little “Spring” right now! Still too cool in my area to work the soil but my seeds, trowel and gloves are ready to start planting a few cool weather crops (lettuce, spinach, peas) in the next couple weeks.
kinless

Post by kinless »

Great timing. Dad and I planted the first of our lettuce crop (iceberg and prizehead red leaf) just this morning, along with some flower seeds along the perimeter that will eventually attract our pollinator friends for later crops. Garden supplies were definitely more expensive this year, but we all know the reason(s) for that…

Also on the docket for this summer are tomatoes (better boy, early girl, beefsteak, and yellow pear), cucumbers, scallions, yellow onions, cilantro, bell peppers, and half runners. The strawberry, blackberry, and raspberry plants were moved to an isolated corner. Some of those berry plants are super invasive and started popping up all over the garden patch last year, so we drove plastic dividers down in the dirt around that whole area to help control the root system.

We’re in zone 10A. Hoping for another great year with our crops!
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

I did some fruit tree pruning last weekend and sprayed dormant oil today. I've got a box full of new trees in the garage and holes dug to put them in later this week. I'm looking around the yard and garden making a list of all the things that need to be done. The garden looks like a swamp so it will have to dry out before doing anything there.
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

Well timed, I just splurged and bought 2 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083J ... UTF8&psc=1
to start my seeds indoors. Picked them up on a flash sale for $169 each late last month. We have rental properties, one has almost 1/2 and acre I weeded last year and put a ton of wood chips down to suppress the weeds and have some fun with veggies this year. At one point 30-ish years ago there were two horses on the property so I am going for the no-till/compost method of planting hoping the ground underneath is super fertile. I had my landscaper run a water line back there so it's irrigated, just need to run drips in April. Can't wait.

I also bought a 10-pack of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089B ... UTF8&psc=1
We get about 30-50 pallets delivered a month in our business which we mostly recycle and the local dairy grinds/makes into stall fill. I am going to have my 17 year old help me rip the good Pallet boards off with a skil saw, run them through the table saw to get all the boards the same width and make some pallet planter covers so you don't see the buckets. I think we will use these on the driveway and other places not irrigated. There are a lot of YouTube self wicking container video's for those of you with more time. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... containers Good stuff.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I'm currently still in the "OMG! How did so many weeds sprout up?!" phase of my spring gardening. I haven't even thought about what to put into the raised beds yet, as I still haven't dug them out from under the weeds.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

I'm currently in the "waiting for the snow to melt" phase of 2022 gardening. It'll be awhile.

Seeds are here. Bare roots, onion starts, and plants have been ordered, slated for delivery late April, when irrigation water starts flowing.

In the house under grow lights with heat mats, I'm planning to start some "cold crops" (the brassicas) soon and "warm crops" (like tomatoes) later. Last frost date here is @ Memorial Day.
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

Started tomato, basil, cilantro, parsley, daikon and Japanese cucumber from seeds.
Had to expand my indoor greenhouse quite a bit to accommodate the number of plants I'm attempting this year.
Planted the daikon outside last week.
Repotted my blueberries to give them room to grow.
Built a raised bed for an attempt at strawberries (gonna try both June-bearing and everbearing).
mancich

Post by mancich »

Just bought lumber for an additional raised bed. Can't wait to get out there and start planting!
hudson

Post by hudson »

mancich wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:56 am Just bought lumber for an additional raised bed. Can't wait to get out there and start planting!
I want to build a raised bed for a row of asparagus about 50 feet long.
In the past, I've just thrown up a mound 50 feet long and planted. That's worked half-way for the last 40 years.
This time, I want to try an enclosed raised bed.
Details please. Many thanks!
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I'm gardening with pretty much just one good arm, as I prepare for shoulder surgery, but its still great to feel the sun. Ornamental grasses are cut back, Elaeagnus are trimmed back (I've not found them invasive), repotting all the plants in pots like the forsythia, rosemary and Rose of Sharon standards. My neighbors are putting their house on the market and gave me their antique - huge - stone birdbath which I will have to hire someone to move yet again. The iris are up and thriving and the sedums and alliums are up, herbs like marjoram are growing with vigor. But it's too early to do too much else. The deer love greens like spinach and lettuce, so I have given up on that. I had thought of building a better bonsai bench, but I'm not up for that.

The overall plant is to reduce the size of the yard and garden as I age and let the rest go back to woods. The "fence" will be a living fence of assorted shrubs. Even 1/2 acre is too much going forward to do mostly alone.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

I wanted to start snow peas at the beginning of the month - then we had snow. It's almost gone, so maybe by the weekend I'll get them in.

But there are new mounds of dirt in my yard. Some critter is messing things up.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Going to start most of my plants from seed this week. At the end of April we are getting a few more asparagus to fill in the bed, a few of the asparagus crowns I got last year never sprouted. Additionally in that same batch of plants, shrubs, and trees we ordered should be a few more strawberry and blueberry plants. I plan to try soybeans, brussels sprouts, and cabbage this year in addition to the usual tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
3hrs

Post by 3hrs »

I envy those of you who can start gardening now - up here in northern New England there's still 6 inches of snow on our gardens. The only thing I'm doing outside is snowshoeing and bringing over firewood. But this week I'll do indoor starts of 4 varieties of tomatoes, basil, parsley, kale, broccoli, and Coleus and Zinnias. Those tomatoes, basil, and flowers don't go in ground until the last days of May. For the past few years I've started seeds in cardboard 18 pack egg cartons, which makes it easy to transplant into larger containers - just tear the cells apart and plant.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

Maple trees are tapped, most fruit trees are trimmed (two apples to go). Bought a bunch of seed tape from jung seeds this year as last year it made carrots, beets etc easy to plant and harvest. I need to pick up some more compost and sand then we are planting in the greenhouse.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Still a bit early in my area but I have my 2022 garden layout done, inventoried my seed collection and plan to start cucumber, yellow squash, zucchini, basil, cilantro and dill in pots by the end of this month with an anticipated planting date of 1 May. I purchase tomato, eggplant, bell and jalapeno pepper plants from one of the big box stores. Spring will be here soon!
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

InMyDreams wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:42 am I wanted to start snow peas at the beginning of the month - then we had snow. It's almost gone, so maybe by the weekend I'll get them in.

But there are new mounds of dirt in my yard. Some critter is messing things up.
Snow peas and sugar snap peas are hardy. I usually move snow aside to plant them. I'm often planting seeds as early as late January and early February in Northern Virginia (zone 7a). With our recent warm weather, they're already sprouted.

Last weekend we had snow, and the peas shrugged it off. They're doing fine.

I "garden" through the winter.

I have mature kale planted that I harvest for greens. (They don't grow that fast when it's cold, but I get something that's fresh.)

I have horseradish in the ground year-round. It's dormant in the winter, but I can dig it up if I want to grind fresh roots.

The early spring crop (radishes, peas, beets) are already seeded and should be maturing and pulled by April/May. Broccoli transplants are also in the ground.

I buy sprouting seeds by the pound and have fresh sprouts and microgreens daily throughout the cold months. I don't bother with them during the warm months.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

The Tiger Eye Sumac is a stunning shrub/small tree (eight feet). Its almost prehistoric in appearance and is an eye-catcher for folks walking by it. It was sold as not invasive, but it is. So I spent yet another spring day, grubbing and cutting out suckers and roots to keep it in check. Oddly, for two years, it has not thrived in a large container, but I'm trying again this year. https://www.gardenia.net/plant/rhus-typ ... -bailtiger
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

3hrs wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:33 pm I envy those of you who can start gardening now - up here in northern New England there's still 6 inches of snow on our gardens. The only thing I'm doing outside is snowshoeing and bringing over firewood.
On the flip side, those of us without snow have so many weeds.... weeds from February to November..... I'm sure shoveling snow is more annoying, but pulling weeds also gets old fast. Mulch only goes so far with some of these weeds.
mancich

Post by mancich »

hudson wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:37 am
mancich wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:56 am Just bought lumber for an additional raised bed. Can't wait to get out there and start planting!
In the past, I've just thrown up a mound 50 feet long and planted. That's worked half-way for the last 40 years.
Super easy. I buy 2' x 10" lumber, cut it to the desired width and length, then put three exterior deck screws at each corner. Then I also use small sections of 2x4, cut in 10" length, inside each corner, to reinforce. Then I fill it with a mix of compost, garden soil (Miracle Gro) and topsoil. Seems to work well. I also throw some Tomato Tone in and mix that into the mixture as well. Finally, I use a series of soaker hoses on a timer to water all three beds, so watering is automated. Good luck!
ponzu

Post by ponzu »

I'm going to try some container gardening, but it's too early here yet (zone 6). I recently ordered Tom Thumb peas that I'm looking forward to trying. I tried to grow a little cabbage, kale, and some radishes in containers last fall, but the whiteflies completely decimated all of it, so that wasn't very encouraging. I'm hoping the peas will have fewer pests here. So far I've had better luck growing plants indoors with my Aerogarden and Kratky jars.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Location- Northwest Indiana zone 5a

Last Saturday 3/12 - it was 10 degrees in the morning and we had 4" snow on Friday. However, the weather turned over the weekend and it is now in 50s...and sunny.

So far indoors:
DW has about 20 tomato plants under grow lights - about 3 - 4" tall. Roma, San Marzano, and Early Girl.
Also 4 varieties of peppers (mild bell) including mystery seeds from Aldi purchased peppers...always fun to see what happens.
Also cauliflower.

In the ground:
About 140 garlic - planted last October, now 1" to 2" tall.
Yesterday for fun, I planted a few sugar snap peas, radish and spinach seeds. All should germinate as the weather looks good for next 10 days.

Planned for later:
lettuce, spinach, peas, radish, onions (reds, yellows, whites), shallot, leeks, pole beans (3 varieties), cucumbers, carrots, potato (golds, reds, Russets), popcorn, asparagus, peppers, tomato, brussel sprouts, cauliflower.

Herbs:
basil, lemon thyme, mint, cilantro, and quite a few others....mostly return each year.

Dropping from rotation this year:
sweet potatoes - we dont use them often enough
broccoli - poor producer due to bugs
cabbage - ditto

Ed
hudson

Post by hudson »

mancich wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:00 pm
hudson wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:37 am
Super easy. I buy 2' x 10" lumber, cut it to the desired width and length, then put three exterior deck screws at each corner. Then I also use small sections of 2x4, cut in 10" length, inside each corner, to reinforce. Then I fill it with a mix of compost, garden soil (Miracle Gro) and topsoil. Seems to work well. I also throw some Tomato Tone in and mix that into the mixture as well. Finally, I use a series of soaker hoses on a timer to water all three beds, so watering is automated. Good luck!
Many thanks mancich!

Post by 123 »

I am trying a metal raised bed this year. I want to put down hardware cloth underneath it to prevent gophers and moles from disturbing it. The only way I can think of to anchor the hardware cloth in place is to use a framework of 2x4's (redwood?) underneath the raised bed and simply have the edges of the raised bed rest on the 2x4's. Does anyone have a better suggestion?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Big Heart

Post by Big Heart »

My big adventure this year will be a potato mound. I'm building a Hugelmound. (https://www.permaculturenews.org/2014/1 ... landscape/)

I also planted a lot of new wildflower patches last year, and I'm excited to see what comes up!
Last edited by Big Heart on Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Condo owner and facing north. So I plan on containers filled with shade loving Coleus. The vibrant colors should be very cheerful.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

I'm in central Maryland, and we have been blessed with great weather for this week. So I planted peas and lettuce seeds. Later in the week, I will plant radishes and green onions. Love the spring!
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

Zone 9, so my gardening season is in full swing :happy

I planted broccoli, two different kinds of kale, and cabbage last fall, all of which I am currently harvesting. I also picked up a couple of strawberry plants at the garden center but they are struggling (I guess I planted them too late). Also got some longevity spinach, pak choy, Italian parsley, dill, arugula, and tomatoes that are starting to ripen.

Also planted 5 varieties of peppers, mostly hot. I have been making my own cayenne powder per a few years now, also a really cool pepper I discovered is Brown Berbere, which I also dry and grind and it has a smoky flavor. Trying a few new varieties this year. I definitely have better success with hot peppers than bell peppers.

I also have two peach trees which are just done blooming and set fruit. I already lost a batch of peaches to a frost earlier in February :(
I also expanded my fig tree "collection" from two to five today and I am really excited about harvesting some of those soon; I have purple and green, though I am starting to like the purple ones better.

I also added an olive tree today. In had one in the past, but I didn't pay attention that it needed a second olive tree to fruit. Now I have one that's self-fertile. So I am hopeful :happy
eob616

Post by eob616 »

Zone 7a. Hi again!

Already seeded outside: radishes, lettuce, carrots, snow peas, and sugar snap peas. I experimented with pre-sprouting the peas indoors this year; results TBD. Also planted tulips for the first time last year and they're coming up, and a few kale plants overwintered.

Starts growing indoors, probably ready to start hardening off in a week or so: chard, rapini, bok choy, and kale. I'll start the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants in the next week--maybe just a bit late.

This is my first serious effort at a spring garden, as I was building my raised beds around this time last year. Another fun experiment this year has been wintersowing. I planted 19 milk jugs worth of flowers and spring vegetables during January and February, and all but 3 have sprouted nicely already, so I'll have lots more to plant out in a couple weeks.

Planned for planting over the year: eggplant (2 varieties), tomatoes (6 or 7 varieties), butternut squash, rapini, purple sprouting broccoli, cukes (2 varieties), zucchini, maybe a dozen types of greens, salad turnips, radishes, carrots, beets, snow and snap peas, bush beans, radishes, sweet red peppers, basil, and maaaaybe moringa; small strawberry bed and blueberry bushes will be in their first full year after planting in 2021, plus garlic planted late last year; as many flowers as I can fit. Fingers crossed!
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:25 pm I buy sprouting seeds by the pound and have fresh sprouts and microgreens daily throughout the cold months. I don't bother with them during the warm months.
If you don't mind saying, where do you source your sprouting seeds? I'm just starting out sprouting, using lentils, and I liked them so much I'd like to try others.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Ivygirl wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:55 am
wolf359 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:25 pm I buy sprouting seeds by the pound and have fresh sprouts and microgreens daily throughout the cold months. I don't bother with them during the warm months.
If you don't mind saying, where do you source your sprouting seeds? I'm just starting out sprouting, using lentils, and I liked them so much I'd like to try others.
https://toddsseeds.com/

Many of the sprouting seed companies sell on Amazon Marketplace, but they are cheaper if you go to their sites directly.

I've only bought from them once. I'm on my second winter and haven't gone through all of them yet. (I have 4 jars sprouting at a time in rotation, so I eat them daily.) The seeds are high quality and still sprouting. It just takes a while to go through 5 pounds of seeds.
Edge215

Post by Edge215 »

ilex crenata vs boxwood vs cherry laurel for a hedge. anyone have advice? plant zone 7b. in an area with a lot of sunlight. west facing.

also what is best mosquito spray.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Just ordered my codling moth traps for the apple trees. they did a pretty good job last season - I'm not looking for perfection, just reduction. And then there's the gopher who adopted my backyard.
dogbones

Post by dogbones »

Yay I love this! I am so excited to get this started for my family and will look for advice here from the better experienced here. I grew up with a very garden-centered family and since living on my own I can't find my routine! We are a convincing Zone 6 (sometimes I see Zone 7 depending on the map I look at) on the NJ and PA border. We live on a very wooded lot, and can't get a solid 10 hours of sunlight in 1 area daily during growing season.

How do you recommend we set up a garden - a potted garden to move where necessary? I would love to build a DIY raised garden as I think they can be beautiful (and hopefully keep out the deer and pesky animals with fencing!)

What fruit/veggies grow best in our area (Zone 6)? We eat spinach, lettuce, tomato, snap peas, blackberries, blueberries, etc. but cannot seem to get them to grow more than a few sprouts. Parsley, Basil and Oregano are major wins for me so I need no help on the herbs!

Is there a recommendation for which plants to plant next to another or along the edges vs the middle of a raised garden?

Thank you in advance, friends! Looking forward to learning!
eob616

Post by eob616 »

dogbones wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:14 am How do you recommend we set up a garden - a potted garden to move where necessary? I would love to build a DIY raised garden as I think they can be beautiful (and hopefully keep out the deer and pesky animals with fencing!)

What fruit/veggies grow best in our area (Zone 6)? We eat spinach, lettuce, tomato, snap peas, blackberries, blueberries, etc. but cannot seem to get them to grow more than a few sprouts. Parsley, Basil and Oregano are major wins for me so I need no help on the herbs!

Is there a recommendation for which plants to plant next to another or along the edges vs the middle of a raised garden?
Grow bags might not a bad way to start as you're experimenting to see what locations could work. You might be able to get away with 6-8 hours of sunlight for some things, but not sure about tomatoes. If you use grow bags rather than in-ground or raised beds, you'll need to be vigilant about watering more frequently in the summer. One benefit to a slightly shadier spot is that it could help you eke out a few more weeks of spring and fall vegetables as the summer gets hotter.

If you want a low-effort way to try out a raised bed, you could try setting up a quick bed using corner bricks and some 2x6 boards: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oldcastle-7 ... /206501693

I've also just set up low beds using 1x4 or 2x4 boards held upright with a few cheap wooden garden stakes hammered in along each side. If you try this with taller boards, though, the weight of the soil will bow out the sides.

The biggest problem I had when I was first starting with simple in-ground beds in my current garden was drainage--the soil was almost swampy. So whether you're filling bags or trying to garden in beds, you may want to read up a bit on amending to improve drainage if that seems like it could be an issue.

I'm not zone 6, but I'm guessing that once you're past this week (with freeze weather possibly coming) you'd be in good shape for growing spinach, lettuce, and other spring greens.

Podcasts that I think do a good job of talking through topics include Joe Gardener and The Beginner's Garden.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Trying some radish seed tape this year. Planted a few weeks ago and they are doing well.

Let's see how they persist through the frost coming this weekend. (Southeast USA zone 7b)
dogbones

Post by dogbones »

eob616 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:56 am
dogbones wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:14 am How do you recommend we set up a garden - a potted garden to move where necessary? I would love to build a DIY raised garden as I think they can be beautiful (and hopefully keep out the deer and pesky animals with fencing!)

Grow bags might not a bad way to start as you're experimenting to see what locations could work. You might be able to get away with 6-8 hours of sunlight for some things, but not sure about tomatoes. If you use grow bags rather than in-ground or raised beds, you'll need to be vigilant about watering more frequently in the summer. One benefit to a slightly shadier spot is that it could help you eke out a few more weeks of spring and fall vegetables as the summer gets hotter.

If you want a low-effort way to try out a raised bed, you could try setting up a quick bed using corner bricks and some 2x6 boards: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oldcastle-7 ... /206501693

I've also just set up low beds using 1x4 or 2x4 boards held upright with a few cheap wooden garden stakes hammered in along each side. If you try this with taller boards, though, the weight of the soil will bow out the sides.

The biggest problem I had when I was first starting with simple in-ground beds in my current garden was drainage--the soil was almost swampy. So whether you're filling bags or trying to garden in beds, you may want to read up a bit on amending to improve drainage if that seems like it could be an issue.

I'm not zone 6, but I'm guessing that once you're past this week (with freeze weather possibly coming) you'd be in good shape for growing spinach, lettuce, and other spring greens.

Podcasts that I think do a good job of talking through topics include Joe Gardener and The Beginner's Garden.
This is all such great advice - thank you! Looking into grow bags now!
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

Trying something new this year, winter sowing. Started with native perennials in January and have been working my way to herbs and annuals. Current total is 34 water jugs and juice bottles and will be adding 6 more jugs with tender annuals next week. So far I have 95% germination rate. I would love to do veggies, but we have too much shade and no where to put in a fenced garden. Most of the flowers will go into containers as the raccoons tend to destroy seedlings. I can't remember the last time I grew anything from seed, so this has been a fun way to experiment with new plants and get my fingers in the dirt during the cold, gloomy days of winter. https://getbusygardening.com/winter-sowing-seeds/
Sagefemme

Post by Sagefemme »

Edge215 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:00 pm ilex crenata vs boxwood vs cherry laurel for a hedge. anyone have advice? plant zone 7b. in an area with a lot of sunlight. west facing.

I think first you must decide how high and wide you want your hedge to be. Cherry laurel (huge) will give you very different results than ilex crenata or boxwood. Unless you want a very high hedge (probably up to 20 feet in your zone) don't plant cherry laurel--you will be fighting it for all time.

I have a Portugal laurel hedge that is 10-12 feet (smaller than cherry laurel) and still have to work pretty hard to keep it in check. Twice yearly trimming needed. I do it myself but should probably hire someone.
DMB41

Post by DMB41 »

Hey everyone,

Hoping to get some insight from some of you BHs.

First time home and lawn owner here. We closed on a new construction home in December which came with freshly laid Bermuda sod (also laid in December) in northern Alabama. I've got a little less than 20k sq ft of lawn. I've done nothing to the lawn so far other than get a soil analysis around a week ago from SoilKit (bought at Lowes). The results can be seen here.

As you can see, my pH is a little low at 5.6. However, my calcium is listed as 'very high'. My understanding is that higher calcium should typically indicate a higher pH, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me. The company recommended Sta-Green Fast-Acting Lime Organic Lime Ph Balancer, which seems to include increased calcium content, at 10 lbs per 1k sq ft. They also recommended Sta-Green 14-lb 5000-sq ft 29-0-5 All-purpose Fertilizer at around 2.6 lbs per 1k sq ft.

My first question is what's up with the low pH, but high calcium? Does it seem appropriate to add the suggested lime at the suggested lb/1k sq ft? Will the additional calcium be an issue? What about the suggested fertilizer? That seem reasonable to add at the suggested amount?

Again, I've done nothing to this new Bermuda sod so far. No watering, no chemicals, fertilizers, no aeration, haven't cut it yet, etc. Nothing. Any suggestions on how to best get this lawn started strong, especially as it relates to new sod?

Thanks!
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

DMB41 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:47 am My first question is what's up with the low pH, but high calcium? Does it seem appropriate to add the suggested lime at the suggested lb/1k sq ft? Will the additional calcium be an issue? What about the suggested fertilizer? That seem reasonable to add at the suggested amount?

Again, I've done nothing to this new Bermuda sod so far. No watering, no chemicals, fertilizers, no aeration, haven't cut it yet, etc. Nothing. Any suggestions on how to best get this lawn started strong, especially as it relates to new sod?

Thanks!
Since no one seems to have suggestions, I'd suggest contacting your local extension center. They usually know local soils, conditions and plants. A local nursery may also be able to provide suggestions.
nodak

Post by nodak »

Over the weekend I got seeds started inside for tomatoes, peppers, and melons. Won't get them outside until after Memorial Day due to frost issues.
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

Zone 7a - central plains. Two cold mornings this coming Thursday around low 30s. Will bring in my containers. Planted two sun sugar tomatoes in containers. This is my second year. Last year I planted just one and followed single stem method. After 8 months of growing season it was 13-feet long and produced marvelously despite loads of blight, aphids and insect pressure. Hoping to stay ahead of the pressure this year. Fingers crossed.
Topic Author
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Peppers, chilies and bell peppers have sprouted. The next 2 weeks weather looks good above 60. Need to add few poles for the beans in the coming days.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
stickman731

Post by stickman731 »

nodak wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:30 pm Over the weekend I got seeds started inside for tomatoes, peppers, and melons. Won't get them outside until after Memorial Day due to frost issues.
+1, 10 different tomato varieties, but typically plant outside around May 15 in NJ. Here is last year jungle - https://imgur.com/gallery/dvQ0Tsv
Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick »

Still a little early here in WI, don't have anything in the ground yet except the garlic, which we planted last fall. Maybe next week or the week after we'll plant lettuce, spinach, and arugula. I don't start anything indoors, I buy tomato and pepper plants.

Last year was a pretty good year. I still have 10 or 12 quarts of tomatoes on the shelf, plus some dill pickles, pickled jalapenos, dilly beans, and beets. Hopefully this year will be as good or better.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

One month later and I'm still pulling weeds, although now I'm down to the last corner of the yard at least. It's been warm enough and rainy enough for the bermuda grass to wake up, so I've had to alternate between mowing and weeding for a couple of weeks.

I'm honestly not sure if I'll put anything in the raised beds now that I can see them, because the drought is pretty bad in California. Even with a drip irrigation system for the raised beds, I'm not sure it makes sense this year.
island

Post by island »

ray.james wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:30 pm [Moved into a new thread from last's years thread: Gardening 2021 --admin LadyGeek] - Thanks, LadyGeek

Welcome everyone! lets talk about our 2022 gardening plans. Share your progress and bounty of harvest.

I planted tomatoes, beans and greens - malabar spinach, spinach, lettuce. For the first time, I am trying a fruit tree. I planted a VdB fig free which is 1 year old. So another 1-2 years before I see real fruit. I plan to espalier it as I live in a townhome.

This year I have 6 different fuchsias that are all starting to bud(3 from past and 3 new). It will be a hummingbird fest soon. Will post a pic once they are in full bloom.

OP:
Is there a 2022 thread? First set of vines and plants are in. I am in CA.

Ray James could you please consider adding to your OP to ask contributors to post want area or hardiness zone they’re in? That would be helpful, and interesting to a (hopefully) new gardener like me! Thanks.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Keep my fingers crossed not to get a Spring freeze this year. Some of my fruit (peach and pear) trees are flowering.