Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
desiderium

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

Post by desiderium »

tooluser wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:12 pm
desiderium wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:07 am
Yaquiway wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:07 pm
I tried over the past few years to figure out a way to survive in a system which causes so much harm to patients and employees, but I suspected that the value clash could not be reconciled. My wife supports the decision. I am not happy but I am relieved. It’s the right thing to do.
What will I do? Mainly heal my soul…for months. I have kids to shepherd , a dog that needs walking, a Taylor 814 that needs playing and a body that needs more exercise.
That will keep me going for years….
Peace.
Healing one's soul is possible, but will require leaving my career altogether. Enjoy your journey, Yaquiway.
In many ways "Ditto". I'm not in the medical profession, but there are so many large corporate and societal mechanisms that diminish one's humanity. I look forward when I retire to rebuilding my body and slowing down to an appropriate level on so many things, yet accelerating others with focus.

Kind of by definition, a career is all-consuming. Like a rocket engine, it propels one forward but consumes valuable resources at an enormous rate and probably cannot be continued forever. There's a sustainability proposition over one's lifetime that, for the good of one's soul, must be met.
Well said!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

BigWave Dave wrote: Please add me to the list. Last day is June 15th at 6am [working 12hr shift at 6pm on the 14th] Will have over 38yrs in electric production and be 61.5 yrs old. Working rotating 12hr shifts is really taking a toll on me. I have worked so many holidays, birthdays etc etc that days of the week don't mean anything any more its just days on and days off and they want us to work on our days off because they are so short staffed.
For sure, BigWaveDave - time to punch out and move into your own schedule! Rotating 12-hr shifts understandably takes a toll on life over the years - we're happy you made a good living and now can fully enjoy a most well-deserved retirement! Welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Roll Call - where the only schedule is to remember you don't have to get up for work :D

So what are your plans and how will you re-set your inner clock?

Please hang in there for these next few months toiling in the electric plant before punching out! We wish you a very long and happy retirement with lots of free time to enjoy all the good things around you and to explore new possibilities. Please let us know how things go 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MAKsdad wrote: Gave notice this morning! Plan on working part-time for 2-3 months while my role is transitioned, but then I'm done!
Way to go, MAKsdad! We're happy you made the decision and told them you're PUNCHING OUT 8-) OK to stay on and transition your role, but you're irreplaceable so won't be the same :wink: Welcome to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call and all the great benefits that come with being in the Class of 2022 - let us know your punch out date and we'll adjust the roster accordingly (note that fancy language for "move you around" :D

So what are your plans for this next great phase of your life? Travel? Decluttering? Learning new things or starting up a business? Whatever you do, we hope you love every minute of it and share your experiences with the rest of us :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

thrifty_one wrote: Here to answer roll call for retirement in 2022! Planning for anytime after tax day (and daughter's last tuition payment!).. DW will be 55 and I'll be 56. . . . We're a bit in disbelief that we've made it this far and never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd actually get here. I remember back in I believe 1989 and our HR person (small company) had meetings with each employee and set my auto-investment to 2035 fund - never thought this day would come! Congrats to all who've toiled, answered those 3am calls from work, pinched those budgets and invested with the idea of meeting this goal someday. Wow!
Congratulations thrifty_one! And welcome to this Highly Acclaimed Retirement Roll Call for the Class of 2022 :D See!! Wildest dreams DO come true!

"Anytime after tax day and daughter's last tuition payment" - haha! I remember those days! Years of tight financial scheduling. But it paid off and for sure, you're going to really appreciate all you accomplished and your future will be happier for it 8-) Now comes the hard part - not being so thrifty you can't enjoy your retirement :shock: :annoyed
Over Christmas break, my daughter's been already asking us what we're going to do all day and after ~35 yrs for myself in IT and DW working 27 yrs in a busy Hospital Emergency Dept , for now we'll let time decide what we'll do.
We like that option - let time decide. But don't let the days of unending lack of scheduling lead you adrift. Some can't take it and return to some type of schedule. With your IT skills, you'll probably be called by friends, neighbors, relatives, relatives of relatives, and people who knew someone who knew you - to come fix their computers :shock: :wink: Might be a nice retirement job :idea:

Let us know how your retirement glidepath goes and what you decide to do with this very special time of life. We wish you all the best and hope you really enjoy these years and accomplish all you set out to do :happy
apsuGuy

Post by apsuGuy »

An almost-never-poster here, but add me to the class of 2022 as well!

Wife closed her business due to covid-related downturns; she just turned 60. I'm 58, have a work-from-home job that is incredibly flexible and well paid (engineer at a national lab). I've gone back and forth and back and forth and back and forth ad nauseam on should I either quit and join her, or continue full time because my job is cushy, or transition to part time.

The combo of having a cousin who got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at 54, a father who just turned 89 and diagnosed with esophageal cancer and has been knocked on his ass and subsequently hospitalized after chemo/radiation, and feeling like I'm at the cusp of having 'enough' after plugging away at my 401(k) for 35 years, has made me realize the time to live is now. So I've decided I'm DONE, and couldn't be happier!

So put me down for March 31, 2022. I'm in a weird contract-like employment that ends then and could be renewed for a year, so that's gonna be it.

My over-riding thought is that the wife and I need to figure out, by living it, what retirement 'looks like' for us as far as activity and daily routine, and no time like the present (well soon enough anyway) to get busy living the next step. We just did 2 weeks in Hawaii and getting up and having all day for 'us' was wonderful. Ready for that every day!

John
aas

Post by aas »

Please add me to the class of 2022. I am done as of 1/1/2022 after nearly 30 years as a retail Pharmacist at the age of 53. Left my job at the end of June 2022 to start a new job for an outpatient Pharmacy dept. but job turned out to be not what I expected. I was burned out very quickly due to never ending work/stress/lack of life work balance. I was hoping to make it to my 55 birthday before retiring but I did not make it that far. I ran to the parking lot on my last day when my shift ended feeling happy and free from the daily grind.
apsuGuy

Post by apsuGuy »

Congrats aas!
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

I'm making the call in the morning; I'm 60, been with my company 20 years, worked in my career field 30 years, and have worked 42 years full time uninterrupted since the age of 18. Short of some financial incentive to stay (which I would cap at 3 additional months) the plan is to clock out Friday 4-1-2022! I've looked forward to and planned for this event for many years and of course saved for it for 24 years.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:46 pm
MAKsdad wrote: Gave notice this morning! Plan on working part-time for 2-3 months while my role is transitioned, but then I'm done!
Way to go, MAKsdad! We're happy you made the decision and told them you're PUNCHING OUT 8-) OK to stay on and transition your role, but you're irreplaceable so won't be the same :wink: Welcome to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call and all the great benefits that come with being in the Class of 2022 - let us know your punch out date and we'll adjust the roster accordingly (note that fancy language for "move you around" :D

So what are your plans for this next great phase of your life? Travel? Decluttering? Learning new things or starting up a business? Whatever you do, we hope you love every minute of it and share your experiences with the rest of us :happy
Hey there, thanks. My end date will likely either be Feb. 28 or March 31st. I haven't finalized it yet but will check back here when I do.

Initial plans are just to spend more time with my family and plan a relocation to a new area (still TBD). Also will be spending more time with hobbies...no more sitting in the office on a nice day wishing I was hiking, instead I'll be hiking. I have no immediate plans to ever work again, but if I do I know it won't be in an office setting doing anything like my current career/profession.

The only thing you have wrong in your note is that I'm irreplaceable! I think there might be 1,000 "irreplaceable" people in the whole world, and I'm not one of them.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Atilla wrote: Showed up for a salary negotiation meeting today with all my stuff - company laptop, cell phone, credit card, etc.

Announced to the VP and the Sales/Marketing Director I was retiring immediately. Shook hands and got out.

Company's longest surviving employee. June would have been 25 years. I turn 55 this spring.

:sharebeer
Now THAT'S a fun punch-out story! What - no retirement party? Make your own party and enjoy every minute of your new life 8-)

Please share your retirement plans, what's on the list? We wish you a very long, happy, healthy retirement filled with new adventures and a good amount of relaxation thrown in also 8-) Welcome to this Incredible Retirement Roll Call - you're in the Class of 2022 :D
Jtdmn

Post by Jtdmn »

Please put an asterisk by my Dec 31, 2022 retirement date. The plan is to rent a place in our warm weather destination to test it out before we sell our house and move full time. I have decided that during this "test" period I want to continue to have some work income coming in. DW has been retired about 2 years now. My boss will support me If I want to go part time (upper management and the client will have to approve but we are optimistic they will.) I would then work part time well into next year. The asterisk is because this is a work in progress and we are early in the year so things could change. BTW I will be 64 on Dec. 31, 2022. Also, I am a very long time lurker on this board. Seems like at least 20 years if it goes back that far. I decided to finally create an account just to post in the retirement roll call thread.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

260chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:51 pm I'm making the call in the morning; I'm 60, been with my company 20 years, worked in my career field 30 years, and have worked 42 years full time uninterrupted since the age of 18. Short of some financial incentive to stay (which I would cap at 3 additional months) the plan is to clock out Friday 4-1-2022! I've looked forward to and planned for this event for many years and of course saved for it for 24 years.
Well, I did it!! The call went well. They are likely going to want me to stay more than the 60 days I've offered but that's yet to be confirmed by anyone above my current manager nor does an additional few months change or impact my decision. The end has begun! I've planned and thought about this so much over the past couple years as my predetermined date neared that it seemed to be just another work related call. I wasn't nervous, didn't lose a minute of sleep over it last night, and have no second thoughts!! Odd with something I've had no experience with!! :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

BobB wrote: I'm retiring March 1, 2022 after 33 years with my employer and almost 40 years in the state retirement system, (FRS). My wife and I both turn 69 this year and already collect social security. No immediate plans. Just relax, smell the roses and travel when thing are a little safer.
Hi BobB and a big welcome to the 2022 Retirement Roll Call! Wow! Almost 40 years in the state retirement system and 33 with your immediate employer - that's good long work and now time for a good, long, well-deserved and really wonderful retirement 8-)

And we note that you have been a Boglehead since Jan 2008 - that's 14 years! You became a member less than a year after Bogleheads.org was founded on Feb 19, 2007! Why, your portfolio must be truly an amazing sight to behold - plus you had us to talk to for 18 years - how great is that?!

We wish you lots of relaxing times in retirement and hope everything turns out the way you hope for :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Retirement Life Stage Chapter Meeting: Finding Purpose in Retirement- 2/23/22

Post by Miriam2 »

All pre-retirees may find this unique upcoming Bogleheads zoom meeting of interest - "Finding Your Purpose in Retirement" :happy

This meeting is "unique" because - in addition to the regular Q&A portion by everyone - it will first include a Boglehead Focus Group with retirement Professor Jill Steinberg discussing how they handled, or couldn't handle, this very important aspect of retirement: finding your purpose in retirement.

This zoom meeting is hosted by the Pre/Early Retirement and Retirement Life Stage chapters on Wed. Feb. 23, 2022, starting at 7 pm (Central).
5 pm Pacific Time
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

Although the target audience is retirees and pre-retirees - all Bogleheads are welcome to join 8-)

Meeting Format: This meeting's format came about following the very successful Nov. 10, 2021 meeting with Professor Jill Steinberg (** see resume below) on "Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring." The Nov. 10th meeting explored the non-financial issues that Bogleheads experienced when moving into retirement, and how people preparing for retirement can better plan for this transition.

This upcoming meeting on Feb. 23 is a follow-up, designed to explore what retirement researchers have found to be one of the most serious aspects of transitioning from a life of work purpose to a retirement with what?? purpose. Dr. Steinberg suggested using the focus group format.

-- 1st hour - A small number of Boglehead volunteers (the Focus Group 8-) ) will be selected in advance (by the Pre-Retirement Life Stage Chapter coordinators) who are willing to be interviewed by Dr. Steinberg during the zoom meeting (anonymously, if desired), discussing how "Finding Purpose in Retirement" has applied to their own lives. Everyone else will observe the focus group discussion and Dr. Steinberg's suggestions.

-- 2nd hour - Then the meeting will open up and everyone will have the opportunity to ask questions and share their perspectives and experiences, along with open Q&A on other retirement topics you may have.

How to RSVP or be part of the Focus Group: You can RSVP (anonymously) for the meeting HERE. If you wish to be part of the focus group, also include your first name, last initial, and email address on the RSVP form and you will be contacted by email with further details.

The Zoom link will be posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events a week before the meeting.

** Jill Steinberg Background:
Jill Steinberg, Ph.D. is an Emeritus Professor at San Jose State University, Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Salzburg Fellow, and author and Founder of MyRetirementWorks.com. She received her undergraduate degree from Boston University in 1972 and doctorate in Clinical Psychology from Ohio State University in 1978. She teaches classes and has presented her research on Successful Retirement to universities including B.U., Google and other professional organizations.

Her research, “Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring” was published this year in: The Aging Consumer: Perspectives from Psychology and Marketing, 2nd edition, Eds: Drolet and Yoon (Routledge, 2021). Additionally, she has been working with the University of Michigan Ross Business School since the beginning of COVID.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

hoeboe wrote: Home winemaking ranges from buying "all in one" kits, using fruit and grape concentrates, or fresh grapes from suppliers and arrangements with local vineyards. It's like baking- you can buy a cake mix, make bread from scratch with store bought ingredients, or grind wheat and ferment your own sourdough starter. It's as complex or simple as you wish!
I see - and how does it taste?! :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LHRAdam wrote: Retired 23/12/2021
Aged 50
4 years earlier than planned - and 4 years after finding BH. Earlier was because of portfolio growth + moving to a significantly LCOL area, in Scotland.
Hi LHRAdam and welcome to the Retirement Roll Call - all the way from Scotland :D

Looks like your retirement was in 2021, so I moved you to the Most Awesome Class of 2021. If you want to retire twice LOL let me know and I'll keep you on both Roll Calls :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Reminder- Retirement Life Stage Meeting: Finding Purpose in Retirement- 2/23/22

Post by Miriam2 »

A reminder for this upcoming zoom meeting - "Finding Your Purpose in Retirement" :happy hosted by the Pre/Early Retirement and Retirement Life Stage chapters on Wed. Feb. 23, 2022, starting at 7 pm (Central).

5 pm Pacific Time
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

This meeting will begin with a small Boglehead Focus Group with retirement Professor Jill Steinberg discussing this very important aspect of retirement, followed by Q&A on any retirement topic. Please see the post upthread ^^^ with details and how to be part of the focus group. It's not necessary to be in the focus group to attend. Although the target audience is retirees and pre-retirees - all Bogleheads are welcome to join 8-)

Here is the Zoom link for the meeting, and the full link is also posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events. The meeting will not be recorded.
DA200

Post by DA200 »

55 / 54 yrs of age
After 30 years as a professor at an R1 university I am looking forward to never writing another research proposal or sitting through another faculty meeting.
The next chapter of my life begins on May 31, 2022! My only concern is not having enough time for several hobbies, exercise, and experiences with family and friends. Also hoping my DW will figure out how to step down as partner in her medical practice this year.
Most of my colleagues that are in their 60s, 70s, and 80s think I am crazy and all appear to have plans of spending their final days of life on campus writing another proposal, journal article, or textbook….
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

JIMX7 wrote: I retired in 2018
My wife retired January 2022
She worked over 20 years in the retirement industry and last month they hired a new DM who was way under qualified for the job. She had a meeting with my wife to " Fine tune things" as she was talking with my wife unbeknownst to her my wife was typing her resignation letter and excused herself to get the copy from the printer and handed it to her. I am so proud of her. Think we will be just fine she turns 61 in February with a net worth of over 3,000000.
Nice story! We wish you both a wonderful retirement and hope everything turns out the way you wish and that you really enjoy planning your new life forward. This is an exciting time :D
just1question

Post by just1question »

Put me down for July 1, 2022. Age 54.

My employers, who were supposed to be my friends (SMH), reneged on a financial commitment that was part of the reason I took the job. Their excuse made no sense. I think 28 years of practicing law is enough. I'm not sure what's next, other than something different. If I don't quit by July 1, 2022, I hereby give forum members permission to insult me and call me all types of disparaging names.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:52 pm It's time already!! :sharebeer

The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022 is now open!

Are you planning to RETIRE in 2022? About time! 8-)

Add your name to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call, post your R-date and age, if you choose, and all good benefits and great adventures will come your way! And yes, tentative retirement plans and estimated dates are okay - we just reboot you when they change 8-)
Okay, I am going to call it. I was laid off in the early stages of the pandemic with the possibility of being recalled, but that didn't happen. I have had some opportunities pop up but decided not to pursue them. So I guess I am accidentally retired. Let's see if it sticks this time.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TheTimeLord wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: It's time already!! :sharebeer

The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022 is now open!

Are you planning to RETIRE in 2022? About time! 8-)

Add your name to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call, post your R-date and age, if you choose, and all good benefits and great adventures will come your way! And yes, tentative retirement plans and estimated dates are okay - we just reboot you when they change 8-)
Okay, I am going to call it. I was laid off in the early stages of the pandemic with the possibility of being recalled, but that didn't happen. I have had some opportunities pop up but decided not to pursue them. So I guess I am accidentally retired. Let's see if it sticks this time.

Way to go TimeLord! How nice to welcome you to this Most Awesome Retirement Roll Call for 2022! You're a great addition to this Great Class :D And yes, for sure, it's going to stick - and if not, well, you know who to call - we just reboot you :beer

That's OK to be "accidentally retired" - haha! We had another Boglehead who "accidentally retired," filled out the wrong paperwork or something and then decided, "What the heck, I'll just retire," and another Boglehead who "inadvertently" joined the retirement class, and another time we had a Boglehead who "might have just added" himself to the retirement class, so now we have TheTimeLord moving from The Infinity Retirement Class to this Most Highly Respected Retirement Class of 2022 by being "pandemically pushed" into retirement! You're gonna love it :D

There are many paths to retirement, but the end is the same Sunny Side of the street and a big welcome to the Retirement Roll Call 8-)

Now TimeLord :wink: we have a new Rite of Passage for new retirees -
Take out your work Franklin Planners and tear them up into little pieces and, well, add them to the garden compost, or burn those Planners, in safety of course, not to violate the local No Bonfires code, or just dump them into the Big Trash Bin with appropriate blessings and Good Riddance :mrgreen:

Please share your retirement glide path and retirement plans. We wish you a long and happy retirement with all the many adventures you have spoken about over the years :sharebeer
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:30 pm we have a new Rite of Passage for new retirees -
Take out your work Franklin Planners and tear them up into little pieces and, well, add them to the garden compost, or burn those Planners, in safety of course, not to violate the local No Bonfires code, or just dump them into the Big Trash Bin with appropriate blessings and Good Riddance :mrgreen:
My innate sense of cheapness saved me from this tragedy years ago. After taking a "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" course at work, I decided I would get a planner. But while the company would pay for the planner inserts, they would not pay for the folio cover. So I never did it. They didn't walk the talk.

Things seem to have worked out just fine. A wax bullet dodged. Now I have to go rewatch the Golden Earring Twilight Zone music video.
(Edit: Watch it on Vimeo, not Youtube.)
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

rocket123 wrote: I am finally ready - will give notice in January and stay on between 2 week and 2 months.
I'm 57 and will take on home projects, golf courses, hiking trails and foreign adventures. And keep trying to convince my mother you don't need to work to be happy.
rocket123 wrote: Put me down for Feb 11 :happy
Yikes, sorry I missed your big day :mrgreen: Hope you really did pull that plug and told the boss you gotta get home - permanently - to finish all your home projects and play more golf!

Best wishes for a really great retirement, hope your mother can join you in having fun :happy and please let us know how everything goes. And yes, for the new Rite of Passage for retirees, be sure to get rid of that old Franklin Planner, maybe give it to your mom so she can see all the work you had to do to earn your retirement 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Miriam2 wrote: we have a new Rite of Passage for new retirees -
tooluser wrote: My innate sense of cheapness saved me from this tragedy years ago. After taking a "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" course at work, I decided I would get a planner. But while the company would pay for the planner inserts, they would not pay for the folio cover. So I never did it. They didn't walk the talk. . . .
Oh good grief, one would think the company would want you to not only talk and walk smart - but look smart as well. Here's a very professional Franklin Planner folio cover that's only $179.95 and it's real leather, saddle color - truly elegant, even for a Neanderthal Tooluser :D They lost their chance.

timshel

Post by timshel »

Add me to the list. My last day at work will be March 1, 2022. Best to all!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Minerva90 wrote:I stumbled across this group earlier today and would like to be added to the "class" list if possible. I'm turning 62 in October of this year and plan to retire either on my birthday or at the end of the calendar year... a difference of ~8 weeks, so not sure why I'm hair-splitting. :happy My wife is 57 and we're targeting 60 for her retirement. We're in a pretty good spot financially and are looking forward to enjoying our retirement! . . .
Hi Minerva90 and welcome to this Spectacular Retirement Roll Call! Yes, you're added to the Class List for 2022 :happy

We'll put you down for an Oct retirement punch-out date, but if you decide to work to the end of the year, we'll simply re-boot you! Yes it's only an 8-week difference - but what will you gain for it? I guess if it's 8 weeks for something good, well it's only 8 weeks. If it's 8 weeks of drudgery for too little reward, then decide if it's worth it.

Hope everything goes perfectly wonderful for you in retirement :beer
cork

Post by cork »

Please add me to this Roll Call!

December 30th, 2022 will be my last day, and I will turn 70 earlier in that month.
I work for a small company, and the people I work with, I've been working with for over 30 years. I expect not seeing them very often will be the most difficult part of this transition.

Currently, my time is filled with work, family, and volunteer work with charitable organizations. I plan to spend my retirement with a LOT more family time, which includes travelling, and keep up with the charitable works. And maybe try to get my yard back to the way it used to look :D

Thanks to the input and information from all the Bogleheads here, I believe financially, DW and I will be just fine going forward.

Very much looking forward to 2023!!!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Yaquiway wrote: My date is 12/31/2022. Seems strange but the clouds literally parted for me a couple days ago, and I just felt peace when I thought “this is the year.”
Very nice, Yaquiway, and congratulations on making your retirement decision :happy Appears to be a good decision at the right time. Welcome to the Roll Call and the Retirement Class of 2022 - we hope you continue to feel at peace during your glidepath to punch-out day.
Yaquiway wrote:. . . I’ll be 58 and have three pre college kids but they have generous 529’s. I’m lucky that my wife is 10 years younger and will carry insurance. If she early retires we’ll purchase insurance on the market place. We have had no debt for ages now and have saved 40x expenses. I have hundreds of patients to bid adieu and a brilliant junior partner to take care of them. I plan on giving six months notice because of all the patients to be rescheduled.
Sounds like well-thought-out plans and an emotional good-bye to the better part of your job. 8-)
Yaquiway wrote:. . . What will I do? Mainly heal my soul…for months. I have kids to shepherd , a dog that needs walking, a Taylor 814 that needs playing and a body that needs more exercise.
Peace.
Best wishes for a long and peaceful retirement :happy You have nice plans and we hope everything goes your way. Please keep us updated with your new retirement life.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LGAGA wrote: Thank you Miriam, count me in for Retirement Class 2022!
Age 56, looking at sometime in March. Can’t wait!
OK LGAGA, we counted you in for this Most Incredible Retirement Class of 2020 and we wish you a big welcome to the Roll Call :D Let us know your R-date when you pull the plug.

Ohh we know it's hard to wait for your R-date, but make sure you get all those papers filled out and turned in, think about your health care, and plan your first retirement adventure. Oh yes, almost forgot, take your Franklin Planners or whatever you used to keep your job in line and get rid of them with great good riddance 8-)

So, what's on the retirement list? :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

morsetaper2 wrote: Retiring April 1st! That's no joke. Just the last day of the final pay period of Q1 for my company. Seems like the time is right. And Spring will be springing when that day rolls around. I'll turn 63 in Feb.

Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, morsetaper2! Yes the time is right to retire on April 1st as Spring springs around :happy It will be a great beginning to a wonderful new season in more ways than you'll believe.

We hope your glidepath into retirement is good and that everything works out perfectly. Once you're out of the rat race, how do you plan to structure your time? and what are your plans for fun? We wish you a long, happy and enjoyable retirement :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

desiderium wrote: . . . I am 62 and financially secure. My kids are educated adults now pursuing interesting lives. I cut back my schedule last year and easily filled the time with exercise, cooking, and local travel. I have confidence in being able to fill the extra time: there are literally mountains to climb, races to run, family to visit, and hopefully the opportunity to travel before too long. . . .

Miriam, please put me down for July 1.
Will do! And welcome to this Marvelous Retirement Roll Call, desiderium - You're in the Class of 2022 - and only four months to go 8-)

Thank you for sharing your glidepath into retirement and plans for all your new free time. Looks like you have good meaning and purpose in retirement - please let us know how everything works out :happy

Ahh, now we move into the meaning and purpose of life :shock: :shock:
Yaquiway wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:07 pm I tried over the past few years to figure out a way to survive in a system which causes so much harm to patients and employees, but I suspected that the value clash could not be reconciled. My wife supports the decision. I am not happy but I am relieved. It’s the right thing to do.
What will I do? Mainly heal my soul…for months. I have kids to shepherd , a dog that needs walking, a Taylor 814 that needs playing and a body that needs more exercise.
Peace.
desiderium wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:00 pm Healing one's soul is possible, but will require leaving my career altogether. Enjoy your journey, Yaquiway.
tooluser wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:12 pm In many ways "Ditto". I'm not in the medical profession, but there are so many large corporate and societal mechanisms that diminish one's humanity. I look forward when I retire to rebuilding my body and slowing down to an appropriate level on so many things, yet accelerating others with focus.

Kind of by definition, a career is all-consuming. Like a rocket engine, it propels one forward but consumes valuable resources at an enormous rate and probably cannot be continued forever. There's a sustainability proposition over one's lifetime that, for the good of one's soul, must be met.
desiderium wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:07 am Well said!
I agree - well said and nicely put, Tooluser :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

apsuGuy wrote: An almost-never-poster here, but add me to the class of 2022 as well! . . . So put me down for March 31, 2022. I'm in a weird contract-like employment that ends then and could be renewed for a year, so that's gonna be it.
You're added to the class, apsuGuy, and March 31 is around the corner :beer Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call for 2022!
apsuGuy wrote:Wife closed her business due to covid-related downturns; she just turned 60. I'm 58, have a work-from-home job that is incredibly flexible and well paid (engineer at a national lab). I've gone back and forth and back and forth and back and forth ad nauseam on should I either quit and join her, or continue full time because my job is cushy, or transition to part time.

The combo of having a cousin who got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at 54, a father who just turned 89 and diagnosed with esophageal cancer and has been knocked on his ass and subsequently hospitalized after chemo/radiation, and feeling like I'm at the cusp of having 'enough' after plugging away at my 401(k) for 35 years, has made me realize the time to live is now. So I've decided I'm DONE, and couldn't be happier!
Thank you for sharing your path to the retirement decision. You certainly pondered this quite a bit, so certainly no regrets on punching out at this time, seems a very good decision. Health issues really strike the emotional chord. We're sorry your family has to go through these sad health issues.
apsuGuy wrote:My over-riding thought is that the wife and I need to figure out, by living it, what retirement 'looks like' for us as far as activity and daily routine, and no time like the present (well soon enough anyway) to get busy living the next step. We just did 2 weeks in Hawaii and getting up and having all day for 'us' was wonderful. Ready for that every day!
Nice story and we understand completely - "time to get busy living the next step." We wish you a long and very healthy retirement with lots of new living and restful pleasures. :D Let us know how you're able to create your new personal routine without the schedule of that old cushy job!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

aas wrote: Please add me to the class of 2022. I am done as of 1/1/2022 after nearly 30 years as a retail Pharmacist at the age of 53. Left my job at the end of June 2022 to start a new job for an outpatient Pharmacy dept. but job turned out to be not what I expected. I was burned out very quickly due to never ending work/stress/lack of life work balance. I was hoping to make it to my 55 birthday before retiring but I did not make it that far. I ran to the parking lot on my last day when my shift ended feeling happy and free from the daily grind.
Hi Aas and a Big Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! And you are one of the lucky members of this great Class of 2022!

What an unpleasant experience, job burn-out can be really awful. ** See upthread the posts by Yaquiway, desiderium and tooluser -

"Kind of by definition, a career is all-consuming. Like a rocket engine, it propels one forward but consumes valuable resources at an enormous rate and probably cannot be continued forever. There's a sustainability proposition over one's lifetime that, for the good of one's soul, must be met."
-- Tooluser

Thank you, Aas, for sharing your path to retirement with us - we're very happy you made the decision to leave that environment and retire, which you certainly earned after 30 years as a retail Pharmacist - no slouch 8-) And thank you for your service in that very important field during these virus times. We wish you a wonderful retirement :D
aas wrote: I ran to the parking lot on my last day when my shift ended feeling happy and free from the daily grind.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Can we look at the past retirement classes (class of 2021, 2020 etc etc)? Curious if the threads are the only place or we compile lists somewhere.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Marseille07 wrote: Can we look at the past retirement classes (class of 2021, 2020 etc etc)? Curious if the threads are the only place or we compile lists somewhere.
I'm not sure what you're asking, but yes, if you have the time, pour yourself a nice bourbon and peruse the complete Bogleheads "Retirement Roll Call Series" :D

Link to Retirement Class of 1998

Link to Retirement Class of 2014

Link to Retirement Class of 2015

Link to Retirement Class of 2016

Link to Retirement Class of 2017

Link to Retirement Class of 2018

Link to Retirement Class of 2019

Link to Retirement Class of 2020

Link to Retirement Class of 2021

For anyone not on the older Roll Call lists, it is never too late, just click on the applicable link and add your name to the list!
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:19 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Can we look at the past retirement classes (class of 2021, 2020 etc etc)? Curious if the threads are the only place or we compile lists somewhere.
I'm not sure what you're asking, but yes, if you have the time, pour yourself a nice bourbon and peruse the complete Bogleheads "Retirement Roll Call Series" :D

Link to Retirement Class of 1998

Link to Retirement Class of 2014

Link to Retirement Class of 2015

Link to Retirement Class of 2016

Link to Retirement Class of 2017

Link to Retirement Class of 2018

Link to Retirement Class of 2019

Link to Retirement Class of 2020

Link to Retirement Class of 2021

For anyone not on the older Roll Call lists, it is never too late, just click on the applicable link and add your name to the list!
This is what I was looking for. Thank you!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Marseille07 wrote: This is what I was looking for. Thank you!
You're welcome! And when you're done reading all the Retirement Roll Calls, if you find any goofs, please let me know :D
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:28 pm
Marseille07 wrote: This is what I was looking for. Thank you!
You're welcome! And when you're done reading all the Retirement Roll Calls, if you find any goofs, please let me know :D
I think the roll calls are the most well-curated lists here.

I just wish these two folks eventually graduate:
The Infinity Retirement Class 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020/2021 . . . to infinity and beyond!! . . .)
HomerJ (class of 2021 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Marseille07 wrote: I just wish these two folks eventually graduate:
The Infinity Retirement Class 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020/2021 . . . to infinity and beyond!! . . .)
HomerJ (class of 2021 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .)
Ahhh - look up-thread ^^ - TheTimeLord hath retired :D
HomerJ - well, yes, we all wish the S&P would reach 5,000 so he can retire :wink:
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Hi Everyone,
Just checking in to confirm that I am now retired as of end Feb. I’m planning to spend more time traveling with my wife, skiing, kayaking, reading, and eventually volunteering once I find the right opportunities. Also opening my mind to any and all possibilities now that w*rk is no longer part of the repertoire!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Escapevelocity wrote: Hi Everyone,
Just checking in to confirm that I am now retired as of end Feb. I’m planning to spend more time traveling with my wife, skiing, kayaking, reading, and eventually volunteering once I find the right opportunities. Also opening my mind to any and all possibilities now that w*rk is no longer part of the repertoire!
Thanks for checking in, Escapevelocity! Nice to know you DID retire and it sounds like you are very much enjoying the planning of your very active future life - and judging from your plans, looks like you just might "escape velocity" :mrgreen: We wish you all the best for a very happy and adventure-filled retirement.

Have you changed your opinion of Stevia? 🤣 🤣
expo62

Post by expo62 »

After many years of self-employment followed by 14 years at megacorp, I'm planning on joning the "leisure class" this June.
I have to admit that it's more bittersweet than I anticipated, and the decision does not have some regrets and anxiety associated with it.
I'm currently 59 years old, in good health, and feel physically up to continuing meaningful employment, but psychologically...Im done. I hope I can make a smooth transition to the decumulation stage, but suspect I may struggle with adjusting to not earning an income. Still, i'm looking forward to spending more time with wife and friends, hopefully doing all the things I never made time for before.
I've posted our situation for feedback here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=372390&newpost=6558 ... ead#unread

For now add me on to the class of 2022!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

260chrisb wrote: I'm making the call in the morning; I'm 60, been with my company 20 years, worked in my career field 30 years, and have worked 42 years full time uninterrupted since the age of 18. Short of some financial incentive to stay (which I would cap at 3 additional months) the plan is to clock out Friday 4-1-2022! I've looked forward to and planned for this event for many years and of course saved for it for 24 years.
260chrisb wrote: Well, I did it!! The call went well. They are likely going to want me to stay more than the 60 days I've offered but that's yet to be confirmed by anyone above my current manager nor does an additional few months change or impact my decision. The end has begun! I've planned and thought about this so much over the past couple years as my predetermined date neared that it seemed to be just another work related call. I wasn't nervous, didn't lose a minute of sleep over it last night, and have no second thoughts!! Odd with something I've had no experience with!! :D
Congratulations on your excellent Call With The Boss - we're as happy as you are that you pulled it off with finesse and are delighted with the response :D Welcome to this Marvelous Retirement Roll Call of 2022 and all the extraordinary benefits that come with it!

Good time to retire - like most of us, you basically worked your entire life - I mean, even helping our parents wash the dishes and clean the hamster cage and having to make your bed as a teen is really hard work - so yes, we worked our whole life :wink: Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope you really enjoy this countdown to punch-out day and planning for your upcoming retirement free time. Please let us know what you're planning!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Pre-Retirement & Retirement Life Stage Chapter meeting- "Relocating for Retirement"

Post by Miriam2 »

The Pre-Retirement & Retirement Life Stage Chapters are hosting a meeting on Wed. March 23, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET with an interesting open discussion on "Relocating for Retirement".

Something to think about if you're headed into retirement - are you going to relocate? And if you have retired, did you relocate or decide not to? Many things to talk about - the pros and cons of relocating, decisions to make, things to look out for, logistics of moving, settling into a new place, from HCOL to LCOL or to a more expensive place, closer to family or farther away, sunshine & seashore or mountains & snow, another state or another country - there's lots to consider and share with others in an open discussion :happy

Here is the zoom link and the complete zoom link is on the https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of events

All Bogleheads are invited, retirement planning will be on your mind before you know it!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Jtdmn wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:46 am Please put an asterisk by my Dec 31, 2022 retirement date. The plan is to rent a place in our warm weather destination to test it out before we sell our house and move full time. I have decided that during this "test" period I want to continue to have some work income coming in. DW has been retired about 2 years now. My boss will support me If I want to go part time (upper management and the client will have to approve but we are optimistic they will.) I would then work part time well into next year. The asterisk is because this is a work in progress and we are early in the year so things could change. BTW I will be 64 on Dec. 31, 2022.
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, Jtdmn, and we'll include you in the 2022 Class with a punch-out date of Dec. 31 :D What a great New Year's Eve party you're gonna have!

Thanks for sharing your retirement plans and your relocating ideas. You would probably be interested in the Pre-Retirement & Retirement Life Stage Chapter meeting on Wed. March 23, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET with an interesting open discussion on "Relocating for Retirement". See the post above this for all the details and zoom link.

We hope all your plans are successful and that your move to a warmer climate leads to a fabulous retirement :D
Jtdmn wrote:Also, I am a very long time lurker on this board. Seems like at least 20 years if it goes back that far. I decided to finally create an account just to post in the retirement roll call thread.
Wow! - are we honored! But of course - being welcomed to The Retirement Roll Call is surely the most highly coveted honor on the Bogleheads forum and we provide the most sought-after benefits possible after years of toiling in the trenches 8-)

And now that you'll be retired, you can post more often and help others with their financial path to retirement. Please keep us posted with your adventures!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

DA200 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:31 pm 55 / 54 yrs of age
After 30 years as a professor at an R1 university I am looking forward to never writing another research proposal or sitting through another faculty meeting.
The next chapter of my life begins on May 31, 2022! My only concern is not having enough time for several hobbies, exercise, and experiences with family and friends. Also hoping my DW will figure out how to step down as partner in her medical practice this year.
Most of my colleagues that are in their 60s, 70s, and 80s think I am crazy and all appear to have plans of spending their final days of life on campus writing another proposal, journal article, or textbook….
Hi DA200 and a big welcome to this Most Wonderful Retirement Roll Call for the Class of 2022! As a proud member of this class, you won't have to ever write another research proposal, write another research paper or textbook or article, and will never have to sit through a faculty meeting :D in fact, you can graduate without any high flying professor stuff at all - all you need to do is PUNCH OUT 8-)

Being a professor at an R1 university is quite an honor, an being a retired professor from an R1 university is an even bigger honor - you made it through the slog and now you can spend your time enjoying all the activities you have planned :happy Thank you for sharing your experience.

We wish you a very wonderful retirement and for sure, you'll be able to find the time for your hobbies and exercise and fun with family and friends. Please keep us posted on how you're able to re-structure your time with all you have planned. :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

just1question wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:48 am Put me down for July 1, 2022. Age 54.

My employers, who were supposed to be my friends (SMH), reneged on a financial commitment that was part of the reason I took the job. Their excuse made no sense. I think 28 years of practicing law is enough. I'm not sure what's next, other than something different. If I don't quit by July 1, 2022, I hereby give forum members permission to insult me and call me all types of disparaging names.
Haha! We're not going to call you any disparaging names - remember, this is a Family Friendly Forum :happy and we also understand the dilemma about retiring. However, if you're done practicing law after a good career, and have had enough of all that arguing and writing and arguing and researching and arguing, and you saved enough to retire, and you have nothing else on the burners employment-wise that you would consider - then why not retire?

We'll put you in the class for July 1 and if you change your mind, we'll simply re-boot you! But let us know what changed your mind :D We hope whatever you choose to do, that you are successful and feel good about your decision.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

timshel wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:20 am Add me to the list. My last day at work will be March 1, 2022. Best to all!

welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and the Wonderful Class of 2022, timshel :D How does it feel to be retired and free to spend your days doing your own things on your own schedule? Wishing you many years of retirement wonder and good health and wealth along the way. Please let us know what you're up to and how everything is going :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

cork wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:01 pm Please add me to this Roll Call!
December 30th, 2022 will be my last day, and I will turn 70 earlier in that month.
Wow!! A big congratulations to you for your years of hard work and now a wonderful retirement opening up! Welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Roll Call and the Intrepid Class of 2022 :D
cork wrote:I work for a small company, and the people I work with, I've been working with for over 30 years. I expect not seeing them very often will be the most difficult part of this transition.
:( The sad part of leaving such a job - but now there's Zoom! You can zoom with them every day - and also, as part of the new Rite of Passage for our retirees - you could take out all your Franklin Planners from work and leave them for your colleagues still working away 8-)
cork wrote:Currently, my time is filled with work, family, and volunteer work with charitable organizations. I plan to spend my retirement with a LOT more family time, which includes travelling, and keep up with the charitable works.
Sounds wonderful :happy
cork wrote:And maybe try to get my yard back to the way it used to look :D
Oh good luck with that LOL! Home ownership is truly an endless battle with vegetation . . .
cork wrote:Thanks to the input and information from all the Bogleheads here, I believe financially, DW and I will be just fine going forward.
Very much looking forward to 2023!!!
We wish you and your family all the best in this new phase of life and hope you enjoy a very long and happy retirement :sharebeer