Vanguard website succumbs to "Fisher-Price" UI design

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LMK5

Re: Vanguard website succumbs to "Fisher-Price" UI design

Post by LMK5 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:42 pm Yes, I saw the discrepancy in the number of decimal places as well. I'm wondering if they thought that Advisors need more precision. More likely, the page was done by a different developer.

I found the market exposure data on the Advisor website and have updated my post. It was after the holdings section, so I had to scroll down further. I'm still looking for the investment style box as shown on the Investor site.
On the regular site they no longer show a growth of $10,000 graph in the performance section. They used to show this for all of their funds.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

One more: The portfolio fund composition for VTINX.

- VTINX-Vanguard Target Retirement Income Fund | Vanguard (Investor)
- VTINX - Vanguard Target Retirement Income Fund | Vanguard Advisors

The Advisor site has the composition of all the target funds, which is essentially the glide path. However, the section title of "Allocation to underlying funds" implies the glide path applies to this fund. Confusing.

On a mobile device, you would never see the Income fund unless you scrolled right. They should have reversed the column order.

More importantly, the target income fund numbers don't match and the differences could be significant - Total Bond is off by 0.52% (37.20% - 36.68%). This tells me it's different databases not in sync.

Also note that "Vanguard" is missing from the table fund description. I'm guessing they ran out of space to fit the text.
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:42 pm I found the market exposure data on the Advisor website and have updated my post. It was after the holdings section, so I had to scroll down further. I'm still looking for the investment style box as shown on the Investor site.
To be clear, there is an investment style table shown. One column and not at all as useful as the 9-box style.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

I noticed bringing up the new-style fund page for a money market fund such as VUSXX, it gives a risk rating of 1 out of 5, and then the description:

An investment in the fund could lose money over short or even long periods. You should expect the fund’s share price and total return to fluctuate within a wide range, like the fluctuations of the overall stock market.
LMK5

Post by LMK5 »

Makefile wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:32 pm I noticed bringing up the new-style fund page for a money market fund such as VUSXX, it gives a risk rating of 1 out of 5, and then the description:

An investment in the fund could lose money over short or even long periods. You should expect the fund’s share price and total return to fluctuate within a wide range, like the fluctuations of the overall stock market.
My goodness this is getting scary. There can’t be much quality control accompanying the design and deployment of the website. Should we be nervous?
starboi

Post by starboi »

Makefile wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:32 pm I noticed bringing up the new-style fund page for a money market fund such as VUSXX, it gives a risk rating of 1 out of 5, and then the description:

Maybe they know something we don't, and are just trying to warn people. It could be why they are rolling out the cash plus FDIC program. Thanks Vanguard.
Think

Vanguard's Web Site Re-Design: D+ (that' being kind)

Post by Think »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I love the ethos of Vanguard. I do not like the redesign of the web site (the app is no winner either). It's the myth of progress. Let me give you one example. If you have multiple accounts, you can't drill in quickly to see Order status....you have to go to the top of the screen, then drill in two times to get the status for the particular account. I think Vanguard thinks this is easier.....of course it is not. [Unnecessary comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Vanguard's Web Site Re-Design: D+ (that' being kind)

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

have you let them know this on facebook? I wouldn't assume they're monitoring bogleheads.

https://www.facebook.com/Vanguard/
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Think

Re: Vanguard's Web Site Re-Design: D+ (that' being kind)

Post by Think »

btw, All the worthless stuff you can access very easily, but the MOST IMPORTANT things are hidden. WHY Vanguard?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Think's thread into the ongoing discussion.

I removed an off-topic comment. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.

At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters.
Negative opinions are welcome, but please remove the emotion from your post and state your concerns in a civil, factual, manner. That includes comments towards Vanguard.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap »

At the end of the quarter I used to be able to go into balances and holding and highlight my entire account, copy it and paste into a word doc so I could print it out in a few pages. Now, it takes 14 pages to print. Has anyone found a way to do it with the fisher price design? Even if I print it out and reduce the size in landscape it still doesn't fit on a page. This really sucks. I don't really want to download it to spreadsheet or other apps. It was so easy with the old format.
Think

Post by Think »

HanSolo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:50 pm I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

I just logged in to my Vanguard account, only to find that the usual "Balances and Holdings" page is no longer there. It has been replaced with a "Holdings" page that is a redesign according to Fisher-Price UI design principles (i.e., suitable for toddlers). This includes:

* A lot less information per screen than before.

* A lot more white space on the screen than before (more space between everything).

* Most everything in big, bold fonts.

* Ticker symbols in very large fonts, with fund names in fine print (as if they think ticker symbols are more meaningful).

* No longer any colored borders on the screen (which helped to break up and delineate sections).

"Balances and Holdings" is no longer available via the menu, but I can still get to it by entering the URL:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/myacco ... esholdings

I had explicitly asked Vanguard not do to this. I guess they're determined to ruin the user experience on their site.

Anyone else agree that this is a disservice to us?

Anyone have any idea if there's any way we can get them to retain the previous UI?
Thank you - i 100% agree the new website design is not just romper room....it makes you drill 2-3 times to subscreens that were right up front in the old design...how about open orders??? Why is it buried...is it Vangaurd's way to discourage trading????

[All Caps text formatted by admin LadyGeek]
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Think wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:49 pm Thank you - i 100% agree the new website design is not just romper room....it makes you drill 2-3 times to subscreens that were right up front in the old design...how about open orders??? Why is it buried...is it Vangaurd's way to discourage trading????

[All Caps text formatted by admin LadyGeek]
All caps does nothing but make the text harder to read.

Cheers
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

coffeehubcap wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:24 pm At the end of the quarter I used to be able to go into balances and holding and highlight my entire account, copy it and paste into a word doc so I could print it out in a few pages. Now, it takes 14 pages to print. Has anyone found a way to do it with the fisher price design? Even if I print it out and reduce the size in landscape it still doesn't fit on a page. This really sucks. I don't really want to download it to spreadsheet or other apps. It was so easy with the old format.
That's odd. I looked at PDF prints of Balance and Holdings that I save on my computer. I randomly picked a date in 2017 and compared to 9/30/2022 and they are both 5 pages in portrait mode. I just print to PDF right from the browser page.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I formatted a post that used ALL CAPS font. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
We also require that you be considerate of our readers and:

- avoid posting in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS or otherwise using distracting formatting

Moderators may edit, reformat or even delete titles and posts that do not follow these guidelines.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

It is probably best not to go poking around on the Vanguard app or web site if you are bothered by erroneous information. For instance, did VSMGX go up by $0.45 or down by $0.45 on October 3rd?

Image Image
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

OK, I looked it up. VSMGX went up 0.45 on 10/3. However, I like the 0.00% Expense ratio shown on the website (right image).

Today's website has the right expense ratio, but dropped the parenthesis around the ticker symbol. VSMGX-Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth Fund | Vanguard
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:40 pm OK, I looked it up. VSMGX went up 0.45 on 10/3. However, I like the 0.00% Expense ratio shown on the website (right image).

Today's website has the right expense ratio, but dropped the parenthesis around the ticker symbol. VSMGX-Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth Fund | Vanguard
1 error fixed.

Just 1,001 more to go. :D
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LMK5 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:13 pm On the regular site they no longer show a growth of $10,000 graph in the performance section. They used to show this for all of their funds.
This $10,000 growth chart was very helpful, very unhappy to see it deleted.

Although quite frankly, this new Vanguard website is absolutely ridiculous - all I do is scroll and scroll and scroll - and I probably couldn't find the chart even if it were there.

I view the website on my desktop. There's no reason to have an extremely large font presentation and graphs in a financial website. We're not stupid and we're not blind. We want as much information on one screen as possible to view at one time.
LMK5

Post by LMK5 »

I know it sounds ancient, but has anyone written a snail mail letter to the CEO listing the issues with the website? Is it remotely possible that he’s not aware of the extent of the problems?

I’ve done this before with Fidelity and American Century and I’m thinking about doing it now with Vanguard. Admittedly I’m a little concerned about possible retribution.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

LMK5 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:05 am I know it sounds ancient, but has anyone written a snail mail letter to the CEO listing the issues with the website? Is it remotely possible that he’s not aware of the extent of the problems
Please also include issues with customer service and hold times...
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

With Vanguard as with all things, you get what you pay for.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

So I went into the Vanguard website to check the Portfolio Watch page. It informed me today I have No, 0, equity holdings.
The other pages were all functioning as they should but not this one. I wonder if they plan to just do away with this function which I find very useful. I may have to do my own portfolio watch with Exccel.
The guy who picked up my call, checked the page and saw the 0 Equity holding, had no idea what to say. He wanted to know what browser I am using. I asked him what browser he was on, because he was having the same experience as me. He wanted to know if I was using a PC or Mac. I asked him what he was using because neither if us had any better response from the website. It is hopeless.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

PinotGris wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:26 am So I went into the Vanguard website to check the Portfolio Watch page. It informed me today I have No, 0, equity holdings.
The other pages were all functioning as they should but not this one. I wonder if they plan to just do away with this function which I find very useful. I may have to do my own portfolio watch with Exccel.
The guy who picked up my call, checked the page and saw the 0 Equity holding, had no idea what to say. He wanted to know what browser I am using. I asked him what browser he was on, because he was having the same experience as me. He wanted to know if I was using a PC or Mac. I asked him what he was using because neither if us had any better response from the website. It is hopeless.
Works fine with Brave browser (with Shields Down), Windows 10 desktop.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Another thing that seemed to change for me with the UI is I can't seem to buy index funds directly funded from bank transfers anymore; they make me go through settlement fund.
brawlrats

Post by brawlrats »

familythriftmd wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:35 am Another thing that seemed to change for me with the UI is I can't seem to buy index funds directly funded from bank transfers anymore; they make me go through settlement fund.
I have radio button options to "Use your settlement fund" or "Transfer additional assets from your bank". Do you not have both options?
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

brawlrats wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:40 am
familythriftmd wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:35 am Another thing that seemed to change for me with the UI is I can't seem to buy index funds directly funded from bank transfers anymore; they make me go through settlement fund.
I have radio button options to "Use your settlement fund" or "Transfer additional assets from your bank". Do you not have both options?
If you're still seeing it, then maybe it was just being lemon-y that day.
brawlrats

Post by brawlrats »

familythriftmd wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:49 am
If you're still seeing it, then maybe it was just being lemon-y that day.
That's entirely possible...I've had days where I've logged in and it told me I had no assets in any of my accounts. They did change the wording on the purchase page to indicate it is really two separate transactions if you are using your bank account...1) a transfer to your settlement account, then 2) a purchase of the fund. The old website made it seem more like a one-step transaction, though in the background, I believe it was the two-step transaction they more clearly show now.
Kenneth Almquist

Post by Kenneth Almquist »

The radio button was there when I tried it, but what the radio button does is to allow you to enter a transfer of funds to your settlement fund before you place your fund purchase order. You have to confirm that you want to transfer money into your settlement fund, and subsequently confirm that you want to purchase the fund. This is inferior to the old design, which would bring up a single confirmation page showing the fund to purchase, the amount of the purchase, and the funding source.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

That makes sense when you say it. That's too bad.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Kenneth Almquist wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:39 pm
The radio button was there when I tried it, but what the radio button does is to allow you to enter a transfer of funds to your settlement fund before you place your fund purchase order. You have to confirm that you want to transfer money into your settlement fund, and subsequently confirm that you want to purchase the fund. This is inferior to the old design, which would bring up a single confirmation page showing the fund to purchase, the amount of the purchase, and the funding source.
Perhaps they want to make it clear that these are 2 independent transactions, and that the buy will be submitted even if the fund transfer fails.
Think

Post by Think »

I don't know who the [removed] coders are who work at Vanguard (site or app); however, they should all be fired. The Vanguard site is just completely [removed] ...multiple click-throughs to do what could be done on the same screen in the good old days. Seriously, what is Vanguard trying to do? I have 8 examples on just plain dumb page layouts. It's just a horrible site to navigate (I say this as someone who overall loves Vanguard).

[Offensive comments removed by moderator oldcomputerguy]
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Vanguard’s website is blitzing me with pop-ups for Personal Advisory Services. A pop-up will show up, I hunt to find the little “X” to close it, and 3 seconds later the same pop-up is back. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a setting I can turn it off?

This is supposed to be a legitimate, professional investment firm. Instead, it comes across as the most annoying salesy spammer on the planet.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

InMyDreams wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:15 am
LMK5 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:05 am I know it sounds ancient, but has anyone written a snail mail letter to the CEO listing the issues with the website? Is it remotely possible that he’s not aware of the extent of the problems
Please also include issues with customer service and hold times...
If he is unaware, then he is completely unplugged or incompetent.

But one thing is clear- he doesn’t invest his own monies with Vanguard 🤣
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

Kookaburra wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:05 pm Vanguard’s website is blitzing me with pop-ups for Personal Advisory Services. A pop-up will show up, I hunt to find the little “X” to close it, and 3 seconds later the same pop-up is back. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a setting I can turn it off?

This is supposed to be a legitimate, professional investment firm. Instead, it comes across as the most annoying salesy spammer on the planet.
Are you using an ad blocker? I never see any ads anywhere. Sometimes a popup window will appear telling me I am using an ad blocker (not on Vanguard) but for the most part I never see any ads.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Just got a pop up survey when I logged in to Vanguard account specifically about the Balances page. This is about the 5th survey I've completed. I gave my usual response asking for a compressed mode that persists in settings and reduces the amount of vertical white space between text. Maybe eventually they will do it.
GS

Vanguard Website Bugs

Post by GS »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Have others noticed that Vanguard's website has become more buggy? This morning dividends were showing in the wrong years in the accounts dividend section, then an hour later it was fixed. Tonight, some links went to the wrong webpage. Two days ago the consolidated statement banner disappeared and then reappeared the next day. The website's behavior does not support much confidence.
blair

Re: Vanguard Website Bugs

Post by blair »

Yes. It does not inspire confidence.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged GS' thread into the ongoing discussion. The combined thread is in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (website).
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Per my recent experience, Customer Service is more buggy than the www site.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Every year I go in to do my RMD manually and it asks if I want to make it automatic every year. So I set up auto for late in the year in case I forget in some future year.

Then the next year it asks me again, like it was never set up.

I called one time and they said it's all set up, no worries. Just the UI is in the dark about it.
mariezzz

Post by mariezzz »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:46 am And we should not forget that investors are a monolithic group with one specific set of preferences that if implemented would surely fully satisfy everyone. Why doesn't a broker just do THAT?!
Seems like they could have parameters people could set to customize the information on the page (and the settings should be remembered the next time you log in).
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

That's quite a bit of additional complexity for little to no benefit to the company. Don't hold your breath.
twenty characters

Post by twenty characters »

Some of the site is in the new Fisher-Price garb, but the entire site hasn't been changed over. I noticed RMD-doings have the old, familiar, look. I'd prefer one or the other (the old version was better for me).

FNBO's credit card site takes you to an F-P landing page. Not quite everything works there yet, so there's a handy link to go back to the old version of the site. Which works very nicely, thank you.

I was whining about my old employer changing its logo oh-so-very-slightly and was informed that logos need to be freshened about every ten years. Apparently websites are obsolete after they've been up for 30 minutes, too. In this respect, websites are like the weather: don't like it? Just wait.
Van

Post by Van »

New website is plain AWFUL.
headstrong

Post by headstrong »

exodusNH wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:58 am
KyleAAA wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:47 am
exodusNH wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:41 am
KyleAAA wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:37 am Previous Ui was objectively horrible. I find it hard to believe there are that many people who liked it.
I liked the information density. Visually, it was meh, but worked and was built by people who knew how people used the site.

Now, it's some "UX/UI customer experience ambassador's" fever dream.

Wait until you go to sell more than a few tax lots at once.
I don’t have accounts at Vanguard because they wouldn’t even let me buy fractional ETF shares. But for an operation done so rarely, I wouldn’t expect them to prioritize that experience. I’m sure they have better data than us on how users actually use the site and prioritized accordingly.
There's a difference between prioritizing and barely functional.

Here's what you have to do.

Go to the sell screen.
Enter a share quantity
Select specific ID.
Scroll through your list, writing down the whole share count of each lot you want to sell.
Cancel out of the operation.
Tally the whole shares counts of each of the lots you want to sell.
Restart the sell process.
Enter in the share total that you calculated.
Scroll back through the list and reselect each lot that you manually included in your calculation.
Click sell.

Note that you have to enter in a sell quantity before you know the total AND have to quit out of the process once since you can't change the sell quantity once you actually know what you want to sell.
I also strongly dislike most of the new UI changes. This is a great thread I just now discovered. I hope Vanguard listens!
As a 40-year software engineer, and an experienced investor, with long Vanguard history and plenty of assets who does lots of capital gains/losses management, these UI changes are not something I'll get used to.
Two things I think are not highlighted in the comments so far.

#1 Dumbed down phone interface on the web, with Mr. Magoo ticker fonts and too much white space: There is a phone app! Let the phone folks and casual users go over there. That does not justfiy making the desktop/laptop web interface less usable for people who are serious investors.

#2 The changes are not just a matter of taste and preference. The comment above demonstrates that those doing the web design are not experienced investors, and Vanguard quality assurance testers, who should be, and not protecting the interests of real world investors, especially retirees who do lots of fund management and sell orders.
If I need to sell share lots, I don't want to enter the total on the first screen. Give me access to the share lots, showing LT and ST gains/losses details, and let me pick the lots. The software can add up the shares for me. And entering only on whole integer numbers is really dumb, as when I select lots with fractional shares, I have to do ridiculous manual math to get the share lots to add up to whole shares. Let the web screen add the lots I selected, and if there are fractional shares left over, send them as cash. Duh. This is how brokerages work.

There are many more examples of changes that make things worse. On the plus side, for an ETF with SpecID cost basis method, I am allowed to sell by entering a dollar amount. Yay!!! That takes away a big inconvenience of ETF. But I can't do the same with my mutual fund! I can only enter a number of shares, do manual math to take the dollar proceeds amount I want, divided by yesterday's MF close price, and get number of shares. Then I wait until the market close price, and may get a dollar amount much different than I want. So to keep the advantage of MF selling by dollar amount, I guess I have to change the cost basis method to average costs or something else, or only purchase ETFs from now on (too late in my taxable account).

So many other issues, inability to copy/paste from the graphical spaced out screens to a spreadsheet, and way to much scrolling and clicking around. I could go on and on, but I'll stop here. I feel Vanguard is not minding the store, and they don't seem to be listening to our feedback (I've complained about these issues in messages and phone calls over and over).
Billyboy

Vanguard Web site

Post by Billyboy »

[Thread moved into the existing topic on the subject in Personal Consumer issues - Moderator Misenplace]

Do any other Vanguard follower's find their latest website as messed up as I do? To me the ability to find forms or anything you wanted to locate was so much easier on the previous version.
jebmke

Re: Vanguard Web site

Post by jebmke »

Search the forum and you should find a couple of disgruntled BHs re web site and customer service.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Yes but I felt the same way when I started using Fidelity. Took me about 6 months to really get comfortable with the interface.
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
BitTooAggressive

Post by BitTooAggressive »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:54 pm Yes but I felt the same way when I started using Fidelity. Took me about 6 months to really get comfortable with the interface.
Yeah I have bashed on vanguard’s but started having to use fidelity to help my dad because he is getting older. Fidelity is hard because every page has so many choices. The menu hierarchy is a little confusing to me at least.
smooth_rough

Post by smooth_rough »

Vanguard simplified (dumbed down) its site for smartphone users, instead of for PC users. Vanguard is also encouraging changing away from mutual fund platform to brokerage platform. These changes are probably related. I miss bogle.
Last edited by smooth_rough on Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.