Calling all BH wine enthusiasts!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
khangaroo

Calling all BH wine enthusiasts!

Post by khangaroo »

I’ve been lurking/posting for a few years and haven’t seen too many wine threads pop up so I figured I would start one where we could chat about some favorite varietals, wines, products (I just got some Riedel glasses for my birthday), wineries we should check out if we are in the area, and just random things wine-related.

I’ve only started to get into wines when I met my wife several years ago but we’re lucky enough to live in Portland, OR and surrounded by world-class wineries. We’ve become wine club members at 2 places and I feel like I’m starting to taste some of the wine descriptions or maybe I’m just going crazy lol

Please comment on your favorite wines and if you have any recommendations on anything wine-related. One thing I’ve been thinking about is getting a decanter but not really sure if it’s worth it, would love some insight.
JupiterJones

Re: Calling all BH wine enthusiasts!

Post by JupiterJones »

I think there have been several threads about what the most "Boglehead" wine would be. Lots of votes for "Bogle", of course. :D (Which is actually a very good wine for the price point, name aside.)

I agree that a nice wine glass is a joy to use, although I've never been too picky about having a gazillion different types for every possible varietal. We use an all-purpose "red wine" glass from Spiegelau these days for everything but sparkling wine. Dishwasher safe!

I have a decanter, but it's rarely used. Good for older red wines to both remove sediment and give it a bit of "air" before drinking. For anything under $50, I don't think it's worth the hassle.

You're very lucky to be a wine fan and live in Portland. We spent a few days down in Dundee once and tasted an enormous amount of wonderful Pinot Noirs. As I recall, we visited places such as Argyle, Drouhin, Winderlea, and Sokol Blosser.

My two tips for visiting wineries: Use the spit bucket and bring a small notebook for jotting down tasting notes. Not only is this practical advice--the first lets you taste more wine in a day, and the second helps hone your tasting skills and remember what you like/don't like--it also sends a signal to the staff that you're actually interested in wine and not just some tourist looking to get drunk. There've been a couple of occasions where we've gotten a perq for this, such as having a "special bottle" pulled out for us to try that's not on the tour bus menu.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
tripu11

Post by tripu11 »

Wine enthusiast here, although I primarily collect old-world wines like barolo, champagne, sauternes, etc. My journey in wine began by picking a region and a wine I liked, albeit on in which knew very little about (barolo), and exclusively drank that wine and wines from that region for two years, learning everything I could about the different producers and the difference expressions of nebbiolo. It gave me a focused goal in respect of a pretty broad topic. I learned a ton along the way about other regions by osmosis. Once I felt I had a firm grasp on that region, I knew enough about other regions that I could more knowledgeably pick the next region I wanted to explore (for me, champagne). I've since built up a cellar of close to 700 bottles over the last 7 or so years. Extremely enjoyable hobby.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

khangaroo wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:31 am We’ve become wine club members at 2 places
What wine clubs are you memebers of? I have been in WSJWines and have heard of several others (Winc, Martha Stewart, etc) - would love to hear your experience.
I don't collect - I drink :) and my taste is happy with $15 or so bottles. I like lots of reds (various california, italian, french, australian, argentenian, etc. - enjoy variety but find I typically can't go wrong with Napa Valley).
Also like Ports - have settled on 10 year Taylor Fladgate as my primary go to (good taste for the price point).
Last edited by SmileyFace on Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
staustin

Post by staustin »

welcome... the dw and i are huge fans of rioja tempranillo's for every day drinking and burgundy wines on the weekends. if money were no option, all we'd drink would be red burgundy's.

big fan of sommselect. a great website to learn about various wines, sample, build a case, etc. You're a lucky person to live in the oregon wine region. we're also very big fans.. we love big table farm wines.
staustin

Post by staustin »

tripu11 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:04 pm Wine enthusiast here, although I primarily collect old-world wines like barolo, champagne, sauternes, etc. My journey in wine began by picking a region and a wine I liked, albeit on in which knew very little about (barolo), and exclusively drank that wine and wines from that region for two years, learning everything I could about the different producers and the difference expressions of nebbiolo. It gave me a focused goal in respect of a pretty broad topic. I learned a ton along the way about other regions by osmosis. Once I felt I had a firm grasp on that region, I knew enough about other regions that I could more knowledgeably pick the next region I wanted to explore (for me, champagne). I've since built up a cellar of close to 700 bottles over the last 7 or so years. Extremely enjoyable hobby.
700 bottle cellar... impressive! very jealous.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Not what I would consider an enthusiast, but my wife and I like to drink wine. While I was working, I had the luxury of ordering and drinking very expensive ($500+) bottles of wine. Sometimes I thought they were great, sometimes I thought they sucked. When we go out now, we ask for the sommelier and that is wonderful. What we figured out is that a very expensive bottle of wine can taste like crap if paired wrong. And an affordable (<$50) bottle of wine can be amazing when paired correctly. So now we need to figure out how to learn pairing. So that's my input to this thread: learn what wine goes with what you are eating. And learn what you like to drink by itself. Will save you a lot of money.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

tripu11 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:04 pm Wine enthusiast here, although I primarily collect old-world wines like barolo, champagne, sauternes, etc. My journey in wine began by picking a region and a wine I liked, albeit on in which knew very little about (barolo), and exclusively drank that wine and wines from that region for two years, learning everything I could about the different producers and the difference expressions of nebbiolo. It gave me a focused goal in respect of a pretty broad topic. I learned a ton along the way about other regions by osmosis. Once I felt I had a firm grasp on that region, I knew enough about other regions that I could more knowledgeably pick the next region I wanted to explore (for me, champagne). I've since built up a cellar of close to 700 bottles over the last 7 or so years. Extremely enjoyable hobby.
A kindred spirit, kudos. I aspire to be you, the largest I ever got was a cabinet with 70. I just couldn't stop drinking them :oops:
OP: I got started with a simple "to do" list from Food & Wine, then graduated to Wine Spectator.
Find your palate along the way, while exploring new things.
A good strategy is when buying a case (often discounts apply), make it a mix and match of things you like and new things to try.
Buy 2 of a vintage, drink one early in the drinking window, cellar one and drink later. You will appreciate the evolution.
I keep my purchases < $15 and find plenty to like in that range.
Washington whites, Oregon reds, California (NON Chards and Cabs) Petite Sirah, Zins, Argentine Malbecs and Torrontes, Portuguese dry reds, Kiwi Sauv Blancs.
Just the beginning of a wonderful world. :beer
tripu11

Post by tripu11 »

tenkuky wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:19 pm
A kindred spirit, kudos. I aspire to be you, the largest I ever got was a cabinet with 70. I just couldn't stop drinking them :oops:
Off-site storage helps! Makes it hard to get at them while they sleep!
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

I looked up sommeliers and found a wine course you could take. You could try that, or you could do it yourself and think you are doing well, and not. You could spend money and years on wine on your own and come away thinking you know wine and are way off base. Then again, it is not hard to pretend to be knowledgeable in wine as most people are not even close. If you learn the terminology, who is to say that your raspberries, tobacco, and oak are any different than my smoke and leather with an earth finish are correct?
Enjoy your wine, as it is a good part about the ambiance of the particular situation as much as the flavors.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Shallowpockets wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:25 pm I looked up sommeliers and found a wine course you could take. You could try that, or you could do it yourself and think you are doing well, and not. You could spend money and years on wine on your own and come away thinking you know wine and are way off base. Then again, it is not hard to pretend to be knowledgeable in wine as most people are not even close. If you learn the terminology, who is to say that your raspberries, tobacco, and oak are any different than my smoke and leather with an earth finish are correct?
Enjoy your wine, as it is a good part about the ambiance of the particular situation as much as the flavors.
Don't forget your handy-dandy flavor/aroma wheel during analysis
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

I discovered a fabulous wine shop when visiting my sister in NJ:

https://www.princetoncorkscrew.com/

We almost exclusively buy their case wine samplers (under "gifts" on the menu) and every wine we tried for the past 5 years or so has been delicious or unique, and often both. Prices are very reasonable and they ship nationwide I believe. They also have more expensive "cellar samplers" if that is your taste.

Before this discovery, wine from our local state store (in PA) was always hit or miss no matter the price point. We found reviews from all the wine magazines pretty much useless. Wines from Princeton Corkscrew have already been vetted by Laurent, the owner. He has visited just about every winery from which he offers wines, and has never disappointed us with one of his recommendations.
dbr

Post by dbr »

So my naive question is how does a wine shopper have assurance that he has avoided a bad wine to buy? Avoiding a bad choice is far more important than assuring that one has scored 120 instead of 118 (on some imaginary scale that tops out at 120). Hopefully we are not going to say just be sure to spend more than x$ a bottle.

Its already ok that people have different tastes in wine by variety, etc., but we assume we already know what that is.

An example is that I don't like champagne at all. I once bought a pricey bottle of what anyone would say was a very high quality champagne just to figure it out and sure enough I didn't like it at all, not even close. It didn't seem different from any other hack champagne that people serve. When people feature champagne at an event I just don't drink at all or choose ginger ale.

Also, by way of comparison I definitely have sensitivity and preference among single malts, so the idea does compute. Wine is all the same to me, within a variety with an occasional exception that somehow seems really good. It is also true all the single malt I would ever buy is not cheap. My wife, of course, would not in a million years even sniff a whiskey.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

I'd love to drink red wine more regularly, but since I only would be drinking a glass a day, I hesitate opening bottles since the wine goes bad before I finish the bottle.

Any suggestions for how to keep wine fresh for 3-4 days? I've haven't had much luck with Vacu-vin, etc. Anyone use nitrogen devices?
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
dbr

Post by dbr »

PS We have a local liquor store that in my experience does not sell anything that is "bad." Probably by buying at that store one would avoid anything that is bad. The issue then comes down to preference, but that is each person's look out.

But, again back to single malts, I know what I want and what I don't, but I can't figure that out for wine. They have about ten or fifteen aisle feet of whiskey but maybe ten times that many aisle feet of wines, which makes the choosing impossible. They also have a huge variety in craft and commercial beers with lots of imports as well. I know what I like in beer. Maybe single malt is like already knowing you want pinot noir and nothing else. How long does it take to figure out what you want in wine? <--- serious question!

One habit I do have when approaching the check out is to never let a bottle of single malt get within six feet of a bottle of wine. At the store whiskey shelving is buffered by spirits such as vodka, gin, and so on so contamination via "grape fumes" is prevented.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

1. Subscribe to the Wine Spectator.
2. Put the Vivino app on your phone. Use it for every wine you drink. I track my wines and I really don't let the ratings influence what I buy.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
tripu11

Post by tripu11 »

Consider using the Cellar Tracker App instead.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

I'm a big fan of /r/wine on Reddit. Most of the folks are pretty nice and I've learned a lot over there.

At the moment, our "cellar" has about 150 bottles. Most are $40 and under. I've been drinking wine for decades, but really got into it again around the start of the pandemic.

Currently, I'm into:
Pinot Noir - Sta. Rita Hills and Willamette Valley especially
Syrah and Rhone Wines in general
Ridge blends (especially Lytton Springs) - otherwise not a big Zin fan
Sparkling wines/Champagne, including pet nats
Crisp acidic whites - Albarino, Txakoli, Broadbent Vinho Verde, Gruner Veltliner, etc.
Occasionally an orange wine
Dry, mineralic rose in summer

Also getting into some Italian reds like Brunello and Barbaresco (Barolo usually gets too expensive)

I'd like to explore more:
Cru Beaujolais
Loire Reds and Whites
Trentino-Alto Adige

Not into:
Most Napa Cabs
Overly oaky/buttery Chardonnay

:beer
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

calmaniac wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:02 pm I'd love to drink red wine more regularly, but since I only would be drinking a glass a day, I hesitate opening bottles since the wine goes bad before I finish the bottle.

Any suggestions for how to keep wine fresh for 3-4 days? I've haven't had much luck with Vacu-vin, etc. Anyone use nitrogen devices?
Box wine. Hear me out.

There are actually some pretty good box wines out there, but you probably won't find them in a grocery store or even most wine shops. However, I'm lucky enough to have a great shop locally that focuses on small producers and has a nice selection of French and Italian boxed wines that are very nice for weekday drinking. Once opened they keep for around a month. Good ones are worth seeking out.
FoolishJumper

Post by FoolishJumper »

calmaniac wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:02 pm Any suggestions for how to keep wine fresh for 3-4 days? I've haven't had much luck with Vacu-vin, etc. Anyone use nitrogen devices?
And here I was going to suggest a vacu-vin, as DW and I have had good luck with it and can easily go three days from opening to finish consuming with little issue. You can get a coravin (what many of the nicer wineries in Napa/Sonoma that my DW and I have visited use for the bottles that they don't normally offer in their tasting rooms), but the cost can end up running $1-5 per bottle for the argon capsule cost (plus the up front cost of $100+ for the coravin device). I have trouble with that when I'm talking about a nice bottle that I paid sub-$30 for (I also always guesstimated it was twice that cost before I did research just now), but DW and I have some special bottles that approach and exceed $100 retail cost, so we should probably suck it up and just buy a coravin.

My wife and I are members at two wineries in California - we know they aren't the best price for a nice Napa Pinot Noir (for example), but we also enjoy the experience in going to the wine tasting room when we visit Napa/Sonoma once a year, and we know the staff of them quite well and it's worth the cost of two overpriced cases once per year for us.

I'm also a huge fan of getting great wine and great prices (even if I haven't previously tried it and am trusting online reviews to figure what will be a good fit for our palates). Wine Woot used to be a good source with very knowledgeable members who could speak to offerings, which Casemates has replaced Wine Woot. But my happiest find over the past few years has been de Negoce, which gets great wines at great prices without knowing the specific source of the wine/grapes (sort of the hotwire.com of wine). I've gotten about 5 cases from them over the past 20 months or so (plus four cases I've bought for others as gifts), and we've been extremely happy with every one of them, and prices are much better than I can get, even at someplace like Costco - ranging from $10-20 per bottle for wine that retails at 3-10 times those prices.

I'll also agree to the comment to get Cellar Tracker (for anyone with more than about 20 bottles of wine) - DW and I started out with Vivino that left a good bit to be desired, and Cellar Tracker has been a godsend - our wine is currently spread over multiple storage locations, but it's definitely helpful when we have a 150-200 bottle collection with purchase dates spanning the past seven years or so...
Startled Cat

Post by Startled Cat »

I got more serious about wine during the pandemic. Currently have about 80 bottles in my cellar. It's been really interesting to explore wines I haven't tried before and learn what I like and don't like.

I use the Vivino app to keep track of my ratings and inventory. It's also useful to get a sense of overall consensus on the quality of a wine (of course, I don't always agree with the aggregate ratings, but it's a good filter to select new purchases).

I've found Costco, Total Wine, and K&L (local to California) to be some of the best places to shop, especially in terms of value for money. I used to have a wine.com Stewardship subscription, but I let it lapse. I found wine.com overpriced, and had to use promotions aggressively for it to be price-competitive. They also didn't seem to keep most wines in stock for very long.

A few of my favorites: Tuscan reds (Brunello can be amazing, but I also enjoy some lower-end Toscanas a lot), Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, Portuguese reds (particularly Dao), NZ Sauvignon Blanc (Nautilus is my favorite), German Rheingau trocken (very dry) Riesling.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

alpenglow wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:40 pm I'd like to explore more:
Cru Beaujolais
I love Cru Beaujolais and good gamay in general. Recently enjoyed a couple different Cote Roannaise gamays from Domaine Robert Serol.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Startled Cat wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:50 pm

A few of my favorites: Tuscan reds (Brunello can be amazing, but I also enjoy some lower-end Toscanas a lot), Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, Portuguese reds (particularly Dao), NZ Sauvignon Blanc (Nautilus is my favorite), German Rheingau trocken (very dry) Riesling.
That does it, you are now my wine buddy. I love Portuguese Dao, and dry Rieslings are so food friendly. Chilean SBs are not bad for their price range and yes to the lower end Tuscans and Neros.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

caffeperfavore wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:44 pm
calmaniac wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:02 pm I'd love to drink red wine more regularly, but since I only would be drinking a glass a day, I hesitate opening bottles since the wine goes bad before I finish the bottle.
Box wine. Hear me out.
I was just about to post the same thing. Heck, I'd say that even some the mass-market boxes you find at the grocery store are plenty good enough for a daily drink, especially for the price.

Avoid the old 5-liter ones that gave "boxed wine" a bad reputation back in the '80s (Franzia, etc.). Go for the "modern" 3-liter boxes from Black Box, Bota, etc. I think you can get Bota in 1.5-liter mini-boxes, which might even work better if you're just having a class a day.

These are basically equivalent quality to wine that, if in a bottle, would sell for about $8-$10, or about the same as Bogle. (Heck, in some cases like Big House and Barefoot, the wines first became popular in bottle first before the winery eventually decided to start selling them in boxes too!) Buying 3 liters for, say $20, works out to $5 a bottle, or about $1 per 5-oz. pour... and it won't go bad before you finish it.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

tenkuky wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:03 pm
Startled Cat wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:50 pm

That does it, you are now my wine buddy. I love Portuguese Dao, and dry Rieslings are so food friendly. Chilean SBs are not bad for their price range and yes to the lower end Tuscans and Neros.
How could I forget dry Riesling? Big fan of both German and Finger Lakes Rieslings.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

caffeperfavore wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:53 pm
alpenglow wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:40 pm I'd like to explore more:
Cru Beaujolais
I love Cru Beaujolais and good gamay in general. Recently enjoyed a couple different Cote Roannaise gamays from Domaine Robert Serol.
Thanks for the rec.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

tripu11 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:38 pm Consider using the Cellar Tracker App instead.
I agree. There are lots of wines that I think are pretty terrible that are rated well on Vivino.
tripu11

Post by tripu11 »

alpenglow wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:00 pm
tripu11 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:38 pm Consider using the Cellar Tracker App instead.
I agree. There are lots of wines that I think are pretty terrible that are rated well on Vivino.
And importantly, you don't have to actually have a cellar to use the Cellar Tracker App - it is an excellent source of reviews and, if you donate, a great source of pricing information.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

caffeperfavore wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:44 pm

Box wine. Hear me out.

There are actually some pretty good box wines out there, but you probably won't find them in a grocery store or even most wine shops. However, I'm lucky enough to have a great shop locally that focuses on small producers and has a nice selection of French and Italian boxed wines that are very nice for weekday drinking. Once opened they keep for around a month. Good ones are worth seeking out.
Any specific boxes you'd recommend? I've been looking an acceptable box wine for a long time.
dbr

Post by dbr »

In what sense are the wines terrible. I am genuinely curious what makes for a terrible wine!
tripu11

Post by tripu11 »

Having a 2014 EMH Black Cat Cabernet tonight in honor of this thread...
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Doesn't that one have a membership fee? Vivino is free.
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

I once read a wine review article doing blind taste tastes of modern box wines (the smaller boxes from smaller producers that have become fashionable). The reviewers discovered that their favorites were all boxes with expiration dates farther in the future, or recent made on dates, whichever. So I suppose the plastic bags the wine is stored in let air in and out I suppose eventually oxidizing the wine. So when choosing a boxed wine, look at the expiration or made on dates or whatever. And buy from a store with good turnover.
tripu11

Post by tripu11 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:52 pm
Cellar Tracker is free. If you make an optional donation, you can get additional average pricing data.
Topic Author
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

SmileyFace wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:12 pm
khangaroo wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:31 am We’ve become wine club members at 2 places
What wine clubs are you memebers of?
We are members of two local wineries, Saffron Fields and Montinore Estate in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. They have 2-3 releases each year and we signed for the 6 bottle membership. We signed up for Saffron Fields from a friend's recommendation when we were first starting out and really loved their estate and tasting room. I found Montinore Estate after googling for environmentally friendly wineries in Oregon and this was one of the top ones. After hearing about their growing practices and tasting the wine, I was hooked.

I think my favorite part of being a member is the free tastings (unlimited) for up to 4 people. We've used it for random sunny weekends when we just want to relax or taking out our friends during the summer. They have member's only seating so it helps with trying to get in unplanned during the crazy summer months.

I was considering joining an online wine club but I feel like I still have so many great wineries to explore here in Oregon that I haven't explored outside too much. All I know is that I don't like California Syrah's and Chardonnay's lol but I LOVE Oregon Chardonnay's.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

dbr wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:19 pm
In what sense are the wines terrible. I am genuinely curious what makes for a terrible wine!
Well, for one, if it's corked
https://www.eater.com/2016/6/1/11824138 ... -sommelier
For another, if it's oxidized
https://www.decanter.com/learn/what-is- ... er-451840/

Those can happen to any wine, reduced (but not eliminated) by good storage.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

I'm in NJ so might not get a lot of the smaller run batches from CA, OR or WA here

A few we've liked
Reds
Hartford Court Russian River Pinot Noir
Hartford Court Lands Edge Pinot Noir
Hess Collection Lion Tamer Red Blend
Stags Leap Petite Sirah (a personal favorite)
Georgrafico La Pevera Toscana
El Enemigo Malbec
Alto Moncayo Garnacha

Whites
For us, CA Sauvignon Blancs are too sweet
Here are 2 drier ones from Sancerre
Both are excellent
Lauverjat Karine Sancerre Blanc
Gérard Boulay Sancerre à Chavignol Blanc
Last edited by GG1273 on Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

My wine wisdom, if you can call it that, is as follows:

Research unknown wines before buying. In some cases that means talking to the wine salesperson at the wine shop. In other cases it means looking up the wine online. One site I have found to be very reliable is winemag.com (from Wine Enthusiast).

Buy a decanter and use it for any red wine over $15. It's easy.

Buy some stemless red and stemless white wine glasses. They go into the dishwasher without breakage. Ignore the BS about stemless wine glasses causing the warmth from your hand to warm the wine. That only applies to cocktail parties where you are holding the glass the entire time. At home you only touch the glass when you pick it up from the table to take a sip.

If you prefer "old world" wines to "new world" wines, get your reds from France, Spain, and Italy. Get your whites from France.

If you like cabernet sauvignon, buy wines from the Maipo Valley of Chile.
Last edited by UpperNwGuy on Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

tripu11 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:59 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:52 pm
Cellar Tracker is free. If you make an optional donation, you can get additional average pricing data.
It has hidden reviews that it won't let me view because I am not a member.
tripu11

Post by tripu11 »

The professional reviews are not available even to members who donate to Cellar Tracker. You have to be a subscriber to the critic's publication to access those.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

SmileyFace wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:12 pm
What wine clubs are you memebers of? I have been in WSJWines and have heard of several others (Winc, Martha Stewart, etc) - would love to hear your experience.
I don't collect - I drink :) and my taste is happy with $15 or so bottles. I like lots of reds (various california, italian, french, australian, argentenian, etc. - enjoy variety but find I typically can't go wrong with Napa Valley).
Also like Ports - have settled on 10 year Taylor Fladgate as my primary go to (good taste for the price point).
What is your opinion of WSJ wines? I’ve seen plenty of advertisements but am curious if they are worthy of trying.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

I’m a big fan of bottles priced under $8 at Trader Joe’s.

A current favorite is a Peach Moscato called “Love, Olivia,” going for $3.99, I think. Maybe $2.99. Tastes like summer in the middle of winter.

I’ve never paid more than $10 or so for wine. I’ve drank $10+ wine, but never paid for it myself. Between the higher priced stuff and the stuff I buy, my plebeian taste buds can’t tell much of a difference and certainly can’t appreciate any.
Most experiences are better imagined.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Random Poster wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:32 pm I’m a big fan of bottles priced under $8 at Trader Joe’s.

I’ve never paid more than $10 or so for wine. I’ve drank $10+ wine, but never paid for it myself. Between the higher priced stuff and the stuff I buy, my plebeian taste buds can’t tell much of a difference and certainly can’t appreciate any.
I'm like you, keep it under $10. Though I will enjoy high priced when someone else is footing the bill :twisted:
Years ago, a friend took me down to his cellar and opened an Amarone. It was wonderful.
His wife told me "you need to talk to him, he just spent $140K on wine at auction".
I tried not to do a double-take and took another sip!
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

tenkuky wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:48 pm
Random Poster wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:32 pm I’m a big fan of bottles priced under $8 at Trader Joe’s.

I'm like you, keep it under $10. Though I will enjoy high priced when someone else is footing the bill :twisted:
Years ago, a friend took me down to his cellar and opened an Amarone. It was wonderful.
His wife told me "you need to talk to him, he just spent $140K on wine at auction".
I tried not to do a double-take and took another sip!
I'm a big fan of Broadbent Vinho Verde - probably my favorite wine under $10. It is light and bright, with the slightest bubble. Lower alcohol is nice too. $6.99 or so. Great summer wine.
blixet

Post by blixet »

Wine is a highly social beverage. It really depends on your company and your meal. Living in CA gives me some opportunities to visit vineyards that don't make the shelves anywhere. Really into old vine zins. Like wine from 100 yr+ vines from the gold rush, turn of the century vineyards. Hard to understand the appeal until you find wine from a vine that has roots 80' down.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

I apologize for replying without reading the full thread carefully. We enjoy a glass or two of wine several nights a week, generally bottles that are <$15. I’ve been a member of Nakedwines.com for 2 years now and really enjoy the wines there. The algorithm they use works well for me, all of their suggestions have been great, so much so that I’ve signed up for their “Wine Genie” where they select the wines to send to me on the schedule I determine (we are getting 9 bottles every 6 weeks.) And if you get a bottle you really don’t like, they will reimburse you no questions asked. I’ve only done that once. I highly recommend Nakedwines.com.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:13 pm
What is your opinion of WSJ wines? I’ve seen plenty of advertisements but am curious if they are worthy of trying.
I like it in that it has gotten me to try some wines I would never have chosen at my local wine shop nor at my local wine superstore. Quality is decent for the price and you can rate what they send you as you try them so they tailor the next case to your tastes. They are marketing extra purchases and upgrades (they start you in a "discovery" club then offer to upgrade you to more premium selections) but these are easy to ignore unless you want to take advantage of some discounted selections. Worth a try - you can always cancel after the first heavily discounted starter case.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:13 pmWhat is your opinion of WSJ wines? I’ve seen plenty of advertisements but am curious if they are worthy of trying.
Despise
I took the starter deal and then cancelled. Or thought I did. (The wines were mediocre)
They attempted to charge my single use burner card for the next year.
Finally got them to send me an email saying “cancelled”.
Last week, got an offer email.

Lettie Teague, WSJ Wine Columnist, wrote about wine clubs - https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-fin ... 1639076030
" (The Wall Street Journal’s business operations run a wine club, WSJwine, but it’s not connected to the news department or to me, and I did not sample it for this column.)"
Many of the comments were about the WSJ Wine Club and how crappy it is.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
mkc

Post by mkc »

We've run the gamut up and back. Started small, then had climate controlled wine rooms (closet-sized "cellars") in 2 houses we built. Nothing like dealing with a failed in-wall chiller in the heat of the summer. Two times. We used to be on a number of winery mailing lists. Now we are down to 2 lists for wines we can't buy retail. We learned we found greater pleasure in finding lower cost gems over anointed names (especially after some of the previously sanely priced wineries let high ratings go to their heads). Kind of a treasure hunt.

If you have a Total Wine in your area, look at their Winery Direct offerings. There's something for everyone and we have found some new favorites there.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

There are some pretty good higher-end wines in boxes now. (I hesitate to call them boxed wines because they aren't the normal gross stuff you'd find in boxes a few years ago). Boxed wine is great when you want to have a glass every once in a while; it doesn't go bad like bottled wine does after a day.