Costs of maintaining a ~2000 square foot 3-2 home

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tim1999

Re: Costs of maintaining a ~2000 square foot 3-2 home

Post by tim1999 »

finite_difference wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:07 am
Gundy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:34 am
finite_difference wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:26 pm Toilets every 12 months: $200
wait . . . what?

Holy crap!
Literally.

I would say some part on each toilet that we have breaks down once per year. Either the water pump, handle, chain, gasket, etc. To have a handyman fix it costs about $50-75 each time. If you DIY it is cheaper. Also buying OEM parts costs a little more but seems to be much more reliable. We may have pretty hard water which is tough on these parts.
Same here. I have very hard water. It destroys the rubber gaskets and other rubber parts in the tank. They only last about a year before the toilet starts to "phantom flush", meaning water leaks from the tank into the bowl, which wastes water. I'm not handy at all, so this is something I pay my handyman to fix on a visit when he is already here to do other stuff. If I broke out the actual portion of labor and parts to do the toilet work when he is already here, it's less than $100 per year for all 3 toilets.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (home maintenance costs).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Our house came with 5 wall-mount toilets. Most of the 11 years we have been here, the cost is zero. But when something goes wrong, it's a big problem. I had one replaced with a regular toilet a few weeks ago because it was leaking inside the bowl, and parts were no longer available for it due to the pandemic. Lots of drywall work and plumbing work. Electrical also, as I added a 15A amp circuit for a bidet seat. It was thousands of dollars of work.

The 4 other toilets are in locations that are a bit tight to be replaced with regular units. One of them is in a half bathroom with hardwood, and would need the floor changed to tile to convert it to regular type.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

jharkin wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:02 pm
I would say some part on each toilet that we have breaks down once per year. Either the water pump, handle, chain, gasket, etc. To have a handyman fix it costs about $50-75 each time.
Not picking on you but this is a perfect example of how many folks overpay and overmaintain.

A toilet tank repair kit only costs about $15-20.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster ... /206478491

90% of it installs without even using tools. I have literally taught my 10 year old how to replace one in about 15 minutes. Close to 30 years of living on my own in various apartments and a couple of houses Ive owned I have had to do this job maybe 3 times. If its annual something is really wrong....
Of course I have to again be the lone dissenting voice regarding the ease of another d-i-y project.

It happens that in the last week I've installed two Fluidmaster repair kits in two different design toilets. And this was due to actual operational problems, not a desire to "overmaintain." The first step in the process is determining which of the 5,739 repair kits Fluidmaster makes is the best one for your application - assuming they make one compatible with your toilet. The OP almost surely would need one of the "everything" kits, not the "complete" kit mentioned, because contrary to popular opinion, not everyone has a pair of 16+ inch pliers or similar tool sitting around the house. Seriously, that nut connecting the flapper valve assembly to the tank is not exactly a common size. Next, although we all know that all Boglehead 10-year-olds work out by bench pressing the family Corolla, less physically adept people may actually injure themselves bending over the bowl to remove the toilet tank. And then there's the shut-off valve. Especially if this is only an occasional task, those valves tend to corrode/freeze/leak with lack of use, and... make sure you know where that whole-house shut-off is before starting. Oh, and don't forget that you need a saw (okay, maybe a serrated kitchen knife?) to cut off the overflow pipe, if you buy one of the kits without one of the color-coded adjustable overflow pipes. Having only done this job a dozen times or so, of course on one of the two toilets I measured twice and cut once wrong yet again. I keep believing there must be a limit to the number of ways this seemingly trivial job can go wrong, and yet I keep coming up with new ones.
Wings5

Post by Wings5 »

finite_difference wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:26 pm :dollar
psteinx wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:54 pm Better for others to comment on if you use years, not months. I would suggest editing the OP.

You may also want to include general part of the country, general style of the house, nature of the lot, age of the house.

You're not including any:

landscaping (lawn, plants, deck/patio, fence, trees, etc.)
painting
carpeting
roof/water leaks
plumbing
updating (when your spouse wants a new countertop)
furniture & electronics (arguably, not part of the core analysis, but you DID include appliances)
window covering (drapes/blinds)

I would quibble with various of your estimates, but they're not crazy, and some of them would depend on details you don't provide.
+1. Especially painting, which is arguably the most important thing to do.

I’d add to the list:

Paint interior every 240 months: $7,000?
Paint exterior every 240 months: $3,000?
Gutter cleaning every 12 months: $200
Toilets every 12 months: $200

I would say a house costs 2-3% to maintain per year. Does not include landscaping/gardening.

Also don’t forget:
Home insurance: variable
Home property tax: variable
What toilet service is $200/year? Cleaning? Replacing a single commode?
“Spending money to show people how much money you have is the fastest way to have less money.” - Morgan Housel
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Wings5 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:43 pm
finite_difference wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:26 pm :dollar
psteinx wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:54 pm Better for others to comment on if you use years, not months. I would suggest editing the OP.

You may also want to include general part of the country, general style of the house, nature of the lot, age of the house.

You're not including any:

landscaping (lawn, plants, deck/patio, fence, trees, etc.)
painting
carpeting
roof/water leaks
plumbing
updating (when your spouse wants a new countertop)
furniture & electronics (arguably, not part of the core analysis, but you DID include appliances)
window covering (drapes/blinds)

I would quibble with various of your estimates, but they're not crazy, and some of them would depend on details you don't provide.
+1. Especially painting, which is arguably the most important thing to do.

I’d add to the list:

Gutter cleaning every 12 months: $200
Toilets every 12 months: $200

I would say a house costs 2-3% to maintain per year. Does not include landscaping/gardening.

Also don’t forget:
Home insurance: variable
Home property tax: variable
What toilet service is $200/year? Cleaning? Replacing a single commode?
Over the past 2 years I want to say that almost every single part has failed on our 3 toilets. Water pumps (3), handles (2), valve (3), one gasket (took two times to repair since the first one wasn’t right) as well as one wax ring. And if you leave a toilet running it will also give you a nice surprise on your water bill.

Maybe a better estimate is $50/toilet/12 months.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
finite_difference

I would say some part on each toilet that we have breaks down once per year. Either the water pump, handle, chain, gasket, etc. To have a handyman fix it costs about $50-75 each time.
Not picking on you but this is a perfect example of how many folks overpay and overmaintain.

90% of it installs without even using tools. I have literally taught my 10 year old how to replace one in about 15 minutes. Close to 30 years of living on my own in various apartments and a couple of houses Ive owned I have had to do this job maybe 3 times. If its annual something is really wrong....
Those universal kits are the worst. The parts never last more than a year. I also don’t think they really fit our toilets correctly (at least the full kit.)
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

all my friends with big houses tell me they spend 450-550 per month on electricity.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

finite_difference wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:08 pm

Those universal kits are the worst. The parts never last more than a year. I also don’t think they really fit our toilets correctly (at least the full kit.)
I installed this one in two toilets about 10 years ago, and the fill values still work perfectly: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster ... /100393036

But I did have to replace the flapper after 10 years.
finite_difference

cacophony wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:13 pm
finite_difference wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:08 pm

I installed this one in two toilets about 10 years ago, and the fill values still work perfectly: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster ... /100393036

But I did have to replace the flapper after 10 years.
10 years ago they probably made decent parts. I’m also guessing you have soft water. 10 years for a fill valve must be a world record. Maybe an elf is replacing them behind your back.
Derpalator

Post by Derpalator »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:06 am This may take the joy out of owning a home or two. Next let’s (not) do the cost of maintaining a marriage or a boat.
Nor children.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Bogle7 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:10 pm
adamthesmythe wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:47 pmFor what it's worth in 40 years of home ownership I have never attempted a calculation of this sort.
+1
44 years
+2. As another poster suggested, just keep life simple and set aside 1% every year for maintenance. We used a dedicated online savings account for this purpose at Ally. When stuff happens, the money is there. No stress.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

mancich wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:46 am
adamthesmythe wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:47 pmFor what it's worth in 40 years of home ownership I have never attempted a calculation of this sort.
+1
44 years
+2. As another poster suggested, just keep life simple and set aside 1% every year for maintenance. We used a dedicated online savings account for this purpose at Ally. When stuff happens, the money is there. No stress.
I still disagree with this because, just thinking of my $150k (maybe now $160k with inflation) house, it would be in terrible condition if I'd only spent an average of $1500/yr on all the items in the OP's list. Maybe if you do all the work yourself (electrical, plumbing, hvac, roofing, landscaping etc.) and maintain the house meticulously (no damage from leaks etc.), have near-$0 deductible insurance (and don't count the premium surcharge for that), plus get lucky you could get closer than I have, but that doesn't apply to most people.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:20 am
+1
44 years
I still disagree with this because, just thinking of my $150k (maybe now $160k with inflation) house, it would be in terrible condition if I'd only spent an average of $1500/yr on all the items in the OP's list. Maybe if you do all the work yourself (electrical, plumbing, hvac, roofing, landscaping etc.) and maintain the house meticulously (no damage from leaks etc.), have near-$0 deductible insurance (and don't count the premium surcharge for that), plus get lucky you could get closer than I have, but that doesn't apply to most people.
My gut reaction is it would be much closer to 1.5-2.0% pa.

One point. When you say $150k is that excluding the land value?

The replacement cost of a 1000 square foot house would be around $150k ($150-$250k depending on where built in USA)?
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

A lot depends on the owner and the house.

A $1 million two-year old house in Sante Fe with solar, heat-pump, tankless WH, triple-pane aluminum-frame windows and doors, no fireplace, commercial-grade appliances, airport grade carpeting, EPDM roof, xeriscaped, tree-less, no pool, no fence, Hardi-planked or concrete exterior, city sewer and water, level lot in a dry climate, and through the "shake-down" phase could be nearly trouble-free and low cost for 5-10 years easy. Especially if the owner didn't care about maintenance and just waited until things were completely broken to fix.

A $1 million 50+ year old house in Vermont on an unstable cliff with creaky appliances, oil-burning furnace, dozens of cheap single-pane windows, multiple fireplaces, leaky roof, acres of irrigated lawn/trees/bushes, cracked driveway, large leaky pool, jacuzzi, sauna, water well, peeling paint, warped siding, miles of fence, barn, etc could cost a fortune from the get-go and every month if the owner was picky about maintenance issues and replacing nearly worn things (ask me how I know...).
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:37 am
+1
44 years
My gut reaction is it would be much closer to 1.5-2.0% pa.

One point. When you say $150k is that excluding the land value?

The replacement cost of a 1000 square foot house would be around $150k ($150-$250k depending on where built in USA)?
I have an offer to buy my house (and lot) for $150k, but the usual online estimates are averaging $190k (again for both house and lot.) A few months ago those same sources were claiming $160k so I'm not sure the higher price will hold or is transient, but more importantly I believe that to command that price I'd have to do $20-30k+ or so in repairs/updates to be comparable to the average home in my neighborhood (the online estimates can't see inside my house, of course), and it wouldn't be hard to go over that. Bogleheads of course would say to d-i-y all the work using building supplies collected for free from dumpsters; I'm going by retail prices.

Regarding new homes, I'm seeing in the range of $250k for a similar home and property, although because the neighborhoods are different (there are no new homes in mine; all houses are about the same age) it's difficult to compare directly. Although there hasn't always seemed to have been one, I believe there should be a premium for new, because if I really wanted to make mine "new"-ish, it would cost me probably $50k+, and the floorplan would still not be what most people (me too!) seem to want today.
skis4hire

Post by skis4hire »

I would challenge the 'conventional' lifespan of some of these items.

Vinyl windows may only last 20 years but aluminum or aluminum-clad wood windows may last 60.

Asphalt shingle roofs may only last 20 years but a metal roof will last 80.

A stainless-tank water heater flushed annually with a replaceable electric element will last indefinitely.

Concrete can be maintained, sealed from salt, repaired. I would put it more as a $1000 every 60 months type of item unless it's already in unrepairable shape.

Seek out information on the latest in building science, which has advanced significantly in the last 10-15 years but is generally not reflected in the typical practices of new construction or retrofit contractors unless explicitly spelled out. Following latest best practices regarding things like air sealing, exterior insulation, rainscreen details, etc. will significantly increase the comfort and longevity of your home and the health of its occupants.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Also keep in mind with the average length of stay in a home only around 7 years many won't be paying the biggest ticket items like roof replacement.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Derpalator wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:04 am
Parkinglotracer wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:06 am This may take the joy out of owning a home or two. Next let’s (not) do the cost of maintaining a marriage or a boat.
Nor children.
Oh yeah, not children. Lol.
dak

Post by dak »

I appears that OP is attempting to do a reserve study similar to what well run condo associations and HOAs are required to do in my state. In a HOA, the reserves reduce or eliminate the need for special assessments and the attendant moaning and groaning from the association members to replace or repair the association infrastructure. I applaud the effort to at least attempt to remove some of the future shock in paying for maintenance items - most responders here seem to be assuming that repairs will simply be paid for out of free cash flow, and that is not always possible.

One refinement I would make is to take this data ( once refined) and generate a projected spending profile throughout time. You might find, for example, that you have periods of high spending that need to be accepted for in the accumulation of the reserve.

Having said all of that, I have found that the costs of home improvements ( e.g. bathroom upgrades) far exceed the routine maintenance costs for a newer home, so none of this detail was worth the effort to my wife and I.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

jharkin wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:06 pm
10 years on appliances? I left the 20year old whirlpool washer behind at my last house, only needed repair once ($20 motor coupling) in that time.

I’ve also lived in houses with heating systems older than me, and I’ve got more grey than not…
Most modern appliances simply aren't built to last more than 10 years anymore. Our last house (bought in 2013) had a fridge that was probably from the early to mid 90s in the basement when we moved in, and a fridge in the kitchen that was only 3 or 4 years old. We replaced the fridge in the kitchen in 2017 when it died, and took the old basement fridge with us when we moved in 2018. It's still going strong in our basement, but the fridge that was in the kitchen couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old when we moved in, and we replaced it early this year because of multiple issues.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

GT99 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:00 pm
10 years on appliances? I left the 20year old whirlpool washer behind at my last house, only needed repair once ($20 motor coupling) in that time.

I’ve also lived in houses with heating systems older than me, and I’ve got more grey than not…
Most modern appliances simply aren't built to last more than 10 years anymore. Our last house (bought in 2013) had a fridge that was probably from the early to mid 90s in the basement when we moved in, and a fridge in the kitchen that was only 3 or 4 years old. We replaced the fridge in the kitchen in 2017 when it died, and took the old basement fridge with us when we moved in 2018. It's still going strong in our basement, but the fridge that was in the kitchen couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old when we moved in, and we replaced it early this year because of multiple issues.
Depending on your electricity rate that could be expensive.

A fridge in the late 80s burned as much as 2000 kwhr pa (something like $260 pa at current avg US electricity rate, domestic).

A fridge now will burn less than 500 kwhr pa. (so say $65 pa)-- and it will be a bigger fridge. (Mine happens to do less than 300 kwhr pa, but I live in Europe and pay c US 30c/ kwhr for electricity-by American standards, it is small).

There are various break points-- I think 1992 was when the first really noticeable step up in fridge efficiency was legally mandated (California tightened up and the appliance manufacturers eventually went to the US Federal government and said that it was too costly to meet different state standards, and so efficiency was tightened at a national level by the Congress). President Bush (the younger) signed into law the last big improvement (2006 from memory). If a fridge is made after 2000, it's probably within reasonable shooting distance of a modern fridge - the gains won't be so much.

We've had any number of posters here down the years comment that when they replaced the fridge, their monthly electricity bills dropped noticeably.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Valuethinker wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:49 am
GT99 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:00 pm

Depending on your electricity rate that could be expensive.

A fridge in the late 80s burned as much as 2000 kwhr pa (something like $260 pa at current avg US electricity rate, domestic).

A fridge now will burn less than 500 kwhr pa. (so say $65 pa)-- and it will be a bigger fridge. (Mine happens to do less than 300 kwhr pa, but I live in Europe and pay c US 30c/ kwhr for electricity-by American standards, it is small).

There are various break points-- I think 1992 was when the first really noticeable step up in fridge efficiency was legally mandated (California tightened up and the appliance manufacturers eventually went to the US Federal government and said that it was too costly to meet different state standards, and so efficiency was tightened at a national level by the Congress). President Bush (the younger) signed into law the last big improvement (2006 from memory). If a fridge is made after 2000, it's probably within reasonable shooting distance of a modern fridge - the gains won't be so much.

We've had any number of posters here down the years comment that when they replaced the fridge, their monthly electricity bills dropped noticeably.
1996 (not 2000) or later model year fridge should have the extra insulation...my 1996 Kenmore (Whirlpool) side-by-side does and is still going strong.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

dak wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:38 pm
Having said all of that, I have found that the costs of home improvements ( e.g. bathroom upgrades) far exceed the routine maintenance costs for a newer home, so none of this detail was worth the effort to my wife and I.
At some point the line blurs between upgrades and maintenance, especially for kitchens and bathrooms.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

kelway wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:01 pm
finite_difference wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:26 pm
I'd kill to have a 20 year exterior paint job. I've painted our trim thrice in 21 years.
Hardiboard or Hardiplank, make in Australia, warranty is good. Can’t recall, 20-30 years. Comes painted or just primed. We live in Montana, our exterior is going strong at 21 years.
Respectfully HVAC
jnw

Post by jnw »

My concrete driveway is 50 years old. I don't ever plan on replacing it. It has several cracks in it across it with some weeds growing through here and there. But it's flat still. I don't see the point of replacing it. I don't care that it is pitted and cracked. Too bad though they didn't use rebar when laying it down. If I ever do end up replacing it I am going to make sure it is properly reinforced.

My driveway is still better than asphalt even with the cracks and dimples all over. I don't have to do any maintenance to it other than weed wack the weeds in the cracks.
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

jebmke wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:41 pm Unclear if you already own the house or planning to buy. I moved a lot over the years. I always budgeted ~ 10-15% of the price of the house for upfront costs in the first 1-2 years for various fixes, updates, decor.

Also, assume every once in a while you are going to do a major update to some space or the other (e.g. kitchen reno, new deck ....). Some of that you have captured.
We must be cut from the same cloth. At about the 2 year mark I'm at 11.7% of purchase price (Subtracting out land value its ~17% of the assessed value of "improvements") on repairs/maintenance/upgrades. I expect to settle down to about 2-3% avg. over time.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Depends where you live. Weather has a huge impact. Build quality has also changed over time. Some old stuff failed a lot sooner than expected.

A roof is every 10-20 years depending on how it’s manufactured. HVAC is 20ish. Some will only last 10ish. It depends.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

I think your time estimate for new AC and Furnace are really too long.
I would guess closer to every 15 -20 years.
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

B4Xt3r wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:26 pm Hi Guys,

I'm going through the motions of trying to create a monthly budget for all the extra maintenance of owning a ~2000 square foot 3-2 home. For people who have done this before me, mind looking at briefly glancing at these items, time, and costs? If there are other large items that I've forgotten about, don't hesitate to correct me. I'm not too worried about being accurate down to 10% level, but just ballpark for each. If I'm high on some, hopefully that will be averaged out by being low on others. And if I add enough guesses to the list, then it'll probably come out playing the right game long-term.

Right now its at ~$350 average/month.

Thanks,

-b4xter
  • Roof every 330 months at $20,000
  • Furnace every 300 months at $8,000
  • AC every 300 months at $4,000
  • Concrete driveway every 420 months at $10,000
  • Windows every 480 months at $15,000
  • Siding every 360 months at $10,000
  • Water heater every 120 months at $1,250
  • Well Pump every 180 months at $3,500
  • Septic tanks every 420 months at $5,000
  • Pump septic tank every 36 months at $500
  • Leech field every 300 months at $16,500
  • Furnace maintenance every 12 months at $200
  • Maintain hardwood flooring every 240 months at $6,000
  • New Washer/dryer every 84 months at $1,200
  • New Fridge every 120 months at $2,000
  • New Oven every 180 months at $1,000
  • New Microwave every 120 months at $400
  • New Dishwasher every 120 months at $1,200
  • Chimney cleaning every 12 months at $150
  • Random catch all fund every 12 months at $300
I wouldn't budget for things like painting interior or hardwood floor maintenance (optional) or concrete driveway (will you really be in the home 35 years).
finite_difference

Mr.BB wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:11 pm I think your time estimate for new AC and Furnace are really too long.
I would guess closer to every 15 -20 years.
+1.

Missing carpet cleaning, carpet replacement, annual AC maintenance, annual dryer vent cleaning. Fences outside. Exterior paint. Gutter maintenance.
jnw

Post by jnw »

Dregob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:34 pm I wouldn't budget for things like painting interior or hardwood floor maintenance (optional) or concrete driveway (will you really be in the home 35 years).
I'm glad I got ceramic tile installed. Hopefully it wont' be expensive to maintain.. hopefully will last forever.
jnw

Post by jnw »

I don't understand, why do windows need replacing? I thought you just recaulk them every so often.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

+1
44 years
I do too. I spend less than that on my current home. I spent 3x that on my prior home. There is some luck here as well as the weather.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

JenniferW wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:39 am I don't understand, why do windows need replacing? I thought you just recaulk them every so often.
The seal breaks, and they fog up.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

JenniferW wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:39 am I don't understand, why do windows need replacing? I thought you just recaulk them every so often.
My experience with wood windows previously was that over time, maybe due to moisture etc. they deteriorate, and also painting them (mine were painted, maybe some are stained) is difficult due to the somewhat intricate framing around the glass. And moisture does eventually work its way around the panes with expansion and contraction, even if you try to maintain that seal. And eventually the hardware deteriorates. Plus with vinyl windows now the glass seems to be a much higher percentage of the cost than it had been in the single-pane era with wood windows, so replacing the entire window (especially once the first replacement is done; subsequent replacements seem to be less invasive in that they disturb less trim) is sometimes more practical.
international001

Post by international001 »

1% approach implies that the house value is $420k for all these costs. As other said, it depends on the house more than its price.

I would really like to see a 'real cost to own', same that you'll do with a car. There are many variables. At least an average. 1-2% is the rule you typically see. It's difficult to find something more accurate. I guess no organization has any interest to do it.

In Europe that's not even on the radar. I guess brick houses/condos are different. Change the roof? Say what?
gtrplayer

Post by gtrplayer »

Gundy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:34 am
wait . . . what?

Holy crap!
Personally, I install a pristine new toilet every time I go.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

jharkin wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:06 pm With the exception of the roof and a couple others… most of those items are FAR too often.

Siding should outlive you. If it’s failing it’s because you didn’t maintain the paint.
Similarly windows should last a long time. Yes modern windows are garbage compared to the woodwork of 100 years ago but like siding if it’s kept dry and well painted…

After 20 years of home ownership, I very strongly disagree here. I think the mechanical/appliance estimates are probably low. Yes, appliances built before roughly 2000 often lasted 20 years. Appliances aren't made to last as long anymore. I've got a 25ish year old refrigerator as a 2nd fridge in the basement. Runs fine. I've replaced 2 less than 8 year old refrigerators and 2 less than 8 year old dishwashers since then. I wouldn't plan on any appliances lasting more than 10 years, average will likely be less than 10. Roof depends greatly on where you are, type of roof, etc, but I wouldn't plan on a roof lasting more than 20 years.

Windows...40 year old windows probably aren't going to be very weather tight. I'd expect to replace them more like every 20-25 years.

I personally have never done this kind of budget or even looked at backwards expenditures but I'd be very surprised if my average annual maintenance spend was under 1% of value when I think about various roof leaks, plumbing issues, electrical issues, wildlife exclusion, staining decks/fences, etc. Definitely a lot of years under 1%, but also some years over 3%.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

GT99 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:05 pm
jharkin wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:06 pm With the exception of the roof and a couple others… most of those items are FAR too often.

Siding should outlive you. If it’s failing it’s because you didn’t maintain the paint.
Similarly windows should last a long time. Yes modern windows are garbage compared to the woodwork of 100 years ago but like siding if it’s kept dry and well painted…

After 20 years of home ownership, I very strongly disagree here. I think the mechanical/appliance estimates are probably low. Yes, appliances built before roughly 2000 often lasted 20 years. Appliances aren't made to last as long anymore. I've got a 25ish year old refrigerator as a 2nd fridge in the basement. Runs fine. I've replaced 2 less than 8 year old refrigerators and 2 less than 8 year old dishwashers since then. I wouldn't plan on any appliances lasting more than 10 years, average will likely be less than 10. Roof depends greatly on where you are, type of roof, etc, but I wouldn't plan on a roof lasting more than 20 years.

Windows...40 year old windows probably aren't going to be very weather tight. I'd expect to replace them more like every 20-25 years.

I personally have never done this kind of budget or even looked at backwards expenditures but I'd be very surprised if my average annual maintenance spend was under 1% of value when I think about various roof leaks, plumbing issues, electrical issues, wildlife exclusion, staining decks/fences, etc. Definitely a lot of years under 1%, but also some years over 3%.
Sounds about right. I give appliances 7-10 years. Dishwasher is probably the least reliable. Laundry machine and counter burners are probably the most reliable. Fridges are hit or miss. I know folks that had issues with one year old fridges.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

The 1% rule of thumb doesn't seem to work in areas where real estate costs 3x to 10x the rest of the country. Cost of labor is not vastly different though.

So in these areas, would you simply take 1% of a comparable house in an averagely priced area?
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

MrJones wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:11 pm The 1% rule of thumb doesn't seem to work in areas where real estate costs 3x to 10x the rest of the country. Cost of labor is not vastly different though.

So in these areas, would you simply take 1% of a comparable house in an averagely priced area?
Maybe it's not 1:1 but you should consider that everything costs more when you live in an area where real estate is inflated.

No one pays $2mm for a 2000 sqft house and puts in white Maytag appliances and off the shelf Home Depot countertops. You have a Sub Zero refrigerator. You have a Wolf stove/oven. You have marble countertops. These things cost astronomical amounts of money.

I have a $999 refrigerator in my house. My sister's family has a $14,000 Sub Zero refrigerator in their Manhattan apartment.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:18 pm
MrJones wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:11 pm The 1% rule of thumb doesn't seem to work in areas where real estate costs 3x to 10x the rest of the country. Cost of labor is not vastly different though.

Maybe it's not 1:1 but you should consider that everything costs more when you live in an area where real estate is inflated.

No one pays $2mm for a 2000 sqft house and puts in white Maytag appliances and off the shelf Home Depot countertops. You have a Sub Zero refrigerator. You have a Wolf stove/oven. You have marble countertops. These things cost astronomical amounts of money.

I have a $999 refrigerator in my house. My sister's family has a $14,000 Sub Zero refrigerator in their Manhattan apartment.
It's 1:1 or worse where I live. The houses in this VHCOL look worse inside and outside than comparable houses priced 3x-10x less in the rest of the country. Appliances are literally the cheap ones you mentioned.

And as I mentioned, price of labor is not drastically different either.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

JenniferW wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:46 pm My concrete driveway is 50 years old. I don't ever plan on replacing it. It has several cracks in it across it with some weeds growing through here and there. But it's flat still. I don't see the point of replacing it. I don't care that it is pitted and cracked. Too bad though they didn't use rebar when laying it down. If I ever do end up replacing it I am going to make sure it is properly reinforced.

My driveway is still better than asphalt even with the cracks and dimples all over. I don't have to do any maintenance to it other than weed wack the weeds in the cracks.
I would love to get 20 years out of my driveway in our mountain home. Its currently 12 years old and the spalling from the snow freeze/thaw cycles is so bad it likely needs to be replaced now. I can get past cracking, but the pitting from the spalling is growing at an exponential rate each winter. The Sierra Nevada snow pack and storm cycles have really escalated things this year as well.

Same for exterior paint. We are lucky to get 8-10 years before total repaint is necessary.

Winter weather is brutal on homes in some areas.

I know this thread is super old, but we never tried to budget the way OP is. We simply save as much as we can, have substantial e-funds, and address these items as they occur. Its not consistent spend, comes in waves, but I would say 1-1.5% of home purchase price is about what we have averaged.
Last edited by DoubleComma on Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 »

I’ve learned one important thing on this thread:
People have a lot of issues with toilets.

Funny, because the one size fits all kit that someone put in the master bathroom sticks… because the chain is actually a barbed plastic doohickey that catches on the water overflow pipe…or ends up under the flapper …either way the thing runs constantly if you don’t catch it. Eventually we’re replacing the whole stupid thing.

The way we manage home costs is to have a certain amount saved in reserve (part of our emergency savings. The purpose is to cover a sudden, unexpected, unavoidable cost … like the refrigerator goes out and is 100% dead. The amount has to be large enough to cover such a cost, plus whatever other life emergency might happen, so that we do not necessarily have to cash flow it (we might decide to, but do not *have* to).

I’ve found that bigger ticket items like a roof, HVAC, heat pump or deck either give plenty of warning before completing needing replacement - OR - we can come up with a work around for temporary if we have to. We are willing to use workaround and make-dos, but you may not be. If the A/C wasn’t fixable, then we might use a window unit for temporary (a couple hundred $ vs many thousands expense).

Someone else mentioned this: I’ve also found that if we get the house in good working order when we buy it, maintenance is easier and true breaks are less common/severe. I’d say spending 5-10% of the cost of the home, up front - depending on the tier of pricing you go with.

If a big ticket item is coming - the roof is on its last legs, or we will be replacing windows - we save specifically for that item.

If you simply have to have a list, add lightbulbs. LEDs are getting expensive. And mower gas/oil if you’re not hiring out.
Also, I think for most areas those numbers for roof, hvac, windows are low. We ordered windows for the fron of our house (only), and it cost more than the number you have. We did the install, and these were not super high end windows. I know a local hvac replacement that was $12,000. I expect to never replace other items on the list (vinyl siding for example) - likely I would have moved…

Regardless of lists, I think the biggest thing you’ll run into is that the expenses are bumpy. You’ll have puddly stuff for years, and then suddenly 5 appliances go belly up (all the same age in a new build home) or the heat pump quits working and you decide to replace the whole system (blower, air conditioning, heat pump, backup furnace and air filter upgrade).
Please spell out new acronyms. Thank you.
jnw

Post by jnw »

DoubleComma wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:53 pm
JenniferW wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:46 pm My concrete driveway is 50 years old. I don't ever plan on replacing it. It has several cracks in it across it with some weeds growing through here and there. But it's flat still. I don't see the point of replacing it. I don't care that it is pitted and cracked. Too bad though they didn't use rebar when laying it down. If I ever do end up replacing it I am going to make sure it is properly reinforced.

I would love to get 20 years out of my driveway in our mountain home. Its currently 12 years old and the spalling from the snow freeze/thaw cycles is so bad it likely needs to be replaced now. I can get past cracking, but the pitting from the spalling is growing at an exponential rate each winter. The Sierra Nevada snow pack and storm cycles have really escalated things this year as well.

Same for exterior paint. We are lucky to get 8-10 years before total repaint is necessary.

Winter weather is brutal on homes in some areas.

I know this thread is super old, but we never tried to budget the way OP is. We simply save as much as we can, have substantial e-funds, and address these items as they occur. Its not consistent spend, comes in waves, but I would say 1-1.5% of home purchase price is about what we have averaged.
Is it possible to recap it yourself? Just spread out the mixture over it and rake it with a flat edge? No salt gets on it? I know salt destroys concrete instantly.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

B4Xt3r wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:26 pm Hi Guys,

I'm going through the motions of trying to create a monthly budget for all the extra maintenance of owning a ~2000 square foot 3-2 home. For people who have done this before me, mind looking at briefly glancing at these items, time, and costs? If there are other large items that I've forgotten about, don't hesitate to correct me. I'm not too worried about being accurate down to 10% level, but just ballpark for each. If I'm high on some, hopefully that will be averaged out by being low on others. And if I add enough guesses to the list, then it'll probably come out playing the right game long-term.

Right now its at ~$350 average/month.

Thanks,

-b4xter
    27-1/2 years seems like a very long time for a roof replacement; maybe closer to 15-20 years.
    I would plan on less than 40 years.
    I would up this to between $25k-$30k.
    Our house is about 40 years old, and septic has not needed to be replaced.
    We have had to extend our leech field and it was nowhere near this cost, of course that was 20 years ago.
    I doubt it will last that long, maybe 1/2 that time before it really starts to wear, probably much more expensive.
    A new washer/dryer will run more like $2,500 at current prices.
    A new microwave doesn't last more than a few years typically, but it should cost less than $250.
    Do not plan on a diswasher lasting more than 5 years, and it should cost less than $1,000.
    Unless you are using your fireplace all the time, you shouldn't need to clean it this often.
    You will probably want to up this amount.

Landscaping, lawn mowers, tree trimming/maintenance.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

GT99 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:05 pm

Ok, so I had to dig back 2~3 years to reread the posts you quoted.

You have owned houses for 20 years... so have I. We both have a couple data points, not really enough to extrapolate statistics.

My experience is that a lot of the things that people replace could have been repaired, they just choose not to. The first top loader washer I ever bought (around 1998) stopped working in 2015. Most people would have tossed it, but it was just a broken rubber motor coupler that cost $20 and took me all of 45 minutes to repair. I had a Kenmore(whirlpool) dishwasher spring a leak at 5 years old. Was a bad drain float switch that cost $10 and took 10 mintes to swap.

The house we live in came with a nice KitchenAide side by side fridge. Based on the model # its at least 10 eyars old. In the 5 years Ive been here Ive fixed it twice - icemaker went bad (about $150 in parts, 45 min), and the water maker valve sprung a leak ($50 in parts and an hour, most of which was pulling it out of hte wall and pushing it back)

House also came with an Electrolux front load washer/dryer set of similar vintage. Last year the dryer stopped working. It threw an error code that told me exactly what was wrong (burned out heating element) which I also replacesd myself for ~$100 and a couple hours work.

(Note that none of the above repairs required anything other than basic hand tools almost everone has and YouTube is full of step by step videos that will walk even first timers though most of these fixes.)

Windows that "are not very weather tight" often just need the weather stripping replaced. Unless the frames are rotting or the seals went bad and they have fogged its massive overkill to thousands each to replace them just because they are old, when $20 in weatherstrip could do the trick. But the Renewal by Anderson marketing machine is everywhere....

When I lived in the 18th century house the roof started to leak around 25 years but it turned out to just be bad flashing around a vent. I had that repaired for $500 and got another 5 years out of it. Sure lots of people would have just replaced it "because its old" and I guess if $15,000 is no big deal then its your choice, but I think its wasteful.

Feel free to toss money at replacing things but I like to repair....
:moneybag
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Putting my own experiences in here in green. Been in current house since new, somewhat over 25 years ago. Some things on the list below we've replaced, some not, without signs of any replacement needed for a long time. House was ~standard, builder-grade construction as of the mid-90s (vinyl siding, windows, etc.)
OnTrack2020 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:16 pm
B4Xt3r wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:26 pm
    27-1/2 years seems like a very long time for a roof replacement; maybe closer to 15-20 years.
    Probably 15-20 years in our clime (wet, windy, sunny).
    I would plan on less than 40 years.
    No issues whatsoever through 25+ years of our vinyl windows. (Dogs have scratched out screen and some vinyl trim on a sliding door)
    I would up this to between $25k-$30k.
    Just had some minor repairs on a few pieces of (white) vinyl siding, but basically fine after 25+ years.
    Our house is about 40 years old, and septic has not needed to be replaced.
    We have had to extend our leech field and it was nowhere near this cost, of course that was 20 years ago.
    Neither of these are relevant for us.
    I doubt it will last that long, maybe 1/2 that time before it really starts to wear, probably much more expensive.
    We only have a small amount of hardwood. Have had it repolished/stained once. Still looks reasonable. Dog claws are a little rough on it. Carpeting replaced once, probably a ~15 year cycle. Kitchen/Laundy linoleum replaced once, but I think it was mainly wife's cosmetic preference, though the new stuff isn't aging great (sun bleaching.)
    A new washer/dryer will run more like $2,500 at current prices.
    I think we're on maybe our 3rd set of these? I'd probably budget $1500-1800 for the pair, at ~10 year intervals.
    A new microwave doesn't last more than a few years typically, but it should cost less than $250.
    7-10 years, $200-300-ish, self-installed (~$400 if you contract.)
    Do not plan on a diswasher lasting more than 5 years, and it should cost less than $1,000.
    Maybe 8 years, $800 with contracted install?
    Unless you are using your fireplace all the time, you shouldn't need to clean it this often.
    We've never done this, but rarely use our fireplace. Not sure of the safety ramifications of this.
    You will probably want to up this amount.
    Much more, depending on if this fund is meant for exterior stuff, too.

Landscaping, lawn mowers, tree trimming/maintenance.
    Of course this varies based on lawn size, climate, and how much you do yourself. But in general, it's not cheap (time/money) to keep a significant yard nicely conditioned to neighborhood standards. Then again, the process can be at least somewhat enjoyable for many. Note that exterior STRUCTURES (deck, fence, outbuildings) can require costs, potentially significant ones, of their own, especially if they're wood. Wood deck, wood fence, etc. will require upkeep/replacement over time, plus perhaps staining.

Another note. Assuming you do some of this stuff yourself, you'll need a set of tools to do the work. You'll steadily accumulate more tools over time, and some of the older stuff will require replacement, especially power tools of all kinds (lawnmower, string trimmer, blower, drill, etc.) Individually, most of this stuff isn't too expensive, but collectively, it can add up. Plus cans of paint/stain, caulk, nails and screws, etc. - hardware store runs are not infrequent.
Last edited by psteinx on Tue May 23, 2023 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

yeah, I don't understand windows needing to replaced so often.

the 30+ year old wood frame, double-pane windows in my development have held up fine with regular painting.

the 1920s house I grew up in as a kid didn't have its wood-frame, single pane windows (with window weights!) replaced until they were ~80 years old.