Vanguard's new mobile app (formerly known as "Beacon")

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Stinky

Re: Vanguard's new mobile app (formerly known as "Beacon")

Post by Stinky »

Tim Buckley, Vanguard’s CEO, is the guest this week on the “Masters in Business” podcast hosted by Barry Ritholtz. Show link follows: https://omny.fm/shows/masters-in-busine ... h-vanguard

At about 23 minutes into the podcast, Buckley spends a few minutes talking about technology. In particular, he talks about the new mobile app. He said that it was “hated” by users when it first came out. But Vanguard made over 200 changes to the app in 9 months, and he said that client satisfaction ratings on the app are now higher than on the previous iteration of the app.

In other words, Buckley believes that “the app formerly known as Beacon” is a success.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I do think the app is starting to look pretty good.

I used the “Deposit” function to deposit funds into our joint brokerage account twice—no problems.

Also, I like being able to get some individual stock info.

I guess all the feedback is having some influence….really glad to see this and I hope it keeps going…
VG seems to be heading in the right direction AFAIC….still has a ways to go, but changes are happening.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

"Coming Soon

you'll be able to access details for this type of account in the app shortly. Until then view your account details by visiting vanguard.com"

Stinky reports "In other words, Buckley believes that “the app formerly known as Beacon” is a success." Not for me.
Perhaps Mr. Buckley could look into the app vis a vis LLC brokerage accounts.

The app works for my personal accounts, but not for my LLC brokerage account. I've been talking to my Flagship reps for years since I switched from MF to brokerage account. They and V tech support keep saying soon! I know it's been many years that I've been promised SOON. BOA no longer accepts deposits of checks made out to my LLC, that I would then EFT to the V account.

So I now print out a deposit slip and mail the checks to El Paso. At least they provide me with prepaid mailers.
DrivingFun

Post by DrivingFun »

I hope this isn't too stupid of a question. Is this thread about the Vanguard app in Android Play Store that has a 2.0 review?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

DrivingFun wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:42 am I hope this isn't too stupid of a question. Is this thread about the Vanguard app in Android Play Store that has a 2.0 review?
The first post in this thread refers to the Android App Store. Others like me use the IOS version on Apple. If it’s the current official Vanguard app that you see that is what this thread is about.

Cheers
Drovor

Post by Drovor »

heartwood wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:47 am "Coming Soon

you'll be able to access details for this type of account in the app shortly. Until then view your account details by visiting vanguard.com"
I had the same issue for a sibling 401k turned inherited IRA. At least for me on my Android app, I can now access this account. Maybe you have similar luck now?
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

No, just checked. Still the same message and no access through the app other than the total dollar amount in the account.

So still no mobile check deposit. I just mailed a check in the name of the LLC to them in El Paso adding about a week for mail processing, etc.

Thanks for your post
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Tim Buckley was telling Barry Ritholtz in a podcast about how their development methodology is so rapid:
But because it was built cloud native, that meant you could make changes to it. You can make the changes every two, three days. And so we did 200 releases to it in nine months. And that app has gone way past the satisfaction ratings, client satisfaction ratings of the past one. It continues to grow.
I haven't tried it and have no interest in trying again, but as I look at the Android app store, I see that even with 200 releases in nine months, with 7,000 reviews and over a million downloads, the average rating is still 2.0.

Looking at the most recent, starting 3/4/2023, I see

4, "felt my money was well protected from false transactions" (??? how would one know?)

5, "Well organized."

1, "One of the worst mobile apps for a financial institution. Half of it doesn't work and the other half is hard to use."

1, "Terrible interface. Can't control your assets or get reasonable information about your investments. Much worse than Schwab, tda and others."

4, "A work in progress... not perfect... but basic functionality is very good for most transations." (High praise indeed)

1, "App is garbage. Go back to the old version or improve this one. Uninstalled until future notice."

5, "Love it."

2, "App crashes constantly."

2, "How do you create a login?"

5, "Easy"

1, "Terrible quality app, basically just a web vew into their website that crashes all the time and requires reauthentication for practically every click"

1, "This app is garbage, plain and simple."

1, "Absolute trash app full of weird dead ends that connect to the website and then you can't get back to the app. Trying to accept the agreements once you've already got an account and you try and buy something just ends you into an endless loop of continuously accepting the NYSE agreements. I'd wager this is executives interfering in the app design process."

1, "Can't even login."

2, "Asks for multiple passwords and crashes after a lot."

1, "Just a dreadful app overall. Fingerprint login is fine, but then to get to any sort of action you have to put a password in followed by a text code. Then the app crashes. Lately, I've been bombarded to update my contact info but when I go to confirm it's correct, the page says it's timed out. 2/22 update didn't fix anything.

1, "I'd rather use a web page on my phone than this app. It crashes so much it's useless."

That last is from 2/28/2023. These are recent reviews of the app after the benefit of those 200 releases.
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:02 pm Tim Mortimer was telling Barry Ritholtz in a podcast about how their development methodology is so rapid:
But because it was built cloud native, that meant you could make changes to it. You can make the changes every two, three days. And so we did 200 releases to it in nine months. And that app has gone way past the satisfaction ratings, client satisfaction ratings of the past one. It continues to grow.
I haven't tried it and have no interest in trying again, but as I look at the Android app store, I see that even with 200 releases in nine months, with 7,000 reviews and over a million downloads, the average rating is still 2.0.

Looking at the most recent, starting 3/4/2023, I see

4, "felt my money was well protected from false transactions" (??? how would one know?)

5, "Well organized."

1, "One of the worst mobile apps for a financial institution. Half of it doesn't work and the other half is hard to use."

1, "Terrible interface. Can't control your assets or get reasonable information about your investments. Much worse than Schwab, tda and others."

4, "A work in progress... not perfect... but basic functionality is very good for most transations." (High praise indeed)

1, "App is garbage. Go back to the old version or improve this one. Uninstalled until future notice."

5, "Love it."

2, "App crashes constantly."

2, "How do you create a login?"

5, "Easy"

1, "Terrible quality app, basically just a web vew into their website that crashes all the time and requires reauthentication for practically every click"

1, "This app is garbage, plain and simple."

1, "Absolute trash app full of weird dead ends that connect to the website and then you can't get back to the app. Trying to accept the agreements once you've already got an account and you try and buy something just ends you into an endless loop of continuously accepting the NYSE agreements. I'd wager this is executives interfering in the app design process."

1, "Can't even login."

2, "Asks for multiple passwords and crashes after a lot."

1, "Just a dreadful app overall. Fingerprint login is fine, but then to get to any sort of action you have to put a password in followed by a text code. Then the app crashes. Lately, I've been bombarded to update my contact info but when I go to confirm it's correct, the page says it's timed out. 2/22 update didn't fix anything.

1, "I'd rather use a web page on my phone than this app. It crashes so much it's useless."

That last is from 2/28/2023. These are recent reviews of the app after the benefit of those 200 releases.
Overall I've had a great experience with it. The one thing I wish I could do is exchange funds within the app. Another poster showed me a work-around that works will enough. It brings you to the website within the app functions. Otherwise I like it.

EDIT: PS I really liked the Barry Ritholtz interview. I walked away feeling like Tim Buckley still truly had the Vanguard tradition of putting the investor first at top of mind. I hope I'm right.
"The big money is not in the buying and selling, but in the waiting." - Charles Munger
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:02 pm Tim Mortimer was telling Barry Ritholtz in a podcast about how their development methodology is so rapid
He goes by Tim Vanguard.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:24 am
nisiprius wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:02 pm Tim Mortimer was telling Barry Ritholtz in a podcast about how their development methodology is so rapid
He goes by Tim Vanguard.
:oops: Fixed. Thanks.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:00 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:24 am
He goes by Tim Vanguard.
:oops: Fixed. Thanks.
Sorry, I thought it was an intentional Vanguard-flavored callback to "Tim Apple".

https://youtu.be/tXofQ7ga174
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Well, today, I decided to try (after months of not doing so) the app's mobile check deposit feature again which, I have posted previously, worked seamlessly under the old app but stopped working for me once the new app went live.

I was depositing funds into a Brokerage Settlement Account. The camera works beautifully, and the check images look good. All goes well until I hit "Submit" and the app tells me to "endorse" the back of the check (!!). The check is payable to "Vanguard" -- why would I be the party endorsing the check, when it is payable to Vanguard?! This is wrong and so woefully bad.

I cancelled the transaction and will go back, for now, to mailing the checks. This is a trust fund transaction and there are checks.

Has anyone else experienced this incorrect response in the mobile check feature?
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

If the check is payable to Vanguard, why are you trying to deposit it?
bbrock
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

bbrock wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:50 am If the check is payable to Vanguard, why are you trying to deposit it?
I think you misunderstand. The check is payable to Vanguard because the funds are being deposited into a settlement account on behalf of the Vanguard account holder. That's how one deposits funds into Vanguard.
rob

Re: Will vanguard improve its app

Post by rob »

dkturner wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:33 am....but I do have to admit that is less bad than it was last year.....
I think this is Vanguard's IT logo...
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
chinchin

Post by chinchin »

I always write checks to myself if depositing to an account I control, but maybe trusts accounts are different.
not financial advice
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Matahari wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:36 pm
bbrock wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:50 am If the check is payable to Vanguard, why are you trying to deposit it?
I think you misunderstand. The check is payable to Vanguard because the funds are being deposited into a settlement account on behalf of the Vanguard account holder. That's how one deposits funds into Vanguard.
Strange. We have a RLT account. Deposited a check just few days ago. Payable to wife/co-tte, it was endorsed, deposited, and bypassed the settlement acct. as we were directly able to purchase into VUSXX. Check was not payable to Vanguard; worked just like normal.
bbrock
Clarky

Post by Clarky »

I’d just endorse the check like the program asked. It probably would have worked. Sometimes software is just begging you to out-think it.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I have used the VG mobile app to mobile deposit checks 3 different times in the last month.
Every deposit worked flawlessly and all 3 times the deposit amount showed up in
our joint account within minutes.
We also received a text and email message about receiving the deposits.
IMHO, the VG mobile app has improved a lot; I am very pleased with it.
Yes, it still needs some improvement though, but, it has improved and keeps
getting better.
HenryPorter

Vanguard smartphone app

Post by HenryPorter »

[Merged into existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

Is everybody logging into the app without any problems? My password and login credentials are good and work on my home PC. Trying to log in to the app on my phone, Vanguard rejects them and I have to do a pseudo password reset and enter name, birth date, last 4 of my SSN, zip code. Then I can log in with my unchanged password. This came up all of a sudden the past month.
jebmke

Re: Vanguard smartphone app

Post by jebmke »

Sounds like a phone OS update recently - they often nuke some settings. I don't use mobile devices for financial matters (Except Apple Pay) so I can't comment on VG app specifically. But I do know that the latest iOS update (dot 1) killed a few settings that I had to restore manually.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

HenryPorter wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:38 am Is everybody logging into the app without any problems? My password and login credentials are good and work on my home PC. Trying to log in to the app on my phone, Vanguard rejects them and I have to do a pseudo password reset and enter name, birth date, last 4 of my SSN, zip code. Then I can log in with my unchanged password. This came up all of a sudden the past month.
My Vanguard app on iPhone is working just fine this morning.

I’ve had no difficulty logging into the app over the past month.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
carbonfiber248

Vanguard app Android crashing

Post by carbonfiber248 »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Hi, I downloaded the vangurad app from play store on my phone S10+ latest OS update etc, after logging in and confirming the 2FA code the app just crashes and force closes. Clearing the cache, uninstall, reinstall nothing works. The reviews on Play store are horrible and i've provided feedback to the developers who probably don't care or pay attention to the reviews.

Anyone else on an Android phone with the latest version having issues? I even download 3 version back and they all behave the same.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

carbonfiber248, Welcome! I merged your post into the ongoing discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
AerialP

Post by AerialP »

carbonfiber248 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:23 pm [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Hi, I downloaded the vangurad app from play store on my phone S10+ latest OS update etc, after logging in and confirming the 2FA code the app just crashes and force closes. Clearing the cache, uninstall, reinstall nothing works. The reviews on Play store are horrible and i've provided feedback to the developers who probably don't care or pay attention to the reviews.

Anyone else on an Android phone with the latest version having issues? I even download 3 version back and they all behave the same.
I've been using the Vanguard app (Android), keeping it updated, for over 3 years now. First on my Pixel 3 and now on my newer Pixel 7. It has worked almost flawlessly with only the occasional minor glitch. I do prefer interfacing via laptop browser but for small stuff the app has been worthwhile for me and little-to-no aggravation nor wasted time.
carbonfiber248

Post by carbonfiber248 »

The bug seems to be with Android 12. I tested it on an older and newer version of android and it works. I'm perplexed, doubt Vangaurd will fix anything.
HenryPorter

Post by HenryPorter »

Stinky wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:51 am
HenryPorter wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:38 am Is everybody logging into the app without any problems? My password and login credentials are good and work on my home PC. Trying to log in to the app on my phone, Vanguard rejects them and I have to do a pseudo password reset and enter name, birth date, last 4 of my SSN, zip code. Then I can log in with my unchanged password. This came up all of a sudden the past month.
My Vanguard app on iPhone is working just fine this morning.

I’ve had no difficulty logging into the app over the past month.
Yeah, the app has been working better lately. I don't know why there were glitches.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Until either the phone app supports Yubikey authentication or there is a way to turn off access via the phone app, the existence of the phone app is a net liability for all Vanguard online users, whether or not they use the phone app.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Matahari wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:43 am Well, today, I decided to try (after months of not doing so) the app's mobile check deposit feature again which, I have posted previously, worked seamlessly under the old app but stopped working for me once the new app went live.

I was depositing funds into a Brokerage Settlement Account. The camera works beautifully, and the check images look good. All goes well until I hit "Submit" and the app tells me to "endorse" the back of the check (!!). The check is payable to "Vanguard" -- why would I be the party endorsing the check, when it is payable to Vanguard?! This is wrong and so woefully bad.

I cancelled the transaction and will go back, for now, to mailing the checks. This is a trust fund transaction and there are checks.

Has anyone else experienced this incorrect response in the mobile check feature?
If you are trying to rollover a 401k to an IRA, usually checks are written to “Vanguard FBO owner name” and do NOT require endorsement. In such case you must “contribute” to ira, NOT deposit. Deposit would reject a check for lack of endorsement, contribute (to IRA) would allow an unendorsed check. As others have posted, for taxable accounts (trust or not), usually you write to name of owner/trustee and then it must be endorsed and “deposited” where it would be screened for signature.

Still this was just the first obstacle, and the app has other flaws. 401k checks often come in the form of
those larger size checks from banks. The app does not like larger checks, seems to only handle the small normal size checks we all use to write personal checks. Had 2 rollovers with large checks, was able to get past the lack of endorsement and deposit first one, after many tries, but second one never was accepted after many photos, and it was NOT because of the endorsement issue (I know because I mistakenly tried deposit instead of contribute and did see the endorsement error there).
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

Northern Flicker wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:27 am Until either the phone app supports Yubikey authentication or there is a way to turn off access via the phone app, the existence of the phone app is a net liability for all Vanguard online users, whether or not they use the phone app.
I completely agree. I have no doubt that Vanguard has bright IT people, but the absence of better security for the app (either a hardware key or an authentication app) is difficult to understand. For some reason, they have made this a low priority.

I wonder if they are planning a move away from passwords to passkeys, and in the interim don’t want to invest in better security for the current platform.
“My opinions are just that - opinions.”
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Anyone else still have troubles getting outside investments yiu manually enter to show accordingly?

For example, I have entered other, non-retirement, my workplace 401k, all total bond index, I classified as mutual fund VBTLX (my workplace plan is a total bond index so using vanguards for my portfolio analysis is good enough), and next screen shows same message that it system is unavailable.

I don’t know a workaround. Does anyone know how to get this system working?

I used to use portfolio analysis to test different major modifications to my portfolio, for instance, if I switched all of my individual index funds to balanced funds, such as the lifestrategy. So, if I cannot run it through portfolio analysis, this is going to be an endeavor to try all these different Portfolio Tests via a spreadsheet.
bbrock
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

beyou wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:27 am
Matahari wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:43 am Well, today, I decided to try (after months of not doing so) the app's mobile check deposit feature again which, I have posted previously, worked seamlessly under the old app but stopped working for me once the new app went live.

If you are trying to rollover a 401k to an IRA, usually checks are written to “Vanguard FBO owner name” and do NOT require endorsement. In such case you must “contribute” to ira, NOT deposit. Deposit would reject a check for lack of endorsement, contribute (to IRA) would allow an unendorsed check. As others have posted, for taxable accounts (trust or not), usually you write to name of owner/trustee and then it must be endorsed and “deposited” where it would be screened for signature.

Still this was just the first obstacle, and the app has other flaws. 401k checks often come in the form of
those larger size checks from banks. The app does not like larger checks, seems to only handle the small normal size checks we all use to write personal checks. Had 2 rollovers with large checks, was able to get past the lack of endorsement and deposit first one, after many tries, but second one never was accepted after many photos, and it was NOT because of the endorsement issue (I know because I mistakenly tried deposit instead of contribute and did see the endorsement error there).

My deposit was not a 401k rollover. Those have always been easy peasy for me, executed via Vanguard doing a trustee-to-trustee direct transfer once the paperwork has been properly submitted.

What I began to have problems with, and continue to have problems with, is the mobile deposit of check made payable to "Vanguard" (in the manner in which one would normally send a check payable to "Vanguard" to make an investment in the quaint old days of mailing paper checks). The check is drawn on a trust account that was being deposited on behalf of a beneficiary in said beneficiary's Vanguard account. Under the old app, there was never a problem with depositing any check made payable to Vanguard. Under the new app, many problems, the latest being the one I described.

The next time a check is issued by the trust for the beneficiary, I will request the trustee make it payable to the benef and ask the benef to endorse the check. Let's see if that will work; if it does, it's basically a third-party check (if I recall the correct terminology) once it arrives at Vanguard.
Y

New software question

Post by Y »

I’ve been retired 13 yrs been bogle head I think 20 plus yrs. Very seldom sold anything and very satisfied with results.? In the old software I Let easily exchange one fund to another in my retirement fund. I just want to make with sure I’m doing it right using the new version brokerage account . Let’s say I want to exchange 50000$ from mm account in retirement fund to SP 500 in my retirement fund. .?do I take the 50000 out of mm fund then put it in settlement mm and then buy 500000 of SP.
This is all in the retirement account so there should be no tax consequence—- to me it should be the same as an exchange in old software. I think this correct but any impute is very much appreciated. Sincerely Y
Parkinglotracer

Re: New software question

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Y wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:57 pm I’ve been retired 13 yrs been bogle head I think 20 plus yrs. Very seldom sold anything and very satisfied with results.? In the old software I Let easily exchange one fund to another in my retirement fund. I just want to make with sure I’m doing it right using the new version brokerage account . Let’s say I want to exchange 50000$ from mm account in retirement fund to SP 500 in my retirement fund. .?do I take the 50000 out of mm fund then put it in settlement mm and then buy 500000 of SP.
This is all in the retirement account so there should be no tax consequence—- to me it should be the same as an exchange in old software. I think this correct but any impute is very much appreciated. Sincerely Y
I’d give vanguard a call and make sure you are doing it right. Your mm account may be your settlement account. Yes If it stays in retirement account there is no tax consequences.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Y wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:57 pm I’ve been retired 13 yrs been bogle head I think 20 plus yrs. Very seldom sold anything and very satisfied with results.? In the old software I Let easily exchange one fund to another in my retirement fund. I just want to make with sure I’m doing it right using the new version brokerage account . Let’s say I want to exchange 50000$ from mm account in retirement fund to SP 500 in my retirement fund. .?do I take the 50000 out of mm fund then put it in settlement mm and then buy 500000 of SP.
Hi Y -

Give Vanguard a call. It will be well worth it.

I once used Prime Money Market Fund as a default. However, Vanguard consolidated some of the money market fund offerings. Prime Money Market fund transitioned to Federal Money Market Fund if I recall (it has been a few years).

I was using Federal Money Market in an account that had Federal Money Market as a default.

Say what? Exactly!

I sold Federal Money Market. The proceeds moved to the default which was Federal Money Market.

The result was it simplified the account.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Scorpion Stare

Post by Scorpion Stare »

Are you holding ETFs or mutual funds in your brokerage account?

If they are mutual funds, you can still do an exchange in a single transaction. On the "Holdings" page, click the Transact link next to your retirement brokerage account, and choose Exchange (sell to buy) Vanguard funds from the drop-down menu that appears.

For more detailed instructions and screenshots, see: https://support.vanguard.com/tutorials/exchange-funds
Y

Post by Y »

Found out problem—was using vanguard new app on iPad. This does not show or allow exchanges.googled in at Vanguard log in instead of app and it allowed me to exchange— so app is very incomplete for this right now. Hope this helps someone else. Thanks for reply.sincerely y.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Namashkar and Y's threads into the ongoing discussion.

The software sorts by time. Namashkar's thread was started earlier than anon_investor and now appears as the first post.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Y wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:58 am Found out problem—was using vanguard new app on iPad. This does not show or allow exchanges.googled in at Vanguard log in instead of app and it allowed me to exchange— so app is very incomplete for this right now. Hope this helps someone else. Thanks for reply.sincerely y.
The new app is still missing a lot of functionality that the old app had, requiring you to use the website sometimes. I still find it annoying for my Vanguard brokerage account to make mutual fund purchases funded from an external bank account on the app. It is not one action, instead you also have to separately fund your settlement account. Vanguard has also modified the website to add this extra step too (although it prompts you to do this in the middle of your transaction, so it only adds 2 more clicks instead of even more for the app). I am not sure the benefit of making a simple transaction more complicated.

At least the new app displays cost basis now, but not being able to exchange mutual funds makes tax loss harvesting a pain. I stopped making new purchases in my Vanguard taxable brokerage account, and shifted new purchases to my Fidelity taxable brokerage account. I still have my Roth IRA at Vanguard, where I am only making purchases once a year.
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:42 am
Y wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:58 am Found out problem—was using vanguard new app on iPad. This does not show or allow exchanges.googled in at Vanguard log in instead of app and it allowed me to exchange— so app is very incomplete for this right now. Hope this helps someone else. Thanks for reply.sincerely y.
The new app is still missing a lot of functionality that the old app had, requiring you to use the website sometimes. I still find it annoying for my Vanguard brokerage account to make mutual fund purchases funded from an external bank account on the app. It is not one action, instead you also have to separately fund your settlement account. Vanguard has also modified the website to add this extra step too (although it prompts you to do this in the middle of your transaction, so it only adds 2 more clicks instead of even more for the app). I am not sure the benefit of making a simple transaction more complicated.

At least the new app displays cost basis now, but not being able to exchange mutual funds makes tax loss harvesting a pain. I stopped making new purchases in my Vanguard taxable brokerage account, and shifted new purchases to my Fidelity taxable brokerage account. I still have my Roth IRA at Vanguard, where I am only making purchases once a year.
The app seems to be getting better, but it's still frustrating that I can't exchange funds within the app (at least that I can figure out). I found a work-around thanks to a comment upthread, but it involves going to the website from the app. Pain.
"The big money is not in the buying and selling, but in the waiting." - Charles Munger
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Charles Joseph wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:05 am
anon_investor wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:42 am

The app seems to be getting better, but it's still frustrating that I can't exchange funds within the app (at least that I can figure out). I found a work-around thanks to a comment upthread, but it involves going to the website from the app. Pain.
The app has definitely gotten better. When the "new app" was first released it was so bad, I got frustrated that I opened up a taxable brokerage account at Fidelity. At this point, I don't send any new money to my Vanguard taxable brokerage, I just let the dividends automatically reinvest. I still do the backdoor Roth IRA at Vanguard, but since I am only making 1 purchase a year and no other transations, the need for a good app isn't as necessary.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Latest app update finally added the ability to filter performance by account. This is helpful since I have view full agent access to other family accounts which are hidden on my customized desktop view, but which I was previously unable to exclude from the performance calculations in the new app.
jocdoc

Post by jocdoc »

installed and deleted app today. It doesn't give you the option to select a funding method/source to purchase mutual funds that the desktop version offers.
On the plus side it correctly values my outside accounts whereas the desktop version still lists my six figure outside account as Zero dollars.

jc
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:45 pm Latest app update finally added the ability to filter performance by account. This is helpful since I have view full agent access to other family accounts which are hidden on my customized desktop view, but which I was previously unable to exclude from the performance calculations in the new app.
Tx for the update Cheez-It Guy.

Everytime I see your avatar pop-up, makes me hungry for some Cheez-It, but unfortunately I'm in a dry spell right now as my local Costco stopped selling them. They seem to come and go, and with Costco being our main grocery store, that's where I get them at. I could switch to Goldfish, but that is a disgrace to a true Cheez-It snack lover.

Anyhow, did Vanguard work out any kinks with Portfolio Watch such as being able to properly distinguish bonds? When I last tried >6 mo. ago, no matter if I made my ETF holding a mutual fund, or stock, it wouldn't classify my bonds. Perhaps this is the wrong thread to ask this since this thread pertains to the app.
bbrock
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

bbrock wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:49 am Tx for the update Cheez-It Guy.

Everytime I see your avatar pop-up, makes me hungry for some Cheez-It, but unfortunately I'm in a dry spell right now as my local Costco stopped selling them. They seem to come and go, and with Costco being our main grocery store, that's where I get them at. I could switch to Goldfish, but that is a disgrace to a true Cheez-It snack lover.
There’s no need to compromise your craving for Cheez-It.

Come to Sam’s Club instead. They carry Cheez-It. (And better tasting rotisserie chicken too IMHO.)
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Stinky wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:56 am
bbrock wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:49 am Tx for the update Cheez-It Guy.

There’s no need to compromise your craving for Cheez-It.

Come to Sam’s Club instead. They carry Cheez-It. (And better tasting rotisserie chicken too IMHO.)
"And better tasting rotisserie chicken too IMHO"
That would be a great comparison. I'd love to try it.
bbrock
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Stauffer's Whales are a pretty tasty and affordable compromise between Goldfish and Cheez-Its.
Oliver2020

Vanguard App

Post by Oliver2020 »

I have found the iOS Vanguard app to be convenient, but it appears to lack some important features; specifically a link to purchase Brokered CDs and Treasuries. Am I missing something? Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Oliver2020's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)