What's your favorite reasonably priced gin?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Invest4lt

Re: What's your favorite reasonably priced gin?

Post by Invest4lt »

othermike27 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:52 am
Invest4lt wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:11 am So many great options (in order)
Botanist, St George, Monkey, Hendricks, Roku
Huh...I don't see the gin button on my Roku. Maybe it's an older model. Dang!
Right? I really find the Japanese botanicals intriguing. Plus it’s a great value. And a beautiful bottle for display :happy
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Corsair
Botantist
Hendricks - for your more traditional.

I had a bottle of the Junipero and liked it good.

JT
MJS

Post by MJS »

Costco gin for summer G&T.
Empress 1908 for Aviations & party G&Ts: it has an interesting texture.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

My favorite is Bluecoat Gin - good balance, easy to sip and also mixes well. Plus the blue bottle looks really cool on my shelf :sharebeer
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Invest4lt wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:38 am
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:57 am
Invest4lt wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:11 am So many great options (in order)
Botanist, St George, Monkey, Hendricks, Roku
Which of the three St George gins are you referencing?
My favorite St George is the Botanivore. Great combination of 19 botanicals. Next would be their Terrior. Might be a bit woodsy depending on your preferences. Not a fan of the Rye gin.
I really like the Terroir and like the Botanivore, too, just not quite as much.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Bombay Sapphire is my gin of choice. I bought Tanqueray for a few years, but I changed to Bombay and I've stuck to it for many years.

So far as Costco spirits, I have not tried all their offerings, but I have tried some, and the ones I have tried are fine by me.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
jef

Post by jef »

Seagram's twisted lime, on the rocks. Cheap and good
LongTermLenny

Post by LongTermLenny »

Dingle Gin. Incredible.
HeartinAK

Post by HeartinAK »

I was never a gin fan until recently. We have a local distillery, Amalga, that makes Juneauper Gin. I find the juniper essence in this one to be refreshing and not overpowering. Made up some rhubarb simple syrup and added to this gin makes an amazing collins drink!
Jules
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Big fan of Beefeater. Makes a good white lady and a good Tom Collins. Tanqueray seems to be better for martini, in my opinion. I don't usually have tonic on hand, but I do typically have triple sec, simple, dry vermouth, etc.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I've tried dozens of them. Gin was my favorite. G&Ts and martinis.

Beefeater and Bombay Sapphire were very much to my liking.

But my everyday, go-to was.......... Gilbey's!

But somewhere along the line, I developed an allergic reaction to gin. It started to trigger asthma attacks.

I still try a little every now and then, but unfortunately, always have the same result.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

My go to gin is Beefeater and has been for around 4 decades. Bombay is always nice too. Not a fan of Tanqueray but it will do in a pinch. Now Hendricks I like a lot. Unfortunately, it does not like me. Gives me bad headaches for some reason. I'd like to try Plymouth gin, seeing it was Travis McGee's drink of choice, but I've never seen it at my local stores.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Miles, a brand marketed by Sazerac. Plymouth Original and Navy Strength are available at several vendors online. The juniper in Plymouth is very noticeable, and makes it real tasty. Another Travis McGee fan here.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

You haven't really had a good martini until you've had one made with Plymouth Gin. Shaken not stirred in deference to Ian Fleming. Wave the vermouth bottle over the glass. :beer :D
Illegitimi non carborundum.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

Barr Hill Gin is made with honey (and the cork is sealed with beeswax). About $35 for 750 ml.

Regarding tonic water, I recommend Fever Tree LIGHT tonic water. Regular Fever Tree tonic water is sweetened with sugar, costs about 4 times the price of the national brands, and IMO is not worth the premium.

On the other hand, Fever Tree LIGHT tonic water is the same recipe with less than half the sugar. Makes for a very dry G & T and IMO is well worth the premium.

--vtMaps
"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" --Voltaire, as translated by Norman Lewis Torrey
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

I think Hendricks is a bit pricey if you enjoy GTs daily. It is really good though. Both their normal and their Midsummer blend. I'll buy when on sale.

I like plain old Beefeater over the Bombay Sapphire, but either will do.

My new inexpensive favorite for G&Ts are Tangueray Rangpur. Of course, it helps that the NH liquor store is selling it at $29 for a handle.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

vtMaps wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:35 pm
Regarding tonic water, I recommend Fever Tree LIGHT tonic water. Regular Fever Tree tonic water is sweetened with sugar, costs about 4 times the price of the national brands, and IMO is not worth the premium.

On the other hand, Fever Tree LIGHT tonic water is the same recipe with less than half the sugar. Makes for a very dry G & T and IMO is well worth the premium.

--vtMaps
I'll have to check that out. I drank a lot of Fever Tree when I lived in LA as I couldn't find Schweppes or Polar in the little 7.5 ounce cans. Now I can get either for 2.99 a six pack, so I've been happy. Fever Tree is right sized and tasty, so I'll be on the look out.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Pete12 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm Tanqueray for a gin & tonic. Beefeater for a martini. Both great tasting and reasonably priced. After the first drink it doesn’t matter anyway :P
+100

Tanqueray is great for G&T but doesn't suit me for a martini. I've tried the Bombay Sapphire but just doesn't fit my sipping taste. Best for me is Beefeaters for sipping on the rocks or martini....with a few drips of olive juice...and a couple of those basketball sized olives! :sharebeer

Best olives.......Mario....but really hard to find in our area. Next best.....Lindsey.....but still prefer Mario......
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

I just found a new one—to me—today: Boulder Gin.
https://boulder-spirits.com/products-ne ... -style-gin
I quite like it.
Drank 20 ml straight this evening.
In the 30ml shot glass
https://www.krasevka.si/collections/dar ... -brinjavec
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
BigoteGato

Post by BigoteGato »

Plymouth and Fever Tree. Hendricks for a change but no cucumber. Always extra lime.
BT
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

Beefeater amd Bombay (not the Sapphire) for a traditional London dry gin.

When I want something different then Hendricks or Bombay Sapphire East (love the black peppercorns in this one).
Last edited by jrbdmb on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
daheld

Post by daheld »

Citadelle is phenomenal.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

apropos: https://www.newyorker.com/cartoons/dail ... casablanca?
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine after 10 P.M."
--vtMaps
"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" --Voltaire, as translated by Norman Lewis Torrey
DBKMN32

Post by DBKMN32 »

I love seeing this thread. There are great recommendations on here.

I work in the spirits industry, specifically for a family that distills genever, gin, and vodka.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions (technical or simple) regarding the gin or vodka category.

Happy sipping everyone!
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

Hendrick's is my favorite by far.
dewey

Post by dewey »

As a 'reasonably' priced gin, Gordon's is the the best selling gin in England. Tanqueray and Gordon's were joined as a company a long time ago and are owned by the same parent company today. I enjoy Gordon's but not Tanqueray as much (too much botanical for me). My other standards are Beefeaters and Bombay Sapphire. A chunk of years ago Bon Appetit (or F&W--can't be sure) had a spread on the bar tenders and MPLS restaurant Bachelor Farmer (quite nice place). The article profiled the mixologists because they were artisans who were schooled and very skilled craftsmen who made many of their drink ingredients from scratch, some from methods and recipes a century or more old. In the article they shared four drink recipes they make at the restaurant. Two of them were gin drinks. In both of those, next to the amount of gin to use, in parenthesis it said (preferably Gordon's).
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

whodidntante wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:34 pm
DaftInvestor wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:58 am Tanqueray - I like the look of the bottle :happy and I can't distinguish much of a difference in gins. I toss it in some club soda so I am probably not a real gin drinker.
In spite of the accolades of Snoop Dog, I find it a bit juniper overbearing. It's kind of like the IPA beer trend that, thankfully, seems to be subsiding.

Hendrick's, Fever Tree tonic, and a cucumber slice is about as good as it gets for budget gin.
I find fever tree to be the key to a good gin & tonic.
gasman

Post by gasman »

Oxley
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

Bloom Gin is quite nice.

My favorite cocktail:
In a high ball glass, with 3-4 ice cubes:
1 part Bloom Gin
1 part St. Germain Eldeflower Liquor
2-5 drops of Rose Syrup (Use one that is red in color, not colorless)
Top with club soda

Yum!
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

fishandgolf wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:48 pm
Pete12 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm Tanqueray for a gin & tonic. Beefeater for a martini. Both great tasting and reasonably priced. After the first drink it doesn’t matter anyway :P
+100

Tanqueray is great for G&T but doesn't suit me for a martini. I've tried the Bombay Sapphire but just doesn't fit my sipping taste. Best for me is Beefeaters for sipping on the rocks or martini....with a few drips of olive juice...and a couple of those basketball sized olives! :sharebeer

Best olives.......Mario....but really hard to find in our area. Next best.....Lindsey.....but still prefer Mario......
Sounds great, and a nice martini will go well with whatever you’re cooking on your new pellet smoker! :beer
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

If it isn't Monkey 47, I don't drink Gin.

Has to be Fever Tree Tonic also.
dardeninvestor

Post by dardeninvestor »

In the pandemic, we have been experimenting with cocktails at home. I have traditionally used Bombay Sapphire or Hendrick's (pre-Pandemic), but have reverted back to simpler versions of now that I can control all the variables...

Tanqueray in a gin & tonic (with Fever Tree)
Previously a vodka martini person but have switched to gin martini with Tanqueray/Dolin
Tanqueray/Carpano Antica in a Negroni
Barr Hill Reserve Tom Cat/Carpano Antica in a "Martinez"
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Attributed to Dorothy Parker
I like a martini, two at the most,
Three I’m under the table, four I’m under the host!
Tanqueray for G&T
Bombay Sapphire for Martini
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

dardeninvestor wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:51 pmIn the pandemic, we have been experimenting with cocktails at home. I have traditionally used Bombay Sapphire or Hendrick's (pre-Pandemic), but have reverted back to simpler versions of now that I can control all the variables...

Tanqueray in a gin & tonic (with Fever Tree)
Previously a vodka martini person but have switched to gin martini with Tanqueray/Dolin
Tanqueray/Carpano Antica in a Negroni
Barr Hill Reserve Tom Cat/Carpano Antica in a "Martinez"
I'd been on a cocktail kick for a couple years, but we started making them more of a regular thing this past year -- imagine that. In the gin-based category, my wife is now a fan of Aviations and Last Words. :)

I love those, too, along with Martinis (4:1 ratio), Negronis, and what I figure to be in the spirit of Fleming's Vesper: 90+ proof dry gin, 100-proof vodka (usually but open to other suggestions), and Cocchi Americano to substitute for the long-gone Kina Lillet. With 80-proof liquors like current Gordon's gin and most vodkas it'll get too watered down when you shake it up. ;)

Overall, as long as a gin is strong and flavorful, I'll probably like it. I tend to keep around a bottle of ~94 proof London Dry Gin for regular cocktails, 1.75L jugs of Beefeater or Tanqueray from Costco work nicely. But Hendrick's limited releases Orbium and Midsummer Solstice are especially lovely!
"Old value investors never die, they just get their fix from rebalancing." -- vineviz
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

https://boulder-spirits.com/products-ne ... -style-gin
Excellent light citrus notes.
I have only had it straight up.

“ Boulder Gin
The highest awarded Gin from Colorado, including a Gold medal at the 2017 World Gin Awards for Best American Contemporary Gin, our Gin has been at the forefront of the gin revival for over a decade. Created from a combination of 11 organic botanicals including Chamomile, Hibiscus, Star Anise, Angelica Root, Orris Root and Sencha Green Tea, we’ve aimed for balance. We hope you enjoy the roots of the company.”
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
btraven

Post by btraven »

mancich

Post by mancich »

Nothing like a Bombay Sapphire G&T out on the deck in the summer time. Or two or three :D
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Highway 9 made in NC.
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

DW bought me a gin making kit for Christmas which came with dried juniper berries and other assorted botanicals, bottles, a funnel and a strainer. You mix up a concoction of botanicals, add moonshine or vodka, then let it sit for a couple of days before straining. Plan on having some fun this weekend experimenting...!
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Tanqueray 10

If you can put your hands on a bottle of Njord it is certainly worth the price (at least the few varieties I was lucky enough to taste)
West of Chicago

Post by West of Chicago »

Pete12 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:50 pm DW bought me a gin making kit for Christmas which came with dried juniper berries and other assorted botanicals, bottles, a funnel and a strainer. You mix up a concoction of botanicals, add moonshine or vodka, then let it sit for a couple of days before straining. Plan on having some fun this weekend experimenting...!
Sounds like fun!

Years ago, I worked with a Russian guy who grew up in Leningrad during the Soviet era. He told me how he used to infuse the cheap government vodka with crushed walnut shells to make ersatz brandy.
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

MishkaWorries wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:52 pm Boodles is my favorite.
+1 on Boodles. For me, it's the ginest gin!
c_is_for_cow

Post by c_is_for_cow »

Botanist
flyninjasquirrel

Post by flyninjasquirrel »

mmcmonster wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:32 pm Bloom Gin is quite nice.

My favorite cocktail:
In a high ball glass, with 3-4 ice cubes:
1 part Bloom Gin
1 part St. Germain Eldeflower Liquor
2-5 drops of Rose Syrup (Use one that is red in color, not colorless)
Top with club soda

Yum!
Happy to see St. Germain get a mention on here, one of my favorites to combo with gin. Another one I like to mix with gin is Domaine de Canton. That stuff is the nectar of the gods.
wordsmith11

Post by wordsmith11 »

Great thread and recommendations here. One I have yet to see mention of that is a must if you're a connoisseur is Farmer's Organic. Won't find it everywhere but if you can it's a reasonably priced boutique gin with what I would describe as a classic botanical profile. Very crisp and clean, particularly paired with Q tonic. Also, thanks for the Fever Tree LIGHT recommendation...need to try that as I find Fever Tree, while miles better than high fructose corn syrup options, a little too cloying relative to Q.
If you pay for a cheap tattoo, you're gonna get a cheap tattoo.
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

Yes, what a great thread! Had to read pretty far down before found my favorite mentioned. Thank you dewey!

Gordon's is my favorite for a "sundowner" in summer here in Florida. Love it as G & T, using Schweppes tonic, and generous squeeze of lime. Occasionally, a martini, with just a touch of Martini & Rossi vermouth. Not crazy about the plastic bottle now days; but seems to taste the same.

Takes me back in time. I lived in Asia for many years. Colonial era was over, but the influence was still strong. Colleague and I were in New Delhi once; and after a particularly trying day, were back at the hotel, in to the bar and had gin & tonic. Was Gordon's & Schweppes. We had several. I can still taste it today, and the memories flood back whenever I enjoy one.
tzydzy

Post by tzydzy »

Presently like Tanqueray 10 and Bombay Sapphire as the upper end for up martini's and occasional mixing with St. Germaine Elderflower Liquer and Domaine DeCanto.

Tanqueray Rangpur, Sevilla and Malaca (last 2 only found in Canada) and special flavoured varieties.

Tanqueray, Bombay and Beefeater as mid levels.

New Amsterdam (both varieties) being tested as a low cost step up from Burnett's which is great for mixing with 7 up.

Sampling Citadelle, Boodles, Plymouth (not "high" enough), Hendricks and regionals from time to time to see if the higher cost is worth it vs. standards or for "special" up martinis.
retire57

Post by retire57 »

We've been experimenting with many of the gins mentioned in this thread, so thanks for the suggestions. I enjoy a pre-dinner martini while DH is a G&T fan. It's been interesting to compare which gins make the best of each. Thus far, we've tried Plymouth, Bombay, Bombay Sapphire, Bombay Sapphire East, and Hendricks.

Surprisingly, we agree that our favorite for both cocktails is plain old Bombay. But ... more research is needed!
Taz

Post by Taz »

We found a local distillery (Manifest) that makes a barrel-aged gin. The profile would overwhelm a delicate gin cocktail but it would be an interesting base for martinis or some of the "classic" cocktails which have become popular.
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

FreeAtLast wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:30 pm You haven't really had a good martini until you've had one made with Plymouth Gin. Shaken not stirred in deference to Ian Fleming. Wave the vermouth bottle over the glass. :beer :D
I hear in the books he actually requests a stirred Martini, but I haven't fact-checked that.