[Using PayPal to pay bills and earn 5% on credit cards]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
JackoC

Re: [Using PayPal to pay bills and earn 5% on Chase credit cards]

Post by JackoC »

jeffyscott wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:55 am
JackoC wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:49 amInteresting, there's always something I'd never heard of. :happy

In the past I never paid attention to the PayPal category with Chase and Discover, as I did not use it. Has Chase generally repeated the PayPal category in the Oct-Dec quarter?
Here's a history since 2014 of Chase Freedom 5% categories. Paypal was Q4 with Walmart in 2020-2021, Q4 with department stores in 2019, Q2 with supermarkets in 2018. We spend >$1.5k/qtr at supermarkets so PayPal/supermarket is just supermarket. Walmart wouldn't be such a huge chain unless lots of people shopped there a lot, but we rarely do so PaypPal/Walmart is PayPal for us. PayPal/Dept store in Q4 is something we might split, as IIRC we did in 2019 (though that was before we discovered PayPal Bill Pay).
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/cred ... le%20clubs
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

JackoC wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:29 am
jeffyscott wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:55 am
JackoC wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:49 amInteresting, there's always something I'd never heard of. :happy

In the past I never paid attention to the PayPal category with Chase and Discover, as I did not use it. Has Chase generally repeated the PayPal category in the Oct-Dec quarter?
Here's a history since 2014 of Chase Freedom 5% categories. Paypal was Q4 with Walmart in 2020-2021, Q4 with department stores in 2019, Q2 with supermarkets in 2018. We spend >$1.5k/qtr at supermarkets so PayPal/supermarket is just supermarket. Walmart wouldn't be such a huge chain unless lots of people shopped there a lot, but we rarely do so PaypPal/Walmart is PayPal for us. PayPal/Dept store in Q4 is something we might split, as IIRC we did in 2019 (though that was before we discovered PayPal Bill Pay).
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/cred ... le%20clubs
Thanks for that, it'll determine whether or not I get 5% or 2% (or possibly 2.65%, if I have gotten in on the PR game by then) on property tax payment, our biggest bill of the year. Whatever it is, it'll better than the 0% that I have been getting.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

JackoC wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:49 am... Here it seems though we'd want sort of the opposite treatment from US Bank, that we'd get around a utility's CC convenience fee by paying via PayPal Bill Pay but have it show up for rewards purposes as the utility not PayPal. ...
I think vendor charges through PayPal may post using the vendor's merchant category code. If I recall correctly, I've had some restaurant charges paid through PayPal post as restaurant charges. If your credit card reward is for use of PayPal, the category of the vendor is irrelevant.
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

It appears that the utility category came through when using PayPal bill pay with the US Bank Cash+ card. :dollar

I paid a small amount on my gas/electric bill, my water/sewer bill, and also a property tax. By my calculation the total rebate amount that I am being credited with is based on getting 5% on the gas/electric and water/sewer, plus 1% on the property tax. I had left a small property tax payment as a test, since it goes through the same payment system as the water/sewer, I thought maybe they would not be able to distinguish between the two.

The gas/electric lists the merchant category as "Utilities" and list the utility company website below that. The other two have the category listed as "Transfer", with the paypal website listed below that.

I edited the discussion title in the first post to remove the reference to Chase, since 5% is apparently available from US Bank (as well as Discover at times).
Collectingnuts

Re: [Using PayPal to pay bills and earn 5% on credit cards]

Post by Collectingnuts »

I was hoping to pay my real-estate taxes with Paypal as it is an option offered. Unfortunately the service fee was 3% which totally mitigates the benefit from my Preferred reward or Cash reward card.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Collectingnuts wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:39 am I was hoping to pay my real-estate taxes with Paypal as it is an option offered. Unfortunately the service fee was 3% which totally mitigates the benefit from my Preferred reward or Cash reward card.
Not if you have Platinum Honors and it gets coded as online.

In my experience, not all bills paid through Paypal are recorded as online for the purposes of getting a 3% bonus. That's why I got a UCR card (unlimited 1.5% * 1.75 PH) but that won't overcome a 3% service fee. If you're willing to jump through hoops, you can buy Simon Visa gift cards online ($5 per $1000 maximum face value card) and use those as debit cards.

There are additional hoops in that process. To meet anti-money laundering regs, your initial purchase must be in-person at a mall to be able to buy $1000 cards. If you don't have a Simon mall nearby, that's not an option.

After establishing your identity, you can buy $1000 cards. Without doing so you're limited to, I think, $300. Since the service charge is flat rate per card, that eats the bonus, requires multiple transactions and, if used to pay IRS estimated taxes, may exceed a limit on the number of transactions imposed by the processors.
Collectingnuts

Post by Collectingnuts »

The service Fee was charged at the town payment site from the get go.The same charge for credit card or PayPal. Only electronic Fund Transfer was no charge.
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Collectingnuts wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:39 amI was hoping to pay my real-estate taxes with Paypal as it is an option offered. Unfortunately the service fee was 3% which totally mitigates the benefit from my Preferred reward or Cash reward card.
It sounds like you are going to the property tax site to pay :?: , but this discussion is about paying via paypal bill pay using the paypal website, not paying directly. My taxes as well as water/sewer would also charge 3% to pay by credit card at their site, but when paid via paypal bill pay, there was no credit card fee at all.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

Collectingnuts wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:11 am The service Fee was charged at the town payment site from the get go.The same charge for credit card or PayPal. Only electronic Fund Transfer was no charge.
But that's using a Paypal button on the town payment site, not using Paypal bill-pay, right?
Collectingnuts

Post by Collectingnuts »

Yes you are correct and somehow I thought it was the same. I missed the difference somehow. I still have time to try it
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jeffyscott wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:05 am It appears that the utility category came through when using PayPal bill pay with the US Bank Cash+ card. :dollar

I paid a small amount on my gas/electric bill, my water/sewer bill, and also a property tax. By my calculation the total rebate amount that I am being credited with is based on getting 5% on the gas/electric and water/sewer, plus 1% on the property tax. I had left a small property tax payment as a test, since it goes through the same payment system as the water/sewer, I thought maybe they would not be able to distinguish between the two.

The gas/electric lists the merchant category as "Utilities" and list the utility company website below that. The other two have the category listed as "Transfer", with the paypal website listed below that.

I edited the discussion title in the first post to remove the reference to Chase, since 5% is apparently available from US Bank (as well as Discover at times).
So the US Bank Cash+ card using PayPal bill pay does properly code it as Utilities? It was just the tax bill that coded as "Transfer"?
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:35 amSo the US Bank Cash+ card using PayPal bill pay does properly code it as Utilities?
Yes, both utility bills worked.
It was just the tax bill that coded as "Transfer"?
The water/sewer had "transfer" listed as the category too, but still got the 5%.

The charges on my bill are $68 to gas electric, $7.51 to water sewer, and $31.94 to property tax and rebate is showing as $4.09, if you want to check the math.
Collectingnuts

Post by Collectingnuts »

I just tried the paypal site and I can find an option to add a payee similar to other online billpay services just search for companies?
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Collectingnuts wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:46 am I just tried the paypal site and I can find an option to add a payee similar to other online billpay services just search for companies?
Yes assuming you are on the bill pay part of the paypal site, also I added a link to the first post in this discussion that goes back to where it actually began, in case that might be helpful for you or others that are new to the topic.

The page should look like this:

Collectingnuts

Post by Collectingnuts »

jeffyscott wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:50 am
Collectingnuts wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:46 am I just tried the paypal site and I can find an option to add a payee similar to other online billpay services just search for companies?
Yes assuming you are on the bill pay part of the paypal site, also I added a link to the first post in this discussion that goes back to where it actually began, in case that might be helpful for you or others that are new to the topic.

Yes thanks for the reply that is what I am using. I've tried multiple ways to find my Town and have been unsuccessful. Maybe mine does not accept PayPal
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

When logged into Paypal, this is the URL for paying bills: https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/paymen ... your_bills
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Collectingnuts wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:58 am
jeffyscott wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:50 am

Yes thanks for the reply that is what I am using. I've tried multiple ways to find my Town and have been unsuccessful. Maybe mine does not accept PayPal
Yeah, they may not. I was surprised that my tiny village showed up there with two listings, the second one wasn't clear what it was, just had the name of the village, but my property tax account number was accepted.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jeffyscott wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:40 am
anon_investor wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:35 amSo the US Bank Cash+ card using PayPal bill pay does properly code it as Utilities?
The water/sewer had "transfer" listed as the category too, but still got the 5%.

The charges on my bill are $68 to gas electric, $7.51 to water sewer, and $31.94 to property tax and rebate is showing as $4.09, if you want to check the math.
The math checks out, 5% for the utility bills and 1% for the tax bill. This makes the US Bank Cash+ card tempting, although I have WAY too many CCs. I did recommend it to my sibling, who just got it.
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:46 am
jeffyscott wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:40 am

The math checks out, 5% for the utility bills and 1% for the tax bill. This makes the US Bank Cash+ card tempting, although I have WAY too many CCs. I did recommend it to my sibling, who just got it.
The pay ahead option can still get 5% using discover or chase, the only issue with that is the timing is not always known. I'll be paying ahead in March anyway, as I want to reserve the US Bank card for a furniture payment in the second or third quarter.

Being always able to get 5% on these two bills will probably amount to about $150 per year for me. But even without the US Bank card, I would likely be able to get 5% most of the time by paying ahead and then 2% otherwise. So the net is probably only $30 or so, as long as chase and/or discover have PayPal as a category each year.

The bigger factor is that I was getting 0 rebates on these bills, until last month.
leland

Post by leland »

TIL that not all utilities take credit cards (w/o fees).

Guess I'm lucky that my utilities take credit cards with no fee. Between that and PayPal Key no need to mess with another bill pay option. But mentally bookmarking for when my utility companies decide to get annoying, or we move.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

leland wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:40 pm TIL that not all utilities take credit cards (w/o fees).

Guess I'm lucky that my utilities take credit cards with no fee. Between that and PayPal Key no need to mess with another bill pay option. But mentally bookmarking for when my utility companies decide to get annoying, or we move.
Some don't even take CCs or debit cards at all, which makes PayPal bill pay even better.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:16 am
leland wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:40 pm TIL that not all utilities take credit cards (w/o fees).

Some don't even take CCs or debit cards at all, which makes PayPal bill pay even better.
... if they accept PayPal bill pay.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

spammagnet wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:33 am
anon_investor wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:16 am

... if they accept PayPal bill pay.
Luckly my utility companies were listed under participating vendors for PayPal bill pay.
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Edit: Ignore the comment below, the author is apparently unable to distinguish eBay from PayPal :oops:

I don't have Chase Freedom Flex, but noticed that it has a different 5% calendar from the regular Chase Freedom. That one has 5% for Ebay this quarter. So that's a 4th option for getting 5% during at least part of the year.
Last edited by jeffyscott on Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

jeffyscott wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:10 am I don't have Chase Freedom Flex, but noticed that it has a different 5% calendar from the regular Chase Freedom. That one has 5% for Ebay this quarter. So that's a 4th option for getting 5% during at least part of the year.
Freedom includes eBay this quarter, it's just not that useful for many of us. They always (up to now at least) use the same quarterly bonuses.
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

ZinCO wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:27 am
jeffyscott wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:10 am I don't have Chase Freedom Flex, but noticed that it has a different 5% calendar from the regular Chase Freedom. That one has 5% for Ebay this quarter. So that's a 4th option for getting 5% during at least part of the year.
Freedom includes eBay this quarter, it's just not that useful for many of us. They always (up to now at least) use the same quarterly bonuses.
:oops:

I'm mixing up Ebay and Paypal...nevermind
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jeffyscott wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:37 am
ZinCO wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:27 am
:oops:

I'm mixing up Ebay and Paypal...nevermind
I plan to downgrade my CSP to CFF next month before the annual fee hits. I have the original CF, so I might be able to get $3k worth of PayPal 5% cash back in Q4 if they do it again.

I have to Discover Card too, so that is potentially $4.5k of PayPal 5% cash back.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Interesting. My Chase Freedom Flex and my two regular/old Freedom's all have Grocery Stores (except Walmart/Target) and eBay as the 5% for this quarter. What categories are you seeing?
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:48 am
Interesting. My Chase Freedom Flex and my two regular/old Freedom's all have Grocery Stores (except Walmart/Target) and eBay as the 5% for this quarter. What categories are you seeing?
Yes, I was mistaken the categories are the same. I read "eBay" but was thinking "PayPal".
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

jeffyscott wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:53 am
BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:48 am
Yes, I was mistaken the categories are the same. I read "eBay" but was thinking "PayPal".
Ahh. Darn! I was hoping I would have more options without any added complexity. They wanted to convert one of my three Freedoms to the Unlimited, and I switched that to the Flex. This way I still get the rotating 5% and I can use it for prescription purchases.
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

When I check the PayPal categories under credit cards, one of them is US Bank credit card...
:idea: Can we then charge utility bills with USBank, collect 5% cash and then pay the credit card bill with B of A cash rewards credit cad using the online category and PayPal, collecting another 5.25%?...say yes, pretty please :D

Did you just call that double dipping?... :annoyed

ha ha :beer
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

So I can confirm this works for my local property tax jurisdiction. I was nervous because of the size of the payment and the lack of information on the Paypal side ("XXX County Treasurer"; how do I know that's for XXX County in MY state???). I only had to provide a property ID number (like an account number) and today it posted, 4 days after charging my card. It was a $4500 payment with no fee, avoiding the 2.8% the county would have charged me directly. Given that Paypal is having to eat the swipe fee here, I doubt this will go on much longer.

(For those wondering if this reply is really in the spirit of the thread title, I DID in fact earn 5%, due to having a +4x referral bonus on my Amex Platinum when I did this. Earned 22500 MR with this transaction, although I would have gotten the same paying direct, albeit with an additional 2.8%, or $128, fee.)
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

ZinCO wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:20 am(For those wondering if this reply is really in the spirit of the thread title, I DID in fact earn 5%, due to having a +4x referral bonus on my Amex Platinum when I did this. Earned 22500 MR with this transaction, although I would have gotten the same paying direct, albeit with an additional 2.8%, or $128, fee.)
The title is not the best, I changed it once from what the moderator had created when it was moved. After I realized that I could change it, I eliminated the reference to Chase. It's really just about avoiding credit card fees and earning any kind of rebate.
I was nervous because of the size of the payment and the lack of information on the Paypal side ("XXX County Treasurer"; how do I know that's for XXX County in MY state???).
Mine, similarly, just said "Village of ______". They have their own online payment system (PSN with 3% transaction fee) that had an account number (which is also the property tax key) and when I entered that it accepted it. But still, I only paid ~$50 first just to be sure it would work and that there was no fee.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

This is a fantastic thread. I've just paid our HOA dues, $1,274 that would ordinarily be right of our checking account -- instead on the Amex so at least we're grabbing MR points for no additional fee. Thanks to all who have shared that this service exists.
arsenal_fan

Post by arsenal_fan »

I used PayPal Bill Pay to pay my Florida Power and Light bill. Let's see how it goes. What's the credit card option in PayPal Bill Pay? I surely can't keep paying credit card bills with a credit card.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

arsenal_fan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:18 pm I used PayPal Bill Pay to pay my Florida Power and Light bill. Let's see how it goes. What's the credit card option in PayPal Bill Pay? I surely can't keep paying credit card bills with a credit card.
You can pay CC bills with PayPal bill pay using a CC as a funding source?
Olly

Post by Olly »

No, it won't let you pay a credit card bill with a credit card.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Olly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:36 pm No, it won't let you pay a credit card bill with a credit card.
Haha, I was about to say. Wish I could pay my Wells Fargo mortgage with a CC. That is the only bill (aside from CC bills) that I can't pay via CC.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Is there a way to tell whether a fee for use will be assessed by the biller other than just trying it or calling ahead and asking them? I'm sure if it's brought to their attention, they won't like it. They normally assess a fee for payment by credit card. I don't know if it's worth the hassle or the risk that they use an alternate funding source for the potential small gain in credit card rewards (in my case).
Topic Author
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

I just paid and then checked afterwards. For me worst case was that I'd still be 2% ahead on the ones that charge 3%, as chase was paying 5% at the time.

No has reported getting charged any fee and there's maybe been about 5 :?: who have tried this and reported their results.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I’ll throw my hat in the ring and say it worked fine for paying my Traveler’s home insurance. Per their website, it showed up as check, though perhaps that is just some programmer using check as a “catch all”. Got 5%’instead of 2.625% on that chunk.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:48 pm Is there a way to tell whether a fee for use will be assessed by the biller other than just trying it or calling ahead and asking them? I'm sure if it's brought to their attention, they won't like it. They normally assess a fee for payment by credit card. I don't know if it's worth the hassle or the risk that they use an alternate funding source for the potential small gain in credit card rewards (in my case).
I used it to pay my water bill and their online system coded it as an ACH transaction.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Thank you. Maybe I'll give it a try!
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

Great thread!

Has anyone tried paying credit card bills like this?
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

xerxes101 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:46 pm Great thread!

Only works with debit cards for the couple I tried. Same for mortgage companies (although I only tried mine).
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ZinCO wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:48 pm

Only works with debit cards for the couple I tried. Same for mortgage companies (although I only tried mine).
If you don't mind me asking, which mortgage company do you have? I have Wells Fargo. I think some banks offer 1% cash back for debit card charges (maybe Discover). Maybe there is a way to use PayPal bill pay to use a debit card to pay my mortgage and get 1% cash back...
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:56 pm
ZinCO wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:48 pm

If you don't mind me asking, which mortgage company do you have? I have Wells Fargo. I think some banks offer 1% cash back for debit card charges (maybe Discover). Maybe there is a way to use PayPal bill pay to use a debit card to pay my mortgage and get 1% cash back...
Dovenmuehle is the servicer I tried it on.
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

Quick question;

Say, if I used PayPal Bill Pay to pay my electric utility. Will it show up as a CC 'purchase'? I don't care about points. I have a 0% APR CC that expires in around ten months. I figure I could use PayPal Bill Pay to pay some utility bills to save up some cash. I already paid my property tax... Wish I had known about this earlier!

Obviously I can't use it if the payments are coded as a CC 'cash advance', where interest is charged on day one, or if there's a convenience fee attached.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

The list of payees is limited. If it works for you, it could be a good thing.
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

Raraculus wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:10 pm Quick question;

Say, if I used PayPal Bill Pay to pay my electric utility. Will it show up as a CC 'purchase'? I don't care about points. I have a 0% APR CC that expires in around ten months. I figure I could use PayPal Bill Pay to pay some utility bills to save up some cash. I already paid my property tax... Wish I had known about this earlier!

Obviously I can't use it if the payments are coded as a CC 'cash advance', where interest is charged on day one, or if there's a convenience fee attached.
I started paying my Utility late last year and twice this year, one as recent as a week ago and all of them have shown up as purchases and not cash advances. Paid term life policies too which couldn’t be paid with a CC directly. All policies were paid without fees and coded as purchases. Getting great rewards on prior ACH payments that I’ve missed out on for years.