Free in-home Covid test Kits

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Katietsu

Re: Free in-home Covid test Kits

Post by Katietsu »

Da5id wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:45 pm
Katietsu wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:39 pm
Da5id wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:15 am The 8/month with no co-pay from my private health insurance also continue to be available. People should remember those, though not all insurance plans apparently cover them. e.g. Tricare (military medical) doesn't cover them I've heard from a friend who is covered by that.
All private insurance is required to cover the 8 per month. As of last month, medicare began to cover the same amount. Based on their FAQ, it looks like TriCare is providing the 8 tests per person directly from their hospitals and clinics.
Maybe the rules changed? I had a friend who was on Tricare and this is what she was told. https://www.tricare.mil/covid19testing# ... al%20order seems to still say you need a provider order.
It does say that. But, at the same time, if you go down towards the bottom of the page you linked, there is blocks of text with a blue background. The first references test availability at military facilities and provides a link with additional detail. I have no idea what may be actually happening in real life.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I received my test kits kit today.

I had 2 confirmation emails for 2 sets of 4 tests. What do I get? One box of 5. :annoyed

The original order confirmation email was for 2 packages (4 tests each shipment).

Something got switched, as both shipping confirmation emails now point to the same tracking number.

It will be interesting to see if anything shows up in the next few days, as the Subject line in one of the shipping emails said to expect delivery on Thursday (5/26). The other email was for the package which arrived today.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:07 pm I received my test kits kit today.

I had 2 confirmation emails for 2 sets of 4 tests. What do I get? One box of 5. :annoyed

The original order confirmation email was for 2 packages (4 tests each shipment).

Something got switched, as both shipping confirmation emails now point to the same tracking number.

It will be interesting to see if anything shows up in the next few days, as the Subject line in one of the shipping emails said to expect delivery on Thursday (5/26). The other email was for the package which arrived today.
Can confirm that they come as two shipments, possibly on different days. In round two, we got a single box of five tests.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

tj wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:24 pm I got 8 ihealth that expire July 20 2022...10 days after the original ones that were sent. Sounds like they were just trying to get rid of their inventory.
The expiration dates on pretty much all of the tests have been extended, sometimes repeatedly, as the manufacturers find out how long they actually remain stable. Last I checked, the ones in the orange boxes with the really short expiration dates have been extended another 3 months.

Link to the approval letters: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/co ... sars-cov-2
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:45 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:07 pm I received my test kits kit today.

Can confirm that they come as two shipments, possibly on different days. In round two, we got a single box of five tests.
Yes, 2 separate, with USPS notification sent by email when to expect. Both came on same day though for us.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Just got 2 email notifications, waiting for delivery.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This morning I get 2 emails. One says to expect delivery on Friday. A short time later, the second email changes the delivery date to today.

The second test kit was just delivered. It's the same as the first kit - 5 tests in the box. The expiration date for both boxes is 2022-12.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

Got ours from USPS in five days.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

It took about a month and a half to get ours (blue box) and they've been on the shelf for a couple more months. I was surprised to see that they expire in July. I used the first one this week when I got a sore throat which progressed into a full blown cold, the first in many years. It was easy to use and came out negative after a 20 minute wait for results. The cold lasted only 3 days. I took the test after a day and a half of having symptoms.

My wife and I are fully vaccinated and I took precautions to isolate myself.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

vested1 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:41 am It took about a month and a half to get ours (blue box) and they've been on the shelf for a couple more months. I was surprised to see that they expire in July. I used the first one this week when I got a sore throat which progressed into a full blown cold, the first in many years. It was easy to use and came out negative after a 20 minute wait for results. The cold lasted only 3 days. I took the test after a day and a half of having symptoms.

My wife and I are fully vaccinated and I took precautions to isolate myself.
Note that the first set from the government program was delivered fairly slowly. I got the next two sets quite promptly.
Crimsonandclover

Post by Crimsonandclover »

Just picked up 8 free test kits from CVS a few days ago. This is available for all Medicare Part B participants every month. Medicare started this in April however it tool a little while for participating pharmacies to implement the the processes for free distribution of the tests.
peppers

Post by peppers »

8 kits arrived on 05/26/2022

BinaxNOW
Abbott Diagnostics Scarborough Inc.
Exp. date 04/14/2023
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

peppers wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:17 am 8 kits arrived on 05/26/2022

BinaxNOW
Abbott Diagnostics Scarborough Inc.
Exp. date 04/14/2023
That's great news about the longer expiry dates.
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

Ordered the free tests advertised on the USPS site about three weeks ago and received 4 test kits today. Unfortunately they will not be very useful as the use by date is 2022-07-21. :confused
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Hiker-Biker wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:02 pm Ordered the free tests advertised on the USPS site about three weeks ago and received 4 test kits today. Unfortunately they will not be very useful as the use by date is 2022-07-21. :confused
"Hurry, hurry, right this way folks!"

Same thing with ours.

So we tried the pharmacy last week, and no problem getting them free. It went through insurance immediately, but I hadn't been so sure after reading about some difficulties some people were having.

And those are good until next year.
I think we'll forget about the USPS freebies. Those have always been short-dated. Maybe they are trying to move old inventory?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:16 pm
Hiker-Biker wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:02 pm Ordered the free tests advertised on the USPS site about three weeks ago and received 4 test kits today. Unfortunately they will not be very useful as the use by date is 2022-07-21. :confused

Same thing with ours.

So we tried the pharmacy last week, and no problem getting them free. It went through insurance immediately, but I hadn't been so sure after reading about some difficulties some people were having.

I think we'll forget about the USPS freebies. Those have always been short-dated. Maybe they are trying to move old inventory?

RM
We ordered at CVS.com and they process our insurance and we can pickup same day at our local CVS. This is much more useful than the USPS ones which took a month to come for round 1.

We still have the long dates Abbot Labs test kits (2 kits per box) from USPS 1st and 2nd round. We also got the 3rd round which were Siemens (5 tests per box).
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

Same thing with ours.

RM
DW had to get tested before going to a baby shower last month and she bought two kits from CVS. We still have to file an insurance claim to get reimbursed.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:21 pm

Same thing with ours.

RM
We ordered at CVS.com and they process our insurance and we can pickup same day at our local CVS. This is much more useful than the USPS ones which took a month to come for round 1.

We still have the long dates Abbot Labs test kits (2 kits per box) from USPS 1st and 2nd round. We also got the 3rd round which were Siemens (5 tests per box).
We've still got a few of those Abbott Labs tests. We had purchased them a couple of days befoer the freebies were announced. And those are still among our longest dated.

RM
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Hiker-Biker wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:26 pm

Same thing with ours.

RM
DW had to get tested before going to a baby shower last month and she bought two kits from CVS. We still have to file an insurance claim to get reimbursed.
We weren't sure about whether we'd have to pay and then get reimbursed. So it's good to know it's seamless, or at least so far.

RM
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:27 pm
anon_investor wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:21 pm

Same thing with ours.

RM

We've still got a few of those Abbott Labs tests. We had purchased them a couple of days befoer the freebies were announced. And those are still among our longest dated.

RM
We just use the earliest expiring tests and those Abbott Lab ones still expire later than the most recent ones we got from the USPS and CVS.

Do the free 8 test kits per person via insurance expire at the end of the year? With the easy CVS ordering, we might stock up since the expirations are into 2023.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:29 pm
Hiker-Biker wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:26 pm

Same thing with ours.

RM
We weren't sure about whether we'd have to pay and then get reimbursed. So it's good to know it's seamless, or at least so far.

RM
If you order at CVS.com for in store pick up, you can enter your insurance info online for processing and if approved there is no charge ($0 out of pocket and no need to file for reimbursement).

We have done this a few times already, the order is usually ready same day at our local CVS.
hiduplex

Post by hiduplex »

Was going to order some more but saw it's no longer an option. Was wondering what free alternatives would be out there?

it was kind of confusing navigating the website and understanding the insurance options. This has worked really good for me and I still have a nice stockpile but they will expire at the start of the year.

https://www.covid.gov/tests

It ended on 9/3/2022
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

hiduplex wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:59 pm Was going to order some more but saw it's no longer an option. Was wondering what free alternatives would be out there?

it was kind of confusing navigating the website and understanding the insurance options. This has worked really good for me and I still have a nice stockpile but they will expire at the start of the year.

It ended on 9/3/2022
The government program ended. But your insurance still should pay for 8 per member per month.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

hiduplex wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:59 pm Was going to order some more but saw it's no longer an option. Was wondering what free alternatives would be out there?

It ended on 9/3/2022

Check with your pharmacy.
Many have arrangements to give the patient a certain number of tests each month and they are covered by insurance. Double check first that the full cost is covered.
Ours are, each month, but I'm not sure how that works or if there is a dollar max per test or month.

Also, most tests are still good after the listed expiration date, which is usually very conservative (as with meds). But it's hard to know just how long they are still "good", which is too bad.
My point is that very soon after that date isn't likely to be much different that a few days before. Your pharmacist may have more information, because some test manufacturers extended their "expiration dates" for some tests.

RM
ehh

Post by ehh »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:24 pm Also, most tests are still good after the listed expiration date, which is usually very conservative (as with meds).
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/cor ... tests#list

See above link for extended expiration dates.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Da5id wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:23 pm

It ended on 9/3/2022
The government program ended. But your insurance still should pay for 8 per member per month.
Some states still provide COVID tsts.

https://www.accesscovidtests.org/
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
TootsieWolf

Post by TootsieWolf »

During the COVID public health emergency (PHE), private insurance plans are required to cover OTC COVID tests, up to $12 per test. Limit 8 every 30 days.
These can be acquired most easily at an in-network pharmacy. Otherwise, you can purchase elsewhere (including online) and then submit an insurance claim.
However, the current PHE is scheduled to expire October 15, which is coming right up. However, it will likely be extended since DHHS had previously promised to give 60 day notice before ending it.
Where I live, the county health department gives out free OTC tests.
ResearchMed wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:24 pm
Check with your pharmacy.
Many have arrangements to give the patient a certain number of tests each month and they are covered by insurance. Double check first that the full cost is covered.
Ours are, each month, but I'm not sure how that works or if there is a dollar max per test or month.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

I walk into CVS every 30 days and show both my and my wife’s red white and blue Medicare card at the pharamacy counter and walk out with 16 tests.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

mpnret wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:56 pm I walk into CVS every 30 days and show both my and my wife’s red white and blue Medicare card at the pharamacy counter and walk out with 16 tests.
What do you with so many tests per month?
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

mervinj7 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:18 pm
mpnret wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:56 pm I walk into CVS every 30 days and show both my and my wife’s red white and blue Medicare card at the pharamacy counter and walk out with 16 tests.
What do you with so many tests per month?
Family
ehh

Post by ehh »

You can order free Covid-19 tests again by mail. https://www.npr.org/2022/12/15/11429261 ... mail-order

Also, before discarding unused tests, you may wish to check the extended expiration date table. https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/cor ... tests#list

For example, the expiration date of the last set of tests I received by mail is extended from 2023-01 to 2024-02.
ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration »

ehh wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:46 am You can order free Covid-19 tests again by mail. https://www.npr.org/2022/12/15/11429261 ... mail-order

Also, before discarding unused tests, you may wish to check the extended expiration date table. https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/cor ... tests#list

For example, the expiration date of the last set of tests I received by mail is extended from 2023-01 to 2024-02.
Thanks! Done
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Ordered, thanks! To expand on the links provided above -

The direct link: COVID Home Tests | USPS - Ordered from the US Postal Service.

Test kit expiration dates: At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests | FDA - From the FDA

Go to the bottom of the page and enter the name of the test kit in the Search box. The last column of the search result will have a link "See link for updated expiration date". Click on the link to see the update. Note: Have the test kit ready, as you'll need the batch number printed on the box.

If there's no link, the test kit expires on the date shown on the box.

My test kit expiration dates were extended from (2022-12 to 2024-01) and from (December 2022 to September 2023).
tj

Post by tj »

Looks like most of my original ones with the July 2022 expiration dates will be expiring in January 2023 unless they extend them again.

Just placed another order.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

If you're on Medicare you can call your local pharmacy and request 8 tests per member for free. It's a Medicare program and most if not all pharmacies participate including CVS, Walgreens, Publix pharmacies among others. My wife and I just got ours.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Test kits received.

Ordered - Dec 15, 2022
Received - Dec 20, 2022

I got 2 boxes of QuickVue, 2 kits / box. Both boxes are from the same batch.

Checking At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests | FDA, the batch number is missing from the updated expiration date link. The batch one number below is listed, the batch one number above is listed. They're one day apart. I'm assuming there's either a typo or that specific batch didn't get authorized yet.

In any case, the extended expiration date is still sooner than the other kits I have on-hand, so I'll use these first.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:57 pm I got 2 boxes of QuickVue, 2 kits / box. Both boxes are from the same batch.
FYI, depending on the batch of QuickVue, there can be a pink reagent bleed that is NOT a sign of a positive test result. For the affected batches I had, the pink reagent bleed was right along the top of the arrows pad at the bottom of the test strip. According to their FAQ, it can also bleed in a vertical line across the test strip. It's only a positive result if the pink line is close to the blue control line in the test area. Info found on page 2 of https://quickvueathome.com/wp-content/u ... 03EN00.pdf

Frankly, this annoyed me enough that it knocked QuickVue out of my favorite test kit status. I started using FlowFlex instead, which also can have a reagent bleed, but nothing nearly so dramatic. FlowFlex was also cheaper to purchase since Costco has a 5-pack at a reasonable price. Right now, I'm still working my way through the last free kits from USPS from early fall. I got Siemens Clinitest back then, which seem to be nearly identical to FlowFlex.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

I got Siemen's Clinitest in mail yesterday.
Any feedback?
I also have to monitor the expiration dates of some of these I've gotten, use has slightly gone down since summer.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

tenkuky wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:36 pm I got Siemen's Clinitest in mail yesterday.
Any feedback?
I also have to monitor the expiration dates of some of these I've gotten, use has slightly gone down since summer.
Like I said above, Clinitest seems to be pretty close to FlowFlex. Fairly similar instructions and fairly similar look to the results. Even the swabs have a cut point in the middle where you can easily break off the end to get the same length swab as FlowFlex, if you prefer a shorter swab. Otherwise, be aware of that cut point so you don't accidentally break off the end of the swab while using it.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

tenkuky wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:36 pm I got Siemen's Clinitest in mail yesterday.
Any feedback?
The Clinitest ones I received yesterday had an expiration date of 12-2022. I got online to see if it had been extended, and the expiration date on that batch of tests is now 1-2024.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Got 2 Binax Now with expiry dates on the box of 08/2023.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

stan1 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:41 pm Got 2 Binax Now with expiry dates on the box of 08/2023.
I also received two boxes of Binax Now (2 tests per box, 4 tests total) with a regular expiration date of May 2023 and an extended expiration date of December 2023 from the FDA website.

It's perhaps my least favorite kit because some of the steps are difficult for me with the nerve damage in my hands, particularly the dropper bottle. But it's free, so I can't complain too much.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Note that per https://apnews.com/article/biden-united ... ebc343b9fe the federal COVID state of emergency will end May 11. With it will end the requirement that health plans give you 8 tests/month with no co-pay. So if you use tests, may want to stockpile some before that date. The article also notes that vaccine costs may rise for individuals. Though many vaccines are available with no co-pay under ACA so I'm not totally sure the article will end up being correct here.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Da5id wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:34 pm Note that per https://apnews.com/article/biden-united ... ebc343b9fe the federal COVID state of emergency will end May 11. With it will end the requirement that health plans give you 8 tests/month with no co-pay. So if you use tests, may want to stockpile some before that date. The article also notes that vaccine costs may rise for individuals. Though many vaccines are available with no co-pay under ACA so I'm not totally sure the article will end up being correct here.

Are the free tests still (again?) available by mail?

Also, is the limit of 8 per month per person?
When ordering by mail, it was per household/address.

Thanks.

ETA: Is there a "grand total" limit per household? We haven't ordered any for quite a while, but when I just tried, I got a message:
"This address has reached the current limit for test orders."
No time frame was given.

RM
tj

Post by tj »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:49 am
Da5id wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:34 pm Note that per https://apnews.com/article/biden-united ... ebc343b9fe the federal COVID state of emergency will end May 11. With it will end the requirement that health plans give you 8 tests/month with no co-pay. So if you use tests, may want to stockpile some before that date. The article also notes that vaccine costs may rise for individuals. Though many vaccines are available with no co-pay under ACA so I'm not totally sure the article will end up being correct here.

Thanks.

ETA: Is there a "grand total" limit per household? We haven't ordered any for quite a while, but when I just tried, I got a message:
No time frame was given.

RM
The quoted comment is in regards to free tests from health insurance. Not free tests from the government.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:49 am

Thanks.

No time frame was given.

RM
I wasn't talking about the government test program, which were one-off events giving 4 per household a number of times (3?) fulfilled by the USPS.

This is the the insurance reimbursed home tests (with no co-pay allowed), which are 8 per person per month. How you get paid for them depends on the insurance company, but the two companies I've had in the COVID era have easy web forms where I upload the receipt and they give me the money. Some other people have had a deal where they go to CVS or Walgreens and get the tests free with their insurance cards.
ModifiedDuration

Federal Government Offering Four Covid Home Test Kits Again

Post by ModifiedDuration »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

[Unnecessary comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

https://special.usps.com/testkits
pizzy

Re: Federal Government Offering Four Covid Home Test Kits Again

Post by pizzy »

I thought they announced back in May that covid was over.

:beer
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

We probably should get them. Last week, even though I felt fine, I was about to have a medical procedure and thought it would be best to test myself the day before (negative). Our oldest kit is just past the expiration date, although they say they are good well past the expiration date... No point in having tests that you don't have confidence in.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:57 pm We probably should get them. Last week, even though I felt fine, I was about to have a medical procedure and thought it would be best to test myself the day before (negative). Our oldest kit is just past the expiration date, although they say they are good well past the expiration date... No point in having tests that you don't have confidence in.
We keep a small supply. Not many medical issues where you can quickly self-test. I test before I plan to see anyone I know is particularly vulnerable.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications