Vanguard's new mobile app (formerly known as "Beacon")

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
exodusNH

Re: Vanguard's new mobile app (formerly known as "Beacon")

Post by exodusNH »

quietseas wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:55 am
exodusNH wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:51 am
Other than that, it's perfect, though!
On a related note regarding Vanguard IT:
@exodusNH are you still in the fractional share pilot group and is it still available to you? Any changes or news on it?
I am. It still works well. No other communication from Vanguard on it.

As a reminder, it works only for Vanguard ETFs and you must place the dollar amount orders as a market order.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

exodusNH wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:08 am
@exodusNH are you still in the fractional share pilot group and is it still available to you? Any changes or news on it?

As a reminder, it works only for Vanguard ETFs and you must place the dollar amount orders as a market order.
Thanks, a good sign that its still ongoing not shut down, there's a chance it will eventually be available to others.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

quietseas wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:19 am
exodusNH wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:08 am

Thanks, a good sign that its still ongoing not shut down, there's a chance it will eventually be available to others.
I actually stopped my automatic MF purchases to use the ETF purchasing to show them there's interest in using it. (As if I make any difference to them!)

I haven't done much investing in the last months as I pay down a 0% credit card that will reset in a couple of month, plus free cash had been consumed by my Roth, a capital gain payment for an old American Funds holding I got tired of, home owner's insurance, and a mortgage refi in January.

I had turned off dividend reinvestments after some TLH and had a small amount of cash I dumped into BSV earlier this week. That's how I know it still works!

The interface is a bit screwy. On the buy screen, the amount text box has

SHARES
DOLLARS

listed in the box (in small type) in the far right. When you click dollars, the order type is set to market. The rest of the process is indistinguishable.

There's sometimes a penny or two left over. Purchases are at four decimal places and leave you a single tax lot.
BuzzyQ

Vanguard App

Post by BuzzyQ »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Does anyone know when Vanguard mobile app will be fully functional?
Cheez-It Guy

Re: Vanguard App

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

No, we do not.

I kept the old one.
starboi

Post by starboi »

Last week I called twice. The first time they told me that the app was a work in progress and they directed me to use the website. The second time they told me it would be fixed this week. I’m not holding my breath.

Even when it was “working,” it didn’t have options functionality. So who knows when it will.

Still can’t buy fractional shares on the web or the app, but apparently there is a beta.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged BuzzyQ's thread into the ongoing discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

starboi wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:49 pm Still can’t buy fractional shares on the web or the app, but apparently there is a beta.
Yes, though the website you can buy fractional shares of Vanguard's ETFs, though only as market orders.

I still have the old web app because I turned off automatic updates as a matter of course.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

exodusNH wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:13 pm
starboi wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:49 pm Still can’t buy fractional shares on the web or the app, but apparently there is a beta.
Yes, though the website you can buy fractional shares of Vanguard's ETFs, though only as market orders.

I still have the old web app because I turned off automatic updates as a matter of course.
Can anyone buy the fractional shares on the website, or only those in a beta test program? I do not currently but ETFs at Vanguard, so I have not attempted.
starboi

Post by starboi »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:29 pm

Can anyone buy the fractional shares on the website, or only those in a beta test program? I do not currently but ETFs at Vanguard, so I have not attempted.
I just checked and it wasn’t an option for me.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:29 pm

Beta, as far as I know. I was randomly selected a few months ago. I say random because I have a small taxable account and Roth with them. (Less than $200k). I had been doing weekly buys of VTSAX. I had only entered into the ETF space for my Roth, and could only buy whole shares then. So it wasn't like I was some frenetic trader.

Since I've been opted in, I haven't had any further contact from Vanguard. No follow up at all.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Thanks for your clarification. It was just the phrasing where you said, "you can buy". I'm clear now.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

So, what's the consensus now about the app? I still despise it and actually have never reopened it since I updated from the old version (which I regret doing). I purely only use the Vanguard website when I'm accessing my account from my iPhone.
bbrock
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Im still using the old app. Thankfully had auto update turned off!
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Vtsax100 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:26 am Im still using the old app. Thankfully had auto update turned off!
Envious of you Vtsax100. Until I can figure out how to code, let alone navigate apps on my iPhone :D , I'm stuck with the new one.
bbrock
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Vtsax100 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:26 am Im still using the old app. Thankfully had auto update turned off!
Envious of you Vtsax100. Until I can figure out how to code, let alone navigate apps on my iPhone :D , I'm stuck with the new one.
bbrock
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

bbrock wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:28 am
Envious of you Vtsax100. Until I can figure out how to code and rewind apps on the iPhone (let alone navigate apps :D ), I'm stuck with the new one.
bbrock
vileparle

Post by vileparle »

Ugh, I finally updated the iOS app last week, and discovered I no longer have the ability to check my individual 401(k) positions. Since that's the only account I have left at Vanguard, this week I started the process of moving it to Fidelity.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Be sure to get yourself a transfer bonus. Here's how: Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses (I received the transfer bonus 60 days later.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Vanguard has released version 12.11.0 of the app for iOS.

Per the description, “you can now access cost basis information to calculate capital gains and losses in your accounts.”

If Vanguard keeps adding features to the app at this pace, the app might actually be worth using in 2026 or so. :twisted:
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Fellow frustrated mobile-app users:

Once again, Vanguard's app is refusing to accept mobile checks when I've tried to add funds to my brokerage settlement account. It keeps giving me the following message after I've taken the picture of the BACK of the check and hit submit. Each attempt results in the same message. It is beyond frustrating and ridiculous:

"Sorry, something went wrong. We're having trouble reading your signature. Please take a new picture and try again."

The signature on the front of the check is perfectly legible and the image is very clear and readable.

I've turned up the brightness to the maximum on my iPhone and take pictures in a brightly-lit area with the check against a dark background.

I've also deleted the Vanguard app and re-installed but to no avail.

I've contacted my Flagship rep and sent images of the check I've tried to submit and the response was virtually useless.

Where can I find the old Vanguard app so that I can install that?? Thanks for your help.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Matahari wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:17 pm Fellow frustrated mobile-app users:

Once again, Vanguard's app is refusing to accept mobile checks when I've tried to add funds to my brokerage settlement account. It keeps giving me the following message after I've taken the picture of the BACK of the check and hit submit. Each attempt results in the same message. It is beyond frustrating and ridiculous:

"Sorry, something went wrong. We're having trouble reading your signature. Please take a new picture and try again."

The signature on the front of the check is perfectly legible and the image is very clear and readable.

I've turned up the brightness to the maximum on my iPhone and take pictures in a brightly-lit area with the check against a dark background.

I've contacted my Flagship rep and sent images of the check I've tried to submit and the response was virtually useless.

Where can I find the old Vanguard app so that I can install that?? Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately, if you updated to the new Vanguard app, there is no way to get the old one. One option that seems to help some people is to try the Vanguard app on a different device (e.g. if it doesn't work on your phone, try your tablet, etc.).
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

With an iPhone, you don't have an option to rollback. With Android, you might find someone who kept a copy of the APK, but then you'd have to sideload it, which I wouldn't do with a file from some Internet rando.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:26 pm

Unfortunately, if you updated to the new Vanguard app, there is no way to get the old one. One option that seems to help some people is to try the Vanguard app on a different device (e.g. if it doesn't work on your phone, try your tablet, etc.).

Thanks for the response. I don't use a tablet, so that's not an option.
I'm going to try to make the Flagship rep earn his keep! So far, he has offered to connect me with a tech support person while I try to deposit my mobile check! How ridiculous is that, as if there are other ways to take 2 pictures of the check.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

exodusNH wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:30 pm

With an iPhone, you don't have an option to rollback. With Android, you might find someone who kept a copy of the APK, but then you'd have to sideload it, which I wouldn't do with a file from some Internet rando.

Thanks for the response.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Sounds frustrating.

1) first, I’m curious how do you even have a flagship rep? That ceases to exist. If it did, many of us would still have ours.

2) do a mobile deposit to your checking account, for instance Ally, then just transfer the money to Vanguard.
bbrock
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

bbrock wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:15 pm Sounds frustrating.

1) first, I’m curious how do you even have a flagship rep? That ceases to exist. If it did, many of us would still have ours.

2) do a mobile deposit to your checking account, for instance Ally, then just transfer the money to Vanguard.
If you have $5M+ I think you still get assigned a dedicated Flagship rep.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Got it. Thanks for that update anon
bbrock
starboi

Post by starboi »

Can anyone place trades on this thing yet? Back in January or February, Vanguard told me that they would fix it "next week." It's still broken.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

starboi wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:44 pm Can anyone place trades on this thing yet? Back in January or February, Vanguard told me that they would fix it "next week." It's still broken.
Starboi

Yes transact tab has option to purchase, I have not tried it yet.

I am one of few who have fractional share capability, will try soon.

I am still not received upgrade to Flagship even though it has been a year since my balance went from 829k to 2.7 million since retiring a year ago.

Schlocky service what can I say?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

starboi wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:44 pm Can anyone place trades on this thing yet? Back in January or February, Vanguard told me that they would fix it "next week." It's still broken.
I have been able to place trades for a while. But you cannot do mutual fund exchanges or view individual tax lots, so you cannot effectively tax loss harvest with this app.
starboi

Post by starboi »

retire2022 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:12 pm
Starboi

I am still not received upgrade to Flagship even though it has been a year since my balance went from 829k to 2.7 million since retiring a year ago.

Yes, there is a transact button. It doesn't work.

I just reported them to Apple for fraud. The App Preview says you can Transact which is a lie.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

starboi wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:13 am
Starboi

I just reported them to Apple for fraud. The App Preview says you can Transact which is a lie.
I just sold mutual funds through the VG app yesterday.

Haven’t tried to buy anything through the app yet.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Stinky wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:38 pm
starboi wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:13 am
Starboi

I just sold mutual funds through the VG app yesterday.

Haven’t tried to buy anything through the app yet.
I have purchased VTSAX via the android app with no issues.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Update: mobile check deposit feature still not working with "new" iPhone app. (Note that I never had problem with the "old" iPhone app.)

The same ridiculous message keeps coming up about app not being able to "read the signature" when the preview image shows a clear and legible image.

And, yes, I can use ACH to transfer funds to Vanguard from our checking account and have done so. But there is one particular account that is not linked to Vanguard from which written checks are issued by necessity. The solution proposed by Vanguard reps is mailing the check(s) to Vanguard. How quaint!
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

We have a separate Vanguard account for our separately named LLC that we use to deposit income and write checks upon. Mobile check deposit in the app worked fine until we agreed to switch to the brokerage format more than several years ago. There was no notice, just not available for brokerage. Our Flagship rep kept promising it was coming back "soon". Turned out it was 3(?) years before they released the new app, but it has never worked for our LLC Account, labelled as "Professional Account". Again several years since that happened and promises of "coming soon for your type of account".

For most incoming checks we would mobile deposit to BOA and ACH to Vanguard. If checks were over our BOA mobile deposit limit we had to mail it in to Vanguard, now in El Paso. Print a deposit ticket (no more tickets routinely provided and can't be ordered at Vanguard.) Mail it in, wait for it to be received. They do provide SESE if you ask.

A couple of months ago BOA raised our mobile deposit limit but in the process will no longer accept a check made out to our LLC instead of our personal names on the account. So we now must mail any and all checks to El Paso.

In the app we can only see the totals in the account, but cannot transact.

"coming soon for your type of account; go to vanguard.com online to see your account"

We'd switch to Fidelity or someone else, but would have to submit and go through all the paperwork to do so, so mail it is.
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

I like how the app shows performance returns by dollar amount individually in each account.
"The big money is not in the buying and selling, but in the waiting." - Charles Munger
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Charles Joseph wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:39 pm I like how the app shows performance returns by dollar amount individually in each account.
I wish that display could be turned off. I miss the old app.
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:56 pm
Charles Joseph wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:39 pm I like how the app shows performance returns by dollar amount individually in each account.
I like the color in the new app.
"The big money is not in the buying and selling, but in the waiting." - Charles Munger
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Charles Joseph wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:06 pm
(Talk about faint praise.....)
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Stinky wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:51 pm
The designer of the current app was more concerned with color that usability...
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

And the choice of fonts.
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:57 pm
Seriously, 12 thread pages wasted on this? I go on there, sell shares, buy shares, transfer funds to and from my bank account. I mean what you want the app to do? Detail your car?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Charles Joseph wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:57 pm
anon_investor wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:57 pm

Seriously, 12 thread pages wasted on this? I go on there, sell shares, buy shares, transfer funds to and from my bank account. I mean what you want the app to do? Detail your car?
You can no longer effectively tax loss harvest mutual funds in the app. Lost are the abilities (1) to view individual tax lots and choose which ones to sell for effective tax loss harvesting and (2) to "exchange" mutual funds (TLH without being out of the market). You also ccan no longer fund mutual fund purchases from a bank account on the app. Why add the extra step of funding a settlement fund first?
anthonypals

Is vanguards app really that bad?

Post by anthonypals »

Did some research on using vanguard for ETF IRAs and I see a ton of hate for the new app. Is it really that bad?
Brianmcg321

Re: Is vanguards app really that bad?

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I have never had any issues with it.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

It's mainly "bad" as judged by a skewed older and more demanding crowd because of comparison to the old app and both real and perceived loss of functionality, not necessarily because it's so objectively bad.

If you never used the old version of the app, you might find the current one quite tolerable.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

My only gripe with it is that you can’t do a combined deposit/buy like you can on the website. Otherwise it does everting I need to do.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

My gripes with the app:

1. You cannot effectively TLH because:
-You can't see/sell individual tax lots
- You can't "exchange" mutual funds

2. You can fund mutual fund purchases directly from a bank account (you must first fund your settlement account)

These are all things you can do on the website and the old mobile app.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

You can read the 12 pages here:
viewtopic.php?t=355682