Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

Post by Miriam2 »

expo62 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:21 pm After many years of self-employment followed by 14 years at megacorp, I'm planning on joining the "leisure class" this June.
I have to admit that it's more bittersweet than I anticipated, and the decision does not have some regrets and anxiety associated with it.
I'm currently 59 years old, in good health, and feel physically up to continuing meaningful employment, but psychologically...I'm done.
Welcome to the Leisure Class, expo62 and to this Most Exciting Retirement Roll Call! What an interesting emotional prelude to retirement, thank you for sharing your feelings :happy Many of us found retirement to be bittersweet with plenty of regrets and anxiety. Once you settle in, however, you'll find retirement is quite a nice new life.
expo62 wrote: I hope I can make a smooth transition to the decumulation stage, but suspect I may struggle with adjusting to not earning an income. Still, I'm looking forward to spending more time with wife and friends, hopefully doing all the things I never made time for before.
I've posted our situation for feedback here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=372390

For now add me on to the class of 2022!
Thanks for sharing your "Pre-Retirement Check-In" thread. You've received some nice advice. I agree with Watty to be aware that you might move into a higher tax bracket upon retirement due to RMD's, pension, and high social security. I found it hard to believe that we were deep within a higher tax bracket in retirement than we were while working :shock: (Note - these were the old tax brackets)

Best wishes for a long, healthy and happy retirement, spending more time with family and friends and for sure, doing all the things you put off because you didn't have the time while working! Please let us know how you fit everything in to all that new-found free time :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here is the latest Roll Call for the Intrepid Retirement Class of 2022 - inflation, stagflation, bear markets, sequence of returns risk, wars, viruses, madness & mindlessness - remember John Bogle's advice:

(John Bogle's message to the Bogleheads, Bogleheads Conference 2012)

Delighted to report that our Intrepid 2022 Retirement Class now has 22 very happy (and relieved :wink: ) graduates! And many more feverishly gathering their retirement papers together so they don't miss their deadlines :oops:

Already retired - Congratulations!!
01 Jan - beernutz
01 Jan - old medic
01 Jan - Methos1979 (age 60)
01 Jan - aas (53)
02 Jan - bad1bill (70)
03 Jan - john0608 (65)
04 Jan - Atilla (54)
06 Jan - jamacq
07 Jan - Whatyear? (62)
29 Jan - Mrs Taz (58)
31 Jan - numerica
__ Jan - D Newton (65)
__ Jan - JIMX7

02 Feb - Escapevelocity (55)
11 Feb - rocket123 (57)
__ Feb - StewedCarrot (under 50)

01 Mar - timshel
01 Mar - BobB (69)

Our Upcoming Graduates - hang in there everyone!! :D
31 Mar - apsuGuy (58)
__ Mar - GG1273 (63)
__ Mar - deserat (58)
__ Mar - LGAGA (56)

01 Apr - averagedude (52)
01 Apr - P&C Actuary
01 Apr - hoeboe (49)
01 Apr - morsetaper2 (63)
01 Apr - 260chrisb (60)

31 May - Bronko
31 May - DA200 (55)
__ May - Bass4
__ May - Tjb (63)
__ May - usa (56)
__ May - SunRainSnow (49)

01 Jun - Newby61 (61)
15 Jun - BigWave Dave (61.5)
30 Jun - Runyer (63)
__ Jun - expo62 (59)

01 Jul - Viking65 (56)
01 Jul - MikeWillRetire (60)
01 Jul - Silentnight (66)
01 Jul - desiderium (62)
01 Jul - just1question (54)
05 Jul - BogleFan84 (62)
__ Jul - Californian

01 Aug - augryphon (60)
01 Aug - tooluser (56)
31 Aug - blackburnian (65)
31 Aug - Feijao (53)

__ Oct - texas lawdog (52)
__ Oct - jjunk (48)
__ Oct - Minerva90 (62)

30 Dec - cork (70)
31 Dec - fatcoffeedrinker (54)
31 Dec - AngelFIRE (52)
31 Dec - Jtdmn (64)
31 Dec - Live Simple
31 Dec - Barkingsparrow (64)
31 Dec - Yaquiway (58)
__ Dec - shiftyg (54)

__ ___ - txbear55 (66)
__ ___ - rich126
__ ___ - trallium (50)
__ ___ - macman_65 (56)
__ ___ - MAKsdad
__ ___ - thrifty_one (56)
__ ___ - TheTimeLord

The Infinity Retirement Class 8-)
HomerJ (class of 2021/2022 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .)

Wish to be part of this Intrepid Retirement Class of 2022? You know what to do! :D

Last edited by Miriam2 on Thu May 12, 2022 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
cork

Post by cork »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:17 pm
cork wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:01 pm Please add me to this Roll Call!
December 30th, 2022 will be my last day, and I will turn 70 earlier in that month.
Wow!! A big congratulations to you for your years of hard work and now a wonderful retirement opening up! Welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Roll Call and the Intrepid Class of 2022 :D
cork wrote:I work for a small company, and the people I work with, I've been working with for over 30 years. I expect not seeing them very often will be the most difficult part of this transition.
:( The sad part of leaving such a job - but now there's Zoom! You can zoom with them every day - and also, as part of the new Rite of Passage for our retirees - you could take out all your Franklin Planners from work and leave them for your colleagues still working away 8-)
cork wrote:Currently, my time is filled with work, family, and volunteer work with charitable organizations. I plan to spend my retirement with a LOT more family time, which includes travelling, and keep up with the charitable works.
Sounds wonderful :happy
cork wrote:And maybe try to get my yard back to the way it used to look :D
Oh good luck with that LOL! Home ownership is truly an endless battle with vegetation . . .
cork wrote:Thanks to the input and information from all the Bogleheads here, I believe financially, DW and I will be just fine going forward.
Very much looking forward to 2023!!!
We wish you and your family all the best in this new phase of life and hope you enjoy a very long and happy retirement :sharebeer
Thank you for the kind words and wishes!
trallium

Post by trallium »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:56 pm
trallium wrote: If I attain 50 whole years of age before my separation from service, I’ll have healthcare for life; $40k/year pension w/COLA; $40k/year SS at 70; $400k in my 457(b) [no age limit to dip into this]; $600k in 403(b) [convert to Roth before RMD]; $120k in Roth IRA. HCOL condo with equity and mortgage; LCOL inherited property near a college that I rent out (old Mill house that won’t qualify for HFA loan, resale is low but rent pays taxes etc. + profit + bug out location). I was born in 1972.

I’ve already worked more than half my life for my employer; even had a work permit to work here in high school, but that stint does not count towards retirement. But I have more than half my life on this stint.

I thought I was going to be able to quit 120 days before my 50th; just learned of group insurance regulations part iv annuitant health section 6002 eligibility that says I need to attain 50 whole years of age before my separation date to qualify for the healthcare for life benefit, I thought I was like 90 days away from separation from service, but it’s more like 230. I’m just so burned out from years of non-stop work. But, heath care for life is probably worth 120 more days of insane work environment.

If I walk away today, my sick leave won’t convert to service credit and I won’t get healthcare— but I would get $38k/ year lifetime pension with COLA at 50.
Hi trallium and welcome to the Bogleheads!

Oohh, the healthcare elephant. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. For me, I'd probably stick it out as best I could in order to receive the healthcare for life benefit. A thought - don't underestimate the importance of good solid healthcare, and if it's for life, it may be worth the extra work, as tiring and dragging as that may be. Especially if it's only the 120 days extra, that's 4 months, time goes quickly and before you know it, you'll be half-way there, then you'll be done.

If you want, post your post for the Bogleheads forum to look at and comment on. You may receive some helpful answers :happy

Meanwhile, welcome to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call and to the Class of 2022! When your plans firm up, let me know where to put you! We wish you all the best in planning your retirement and successfully negotiating your glidepath 8-)
Been working 60% since Feb; 3 more months at 60% and then I'm done. In July I'll have a week of vacation, attain 50 whole years of age, end my service to the regents, and then retire the last week in Aug with healthcare for life.

One more month, and we can return to the office :oops: I'll have 9 weeks at 60% in my new cube in a brand new building on the new campus. The view should be pretty good (10th floor bay view) from the new cube.
Viking65

Post by Viking65 »

And the deed is done! DW and I both submitted formal notice today. The last couple months have been excruciating, completely unmotivated at work yet not being able to tell anyone why. The comment from my 55 year-old division director, after picking up her jaw from the floor, was "but you're only 56; that's too young to retire". Priceless! (that alone made the last two years of enduring the overflowing BS bucket almost worth it).
On the payroll until July 1, last working day is May 6 with accrued vacation to follow.
The stress is gone and the champagne is on ice! Gonna be a nice weekend.
Viking65
Miriam2 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 am
Viking65 wrote: I have so been waiting for this call. I'M IN! First member of the class of 2022, wohoo!
Congratulations Viking65 on being the First Member of this Most Highly Anticipated Retirement Class :D
Viking65 wrote:I'm currently 55 and DW is 61. Our date is 1 July 2022.
We will put in our notices on 1 April 2022 (no fooling!) and walk out the door 3 months later (or maybe 3 weeks, when we use up accumulated vacation time). We've been FI for a while, but we're waiting on youngest son to graduate from high school before pulling the plug.
Very nice plans (no fooling!) What are you going to do for health insurance?
Viking65 wrote:This feels so good. We can't wait to start the next chapter, but the next 9 months are going to drag by.
Oh they're not going to "drag by!" I mean, after all, it only takes 9 months to have a baby :mrgreen: Before you know it, you'll be preparing your Official Retirement Papers, planning your Official Retirement Party, and saying all your good-byes. We hope everything goes perfectly and that retirement is everything you wish it to be!
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

I am taking my sabbatical today at 52 years old. Some of my coworkers thought it was an April Fool's joke. At age 23 years old, I made a goal to retire at 55 years old, and since then I haven't had a single day that this goal didn't consume my thoughts. This wasn't just a strong desire of mine, it was a burning obsession. Question is, will this be a 9 month sabbatical or if I am so lucky, will it be a 35 year plus sabbatical. Time will tell.
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

Viking65 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:25 am And the deed is done! DW and I both submitted formal notice today. The last couple months have been excruciating, completely unmotivated at work yet not being able to tell anyone why. The comment from my 55 year-old division director, after picking up her jaw from the floor, was "but you're only 56; that's too young to retire". Priceless! (that alone made the last two years of enduring the overflowing BS bucket almost worth it).
On the payroll until July 1, last working day is May 6 with accrued vacation to follow.
Viking65
Miriam2 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 am
Viking65 wrote: I have so been waiting for this call. I'M IN! First member of the class of 2022, wohoo!
Congratulations Viking65 on being the First Member of this Most Highly Anticipated Retirement Class :D
Viking65 wrote:I'm currently 55 and DW is 61. Our date is 1 July 2022.
We will put in our notices on 1 April 2022 (no fooling!) and walk out the door 3 months later (or maybe 3 weeks, when we use up accumulated vacation time). We've been FI for a while, but we're waiting on youngest son to graduate from high school before pulling the plug.
Very nice plans (no fooling!) What are you going to do for health insurance?
Viking65 wrote:This feels so good. We can't wait to start the next chapter, but the next 9 months are going to drag by.
Oh they're not going to "drag by!" I mean, after all, it only takes 9 months to have a baby :mrgreen: Before you know it, you'll be preparing your Official Retirement Papers, planning your Official Retirement Party, and saying all your good-byes. We hope everything goes perfectly and that retirement is everything you wish it to be!
Congratulations! What a great day :beer

Question for you: I'm assuming your vacation time would be paid out if you chose to leave sooner. Is there some financial benefit to staying on the payroll all the way to July 1 instead of just exiting in early May and having the vacation pay out to you ? I'm assuming that it would pay out at your full rate. Just curious, as I've seen others do this too but I'm inclined to max out my vacation and then take the cash.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Okay, I am in...May 31 2022 :D
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Ricola wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:05 am Okay, I am in...May 31 2022 :D
Your pronouncement is now echoing among the mountains of Switzerland! :D
"Swiss Alphorn Music - Swiss Alps" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUpkrCQwaBg
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Topic Author
Miriam2

Pre & Retired Life Stage Meeting- 4/6/2022- 8:00 pm ET- "The Death Book"

Post by Miriam2 »

The Pre & Early Retirement and Retired Life Stage Chapters are holding an important zoom meeting tomorrow, Wed. April 6, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET, on how to document your personal financial details so your surviving spouse or family knows what is there, where it is, how to get it, and what to do in case you croak, die, or become incapacitated. :annoyed

Bogleheads have given this document many names over the years: the "In Case I Croak Book"; "The Death Book"; or Taylor's more gentlemanly "Letter of Final Instructions". :happy

Whatever you call it - it needs to be done. But how are you going to do it? In many cases, only one spouse or partner handles most of the financial tasks, so how can you make these directions easier for your surviving spouse and family?

Please share your thoughts and personal experiences on the topic, "Documenting Financial Information for Surviving Spouse or Executor." All Bogleheads are welcome :happy

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

Although it's not necessary to RSVP for the meeting, you can RSVP and submit your questions HERE. All responses are anonymous.

Here is the zoom link -
Zoom link

Meeting ID: 892 9264 0248
Passcode: 794093

One tap mobile
+13462487799,,89292640248#,,,,*794093# US (Houston)
+12532158782,,89292640248#,,,,*794093# US (Tacoma)

Dial by your location
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 892 9264 0248
Passcode: 794093
Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kbcWBz0tfi

Thank you to the Pre & Early Retirement and Retirement Life Stage Chapter Coordinators for hosting this meeting 8-)
P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary »

Last Friday, April 1 was my last day of employment. This week I got paperwork notarized for pension and mailed it in.

Before the last day there were 3 lunches with coworkers and a happy hour another day. Saturday night was a dinner with immediate family and a surprise visit from my best man. Sunday was a hockey game with my son using tickets from coworkers.

That's all for now. Things have slowed down this week.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Retired Life Stage Chapter meeting- Tues 4/12/2022- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

For those who are retired, or about to retire, or who dream of retiring :happy the Retired Life Stage Chapter is meeting on Zoom tomorrow, Tues. April 12, 2022, from 8:00-10:00 pm ET

5 PM Pacific | 6 PM Mountain | 7 PM Central | 8 PM Eastern

Format: Open Q&A session discussing a variety of topics, such as -
  • How are you dealing with inflation and increased market volatility?
  • Have you made (or contemplated) any changes in your asset allocation and/or bond holdings?
  • What tools have you found most helpful for retirement planning?
  • Other (suggest in our RSVP Form).
All Bogleheads are welcome! To encourage open discussion (preferably with video), and to protect participants privacy, the meeting will NOT be recorded. You can RSVP for the meeting and suggest additional topics for discussion here - RSVP Link - All responses are anonymous and you don't need to RSVP to attend.

HERE is the Zoom link - and the full link is posted on the BH Calendar of Events.

Note - there have been recent updates to Zoom, so if you plan to participate in any upcoming meetings, make sure you're running the latest version for your device (whether laptop, tablet, or smartphone) ==> https://zoom.us/download
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

trallium wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:03 pm Been working 60% since Feb; 3 more months at 60% and then I'm done. In July I'll have a week of vacation, attain 50 whole years of age, end my service to the regents, and then retire the last week in Aug with healthcare for life.

One more month, and we can return to the office :oops: I'll have 9 weeks at 60% in my new cube in a brand new building on the new campus. The view should be pretty good (10th floor bay view) from the new cube.
Sounds like a nice glidepath into retirement, Trallium :happy We hope it all works out perfectly for you and that you truly enjoy these last months of working! A brand new building on a new campus with a great view - sounds wonderful 8-)

We'll pencil you in for the end of August. Please let us know if you decide to re-consider, considering that 10th floor bay view . . .
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Viking65 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:25 am And the deed is done! DW and I both submitted formal notice today. The last couple months have been excruciating, completely unmotivated at work yet not being able to tell anyone why. The comment from my 55 year-old division director, after picking up her jaw from the floor, was "but you're only 56; that's too young to retire". Priceless! (that alone made the last two years of enduring the overflowing BS bucket almost worth it).
Viking65
Way to go, Viking65!! Punching out of the "overflowing BS bucket" is a real retirement! Sorry you had to endure the last few months of excruciating work - now it's time to enjoy all your champagne and enjoy the feeling of shedding the stress and weight from years of work. Welcome to the Sunny Side of the street!

"but you're only 56; that's too young to retire" - 🤣 🤣 Congratulations! 🎉 🎉
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

It is finished!!

I retired on April 8! Almost, kinda. I retired from my job and after a few weeks off will be consulting up to 20 hours/wk. I was surprised how quickly I felt the stress lift.

Some things are really strange, my wife asked me to take her car in for service and I starting thinking about my schedule…when I realized, hey, I don’t have a schedule, I can do it now!!

I think I’m going to like this!
jnevada

Post by jnevada »

Retiring Monday April 25th. A little nervous and excited.Took a pension over lump sum.
iluvzbeach

Post by iluvzbeach »

Pencil me in for November 2, 2022. I'll be 52 at that time and DH will be 62 - he will have been retired six years at that point. I'm choosing that day because it's the day before our anniversary and after many, many years of giving so very much to my career, it will feel nice to say that it all stops in celebration of our anniversary.

In 1996 I set a goal to retire by age 50, almost retired at 49 but then agreed to part-time with my employer, which turned back in to full-time over the past year. So, while I've missed my goal of retiring by 50, we've been able to continuing growing our LNW through 401K & HSA contributions, along with other taxable savings, and I'm glad we did so. That said, I'm looking forward to 11/2/22 and plan to inform my employer shortly after the final important RSU vesting this year.

Really hoping I can stick with the plan this time and not chicken out.
rennem

Post by rennem »

This is my first weekend of retirement at age 72. Friday was my last day. After some 50 years of working (not with the same employer), I'm feeling a little surrealism in my brain. Spouse retired five years ago...not sure he wants me underfoot! We both have pensions and SS, plus some money saved, so we'll be ok. I've got some plans to volunteer and paint the kitchen cabinets. Maybe take some classes.
nyone

Post by nyone »

Had my last day at work today, age 58. DH retired 3 years ago. Emotions are mixed; have been ready to retire but will miss those I have been working with. Hoping to travel, read more, exercise and get some strength back and definitely sleep in (or not worry about getting up at 5AM).
gristboy

Post by gristboy »

After 33 years with my current employer, June 1, 2022 is my day! I announced the date in June 2021 and hired my successor back in November. I've pretty much transitioned all of my responsibilities and it feels weird (good, but weird). Now that I've given most of my duties away, I'm more ready than ever to start my next chapter. Age 60 has always been my target and I hit that mark in November! I"ll definitely miss the team at work, but I suddenly realized I had become the old guy and most of my closest friends had already retired, so I don't think the transition will be too difficult. Time for the wife and I to enjoy the grand kids!
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I put in the paperwork today for a retirement on 01 Aug 2022 when I will be 56.

Head: :happy
Heart: :D
Gut: :shock: , then :? , then :happy after the paperwork was in.

The ship is at the dock, the crew is boarding and loading the last of the provisions. As Captain I have planned the course as best I can to offset any fickle winds, waves, or weather. We set sail at dawn! (Well, realistically probably more like 9:30 or 10:00am, and about 3 months from now.)
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

averagedude wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:43 pm I am taking my sabbatical today at 52 years old. Some of my coworkers thought it was an April Fool's joke. At age 23 years old, I made a goal to retire at 55 years old, and since then I haven't had a single day that this goal didn't consume my thoughts. This wasn't just a strong desire of mine, it was a burning obsession. Question is, will this be a 9 month sabbatical or if I am so lucky, will it be a 35 year plus sabbatical. Time will tell.
Oooh - a "burning obsession" 🧐 Well, this calls for 🎉🎉 :beer - we're all cheering for you, Averagedude!

Please let us know how your sabbatical goes. We wish you all the best in all your endeavors and hope you really enjoy this long-sought goal that you worked for!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

You're on the Roll Call, Ricola! And with that come all the Special Honors for being one of the Most Senior Bogleheads of this Class, having joined the Bogleheads on April 26, 2008 (the Bogleheads dot org began on Feb. 19, 2007) 8-) We're all interested in your massive portfolio achieved after all these years of diligent Boglehead investing :D

Retirement is less than a month away! You'll make it! Just get your retirement papers in line, then pack up your office, say warm good-byes, eat lots of Happy Retirement cake, then bolt out the door (and tell them good riddance :D ) What's on the retirement agenda?
Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious »

Yesterday was the day (05/02/2022) that I retired. Today, I have time to submit this to the Roll Call 2022 thread. Mrs. Lacrocious will be retiring on 06/03/2022. Exciting times. A bit nervous, but definitely excited. The following smile was huge! :D

Thank you all for your help over the years - we greatly appreciate it.

Time to start the kayaking, hiking, biking and any other thing that we can come up with.
- L
Bass4

Post by Bass4 »

Today was my final day in the workforce. I’m out at age 58. Such a good feeling.
Mybuterrier

Post by Mybuterrier »

This Past Wednesday May 4th. I’m Free
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

This past Friday was my last day. I'm done at age 51. I had thought I would stick around until 55, but circumstances changed and it made more sense to go now.

One bit of advice I've picked up here is to make sure you are retiring *to* something and not just *for* something. I am busier than ever spreading my time across athletic, creative, and charitable (volunteer) pursuits. So I would describe myself as "working, but not for money."
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

P&C actuary wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:23 pm Last Friday, April 1 was my last day of employment. This week I got paperwork notarized for pension and mailed it in.

Before the last day there were 3 lunches with coworkers and a happy hour another day. Saturday night was a dinner with immediate family and a surprise visit from my best man. Sunday was a hockey game with my son using tickets from coworkers.

That's all for now. Things have slowed down this week.
Hi P&C actuary and welcome to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call for 2022 :D Sorry I am so late with the Welcomes - hope I don't get fired :mrgreen:

Thanks for the great outlay of your Retirement Going Away Parties and Fun - nothing like years of good work, then a whole bunch of festive food and fun - which you truly deserve!

Nice to have a pension and nice to ease into retirement after all the excitement. Please let us know how you fill your free time. We wish you many many years of fun times and new experiences in this wonderful time of life :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

augryphon wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:39 pm It is finished!!

I retired on April 8! Almost, kinda. I retired from my job and after a few weeks off will be consulting up to 20 hours/wk. I was surprised how quickly I felt the stress lift.

Some things are really strange, my wife asked me to take her car in for service and I starting thinking about my schedule…when I realized, hey, I don’t have a schedule, I can do it now!!

I think I’m going to like this!
We think you're going to like this too! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this most Incredible Retirement Class of 2022 :D Enjoy all these stress-less or at least stress-relieved days, make your own schedule and have fun planning new activities. Hope your consulting works out well and you earn enough to splurge a little :D Please let us know how your retirement works out and what you enjoy doing.

Best wishes for a really wonderful retirement :beer
happysteward

Post by happysteward »

Retired in February 2022 after 40+ years in engineering. Working on getting certified to teach English to internationals, next chapter has begun :happy
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

jnevada wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:33 am Retiring Monday April 25th. A little nervous and excited. Took a pension over lump sum.
A big welcome to this Magnificent Retirement Class of 2022, jnevada! There is nothing that warms the heart as much as hearing those exciting words: "Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call!!" :D (well, perhaps there are other things that also might warm the heart . . . . :mrgreen:

How has the first 2 weeks of retirement been? Please let us know what you have planned 8-)

We wish you a very happy retirement, hope it is long and pleasurable, that you achieve all you set out to do, and that your portfolio gives you great delight and withstands any financial assaults :D
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:02 pm well, perhaps there are other things that also might warm the heart . . .
In the deepest part of winter, safe and snug inside your home after having been outside most of the day, put a pat of butter on top of your cup of hot chocolate, wait for it to melt, then take your first sip.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

tooluser wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:45 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:02 pm well, perhaps there are other things that also might warm the heart . . .
In the deepest part of winter, safe and snug inside your home after having been outside most of the day, put a pat of butter on top of your cup of hot chocolate, wait for it to melt, then take your first sip.
Thank you, Tooluser! Sounds delicious :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

iluvzbeach wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:45 pm Pencil me in for November 2, 2022. I'll be 52 at that time and DH will be 62 - he will have been retired six years at that point. I'm choosing that day because it's the day before our anniversary and after many, many years of giving so very much to my career, it will feel nice to say that it all stops in celebration of our anniversary.
Ok, iluvzbeach - you're penciled in for Nov. 2, but if you decide to work a little longer, let us know, it's easy - we just re-boot you, LOL :happy

Sounds like a nice time to retire. Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this Intrepid Class of 2022 :D
iluvzbeach wrote:In 1996 I set a goal to retire by age 50, almost retired at 49 but then agreed to part-time with my employer, which turned back in to full-time over the past year. So, while I've missed my goal of retiring by 50, we've been able to continuing growing our LNW through 401K & HSA contributions, along with other taxable savings, and I'm glad we did so. That said, I'm looking forward to 11/2/22 and plan to inform my employer shortly after the final important RSU vesting this year.

Really hoping I can stick with the plan this time and not chicken out.
Any time I made more money was a good time for me! Thank you for sharing your glidepath into retirement. Looking forward to learning what you do and how you plan for your retirement future. We hope everything goes the way you want and that your next anniversary is a double celebration!
:sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

rennem wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:36 am This is my first weekend of retirement at age 72. Friday was my last day.
Congratulations rennem and a big welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this great Retirement Class of 2022! :D And retiring at age 72 is quite a wonderful feat - indeed, you may take The Most Coveted Honor as The Oldest Retiree in the Bogleheads Retirement Class of 2022 - and believe me, these honors are highly valued and sought after and Bogleheads can't sleep at night dreaming of them 8-)
rennem wrote:After some 50 years of working (not with the same employer), I'm feeling a little surrealism in my brain.
Yes, settling into a new kind of life after a long working life is surreal - your brain will get used to it!
rennem wrote: Spouse retired five years ago...not sure he wants me underfoot! We both have pensions and SS, plus some money saved, so we'll be ok. I've got some plans to volunteer and paint the kitchen cabinets. Maybe take some classes.
Thanks for sharing your retirement path and these exciting plans. We wish you lots of luck painting those kitchen cabinets :!: please let us know how it goes. We hope you have a well-deserved wonderful retirement :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

nyone wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:50 pm Had my last day at work today, age 58. DH retired 3 years ago. Emotions are mixed; have been ready to retire but will miss those I have been working with. Hoping to travel, read more, exercise and get some strength back and definitely sleep in (or not worry about getting up at 5AM).
Hi nyone! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and a big congratulations on punching out of the 5 AM routine! 🎉 🎉

We hope you enjoy all the nice plans you have! Stay in touch with your work friends, get your strength back and relish more activity without schedules - sounds like a nice way of beginning this next phase of life. We wish you all the best for many years of a wonderful retirement :D
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:54 am
You're on the Roll Call, Ricola! And with that come all the Special Honors for being one of the Most Senior Bogleheads of this Class, having joined the Bogleheads on April 26, 2008 (the Bogleheads dot org began on Feb. 19, 2007) 8-) We're all interested in your massive portfolio achieved after all these years of diligent Boglehead investing :D

Retirement is less than a month away! You'll make it! Just get your retirement papers in line, then pack up your office, say warm good-byes, eat lots of Happy Retirement cake, then bolt out the door (and tell them good riddance :D ) What's on the retirement agenda?
Finding the Bogleheads and Jack Bogle helped me stay the course, so I have no fears. The plan forward is "let things and ideas happen" with emphasis on aesthetics and serendipity. :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

gristboy wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:09 pm After 33 years with my current employer, June 1, 2022 is my day! I announced the date in June 2021 and hired my successor back in November.
Whoohoo!! 33 years and Out The Door! :beer Welcome to this Fantabulous Retirement Roll Call! You're in the Intrepid Retirement Class of 2022 8-)

And you may have hired your successor & trained them well - but no way can they replace you :D
gristboy wrote: I've pretty much transitioned all of my responsibilities and it feels weird (good, but weird). Now that I've given most of my duties away, I'm more ready than ever to start my next chapter. Age 60 has always been my target and I hit that mark in November! I'll definitely miss the team at work, but I suddenly realized I had become the old guy and most of my closest friends had already retired, so I don't think the transition will be too difficult. Time for the wife and I to enjoy the grand kids!
Aw, I can really relate to your description. Thank you for sharing. These next few weeks will be bittersweet, but life is moving on and it's time :D We wish you a very long and happy retirement, hope you have good times with your closest friends, experience and explore new travel adventures, cook up some new meals, and get ready for whirlwind times with the grand kids :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

tooluser wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:03 pm I put in the paperwork today for a retirement on 01 Aug 2022 when I will be 56.
Very nice Tooluser! Good time to retire, all the way around 8-)
tooluser wrote:Head: :happy
Heart: :D
Gut: :shock: , then :? , then :happy after the paperwork was in.
Happy you didn't mess up :wink:
tooluser wrote:The ship is at the dock, the crew is boarding and loading the last of the provisions. As Captain I have planned the course as best I can to offset any fickle winds, waves, or weather. We set sail at dawn! (Well, realistically probably more like 9:30 or 10:00am, and about 3 months from now.)
😂 Be sure to let us know how the sail goes!

The Retirement Roll Call tries to be as helpful as possible when classmates have potential retirement snags, so here is this very useful graph to help you navigate fickle winds, waves, or weather. I really do swear by these helpful graphs - we use them all the time to prepare for hurricanes and they really, really do work :beer

:D
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

February 27 was effectively my last day at the office and I don't plan to go back. I'm still on the payroll and have taken on a few consulting assignments on an hourly basis from home, but it's not enough to tie me down nor will I let it get that way.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Congrats retirees. One of the best, if not the best thread around here! Cannot wait to post in 5-7 years! 💪👍🔥
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
usa

Post by usa »

Hi, I am moving my retirement to 10/31/22. Not because of the market, but because by then I will have accrued additional sick leave to add another month to my pension calculation. I just can't leave anything on the table!
jh

Post by jh »

I will be retiring on June 30, 2022. Age 46. Worked for 22 years in IT.
Retired in 2022 at the age of 46. Living off of dividends.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I guess I’m an odd duck. I can’t say anything with near certainty and don’t have definitive plans. I’m 58 and I’ve kind of been on a pre-retirement wind-down for a couple of years, working part time contract 100% at home. I don’t see myself going back to full time employment, although never say never. My wife (few years younger) will likely continue working for at least several more years unless employer sold the company.

When this gig winds down, likely later this year, will I find /look for another one? I don’t know. If I found an assignment mostly at home that was interesting I may. But I’ll be more picky about it.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

jh wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:15 pm I will be retiring on June 30, 2022. Age 46. Worked for 22 years in IT.
Congrats! I’ve been in the same industry for the same time. You have done very well. Got a good post retirement plan?
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
jh

Post by jh »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:50 pm
jh wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:15 pm I will be retiring on June 30, 2022. Age 46. Worked for 22 years in IT.
Congrats! I’ve been in the same industry for the same time. You have done very well. Got a good post retirement plan?

I won't be able to do much for a while. I'm retiring early to take care of my parents as they can no longer walk very well. I expect I will be spending most of my time helping them out around their house and taking them to Dr. appointments.
Retired in 2022 at the age of 46. Living off of dividends.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Lacrocious wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:54 pm Yesterday was the day (05/02/2022) that I retired. Today, I have time to submit this to the Roll Call 2022 thread. Mrs. Lacrocious will be retiring on 06/03/2022. Exciting times. A bit nervous, but definitely excited. The following smile was huge! :D
Congratulations Lacrocious, and a Big Welcome to this Wonderful Retirement Roll Call for this Intrepid Class of 2022!! Exciting time for sure! And we agree - it calls for a huge smile!

Lacrocious wrote:Thank you all for your help over the years - we greatly appreciate it.
You're welcome LOL! But it took a whole Forum to get you up out of the chair and out into Retirement :sharebeer
Lacrocious wrote:Time to start the kayaking, hiking, biking and any other thing that we can come up with.
Sounds like the perfect beginning to a new time with great adventures in the beautiful outdoors. We wish you both a wonderful retirement :D
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

<patiently waiting for class of 2023.....>
JRA

Post by JRA »

Called it quits on May 7, 2022 at age 65. My wife is still working part time, but that will probably end by the end of the summer.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

SurferLife wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:09 am <patiently waiting for class of 2023.....>
Patience, patience, young grasshopper :D