"Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter "Master Thread"

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

"Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter "Master Thread"

Post by sleepysurf »

Greetings Bogleheads! We're pleased to announce the formation of the "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter.

Mission: To share perspectives and resources focusing on topics relevant for near/current retirees

This will be one of four "Life Stage" Virtual Chapters that focus on key issues for each phase of the investing life cycle...
-- Starting Out
-- Mid Life/Career/Accumulator
-- Pre/Early Retirement
-- Retired

Future meetings will include presentations and/or open Q&A from among these broad categories...
-- Sources of Income
-- Social Security
-- Withdrawal / Decumulation Strategies
-- Spending Levels
-- Managing Debt
-- Asset Allocation / Location
-- Roth Conversions
-- Tax Planning
-- Estate Planning
-- Charitable Giving
-- Insurance Needs
-- Annuities
-- Non-Financial Considerations

The initial Coordinators for the Retired Life Stage Chapter are sleepysurf and Rob54keep. We'd like to add two more Coordinators, to assist with Chapter development and programming. If interested, please PM either of us, or inquire during a meeting.

The Life Stage Virtual Chapters are intended to complement the geographic-based BH Local Chapters and BH Speaker Series. Down the road, we'll schedule guest presenters for deeper dives into specific sub-topics, and will also be linking to relevant resources in the BH Wiki. Please Subscribe to (or Bookmark) this thread for future updates.
Last edited by sleepysurf on Thu May 20, 2021 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Re: "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter "Master Thread"

Post by sleepysurf »

Our first "Retired" Life Stage meeting will be Tue, June 8th, on Zoom, starting 8 PM (Eastern).

Our Initial Discussion Topic will be... I'm From the Retirement Class of "XXXX" and These Are Some Lessons I've Learned... with open Q&A to follow, addressing whatever else is on participants minds.

You can RSVP for the meeting (and submit questions or other discussion topics) here... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link
All responses are anonymous. The Zoom link will be posted in the BH Calendar of Events at least one week prior to the meeting, and will also be shared with all the Local Chapters.
Last edited by sleepysurf on Mon May 24, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

sleepysurf wrote: Greetings Bogleheads! We're pleased to announce the formation of the "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter.

Mission: To share perspectives and resources focusing on topics relevant for near/current retirees
sleepysurf wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:04 am Our first "Retired" Life Stage meeting will be Tue, June 8th, on Zoom, starting 8 PM (Eastern).

Our Initial Discussion Topic will be... I'm From the Retirement Class of "XXXX" and These Are Some Lessons I've Learned... with open Q&A to follow, addressing whatever else is on participants minds.
This is a truly welcomed idea for a Life Stage chapter and I'm sure it will be a great success :D

Looking forward to your first Retired Life Stage meeting, and thanks for letting the Retirement Roll Call know!
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Thanks to all who have submitted questions and topic suggestions, thus far, along with their RSVP responses (link... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link). Keep them coming! We'll randomly pick some, along with "live" questions, and discuss as many as we can during the meeting.
-- With so many retirement drawdown strategies, how should we decide which is best for us?
-- Techniques or tools other use to do tax planning
-- How do we begin to discuss (or not) our finances with our children?
-- Recommend what percent of stocks and bonds to hold as you grow older in retirement?
-- I would like to hear advice about working with an elder law attorney to establish a trust, especially for a solo concerned about the possibility of cognitive decline.
-- What's ONE thing you wish you knew before retiring?
-- Do you involve your CPA and/or financial advisor when you draft/review/finalize your estate planning documents as for tax strategies? If you do involve, how much do you share with your CPA or FA?
-- How to handle health insurance if retired before 65
-- What surprises have you encountered that you could have been better prepared for
To ensure that everybody is comfortable asking their questions, and/or answering, we will NOT be recording the meeting. However, for a more social interaction, we'll encourage all participants to be "on-camera", but that will be optional.

Lastly, those of you who expressed interest in helping out as Chapter Co-Coordinators, please send a PM if you wish more info prior to the meeting. We (along with the other "Life Stage" and "Local Chapter" Coordinators) are sharing LOTS of ideas and resources via a (private) Bogle Center authorized Groups.io email list, which already has 44 members.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

My apologies. For some reason, the RSVP/Survey Form links above stopped working. They are now updated, and functional again.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Based upon the RSVP's thus far, and additional submitted questions, we expect a large turnout for this first "Retired" Life Stage meeting, with many topics discussed. We'll alternate between pre-submitted questions, and those submitted "live" via the Zoom "Chat" feature. Of note, we will NOT be recording the meeting, so everybody can feel comfortable asking and answering questions. The Zoom link has now been posted on the BH Calendar of Events... https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

For those interested in attending, you can still (anonymously) RSVP and submit additional questions here... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I would remind attendees that you can save the Zoom "Chat" session.

When you're in a meeting, open the chat window --> More (bottom right corner, may show as ellipse ...) --> Save chat.

A text file is saved on your computer in the default location. Windows, it's in Documents --> Zoom --> (Folder titled with meeting info).

This is also a good time to be sure that your Zoom app is up-to-date. In the Zoom app, click on your login icon (upper-right corner) --> Check for Updates.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Wow! Thus far we've had well over 100 RSVP's, with many more great questions submitted...
-- I would like to see some focus on the so-called "4% rule", as it pertains to asset-allocation, and how dangerous it can be to annually add an inflation-kicker. The idea being that portfolio "success" can be at risk (i.e. you could run out of money in n years).
-- At what age (actual or years post-retirement) can you stop worrying about Sequence of Returns Risk?
-- Before RMDs are required, and as a single person, does it pay to Roth convert qualified money and pay taxes from the qualified account to avoid going into a tax bracket at least two steps above the current tax bracket?
-- What are some tools to help a person who wants to defer retirement (to maximize social security for example) to figure out how much it makes sense to earn before , and after starting to collect. I am self employed and prefer to wind down than stop working.
-- Retired: How do I handle inheritance of Annuity (non-spouse 5-yr Rule) with substantial gains and IRA (10-year Rule) which will impact taxes, planned conversions, medicare costs?
-- Drawdown strategy for retirement (4% rule, flex strategy)
-- How much (or what percentage of portfolio) should be set aside in fixed income and/or bonds if retiring prior to annuity or social security kicking in?
-- Key financial things I need to know as we coast towards that magic 65 years of age
-- Fixed income: What is "better" sources of (semi) safe yield... and how to evaluate? MYGA's, other?
-- How to deal with uncertainity of health care expenses, long term care expenses etc ...
Obviously, we won't be able to cover them all. We'll randomly pick one, and field participant responses (via the Zoom "raised hand icon") for ~5-10 mins per question, then move on to another. We'll also take some live questions as well, via the Chat box.

Most BH virtual meetings of this magnitude, have been focused presentations by one, or a few, individuals. So this format will be a bit of an experiment, and we appreciate everybody's patience and understanding. Fortunately, we have a number of volunteer Moderators to assist.

We'll leave a few mins at the end for feedback/suggestions for future meetings.

I'll reiterate LadyGeek's suggestion to make sure you are running the latest version of Zoom. If you don't already have it, you can download it (free) here... https://zoom.us/download?_ga=2.28179644 ... t_4meeting

Also, meeting participants can temporarily change their visible Username, if desired. See... https://teaching.nmc.edu/knowledgebase/ ... m-meeting/
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Here's another reminder that our first meeting will be Tue, June 8th, starting 8 PM (EDT). You can still RSVP and submit questions here... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

Additional details in recent posts above.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Thanks to all who participated in last night's first "Retired" Life Stage meeting, especially Robert (my Co-Coordinator), and volunteer Moderators Miriam, Keith, and Jim. We really appreciated the valuable insights from Taylor, Mel, and all the others who graciously answered questions. We couldn't possibly cover all the pre-submitted (and chat) questions, but plan to address many of those topics in future meetings. ​BTW, I apologize for not responding to the "Direct Messages" sent to me during the meeting, but I had to focus on the main screen and participants list to coordinate everything.

Upon reviewing the "Chat" today, I see that LadyGeek posted some helpful Wiki links, and Jim posted links for other recorded Chapter meetings, and many others responded to questions or suggested other online resources. Unfortunately, for privacy reasons, we did not record the meeting, and cannot publicly share the "Chat" transcript.

Lastly, whomever "C Spea" is, please PM me so I can follow up on your offer to assist as a Chapter Co-Coordinator. Likewise, for anybody else would like to help out with the Retired (or any of the other three) Life Stage Chapters, please reach out!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Here are chat comments containing links (or references) and are presented anonymously without context. Several of those comments are not from me.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Wiki article Outline for retired life stage started using some of the posts from this topic.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Thank you LadyGeek and Peculiar_Investor for the Wiki links!

For the time being, we plan on quarterly virtual meetings for the Retired Life Stage, so next meeting should be ~mid September.

In the meantime, here are two retirement-focused podcasts I've recently discovered, with lots of relevant content, and hosts that (generally) embrace the Boglehead philosophy...

Ready for Retirement (with James Canole, MBA, CFP)
Stay Wealthy (with Taylor Schulte, CFP)

Feel free to suggest other other online resources that specifically focus on the retired demographic. BTW, we'll gladly welcome additional volunteers to help plan Retired Life Stage meetings. Please PM if interested.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

My apologies for this last minute notice. If there are any prospective volunteers interested in helping with the Retired Life Stage chapter, we're having a brief (30-40 min) informational Zoom meeting tonight at 8 PM EST. Feel free to ask questions, with no obligation to commit. If interested, please PM me and I'll forward the Zoom link.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

FYI, we now have FOUR volunteer Co-Coordinators for the "Retired" Life Stage. We'll formally introduce the newest members of the team shortly. For now, we're planning quarterly meetings, with the next one being an informal Q&A Zoom discussion ~mid-Sept (date/time still pending).
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

We're very pleased to welcome Henry and Raj as additional Retired Life Stage coordinators. We're all looking forward to organizing engaging discussions and/or presentations for our cohort!

Towards that end, we've (tentatively) planned our next virtual meeting for Tue Sept 21, from 8-10 PM Eastern. Our first meeting in June was open Q&A (a bit challenging to moderate on Zoom), so we'd appreciate feedback/suggestions on whether to stick with that format again, or focus on a more specific topic or two. If the latter, please suggest general topics you're most interested in (or PM me with names of possible presenters). We'll take all suggestions into consideration, and plan accordingly.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Our second "Retired" Life Stage meeting, on Zoom, is now confirmed for Tue Sept 21 at 8 PM Eastern (5 pm Pacific, 6 pm Mountain, 7 pm Central).

Targeted audience: "Retired" Life Stage (but others always welcome)

We'd greatly appreciate suggestions for the meeting format and discussion topics. You can anonymously submit questions, feedback, and RSVP's here... https://forms.gle/qQfYtTn6BD4E7ETa8

We'll post the Zoom link (at least one week prior to the meeting) on the BH Calendar of Events... https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/ Stay tuned for more meeting details soon.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just a reminder about our RSVP/Survey form for the upcoming Retired Life Stage meeting Sept 21. You can suggest topics/questions and give feedback re meeting format here... https://forms.gle/qQfYtTn6BD4E7ETa8

BTW, we do not maintain an email list the for Retired Life Stage Chapter, so we strongly recommend "Subscribing" to this Master Thread, to receive email alerts of new posts.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just a reminder, for those interested, to please fill our RSVP/Survey form for the upcoming Retired Life Stage meeting Sept 21. You can suggest topics/questions and give feedback re meeting format here... https://forms.gle/qQfYtTn6BD4E7ETa8

The chapter coordinators will use your feedback to plan for the upcoming, and future, meetings.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Update re our Sept 21st meeting.

Our coordinators appreciate all the feedback and suggested topics/questions submitted. We agree we should have a theme, so we've titled this meeting... “Loosening the Purse Strings in Retirement- Sharing Withdrawal and Spending Perspectives.”

It will be an open Q&A format, where the coordinators will read from pre-submitted questions, and call upon participants in chronologic order (via the "raised hand icon") to answer/comment. We'll devote time at the end for questions submitted via Chat, and, if we exhaust this topic, will open it up for any other retirement related questions. The meeting will begin 8 PM (*Eastern*), and run up to 2 hrs.

As before, for privacy reasons, the meeting will NOT be recorded, so we encourage participants to be on video (at least when answering/commenting). You can RSVP and submit your questions for this meeting topic here... https://forms.gle/qQfYtTn6BD4E7ETa8

The Zoom link will be posted on the BH Calendar of Events at least one week prior to the meeting.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

**Flash update**

Disregard the above. Wade Pfau has graciously agreed (despite short notice) to give a presentation on retirement, followed by Q&A, for our Sept 21 meeting. His presentation (but not the Q&A segment) will be recorded. We'll save the original topic for a future date.

You can still RSVP here... https://forms.gle/qQfYtTn6BD4E7ETa8

Stay tuned for more updates.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Meeting update! Wade Pfau, Ph.D., CFA, will be presenting two topics for tomorrow's Zoom meeting (8 PM *Eastern*)...
  • How can Retirement Income Style (RISA) be a useful tool for Bogleheads?
  • Tax Planning for Efficient Retirement Distributions
We'll take some questions after each segment, but due to time constraints, will not be able to address them all.

The Zoom link can be found on the BH Calendar of Events

If you plan to attend, please RSVP here, so we'll have a better idea of head count.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just a final reminder about tonight's meeting from 8-10 PM (*Eastern*). See post above for RSVP link, and where to get the Zoom link. Wade's presentations will be recorded, but not the Q&A segments. Hope to see you there!
RVdreamin

Post by RVdreamin »

Wade's presentation(s) were terrific--I really enjoyed the session and am looking forward to getting the slides.

To follow up one of the questions from his second presentation (in which he showed what appeared to be a rather complex Excel tab) is there any software (or spreadsheet) available that would help calculate efficient retirement distributions after considering all the complexities of taxes, SS, medicare, RMDs, and the trade-offs between brokerage, IRA, and RIRA accounts?

I think Wade mentioned developing the tool he displayed during his presentation himself (and it taking him several iterations to get it right). The chat mentioned the Retiree Portfolio Model...would that produce suitable results for all these different variables?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The meeting is now on YouTube: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Wade Pfau on Retirement Income Style Analysis, Tax Efficiency

Sorry, but the slides will not be made available. After the meeting via email, Wade stated that the slides were not intended to be distributed to the general public.

I'm the one that linked to the Retiree Portfolio Model. It's my tool of choice for retirement distribution planning, as you can completely customize it for your own situation. The spreadsheet can be challenging for some, but it makes you think about everything you need to consider.
RVdreamin

Post by RVdreamin »

Thanks LadyGeek. I'm disappointed the slides won't be made available but I'll rewatch his presentation (which is great). Thanks for the reference to the Retiree Portfolio Model; I'm one of those that is challenged by the model but I need to spend more time in it and reading the thread on it, too.

Thanks again!
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

RVdreamin wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:52 pm ...I'm disappointed the slides won't be made available but I'll rewatch his presentation (which is great)...
At least you can pause (even rewind) the recorded presentation at any point, and study the slides in greater detail, which many of them deserve.
JAusten

Post by JAusten »

I would like to sign up for this group, Retired Life Stage. How do I accomplish this?

Thank you,
JAusten
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

JAusten wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:08 pm I would like to sign up for this group, Retired Life Stage. How do I accomplish this?

Thank you,
JAusten
Just "Subscribe" to this thread for email alerts of new posts and upcoming virtual meetings. We currently plan to have quarterly meetings, but will also partner with other "Life Stage" or "Local" Chapter meetings if additional relevant topics. You can also sign up for the inclusive Boglehead Chapter Series email group for notifications about all Life Stage and Local Chapter meetings. Instructions for that can be found on the BH Calendar of Events page (below the Calendar).
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

The "Pre/Early Retirement" and "Retired" Life Stage chapters will be hosting a (virtual) meeting on Wednesday, November 10, 2021, on Zoom, starting 7 PM (Central).

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

Guest speaker Jill Steinberg, Ph.D. Topic: Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring... making the retirement experience successful and purposeful. Note: this is not a financial discussion, but rather a discussion of how to prepare yourself for a happy and fulfilling retirement.

The format of the meeting is as follows: First, a question and answer interview/discussion with Jill Steinberg and a host. The approximately 20 questions will include a sampling of those pre-submitted on the RSVP form before November 3, along with some questions by the hosts. The interview portion will be followed by a Q&A session of approximately one hour. The questions for the Q&A will be a combination of those pre-submitted questions not chosen for the interview, questions pre-submitted after November 3, questions entered into the chat window during the presentation, and questions asked directly by participants during the Q&A portion.

Targeted audience: Pre/Early Retirement and Retired Life Stages (but others always welcome)

You can RSVP for the meeting and submit questions here (all responses are anonymous)...
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... g/viewform

The Zoom link will be posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events a week before the meeting.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Another reminder about this upcoming meeting.

You can RSVP for the meeting and submit advance questions here (all responses are anonymous)...
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... g/viewform

The Zoom link will be posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events a week before the meeting.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Final reminder for tomorrow's meeting with Jill Steinberg, Ph.D. She'll be addressing the ever important non-financial aspects of retirement.

Topic: Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring... making the retirement experience successful and purposeful.

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

See above post for RSVP link. Zoom link has been posted in the BH Calendar of Events.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Those planning to attend tonight's meeting should ensure that their Zoom software is up-to-date.

You can update to the latest version here: Upgrading Zoom to the latest version
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Looking forward to tonight's meeting. The speaker, Jill Stienberg Ph.D. Emeritus Professor from San Jose State University will be talking about non-financial issues - Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring.

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

See above post for RSVP link. Zoom link has been posted in the BH Calendar of Events.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The recording is now available on YouTube: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Jill Steinberg - Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring A link to the anonymized chat is in the show description.

Current and prior meeting info is in the blog: Virtual online chapter presentations
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

FYI, the NYC Local Chapter is hosting a Zoom meeting on Mon, Dec 6, that may be relevant for those retired, or on the verge...

NYC Bogleheads - Retirement Distributions
When: Mon, December 6, 8pm – 9pm *Eastern*

Steve from the Philly Bogleheads has offered to moderate a discussion on the topic of distributions in retirement:
Retirement Distributions Discussion

Objectives:
1. To not experience Money Death
2. To maximize your (or your heir’s) spending dollars

Sources of Income:
1. Social Security
2. IRA’s
3. Roth IRA’s
4. Non-Tax Sheltered Accounts
5. Pensions?
6. Other: Royalties, Business Income, Consulting, etc.

Paycheck Replacement:

How to go about creating a regular stream of income to support your retirement life style.
The Zoom link is available in the BH Calendar of Events.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The NYC local chapter meeting wasn't recorded, but the slides, chat, and notes are available in the blog. See: Virtual online chapter presentations

The chat has been edited to remove all personally identifiable information.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

During the NYC chapter meeting, a member sent me a private chat explaining that the TSP (federal Thrift Savings Plan) can not make QCDs (Qualified Charitable Distributions). Instead, the funds need to be moved to an IRA.

This information was not on the TSP website, nor was it in the wiki. I have revised the wiki and discuss it here: Re: Fed Retirees and the TSP
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

FYI, the Metro Boston Bogleheads Chapter will be hosting a virtual meeting tomorrow with Christine Benz, from 10 AM -12 Noon Eastern. Her presentation "What If This Turns Out To Be A Terrible Time To Retire?" should be of interest for many retirees, and will be followed by open Q&A. The Zoom link has been posted in the BH Calendar of Events.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

sleepysurf wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:22 am FYI, the Metro Boston Bogleheads Chapter will be hosting a virtual meeting tomorrow with Christine Benz, from 10 AM -12 Noon Eastern. Her presentation "What If This Turns Out To Be A Terrible Time To Retire?" should be of interest for many retirees, and will be followed by open Q&A. The Zoom link has been posted in the BH Calendar of Events.
Will this meeting be recorded for viewing later?
Thanks
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

McDougal wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:34 am Will this meeting be recorded for viewing later?
Thanks
Christine's presentation is being recorded, along with portions of the Q&A segment.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

The "Pre/Early Retirement" and "Retired" Life Stage chapters will be hosting a meeting on Wednesday, February 23, 2022, on Zoom, starting 7 PM (Central).

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

Topic: Finding Your Purpose in Retirement.

Following our November 10th meeting with Professor Jill Steinberg - Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring, we have scheduled a follow-up meeting to explore the non-financial issues that Bogleheads have experienced when moving into retirement, and how those preparing for retirement can better plan for this transition.
Background:
Jill Steinberg, Ph.D. is an Emeritus Professor at San Jose State University, Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Salzburg Fellow, and author and Founder of MyRetirementWorks.com. She received her undergraduate degree from Boston University in 1972 and doctorate in Clinical Psychology from Ohio State University in 1978. She teaches classes and has presented her research on Successful Retirement to universities including B.U., Google and other professional organizations.

Her research, “Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring” was published this year in: The Aging Consumer: Perspectives from Psychology and Marketing, 2nd edition, Eds: Drolet and Yoon (Routledge, 2021). Additionally, she has been working with the University of Michigan Ross Business School since the beginning of COVID.
Meeting Format: A small number of volunteers will be selected in advance, who are willing to be interviewed by Jill during the Zoom meeting (anonymously, if desired). Everybody else will observe, with opportunity to ask questions and share perspectives later.

You can RSVP (anonymously) for the meeting here... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... &w=1&flr=0
If you are willing to be interviewed (optional), also include your first name, last initial, and email address, and you will be contacted privately with further details.

Agenda:
- 1st hour- Jill interviews the volunteers, discussing how "Finding Purpose in Retirement" has applied to their own lives.
- 2nd hour- Open discussion among all participants on the topic

Targeted audience: Pre/Early Retirement and Retirement Life Stages (but others always welcome)

Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just a reminder about this upcoming Life Stage meeting. It includes the opportunity to (anonymously) discuss your personal experience with "finding purpose in retirement" with guest Jill Steinberg, Ph.D. and the rest of us. Meeting RSVP link (including optional contact submission) is here... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... &w=1&flr=0
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

As a prelude to this interactive meeting, Jill recommends watching this TEDx video... Victor Strecher - Life on Purpose: How Living for What Matters Changes Everything

Even if you DON'T plan to participate in this meeting, I highly recommend watching it, as it's thought provoking and emotional.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Final reminder about tonight's meeting...
5 PM Pacific | 6 PM Mountain | 7 PM Central | 8 PM Eastern

We have over 90 RSVP's, and quite a few volunteer panelists who have graciously agreed to be interviewed by Dr. Steinberg, to share their experiences with Finding Purpose in Retirement. Zoom link is posted in the BH Calendar of Events.

FYI, to protect panelists privacy, the meeting will NOT be recorded.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The recorded chat from last night's meeting is now available in the blog: Virtual online chapter presentations

All personal information has been removed.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Our "Retired" Life Stage chapter will be hosting another virtual Zoom meeting on Tue, April 12, starting 8 PM (Eastern) and running up to 2 hours...

Format: Open Q&A session discussing a variety of topics, such as...
  • How are you dealing with inflation and increased market volatility?
  • Have you made (or contemplated) any changes in your portfolio/asset allocation?
  • What tools have you found most helpful for retirement planning?
  • Others (can suggest in our RSVP Form).

To encourage open discussion (preferably with video), and protect participants privacy, the meeting will NOT be recorded. You can RSVP for the meeting and suggest additional topics for discussion here (all responses are anonymous)... RSVP Link

The Zoom link will be posted on the BH Calendar of Events at least one week before the meeting.

Stay tuned for additional updates.

Also, prior to that, the "Pre/Early" and "Retired" Life Stages are jointly hosting a virtual meeting on Wed, March 23, likewise starting...

Topic: Open discussion about Relocating for Retirement

Full details can be found here... viewtopic.php?p=6546919#p6546919
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just a quick reminder about these two upcoming meetings that may be relevant for Pre/Current Retirees...

Tomorrow evening starting 8 PM Eastern Open Discussion about Relocating for Retirement Full details here

Tue, April 12, also starting 8 PM Eastern Open Q&A (covering various topics) RSVP link here
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The recorded chat from last night's meeting (relocating for retirement) is now available in the blog: Virtual online chapter presentations

All personal information has been removed.

(The video was not recorded.)
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just a reminder about our upcoming "Retired" Life Stage Zoom meeting on Tue, April 12, starting 8 PM (Eastern)

Format: Open Q&A session discussing a variety of topics, such as...
  • How are you dealing with inflation and increased market volatility?
  • Have you made (or contemplated) any changes in your portfolio/asset allocation?
  • What tools have you found most helpful for retirement planning?
  • Others (can suggest in our RSVP Form).

To encourage open discussion (preferably with video), and protect participants privacy, the meeting will NOT be recorded. You can RSVP for the meeting and suggest additional topics for discussion here (all responses are anonymous)... RSVP Link

The Zoom link has been posted in the BH Calendar of Events.