What watch do you wear on a daily basis, or are you wearing today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JoeRetire

Re: What watch do you wear on a daily basis?

Post by JoeRetire »

Jeepergeo wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:46 pm I'm a watch wearer. When someone asks me what time it is, I usually just ignore them and keep moving along, or if I'm cranky, I will look at my watch and then reply that I don't know what time it is.

There is some usefulness to my response. Asking one for the time is a common lead in to a robbery or stickup, thus the technique to just ignore the question and continue on my way avoids that issue.
You lost me. How does not ignoring the question and then lying about knowing the time deter a robbery or stickup?
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
MathWizard

Re: What watch do you wear on a daily basis, or are you wearing today?

Post by MathWizard »

Timex. It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

corn18 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:11 pm
You're right. A basic 1601 is going for $5000+. Wow.
This was a recent phenomenon. Perfect confluence of inflation + rolex shortage + increase interest in all their vintage pieces.
I nabbed one for $3k last Christmas. Should be a $5k now :)

https://watchcharts.com/watch/211/rolex-datejust-1600
SilverSmurfer

Post by SilverSmurfer »

none.
SilverSmurfer

Post by SilverSmurfer »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:29 pm
Jeepergeo wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:46 pm I'm a watch wearer. When someone asks me what time it is, I usually just ignore them and keep moving along, or if I'm cranky, I will look at my watch and then reply that I don't know what time it is.

There is some usefulness to my response. Asking one for the time is a common lead in to a robbery or stickup, thus the technique to just ignore the question and continue on my way avoids that issue.
You lost me. How does not ignoring the question and then lying about knowing the time deter a robbery or stickup?
Aggravates the perpetrator, so it turns into assault and battery. See, robbery prevented!
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

It's a common technique for bad guys to distract their mark. While the mark looks at their watch (or phone), they are momentarily distracted, and the bad guy takes advantage of that distraction and moves in. That's why
"the technique to just ignore the question and continue on my way avoids that issue. ".
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Jeepergeo wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:42 am

It's a common technique for bad guys to distract their mark. While the mark looks at their watch (or phone), they are momentarily distracted, and the bad guy takes advantage of that distraction and moves in. That's why
"the technique to just ignore the question and continue on my way avoids that issue. ".
Apparently, unless you are cranky. Then you are willing to be momentarily distracted.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

great posts!
In 1998, I was in St. Thomas VI and purchased an Omega Seamster 300. I called it my early retirement gift to myself after 32 years. I ended up working for 18 more years but still wear the Omega. It has been in the shop twice for degaussing and I do wind it once a week but it is my every day/all day watch.

I also have a Casio G Shock which I take on vacations, especially to the Islands.
Marty
dickyboy

Post by dickyboy »

fishandgolf wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:27 pm For everyday, I wear some old crappy LED with a plastic band that I got from Walmart for $10.00; it's so worn that I can't even I.D. the thing. When I go out, which isn't too often anymore, I upgrade to a $20.00 Timex that I got for a birthday present several hundred years ago.
Nothing wrong with that $20 Timex. They are $40 on sale now days but their accuracy is unbelievable and they look nice as well...wear mine all the time and the only time I have to mess with it, other than an occasional battery change, is when going on and off daylight savings time.
GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

My daily wear watch is a Garmin Venu SQ, one of their lowest priced fitness watches. I never saw the need for a Fitbit type fitness band until I retired and and started biking and hiking more, and wanted to monitor my heart and respiration rates. A couple of times I was checking my pulse after particularly arduous climbs, and other cyclists asked me if I was OK. :shock: That inspired me to get a fitness watch and I'm hooked on all the fitness and activity monitoring and metrics they have. I care about the fitness watch aspect much more than the smart watch capabilities. When this one dies I will get a higher end Garmin.

I have my dad's Bulova when the situation calls for something nicer. Its sentimental value is much greater than its monetary value.

Previously I usually wore cheap watches, mostly Casios that I bought at Target or WallyMart. Another interesting one I had was an AT&T logo "dive" watch that I got as a work gift. It was a practically a Rolex Submariner clone, except it lacked the cyclops date window that Rolex watches have.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Daily basis - none. In my bubble, wearing anything other than an Apple Watch would make me look even older than I am. That’s probably doubly true for premium brand jewelry.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I wear a Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch. I like being able to change the watch face, seeing notifications if I am at a place I shouldn't be pulling out my phone, the step/workout tracking and the blood pressure reading (I have high BP). It looks pretty good in a casual environment but I'd probably wear a regular watch on the very rare occasion I wore a suit. I have a couple decent watches (Tag) that I haven't really worn since getting the smartwatch.

The biggest negative is it really needs to be charged daily.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I used to wear a watch to work as a sort of professional accessory, but I haven’t in at least 15 years, maybe 20 (once I started relying on a smartphone).
dvvader

Post by dvvader »

CAISO G-Shock M5610-U.

Classic G-Shock look, very durable and rugged, atomic time sync, and solar charging. A really good every day watch.
Bogleheads® emphasize regular saving, broad diversification, and sticking to one's investment plan regardless of market conditions.
Bcdkgf

Post by Bcdkgf »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:55 pm I used to wear a watch to work as a sort of professional accessory, but I haven’t in at least 15 years, maybe 20 (once I started relying on a smartphone).
This. And I don't want a tan line.
Women and men plan, the Gods laugh.
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

Citizen Eco-drive. Uses a photocell to charge from any light. Hasn't stopped since I've had it. Cost about $70.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Bcdkgf wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:08 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:55 pm I used to wear a watch to work as a sort of professional accessory, but I haven’t in at least 15 years, maybe 20 (once I started relying on a smartphone).
This. And I don't want a tan line.
Sunscreen?
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Now that I'm not working I'm wearing an Apple watch. My previous job had a lot of security restrictions and anything bluetooth related including cell phones were prohibited so I didn't want to risk wearing it there by accident.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
GKSD

Post by GKSD »

Fitbit Charge 5

Its a watch + fitness tracker - I wear it pretty much 24 hrs (off only during showers). Have been using it for an year and wonder how I had not jumped on it earlier; now I can't live without monitoring my fitness metrics.
strummer6969

Post by strummer6969 »

Citizen Eco Drive on a nato strap when I rarely wear a watch.
motodoc42

Post by motodoc42 »

None. I haven't used a watch since presbyopia set in and I'm 80 years old now!
6bquick

Post by 6bquick »

Timex ironman. I use the timer and alarm daily in addition to the watch function. it was ~$40. I'll replace the band/battery as needed and, if history is any indication, it will serve its purpose for 6-10 years.

call me old fashioned, but the wedding ring and watch (if you can call a rubber-banded $40 digital watch 'jewelry') is all the ornamentation I find necessary.
If your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

A cheap Timex when I'm working on the farm or construction and a Citizen Eco Drive at work. Other than a shred of vanity, what is most important about a watch is that I can read the time without putting on my glasses.
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

Apple Watch. I like it as a watch/fitbit/text reader/sleep tracker/multi-timer for cooking, etc.
ByThePond

Post by ByThePond »

A self-illuminated Bertucci A-4T Super Yankee on a James Bond NATO strap.

Gotta love the titanium case, tritium tubes and sapphire crystal. Good looking and extremely durable.

Post by 8301 »

First generation Seiko Quartz Alarm-Chronograph LCD wristwatch. It is over 40 years old and is still ticking strong. Modern technology, but vintage. Of a different class from Casio.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Banged up Apple Watch. They’re not good for hiking. Gonna upgrade to a Garmin next. I need a watch that can survive hiking without getting all scratched up.
Kaizen Soze

Post by Kaizen Soze »

Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V for the last year.

I wore an inherited Rolex Date daily for about 20yrs and had it serviced just once. The time finally started slipping so I sent it to Rolex and they quoted $1,500 for overhaul and parts. Instead I went with the Casio G-Shock. One day I'll have the Rolex serviced and give it to my son.
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

strummer6969 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:33 pm Citizen Eco Drive on a nato strap when I rarely wear a watch.
I love my Citizen Eco Drive watch, but also like when I don't need to wear it...
GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

rockstar wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:00 pm Banged up Apple Watch. They’re not good for hiking. Gonna upgrade to a Garmin next. I need a watch that can survive hiking without getting all scratched up.
Fenix. Epix or Instinct depending on your budget. :beer
uaeebs86

Post by uaeebs86 »

rich126 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:17 pm Now that I'm not working I'm wearing an Apple watch. My previous job had a lot of security restrictions and anything bluetooth related including cell phones were prohibited so I didn't want to risk wearing it there by accident.

I was in the same boat so I always wore the Casio G-shock solars that sync up to the atomic time clock (receive only). I have a metal silver one (2nd one I have had) and a black resin one. Never have to replace a battery or adjust the time (unless moving between time zones)

Now that my closed area restrictions have gone way down I wear a Galaxy 4 Classic smart watch. Love it except the charging. It's really helping me with my health (number of daily steps, sleep, etc.)
"Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out." ― John Wooden
swimmingforever

Post by swimmingforever »

timex ironman for last 25+ years- use lap, stopwatch alot
nonstoprider

Post by nonstoprider »

Garmin Fenix 5X for the last five years, Casio G-Shock GW5600 for the five years prior to that.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I’m alternating between my two Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Dates. One with a black dial and the other silver. I have other watches but these are the two I’m wearing right now (not at the same time) :D

Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bogle7

Citizen

Post by Bogle7 »

Citizen eco-drive that my daughter bought for me.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

One of my joys of retirement: no watch, after wearing one everyday while working. Four years in and no regrets. No watch. Just part of a chill, post-working-for-paycheck lifestyle.

Post by 8301 »

JoeRetire wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:13 pm Do people wear watches these days?
Some use their watches to locate misplaced watches. Some people never change.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

tvubpwcisla wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:58 pm I find I always grab my Casio G-Shock GWX-56-1BJF.
Bulova watch! Love them.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
rich126

Post by rich126 »

8301 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:20 pm
My wife uses her watch (Apple watch) to locate her phone quite frequently. And this is despite us living in a very small apartment :oops:
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

rich126 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:14 am
8301 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:20 pm
My wife uses her watch (Apple watch) to locate her phone quite frequently. And this is despite us living in a very small apartment :oops:
I do this quite a bit. My phone is always on silent, so unless its on a hard surface, i wont hear the vibration.

The phone locate feature is genius.
itispossible

Post by itispossible »

Me: Apple watch occasionally; TAG Heuer rarely
Spouse: Garmin Fenix 7s Sapphire
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

quietseas wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:01 pm Apple Watch about 25% of the time, no watch the remainder.
The Apple Watch is a nice to have; my phone is generally within 3 feet of my hands any time I'm awake or asleep.
Apple Watch about 5% of time. Wasn’t a great idea for me.

I have my phone 99 % of time.
westernreserve

Post by westernreserve »

Rolex Explorer II I traded a season’s worth of farm field mowing for it in 1985. $1,500 +/- Big big money to me back then

Worn it every day since
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

westernreserve wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:34 pm Rolex Explorer II I traded a season’s worth of farm field mowing for it in 1985. $1,500 +/- Big big money to me back then

Worn it every day since
That’s a beautiful watch. What color is the dial? They didn’t have sapphire then so is the crystal scratched? Have you ever had it serviced?
buckeye7983

Post by buckeye7983 »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:09 pm
quietseas wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:01 pm Apple Watch about 25% of the time, no watch the remainder.
The Apple Watch is a nice to have; my phone is generally within 3 feet of my hands any time I'm awake or asleep.

How often does an iWatch need to be charged?
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

buckeye7983 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:23 pm

Barely lasts 1 day. That’s why I sold mine.
legio XX

Re: Citizen

Post by legio XX »

Bogle7 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:06 pm Citizen eco-drive that my daughter bought for me.
Me too, but I hadda buy it for myself. Somehow forgot to have children. The backup is a brown leather band Fossil of similar vintage.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

buckeye7983 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:23 pm

Every night
westernreserve

Post by westernreserve »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:02 pm
westernreserve wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:34 pm Rolex Explorer II I traded a season’s worth of farm field mowing for it in 1985. $1,500 +/- Big big money to me back then

Worn it every day since
That’s a beautiful watch. What color is the dial? They didn’t have sapphire then so is the crystal scratched? Have you ever had it serviced?
Black face, original crystal in perfect shape. Yes, I have it cleaned and serviced periodically