Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Silentnight

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

Post by Silentnight »

I’m a 66 yo social worker and probably made $68k in 2021. I have about $700k in retirement. I don’t want to take SS yet. I’m not sure that I am retiring, but I am quitting, and I’m not sure I’ll look for another job. I had planned to work until 2025. My current plan is to end work 7/1/22.

The EHR, Electronic Health Record system, is what did me in. The computer work is overwhelming. There is no life/work balance. I don’t have any hope that it will get better. What will I do when I quit/retire? Dunno. My job consumes my time and allows no time for socializing. I’m not sure I remember how to interact socially with people! but I’d like to try. I financially give to a women’s recovery home. I’d like to do some volunteer work there. Maybe join a gym depending on CoVid. Depending on finances, since I don’t want to claim SS yet, and depending on CoVid, I would like to travel stateside using tour groups (chance to socialize and appreciate our country). I love my clients, but I need to leave.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Barkingsparrow wrote: DW and I have planned for me to retire 12/31/22 (I'll be 64), while she would keep working another 18 months until she is 65 so that we can go on her health insurance at her job. I admit I'm fighting the OMY syndrome though. I am expecting a promotion next year that will not add much more to my current responsibilities, job is full-time remote, and I have great managers and co-workers. There's little in the way of job negatives that makes me want to retire - other than the fact that I've worked for 40 years non-stop.
Well, this is a conundrum --> retire without necessity while wife continues working, or continue working one more year with little in the way of job negatives while wife continues working. And the main urge to retire now is to stop working already after working 40 years non-stop, enough is enough, although OMY would not be bad.

Any helpful ideas, fellow classmates? :confused

First Q --> could you really use the extra money or would it be quite helpful to have the extra working money, considering it's not a big output of stress and dislike to earn it for OMY? -- or is the extra :moneybag simply not important?

Second Q --> for me if I were in your situation, one key factor would be --> what would I do for the entire day with my new-found free time? After 40 years of working non-stop, it will certainly be a great well-deserved pleasure to stop working. But there will be that large sea of endless free time without routines, and being adrift in that endless sea can feel demoralizing and depressing.

You might enjoy THIS recent Bogleheads Zoom meeting hosted by the Pre-Retirement & Retirement Life Stage Chapters, with a presentation by Jill Steinberg, PhD, on the emotional side of retirement. They are having a follow-up zoom meeting with her on Wed. Feb. 23, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET which I predict everyone will find very interesting and helpful :D

https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

Jill Steinberg Mini-Series Session 1 hosted by Pre/Early and Retirement Life Stage Chapters
Zoom meeting/presentation
When: Wed. February 23, 2022, 8pm – 10pm ET
Guest speaker Jill Steinberg, Ph.D. Mini-series Session 1 - "Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring"
Topic: Making the retirement experience successful and purposeful. Note: this is not a financial discussion per se.

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern
barkingsparrow wrote:We just signed with Planvision (due to the good reviews here) to get a sanity check on our finances.
Yes, there were several very interesting Bogleheads zoom meetings featuring the Planvision fellows. How has it worked out for you?

Meanwhile, you're on the Retirement Roll Call for the Class of 2022 :happy Keep us posted and we'll simply re-boot you if you change your plans!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

D Newton wrote: I'm in!! I am joining the ranks of the retired. I notified HR last month that January 2022 will be the end.

Age 65
Wife 58

Relieved and excited, but 'tinged' with a bit of trepidation. I have never not worked, but now I am looking forward to traveling with my wife and dogs in our RV; we have trips planned nearly each month beginning in February; and in between traveling working on my guitar and golf skills, or lack thereof. The advice provided on this forum, however, has given me the confidence to know we'll be fine.
Thank you all. :sharebeer
Way to go D Newton!! What a great way to begin the New Year! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and the Class of 2022 :D

Oohh for sure there's gonna be a bit of trepidation - you're like so many of us, never not worked. And for so many, there's that endless sea of unlimited free time without routines. It's hard to orient oneself. But you have good plans, I mean traveling with wife and dogs in an RV will take up lots of time :!: and working on your guitar and golf skills should be good times.

We hope everything works out as you plan and that you enjoy every minute of your new freedom! Keep us posted as you RV around the country 8-)
john0608

Post by john0608 »

my 2 cents
just retiring in a few days on 1/3/22 - 65.5 yo - was planning to work till 66/67 even though i have invested and planned well and i had the ability to retire since age 63 but did enjoy my job so i stayed especially since i wfh during covid. My wife is 62 and will work at least till end of 22 - we both are on her benefits for 22.

if you like your job stay another year but if circumstances are difficult then you should leave
- i had planned to stay but things change quickly in our age group, due to turnover at the top and domino effect of multiple reorgs & new mgmt i had to make a choice. Stay put and work 2x harder for a year and then leave or leave now. i was not inclined to 'start over' and then retire after a year of hassles. plus after 42 years you get sick of doing the white collar shuffle of budgeting, appraisals, creating goals, creating strategies, offsite meetings, worshops, it never ends for mid level mgmt, plus you actually must deliver on key initiatives.

the way i am taking things - grandkids, travel, golf, midsized home projects, get my retirement finances fine-tuned and then see if i have an itch to work in 6 months (which i doubt but ya never know). so the uneasiness and trepidation will be there no matter what, my feelings are there are enough bad things about work that at least entitle you to give retirement a shot - you can always work somewhere part time if you are climbing the walls after a few months...good luck to all new retirees.
StewedCarrot

Post by StewedCarrot »

Retiring in February after ~25 years in the service. I'm an under-50/early retiree.

With kids still at home, I feel guilty stepping away from work; but I am happy to leave the stress of middle-management behind. Wife is also happy to restart a career after a hiatus for kids and overseas duty. Overall, we're looking forward to starting a new phase in life!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bad1bill wrote: I'm done as of Jan 2, 2022. I am 70 and DW is 66. She retired about a year ago.

Been working for the same tourism-related company for 40+ years and have loved my career. I will miss many aspects and friends I have made over the years. But the time is right to move on to the next adventure.
You're on this Great Retirement Roll Call, bad1bill, and we're happy to welcome you to the Class of 2022! You'll be one of the first retirees of the class and also --> {great fanfare & applause 🎉 🎉 } you're in the running for the Very Coveted Award of Oldest Retiree :D
note- we mean "oldest" in terms of plain years, not energy or style or pizzazz :wink:
bad1bill wrote:My first thought was to ski as many days as possible but conditions had been poor here in Colorado so I was bummed about that, however, Yahweh took pity on me and dumped a lot of snow in our state the last few days with more to come. So that's first on the list as the resorts clear out after Xmas break....

Plan on riding my mountain bike more, getting the Jeep out to the Colorado high country (and Utah and Arizona and Nevada, etc.) in the summer and working on the little Americana acoustic band I'm in (we played 40 dates in 2021 so we're already doing decently...)

In other words, my plate is already full and I'm excited!

Thanks to the many members on this forum who have provided excellent advice as I approach this milestone.
What a splendid beginning to retirement! A full plate of adventure and energetic activity - I'm exhausted just reading your plans. We hope you achieve all you set out to do and that you do even more than you think you can :beer We wish you continued good health and wealth - please let us know how retirement goes :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Silentnight wrote: I’m a 66 yo social worker and probably made $68k in 2021. I have about $700k in retirement. I don’t want to take SS yet. I’m not sure that I am retiring, but I am quitting, and I’m not sure I’ll look for another job. I had planned to work until 2025. My current plan is to end work 7/1/22.
Hi Silentnight! . . . .retiring . . . .quitting . . . not looking for another job . . . it's all the same ==>> you're punching out of the rat race :D Welcome to this Most Enjoyable Retirement Roll Call and Class of 2022!
Silentnight wrote:The EHR, Electronic Health Record system, is what did me in. The computer work is overwhelming. There is no life/work balance. I don’t have any hope that it will get better. What will I do when I quit/retire? Dunno. My job consumes my time and allows no time for socializing. I’m not sure I remember how to interact socially with people! but I’d like to try. I financially give to a women’s recovery home. I’d like to do some volunteer work there. Maybe join a gym depending on CoVid. Depending on finances, since I don’t want to claim SS yet, and depending on CoVid, I would like to travel stateside using tour groups (chance to socialize and appreciate our country).
Well THAT job has got to go. I thought computers were supposed to make life easier, not harder :annoyed Can't have a long haul job that consumes all your time and allows no time for living life, especially after working for so many years. Retirement will be a welcome relief. Even if you return to some form of work, volunteer or part time, you won't be compelled to stay in the dungeon :happy

It looks like you have some nice active plans in the works - we hope they work out for you. And as for finances - well, you know who to ask! :D
Silentnight wrote:I love my clients, but I need to leave.
Very kind, we understand and wish you a very well-deserved retirement with good health and energy to accomplish all the fun things you have planned. :D
Californian

Post by Californian »

July 2022 for us. What will we do? travel for 6 months for a start, then settle down with the new life we have designed.
trallium

Post by trallium »

If I attain 50 whole years of age before my separation from service, I’ll have healthcare for life; $40k/year pension w/COLA; $40k/year SS at 70; $400k in my 457(b) [no age limit to dip into this]; $600k in 403(b) [convert to Roth before RMD]; $120k in Roth IRA. HCOL condo with equity and mortgage; LCOL inherited property near a college that I rent out (old Mill house that won’t qualify for HFA loan, resale is low but rent pays taxes etc. + profit + bug out location). I was born in 1972.

I’ve already worked more than half my life for my employer; even had a work permit to work here in high school, but that stint does not count towards retirement. But I have more than half my life on this stint.

I thought I was going to be able to quit 120 days before my 50th; just learned of group insurance regulations part iv annuitant health section 6002 eligibility that says I need to attain 50 whole years of age before my separation date to qualify for the healthcare for life benefit, I thought I was like 90 days away from separation from service, but it’s more like 230. I’m just so burned out from years of non-stop work. But, heath care for life is probably worth 120 more days of insane work environment.

If I walk away today, my sick leave won’t convert to service credit and I won’t get healthcare— but I would get $38k/ year lifetime pension with COLA at 50.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

john0608 wrote: my 2 cents
just retiring in a few days on 1/3/22 - 65.5 yo - was planning to work till 66/67 even though i have invested and planned well and i had the ability to retire since age 63 but did enjoy my job so i stayed especially since i wfh during covid. My wife is 62 and will work at least till end of 22 - we both are on her benefits for 22.

if you like your job stay another year but if circumstances are difficult then you should leave
- i had planned to stay but things change quickly in our age group, due to turnover at the top and domino effect of multiple reorgs & new mgmt i had to make a choice. Stay put and work 2x harder for a year and then leave or leave now. i was not inclined to 'start over' and then retire after a year of hassles. plus after 42 years you get sick of doing the white collar shuffle of budgeting, appraisals, creating goals, creating strategies, offsite meetings, worshops, it never ends for mid level mgmt, plus you actually must deliver on key initiatives.

the way i am taking things - grandkids, travel, golf, midsized home projects, get my retirement finances fine-tuned and then see if i have an itch to work in 6 months (which i doubt but ya never know). so the uneasiness and trepidation will be there no matter what, my feelings are there are enough bad things about work that at least entitle you to give retirement a shot - you can always work somewhere part time if you are climbing the walls after a few months...good luck to all new retirees.
Hi john0608! Thanks so much for posting your thoughts on The Retirement Decision. I'm sure many Bogleheads have found your thoughts very useful, lots to think about 8-)

OK, we'll put you on the Roll Call and if you change your mind, we'll simply re-boot you! Seems like a good time to retire and start living the way you want, doing what you want with family and friends. Time marches on.

Welcome to the Retirement Class of 2022! We wish you a great retirement and hope you really enjoy it without regrets. Please let us know how you fine-tune your finances!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

StewedCarrot wrote: Retiring in February after ~25 years in the service. I'm an under-50/early retiree.

With kids still at home, I feel guilty stepping away from work; but I am happy to leave the stress of middle-management behind. Wife is also happy to restart a career after a hiatus for kids and overseas duty. Overall, we're looking forward to starting a new phase in life!
Sounds great! We give you a big thanks for your many years of service and for sure, you're looking at a well-deserved retirement. We wish you all the best in starting your new phase of life - you're gonna love it :D

Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and the Class of 2022! Please keep us posted on what you do and how your plans work out.
numerica

Post by numerica »

Just turned in my notice - January 31 will be my last day at work. Love my job but but it is time to move on.
DW retired last year. We are looking forward to travel, visiting family and friends around the country and overseas as Covid permits, enjoying national parks, attending 50th high school reunion, picking up Spanish, and tending to projects around the house. No grandkids, but a rescue will have our full attention and love after we have scratched the travel itch.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Californian wrote: July 2022 for us. What will we do? travel for 6 months for a start, then settle down with the new life we have designed.
Hi Californian! Welcome to the Bogleheads and welcome to this Most Highly Respected Retirement Roll Call 8-)

Good plans - travel 6 months then settle down with your new life you designed. Please share your glidepath into retirement. How's the :moneybag situation (we're not bashful LOL!). We wish you good times with the open road ahead of you, lots of enjoyable activities :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

trallium wrote: If I attain 50 whole years of age before my separation from service, I’ll have healthcare for life; $40k/year pension w/COLA; $40k/year SS at 70; $400k in my 457(b) [no age limit to dip into this]; $600k in 403(b) [convert to Roth before RMD]; $120k in Roth IRA. HCOL condo with equity and mortgage; LCOL inherited property near a college that I rent out (old Mill house that won’t qualify for HFA loan, resale is low but rent pays taxes etc. + profit + bug out location). I was born in 1972.

I’ve already worked more than half my life for my employer; even had a work permit to work here in high school, but that stint does not count towards retirement. But I have more than half my life on this stint.

I thought I was going to be able to quit 120 days before my 50th; just learned of group insurance regulations part iv annuitant health section 6002 eligibility that says I need to attain 50 whole years of age before my separation date to qualify for the healthcare for life benefit, I thought I was like 90 days away from separation from service, but it’s more like 230. I’m just so burned out from years of non-stop work. But, heath care for life is probably worth 120 more days of insane work environment.

If I walk away today, my sick leave won’t convert to service credit and I won’t get healthcare— but I would get $38k/ year lifetime pension with COLA at 50.
Hi trallium and welcome to the Bogleheads!

Oohh, the healthcare elephant. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. For me, I'd probably stick it out as best I could in order to receive the healthcare for life benefit. A thought - don't underestimate the importance of good solid healthcare, and if it's for life, it may be worth the extra work, as tiring and dragging as that may be. Especially if it's only the 120 days extra, that's 4 months, time goes quickly and before you know it, you'll be half-way there, then you'll be done.

If you want, post your post for the Bogleheads forum to look at and comment on. You may receive some helpful answers :happy

Meanwhile, welcome to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call and to the Class of 2022! When your plans firm up, let me know where to put you! We wish you all the best in planning your retirement and successfully negotiating your glidepath 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

numerica wrote: Just turned in my notice - January 31 will be my last day at work. Love my job but but it is time to move on.
DW retired last year. We are looking forward to travel, visiting family and friends around the country and overseas as Covid permits, enjoying national parks, attending 50th high school reunion, picking up Spanish, and tending to projects around the house. No grandkids, but a rescue will have our full attention and love after we have scratched the travel itch.
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, numerica! and thank you for sharing your retirement plans with your 2022 classmates 8-)

We hope you're able to enjoy all the fun things you've planned without that 9-5 stress weighing on your shoulders. Remember - learning Spanish goes best with a delicious mojito :mrgreen: Have a long, healthy, and active retirement and don't lose your money! :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here's the most recent Roll Call list for the upcoming Retirement Class of 2022 8-)

And 2022 will be here in a blink & a drink :D

:arrow: If you wish to join this Fabulous 2022 Retirement Class, post your post, get your papers in order, then tell the boss you're OUT!

01 Jan - beernutz
01 Jan - old medic
01 Jan - Methos1979 (age 60)
02 Jan - bad1bill (70)
03 Jan - john0608 (65)
06 Jan - jamacq
07 Jan - Whatyear? (62)
29 Jan - Mrs Taz (58)
31 Jan - numerica
__ Jan - D Newton (65)

02 Feb - Escapevelocity (55)
__ Feb - StewedCarrot (under 50)

__ Mar - GG1273 (63)
__ Mar - deserat (58)

01 Apr - averagedude (52)

01 May - sean.mcgrath (57)
31 May - Bronko
__ May - Bass4
__ May - Tjb (63)
__ May - usa (56)
__ May - SunRainSnow (49)

01 Jun - Newby61 (61)
30 Jun - Runyer (63)

01 Jul - Viking65 (56)
01 Jul - MikeWillRetire (60)
01 Jul - Silentnight (66)
05 Jul - BogleFan84 (62)
__ Jul - Californian

01 Aug - augryphon (60)
01 Aug - tooluser (56)
31 Aug - blackburnian (65)
31 Aug - Feijao (53)

__ Oct - texas lawdog (52)
__ Oct - jjunk (48)

31 Dec - fatcoffeedrinker (54)
31 Dec - AngelFIRE (52)
31 Dec - Jtdmn
31 Dec - Live Simple
31 Dec - Barkingsparrow (64)
__ Dec - shiftyg (54)

__ ___ - WyomingFIRE (58)
__ ___ - txbear55 (66)
__ ___ - rocket123 (57)
__ ___ - rich126
__ ___ - trallium (50)

The Infinity Retirement Class 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020/2021/2022 . . . to infinity and beyond!! . . .)
HomerJ (class of 2021/2022 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .)
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:45 pm Well, this is a conundrum --> retire without necessity while wife continues working, or continue working one more year with little in the way of job negatives while wife continues working. And the main urge to retire now is to stop working already after working 40 years non-stop, enough is enough, although OMY would not be bad.

Any helpful ideas, fellow classmates? :confused

First Q --> could you really use the extra money or would it be quite helpful to have the extra working money, considering it's not a big output of stress and dislike to earn it for OMY? -- or is the extra :moneybag simply not important?

Second Q --> for me if I were in your situation, one key factor would be --> what would I do for the entire day with my new-found free time? After 40 years of working non-stop, it will certainly be a great well-deserved pleasure to stop working. But there will be that large sea of endless free time without routines, and being adrift in that endless sea can feel demoralizing and depressing.

You might enjoy THIS recent Bogleheads Zoom meeting hosted by the Pre-Retirement & Retirement Life Stage Chapters, with a presentation by Jill Steinberg, PhD, on the emotional side of retirement. They are having a follow-up zoom meeting with her on Wed. Feb. 23, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET which I predict everyone will find very interesting and helpful :D

https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

Jill Steinberg Mini-Series Session 1 hosted by Pre/Early and Retirement Life Stage Chapters
Zoom meeting/presentation
When: Wed. February 23, 2022, 8pm – 10pm ET
Guest speaker Jill Steinberg, Ph.D. Mini-series Session 1 - "Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring"
Topic: Making the retirement experience successful and purposeful. Note: this is not a financial discussion per se.

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern
Thanks for the very thoughtful reply Miriam and the link to the seminar. I just had our initial preview meeting with Planvision to go over the data we need and I liked what they had to say and some of their questions has me thinking in more detail as to the financial structure of retirement. We meet with Mark Zorril later this month. I've been spending a lot of time with their EM Planner program which is very helpful in putting together a big-picture perspective.

First Q-> I've already lost that desire for materialistic acquisition and really am not one to spend on fancy cars, electronics, or the like; so most big spending will be on travel or more work on the house. More money, while nice is not necessary at this point. From the expenses POV - w are nearly at 30x and should reach that next year. One thing in my mind was not to put too much of a burden on my wife in terms of being the one carrying the health-care - she is one year younger and would have about 1.5 years after I retire before she could retire. We've already set *her* date for retirement irrespective of when I retire. She is actually encouraging me to retire at the end of this year.

Second Q-> Yes - this is something as to which I've given some thought. I'm not a big believer in extrapolating what I'm going to be doing in retirement from where I stand now as being employed - I think it's something that has to be figured out after some initial decompression period. I know for sure I need to have a structure in the daily retirement life. At one point a number of years ago, I was thinking - once I retire I'm going to spend so much time working on my golf game and get my handicap down below 10.... Now, I have no desire whatsoever to play golf. So who knows how I will actually feel? It might take some degree of boredom onset to push me into investigating new things to try.

I think another point is - the full-time remote might make it easier to retire from an emotional POV. I'm no longer around people at the office - I have far less social interaction with people from work - mostly just via work Zoom meetings or some chats. In a sense, the work social interaction is nearly at the level of just reading the Bogleheads forums, or live Youtube channels.
hoeboe

Post by hoeboe »

49 yo with 49 yo spouse (w/ health issues). I am pulling the plug anticipating March or April 1. RSUs and NQSOs vest on around January 31 and profit sharing and 2021 bonus deposited in February. I'll have enough PTO banked to quit working for all of February and most of March.

Manager knows my intentions. I took several months of unpaid time off last year and told him mid-year that I plan to not work starting about this time. He has never brought it up again. He can't say I didn't warn him!

I have subsidized retiree health care to carry me until medicare and ACA as a backup.

I'm looking forward to spend as much time as possible with my spouse both at home and traveling (COVID willing), ride my bikes a lot more, make and drink wine, walk, read, and pick up new hobbies. Maybe kayaking, backpacking, or other outdoor activities.

Both excited and dreading that final conversation with my manager. There's a possibility he'll suggest I take an indeterminate length, unpaid LOA. This would be functionally the same as retirement except about $10k a year less benefits cost to me and my RSUs and NQSOs would continue vesting. I'd love it if he was able to wrangle a severance package but doubt I'll be that lucky!
macman_65

Post by macman_65 »

I worked part time for 4 months in 2021. 2022 will be my first full year of retirement. I am 56.
Getting ready to mail in form to begin 72(t) SEPP withdrawals, beginning this month, on one of two IRA's.

This year's income will be SEPP on the one IRA plus residual from 2020 CARES withdrawal.
Next year I will initiate 72(t)/SEPP on second IRA.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

sean.mcgrath wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:21 am
It is a premonition at this point, but please pencil me in for May 1st.
So much for premonitions, and I'm glad that you used a pencil Miriam.

Please shift me to May 2023. What with pandemics and acquisitions, I don't feel great about leaving my group just yet. Besides, the work is still fun.

Investments have sailed past 50x expenses, so I need to either get a new expensive hobby or definitely pull the cord next year. :P

Cheers,
Sean
Last edited by sean.mcgrath on Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:54 pm
fatcoffeedrinker wrote:
Very few partners in biglaw retire before 60, most stay until 65+ so it is going to a big surprise when I give them the news at 53 - watch out! you'll be bombarded with "what are you going to do all day??" :annoyed
To my astonishment, this is really a thing. I first got the question from a nephew-in-law, and was too stunned to reply. When my (pre-company acquisition) boss asked me, I was prepared. 8-)

My standard reply is now: "I didn't take my first job because I was bored -- I had plenty of things to do. I took it because I needed money, and I don't anymore." :beer
BigWave Dave

Post by BigWave Dave »

Please add me to the list.Last day is June 15th at 6am{working 12hr shift at 6pm on the 14th]Will have over 38yrs in electric production and be 61.5 yrs old.Working rotating 12hr shifts is really taking a toll on me.I have worked so many holidays, birthdays ect ect that days of the week don't mean anything any more its just days on and days off and they want us to work on our days off because they are so short staffed.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

sean.mcgrath wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:19 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:54 pm
fatcoffeedrinker wrote:
Very few partners in biglaw retire before 60, most stay until 65+ so it is going to a big surprise when I give them the news at 53 - watch out! you'll be bombarded with "what are you going to do all day??" :annoyed
To my astonishment, this is really a thing. I first got the question from a nephew-in-law, and was too stunned to reply. When my (pre-company acquisition) boss asked me, I was prepared. 8-)

My standard reply is now: "I didn't take my first job because I was bored -- I had plenty of things to do. I took it because I needed money, and I don't anymore." :beer
This is 8-)
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

Gave notice this morning! Plan on working part-time for 2-3 months while my role is transitioned, but then I'm done!
thrifty_one

Post by thrifty_one »

Here to answer roll call for retirement in 2022! Planning for anytime after tax day (and daughter's last tuition payment!).. DW wil be 55 and i'll be 56. Over Christmas break, my daughter's been already asking us what we're going to do all day and after ~35 yrs for myself in IT and DW working 27 yrs in a busy Hospital Emergency Dept , for now we'll let time decide what we'll do. We're a bit in disbelief that we've made it this far and never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd actually get here. I remember back in I believe 1989 and our HR person (small company) had meetings with each employee and set my auto-investment to 2035 fund - never thought this day would come! Congrats to all who've toiled, answered those 3am calls from work, pinched those budgets and invested with the idea of meeting this goal someday. Wow!
LBYM
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Showed up for a salary negotiation meeting today with all my stuff - company laptop, cell phone, credit card, etc.

Announced to the VP and the Sales/Marketing Director I was retiring immediately. Shook hands and got out.

Company's longest surviving employee. June would have been 25 years. I turn 55 this spring.

:sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

hoeboe wrote: 49 yo with 49 yo spouse (w/ health issues). I am pulling the plug anticipating March or April 1. RSUs and NQSOs vest on around January 31 and profit sharing and 2021 bonus deposited in February. I'll have enough PTO banked to quit working for all of February and most of March.

Manager knows my intentions. I took several months of unpaid time off last year and told him mid-year that I plan to not work starting about this time. He has never brought it up again. He can't say I didn't warn him!

I have subsidized retiree health care to carry me until medicare and ACA as a backup.
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, hoeboe, and we're very happy to have you joining the Class of 2022 :D We'll pencil you in for April 1, how does that sound? You can let us know any changes when details firm up. Looks like you have a good glidepath into retirement and you have all our best wishes for good health.
hoeboe wrote:I'm looking forward to spend as much time as possible with my spouse both at home and traveling (COVID willing), ride my bikes a lot more, make and drink wine, walk, read, and pick up new hobbies. Maybe kayaking, backpacking, or other outdoor activities.
Nice plans! How do you make wine? :idea:
hoeboe wrote:Both excited and dreading that final conversation with my manager. There's a possibility he'll suggest I take an indeterminate length, unpaid LOA. This would be functionally the same as retirement except about $10k a year less benefits cost to me and my RSUs and NQSOs would continue vesting. I'd love it if he was able to wrangle a severance package but doubt I'll be that lucky!
Never give up, hoeboe! You may be lucky! We're all pulling for you :beer

Keep us posted on your plans. We hope everything works out exactly as you wish and that you and your family enjoy moving into retirement and all the many relaxing and pleasurable opportunities open to you. :D
SunRainSnow

Post by SunRainSnow »

Atilla wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:16 pm Showed up for a salary negotiation meeting today with all my stuff - company laptop, cell phone, credit card, etc.

Announced to the VP and the Sales/Marketing Director I was retiring immediately. Shook hands and got out.

Company's longest surviving employee. June would have been 25 years. I turn 55 this spring.

WOW. I can't imagine giving zero notice unless I was very upset with my employer. Twenty five years of knowledge just walking out, I'm sure the VP and Director must have needed to go home and change their boxers after that news.

I'm sure you'll be a cube legend for years!

Congratulations though.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

macman_65 wrote: I worked part time for 4 months in 2021. 2022 will be my first full year of retirement. I am 56.
Getting ready to mail in form to begin 72(t) SEPP withdrawals, beginning this month, on one of two IRA's.

This year's income will be SEPP on the one IRA plus residual from 2020 CARES withdrawal.
Next year I will initiate 72(t)/SEPP on second IRA.
Sounds like good plans, macman_65! Changing the mindset to the "withdrawal" mindset is not easy for many; we wish you the best of the best in having everything work out for you :beer

You're on this Splendid Retirement Roll Call and a welcome member of the Class of 2022 :D Please share your hopes and plans for this next great time of life - we wish you a long, happy, healthy retirement with good times and warm memories!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

sean.mcgrath wrote: It is a premonition at this point, but please pencil me in for May 1st.
sean.mcgrath wrote: So much for premonitions, and I'm glad that you used a pencil Miriam.

Please shift me to May 2023. What with pandemics and acquisitions, I don't feel great about leaving my group just yet. Besides, the work is still fun.

Investments have sailed past 50x expenses, so I need to either get a new expensive hobby or definitely pull the cord next year. :P

Cheers,
Sean
Thanks for the update, Sean, and we'll keep using a pencil until you sign out from that job :D You may be first on the Roll Call for 2023!

Happy to hear your work is still fun and your investments are billowing up LOL! So, all you're doing is making money so you need an expensive hobby?? Well, how about buying a large old sailboat and keeping it in South Florida year 'round, moored out in the bay :mrgreen:
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:13 am
Well, how about buying a large old sailboat and keeping it in South Florida year 'round, moored out in the bay :mrgreen:
Not a bad suggestion, Miriam, but it would go in Lake Michigan :-)

We have a little one here, but anything bigger will need to be a rental. Since the pandemic, it seems my only outlet for blowing the budget has been wines. :beer
BobB

Post by BobB »

I'm retiring March 1, 2022 after 33 years with my employer and almost 40 years in the state retirement system, (FRS). My wife and I both turn 69 this year and already collect social secutity. No immediate plans. Just relax, smell the roses and travel when thing are a little safer.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

BobB wrote: I'm retiring March 1, 2022 after 33 years with my employer and almost 40 years in the state retirement system, (FRS). My wife and I both turn 69 this year and already collect social security. No immediate plans. Just relax, smell the roses and travel when thing are a little safer.
Welcome to the 2022 Bogleheads Retirement Roll Call, BobB, probably the most highly sought-after goal in the working universe 8-) You're on the roster and before you know it, you'll be punching out and enjoying your next adventures!

And we noticed that you have been a Boglehead for 14 years!! Since Jan 2008 :D Why, you remember the old days LOL - and your portfolio must be a real treasure. We wish you all the best with a long, healthy and enjoyable retirement :beer
P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary »

Add me to the list for April 1, 2022. Collect one more bonus and fund annual amounts for 401k and HSA until then.

Will continue reading this forum to gain knowledge and hopefully pass some along at times.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

P&C actuary wrote: Add me to the list for April 1, 2022. Collect one more bonus and fund annual amounts for 401k and HSA until then.

Will continue reading this forum to gain knowledge and hopefully pass some along at times.
Thank you for providing your information, P&C actuary, and we'll add you to the Class of 2022! For sure, collect all that :moneybag before checking out. Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call :D

With all your free time in retirement :wink: you could just read the Bogleheads forum all day and pass along all the great knowledge you learn! Keep us posted on your retirement adventures and let us know what else you're doing. We wish you a long, happy and enjoyable retirement!
hoeboe

Post by hoeboe »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:27 am
hoeboe wrote: 49 yo with 49 yo spouse (w/ health issues). I am pulling the plug anticipating March or April 1. RSUs and NQSOs vest on around January 31 and profit sharing and 2021 bonus deposited in February. I'll have enough PTO banked to quit working for all of February and most of March.

Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, hoeboe, and we're very happy to have you joining the Class of 2022 :D We'll pencil you in for April 1, how does that sound? You can let us know any changes when details firm up. Looks like you have a good glidepath into retirement and you have all our best wishes for good health.
hoeboe wrote:I'm looking forward to spend as much time as possible with my spouse both at home and traveling (COVID willing), ride my bikes a lot more, make and drink wine, walk, read, and pick up new hobbies. Maybe kayaking, backpacking, or other outdoor activities.
Nice plans! How do you make wine? :idea:
hoeboe wrote:Both excited and dreading that final conversation with my manager. There's a possibility he'll suggest I take an indeterminate length, unpaid LOA. This would be functionally the same as retirement except about $10k a year less benefits cost to me and my RSUs and NQSOs would continue vesting. I'd love it if he was able to wrangle a severance package but doubt I'll be that lucky!
Never give up, hoeboe! You may be lucky! We're all pulling for you :beer

Keep us posted on your plans. We hope everything works out exactly as you wish and that you and your family enjoy moving into retirement and all the many relaxing and pleasurable opportunities open to you. :D
Well, I talked to my manager last week and got the ball rolling. April 1 is about right! Boss proposed an LOA through February 2023 to allow one more year of RSU and NQSO vesting and is running it up the flagpole today and giving me the news Wednesday. He hopes to give me a return path in case my situation changes.

Home winemaking ranges from buying "all in one" kits, using fruit and grape concentrates, or fresh grapes from suppliers and arrangements with local vineyards. It's like baking- you can buy a cake mix, make bread from scratch with store bought ingredients, or grind wheat and ferment your own sourdough starter. It's as complex or simple as you wish!
LHRAdam

Post by LHRAdam »

Retired 23/12/2021
Aged 50
4 years earlier than planned - and 4 years after finding BH. Earlier was because of portfolio growth + moving to a significantly LCOL area, in Scotland.
JIMX7

Post by JIMX7 »

I retired in 2018
My wife retired January 2022
She worked over 20 years in the retirement industry and last month they hired a new DM who was way under qualified for the job. She had a meeting with my wife to " Fine tune things" as she was talking with my wife unbeknownst to her my wife was typing her resignation letter and excused herself to get the copy from the printer and handed it to her. I am so proud of her. Think we will be just fine she turns 61 in February with a net worth of over 3,000000.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

JIMX7 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:52 pm I retired in 2018
My wife retired January 2022
She worked over 20 years in the retirement industry and last month they hired a new DM who was way under qualified for the job. She had a meeting with my wife to " Fine tune things" as she was talking with my wife unbeknownst to her my wife was typing her resignation letter and excused herself to get the copy from the printer and handed it to her. I am so proud of her. Think we will be just fine she turns 61 in February with a net worth of over 3,000000.
Well played!

🍷 🍷

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Boston BH Chapter zoom meeting with Christine Benz on Retirement- 1/22/2022

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello upcoming retirees 8-)

Christine Benz from Morningstar is giving a retirement presentation for the Boston Bogleheads Chapter this Saturday, Jan 22, 2022, from 10:00 am to 12 noon Eastern Time. This virtual meeting is open to all Bogleheads!

Her topic is: "What If This Turns Out To Be A Terrible Time To Retire?" :shock: :annoyed

Her presentation will be followed by Q&A with ample time for interesting discussion.

The zoom link for this meeting is posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.
rocket123

Post by rocket123 »

rocket123 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:04 pm I am finally ready - will give notice in January and stay on between 2 week and 2 months.

I'm 57 and will take on home projects, golf courses, hiking trails and foreign adventures. And keep trying to convince my mother you don't need to work to be happy.
Put me down for Feb 11 :happy
Yaquiway

Post by Yaquiway »

My date is 12/31/2022. Seems strange but the clouds literally parted for me a couple days ago, and I just felt peace when I thought “this is the year”. I’m a surgeon at a large public university whose president was just destroyed in a lurid scandal. The moral compass in our leadership was lost before Covid and working here has torn chunks out of my soul for years now. I’ll be 58 and have three pre college kids but they have generous 529’s. I’m lucky that my wife is 10 years younger and will carry insurance. If she early retires we’ll purchase insurance on the market place. We have had no debt for ages now and have saved 40x expenses. I have hundreds of patients to bid adieu and a brilliant junior partner to take care of them. I plan on giving six months notice because of all the patients to be rescheduled.
I tried over the past few years to figure out a way to survive in a system which causes so much harm to patients and employees, but I suspected that the value clash could not be reconciled. My wife supports the decision. I am not happy but I am relieved. It’s the right thing to do.
What will I do? Mainly heal my soul…for months. I have kids to shepherd , a dog that needs walking, a Taylor 814 that needs playing and a body that needs more exercise.
That will keep me going for years….
Peace.
P&C actuary

Re: Boston BH Chapter zoom meeting with Christine Benz on Retirement- 1/22/2022

Post by P&C actuary »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:21 pm Hello upcoming retirees 8-)

Christine Benz from Morningstar is giving a retirement presentation for the Boston Bogleheads Chapter this Saturday, Jan 22, 2022, from 10:00 am to 12 noon Eastern Time. This virtual meeting is open to all Bogleheads!

Her topic is: "What If This Turns Out To Be A Terrible Time To Retire?" :shock: :annoyed

Her presentation will be followed by Q&A with ample time for interesting discussion.

The zoom link for this meeting is posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.
I just saw this and missed it. Is it available to view afterwards?
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Boston BH Chapter zoom meeting with Christine Benz on Retirement- 1/22/2022

Post by Miriam2 »

P&C actuary wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: Hello upcoming retirees 8-)

I just saw this and missed it. Is it available to view afterwards?
Yes, the video recording will be available in a week or so and posted on the Bogleheads Blog Virtual Online Presentations. Other videos of past presentations are found there also, including videos of Jack Bogle at Bogleheads Conferences, and the Bogleheads Speaker Series.

https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/portfol ... entations/

The Calendar of Events for upcoming meetings and presentations is on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.
https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events
P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary »

Thank you Miriam2 for the information.
LGAGA

Post by LGAGA »

Thank you Miriam, count me in for Retirement Class 2022!

Age 56, looking at sometime in March. Can’t wait!
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

*sigh*

This is like all the roll calls for cruises I wish I was booked for…
morsetaper2

Post by morsetaper2 »

Retiring April 1st! That's no joke. Just the last day of the final pay period of Q1 for my company. Seems like the time is right. And Spring will be springing when that day rolls around. I'll turn 63 in Feb.

desiderium

Post by desiderium »

Yaquiway wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:07 pm My date is 12/31/2022. Seems strange but the clouds literally parted for me a couple days ago, and I just felt peace when I thought “this is the year”. I’m a surgeon at a large public university whose president was just destroyed in a lurid scandal. The moral compass in our leadership was lost before Covid and working here has torn chunks out of my soul for years now. I’ll be 58 and have three pre college kids but they have generous 529’s. I’m lucky that my wife is 10 years younger and will carry insurance. If she early retires we’ll purchase insurance on the market place. We have had no debt for ages now and have saved 40x expenses. I have hundreds of patients to bid adieu and a brilliant junior partner to take care of them. I plan on giving six months notice because of all the patients to be rescheduled.
I tried over the past few years to figure out a way to survive in a system which causes so much harm to patients and employees, but I suspected that the value clash could not be reconciled. My wife supports the decision. I am not happy but I am relieved. It’s the right thing to do.
What will I do? Mainly heal my soul…for months. I have kids to shepherd , a dog that needs walking, a Taylor 814 that needs playing and a body that needs more exercise.
Peace.
Thank you so much for saying this, as I am in a similar place. My particulars differ: I am in a high burnout medical specialty, and have served tirelessly over the years in several leadership roles aimed at the improvement of quality and service to patients. With the consolidation of the health care sector, those functions are now handled remotely by ideologues with a spreadsheet. I am now simply a megacorp employee with waning support, working harder to deliver poorer care. The decline is very painful to watch.

I am 62 and financially secure. My kids are educated adults now pursuing interesting lives. I cut back my schedule last year and easily filled the time with exercise, cooking, and local travel. I have confidence in being able to fill the extra time: there are literally mountains to climb, races to run, family to visit, and hopefully the opportunity to travel before too long.

Healing one's soul is possible, but will require leaving my career altogether. Enjoy your journey, Yaquiway.

Miriam, please put me down for July 1.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

desiderium wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:07 am
Yaquiway wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:07 pm
Peace.
Healing one's soul is possible, but will require leaving my career altogether. Enjoy your journey, Yaquiway.
In many ways "Ditto". I'm not in the medical profession, but there are so many large corporate and societal mechanisms that diminish one's humanity. I look forward when I retire to rebuilding my body and slowing down to an appropriate level on so many things, yet accelerating others with focus.

Kind of by definition, a career is all-consuming. Like a rocket engine, it propels one forward but consumes valuable resources at an enormous rate and probably cannot be continued forever. There's a sustainability proposition over one's lifetime that, for the good of one's soul, must be met.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill