Best watch for $5,000+

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mak1277

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by mak1277 »

Schlabba wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:44 am Yesterday I got the call. Now I am sitting here with my new Explorer on my wrist! :sharebeer

They estimation on the waiting list was way off, it only took 5 weeks.

Now I need to go look for a springbar tool :happy
No please no. That watch is meant to be on the original bracelet!!!

Congrats on getting it.
Schlabba

Post by Schlabba »

mak1277 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:55 am
Schlabba wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:44 am Yesterday I got the call. Now I am sitting here with my new Explorer on my wrist! :sharebeer

Congrats on getting it.
I need it for the easylink clasp. And I’d like to keep my options open for a leather strap :D
desiderium

Post by desiderium »

Schlabba wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:31 am

Congrats on getting it.
I need it for the easylink clasp. And I’d like to keep my options open for a leather strap :D
Congratulations. This watch is what I wear daily and I love the look for the same reasons you have given. The easylink bracelet adjustment can be done without a tool.

I also like the look of vintage explorers on a leather strap, though a 1016 was out of my range a few years ago at less than half the price they go for now. I assumed you could not really put this new watch on a leather strap, but I see that someone makes straps that integrate with the curved case:

https://www.everestbands.com/products/e ... &utm_term=.

I have not seen this approach with recent model Rolex in the wild. Something to consider and no harm in trying it.
Cash

Post by Cash »

I think the stainless steel Rolex Sky-Dweller is one of the best bangs for the mechanical watch buck (assuming you don’t overpay). Annual calendar + GMT complications executed in a genius, minimalistic way.

For true watch nerds, I say first generation Datograph. That chronograph movement is something to behold. And you get the useful big date complication on the front, along with a superbly well balanced dial.
Schlabba

Post by Schlabba »

desiderium wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:04 am

Congrats on getting it.
Congratulations. This watch is what I wear daily and I love the look for the same reasons you have given. The easylink bracelet adjustment can be done without a tool.

I also like the look of vintage explorers on a leather strap, though a 1016 was out of my range a few years ago at less than half the price they go for now. I assumed you could not really put this new watch on a leather strap, but I see that someone makes straps that integrate with the curved case:

I have not seen this approach with recent model Rolex in the wild. Something to consider and no harm in trying it.
How ? There is a little click it can do, and there is a spring bar with 3 positions. This image shows it best: https://images.app.goo.gl/KCTNc4uitnJsJfLVA Where the right side connects with the clasp, that springbar I'm talking about.

Or did you mean simply using a tiny screwdriver?
desiderium

Post by desiderium »

Schlabba wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:47 pm

Congrats on getting it.

How ? There is a little click it can do, and there is a spring bar with 3 positions. This image shows it best: https://images.app.goo.gl/KCTNc4uitnJsJfLVA Where the right side connects with the clasp, that springbar I'm talking about.

Here is a video of the 5mm adjustment that can be done without tools. https://youtu.be/942TGgWip6U. Perhaps there are other manipulations you can make with a tool. My dealer sized my bracelet by removing links and showing me how to adjust the easylink for fine-tuning
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

I just tried a Zenith 42mm El Primero Chronomaster today at AD. It is, simply, a beautiful piece of timekeeping. A bit out of my price range. But if I had to pick a single nice watch, and trim my collection, this would be it.
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

StormShadow wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 pm
mak1277 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 pm Can you really get a new Breguet Type XX for under $10k? I don't like buying other people's used stuff, so I'm only interested in new watches.
Ugh, paying retail for any of these watches doesn't make sense to me. The markup is ridiculous... on an already ridiculously expensive watch!

I'm all about maintaining value and the only way to do this would be through the pre-owned route.

Watches that I like (non-Rolex):
Cartier: Tank Louis Cartier in gold
Omega: Speedmaster
Patek Phillipe: Calatrava (with or without complication) and any Nautilus in steel (hah, good luck finding one for < $30k)
A. Lange Sohne: Lange 1 and 1815.
Panerai: Just pick one.
JLC: Any Reverso

Its funny, but the pre-owned market also includes the most expensive and most sought after watches on the planet. Case-in-point: Paul Newman's Rolex Daytona which was auctioned off for $17.8 Million. A watch so famous that every other Daytona with a similar dial regularly auctions off for way way over $100k

Saw your recent post. I agree with you in not paying full MSRP for new watch.

Where have you bought in past with good results?

Omegaforums
Chrono24
Jomashop

I have bought on eBay, and private dealer with good results, but think I got lucky both times
MSO4PRN

Post by MSO4PRN »

I have a black submariner
would love a hulk or kermit

also in my rotation:
1980s air king (leather strap)
seiko sarb033
seiko skx009

Really Like what IWC has been making, omega rail master as well.

check out reddit r/watches as well.

grail would be Rolex GMT 16750 pepsi. so cool
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

SuperSaver wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:57 pm
StormShadow wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 pmI'm all about maintaining value and the only way to do this would be through the pre-owned route.

Omegaforums
Chrono24
Jomashop

I have bought on eBay, and private dealer with good results, but think I got lucky both times
I've purchased a watch I saw online once (Submariner Date).

I contacted the seller advertising on Chrono24, then drove to the store in New York to inspect the watch personally. Was already visiting New York for other reasons.

Wired over the money the next day. Got mailed to me within a week.

Went pretty smooth.
Hefph

Post by Hefph »

Currently have a Hamilton, Speedmaster Pro, Hulk, Batman, Explorer II, and am waiting for a Pepsi-should be here in the next month or two. I know this isn't Bogle-like, but I could always sell most of them for more than I paid, and some of them are for sentimental/milestone accomplishments that I plan to pass to my kids/nephews.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Apple watch on sale for $149 is the most I have, and likely ever will spend on a watch.

Stealth wealth is how I roll.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Omegaforums
Chrono24
Jomashop

Transacted successfully on: ebay, timezone, watchuseek.
chrono24.com ive bought both in person, and from dealers that list there.

the horological world is small enough that you can easily cross reference names, usernames, online history, etc. unless you buy an ultra popular brand (e.g. omega) very blindly from people with 0 history, the transaction are relatively safe
TSR

Post by TSR »

StormShadow wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 pm
mak1277 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 pm Can you really get a new Breguet Type XX for under $10k? I don't like buying other people's used stuff, so I'm only interested in new watches.
Ugh, paying retail for any of these watches doesn't make sense to me. The markup is ridiculous... on an already ridiculously expensive watch!

I'm all about maintaining value and the only way to do this would be through the pre-owned route.

Watches that I like (non-Rolex):
Cartier: Tank Louis Cartier in gold
Omega: Speedmaster
Patek Phillipe: Calatrava (with or without complication) and any Nautilus in steel (hah, good luck finding one for < $30k)
A. Lange Sohne: Lange 1 and 1815.
Panerai: Just pick one.
JLC: Any Reverso

Its funny, but the pre-owned market also includes the most expensive and most sought after watches on the planet. Case-in-point: Paul Newman's Rolex Daytona which was auctioned off for $17.8 Million. A watch so famous that every other Daytona with a similar dial regularly auctions off for way way over $100k

Omegaforums
Chrono24
Jomashop

I purchased my Seamaster used from DavidSW -- transaction was very smooth, item was in great shape, and I got the warranty card that I later used for a free repair (was told by the dealer I had "the right kind of warranty card"). Very satisfied.
z91

Post by z91 »

Doublepost..
Last edited by z91 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z91

Post by z91 »

Schlabba wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:47 pm

Congrats on getting it.

Interesting that this is an image from a replica watch site :shock:
Schlabba

Post by Schlabba »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:21 am
Schlabba wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:17 am
Oddibe McDowell wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:54 am
eye.surgeon wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm I'd suggest a classic Casio G-Shock 5600 and $4950 in your pocket. And this coming from a guy wearing a submariner that I wish I'd never bought.
Eye Surgeon - I hear you! I own and still love my Sub, but don't wear it sometimes as I don't like people knowing I'm wearing a "Rolex." In that sense I do have a little buyer's remorse at times.

Not sure how closely you look at this stuff - but assuming your Sub is a stainless steel one (either 5 digit for 6 digit) - chances are you can sell it now for at least as much if not more than you paid for it. Might be an option if you are wanting to unload it / get your money back. That's one nice thing about a Rolex - they tend to hold their value.
I just recently joined the waiting list for a Rolex Explorer (214270). Part of the reason of choosing that watch was that it might not be noticed by non-watch fans. Did you often get comments on your watch?

And yes rolex holding its value was a big factor in deciding to buy one. If I ever regret it I’ll sell it and get my money back. The only risk ofcourse is damaging it or having it stolen.
I have gotten exactly one (positive) comment on my submariner in 2 1/2 years of owning it.
StevieG72 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:17 am Apple watch on sale for $149 is the most I have, and likely ever will spend on a watch.

Stealth wealth is how I roll.
Owning the right Rolex is quite stealthy I would say. I've only been wearing mine to work for 3 days now and noone noticed out of the roughly 20 people I met, but as far as I read online noone will notice (thats also why I quoted mak1277).

Any other brand is completely anonymous for non-watch people.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Schlabba wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:03 pm
Owning the right Rolex is quite stealthy I would say. I've only been wearing mine to work for 3 days now and noone noticed out of the roughly 20 people I met, but as far as I read online noone will notice (thats also why I quoted mak1277).

Any other brand is completely anonymous for non-watch people.
Ha! Just saw an Antiques Roadshow clip where a former USAF munitions crewmember brought in the Rolex Daytona is worth a pile o' money:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=494556798129118
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

The rational part of my brain tells me a mechanical chrono is an expensive mistake. I never had much interest in a Speedmaster. I despise the trend towards making a bazillion different 'limited' editions of the same watch. I find the way Omega milks the whole 'Moonwatch' branding rather trite and irritating.

But dangit, I absolutely adore everything about the Silver Snoopy. I need to see this watch in person (if only the stores weren't all still closed). Nice video on it here.
Schlabba

Post by Schlabba »

Independent George wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:11 pm The rational part of my brain tells me a mechanical chrono is an expensive mistake. I never had much interest in a Speedmaster. I despise the trend towards making a bazillion different 'limited' editions of the same watch. I find the way Omega milks the whole 'Moonwatch' branding rather trite and irritating.

But dangit, I absolutely adore everything about the Silver Snoopy. I need to see this watch in person (if only the stores weren't all still closed). Nice video on it here.
I like comparing the depreciation of my Rolex Explorer to an Apple Watch. If I go to chrono24 and look up a 10yr old Explorer it lost 1000€ compared to the 6200€ I paid for it today. (I don't know how expensive it was 10 years ago, maybe they were cheaper? So it could have increased in price?). In 10 years time you probably burn through 3 Apple Watches, so the Apple Watches are more expensive.

Well that's how I justify it :D, and that might also be true for the Omega Snoopy.
Independent George

Schlabba wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:23 pm I like comparing the depreciation of my Rolex Explorer to an Apple Watch. If I go to chrono24 and look up a 10yr old Explorer it lost 1000€ compared to the 6200€ I paid for it today. (I don't know how expensive it was 10 years ago, maybe they were cheaper? So it could have increased in price?). In 10 years time you probably burn through 3 Apple Watches, so the Apple Watches are more expensive.

Well that's how I justify it :D, and that might also be true for the Omega Snoopy.
I don't much care about resale value, but the problem with mechanical chronographs is that they are ridiculously expensive to service, and by nature are more likely to be in need of service than non-chrono movements.

But dangit that Snoopy is beautiful. I can usually nitpick every watch I look at, but there isn't a single thing I dislike besides the $10k price tag.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Independent George wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:11 pm The rational part of my brain tells me a mechanical chrono is an expensive mistake. I never had much interest in a Speedmaster. I despise the trend towards making a bazillion different 'limited' editions of the same watch. I find the way Omega milks the whole 'Moonwatch' branding rather trite and irritating.
It's not just an Omega thing. It's all mechanical watches. There's a lack of (tasteful) creativity, and no feature-based differentiation (outside of million-dollar grande complications), so they HAVE to sell watches on the basis of lineage and history.

That's why there are so many replica of the Royal Oak, every company's take on the B-Uhr, innumerable variants of the Reverso, every Panerai ever made is essentially 3 different models.... and the absolute worse, the entire Rolex Submariner and Daytona phenomenon.

If you want something unique, you have to explore microbrands and other independents (like Nomos).

That said, I do enjoy my original Speedmaster because it IS a timeless design. No matter if they pump out more of them in every shade.
Independent George

hunoraut wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:51 pm It's not just an Omega thing. It's all mechanical watches. There's a lack of (tasteful) creativity, and no feature-based differentiation (outside of million-dollar grande complications), so they HAVE to sell watches on the basis of lineage and history.

That's why there are so many replica of the Royal Oak, every company's take on the B-Uhr, innumerable variants of the Reverso, every Panerai ever made is essentially 3 different models.... and the absolute worse, the entire Rolex Submariner and Daytona phenomenon.

If you want something unique, you have to explore microbrands and other independents (like Nomos).

That said, I do enjoy my original Speedmaster because it IS a timeless design. No matter if they pump out more of them in every shade.
I love microbrands - I have several at different price points, for precisely the reasons you enumerate. One of the reasons I love Grand Seiko put out genuinely new and interesting watch designs every year.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

hunoraut wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:51 pm
It's not just an Omega thing. It's all mechanical watches. There's a lack of (tasteful) creativity, and no feature-based differentiation (outside of million-dollar grande complications), so they HAVE to sell watches on the basis of lineage and history.

Exactly how is the Speedy "timeless" but the Sub isn't?
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

mak1277 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:38 am

Where was it expressed that the Sub isn't?

I said these are the watches that spawn a million variants, in-house designs and outside "homages", for better or worse. Out of that lot, I'm personally fond of the Speedmaster.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

hunoraut wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:46 am
mak1277 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:38 am

Where was it expressed that the Sub isn't?

I said these are the watches that spawn a million variants, in-house designs and outside "homages", for better or worse. Out of that lot, I'm personally fond of the Speedmaster.
You lumped the Sub into a pretty negative comment about other brands like JLC and Panerai not being creative and said it was "the worst". I didn't realize you were talking about Sub homages (since nobody is really making homages of the reverso that I've ever seen).
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

mak1277 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:59 am You lumped the Sub into a pretty negative comment about other brands like JLC and Panerai not being creative and said it was "the worst". I didn't realize you were talking about Sub homages (since nobody is really making homages of the reverso that I've ever seen).
They AREN'T creative. Or, they haven't had to be.

There exists...thousands of Submariner ref? As collectors latch onto the minute differences of the font being in one serif versus another, whether depth marking are in meters or feet, or if theres an otherwise unnoticeable underline in the marking or not, Rolex exploits this and pumps out more and more variant with the most subtle of differences.

Who can blame them?

Yes, I am "negative" of this this fact. No, that doesn't preclude me from liking the original design. I actually rather like the general aesthetic of the Submariner, and the Radiomir. But there is no hiding that it is 99% the same design since 50 years ago.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

hunoraut wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:16 am
mak1277 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:59 am You lumped the Sub into a pretty negative comment about other brands like JLC and Panerai not being creative and said it was "the worst". I didn't realize you were talking about Sub homages (since nobody is really making homages of the reverso that I've ever seen).
They AREN'T creative. Or, they haven't had to be.

There exists...thousands of Submariner ref? As collectors latch onto the minute differences of the font being in one serif versus another, whether depth marking are in meters or feet, or if theres an otherwise unnoticeable underline in the marking or not, Rolex exploits this and pumps out more and more variant with the most subtle of differences.

Who can blame them?

Yes, I am "negative" of this this fact. No, that doesn't preclude me from liking the original design. I actually rather like the general aesthetic of the Submariner, and the Radiomir. But there is no hiding that it is 99% the same design since 50 years ago.
I have no problem with this continuity. I love the fact that you can buy a Sub today that basically looks just like the original Sub. I don't think Rolex makes subtle changes to sell watches to collectors. I think they just do what they want, knowing they're going to sell a ton of watches, period. They're the one brand that *doesn't* have to pander to watch nerds.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

Recession comes for watch collectors.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rolex-watc ... 1659495619
The watch resale market, where prices for hyped timepieces skyrocketed to record figures in recent years, is floating back down to earth.

According to sales data from Chrono24, a watch resale marketplace, a stainless steel Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711 that sold for more than $194,000 in January is now trading closer to $145,000. Sales of the steel Rolex Daytona 116500LN with a white dial on the platform have slumped by more than $12,000 from a peak of over $52,000 in May. And the steel Audemars Piguet Royal Oak with a white dial is down by nearly $20,000 from its March peak of around $75,000.

“We do see a softening, but we definitely don’t see it across the market. We just see it, especially with some of the trophy watches,” said Tim Stracke, co-CEO of Chrono24. He likened the takeoff and tumble of these so-called trophy watches to meme stocks like AMC and GameStop: In both arenas, surging prices were driven by a heady mix of pandemic boredom and excess capital. The comedown has coincided with the contraction of global economic markets.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

mak1277 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:41 pm Hopefully this gives the thread new life! Thanks.

Anyone have good recommendations for the $5k - 10k price range besides the usual suspects (Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko)?
Unless you want your 10k watch to become 5k as soon as you wear it, stick to SS rolex
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Dang, I should have hung onto my grail pieces a few years longer. Who knew a Daytona would go to $52k? And a 5711 for $194k? Yikes!
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
Aged Maduro

Post by Aged Maduro »

The best watch i have ever owned cost me about $100. I have worn it to weddings, funerals, business meetings and country clubs. It gets compliments all the time and has never let me down. It's the Invicta Automatic Pro Diver.

https://www.amazon.com/Invicta-8926OB-S ... B000JQFX1G
rich126

Post by rich126 »

SebastianIII wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:50 pm I would start out with a Rolex at a min, its not a watch, its a time piece.
Pick what you can afford to spend within reason.
I bought my first Rolex on my first job out of college, Stainless and gold Submariner black face and its
still running strong 33 years later and worth more today than what i paid with inflation of course.
Rolex is a watch for a lifetime and can be handed down and means a lot as it was "dad's or mom's"
Years later I bought Gold Presidential and now that costs much more than when i purchased it.
I inherited a gold vacheron-constantin watch and band from my Dad and its a very cool Vintage watch, there's a
lot of people that love vintage watches and they are very cool, so some of you may be interested in going that route.

https://www.rolex.com/watches.html
https://www.alanfurman.com/rolex/
Way back around 2003 I was thinking about buying a Rolex but I'm not sure how comfortable I would have been to wear it out in public. I'm not in a position where I wear expensive clothes, etc. so it just seemed too far over the top. Obviously investment wise it would have been a good time to get one.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

rockstar wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:08 pm If I was going to buy an expensive watch, I'd get a Patek Philippe otherwise I'd wear an Apple Watch.

https://www.patek.com/en/collection/all-models
+1 Patek, A. Lange & Söhne or Audemars Piguet.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

I owned Omega Speedmaster for years. Grew bored of it, and sold it.

Then, BAM! Just saw that Omega & Swatch teamed up to make a new series of watches to collaborate. And for 90% less than the original Speedmaster cost, I got a plastic quartz version of my old Speedy Pro.

It looks great. Never needs winding. And if I lose it/break it, no big deal.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/watches/a ... ollab-2022
corn18

Post by corn18 »

SuperSaver wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:38 am I owned Omega Speedmaster for years. Grew bored of it, and sold it.

Then, BAM! Just saw that Omega & Swatch teamed up to make a new series of watches to collaborate. And for 90% less than the original Speedmaster cost, I got a plastic quartz version of my old Speedy Pro.

It looks great. Never needs winding. And if I lose it/break it, no big deal.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/watches/a ... ollab-2022
Got it, you're not a watch person. You don't buy a Speedy Pro because it is a good value. Or any watch over $100, really.

I am a watch guy. I own some expensive watches. And I still wear my $60 G-Shock 99% of the time. My goto expensive watch(es) is my Bremont customs. I have sold most of my expensive watches and may sell more of them.
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

Quite the contrary.

I own omega seamaster Pro, Zenith, Seiko’s, Hamilton’s, and Swatches.

And my $80 Seiko gives me just as much enjoyment as my fancy watches

Wear what you like.
afan

Post by afan »

There are many of these prized Rolex models on sale used for far lower prices. Many from what appear to be reputable dealers. Are they all fakes? Or is the hysteria to buy one reserved for new watches?

Sure, one would not want to pay, say, $10,000 for a fake. But the motivation to go to an authorized dealer, buy other expensive watches to be taken seriously and beg to be put on a waitlist for what you want is lost on me. You could avoid all of thus and buy used. Even if you add in the cost of a service and restoration, you come out far ahead.

What am I missing?
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
corn18

Post by corn18 »

afan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:18 am There are many of these prized Rolex models on sale used for far lower prices. Many from what appear to be reputable dealers. Are they all fakes? Or is the hysteria to buy one reserved for new watches?

Sure, one would not want to pay, say, $10,000 for a fake. But the motivation to go to an authorized dealer, buy other expensive watches to be taken seriously and beg to be put on a waitlist for what you want is lost on me. You could avoid all of thus and buy used. Even if you add in the cost of a service and restoration, you come out far ahead.

What am I missing?
Not mising anything. Except used Rolexes are selling for more than retial MSRP right now.
Independent George

Tanelorn wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:30 pm Recession comes for watch collectors.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rolex-watc ... 1659495619
The watch resale market, where prices for hyped timepieces skyrocketed to record figures in recent years, is floating back down to earth.

According to sales data from Chrono24, a watch resale marketplace, a stainless steel Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711 that sold for more than $194,000 in January is now trading closer to $145,000. Sales of the steel Rolex Daytona 116500LN with a white dial on the platform have slumped by more than $12,000 from a peak of over $52,000 in May. And the steel Audemars Piguet Royal Oak with a white dial is down by nearly $20,000 from its March peak of around $75,000.

“We do see a softening, but we definitely don’t see it across the market. We just see it, especially with some of the trophy watches,” said Tim Stracke, co-CEO of Chrono24. He likened the takeoff and tumble of these so-called trophy watches to meme stocks like AMC and GameStop: In both arenas, surging prices were driven by a heady mix of pandemic boredom and excess capital. The comedown has coincided with the contraction of global economic markets.
Correction: recession comes for watch flippers. For watch collectors, this is great news.

Like any hobby, I expect to spend money collecting watches without ever once turning a profit. I do it because I enjoy it, and can afford to enjoy it. The people who obsess over resale value are either dealers (whether part-time or professional), or folks looking to flex their wealth.
afan

Post by afan »

corn18 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:16 am
afan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:18 am There are many of these prized Rolex models on sale used for far lower prices. Many from what appear to be reputable dealers. Are they all fakes? Or is the hysteria to buy one reserved for new watches?

What am I missing?
Not mising anything. Except used Rolexes are selling for more than retial MSRP right now.
Since I can satisfy my watch fascination without buying one, there may be something about the watches on sale that makes them less desirable, but I see thousands of Submariners on Chrono24. Used and new. I see thousands of used that are less expensive than the new watches.
Maybe when you actually try to buy one you have to go through an application and interview? You are only permitted to buy if you pass? The website does not mention this, and I am not going to waste anyone's time by pretending I plan to buy such a watch.

But with the thousands available from one well-known site, I find it hard to believe the watches themselves are that rare. With Rolex apparently making about 1,000,000 watches per year, how rare can they be? They are not like some grand complication limited edition ALS or PP, where there really are few made.

You want a Rolex steel submariner, go online and buy one. Or 10, if you have the money.
Not a criticism of Rolex at all. I just do not get the scarcity behavior around a watch that is not scarce.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
Independent George

One of the reasons Rolexes have been hard to find is because they were being bought up by the Chinese in large numbers. With the recent debt issues, I can see that market going either way - either less demand due to softening macroeconomic conditions, or more demand because they're small, portable, durable goods that hold value.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I recommend that you do not spend so much money on a watch. You can get a good casio for $25. Why spend more?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

afan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:14 pm .. I see thousands of Submariners on Chrono24. Used and new. I see thousands of used that are less expensive than the new watches.

But with the thousands available from one well-known site, I find it hard to believe the watches themselves are that rare. With Rolex apparently making about 1,000,000 watches per year, how rare can they be?

You want a Rolex steel submariner, go online and buy one. Or 10, if you have the money.
Not a criticism of Rolex at all. I just do not get the scarcity behavior around a watch that is not scarce.

1. they are rare ipso facto because of relative count of how many people want one, vs how much is available.

2. many people want very particular ones, instead of "just" a submariner..

2. the fact that rolex makes today, and made historically, hundreds and thousands of variants -- hence some people desiring very particular ones -- is not something im a fan of either

viewtopic.php?p=5543317#p5543317
afan

Post by afan »

Independent George wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:19 pm One of the reasons Rolexes have been hard to find is because they were being bought up by the Chinese in large numbers. With the recent debt issues, I can see that market going either way - either less demand due to softening macroeconomic conditions, or more demand because they're small, portable, durable goods that hold value.
Well, the "hold value" part appears to be eroding.
Since I can admire watches without buying one, I do not pay attention to what prices may be. It just seems crazy to jump through a lot of hoops to get a watch from the company that sells, by far, the largest number of pieces, with thousands available online at the click of a mouse.
afan

Post by afan »

hunoraut wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:08 pm

1. they are rare ipso facto because of relative count of how many people want one, vs how much is available.

2. many people want very particular ones, instead of "just" a submariner..

2. the fact that rolex makes today, and made historically, hundreds and thousands of variants -- hence some people desiring very particular ones -- is not something im a fan of either

viewtopic.php?p=5543317#p5543317
Thousands available at a click means they are neither rare, nor is there an excess of demand over supply.

For people who want a particular version, that one might be rare. Not an area that matters to me, but I do not hear so much about whether someone wants a particular submariner. I mainly hear about "steel submariner", which are easy to come by. If you want a limited edition with special color, then maybe. But I hear complaints and angst about buying any Rolex, not just a handful of specials.
afan

Post by afan »

Exactly. If you like the design, then why want them to change it? If someone wants a collection of submariners with differences so minute that only another aficionado could recognize that they were not identical, have at it.

If I were to buy an expensive watch I would not get a Rolex, simply because anyone who saw it would know it was an expensive watch. I would far rather have something that does not scream conspicuous consumption.
crossbow

Post by crossbow »

afan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:19 pm
Exactly. If you like the design, then why want them to change it? If someone wants a collection of submariners with differences so minute that only another aficionado could recognize that they were not identical, have at it.

If I were to buy an expensive watch I would not get a Rolex, simply because anyone who saw it would know it was an expensive watch. I would far rather have something that does not scream conspicuous consumption.
https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2021/2/3/ ... sign-price
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Always happy to see the $5000 watch thread active, because it means nature is healing.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

During late 90s a trip to Times-Square -- had bargained and bought a Rolex' double for full $20 cash ;
You gotta believe this - it still shows good time (and date) whenever I take time (pun-intended) to put a battery in it.
Spouse's showroom Bulova stopped-working under 5-years .. didn't even bother to repair it..

Zero servicing costs incurred over nearly 25 years on this Rolex double. Rarely but for fun wear it.
We think - the imitation goods may have stepped-up their game -- as it still correctly reports good time (and Date) even after 25+ years ..