Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mkc

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by mkc »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:59 pm I wasn’t going to mention this, since it’s too tragic, but ok:

Walmart often is out of stock on …… Rao’s arrabbiata sauce!!!!!!!

😢😢

(Best sauce in the world btw, category killer, word to the wise)
Funny, our local supermarket is out of their marinara, but you can find arrabbiata jars almost overflowing the shelf.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

😢

Well, I won’t disparage anyone’s neighbors, that would be wrong. Perhaps they prefer mild dishes or have delicate stomachs. Perhaps they are busy or incurious and haven’t gotten around to trying it. More for you then!

(It’s liquid fire!)
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

jlawrence01 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:28 pm I live in a rural part of Arizona and after the first three or four months of the pandemic, there has been NO significant shortage of what you would call vbasic staples and food.

Sure, the strawberry pop-tarts were out of stock for a couple weeks. And the hi-pulp orange juice has been spotty.

When you are used to having 40k SKUs in a store and now only having 37k SKUs, life is terrible. Of course, when many of us were younger, there were only 20k SKUs in most supermarkets.
Yes, when i was a kid, there were only two flavors of potato chips - regular and barbecue. Then one day they introduced sour cream & onion, and the world started going downhill from there!
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:33 pm Canned cat food. The shelves are down to about 25%,even for the expensive brands (including Walmart, Kroger and Petsmart). Fortunately my little girl isn't picky, but I would rather she have some of the better brands since she's still a kitten.
"...since she's still a kitten."

That might be part of the problem. I hear that everyone is getting pets these days, i guess for companionship during pandemic and telecommuting. Might be causing much higher demand for pet food.

A confession -- i get a bit mean and tend to refer to pets as four-footed carbon footprints!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:59 pm I wasn’t going to mention this, since it’s too tragic, but ok:

😢😢

Shhhh! You're not helping!
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:34 am

😢😢

It isn't quite the same, but DH now adds red pepper flakes to boring sauces sometimes. Got desperate when Rao's was missing from the shelves!
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

MadHungarian wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:20 am
Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:33 pm Canned cat food. The shelves are down to about 25%,even for the expensive brands (including Walmart, Kroger and Petsmart). Fortunately my little girl isn't picky, but I would rather she have some of the better brands since she's still a kitten.
"...since she's still a kitten."

That might be part of the problem. I hear that everyone is getting pets these days, i guess for companionship during pandemic and telecommuting. Might be causing much higher demand for pet food.

A confession -- i get a bit mean and tend to refer to pets as four-footed carbon footprints!
Not mean at all. I go riding on occasion; now talk about a carbon foot print, what about Laddie, the horse I ride? LOL. So far, no issues with hay, though some other areas of the country are having a shortage, but that's due to weather.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Certain brands and types of:

Cough syrup
Cough and cold meds, etc.
Certain sizes and types of "Band Aids" (this is strange).
Certain brands and sizes of alcohol wipes, those little prepackaged square things.

I've also noticed over time, whether a result of the "pandemic" chaos convolution everythings et al" or not, that many stores, from groceries to products, no longer have a large stock of many things on the shelves as in the past.

For example: despite being a busy grocery store, the local Walmart has smaller boxes and less in quantity of frozen vegetables.

Costco was out of toilet paper the other day. Considering how busy they are, not sure how things run out?

Not sure why?
Strange.

j
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:57 am Certain brands and types of:

Cough syrup
Cough and cold meds, etc.
Certain sizes and types of "Band Aids" (this is strange).
Certain brands and sizes of alcohol wipes, those little prepackaged square things.

I've also noticed over time, whether a result of the "pandemic" chaos convolution everythings or not, that many stores, from groceries to products, no longer have a large stock of many things on the shelves as in the past. For example: despite being a busy grocery store, the local Walmart has smaller boxes and less in quantity of frozen vegetables.

Not sure why?
Strange.

j
Back home my favorite cold medicine (actually works best for my allergies) doubled in price. When I can find it here on the other coast, it is the old price!

But veggies cost so much more here.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

sailaway wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:45 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:34 am

😢😢

It isn't quite the same, but DH now adds red pepper flakes to boring sauces sometimes. Got desperate when Rao's was missing from the shelves!
So long as your adding the red pepper flakes to Rao's Marinara, should still be quite good :)
My Costco is selling Rao's marinara - tandem pack (it's Costco) of the large bottles.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Frozen pearl onions, haven't been able to find them in any store locally for more than a year.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Motion detector floodlights. The orange bucket store had one really cheap one, a couple of the really expensive wifi enabled ones, and a lot of empty shelves.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

quantAndHold wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:37 pm Motion detector floodlights. The orange bucket store had one really cheap one, a couple of the really expensive wifi enabled ones, and a lot of empty shelves.
Back at the orange bucket store again, motion detector lights are back in stock, but they’re now about 15% more expensive than they were before.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:57 am

Costco was out of toilet paper the other day. Considering how busy they are, not sure how things run out?

phrasing lol :D

---------------------------------------
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

This week, everything grocery. People seem to think it’s March of 2020 again, and they’re buying everything out again.

Also, rapid tests, but that goes without saying.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:14 pm This week, everything grocery. People seem to think it’s March of 2020 again, and they’re buying everything out again.

We ordered two different types of rapid tests last week, with "expected arrivals" of late next week ("7-14 days"). We were surprised to find a reputable source that wasn't listing all types as out of stock.

The first package arrived this morning, a real surprise.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

Sugar free Red Bull has been scarce for a month or so.
1 fund
dowse

Post by dowse »

Cream cheese, of all things. Bought some everything goat cheese instead. Also, can't find Nabisco oyster crackers anywhere.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:14 pm This week, everything grocery. People seem to think it’s March of 2020 again, and they’re buying everything out again.
We were on vacation last week in St. George, Utah, it was frightening going to multiple grocery stores and seeing completely empty shelves. Then we returned Thursday, stopped on the way home to pick up a few things, and it was even worse here in Utah County. What the heck?
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:58 pm

We ordered two different types of rapid tests last week, with "expected arrivals" of late next week ("7-14 days"). We were surprised to find a reputable source that wasn't listing all types as out of stock.

RM
A couple of days before Christmas, I got a bug up you know where that we needed rapid tests, so we started obsessively checking the CVS website. When they came in at the local store, my wife raced over. And they were already out, but the cashier told her that the delivery guy was going to the “store on El Cajon Blvd next.” So she chased him over there and got a couple of boxes while they were stocking the shelves.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:57 pm
We were on vacation last week in St. George, Utah, it was frightening going to multiple grocery stores and seeing completely empty shelves. Then we returned Thursday, stopped on the way home to pick up a few things, and it was even worse here in Utah County. What the heck?
We had been going on the assumption that if we had to quarantine, we could get a friend to go out and get groceries for us. But after we saw multiple hospitals lined up for blocks with people waiting to get tested, we realized that if we needed to quarantine, all of our friends would probably need to quarantine too, so we went out and bought some food.

The place that sells mostly to restaurants (but started opening to the public early in the pandemic) had plenty of stock. I guess restaurants aren’t buying a lot.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:34 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:58 pm

RM
A couple of days before Christmas, I got a bug up you know where that we needed rapid tests, so we started obsessively checking the CVS website. When they came in at the local store, my wife raced over. And they were already out, but the cashier told her that the delivery guy was going to the “store on El Cajon Blvd next.” So she chased him over there and got a couple of boxes while they were stocking the shelves.
So... Inside Information, eh?
:wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
mkc

Post by mkc »

dowse wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:07 pm Cream cheese, of all things. Bought some everything goat cheese instead. Also, can't find Nabisco oyster crackers anywhere.
I have a bag of the oyster crackers, but just encountered the cream cheese shortage yesterday.

FYI - Serious Eats has a homemade oyster cracker recipe that's pretty good https://www.seriouseats.com/diy-oyster-crackers-recipe.

I found a number of recipes online for cream cheese, with and without cultures. SmittenKitchen has one without and I've had good luck with Deb's recipes https://smittenkitchen.com/2020/09/home ... am-cheese/.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Cream cheese and pretzels.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

5”x3” tin, disposable mini loaf pans.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

dowse wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:07 pm Cream cheese, of all things. Bought some everything goat cheese instead. Also, can't find Nabisco oyster crackers anywhere.
Albertsons/Safeway/Vons makes a decent oyster cracker for a generic, if you have any of their stores nearby. But then again, we still have cream cheese around here, so supplies vary by region.
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

The stock at SuperTarget is way down this week, and has been spotty for months. I used to be able to get "everything" there. Found out they no longer stock matches or Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder (a staple in my house). Almost no Fancy Feast cat food on the shelves.
MJS

Post by MJS »

PoppyA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:32 pm 5”x3” tin, disposable mini loaf pans.
+1. Was it supply lines or more people making holiday gifts?
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

I have been feeding Purina Pro Plan Senior 7+ Brain Support (i.e. Bright Mind) to my Senior Golden Retriever for several years as she has a sensitive tummy. I also, believe it helps her cognitive ability, as advertised, as she is still very playful and alert at her advanced age. Seems that ~ 18 months ago Purina changed the packaging (not sure if recipe changed) and it slowly became harder to find on shelves. I always purchased at local Petco using discounted GC's (actually cards with store credit) and now they claim it's not a stock item and only available online at full retail price ~ +$60 / 30 lb. bag. This is a cost issue as I cannot use the CG's on the Petco website. I since changed to Amazon, via subscribe & save, purchasing for ~ $50 / 30 lb. bag. Last couple of shipments it was not in-stock and order was cancelled. Looks like I may have to revert to Petco on-line paying full price, if even now available. :oops:
I have seen others post similar about pet food availability, what is going on with Pet Food availability???? :?:
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

AllMostThere wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:11 am...I always purchased at local Petco ... Amazon
My stores seem to have a better supply chain right now, and shelves are looking better.

Have you looked at Chewie.com? My friend was quite satisfied with their services when her cat was still with her.

OTH, if the manufacturer is discontinuing the line, that's nothing you can fix. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer directly, or at least visiting their website to see if there's info there?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Frozen vegetables, chicken, eggs, and fresh greens all have buy limits at our local grocer ATM. Also, a lot of totally empty shelves, especially fresh produce. Even during the peak of the craziness spring of '20, I don't recall this store ever having buy limits on anything but toilet paper.
foamypirate

Post by foamypirate »

Can’t seem to find plain Jane regular frozen hash browns. You can get every other variety of potato product, such as hash browns O’Brien (diced potatoes w/ bell pepper), French fries, waffle fries, curly fries, etc. Just no regular hash browns.

We tried 5 different stores over several weeks before we found some.

It’s weird.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

AllMostThere wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:11 am I have been feeding Purina Pro Plan Senior 7+ Brain Support (i.e. Bright Mind) to my Senior Golden Retriever for several years as she has a sensitive tummy. I also, believe it helps her cognitive ability, as advertised, as she is still very playful and alert at her advanced age. Seems that ~ 18 months ago Purina changed the packaging (not sure if recipe changed) and it slowly became harder to find on shelves. I always purchased at local Petco using discounted GC's (actually cards with store credit) and now they claim it's not a stock item and only available online at full retail price ~ +$60 / 30 lb. bag. This is a cost issue as I cannot use the CG's on the Petco website. I since changed to Amazon, via subscribe & save, purchasing for ~ $50 / 30 lb. bag. Last couple of shipments it was not in-stock and order was cancelled. Looks like I may have to revert to Petco on-line paying full price, if even now available. :oops:
I have seen others post similar about pet food availability, what is going on with Pet Food availability???? :?:
I have read that multiple pet food companies are struggling with supply issues for certain ingredients, and increased cost issues for multiple ingredients including very common ones that they need. Plus the worldwide issues with staffing and supply chain that affects all industries.

Being able to find the food you want, and needing to pay a bit more, is probably a win. The alternative is not being able to find it. I have a dog with special diet needs. The vet said there were three possible prescription diets that could meet his needs. I was only able to find one in stock at all, locally at my vet or others nearby, or through mail order (with Rx in my case). Luckily that one seems to be working for him.
Ktndlx

Post by Ktndlx »

I saw something alarmingly curious the other day. While I was shopping in Aldi a gentleman was cherry picking several case boxes of green onions. I saw that he already had two full cases in his cart as I passed. I also saw that he had 10 to 12 bags of lemons in his cart as well. Are restaurants having supply issues too?
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

Yes.

Was at a national chain many weeks ago, they were out of more things than expected. Waiter even mentioned that they had to get some basics from the local grocery store.
Mysterious

Post by Mysterious »

I have a relative that works for Wal-Mart distribution warehouse. They have begun sending workers home due to lack of anything to distribute. They spent December cleaning out the warehouses. So, now in January it is sending workers home. February they will begin cutting shifts (24/7 operation).
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

AllMostThere wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:11 am I have been feeding Purina Pro Plan Senior 7+ Brain Support (i.e. Bright Mind) to my Senior Golden Retriever for several years as she has a sensitive tummy. I also, believe it helps her cognitive ability, as advertised, as she is still very playful and alert at her advanced age. Seems that ~ 18 months ago Purina changed the packaging (not sure if recipe changed) and it slowly became harder to find on shelves. I always purchased at local Petco using discounted GC's (actually cards with store credit) and now they claim it's not a stock item and only available online at full retail price ~ +$60 / 30 lb. bag. This is a cost issue as I cannot use the CG's on the Petco website. I since changed to Amazon, via subscribe & save, purchasing for ~ $50 / 30 lb. bag. Last couple of shipments it was not in-stock and order was cancelled. Looks like I may have to revert to Petco on-line paying full price, if even now available. :oops:
I feel your pain. The manufacturer of my cats' original food (pre-pandemic) changed their formula around this time last year (I'm not sure if due to supply chain issues or just a planned product line change) and my cats did NOT do well on the new formula. I finally found something new that they are doing well on, then Petco raised the canned food case prices by $15+ in December. I've switched the order over to Chewy now, which is closer to the old prices (within a few dollars, which is reasonable with current inflation).

Other places to check beyond Petco, Amazon, and Chewy are Petsmart, Target, Walmart, grocery stores (price will be higher), feed/agricultural stores, and local pet/livestock supply stores.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:13 pm

Other places to check beyond Petco, Amazon, and Chewy are Petsmart, Target, Walmart, grocery stores (price will be higher), feed/agricultural stores, and local pet/livestock supply stores.
Also try PetsuppliesPlus if you have one local. Ours carries ProPlan Senior 7+ Bright Mind https://www.petsuppliesplus.com/categor ... mula/20626

Tractor Supply is another option https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... -30-lb-bag
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

InMyDreams wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:41 am
AllMostThere wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:11 am...I always purchased at local Petco ... Amazon
My stores seem to have a better supply chain right now, and shelves are looking better.

Have you looked at Chewie.com? My friend was quite satisfied with their services when her cat was still with her.

OTH, if the manufacturer is discontinuing the line, that's nothing you can fix. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer directly, or at least visiting their website to see if there's info there?
I've had good luck with Chewy all throughout the pandemic. I did order an extra bag of Science Diet kibble for my dog recently a few weeks early in case there are any issues this month. Good service for several years now.
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

Two things- the first would be fun- everything seems to have some danger involved (concerts, sporting events, cruises, train rides)

the second would be certain soups lately, Progresso, Campbells
3of10

Post by 3of10 »

Gatorade (G2). I can't find it anywhere in the local supermarkets for the flavors I'm looking for.
"You don't stop playing because you're old. You're old because you've stopped playing"
vrex

Post by vrex »

Consumable bicycle parts like cassettes, chain rings, tires and tubes.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Mens bathing suits online. I've tried my usuals of Patagonia Baggies Long, Thousand Mile, Territory Ahead,and a couple of others.

In large size, no availability in large except in one or two really horrible patterns. The Patagonia store in HNL confirms the scarcity as does online.

There are some used Patagonia's on ebay, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

Finally snagged the last one at Thousand Mile, but was unable to order a 2nd.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Frozen Brussels sprouts.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Chewable antacids have been hard to find here since before Christmas. Finally this week there was one flavour back, not my usual, but I picked up two bags.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

canadianbacon wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:03 pm Chewable antacids have been hard to find here since before Christmas. Finally this week there was one flavour back, not my usual, but I picked up two bags.
Just goes to show how regional the supply issues are. I had no issue getting two bottles of Tums on a promotional sale earlier this month.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:08 pm
canadianbacon wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:03 pm Chewable antacids have been hard to find here since before Christmas. Finally this week there was one flavour back, not my usual, but I picked up two bags.
Just goes to show how regional the supply issues are. I had no issue getting two bottles of Tums on a promotional sale earlier this month.
The regular tablets were available, but I wanted the chewables (think like Starburst) because I'm a big baby :).
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

OLD THREAD, but it seems like Groundhog Day, again.

We run into more items each shopping trip. Some we chalk off to covid related effects, some to climate change and some to who knows what, but some common stuff is just not available.

Today's latest is TJ chocolate chip fudge vanilla ice cream. The cashier suggested that I buy as much as I have freezer space to store since it's being discontinued. Oh well, back to Haagen Dazs when vanilla chocolate chip is available.

Also TJ California Estate Olive Oil. Told it's the hot summer last year. Or another suggestion is, it's the fires. Either way, out of stock, not sure when/if it will return.

We need gluten free products and have used Orrington Farms Beef Flavored Broth Base and Orrington Farm Au Jus Mix forever. (Can't use Better Than Bouillon brand; they took GF off the label and will not comment.) Suddenly the Au Jus is not available anywhere and quoting on Amazon/Walmart/etc as not sure when/if it will return. The Broth Base was out for awhile and now in limited supply at multiples of the price several weeks ago.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Leather cushions for the IKEA Poäng chairs. None in stock, none expected in for the next four weeks.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

One big frustration is having to goto multiple stores to get a home improvement project done. My evaporative cooler needed several parts plus new pads. I had to goto four different hardware stores to get everything plus had to order one part online. All of the stores had online inventory that said they had the products in stock but actually did not.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin