What watch do you wear on a daily basis, or are you wearing today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gwaveswims

Re: What watch do you wear on a daily basis, or are you wearing today?

Post by gwaveswims »

Garmin Fenix 6S

Never going back to anything else… Garmins for life!
Stoic9

Post by Stoic9 »

I bought a 'Marathon" watch before my last deployment in 2016 at the PX for $8.95. Retired right after. I only wear it when I'm out of the country which was a lot but not so much lately. I will be putting it on in a few days to head for warmer weather in the Caribbean. Does everything, dual time zones, stop watch, countdown, pace, laps. And even tells time (24hr mode)
srt7

Post by srt7 »

I completely missed the "watch" in the title and thought bogleheads got hacked :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
JupiterJones

Re: What watch do you wear on a daily basis?

Post by JupiterJones »

obafgkm wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:58 am
JupiterJones wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:54 pm Timex Easy Reader, but not on a daily basis since I'm usually carrying sort of a pocket watch.
I wear the Timex Easy Reader as well. It is easy to ... well, read, and no extraneous bells or whistles.
Yup. And I think it's quite a good-looking watch, honestly. Classic styling. Goes with everything. Not too fancy, not too casual.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
AquaBliss

Post by AquaBliss »

Snoopy Swatch. I thought everyone wore these?
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

Citizen Eco Drive diver watch for daily. I am retired and always have my phone handy but still like to wear a watch.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

tooluser wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:22 pm A basic Seiko with motion charging of a battery. It has lasted about 10 years now.

During the same time, I had another basic Seiko "Railroad Approved" watch that was very easy to read, and charged the battery with ambient light through the clockface, which I wore about half the time, but it failed just after the warranty expired. Not worth the expense to repair it.

So I find Seiko to be a mixed bag.
The watchband on the older watch broke this week, in a way that cannot be repaired. I suspect it's more cost effective to buy a new watch.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

tooluser wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:13 pm
tooluser wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:22 pm A basic Seiko with motion charging of a battery. It has lasted about 10 years now.

During the same time, I had another basic Seiko "Railroad Approved" watch that was very easy to read, and charged the battery with ambient light through the clockface, which I wore about half the time, but it failed just after the warranty expired. Not worth the expense to repair it.

The watchband on the older watch broke this week, in a way that cannot be repaired. I suspect it's more cost effective to buy a new watch.
I had a Seiko Kinetic too which I liked but its capacitor failed after seven years, too soon for me. I then bought a Citizen Eco-drive CB0027-51E which has been ticking steadily now for a full decade with no signs of degradation. It’s radio-controlled too so it’s neither gained nor lost even a single second of time in that decade. Its crystal is sapphire.
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

Grand Seiko SLGA007
tre3sori

Post by tre3sori »

suunto core all black

The information provided is intended to be entertaining. It is not to be construed as professional advice. Use it at your own risk.
urban

Post by urban »

Casio F91-W. Same as in this article https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkebp8/ ... cost-price , only in black.
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

If you have a million burning a hole in your pocket, you can buy the same watch as Rafal Nadal wears:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/01/27/r ... atch-cost/
shariq1989

Post by shariq1989 »

Bought a refurbished Garmin Vivoactive 3 from GPSNation.com about two years ago. I wear it every day and it's still going strong.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

LeftCoastIV wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:53 am If you have a million burning a hole in your pocket, you can buy the same watch as Rafal Nadal wears:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/01/27/r ... atch-cost/
He and the other celebs are paid to wear Richard Mille.
We aren't.
They're hideously ugly things otherwise.
catlady

Post by catlady »

Apple Watch. My previous daily TAG Heuer hasn’t came out of the drawer in years because the Apple Watch is too convenient.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

catlady wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:20 am Apple Watch. My previous daily TAG Heuer hasn’t came out of the drawer in years because the Apple Watch is too convenient.
A few months ago, I bought a refurb Apple Watch 4 on Woot. I'm enjoy the info on step/activity. Prior to that, no watch. The 4 is the first model that gives me the heatbeat, ECG I was looking for.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

winterfan wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:06 am
corn18 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:46 pm I have these to pick from right now:

I wear one of the Casio G-Shocks 99.9% of the time.

We're going out tonight and I might throw on the Panerai.

I went through a watch churning phase back in 2015. Lost most interest. Glad I kept a few Rolex, though. Those have doubled in value.

This was fun to see. I like the old IWC watches. If I were to buy myself a nice watch, I'd probably get the JLC Reverso.
My Reverso sun moon is my favorite watch. I like them so much I often think about getting a second one with a different dial for some more variety.

My everyday watch though is an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 8500. It’s more dressy than a dive watch but nearly as durable and can be worn with pretty much everything.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

Old school when I wear one...Omega Constellation

https://www.watchfinder.com/Omega/Const ... zsEALw_wcB
hudson

Post by hudson »

texascrane wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:23 pm Rolex Submariner
Is there a Rolex Submariner watch face for the Apple watch?

EDIT: Yes...not really that close...but it's installed
https://9to5mac.com/2021/01/25/iconic-watches/
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Samsung Galaxy smart watch. Since I've had it (around 2 years) that is pretty much all I wear. I have a couple of nice watches, but only wear them for special occasions where I'd dress up (rare these days). I like the smart watch because I can change the face daily depending on what I am wearing and my mood, I can track my steps/activities and I can check my BP and heart rate.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Have not owned or worn a watch in something around 15+ years.
The last watch I owned and wore was a simple Timex with a chrome bezel and black band similar to:
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
jpdion

Post by jpdion »

Apple watch - allows me to reject spam calls on the first ring. Also use it with my golf GPS.
user9532

Post by user9532 »

In 2000 I bought an Omega Constellation, and I had been wearing that everyday to work,

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omeg ... 0366002002

About five years ago I was struck with some serious illness. After recovering I never wore a watch. That watch is now sitting in a drawer, almost forgotten.
Paddygirl

Post by Paddygirl »

I am a time nazi. I always wear my Indiglo by Timex. It lights up in the middle of the night as a night light whenever I am traveling somewhere and I can see my way around a room that I don't normally don't sleep in. Plus, I don't ever have to take it off because it's water-resistant.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

No watch... its too heavy
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Jonesee wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:25 am Citizen Eco Drive
Same here. I've been wearing it for years. Solar powered. :happy
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Seiko Solar Chronograph. It’s the only functioning watch I have at the moment me it gets the job done.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Casio Illuminator WR. 20 bucks at Walmart. Keeps perfect time for 5-6 years with no need to replace battery. Then I break the plastic wristband and have to buy a new one. :oops:
Illegitimi non carborundum.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I have a spiffy Longines, bought by Mrs Obg for our 50th, which I wear on Sunday. I had to get an autowinder to keep it going.
The other days I use a plastic Casio, 2 For $21 at Amazon. keeps perfect time, and I can see the numbers!
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

None on my body. My 'Swiss Army' watch hangs now on my reading lamp for when I read while sitting in my comfortable reclining chair. We have several clocks on the walls of the house, and on the night stands. Our computers and car displayed shows time too, is enough for retirees or too much.
ChicagoWolverine

Post by ChicagoWolverine »

Rolex inherited to remind me of Dad
Garmin vivosmart on other wrist
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

JoeRetire wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:13 pm Do people wear watches these days?
There are those that wear a watch or have a time keeper with them and then there are those that ask others for the time.

I'm a watch wearer. When someone asks me what time it is, I usually just ignore them and keep moving along, or if I'm cranky, I will look at my watch and then reply that I don't know what time it is.

There is some usefulness to my response. Asking one for the time is a common lead in to a robbery or stickup, thus the technique to just ignore the question and continue on my way avoids that issue.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

obgraham wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:18 pm I have a spiffy Longines, bought by Mrs Obg for our 50th, which I wear on Sunday. I had to get an autowinder to keep it going.
The other days I use a plastic Casio, 2 For $21 at Amazon. keeps perfect time, and I can see the numbers!
I have a watch winder too but I quit using it after reading that its motor may be magnetically degrading my timepieces. Now I just shake my automatics for a minute or two to get them started, it works pretty well.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hilink73

Post by hilink73 »

I bought a Swiss automatic watch over 20 years ago. I do wear it since every day when I leave the house.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

ChicagoWolverine wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:30 pm Rolex inherited to remind me of Dad
Get that Rolex appraised and consider a personal article floater on it. If it is a desirable model, it can be worth $30k these days.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
ChicagoWolverine

Post by ChicagoWolverine »

corn18 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:44 pm
ChicagoWolverine wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:30 pm Rolex inherited to remind me of Dad
Get that Rolex appraised and consider a personal article floater on it. If it is a desirable model, it can be worth $30k these days.
Have no idea. It's a datejust from 1977?
Blueskies60

Post by Blueskies60 »

Gwaveswims,

I'm with you all the way! Garmins rock!
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Jeepergeo wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:46 pm
There are those that wear a watch or have a time keeper with them and then there are those that ask others for the time.

I'm a watch wearer. When someone asks me what time it is, I usually just ignore them and keep moving along, or if I'm cranky, I will look at my watch and then reply that I don't know what time it is.

There is some usefulness to my response. Asking one for the time is a common lead in to a robbery or stickup, thus the technique to just ignore the question and continue on my way avoids that issue.
It often leads to someone needing to know the time finding out the time too.....maybe frequent better areas.... :shock:
corn18

Post by corn18 »

ChicagoWolverine wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:11 pm
Datejust isn’t a high demand model. Might be worth $2000-$3000.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

corn18 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:33 pm
No they’re worth more even the least desireable versions. Value depends on which specific model it is I.e is it stainless or gold? Diamonds? Two tone? What color dial?
sandan

Post by sandan »

Casio atomic/waveceptor tough solar. I don't want to be a second too early or late to a meeting.
Last edited by sandan on Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

FireSekr wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:49 pm
corn18 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:33 pm
No they’re worth more even the least desireable versions. Value depends on which specific model it is I.e is it stainless or gold? Diamonds? Two tone? What color dial?
You're right. A basic 1601 is going for $5000+. Wow.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

tooluser wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:13 pm

I channeled my inner frugalhead and ended up buying a cheap Casio. It will either give me some time to figure out what I want permanently, or be exactly that until the battery dies or it breaks. The Citizen Eco line looks very nice at a good price though, similar to my two previous Seikos, tough decision.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Jeepergeo wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:46 pm There are those that wear a watch or have a time keeper with them and then there are those that ask others for the time.
DW just grabs my wrist. :D
ectospheno

Post by ectospheno »

Apple Watch. My other watches aren’t going to call 911 for me when I fall, let me read my email when I forget my phone, or alert me to a heart condition. I bang it on corners at least once a week and it looks new - tank material. You’d have to take it from my dead body as I’m not giving it up.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

An Omega Seamaster I bought very fine secondhand condition back in 2013. I think it was only a year old. Still looks and works great. I can wear it with a t-shirt or a suit and not be out of place.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

I usually wear my Seiko Micky Mouse watch that my DW bought me before we were married, back in the last 1980's. Love that watch. Reminds me it's time for a new battery. :D

Cheers.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Everyone I know has a time keeper with them that isn't a watch.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:22 pm

It often leads to someone needing to know the time finding out the time too.....maybe frequent better areas.... :shock:
Criminals frequent the better areas.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Jeepergeo wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:17 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:22 pm

Criminals frequent the better areas.
Indeed, there are recent reports of skilled eastern European females preying on well-to-do Britishers, going after their high end watches. The attractive ladies come clipboard-in-hand asking older gentlemen to sign petitions. Afterward they discover their watches missing. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hefts.html
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.