Let's play chess

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
halfnine

Re: Let's play chess

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:16 am
halfnine wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:58 am Most of the GMs don't think Levy will become a GM simply at least in part because they don't believe he can dedicate enough time and energy to do it while cranking out YouTube videos, streaming, etc. Personally, I have no idea whether he has the tactical acumen to do it or not or how much time it requires to achieve that status. However, I can say that he gets tilted way to easily and quickly shuts down if the game doesn't go his way and this isn't helping his cause. Time spent with a sports psychologist would be money well spent for him.
It's a tough situation imo, I don't know how much he's making on YouTube but I suspect he's earning a living there; which means he has to keep on pumping the contents or else the income stream dries up.
Based on some of what I have heard, he is at least making something in the realm of 500k to 1M per year. Of course, that is not all YouTube but I think it is fair to say that he needs to continue to pump out YouTube and/or stream to continue the success. Add, oddly enough, documenting the attempt to become a GM drives his success even more. If he ultimately doesn't become a GM because he never puts enough time into, well, I for one won't be critical. He has an opportunity to make a lot of money and that might not last more than a few years and it should be his priority.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:40 am Based on some of what I have heard, he is at least making something in the realm of 500k to 1M per year. Of course, that is not all YouTube but I think it is fair to say that he needs to continue to pump out YouTube and/or stream to continue the success. Add, oddly enough, documenting the attempt to become a GM drives his success even more. If he ultimately doesn't become a GM because he never puts enough time into, well, I for one won't be critical. He has an opportunity to make a lot of money and that might not last more than a few years and it should be his priority.
How is he making 500k to 1M :shock: You're absolutely right that that should be his priority. Becoming a GM doesn't net him 500k to 1M per year.

He's not far off from a GM level (around 2500) but his peak rating was in 2018: https://ratings.fide.com/profile/2039877/chart
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:44 am
halfnine wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:40 am Based on some of what I have heard, he is at least making something in the realm of 500k to 1M per year. Of course, that is not all YouTube but I think it is fair to say that he needs to continue to pump out YouTube and/or stream to continue the success. Add, oddly enough, documenting the attempt to become a GM drives his success even more. If he ultimately doesn't become a GM because he never puts enough time into, well, I for one won't be critical. He has an opportunity to make a lot of money and that might not last more than a few years and it should be his priority.
How is he making 500k to 1M :shock: You're absolutely right that that should be his priority. Becoming a GM doesn't net him 500k to 1M per year.

He's not far off from a GM level (around 2500) but his peak rating was in 2018: https://ratings.fide.com/profile/2039877/chart
Levy's highest ranking ever would put him around 1600th in the World. To get to 2500 it looks like you have to get to around 750th in the world. For an interesting perspective I just quickly looked at the NFL. The NFL roster is aorund 1700 players. Of that the number of starters is around 700 players. Crudely speaking on this rather poor football analogy Levy has to move from the 3rd of 4th string and take the starters job. These things are not impossible but at the end of the day there are only so many spots at the top and Levy has to displace a lot of people who don't want to be displaced to get there.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:31 pm Levy's highest ranking ever would put him around 1600th in the World. To get to 2500 it looks like you have to get to around 750th in the world. For an interesting perspective I just quickly looked at the NFL. The NFL roster is aorund 1700 players. Of that the number of starters is around 700 players. Crudely speaking on this rather poor football analogy Levy has to move from the 3rd of 4th string and take the starters job. These things are not impossible but at the end of the day there are only so many spots at the top and Levy has to displace a lot of people who don't want to be displaced to get there.
I thought the GM norm is obtained by winning some tournaments w/ certain performance criteria (ELO of 2500+ or something like that).

In that sense, I don't know if he necessarily has to displace 700 people on the rating ladder. Bursty performance in a short period of time could in theory get you there. I'm not saying it's easy, but I'm sure some people became GMs this way (especially those GMs who are below 2500 today).
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:37 pm
halfnine wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:31 pm Levy's highest ranking ever would put him around 1600th in the World. To get to 2500 it looks like you have to get to around 750th in the world. For an interesting perspective I just quickly looked at the NFL. The NFL roster is aorund 1700 players. Of that the number of starters is around 700 players. Crudely speaking on this rather poor football analogy Levy has to move from the 3rd of 4th string and take the starters job. These things are not impossible but at the end of the day there are only so many spots at the top and Levy has to displace a lot of people who don't want to be displaced to get there.
I thought the GM norm is obtained by winning some tournaments w/ certain performance criteria (ELO of 2500+ or something like that).

In that sense, I don't know if he necessarily has to displace 700 people on the rating ladder. Bursty performance in a short period of time could in theory get you there. I'm not saying it's easy, but I'm sure some people became GMs this way (especially those GMs who are below 2500 today).
You have to actually get to a 2500 Fide rating AND also get 2 Norms. The Norms do require you to have a tournament performance of 2600 and your opponents have to have some minimum standards (33% GMs, 50% titled, etc.). There have been complaints about a select few countries that bring in weak GMs to assist in this and the GM Norm tournaments hence becoming more of a money making scheme than a real competition. Let me see...yep have a look here.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:01 pm You have to actually get to a 2500 Fide rating AND also get 2 Norms. The Norms do require you to have a tournament performance of 2600 and your opponents have to have some minimum standards (33% GMs, 50% titled, etc.). There have been complaints about a select few countries that bring in weak GMs to assist in this and the GM Norm tournaments hence becoming more of a money making scheme than a real competition. Let me see...yep have a look here.
I see, well then that's not at all easy for Levy; probably not going to get there while YouTubing. The article is paywalled on my end but I'm sure people pull all kinds of tricks to become a GM.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Has anyone tried Chess Online+?

This app requires the use of gold coins to wager and play on each game. There is something that feels a bit off on this site. On Lichess my current 10 minute rating is hovering around 2000.

On CO+ it feels like every opponent is playing a mistake free game and is super fast. I’m pushed to my limit to beat people with 1600 site ratings. The app has a feature called “mistake preventer” which is some add on feature and feels like a total cheat. An AI assist to prevent mistakes in games where you have to spend coins to play and the coins are earned from watching ads or buying them? Or winning then in matches, of course.

Maybe I’m not as good as I think or maybe that site has premium players, but it feels like the competition rarely makes errors.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

investingdad wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:17 am This app requires the use of gold coins to wager and play on each game. [...] but it feels like the competition rarely makes errors.
Hmm, whatever could explain it :-D.

That's like with Agadmator's tournament, people were predicting widespread engine use, and someone apparently used one to beat Magnus (before getting banned immediately). This is just the natural consequence of linking economic incentive to online gameplay.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Just played an interesting checkmate: https://lichess.org/Llf5thEu

I sac'ed a knight for the hell of it to get their king out of position and this happened.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

This GM is the best ultrabullet player imo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Tang

Beating Stockfish playing 1/4 + 0 is just absolutely insane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nSyv0IY6gg

Whether you can call this "chess" is a different question.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

World Rapid / Blitz Championship 2021 Warsaw starting tomorrow. Let's see if anyone can stop Carlsen. Nakamura might take the blitz crown.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Rapid Day 1: https://worldrapidandblitz.fide.com/results-open-rapid/

Good to see Nepo back. I didn't know Nakamura plays like Ivanchuk, staring at something and never looking at the board. He doesn't look focused.
DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings »

My 8 year old grandson shows some aptitude for chess. For example when I was chasing his queen during a game, he was able to find the safe squares quickly.

What is the best way to play chess with him. I have been pointing out when he hangs a piece. And I have taught him some of the basics of opening play.

Do I allow him to beat me?

Do I beat him mercilessly? (When I was a boy my uncle taught me how to be a good card and checker player by never ever letting me win.)

Do I constantly give him feedback about all of his moves?

Or what?

What are some good learning tools for him?

He has a good attention span for one game, maybe 2 at a time.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

DrippingSprings wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:35 pm My 8 year old grandson shows some aptitude for chess. For example when I was chasing his queen during a game, he was able to find the safe squares quickly.

What is the best way to play chess with him. I have been pointing out when he hangs a piece. And I have taught him some of the basics of opening play.

Do I beat him mercilessly? (When I was a boy my uncle taught me how to be a good card and checker player by never ever letting me win.)

Or what?

If you're serious about improving his ability, he needs lessons. These days, this can be done easily and affordably online.
The Sensible Steward
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

The Open Rapid is underwhelming, Carlsen once again leading at 7.5 out of 9. They only have 4 more rounds to go...
Last edited by Marseille07 on Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

DrippingSprings wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:35 pm My 8 year old grandson shows some aptitude for chess. For example when I was chasing his queen during a game, he was able to find the safe squares quickly.

Or what?

Look online for some easy to digest courses. For the price there is value.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Or what?

Chesskid.com

Let it do all the work and you can just enjoy playing against him and letting him show you what he has learned. My kids used it extensively for about a year until they outgrew it which was around the Fide 1300-1400 level.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Magnus eliminated on tiebreak, final in about 10-15 minutes will be Ian Nepomniachtchi against Nodirbek Abdusattorov from Uzbekistan. Abdusattorov is a new name to me, a year younger than Alireza. Easy to cheer for either guy, redemption tour for Ian and the breakout performance for Abdu.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

canadianbacon wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:21 pm Magnus eliminated on tiebreak, final in about 10-15 minutes will be Ian Nepomniachtchi against Nodirbek Abdusattorov from Uzbekistan. Abdusattorov is a new name to me, a year younger than Alireza. Easy to cheer for either guy, redemption tour for Ian and the breakout performance for Abdu.
Nice to see Nepo bouncing back so quickly after the devastating championship.

Nakamura on the other hand... :oops: though he might be eying for the blitz crown moreso than the rapid crown.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Nakamura had a fine tournament, and him fighting Magnus to a draw in the last game cost the latter the tiebreak.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

canadianbacon wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:37 pm Nakamura had a fine tournament, and him fighting Magnus to a draw in the last game cost the latter the tiebreak.
Nakamura came back somewhat. As of yesterday he was set to lose 36 points, ended the tournament -13.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:50 pm
canadianbacon wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:37 pm Nakamura had a fine tournament, and him fighting Magnus to a draw in the last game cost the latter the tiebreak.
Nakamura came back somewhat. As of yesterday he was set to lose 36 points, ended the tournament -13.
He finished a half-point back of the four-way tie for first.

EDIT: And Abdu wins! Wow.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Let's see who wins the blitz tournament. This one features 21 rounds of quick chess.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:50 pm
He's only going to keep getting older. You also can't pre-move like you can online.

He needs to stay relevant enough to keep money coming in from streaming. Of course, like TV shows, eventually, folks get bored and move onto other TV shows. He needs to maximize his streaming revenue now as it won't last forever. He'll be replaced by another new kid on the block just like Levy will as well.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:22 pm He's only going to keep getting older. You also can't pre-move like you can online.

He needs to stay relevant enough to keep money coming in from streaming. Of course, like TV shows, eventually, folks get bored and move onto other TV shows. He needs to maximize his streaming revenue now as it won't last forever. He'll be replaced by another new kid on the block just like Levy will as well.
Yeah it's kind of crazy these streamers make more streaming chess than playing chess. It's akin to making more money broadcasting baseball than playing in the Major League.

Agadmator, the Botez sisters, Levy and Nakamura are all raking in 6~7 figures...I wonder where the money comes from. I understand they generate massive views, but are they really making YouTube money?
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:30 pm
rockstar wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:22 pm He's only going to keep getting older. You also can't pre-move like you can online.

Yeah it's kind of crazy these streamers make more streaming chess than playing chess. It's akin to making more money broadcasting baseball than playing in the Major League.

Agadmator, the Botez sisters, Levy and Nakamura are all raking in 6~7 figures...I wonder where the money comes from. I understand they generate massive views, but are they really making YouTube money?
They also have sponsors that provide them a salary. They're essentially broadcasters. But like TV shows, what's popular today doesn't remain popular forever. They need to get as much as they can out of the system before they're replaced by other streamers in the future. They all got a bump from the pandemic and Queen's Gambit. But that's not going to last. And like sports, they're not going to last that long. NFL players stick around for maybe 3-5 year max. Soccer and baseball last closer to ten.

Carlsen already wants to play the next generation. He sees the writing on the wall. He has maybe 10 more year of chess before his brain starts to fail him like his predecessors. His biggest enemy is age. And the Botez sisters looks are fleeting.

Remember when all of the ghost hunting shows were popular?
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:41 pm They also have sponsors that provide them a salary. They're essentially broadcasters. But like TV shows, what's popular today doesn't remain popular forever. They need to get as much as they can out of the system before they're replaced by other streamers in the future. They all got a bump from the pandemic and Queen's Gambit. But that's not going to last. And like sports, they're not going to last that long. NFL players stick around for maybe 3-5 year max. Soccer and baseball last closer to ten.

Carlsen already wants to play the next generation. He sees the writing on the wall. He has maybe 10 more year of chess before his brain starts to fail him like his predecessors. His biggest enemy is age. And the Botez sisters looks are fleeting.

Remember when all of the ghost hunting shows were popular?
I don't blame them. If they're making 6~7 figures doing this, the correct move is to milk it while they can.

This streamer path isn't easy though. While those at the top look rosy, I'm 100% certain there are lots of failed chess streamers we don't hear about.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

There’s a good interview with Aman Hambleton where he talks about how he and Eric streamed basically for each other for 2-3 years before anyone else cared about their channel. This was pre-Twitch. I agree that the chess streamer community will consolidate but I expect it will survive on some level and the most popular names are in a better position to ride it out than someone new.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Is the Queen's Gambit worth watching? I've heard of it but haven't seen it.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:02 pm Is the Queen's Gambit worth watching? I've heard of it but haven't seen it.
It was good.

It's by the same author that wrote Color of Money and the Hustler.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:08 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:02 pm Is the Queen's Gambit worth watching? I've heard of it but haven't seen it.
It was good.

It's by the same author that wrote Color of Money and the Hustler.
Cool, I'll check it out then.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Feels good to crush the Englund Gambit: https://lichess.org/zLVgKcQC

The trap is to play 5. dxe7 and I lose my queen after Bxf2+. I've learned not to fall for this :D
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I found a footage of the fateful quick draw by Caruana which cost him the rapid tiebreakers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czxVYCkkd70

I don't know why he offered a draw so quickly; he needed to win this game to go ahead in the standing.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Some players are testing positive: https://worldchess.com/news/all/hikaru- ... tz-champi/

I was wondering why they aren't wearing a mask during the games. Some players wear while moving between the boards, only to take it off after taking a seat.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:34 am Some players are testing positive: https://worldchess.com/news/all/hikaru- ... tz-champi/

I was wondering why they aren't wearing a mask during the games. Some players wear while moving between the boards, only to take it off after taking a seat.
COVID is blowing up right now. Big surges happening across the globe. But I can see players wanting to get back over the board.

There are over the board chess games at my local coffee house that I have been holding off on going until this surge ends.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Looks like MVL won the Blitz tournament: https://twitter.com/chesscom/status/1476631466754904066

Tbh both Rapid & Blitz were underwhelming. The time control is so short that the players make mistakes left and right. This player fell off his chair: https://twitter.com/Loffyswe/status/1476653704665255942
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:20 pm Looks like MVL won the Blitz tournament: https://twitter.com/chesscom/status/1476631466754904066

Tbh both Rapid & Blitz were underwhelming. The time control is so short that the players make mistakes left and right. This player fell off his chair: https://twitter.com/Loffyswe/status/1476653704665255942
I love the short time controls. The problem with classical is that there is too much time, and this leads to a lot of boring draws.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:16 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:20 pm Looks like MVL won the Blitz tournament: https://twitter.com/chesscom/status/1476631466754904066

I love the short time controls. The problem with classical is that there is too much time, and this leads to a lot of boring draws.
I agree classical (120+30) is too long. That said, there's a huge gap between that and 3+2 blitz. Something like 30+20 would provide enough time to think, while the games remain reasonably short.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:41 pm
rockstar wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:16 pm

I agree classical (120+30) is too long. That said, there's a huge gap between that and 3+2 blitz. Something like 30+20 would provide enough time to think, while the games remain reasonably short.
I like rapid.

On chess.com, I'll play 10 minute or 15|10.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:50 pm I like rapid.

Rapid is good for us to play in; for something like the World Chess Championship, I think it's a bit too short. Even the grandmasters need time to come up with good moves.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:15 pm
rockstar wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:50 pm I like rapid.

Rapid is good for us to play in; for something like the World Chess Championship, I think it's a bit too short. Even the grandmasters need time to come up with good moves.
Games are more exciting when folks blunder than when they play perfectly accurate games. And these games all provide an increment, so you're not seeing a lot of folks lose on time.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:16 pm Games are more exciting when folks blunder than when they play perfectly accurate games. And these games all provide an increment, so you're not seeing a lot of folks lose on time.
I enjoyed the World Chess Championship more than the Rapid / Blitz Championship, personally speaking. The Rapid thing was crazy, like Caruana not even understanding tiebreaker rules and settled for a 6-move draw when he actually had to push for a win.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:22 pm
rockstar wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:16 pm Games are more exciting when folks blunder than when they play perfectly accurate games. And these games all provide an increment, so you're not seeing a lot of folks lose on time.
I enjoyed the World Chess Championship more than the Rapid / Blitz Championship, personally speaking. The Rapid thing was crazy, like Caruana not even understanding tiebreaker rules and settled for a 6-move draw when he actually had to push for a win.
I find draws really boring. The FIDE rules got some angst on social media. Check out Finegold.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:54 pm
I find draws really boring. The FIDE rules got some angst on social media. Check out Finegold.
Well, the classical TC is too long and we both agree on that. I was talking about 30+20, which is much much shorter.

Draws are part of the game though, they happen in rapid too, maybe not so much in blitz because people run into time trouble.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:58 pm
Well, the classical TC is too long and we both agree on that. I was talking about 30+20, which is much much shorter.

Draws are part of the game though, they happen in rapid too, maybe not so much in blitz because people run into time trouble.
I think, 15-20 minutes is more than enough. Games get really boring when players never make mistakes.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:58 pm

I watched quite a few of the WC matches in real time with the Chess.com coverage. I found Caruana's analysis particularly insightful. He could easily spend 5 minutes rattling off various lines and their strengths and weaknesses. With that in mind I'd be happy to watch longer time control games but with possibly a 5 minute cap per move. Exceeding time allotment could involve some sort of time penalties versus forfeit. I also wonder if changing the scoring to 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw might also lead to players less likely to play for a draw. This should certainly have a positive effect in multiplayer tournaments.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:50 am I watched quite a few of the WC matches in real time with the Chess.com coverage. I found Caruana's analysis particularly insightful. He could easily spend 5 minutes rattling off various lines and their strengths and weaknesses. With that in mind I'd be happy to watch longer time control games but with possibly a 5 minute cap per move. Exceeding time allotment could involve some sort of time penalties versus forfeit. I also wonder if changing the scoring to 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw might also lead to players less likely to play for a draw. This should certainly have a positive effect in multiplayer tournaments.
Oh totally, Caruana is a world class player himself. I remember Giri spotting Nepo's bishop getting trapped very quickly as well. It was funny because Polgar didn't see it as quickly.

Giving 3 points for a win is a good idea. I know in soccer, they used to award 2-1-0 but the standard has been 3-1-0 for quite some time, and I believe more teams go for a win than a draw as a result.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Off to a good start of 2022 (I was black): https://lichess.org/hfH5RFdB
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I played a 10 minute game last night with a 1950 rated lichess player. I made a mistake mid game and he started talking a lot of trash. A lot of trash.

I’m not 2000 rated for nothing I guess and stayed focused while in a tough spot. He made a late error and I pounced. I had the game in hand and dished the trash back HARD. One of the most satisfying wins in a while.