Let's play chess

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Marseille07

Re: Let's play chess

Post by Marseille07 »

Nakamura all smiles after this splendid win over Caruana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U25ur3d_oXQ
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Caruana couldn't beat Nepomniachtchi; Caruana isn't out of it but it's going to be Nepomniachtchi unless he collapses hard.

I wonder if Carlsen refuses to play Nepomniachtchi though. That'd make the World Chess Championship very interesting, as the 2nd place finisher would have a shot at becoming the World Champion.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

BamaGuy22 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:42 pm
Northern Flicker wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:13 pm Traditionally, amateur players in the US have tended to over-emphasize opening study and under-emphasize endgame study. I don’t know if that still is true today.
Still true, and probably will always be true because studying openings is way more interesting than end games to most people. I'd rather watch paint dry than practice king and pawn endgames or rook and pawn or whatever. I know that means I'll never be a strong player, and I'm cool with that.
I don’t want to speak for others, but I think some people may find endgame study boring because of how it is approached. The study of some essential endgames like when K+P vs K is a win or draw, when R+P vs R is a win or draw, and when K+P endings with more pawns are a win or draw should be the starting point.

Endgame understanding even can influence the study of openings in no small way. For instance, in the exchange variation of the queen’s gambit declined, one major strategy and variation for white is the minority attack with pawns on the Q-side. The ultimate goal of the strategy is to reach a winnable endgame. Even variations of the opening where white may threaten a K-side attack may just be a decoy to try to get the minority attack under more favorable terms after black has configured some pieces to defend the K-side.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:53 pm ...I wonder if Carlsen refuses to play Nepomniachtchi though...
I think Carlsen will walk away.

It appears that all other things being equal the way to get an edge in the WC matches is to hire a well funded team and put a chunk of change into supercomputer time to find specific novelties one can play against a specific opponent. And then dedicate quite a few months of your life to this approach. I don't think this sits well with Carlsen from an ethical standpoint with the advantage leaning towards the one with the better team and funding (even though it would likely be him). And, I don't think it sits well with Carlsen from a philosophical chess improvement standpoint. It's simply a lot of work for a short term result with little long term validation towards actually being a better chess player. He's rallied against the existing setup for years even so much as skipping the Candidates when he was the number 1 player in the world and could have, potentially, been the youngest world champion ever. And, I simply don't believe Nepo provides enough motivation to overcome all of this.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:53 pm Caruana couldn't beat Nepomniachtchi; Caruana isn't out of it but it's going to be Nepomniachtchi unless he collapses hard.

I wonder if Carlsen refuses to play Nepomniachtchi though. That'd make the World Chess Championship very interesting, as the 2nd place finisher would have a shot at becoming the World Champion.
I agree. At this point Nepo is going for draws. You can see him already trying three fold repetitions in a few games to end them quickly. This worked against Hikaru. But another player I can’t remember pushed forward and ended up losing.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:44 am I agree. At this point Nepo is going for draws. You can see him already trying three fold repetitions in a few games to end them quickly. This worked against Hikaru. But another player I can’t remember pushed forward and ended up losing.
Richard Rapport. He had white so went for a win rather than settling for a draw.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

halfnine wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:47 am
Marseille07 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:53 pm ...I wonder if Carlsen refuses to play Nepomniachtchi though...

It appears that all other things being equal the way to get an edge in the WC matches is to hire a well funded team and put a chunk of change into supercomputer time to find specific novelties one can play against a specific opponent. And then dedicate quite a few months of your life to this approach. I don't think this sits well with Carlsen from an ethical standpoint with the advantage leaning towards the one with the better team and funding (even though it would likely be him). And, I don't think it sits well with Carlsen from a philosophical chess improvement standpoint. It's simply a lot of work for a short term result with little long term validation towards actually being a better chess player. He's rallied against the existing setup for years even so much as skipping the Candidates when he was the number 1 player in the world and could have, potentially, been the youngest world champion ever. And, I simply don't believe Nepo provides enough motivation to overcome all of this.
He’s getting old and knows his days are numbered. I think he wants to play emerging new talent before his brain slows down. It happens to them all.

If you use chessbase, you can use cloud based stock fish. But you can just as easily do it on your own computer these days.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:47 am
rockstar wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:44 am I agree. At this point Nepo is going for draws. You can see him already trying three fold repetitions in a few games to end them quickly. This worked against Hikaru. But another player I can’t remember pushed forward and ended up losing.
Richard Rapport. He had white so went for a win rather than settling for a draw.
He’s aggressively trying to win every game.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:54 am
It's a tough situation to be in, it's like pulling the goalie for an extra attacker in hockey when you're down by one goal.

Although in this particular Candidates tournament, aiming for 2nd place is actually reasonable in case Carlsen refuses to play the challenger.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:14 am
rockstar wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:54 am
It's a tough situation to be in, it's like pulling the goalie for an extra attacker in hockey when you're down by one goal.

Although in this particular Candidates tournament, aiming for 2nd place is actually reasonable in case Carlsen refuses to play the challenger.
Caruana seems likely to place second. But he really blew it playing sloppy against Hikaru.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:38 am Caruana seems likely to place second. But he really blew it playing sloppy against Hikaru.
Nakamura prepared well for the game; the line surprised Caruana and he got into time trouble early on. Nakamura almost blew away the +5 lead but Caruana didn't have enough time on the clock to play accurately.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:29 pm
rockstar wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:38 am Caruana seems likely to place second. But he really blew it playing sloppy against Hikaru.
Nakamura prepared well for the game; the line surprised Caruana and he got into time trouble early on. Nakamura almost blew away the +5 lead but Caruana didn't have enough time on the clock to play accurately.
I've heard Hikaru comment before that Caruana plays great chess only to eventually lose on time trouble. So it probably didn't come of as a surprise at least not to Hikaru.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:33 am I've heard Hikaru comment before that Caruana plays great chess only to eventually lose on time trouble. So it probably didn't come of as a surprise at least not to Hikaru.
I wonder why Caruana can't play more quickly. I didn't watch the whole game vs Nakamura but I believe he spent like 45 minutes on a single middlegame move. Controlling the clock is very much part of the game.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Another three fold rep by Nepo. He looks like he is attacking hard the weak and drawing the stronger players. Now, he is avoiding losing as long as he maintains his lead. Pretty smart move.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:16 am
halfnine wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:33 am I've heard Hikaru comment before that Caruana plays great chess only to eventually lose on time trouble. So it probably didn't come of as a surprise at least not to Hikaru.
I wonder why Caruana can't play more quickly. I didn't watch the whole game vs Nakamura but I believe he spent like 45 minutes on a single middlegame move. Controlling the clock is very much part of the game.
Hikaru plays hours of blitz every day. He has to slow himself down. Caruana comes across far less confident.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:32 am Another three fold rep by Nepo. He looks like he is attacking hard the weak and drawing the stronger players. Now, he is avoiding losing as long as he maintains his lead. Pretty smart move.
Who's the weak though? The only weak player I see is Duda. Radjabov, Ding, Firouzja and Rapport aren't weak. This tournament is extremely difficult to win.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:43 am
rockstar wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:32 am Another three fold rep by Nepo. He looks like he is attacking hard the weak and drawing the stronger players. Now, he is avoiding losing as long as he maintains his lead. Pretty smart move.
Who's the weak though? The only weak player I see is Duda. Radjabov, Ding, Firouzja and Rapport aren't weak. This tournament is extremely difficult to win.
Those new to the candidates. Hikaru made some good points about how the time controls for this tournament is impacting play.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:49 am Those new to the candidates. Hikaru made some good points about how the time controls for this tournament is impacting play.
The candidates time control is longer than the classical. If they are still running into time trouble, I'm not sure who to blame. Besides, a candidates veteran Caruana is one of them...
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:53 am
rockstar wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:49 am Those new to the candidates. Hikaru made some good points about how the time controls for this tournament is impacting play.
The candidates time control is longer than the classical. If they are still running into time trouble, I'm not sure who to blame. Besides, a candidates veteran Caruana is one of them...
He’s tilted after Hikaru. Duda is ruining his day.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:23 am
Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:53 am
He’s tilted after Hikaru. Duda is ruining his day.
Yeah, wth...if Duda wins this one then there really aren't any pushovers in this tournament.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:53 am He’s getting old and knows his days are numbered. I think he wants to play emerging new talent before his brain slows down. It happens to them all.

If you use chessbase, you can use cloud based stock fish. But you can just as easily do it on your own computer these days.
It'd be funny if Nepomniachtchi wins the Candidates, Carlsen walks & loses the title, then Nakamura beats Nepomniachtchi and becomes the World Champion.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Can't wait for Nakamura's recap after the famous victory over Firouzja.

Duda 1-0 Caruana is a huge blow; meanwhile Ding is storming back after beating Rapport.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:36 pm Can't wait for Nakamura's recap after the famous victory over Firouzja.

Duda 1-0 Caruana is a huge blow; meanwhile Ding is storming back after beating Rapport.
Caruana is now very obviously tilted. Losing two games in a row.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:37 pm Caruana is now very obviously tilted. Losing two games in a row.
With Nepomniachtchi likely winning the tournament, I think Carlsen has to walk & lose the title as he ruled out playing Nepomniachtchi himself.

Which means Caruana, Nakamura and Ding (maybe Radjabov too) now have a shot at the 2nd place and fight for the World Championship.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:50 pm
rockstar wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:37 pm Caruana is now very obviously tilted. Losing two games in a row.
With Nepomniachtchi likely winning the tournament, I think Carlsen has to walk & lose the title as he ruled out playing Nepomniachtchi himself.

Which means Caruana, Nakamura and Ding (maybe Radjabov too) now have a shot at the 2nd place and fight for the World Championship.
I doubt Carlsen will walk. He obviously has some type of social disorder going on. I’m sure his team will have him compete.

I don’t think Hikaru actually wants to win this. But it’s good for his streaming numbers.

I expect Ding to end in the middle of the pack with Duda.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:25 pm I doubt Carlsen will walk. He obviously has some type of social disorder going on. I’m sure his team will have him compete.

I don’t think Hikaru actually wants to win this. But it’s good for his streaming numbers.

I expect Ding to end in the middle of the pack with Duda.
Nakamura is the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EIqT76KEF0. He called them and made them happen.

Alireza playing really poorly though. 10 ... gxf6 and doubled pawns was awful and he apparently spent 25 minutes to come up with this poor move.
https://lichess.org/broadcast/fide-cand ... 0/FWJYzJJJ

Another L for the Sicilian defense.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

It is 4 AM in Madrid and Alireza is playing a long bullet match online with Daniel Naroditsky. Maybe he is hoping Ian will make a quick draw tomorrow.

(He’s losing the match too)
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

canadianbacon wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:26 pm It is 4 AM in Madrid and Alireza is playing a long bullet match online with Daniel Naroditsky. Maybe he is hoping Ian will make a quick draw tomorrow.

Can anyone catch up to Nepo if he draws his remaining games? Or this pretty much already over?
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:10 pm
canadianbacon wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:26 pm It is 4 AM in Madrid and Alireza is playing a long bullet match online with Daniel Naroditsky. Maybe he is hoping Ian will make a quick draw tomorrow.

Can anyone catch up to Nepo if he draws his remaining games? Or this pretty much already over?
If Nepomniachtchi draws the remaining games, he scores 9 out of 14. 3 players at 5.5 can still catch up if they win the next 4 games or something.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:18 pm
rockstar wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:10 pm

If Nepomniachtchi draws the remaining games, he scores 9 out of 14. 3 players at 5.5 can still catch up if they win the next 4 games or something.
I think it is essentially over barring some sort of hail mary. Nepo still has a game to play with Naka which could make things more interesting if Naka wins his next match first. Naka, however, will be black aginst Nepo which makes it all the less likely. That said, Nepo also has a tendency to fade in these multi-week tournaments. However, once Nepo had an early lead he took some early draws and really hasn't had to play all that much chess which has been to his favour. So I think him fading is less likely. Certainly Nepo has had some luck in the first few games in the sense that he played some really strong players who weren't playing very well. In fairness, though, it could have gone the opposite way for him as well as on paper he probably had the hardest first few matches. Of course, Rapport opting to try for a win agains Nepo instead of the draw certainly did no favours for the other Candidates. All this has led the other Candidates to take some risks they likely normally wouldn't have taken to play catch up which hasn't really worked out to well allowing Nepo to play for additional draws with limited risk. All and all, a little bit of luck and a lot of skill have both aligned well together and this event has worked out perfectly for Nepo.
gips

Post by gips »

imo, nepo has it locked up. all the candidates know 2nd place may provide a chance at the championship and the ensuing play over the next four games should be fascinating. I hope nak doesnt overreach against nepo with black.

best,
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I can't believe Alireza played 300 bullet chess games after the loss vs Nakamura. Now losing vs Nepomniachtchi.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:10 am I can't believe Alireza played 300 bullet chess games after the loss vs Nakamura. Now losing vs Nepomniachtchi.
It's over.

Not looking forward to another Nepo v Carlson tournament.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:31 am It's over.

I think Carlsen will walk. The comment clearly indicated that Carlsen doesn't think Nepomniachtchi is a worthy opponent.

The irony of course, is that Carlsen named a weaker opponent than Nepomniachtchi.
Last edited by Marseille07 on Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

rockstar wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:31 am
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:10 am I can't believe Alireza played 300 bullet chess games after the loss vs Nakamura. Now losing vs Nepomniachtchi.
It's over.

Yeah, the rest of the field had almost no chance of catching Ian anyway, but it's pretty unprofessional that Firouzja conducted himself like this.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

canadianbacon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 pm Yeah, the rest of the field had almost no chance of catching Ian anyway, but it's pretty unprofessional that Firouzja conducted himself like this.
Naroditsky carries the blame too, he's an official commentator of the Candidates. He is fully aware what he got Alireza into.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:29 pm
canadianbacon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 pm Yeah, the rest of the field had almost no chance of catching Ian anyway, but it's pretty unprofessional that Firouzja conducted himself like this.
Naroditsky carries the blame too, he's an official commentator of the Candidates. He is fully aware what he got Alireza into.
No. Alireza played for five hours... the match with Danya was three of those. Clearly he was intending to do this regardless of who was available to play.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

canadianbacon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:39 pm No. Alireza played for five hours... the match with Danya was three of those. Clearly he was intending to do this regardless of who was available to play.
3 hours out of 5 seem a lot to me. If I were Naroditsky I would not play for 3 hours even if Alireza insisted.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Ding in 2nd place after beating Caruana as black. Caruana not playing well lately, dropping to 4th.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:57 pm Ding in 2nd place after beating Caruana as black. Caruana not playing well lately, dropping to 4th.
Caruana is tilted on a losing streak. And Nepo's opponent threw in the towel before the game even began today. No idea why he even bothered to play. He could have resigned at the beginning.

He's probably like I'm in last place and have no chance, so let the pain end soon so I can enjoy Spain.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:37 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:57 pm Ding in 2nd place after beating Caruana as black. Caruana not playing well lately, dropping to 4th.
Caruana is tilted on a losing streak. And Nepo's opponent threw in the towel before the game even began today. No idea why he even bothered to play. He could have resigned at the beginning.

He's probably like I'm in last place and have no chance, so let the pain end soon so I can enjoy Spain.
I think they are forced to play till the end, unlike the World Chess Championship which ended very early.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:00 pm
rockstar wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:37 pm

I think they are forced to play till the end, unlike the World Chess Championship which ended very early.
And if you're Nepo, you go for three fold repetition to end the game sooner than later. You don't drag it on and try for a win and waste your day. You could tell Nepo wanted to be done, but the win was basically thrown at him. So he took it. I expect him to draw the remaining games if given the opportunity. His games should be the ones that wrap up the fastest for the rest of the tournament.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:37 pm And if you're Nepo, you go for three fold repetition to end the game sooner than later. You don't drag it on and try for a win and waste your day. You could tell Nepo wanted to be done, but the win was basically thrown at him. So he took it. I expect him to draw the remaining games if given the opportunity. His games should be the ones that wrap up the fastest for the rest of the tournament.
Nakamura will fight to win, just like Rapport. Carlsen won't play Nepomniachtchi, so finishing 2nd is extremely important here and Nakamura still has a decent shot.

I love this clip, cracks me up every time I watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EIqT76KEF0
gips

Post by gips »

it just occurred to me that if nak finishes 2nd, carlsen will probably play nepo just to torture nak. if someone else places 2nd, he may step down.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

rockstar wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:53 am
halfnine wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:47 am

He’s getting old and knows his days are numbered. I think he wants to play emerging new talent before his brain slows down. It happens to them all.

Nepo is 139 days older than Carlsen.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

It's disappointing all the way around. My primary school children know better. I've had this discussion with them and they know just because they are out of contention their results in this type of tournament format impact everyone else and they don't get to go throwing their toys out of the pram just because they are having a bad tournament.
gips

Post by gips »

halfnine wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:46 am
It's disappointing all the way around. My primary school children know better. I've had this discussion with them and they know just because they are out of contention their results in this type of tournament format impact everyone else and they don't get to go throwing their toys out of the pram just because they are having a bad tournament.
in hs i was playing a swiss and beat a player rated 500 points higher. i tied for first in our section with fedorowicz but lost the first place trophy by 1/2 a tie break point. was not happy with my opponent a the time. now, over the fullness time, pretty meaningless…

edit: I should have said the player I beat dropped out of tournament
Last edited by gips on Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

gips wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:58 am
in hs i was playing a swiss and beat a player rated 500 points higher. i tied for first in our section with fedorowicz but lost the first place trophy by 1/2 a tie break point. was not happy with my opponent a the time. now, over the fullness time, pretty meaningless…
Both of my children are playing at (Fide Rating = Age + 700 ). In the scheme of things that puts them on track to becoming titled players. Of course, I have told them that in the long term having a few letters in front of their name (in the same words you used above) is actually "pretty meaningless". But, of course, what isn't meaningless is what they learn about life and themselves along the journey (if it is the journey they ultimately take). So, even though the result of that tournament of your youth is/was meaningless hopefully it was a learning opportunity for both you and your opponent.
gips

Post by gips »

halfnine wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:04 am
gips wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:58 am
Both of my children are playing at (Fide Rating = Age + 700 ). In the scheme of things that puts them on track to becoming titled players. Of course, I have told them that in the long term having a few letters in front of their name (in the same words you used above) is actually "pretty meaningless". But, of course, what isn't meaningless is what they learn about life and themselves along the journey (if it is the journey they ultimately take). So, even though the result of that tournament of your youth is/was meaningless hopefully it was a learning opportunity for both you and your opponent.
well said, and the point of my post wasn't to disagree with your approach. I think it's fantastic you're teaching them sportsmanship, wasn't much of that when I was coming up. also, I edited my post above, left out the point of the post, which was to say my opponent dropped out of the tournament costing me the trophy.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Silly Q but what's Fide Rating = Age + 700? For a 12 yo, it's like 12 * 100 + 700 = 1900? Am I understanding correctly or completely off?